Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

The new champ looks like so many guys did, wayyyyyy back in the 70's. Long hair, droopy mustache. Is this look returning?

I was going to say he looks exactly like my 7th grade science teacher, Mr. Behler.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

That’s not who I’ve been trying to dredge out of my brain, but I do see the resemblance!

Same here -- that's not who he reminds me of (won't it be a kick if we both finally figure it out during the ToC and it's the same person?), but that's the one suggestion so far I've thought Oh, I can see that.

In case it helps, my kids claim Cris looks like Jared from Manifest (J.R. Ramirez):

image.png.50fb7bfceaea0bac8a51f9430eae621b.png

- possibly in combination with Zeke (Matt Long):

image.png.85764628968f34c0d8aa262394ba2440.png

• Like 2
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve gotta ask - what in your body of knowledge made that an instaget?  Because I could have guessed all night and not come up with the correct response. 

Maybe because I'm from Vermont?  I've heard the story about how his father administered the first oath of office.  and I knew Taft is the only President that later became a Supreme Court justice, and that it goes Taft-Wilson-Harding-Coolidge.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

Maybe because I'm from Vermont?  I've heard the story about how his father administered the first oath of office.  and I knew Taft is the only President that later became a Supreme Court justice, and that it goes Taft-Wilson-Harding-Coolidge.

Taft is one of the two pieces of trivia I alluded to yesterday. The other is that in 1898, Coolidge opened a law firm in Northampton, Massachusetts (where my grandmother was born not long after). She grew up near his residence and knew at least one of his sons, who would have been a few years younger.

Hence, Coolidge has always been among my favorite presidents, so of course I knew FJ right away. The “Taft” addition was just the icing on the cake.

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I assume that's a mnemonic device, but I have no idea what it's supposed to be telling me.

From an old TV series (Square Pegs). It's the first 5 presidents after Hoover (Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson). And yes, we know Kennedy doesn't start with C (or "Cool" with K).

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

From an old TV series (Square Pegs). It's the first 5 presidents after Hoover (Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson). And yes, we know Kennedy doesn't start with C (or "Cool" with K).

That was Muffy! Thanks for the great memory, I actually remember that scene. I can't remember what I ate for supper last night, but I can remember an obscure Square Pegs scene...

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

53% / 70% / 62%

Ugh, bad first round. Ran Monkey Business, missed two in Patents and U in History, and three in everything else. Better DJ; ran 90s Vocab, missed one Preparing for the Role and In the Room, three Countries, and two in the others. FJ was a near-instaget (and an asterisk!). My only TS was squirrel monkey.

FJ was an instaget. Between yesterday and today I feel like a genius.  I'm sure tomorrow's final will put me in my place.

I got the missed clues of Niger/Nigeria and davenport.

I had a better DJ than first round, but neither were particularly good.

And I have suddenly developed a case of the hiccups.

• Like 1

Anyone else get this $1,600 TS: "This large upholstered couch that shares its name with the largest of the Quad Cities along the Iowa-Illinois border." It was a no brainer for me, especially since I was in that city all day today and got home JUST in time to turn on Jeopardy. And no, I watched from a chair, not a DAVENPORT!

It also helps I was born in the QC and have lived near there my entire life. I do venture into Darkest Iowa every once in a while. You know, when I can't help it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

Foul! Q: He is described as "Prometheus who changed his mind"; now you say the first sentence of "Atlas Shrugged"

Answer given (and accepted): Who is Galt?    No, the correct answer should be Who is John Galt, since that is the first sentence of Atlas Shrugged.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I just checked the archive since I'll be watching football tonight.

I didn't run a single category in the first round, even rhyme time; I usually ace those, but I had no idea what a webelo was.  I got all but one in that one and patents, but missed two in history, money, and Marks and three in opera.

In a flip of my usual script, I did better in DJ.  I ran cases, '90s vocabulary, and countries (that category was fun), got all but one in room, and missed two each in novels and roles.

