Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

"Good for You" was a very common phrase back in the Alex days.  I believe we could take a drink when all three contestants got a GFY for their stories.

Yes, and that accounted for a lot of very tipsy J viewers on this thread.

Ken has yet to say one GFY, but once Mayim takes over as host, be prepared for The Awesome Drinking Game.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

Another alternate answer from me that I assume would be accepted:

A goddess named Meretseger was said to have the body of one of these snakes; she protected tombs & their mummies by blinding thieves

Spoiler

Asp, "a small venomous snake of Egypt usually held to be a cobra" (M-W)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 3

I did quite well Friday night.  Ran Music Icons, "Tip" and TV & Movie Places.  Got all but one in Alaskan Geography (including the missed DD of Prince William Sound), Mummies, The Scales, Christmas & Hanukkah and Ornaments Of Yore.  Got the missed stumpers of relinquish, sultan and Sunnydale.

FJ took me a moment but then I realized it was Venice's lagoon so it had to be Italy.

On 12/17/2022 at 12:32 AM, 3 is enough said:

but I was surprised that the volcano was Etna not Vesuvius.

I assume it was Etna because that one is almost continually erupting whereas Vesuvius has periods of activity followed by long stretches of dormancy.  But that's just a guess.

On 12/17/2022 at 1:56 AM, 30 Helens said:

Another win for Twist&Shout! I did not notice the twisting until people here pointed it out, and now that’s all I can see. So, thanks for that.

I still don't see it even after reading the comments.

• Like 2
On 12/17/2022 at 12:32 AM, 3 is enough said:

He really does sound like a lot of the Canadian radio announcers I heard growing up.

Yup.  I know he is from Toronto or one of its suburbs, but his last name is French (Lalonde) so I'm wondering if he's actually from New Brunswick or Eastern Ontario because his accent seems like someone who is either bilingual (predominantly English in his case) or comes from a place where many people are.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
25 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't see how you can miss it. I'm watching Friday's show and he constantly moves his body from side to side.

Idk, but I did not see it at all.  To be honest, I don't look at the contestants all that much unless it's one I think is attractive.  Mostly I just read the clues and concentrate on trying to come up with an answer.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

I know he is from Toronto or one of its suburbs, but his last name is French (Lalonde) so I'm wondering if he's actually from New Brunswick or Eastern Ontario because his accent seems like someone who is either bilingual (predominantly English in his case) or comes from a place where many people are.

I wonder if Ray has done any book narration? He'd be marvelous for some of those mysteries featuring British detectives with droll, dry wit.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Idk, but I did not see it at all.  To be honest, I don't look at the contestants all that much unless it's one I think is attractive.

So, I guess you don't find him attractive......

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wonder if it's something similar to Mattea's hand flapping. 

Well, certainly not as bad.  Mattea drove me from the show for a couple weeks because I couldn't stand the hand flapping.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

December 19

80% / 67% / 74%

Good first round...Ran Birds and Repeating Numbers, missed one each in Christmas Traditions and Life Snapshots, and two in TV and Anagrams

Not good second round...Ran Movie Characters, missed three in Geography, one Historic Woman, and two in everything else.

Did not get FJ and then said "duh" when it was revealed.

TSes were Philippines and Chicago.

I was torn between rooting for Ray or Andrew; I like Ray but Andrew was cute. ;) Hope Ray's twin brother makes it on. I want to see if he's as twisty as his brother. 😛

8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Thank you! That was my answer.

Mine, too. But I don't think I counted it.

52 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Well, certainly not as bad.  Mattea drove me from the show for a couple weeks because I couldn't stand the hand flapping.

The hands wouldn't have bothered me nearly as much if it wasn't accompanied by her incessant chatter.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Since I'll be watching football later, I just checked the archive for tonight's game.

I almost ran the entire first round, but I didn't know two of the TV shows.  It would have been three if not for the Primetimer Award nominations bringing the She-Hulk title to my attention.

I only ran movies in DJ, though.  I got all but one in women and Americana, but missed two each in geography and "in the" and three in line of fire (it might have been four if I'd been watching instead of reading; it took me longer than I probably should have given myself to get Omar Kayyam's name from my brain to my mouth).

I couldn't come up with FJ, but it sure made sense once revealed.  I don't think I've ever had Milk Duds; I thought I had, but then realized I was thinking of Whoppers.

