Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 3/18/2023 at 6:52 AM, shapeshifter said:
  • STATEHOOD

Congress relented in 1890 after this prospective state said it would wait 100 years rather than come in without the women

Then, late Friday night, ironically, the news was

On 3/18/2023 at 3:54 PM, Bastet said:

Well, remember that Wyoming granting women's suffrage wasn't purely about thinking women should have the right to vote.  There was - surprise - a lot of racism in the women's suffrage movement; Black men were about to get the right to vote, and it was argued the votes of white women would cancel their votes out.  Also, the bill was written in a way that would have excluded Native American women.  So it's not like Wyoming was a feminist haven from which legislators have now strayed.

Right. "To Be Expected" rather than "Ironic."

I should just never use any form of the word "ironic" because it seemingly never applies.

Now I really want to see a Jeopardy! category titled IT'S IRONIC! about uses and missuses of the term.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
On 3/17/2023 at 7:32 PM, Katy M said:

I said Nevada because I thought they meant that there were no women in the state.  then as soon as I saw she said Wyoming, I knew.

FJ was an instaget for me.  I knew Wyoming as a territory allowed women to vote and figured its admission to the US would've hinged on keeping that right.

I did okay but not great last night.  I ran City Of The Premiere, Out & About The Universe and Ship Out.  Got all but one clue in Shoe Know It, "Tri" Me, The Caribbean (I also chose the Windwards instead of the Leewards), Songs From Movies, Etymology and Irish Authors.  I tend to think of William Butler Yeats as a poet and completely forget about his also being a playwright, every single time.

I got genuine, fact check, Licorice Pizza, journal and Southampton (currently the worst team in the English Premier League but hey they did just embarrass Spurs).

• Applause 1
On 3/17/2023 at 10:31 PM, Bastet said:

but I blew the TV category entirely (I've never seen any of the shoes, and, while I'd spit out Abbott Elementary before due to cultural osmosis,

I only got 2 in that category for the same reason.  Only knew Abbott Elementary and Only Murders in the Building from seeing stuff about them on the internet.

On 3/18/2023 at 3:54 PM, Bastet said:

Well, remember that Wyoming granting women's suffrage wasn't purely about thinking women should have the right to vote.  There was - surprise - a lot of racism in the women's suffrage movement; Black men were about to get the right to vote, and it was argued the votes of white women would cancel their votes out.  Also, the bill was written in a way that would have excluded Native American women.  So it's not like Wyoming was a feminist haven from which legislators have now strayed.

No, but it was ahead of the rest of the Union at the time.  Which of course shows how bad things were.

I just checked the archive, as I won't be home tonight; thankfully, not too many photo clues, and not being able to see them didn't change anything.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" being a TS surprised me, especially after Jake got them most of the way there, but maybe hearing him say it wrong actually made things worse in their heads and they couldn't count words in time to confirm what they were thinking was correct.

So glad to see Michael Caine quoted as buying a house for his mom with his Jaws 4 money; it almost always gets quoted with the part about it being for her left out, sounding as if he bought himself a fancier home with that money.  More power to him if he had, of course, but I think the "mum" bit makes it adorably sweet on top of funny.  This is not where he first discussed it (the quote comes from a much earlier print interview), but here's a cute clip:

I ran "ME", myself, and eye, and got all but one in the rest of the first round.

In DJ, I ran UNESCO, inaugurations, homophones, and got all but one in short stories and songs.  My "worst" category was uncles, in which I missed two, so it was a great round.

FJ was pretty much an instaget, so my J! week is off to a fabulous start.  It's probably all downhill from here, but we'll see.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I said Morocco but for some inconcievable reason changed my answer to tunisia.

I go the missed clues of mealy-mouthed and why.

Had a pretty good game going until final. the only category I missed more tthan 2 clues in was pres inaugurations.

• Like 3

Unless something is wrong with my ears (which I'll admit is a possibility), I call bullshit on Melissa being given credit for Ewan McGregor.  I definitely did NOT hear the "Mc".  I ran it back twice to make sure.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

March 20:

73% / 70% / 72%

Not a terrible start to the week. In J I ran Myself, missed two in Fish Story, three in Gifts for the Sports Fan, and one each in the rest. In DJ I missed two in Short Story, three in Presidential Inaugurations, and one each in the rest. Got all the DDs and my TSes were "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" and Why (England Slept - never heard of the book but it was a logical guess). Very annoyed with myself that I couldn't think of Owl Creek Bridge. Did not get FJ.

Happy Spring, y'all! 🌷

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Unless something is wrong with my ears (which I'll admit is a possibility), I call bullshit on Melissa being given credit for Ewan McGregor.  I definitely did NOT hear the "Mc".  I ran it back twice to make sure.

