Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

Did everyone hear Ken mutter, "I didn't know that," to the H&R Block question? Do you think the writers threw in that clue to needle him? I guess everyone has something they'll never live down.

I laughed out loud at the comment. When I read the clue I wondered if he'd acknowledge it.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, ams1001 said:
44 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

Did everyone hear Ken mutter, "I didn't know that," to the H&R Block question? Do you think the writers threw in that clue to needle him? I guess everyone has something they'll never live down.

I laughed out loud at the comment. When I read the clue I wondered if he'd acknowledge it.

I don't think he muttered it, he just said it normally, I think, it was funny.

I got the TS's of Superior, Philistines, Constantine and Solzhenitsyn.

FJ was an instaget, can't ever forget the coconuts everytime they were pretending to ride horses! Ni!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7

So much of an instaget FJ for me!  I started writing before Ken finished reading the clue.  I love that movie.  I was fortunate enough to see "Spamalot" on Broadway, too, with Tim Curry as King Arthur.  So much fun.

I also got the TS of Superior, spleen, and Uncle Vanya.  

In addition to Ken's comment about H&R Block, we also got a "Hello!" a la Alex.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

In addition to Ken's comment about H&R Block, we also got a "Hello!" a la Alex.

One of the B&N stores I used to work at moved to a new location last week, and I was off today so I went to check it out. Wandering around I found Alex's book on a table (multiple stacks, even). 🙂

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I didn't have the foggiest clue on FJ.  I've seen that movie, but not in the theater.  I didn't think it was right, but I said Goin' Coconuts.  It was this Donny and Marie thing.  I didn't see the movie, but we had an 8 track (kids ask your grandparents) of the soundtrack maybe?  IDK.  It had a picture on it and i tlooked like it was probably the stupidest thing ever.  Nobody ever listened to it.  I don't know how or why we had it.

I had a very similar problem except in my case I owned a copy of the novelization of Goin' Coconuts which I had never seen. I'm sure I must have read it but I remember nothing about it. 

I also rejected Herbie Goes Bananas and spent some time trying and failing to recall the title Bananas. Monty Python never crossed my mind, sadly -- I got into them in the 80s and have a blind spot remembering they were earlier.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 2

I actually had to rewind Ken's comment on "I didn't know that". a few times just to amuse myself. I got several but am so ashamed I didn't get Mother Superior. Lake Superior is four blocks from my apartment in Duluth, MN. I just feel so sad right now...lol...

• Hugs 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

One of the B&N stores I used to work at moved to a new location last week, and I was off today so I went to check it out. Wandering around I found Alex's book on a table (multiple stacks, even). 🙂

Are you in the Chicago area, by any chance?

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Thanks for the killing eve spoiler. 

I thought the same about This is Us, but I know that show skipped around time wise, so maybe it wasn’t a spoiler that a certain character was dead in the final episode? They should probably stick to older shows for that type of category!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, HissyFit said:

I didn't think he muttered it, but I did cackle when he said it! I wondered if all the contestants realized the joke, though.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

That was a nice, evenly-matched game.

What was the difference in what Matthew and Sriram said for the antipope clue?  It sounded the same to me, and the archive has both responses written the same, so did Sriram indeed just repeat a wrong answer?!

I was rather hit and miss in the first round; I ran words, table, and science, but missed three in blinded and two each in places and songs.

I didn't run anything in DJ.  I got all but one in potpourri and the fun postal abbreviation category (I was too slow to think of a four-letter biblical character to move on to the next part of that one), but other than that I did not do well.  I missed all but one in TV, three in history, and two each in the rest.

At least I rebounded to get FJ; I love that movie!

58 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I wondered if all the contestants realized the joke, though.

There was a good deal of laughter in the studio, so I'm not sure how many of the contestants, specifically, but overall a nice chunk of the audience sure did.  (A reaction which puzzled me at first, but then the mental light bulb flickered to life.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

What was the difference in what Matthew and Sriram said for the antipope clue?  It sounded the same to me, and the archive has both responses written the same, so did Sriram indeed just repeat a wrong answer?!

I didn't hear a difference but I thought maybe Sriram misheard what Matthew said and thought he had mispronounced it..?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't hear a difference but I thought maybe Sriram misheard what Matthew said and thought he had mispronounced it..?

