Type keyword(s) to search

Site Update Open Thread

FYI on a number of things:

1) The entire site upgrade is not complete yet. You'll notice the Rules link up top is broken - things like that. These major things are all known and being dealt with.

2) The new theme is at 90%. There will be improvements and changes (and a new landing page) in a week or so as this gets wrapped up. The upgrade itself became more of a hassle involving backend breaking changes that stop-worked some progress on that front but that pause also gives me some time to redo a few odds and ends as well. I know about the shows stuff (especially people wanting the entire tag to be clickable and not just the show name text)

3) Some live features are not in play yet. You will see things while viewing topics such as "10 people are currently reading" and "Thismember and ThatMember are typing..." in a week or two once we get a few things synced up.

4) Light and Dark modes are a toggle away. Look in the top right of the page, to the left of your username. See the sun or moon icon? Click it. It's just a toggle. Swap back and forth as often as you like.

5) At the bottom of the page, for members (not guests), you have a text size chooser (only a few sizes and limited to content text, not scaling the entire site) and also by popular mod demand, a width chooser. Default matches the Primetimer homepage width but many want the full width experience. Choose what you like.

6) Manage Followed Content menu option is under your usermenu in the top right - just click your name.

7) For the few of you using custom streams, that option is just beneath your username in the breadcrumb line - look for the word streams next to unread content and mark site read.

8) On your forum posts, look in the top right of the post for three dots. That's your edit menu plus more.

Floor is open.

• Like 1

In the Topics view under Manage Followed Content, the thread links just go to the first page, instead of to new comments. I'm hoping this is one of the things still under construction, as currently that view is basically unusable.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

I was just trying to reply to another thread and nothing happens when I hit Submit Reply. The button just says “Saving” and then turns back into the green “Submit Reply” without actually posting.

Edited by Cotypubby
7 minutes ago, redpencil said:

the thread links just go to the first page, instead of to new comments.

Go to your usermenu (click your name in the top right of the screen) and choose Account Settings - then Content View Behavior. Make sure you've got what you need there. If after setting that those links are still not behaving correctly for you post up, they will need to get altered to be "aware".

4 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

The button just says “Saving”

If you can clear your browser cache that should help if you have some stale js lingering. If this behavior persists post up - I've seen it before but its usually that, or you just happened to catch an internet burp. Not trying to dismiss this (I have seen it if a few times on my sites even) but its usually just one of those "dumb things"

2 minutes ago, AllAstronauts said:

Go to your usermenu (click your name in the top right of the screen) and choose Account Settings - then Content View Behavior. Make sure you've got what you need there. If after setting that those links are still not behaving correctly for you post up, they will need to get altered to be "aware".

Just checked, and mine is set to "Take me to comments I haven't read", which I assume is what I want. But the topic links in Manage Followed Content still go to the first page (I can also tell from the URL when I hover, since it doesn't have the "getNewComment" piece of the url in there).

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, AllAstronauts said:

If you can clear your browser cache that should help if you have some stale js lingering. If this behavior persists post up - I've seen it before but its usually that, or you just happened to catch an internet burp. Not trying to dismiss this (I have seen it if a few times on my sites even) but its usually just one of those "dumb things"

Thanks. I reloaded the page and saw that every time I had hit Reply the post did actually go through after all! 🙃 about 10 of them in a row ha! But I deleted the duplicates and it’s good now.

Edited by Cotypubby

I can confirm that followed topics not taking me to the first unread post (missing the getNewComment part of the url). In addition to that the topic title is very narrow which makes it basically unusable (especially with very long titles but even short titles use multiple lines). See attached screenshot.

Followed.thumb.jpg.1a68b5173b2273a2c494a929d4d112a6.jpg

• Like 5
42 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Will the Mark all threads as read

Screenshot 2022-12-20 003222.png

Unless this was somewhere else... If it was just on a forum it's probably missing due to incompatibility right now (it'll get patched)

31 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

I can confirm that followed topics not taking me to the first unread post

That also looks absolutely horrible 🤢

On the list... Also going to sleep now. SilverStorm will be around in a few hours to pick up the slack here.

32 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

I can confirm that followed topics not taking me to the first unread post (missing the getNewComment part of the url). In addition to that the topic title is very narrow which makes it basically unusable (especially with very long titles but even short titles use multiple lines). See attached screenshot.

Just noting that if you change the width setting at the very bottom of the screen to Full instead of Normal, it looks better (though some topic titles still more lines than they need to be).

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Full width does look better. Thanks for that tip. One other thing I noticed: the followed forums used to show a different background color if there were topics in the forum with unread posts. It no longer does that so I can not see from the followed forums if a forum has unread posts.

• Like 3

Full width and normal look the same. I don’t like how the alphabetical order on the home page  is running from top to bottom in one narrow column and then shifting over to another so you can’t find your place in the alphabet without going up and down multiple times. This is on an iPad. 

• Like 17
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, redpencil said:

Just noting that if you change the width setting at the very bottom of the screen to Full instead of Normal, it looks better (though some topic titles still more lines than they need to be).