I just went and found it on youtube and while I did not quite hear the Mc, I was watching her mouth and you can kind of see she says it. Then I slowed it down to .75 speed and I can just hear it. At .5 I can hear it a little more. The closed captions (which it says are auto-generated) also include it. I'm guessing that may have been a stop-and-review moment...

• Thanks 4
  • Useful 2
9 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

and Why (England Slept - never heard of the book but it was a logical guess).

I thought While England Slept was logical too.  Logical, maybe, but incorrect.

No ts's for me. FJ was not quite an instaget but close.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Trey said:

If I hadn't remembered that it had to sound like a letter I might not have gotten it...

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

If I hadn't remembered that it had to sound like a letter I might not have gotten it...

So “y”/why (and by extension, wine/whine, weather/whether, etc) are considered homophones now?  I probably need to go to some other forum to explore that. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
31 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

This continues to be a problem area for me. I don't remember everything in the clue. So I said While (England Slept). In my defense, it sounds better 😁. Sad to see the champ lose, but I like our new champ (hope that won't be the kiss of death for her tomorrow!)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I just went and found it on youtube and while I did not quite hear the Mc, I was watching her mouth and you can kind of see she says it. Then I slowed it down to .75 speed and I can just hear it. At .5 I can hear it a little more. The closed captions (which it says are auto-generated) also include it. I'm guessing that may have been a stop-and-review moment...

Thanks for doing the work. 🙂

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

So “y”/why (and by extension, wine/whine, weather/weather, etc) are considered homophones now?  I probably need to go to some other forum to explore that. 

They sound the same when I say them.

4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Thanks for doing the work. 🙂

I had to know! I didn't notice it during the game.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Right. "To Be Expected" rather than "Ironic."

I should just never use any form of the word "ironic" because it seemingly never applies.

Now I really want to see a Jeopardy! category titled IT'S IRONIC! about uses and missuses of the term.

For misuses, they could cite any line from that stupid Alanis Morissette song.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
39 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

So “y”/why (and by extension, wine/whine, weather/weather, etc) are considered homophones now?  I probably need to go to some other forum to explore that. 

7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

They sound the same when I say them.

I’m really having trouble wrapping my head around this. Do people really not hear a difference between, say, wear and where? It’s a small difference, but it’s there (at least in my ears). And if it somehow changed between boomers and millennials, why did I not notice it in my kids? 

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

The distinction between the pronunciation of wh as hw and w is very subtle at the best of times, and I think it is held to be merging or merged in most dialects. (And how did who wind up as hoo?) I heard a little segment about old/middle English on the radio just this weekend where the earnest presenter explained that those wh words *used* to be pronounced hw and there was Chaucer's big old hwaet spelt like that.     

I didn't catch anything in Ken's pronunciation of "why" that sounded unusual as either Y or why.

I had a work colleague who would often make the joke  "Do you want some cheese to go with that w[h]ine?" 

• Like 5

Well, I stupidly ignored all of the FJ clue except for the last three words, and selected the westernmost country in Africa - Senegal - after a short mental debate over whether Senegal or the Gambia was considered more "west".

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m really having trouble wrapping my head around this. Do people really not hear a difference between, say, wear and where? It’s a small difference, but it’s there (at least in my ears). And if it somehow changed between boomers and millennials, why did I not notice it in my kids? 

I have never heard them as different.  The 'h' is silent.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was born in 1965, and I can't tell the difference. 

Don't get me started on Don and Dawn, though-- those aren't even close as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by possibilities
typo
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
21 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I was born in 1965, and I can't tell the difference. 

Don't get me started on Don and Dawn, thought-- those aren't even close as far as I'm concerned.

Taking this one to small talk 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Of course.

What do you mean “now”? They’ve always been homophones because they are said the same. 🤨

I chuckled when Ken commented on Melissa not wagering enough on that final DD. So dumb!! She had a runaway game in the bag but couldn’t do simple math.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

What do you mean “now”? They’ve always been homophones because they are said the same. 🤨

That’s why I took this to small talk, because as obvious to you that they’ve always been homophones, it’s equally obvious to me that they haven’t. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Did you mean weather/whether?

• Wink 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Trey said:

“While” was the first thing that popped into my head, too. But since it didn’t fit, I shortened it to “why”. Total guess, and it probably took me a while to get there.

I had to comment on Ken’s reaction to Jake’s story about Chuck Norris: Some years back, when Walker, Texas Ranger was still on the air, I toured a local studio that housed a bar set from the series. Behind the bar was a series of raised platforms which, according to the tour guide, were there for the benefit of Mr. Norris. I knew he was not a tall man, but these were not subtle platforms. 