Well, Ken did his "Nnnnooo" like when an answer is close when Matthew responded, but this wasn't like Ellen's "Pantagonia" answer; I didn't know who the Avignon Popes are, or the antipopes, but looking them up very briefly they don't seem similar, and they certainly don't sound similar, so I don't know what Ken's reaction was about -- it was just a wrong answer.  And I also don't know what Sriram thought Matthew said that was close but not quite right, that he'd say something he thought was different but was the exact same thing.  Maybe someone with more Pope knowledge than me (i.e. virtually anyone) can speculate, because I found that an odd exchange all around.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

No; New Jersey.

Funny! I’m in the Chicago area and we just had a B&N move from one place and reopen in another in the past couple of weeks. I guess B&N stores are on the move! I didn’t spot any Alex books at mine, though.

1 hour ago, stonehaven said:

I actually had to rewind Ken's comment on "I didn't know that". a few times just to amuse myself. I got several but am so ashamed I didn't get Mother Superior. Lake Superior is four blocks from my apartment in Duluth, MN. I just feel so sad right now...lol...

Even though I get it now, I never connected Ken’s comment to his Jeopardy game - thank goodness for this forum!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I don't think he muttered it, he just said it normally, I think, it was funny.

Yes, Ken is always willing to poke fun at himself. One of the many reasons I love him.

28 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I think that’s exactly what happened. My comment: “He just said that!” I suspect Ken was thinking something similar, hence the confused “nooo..”

Almost instaget FJ for me. “Coconuts” made me flash immediately to horses, but that took me first to “Young Frankenstein”. But I quickly realized that was a different horse sound (Hello, Frau Blucher!) and corrected to Monty Python in plenty of time. Then I did a victory dance around the living room, because no FJ bagel for me this week! Mediocrity, woo!

• Applause 1
  • Love 7

No FJ for me. I probably only saw 2 movies in the 1970s due to living off the grid a lot.

I did get the TSs of Phlilistine, spleen, and Constantine (purely coincidental rhyming),
instagot the missed DD of Superior,
and instagot Khomeini that Sriram missed and Ellen got. 

There were 11 TSs, which isn't very many more than a recent Cris game, and is fewer than a random Mattea game. However, the random Matt Amodio and Amy games I looked at each had about half that many TSs.

I was looking at the TS numbers to test a theory that the reason viewers might not enjoy watching long-running super champs is because there aren't very many TSs or other wrong responses to give viewers a chance to say the answer first.

• First random glance numbers of TSs conclusion:   
    No, apparently that's not really a thing other than in my mind. 

• Second glance conclusion:   
    Maybe there are significantly fewer (half as many) opportunities for viewers at home to come up with answers during TS and wrong responses during super champ games. 

Are these stats already compiled? Or would I need to look at each Responses page (e.g., j-archive.com/showgameresponses.php?game_id=7462) for each day of each super champ, and then count and record the numbers of TSs and other wrong responses?

Edited by shapeshifter
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Well, Ken did his "Nnnnooo" like when an answer is close when Matthew responded, but this wasn't like Ellen's "Pantagonia" answer; I didn't know who the Avignon Popes are, or the antipopes, but looking them up very briefly they don't seem similar, and they certainly don't sound similar, so I don't know what Ken's reaction was about -- it was just a wrong answer.  And I also don't know what Sriram thought Matthew said that was close but not quite right, that he'd say something he thought was different but was the exact same thing.  Maybe someone with more Pope knowledge than me (i.e. virtually anyone) can speculate, because I found that an odd exchange all around.

I'm hardly a pope expert (a popephile?), but of the 7 Avignon popes, the last 2 were also antipopes (regarded as illegitimate by the official Catholic church, as opposed the popes who were legitimately elected), hence why there may have some confusion due to the overlap. 

I believe subsequent antipopes did not reside at Avignon. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't know who the Avignon Popes are, or the antipopes, but looking them up very briefly they don't seem similar, and they certainly don't sound similar, so I don't know what Ken's reaction was about -- it was just a wrong answer.  

I read a book on Medieval history last year which discussed the Avignon and anti-popes but I don't remember enough to have gotten it right.

10 hours ago, SHD said:

Funny! I’m in the Chicago area and we just had a B&N move from one place and reopen in another in the past couple of weeks. I guess B&N stores are on the move! I didn’t spot any Alex books at mine, though.

Yeah, some stores move because of rent issues and whatnot. Usually to a smaller space (the newer stores they've opened in the last few years have generally been smaller; this one moved from a big free-standing building to a space that used to be a Modell's Sporting Goods at the other end of the shopping center). Honestly it felt a bit maze-like and claustrophobic. It looks really nice, though (and smells like new carpet). I just got a hot chocolate from the cafe and wandered around for a while.