FJ was pretty much an instaget; a cocktail and an island with the same name made me think Manhattan, and then the last thing being a WWII venture let me know that was indeed it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Answer given (and accepted): Who is Galt?    No, the correct answer should be Who is John Galt, since that is the first sentence of Atlas Shrugged.

Yeah, I thought that was way off base too, then wondered if the show's rule about "you only need to give the last name" applied to proper titles and quotes too.

That's all I could come up with. That, and agreeing w/you it was ... wrong.

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

I had to think a bit for FJ.  I chose to concentrate on the WWII venture, and came up with Manhattan in the nick of time.  

The only TS I got were U-2 and davenport.

I'll be away next week (and part of the following week), so don't be alarmed if I don't post for awhile!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Foul! Q: He is described as "Prometheus who changed his mind"; now you say the first sentence of "Atlas Shrugged"

9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yeah, I thought that was way off base too, then wondered if the show's rule about "you only need to give the last name" applied to proper titles and quotes too.

That's all I could come up with. That, and agreeing w/you it was ... wrong.

I agree. I think a BMS would have been appropriate. Did that make the difference between runaway or not?

Oh well, I’m basking in the glory of being smarter than all three contestants for FJ, so whatever. 

• LOL 6
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I had to think a bit for FJ.  I chose to concentrate on the WWII venture, and came up with Manhattan in the nick of time.  

I thought of Cuba Libre, that tasty and popular rum and coke. Yeah, it was a different era but I remember JKF and the Bay of Pigs!

The Berlin Wall FJ I was nowhere close. I did not even consider anything in Europe so said the Muir Building. I also thought the USS Arizona and that J writers had screwed up the years. That, plus it was ALMOST Dec. 7, which I was disappointed to see pretty much no one anywhere, news show or special broadcast, even mentioned.

ETA: I REALLY liked the champ wearing coat and tie today and looking professional. I was rooting for him just for that. And yeah, I'm old school.

Side note: When showing dogs, it's an unwritten rule you dress as the judge is dressed. If it's a mega-hot day and the judge has taken off his coat, men handlers can do the same. If he leaves it on with his tie, men handlers must show respect and do the same, even if it's a bake oven under outside show tents.

That said, Ken is always wearing a suit coat and tie. Just sayin'.

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
42 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I kind of feel like he say the first sentence was just an extra clue, but the question (or answer) was just asking for the character.  Otherwise the answer (or question) would be what is who is John Galt.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Anyone else get this $1,600 TS: "This large upholstered couch that shares its name with the largest of the Quad Cities along the Iowa-Illinois border." It was a no brainer for me, especially since I was in that city all day today and got home JUST in time to turn on Jeopardy. And no, I watched from a chair, not a DAVENPORT!

It also helps I was born in the QC and have lived near there my entire life. I do venture into Darkest Iowa every once in a while. You know, when I can't help it.

My grandma was born in Iowa in 1893, and she often called the sofa/couch the davenport, so I knew it.

• Like 3

They really want to get it through our thick skulls that Manhattan is an island. Wasn't that what allowed Amy to triumph over Andrew He in her first episode?

In the last clue in DJ it sounded like Ken said David instead of Davis. Not that it made a difference. I did wish he hadn't pointed out it was a runaway. I was rooting for Sriram but it should be up to the contestants to live or die by their own arithmetic.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Think skills is not thick skulls
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

In the last clue in DJ it sounded like Ken said David instead of Davis. Not that it made a difference. I did wish he hadn't pointed out it was a runaway. 

I just pulled it up on youtube; he did say David.

8 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I did wish he hadn't pointed out it was a runaway. I was rooting for Sriram but it should be up to the contestants to live or die by their own arithmetic.

I feel the same way.

Again, I was rooting for Ron but was fine with anyone winning.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TazDevil said:

A.Z., sitting at -$200, finds the Daily Double, and says "let's make it a true daily double, I'll bet $1,000...."

Uh, that's not what that means....

Thank you. I’m sure it was just nerves but that bugged me way more than it should’ve! LOL 

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Anyone else get this $1,600 TS: "This large upholstered couch that shares its name with the largest of the Quad Cities along the Iowa-Illinois border." 