• Like 1

I didn’t go back to be certain, opting to go off half-cocked, but wasn’t the candle in the wind clue a simile not a metaphor?  I should have checked the exact phrasing, but decided instead to be irked.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
3 minutes ago, South said:

I didn’t go back to be certain, opting to go off half-cocked, but wasn’t the candle in the wind clue a simile not a metaphor?  I should have checked the exact phrasing, but decided instead to be irked.

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind

But:

"A simile is a type of metaphor, meaning all similes are metaphors, however, not all metaphors are similes."

Edited by ams1001
  • Applause 3
51 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m another person who said Asp for the snake clue and I was a complete dud tonight and  didn’t get anything worth mentioning. 

A Milk Dud? If so, GFY!

I said Skittles for the FJ un-round candy. Hey, it sorta kinda fits if you don't really read the clue.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
10 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Yup.  I know he is from Toronto or one of its suburbs, but his last name is French (Lalonde) so I'm wondering if he's actually from New Brunswick or Eastern Ontario because his accent seems like someone who is either bilingual (predominantly English in his case) or comes from a place where many people are.

Turns out he grew up in Thunder Bay. And the movement is because he has nerve damage in his legs. 

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/former-thunder-bay-resident-becomes-a-jeopardy-champion-6270288

• Hugs 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 10
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind

But:

"A simile is a type of metaphor, meaning all similes are metaphors, however, not all metaphors are similes."

A simile employs either “like” or “as”, as in “like a candle in the wind”.

13 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Nor the 20-minute recitation explaining her wagers.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Oh, dear God! The "new" format has kicked in and I like nothing about it! From my homepage to forum threads to fonts, there's nothing to like. It seems to be "change for the sake of change".

• Like 15
  • Fire 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Oh, dear God! The "new" format has kicked in and I like nothing about it! From my homepage to forum threads to fonts, there's nothing to like. It seems to be "change for the sake of change".

Agree with this SO MUCH!! Why do websites try to “fix” things that weren’t even broken!? 😡 

• Like 6
  • Fire 5
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Not especially.  He's nice looking but not particularly cute or anything.  He's a very good champ, though.  And I did finally notice him moving last night, but only because I was specifically looking for it this time.  Didn't bother me.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I couldn't come up with FJ, but it sure made sense once revealed.  I don't think I've ever had Milk Duds; I thought I had, but then realized I was thinking of Whoppers.

I've had them but didn't like them.  They didn't even vaguely come to mind.  I had nothing for FJ.

I did really well last night, FJ not withstanding.

I ran 5 categories: Christmas Traditions Elsewhere, Birds Are Real, Repeating Numbers, 2,3 or 4 Letter Geography and Movie Characters.

I got all but one clue in 5 categories: Television Now & Then, Historic Women, Americana, "In The" and Line Of Fire.  And I would've been able to add Life Snapshots if I hadn't confused Lech Walesa with Vaclav Havel.

I got 3 stumpers: the Philippines, Hue and Goa.

Fun fact - I have a friend in the UK who posts updates on the Gavle goat every year.  Apparently it has not yet been burned down this year and might actually make it to Christmas.

• Like 1

Should have put on sunglasses before opening this site today… so bright! And so much white! I had to dim my screen before I could continue. (And yes, I’m aware of dark mode, but for some reason white text on black gives me a headache.)

Did anyone notice Middle Guy swaying next to Ray last night, but in a different direction? I was hoping the other contestant would join in for a dance-off.

I racked my brain for oblong, misshapen candies and got nothing. Probably didn’t help that I’ve never had a Milk Dud. “Gummy Bears” made me laugh, though. Did he think they were supposed to be Gummi Hedgehogs?

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
5 hours ago, illdoc said:

I had the same reaction to Gmail's recent "upgrade"...

I don't totally hate this (and I'll get used to it)...and I just noticed that when I reload the page or click on a specific post url, it goes directly to where I want to be. Before it would jump up a bit and I'd have to scroll down to what I actually wanted to see. So that seems like an improvement, at least.

• Like 4

I got the missed clues of LBJ, Grant, larva, flute (OK that's only a half missed clue), taunt and tattoos.

I got the entire categories of Dr Seuss an dbutterfly right.