Note:  
Full Width still requires turning my iPhone 7 Plus sideways to start a bullet list. 
Not a big deal.  
Likely a future enhancement will have an ellipsis button / … / kebab menu to pop out the bullet list options.

9 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

3) Some live features are not in play yet. You will see things while viewing topics such as "10 people are currently reading" and "Thismember and ThatMember are typing..." in a week or two once we get a few things synced up.

Curious to see if someone types a reply and then, before submitting the response, goes to get some “food for thought” for, say, an hour or more, but leaves the page open, will the words "Thismember is typing..." remain?

Another question:   
Wont the "Thismember and ThatMember are typing..."  feature likely slow down the site??

Anyhoo, I see @SilverStormm‘s reply below, and have more concerns with possible bugs in this feature (like will it interfere with the feature that shows the response I started typing yesterday?) but let’s wait until it gets rolled out.

Edited by shapeshifter
More thoughts
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The topics in pop culture used to appear by themselves on the home page. Why do we now have to go to an extra level

All board levels are now at the top level on the All Shows homepage. 

Full width and normal look the same. I don’t like how the alphabetical order on the home page  is running from top to bottom in one narrow column and then shifting over to another so you can’t find your place in the alphabet without going up and down multiple times. This is on an iPad. 

3 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Not sure if this is part of the upgrades to come with the site theme, but when in Dark Mode, the text in the search box is white...in a white box with a very light blue highlight, so it's basically unreadable.

Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 1.15.53 AM.png

@AllAstronauts will respond to both of the above when he comes back

1 hour ago, Geeky GenXer said:

Even though it says All Shows I cannot see a run down of all the topic listings. 

You need to click on whichever genre to see the show listings within that genre

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Note:  
Full Width still requires turning my iPhone 7 Plus sideways to start a bullet list. 
Not a big deal.  
Likely a future enhancement will have an ellipsis button / … / kebab menu to pop out the bullet list options.

Pinging @AllAstronauts

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Curious to see if someone types a reply and then, before submitting the response, goes to get some “food for thought” for, say, an hour or more, but leaves the page open, will the words "Thismember is typing..." remain?

As I understand it, the function will be a 'live' one. Therefore, it should constantly update who is typing/viewing in real time.

• Sad 1

I don’t like how the alphabetical order on the home page  is running from top to bottom in one narrow column and then shifting over to another so you can’t find your place in the alphabet without going up and down multiple times. This is on an iPad.

I agree with this so much. Can we get back to a single alphabet from top to bottom?
[I'm using Chrome on my laptop]

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

OK I hate to be positive here 😉.... 

But I love the new format. 

And I normally HATE change.

It's easier to read, and I love how it jumps straight to "Unread replies".

(Mac Safari 16.2)

Back to my normally, negative, snarky show-talk self....

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, AAEBoiler said:

I agree with this so much. Can we get back to a single alphabet from top to bottom?

Unsure whether that's even possible? @AllAstronauts

29 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Just now when I did next page in reading a topic it went to the end of the page instead of the next item at the top of the next page. 

@AllAstronauts will respond

12 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

OK I hate to be positive here 😉.... 

But I love the new format. 

And I normally HATE change.

It's easier to read, and I love how it jumps straight to "Unread replies".

(Mac Safari 16.2)

Back to my normally, negative, snarky show-talk self....

Thanks! 😉

39 minutes ago, AAEBoiler said:

This is also happening for me on my desktop computer on any browser.  This is probably the worst inconvenience I can see, and I can't see why it wouldn't be possible to fix, as it worked the other way for years.  Please help!

• Like 6

I know these have been mentioned at various points already, but if I could wave my magic wand I'd ask for two things:

1) Make the alphabetizing on the "your shows" page across-then-down (vs. the down-then-across as it is now).  Or at least, make the individual letters go across the page (like, all "A" shows, in columns across the page, then all "B" shows, etc.) - isn't that how it was before?

2) Show the subcategories under the "Beyond TV" categories (so you don't have to click on each to see if there are new posts in the subcategories you're interested in).  Again, that's how it was before.

Everything else seems to be working okay for me - no glitches so far!

Oh, and also - plus 1 on this, from the OP:

2) The new theme is at 90%. There will be improvements and changes (and a new landing page) in a week or so as this gets wrapped up. The upgrade itself became more of a hassle involving backend breaking changes that stop-worked some progress on that front but that pause also gives me some time to redo a few odds and ends as well. I know about the shows stuff (especially people wanting the entire tag to be clickable and not just the show name text)

Edited by SoMuchTV
Adding a comment about making the whole show tag clickable.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

Also agree with this!! Why is it formatted like that? That does not make logical sense to have to keep scrolling up and down like that. The alphabet should to A-Z, top to bottom. Not separated into multiple columns. It makes it more difficult to find what you are looking for, not less.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

Screenshot 2022-12-20 003222.png

Unless this was somewhere else... If it was just on a forum it's probably missing due to incompatibility right now (it'll get patched)

That also looks absolutely horrible 🤢

On the list... Also going to sleep now. SilverStorm will be around in a few hours to pick up the slack here.