6 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Would someone explain to me why Ken's comment about H&R Block was so funny?  It obviously has something to do with his original appearance on Jeopardy as a contestant, but I am clueless.

It was the clue that took him out at the end of his run.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, HissyFit said:

I though the situation seemed familiar, and sure enough, less than 3 months ago...

Are the clue writers having a bit of fun, or is it not unusual for those two companies to come up in this amount of time?  (Remind me - on the FJ that broke Ken's streak - was the correct response H&R Block and Ken's guess was FedEx?  Or the other way around?)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Remind me - on the FJ that broke Ken's streak - was the correct response H&R Block and Ken's guess was FedEx?  Or the other way around?

@ams1001 posted video above. The clue mentioned a business with a busy season. Ken figured the season could be Christmas and guessed FedEx. The correct season was tax time and therefore H&R Block.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Are the clue writers having a bit of fun, or is it not unusual for those two companies to come up in this amount of time?  (Remind me - on the FJ that broke Ken's streak - was the correct response H&R Block and Ken's guess was FedEx?  Or the other way around?)

The correct response was H&R Block. The clue was about seasonal workers of a particular company; Ken's brain went to Holiday Season deliveries, not Tax Season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Yes, Ken is always willing to poke fun at himself. One of the many reasons I love him.

No one will ever replace Alex, but I enjoy having a host who has been through the contestant trenches. Ken brings a unique perspective to hosting. I love how encouraging he is, sometimes saying things like "This was a hard one" for TS or the way he enthusiastically says "Very good!" when a contestant answers a question it seems he feels was a tough one. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
On 12/9/2022 at 8:18 AM, MrAtoz said:

Here's some fun trivia:  How many cities are there in the Quad Cities?  Answer: Five. Bettendorf, Iowa, has grown enough that it's now bigger than East Moline, Illinois, one of the original four cities.  Rather than kick East Moline out, they've decided to include all five cities as part of the "Quad."

Close, but no cigar @MrAtoz. The original Quads were Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa and directly across the Mississippi, Rock Island and Moline, Illinois. Trust me, I was born and raised in Moline and live near there now. It's my home stomping grounds. They tried a while to make it Quint Cities as East Moline and Silvis were added to the Illinois side. Iowa stayed the same, even though Pleasant Valley snugs up to Bettendorf but is ignored.

Note that ALL of these towns run together and unless you are a native, you don't know when you've left East Moline and are now in Silvis. Or, for that matter, when you are in Rock Island as opposed to East Moline. Only The Shadow knows. Or someone who lives/grew up here.

Side note: In the Mississippi River between Davenport, Iowa and Rock Island, Illinois is the Rock Island Arsenal military installation. I worked there six years while saving for college. It was originally built as a Confederate prison, and there is a Confederate cemetery there. Excellent place to visit for the military historian.

Chief Black Hawk and the Sauk tribe made their home in what is now Rock Island. Moline is the home of Deere & Co., makers of those green and yellow tractors. Both have been J clues in the past. And now you know!

• Like 2
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Thanks for the killing eve spoiler. 

I know, right? Then again, if I'd been eager to watch the last season instead of dawdling, it wouldn't have been a spoiler for me.

15 hours ago, dgpolo said:

FJ was an instaget, can't ever forget the coconuts everytime they were pretending to ride horses! Ni!

I don't forget the coconuts - it was hysterical. But I'd never heard that bit of trivia, so I was in the tropics without a clue.

13 hours ago, secnarf said:

I didn't think he muttered it, but I did cackle when he said it! I wondered if all the contestants realized the joke, though.

I didn't until I got on the forum today. So funny! I love how Ken is able to make fun of himself. That is a key trait I look for in friends.

It was a great game for me, I didn't run any categories, but I got more than half in all categories and nearly ran a couple. So that makes up for not getting FJ.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

FJ was an instaget for me.  Coconuts and 1970s comedy screamed Monty Python.  Ni!

18 hours ago, HissyFit said:

He didn't mutter it, he said it out loud.  It was pretty funny.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I the answers of Superior, spleen, and Solzhenitsyn.

I got those first two, but for the last one I'm not even sure what collection of letters emerged from my mouth; nothing that would have given me credit, that's for sure.  I had the S and the Z, but everything around those went very wrong.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

He didn't mutter it, he said it out loud.  It was pretty funny.

ALL of you are correct. "Mutter" was the wrong word. I only meant that Ken didn't use his big announce-y voice. He can poke fun at himself without demanding the spotlight. He's witty, smart and an utterly terrific host.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

So glad I wasn't up there on the stage. For FJ, all I kept trying to think of was the name of a Swedish film that played, "I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts", over & over again. 