I didn't get FJ, but I did immediately get it when I saw Santa Claus is coming to Town.  I said Frosty for no particular good reason.

• Like 1

My mother figured FJ would be a Christmas song. When the clue came up, she said "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and started to sing it (or what she thought was it): "Here Comes Santa Claus. Here Comes Santa Claus. Right down Santa Claus Lane". I told her that was a different song. She decided to stick with her initial guess. So close!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Once again, the champ is silent or had the wrong response, until his two contestants caught up. Then, he took off with one correct response after another. Occasionally, he had the wrong response... but not enough to lose his lead. I find it strange. This hasn't happened with all champions, but lately I've noticed an interesting trend.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I didn't get FJ, but I did immediately get it when I saw Santa Claus is coming to Town.  I said Frosty for no particular good reason.

I said Silver Bells because of the line 'see the kids bunch, this is Santa's big scene' but figured I was wrong. I think I got it when the champ did, when Ken said something about 'here comes Santa Claus' being something the kids might have said.

I got LBJ, tattoos and Milwaukee which was funny because yesterday? day before? I got Hank Aaron's jersey number. I told my sister and she asked if I was a secret Braves fan. She and I are dyed in the wool Cub's fans.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

60% / 63% / 61%

Ugh, terrible game. I got home late, I'm tired and I think I'm coming down with a cold. That's my excuse. Ran only two categories - Dr. Seuss and Planet Features. Missed one in Butterfly Effect and South America, two in What a Steal, Mythology, Greek Letters and "OO", Sorry, three in President's Memoirs, and four in Sports and Recast for TV. Had no clue for FJ.

My TSes were LBJ, larva, solipsism, and tattoos.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 2

I thought of "You better watch out, you better not cry
Better not pout, I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is comin' to town"

...and figured that had something to do with children shouting.  <shrug>  I keep getting it mixed up with the Pumpkin Carol: "You better not shriek, you better not moan, you better not howl, you better not groan - the Great Pumpkin is coming to town"

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I thought of "You better watch out, you better not cry
Better not pout, I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is comin' to town"

I couldn't think of anything other than "Oh ho ho who wouldn't go" from Up on the Housetop which I doubted would be it.

I was mad they had ruled against Kevin for aulos and was just in the process of looking it up to see if there was some technical reason why it wasn't acceptable when they announced the scoring change.

I thought I would slay the Greek letter category but could not convert any but the last two in time. 

• Like 2

LBJ being a TS surprised me, as did larva, tattoos, and taunt.

But I was off my game tonight, too; I didn't run a single category in the first round.  That almost never happens!  At least I got all but one in everything but presidents, in which I missed two.

I was terrible in mythology (shocking, I know), missing all but Pegasus, but otherwise I did well in DJ.  I ran planets, OO, and words and got all but one in the rest.

For FJ, I never got any further than "Some Christmas song I probably hate".  That was a major V8 forehead slap moment when it was revealed.  Utterly of course, what else would it be? obvious in hindsight, but I just could not get there, nor could any of the contestants.  Interesting.

• Like 1

Woo hoo, I got FJ! I knew it had to be a Christmas song, but nothing seemed to fit until I put myself in the mind of a kid watching floats approach and suddenly “here comes Santa Claus!” jumped into my head. Visualization for the win!

ETA: I looked up the lyrics to the song and found this, as the first verse:

Speaking of Christmas spirit
Each year out in Hollywood, California 
They’ve what they call the Santa Claus Parade
Few years ago while I was riding in this parade
I saw smiles on thousands of faces, both young and old alike
Waiting for a look at that most popular man all over the world
I can hear ‘em shout now, “Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus”

But here’s the weird part: these lyrics are credited to Gene Autry and 5 other people, including Mariah Carey. So was the song really inspired by a parade, or are the writers falling for a myth instigated by Mariah Carey? Because I have never heard that verse before.

Also, speaking of lyrics:

I couldn’t think of anything other than “Oh ho ho who wouldn’t go” from Up On The Housetop

I loved this song as a child because of the lyric “up on the housetop, reindeer paws…” Everyone knows reindeer have hooves, not paws! Yet my tiny brain found the idea delightful, to the point where I used to make cupped paw motions with my hands while singing it.