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I meant the Mark FORUM Read that occured at the top of each page, not the entire site! Still not showing up. Thanks!

Occurred on both Amazon Fire and Android. 

ETA I found the Mark Read. At the bottom of the page where all the previously read stuff is. Can it be moved to the top of the page where unread threads live? What a pain to have to scroll down to use this feature. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
forum, not topic
  • Like 4

I love the dark mode, I'm just looking to be able to set my front page back to the forums being listed in blocks, rather than a list going down the screen. It's not absolutely needed, I just preferred that. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I don’t like how the alphabetical order on the home page  is running from top to bottom in one narrow column and then shifting over to another so you can’t find your place in the alphabet without going up and down multiple times. This is on an iPad. 

It's on a monitor, too, and it's horrible looking.  Hands-down, my main objection to the update; it's counter-intuitive and thus annoying. 

12 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The topics in pop culture used to appear by themselves on the home page. Why do we now have to go to an extra level

I dislike this, too. 

Along with getting to Edit now requiring two steps instead of one.  Seems silly for such a widely-used function.

16 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

You will see things while viewing topics such as "10 people are currently reading" and "Thismember and ThatMember are typing..." in a week or two once we get a few things synced up.

My gut reaction is "Creepy", but I guess I actually just find it odd -- why would anyone want to know that?  But I grant I, being something of a Luddite, have a different reaction from most to these things.  (For example, I rarely text, and when I do it's on an old flip phone, but I gather most are used to looking at a phone and seeing that someone is in the process of replying.)

Other than those things, I'm good (and that last one is just a personal oddity rather than proper user feedback).  I prefer the old look (so much white with vomits of rainbow on this one), but will easily adapt (and soon forget what the old one looked like; that's what happens to me when things change).  And I appreciate it's not a glaring white.  (I don't like dark mode during the day, but don't want light mode to be too bright.)

This was obviously a lot of work, so I hope my complaints aren't taken as insults, just feedback.  I have no major objections other than I truly hate the new home page layout and hope that can be put back in a more logical display of alphabetical order.  It bugged me greatly last night when I first saw the change, and I feel 100% as strongly about it today, so it's not just a knee-jerk reaction to it being different.

Oh, wait, one more thing -- is everything a fair bit smaller than it used to be?  I have terrible eyesight even with glasses, so I have my browser zoom set at 170% percent, but even after choosing the largest type here and the wide setting, some things looked smaller -- maybe not the forum text, but the text of my notifications and such.  So I switched to 200%; no big deal (unless I find out that eliminates something from my screen), but I'm curious.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I just noticed some posted images are not displaying since the upgrade, just the border and a number, like this post and several others on the same and previous page of the same thread:   
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/11652-say-what-literally-and-other-offenders-on-the-grammar-police-docket/?do=findComment&comment=7792509

D8A8E563-6850-488E-A6EF-37B9D925652B.thumb.png.d532bf56494083c8abb7c0910acf84f8.png
The images are missing on both iPhone Safari and Windows Chrome (latest OS updates).

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

some posted images are not displaying since the upgrade

Based on the time those posts were made I'm betting it's right when the site was toggled offline. OR! That particular image appears to be linked in from Facebook or somewhere with a signed url which if you inspect the page and go to the embedded image url for that gives you: URL signature expired.

For someone who mostly uses this site on mobile, this is going to take some getting used to.  It feels like it’s not quite as user-friendly as it was before.

The Sports forum is where I spend most of my life.  If I understood the post from before, it’s never going to show up on my curated home page like before?  I’ll always have to click the Interests button first?  If so, that’s a bummer because even with this upgrade, for some reason from the iPhone I often have to click multiple times before a page will open.  I guess it’s an Apple thing because the iPad is the same.

All that said, thanks for keeping these free forums going.  Otherwise my hot takes on Survivor would just float off into the ether.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, AstridM said:

This looks tiny from here

You did click the image to make it real sized right? I can add another size up easily enough, but if you are referring to "everything" besides the actual post content you are probably better off with the browser magnification.

21 hours ago, Geeky GenXer said:

@SilverStormm this is all i am getting unless i search for the show

screenshot 2.jpg

You need to click on one of the genre categories; 'Drama', 'Comedy' etc and the shows in that category will be listed.

If your comment or question hasn't been approved yet, please bear with us, you haven't been forgotten. This isn't operating on a first come, first served basis; we're working on all the things but some things take priority/are a more simple fix than others, thanks. 

• Like 3

Where is the edit button for our posts? I need it to fix my frequent typos.

I also posted this question in Small Talk on the Shopping Channels forum because it took me a while to remember where this site update forum was.

On 12/19/2022 at 9:16 PM, AllAstronauts said:

Thanks for your work on the forum.  I especially like the ability to adjust the type size and eliminate some of the white space.  Not crazy about the above feature though.  Hopefully members can opt out?  I frequently will type something but then change my mind about posting.

• Like 1