And you all saw the size of Jake, right? So I don’t think he had anything to fear from Chuck Norris punching him— except maybe a bruised knee. 

(And now I have to go check out Small Talk. Nothing more fun than a good grammar fight.)

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 11
10 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe it's an accent thing.  I say them exactly the same. Gen X if you're still wonderng about generational.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'd forgotten the category, something I get annoyed about when contestants do it.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Trey said:

I'd forgotten the category, something I get annoyed about when contestants do it.

I do it a lot, too, especially since they jump around so much these days.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Thank you!  *Now* I know why I keep forgetting the category and what it requires. 🥴

I'm also usually trying to find the right cell on my scorecard before the clue is read so that's a further distraction.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I'm also usually trying to find the right cell on my scorecard before the clue is read so that's a further distraction.

I just scribble down TS's that I get. Keeping score would be asking too much! 😁

• Like 3
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just scribble down TS's that I get. Keeping score would be asking too much! 😁

That's why I have it in excel. I grab the categories from the archive before the show starts and then just put a 1 or a 0 in the cell. It does the math for me and I can see at a glance how I did and if I ran anything. (I don't keep a record, though, except for Final Jeopardy for the contest thread. I just post about it in the season thread and clear it out for the next day). If I get a TS I'll just type it in the relevant cell until after the game is done, then copy them into a comment and replace with a 1 to get my score.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't hear it and commented about it to the mister, who said he'd heard it. His ears are slightly better than mine, so I believed him.

21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

That's why I have it in excel. I grab the categories from the archive before the show starts and then just put a 1 or a 0 in the cell. It does the math for me and I can see at a glance how I did and if I ran anything. (I don't keep a record, though, except for Final Jeopardy for the contest thread. I just post about it in the season thread and clear it out for the next day). If I get a TS I'll just type it in the relevant cell until after the game is done, then copy them into a comment and replace with a 1 to get my score.

Using excel while watching is just too much work for me. Helping Saber with the contest statistics is enough excel for me. I used to use it all the time at work. I retired a year ago, and had forgotten a surprising amount of basic stuff when I started working with the contest spreadsheet.

Okay game for me, didn't get FJ. I forget what I answered, but it was in the general neighborhood.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I chuckled when Ken commented on Melissa not wagering enough on that final DD.

I took that as a shot, as well, and it cracked me up! I was dumbfounded by that DD wager. I'm no whiz at math, by any means, but even I could do that simple addition on the spot. I'll chalk it up to live-game jitters, her being thrown off by the lights and camera and stuff 😐

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1

March 21:

63% / 73% / 67%

Meh game (better second round); in J! I ran A.K.A., missed one in IT'S A JOKE, two in MADE IN PENNSYLVANIA and 4-LETTER "V"ERBS, and three in TO THE MOUNTAINTOP! and THE 1980s. In DJ I ran 2-WORD TERMS and THE LIFE SCIENCES, missed one in I LOVE A MAN IN CUNEIFORM, two in TV & MOVIE CITIES and ETYMOLOGY, and three in BOOKS: THE FUTURE IS NOW. TSes were thumbtack, whalebone, Denali, and Richard Bachman. 

Technically, I got FJ, but only because the youtube video I was watching jumped to Ken saying "Murder in the Cathedral" (while still showing the clue on the screen), so I paused it for a few seconds and thought about it. Came up with the right answer but after rereading the clue I'm not sure I would have without that hint, so I don't think I can take credit.

image.png.f39b36e0793cdd204d845842d51aa805.png

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Glad the champ remained the champ & wasn't another one hit wonder. Plus, the woman in the "Michael Jackson jacket" was a bit much, IMO. Melissa reminds me of Ana Gasteyer, who used to be on SNL.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the contestants and audience laughing at Jon Stewart's joke.

I also enjoyed seeing both women answer decisively several clues I thought pretty challenging -- those responses were delivered in a decidedly questioning tone in my house, but they made 'em declarations and kept going.  They answered their DDs the same way.

I almost ran the first round, but missed one each in AKA and joke.

In DJ, I was as terrible in futuristic books as expected (not at all my genre) -- I correctly guessed Mars, but otherwise had nothing.  If not for that, I'd have had a decent round.  I only ran terms, but I got all but one in sciences and etymology, and missed two each in the rest.

I had no idea for FJ.

• Like 4

I cracked up that "Entomology" turned up in the same round as the "Etymology" category - although not in that category.

The difference between an Etymologist and an Entomologist?  The Etymologist knows the difference!

As for FJ, I finally realized it had to be Becket ("Will no one rid me of this troublesome priest?")  But didn't have time to think of where they killed him.  Oh, right - the Cathedral!  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1