Cut to present day, where I JUST found out the actual lyric is “up on the housetop, reindeer pause…”. And now I’m having a fine time laughing at myself. Who wants to join in? 😉

Edited by 30 Helens
  • LOL 10
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

But here’s the weird part: these lyrics are credited to Gene Autry and 5 other people, including Mariah Carey. So was the song really inspired by a parade, or are the writers falling for a myth instigated by Mariah Carey? Because I have never heard that verse before.

It took a bit of searching, but here's a recording that includes that "verse."  It's not really a verse, so much as a spoken introduction.  Please don't ask why the video is a picture of Bing Crosby, because I'm just as puzzled about that as you are!

"Here Comes Santa Claus" was definitely written by Gene Autry.  The trouble with some of those lyrics sites is that they will often attribute the writing of a song to anyone who's ever recorded it.  It's a bit of linguistic confusion that in the context of recorded music, the word "by" can often mean "this person sang it" in addition to "this person wrote it."  Those persons are not always the same. 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

these lyrics are credited to Gene Autry and 5 other people, including Mariah Carey.

Hey, if Mariah Carey wrote it in 1946, all I can say is she looks pretty good for her age!!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 12

Not as good a game for me last night.

Only ran 2 categories: Dr Seuss Baking Challenge and Planet Features.

Did get all but 1 right in 6 categories: From The President's Memoir (for some reason I thought presidents were righting their memoirs while in office and said Lincoln - d'oh!), What A Steal (said Oppenheimer instead of Einstein), Contractions, Mythology (didn't know double flute), South America The Beautiful (forgot that cataract is waterfall for a moment) and Recast For TV.

I said Santa Claus is Coming to Town for FJ even though I didn't think it was right.  Completely forgot that Here Comes Santa Claus was a song.

Did anyone else laugh when methane was the answer to the Uranus clue?  Just me?  Alrighty then.

• Wink 2
  • LOL 2

I guessed Rudolph for FJ, because all my brain could come up with that quickly was the "as they shouted out with glee" line from that song.

We love the new champ at my house.  He just seems like a really pleasant person.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Should have put on sunglasses before opening this site today… so bright! And so much white! I had to dim my screen before I could continue. (And yes, I’m aware of dark mode, but for some reason white text on black gives me a headache.)

Fortunately, dark mode is best for my eyes, my floaters disappear. White mode is painful for me.

16 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I said Silver Bells because of the line 'see the kids bunch, this is Santa's big scene' but figured I was wrong. I think I got it when the champ did, when Ken said something about 'here comes Santa Claus' being something the kids might have said.

I got Silver Bells too, though I'm not exactly sure why. My Christmas song knowledge isn't deep - I'm a grinch when it comes to Christmas music, except for Silent Night, which I sing each year in German in remembrance of my mom, who was born very close to where it was written.

14 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought I would slay the Greek letter category but could not convert any but the last two in time. 

I did ok because I refused to think about the Greek letters. Didn't run it or anything, but got more than if I were trying to figure it out.

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Also, speaking of lyrics:

I loved this song as a child because of the lyric “up on the housetop, reindeer paws…” Everyone knows reindeer have hooves, not paws! Yet my tiny brain found the idea delightful, to the point where I used to make cupped paw motions with my hands while singing it.

Cut to present day, where I JUST found out the actual lyric is “up on the housetop, reindeer pause…”. And now I’m having a fine time laughing at myself. Who wants to join in? 😉

I love having that happen. I had the same aha experience for a far less G rated song (Lola) a few years ago, in front of my kids and husband. I laughed, but was still pretty embarrassed for a while. To be fair, the structure of the lyrics can be read in a different way and I was a teen (I think) when it came out.

I did okay, but no FJ.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Once again, the champ is silent or had the wrong response, until his two contestants caught up. Then, he took off with one correct response after another. Occasionally, he had the wrong response... but not enough to lose his lead. I find it strange. This hasn't happened with all champions, but lately I've noticed an interesting trend.

If the third place contestant hadn't wagered in FJ I'm pretty sure he would have won by a few hundred dollars.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Hey, if Mariah Carey wrote it in 1946, all I can say is she looks pretty good for her age!!!

What I was suggesting was that maybe she added some lyrics later on. I couldn’t think of another reason her name would be on the credits. (Thanks, MrAtoz, for clearing that up.)

But I’m also open to time travel theories!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1