Me!!!!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

They really want to get it through our thick skulls that Manhattan is an island.

The 1968 movie Charly (based on Flowers for Algernon) is set in Boston. One character, a tour guide, said that Boston's Prudential tower was "the tallest building in the continental United States." Someone else asked "What about the Empire State Building?" Tour guide: "Manhattan is an island."
[Note: the tall buildings in Chicago had not been built yet.]

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got it!! I got a few TSs today, although missed FJ again. (Not a good week for me.) I rapid-fire ran names of cocktails through my mind, but none of them were islands, then desperately switched to islands but none of them were cocktails, and then time ran out.  Then the husband smugly said “Manhattan” and I threw a pillow at him.

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I kind of feel like he say the first sentence was just an extra clue, but the question (or answer) was just asking for the character.  Otherwise the answer (or question) would be what is who is John Galt.

I agree. “He is described” is the relevant part of that clue; the rest is just additional information to help you get there. They were looking for the character, not the line, so “Galt” was enough. 

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

And I have suddenly developed a case of the hiccups.

BOO!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I couldn’t believe none of them got FJ! I thought it was so easy!!

Did anyone else hear Sriram say “Johnny Wahlberg” instead of “Donnie”? I was waiting for Ken to stop and take the money away. IMO he got too many free passes this game, any one of which could have changed the outcome of FJ.

• Applause 1

After I heard "Davenport", I said "Of course", but my first response was Chesterfield. I knew Webelo= scout because both sons were in Cub Scouts. 

I rarely know FJ but I am patting myself on the back that I knew it was Manhattan and it came quickly.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Would they have accepted just "un-" for this clue? 😉

If you use up the A on American there is nowhere to put the Activities, so I think no. 

1 hour ago, Driad said:

[Note: the tall buildings in Chicago had not been built yet.]

No, nor John Hancock neither.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

I got "Davenport" right away; my mother used to use that word for a sofa.  She's the only one I've ever known who did; most people seem to be confused by the term, or at least think that it's somewhat old-fashioned.

Here's some fun trivia:  How many cities are there in the Quad Cities?  Answer: Five. Bettendorf, Iowa, has grown enough that it's now bigger than East Moline, Illinois, one of the original four cities.  Rather than kick East Moline out, they've decided to include all five cities as part of the "Quad."

• Useful 8
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't , but the mister who's from the Midwest got it immediately.

15 hours ago, TazDevil said:

A.Z., sitting at -$200, finds the Daily Double, and says "let's make it a true daily double, I'll bet $1,000...."

Uh, that's not what that means....

Yeah, but to be fair, she's not the only one whose said this. It's stressful up there on the podium. But of course the mister and I did discuss it a bit.

Neither of us came up with Manhattan - partly because pretty much the only thing we drink is wine, but mostly because we were both thinking about the South Pacific. It was a D'Oh! moment when the answer came up.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, illdoc said:

ITA.  I was so angry.  His answer/question would have been correct if the clue had been "now you say three of the four words in the first sentence of "Atlas Shrugged."  I suppose "You may call me Ishmael" would have been an acceptable response to the first sentence of Moby-Dick.  It's bad enough that Ken said "close enough," but I was really surprised that the judges didn't say anything afterwards.  And yes, the new champion wouldn't have had a runaway, and there's no telling who would have won.

15 hours ago, Katy M said:

13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I agree. “He is described” is the relevant part of that clue; the rest is just additional information to help you get there. They were looking for the character, not the line, so “Galt” was enough.

Yeah, I think I have to withdraw my objection and look at it that way.  Not a fan of the way they wrote the clue, though.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 12/7/2022 at 12:49 AM, Leeds said:

Funny how ideas of physical attractiveness differ.  Personally, I do not find men with prominent brow ridges (a term I just learnt and which applies to Cris) attractive.  My mind just goes to Neanderthal men dragging women around by their hair, whether that's apocryphal or not!