I kept trying to think of a 1970’s movie with a tropical theme or that took place in Hawaii or somewhere like that. But before the buzzer my brain flipped to MP. If I had drawn a total blank, I probably would’ve guessed a Gilligan’s Island movie - LOL.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I got FJ right.

I got the missed clues of Grease, Bubonic Plague, Athos, Mary Shelley, Odd Father, The Time Traveler's Wife and Kidnapped.

I got the entire categories of Words, YU and oddly enough sew and sew.

In the other categories in the first round I only missed one clue each.

• Applause 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ right.

Surprisingly so did I! I don't know any Latin except the common things everyone knows, I'm astonished it came to me.

Got the TSs of plague, Grease, smallpox, Kidnapped, dike and Time Traveler's Wife. For Athos I said 'the one Oliver Reed played' No?

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I know many people like constant turnover and new champions, but I’m missing really becoming familiar with one contestant and feeling more invested in rooting for someone.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

80% / 50% / 65%

J!: Good round...ran Lost for Words, missed two in True Grime and one each in everything else.

DJ: OMG, I need to return my English degree…I got zero in 19th Century Literature! Ran Y-U, missed one Sew & Sew, and three in everything else.

FJ: No clue.

TSes: "if you can keep it" and bubonic plague

I was low-key rooting for Sean, so yay.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Archive game for me, since I'll be watching football.  I can't believe Grease and dike were TS.

I ran everything but Ben Franklin and outbreaks, in which I got all but one each, in the first round, and those two I missed also stumped the contestants, so I was off to a great start.

Other than literature, in which I missed all but one (and the one I got was a lucky guess), I did well in DJ, too.  I ran "Y-U" and sew, got all but one in no good and low down (I could not remember the Scottish river to save my life!), and missed two in Chicago TV (giving myself credit for Lena Waithe; I didn't know from the clue, but I'm sure I'd have recognized a picture of her).

FJ took several beats to come to me, but it did.

• Applause 2
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, SHD said:

I know many people like constant turnover and new champions, but I’m missing really becoming familiar with one contestant and feeling more invested in rooting for someone.

I like variety in the sense that I like to see some long runs and some shorter runs as well. There are a lot of factors that affect my rooting interest and I often change horses during one episode. Sometimes I root for the sake of continuing a streak and sometimes I feel like I am ready for a new champion or don't want this champion to break the record set by an old favourite. (I know this is churlish and I try to rise above it if the current champion plays well.) 

I was rooting for Matthew but when Kris Anne went for the Daily Double I hoped she would get it and was disappointed both that she didn't get it and I didn't know it. 

I got FJ by thinking whether the middle word could be per and then coming up with pro. 

I was surprised that no one got "if you can keep it" and smug that I got the TS of "My Last Duchess" (she had a heart too soon made glad).

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 12/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, annzeepark914 said:

So glad I wasn't up there on the stage. For FJ, all I kept trying to think of was the name of a Swedish film that played, "I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts", over & over again. 

My Life as a Dog, which came out in 1985, so not a 70's movie. I didn't know it either, because I *whisper* have never seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Too many "quoters" have made me think, "Eh, I've pretty much heard all the good bits already."

35 minutes ago, SHD said:

Sean may well turn out to be a multi-day champ, so hang on. I don't dislike long streaks, but I do dislike too many runaways.

I was surprised that out of 3 contestants, one came up with a three word phrase that is French (which admittedly came from Latin), one forgot the "three word" part of the clue, and the champ had no idea. They either never saw The Silence of the Lambs or forgot the moment Anthony Hopkins says "Quid pro quo" to Jodie Foster.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I was surprised that out of 3 contestants, one came up with a three word phrase that is French (which admittedly came from Latin), one forgot the "three word" part of the clue, and the champ had no idea. They either never saw The Silence of the Lambs or forgot the moment Anthony Hopkins says "Quid pro quo" to Jodie Foster.

Well, in their defense, I (the Latin scholar after two years about 50 years ago) could only come up with those well known Latin phrases, “tit for tat” and “gen er ic”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

They either never saw The Silence of the Lambs or forgot the moment Anthony Hopkins says "Quid pro quo" to Jodie Foster.

He wasn't talking about prescriptions there, though. I think that's what threw everyone off, I only guessed right because it was the only 3 word Latin I knew except for Vini, Vidi, Vici.

Edited by dgpolo
s
  • Like 3
  • Love 3