Whereas, upon seriously looking at a lot of men I've found attractive, I've decided that I must dig that.  So I will greatly miss Cris.  While not ruling out the possibility that someone more attractive might come along.

The Tempest was an instaget for me, based on the year and the description of the story.  Exiled king + sea + magic = Prospero for me.

On 12/7/2022 at 9:47 AM, annzeepark914 said:

I guess I'm the only one who believes Cris was just ready to go home. 

I never believe that about any champion.  It's dismissive, of both the long-term champion who lost and the new champ who pulled off an upset.

On 12/7/2022 at 3:55 PM, Mean Machine said:

Not to mention Cris answered incorrectly on a sizable DD wager,

That was what cost him the game, imo, and I don't believe for a second that he missed it on purpose.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:02 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Because I could have guessed all night and not come up with the correct response. 

Me either, but then I absolutely suck at political categories, so I'm always gobsmacked if I get a presidential FJ correct.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I said chesterfield.  Clearly my knowledge of cities in Iowa is somewhat deficient, lol.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

FJ was pretty much an instaget; a cocktail and an island with the same name made me think Manhattan, and then the last thing being a WWII venture let me know that was indeed it.

It wasn't an instaget for me, but I did get there in time to have written it down.  It was the WWII venture part which got me to Manhattan once I ignored the "Development of Substitute Materials" part.

12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

If you use up the A on American there is nowhere to put the Activities, so I think no. 

I always forget the "Activities" part.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I knew it was Manhattan for FJ but didn't get Coolidge. Thought it was LBJ. Though I knew the former president was likely Taft couldn't recall Coolidge and Harding. Woodrow Wilson( ww1)and hoover/ fdr ( depression) are easy to recall but in between.....uhhh, forgettable. Teapot dome?  Other than that name I couldn't tell you the details of the scandal. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I got "Davenport" right away; my mother used to use that word for a sofa.  She's the only one I've ever known who did; most people seem to be confused by the term, or at least think that it's somewhat old-fashioned.

The last verse of Zevon's "Disorder In The House" ...

Disorder in the house
All bets are off
I’m sprawled across the davenport of despair
Disorder in the house
I’ll live with the losses
And watch the sundown through the portiere.

He also called it the Couch of Pain - it was where he agonized over lyrics.

The most I know of Iowa cities comes from the song "Iowa Stubborn" in The Music Man. Toward the end of the song, they sing:

You really ought to give Iowa
Hawkeye Iowa
Dubuque, Des Moines
Davenport, Marshalltown
Mason City, Keokuk, Ames
Clear Lake
Ought to give Iowa a try!

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Years ago, I lived a while in Boston. An associate at work was talking about sitting in the parlor on the davenport. I knew what she was talking about but had never heard anyone use the term "davenport". And of course, "parlor" in my neck of the woods (NYS) was a term only grandparents used. I wonder if Bostonians still use the word parlor.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
18 minutes ago, ABay said:

A Canadian friend said Chesterfield.

My parents always called it a Chesterfield.  I call it a sofa.

I believe Chesterfield is English, after Lord Chesterfield.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 2

83% / 57% / 70%

Had a great first round…ran Put in a Good Word, Table Talk, and Science!, missed one in Places Named for People and Song Title Titles, and three in She Blinded Me.

Not so great second round…missed one in TV Final Episodes and Postal Abbreviation Words, two Russian Writers, and three in everything else.

FJ was an insta-instaget (and that movie premiered six months before I was even born…and I only saw it a few years ago).

TSes were Superior (DD), spleen, and Constantine.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

I didn't have the foggiest clue on FJ.  I've seen that movie, but not in the theater.  I didn't think it was right, but I said Goin' Coconuts.  It was this Donny and Marie thing.  I didn't see the movie, but we had an 8 track (kids ask your grandparents) of the soundtrack maybe?  IDK.  It had a picture on it and i tlooked like it was probably the stupidest thing ever.  Nobody ever listened to it.  I don't know how or why we had it.

I got the missed clues of Philisitines, Superior, antipopes and Uncle Vanya.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1