Type keyword(s) to search

Site Update Open Thread

I have tried to check the movie section. I press on Pop Culture and then get the choice including movies. However when I try to press on Movies (I’m on an iPad) nothing happens. I have tried a few times and gone back to the beginning, but that subject still alludes me. Please help. 
Thank you. 

P.S. I just tried to get access to Books, but none of the choices seem to be working. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
I added a P.S.
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 12:24 AM, paulvdb said:

Full width does look better. Thanks for that tip. One other thing I noticed: the followed forums used to show a different background color if there were topics in the forum with unread posts. It no longer does that so I can not see from the followed forums if a forum has unread posts.

I don't like that it's not obvious which forums have new posts. 

Edited by Fireball
  • Like 3

The font size is just a cookie, set on your browser of choice, nothing more. If you routinely wipe site cookies you'll lose the setting. But again, its bone-simple, just change it again. 

I will say this though: the underlying controller to set these is JavaScript and browsers tend to cache aggressively. If embiggened does not work at all clear your browser caches to get the newer js file loaded. Better still if you hard refresh (if you do not know look that up in your search engine of choice).

3 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

Posts are no longer date & time stamped. 

What? Yes they are. That has not changed. Now I'm curious what you are looking at...

16 minutes ago, AllAstronauts said:

The font size is just a cookie, set on your browser of choice, nothing more. If you routinely wipe site cookies you'll lose the setting. But again, its bone-simple, just change it again. 

I will say this though: the underlying controller to set these is JavaScript and browsers tend to cache aggressively. If embiggened does not work at all clear your browser caches to get the newer js file loaded. Better still if you hard refresh (if you do not know look that up in your search engine of choice).

What? Yes they are. That has not changed. Now I'm curious what you are looking at...

The timestamps I see are when the day of the week something was posted is hovered over.

I picked the Embiggened font, then had the usual new posts message pop up to go to 1st new post. Clicked on that and the font went back to normal. 

Note: I  just looked and Embiggened is still checked but refreshing doesn't do anything. (Chrome/Android/Samsung S10+)

The Manage Followed Content mess is caused by a plugin (not mine) - took me awhile to figure that out (slow...). I'm disabling it short-term so you might be missing some stuff there but it will work better.

EDIT: scratch that, there's a bunch of stuff going on with that thing, I'll have to poke the bear first.

EDIT: Better?

• Thanks 1

The new design has very low contrast between words and background. Is there any way to change that? It's extremely hard to read. It's like thin tendrils of grey letters on grey mist. I want to change the entire site to bold, and this doesn't happen with any other site, so I really think it has to be the color palette here. 

I don't want to change to dark mode, which is a whole other kind of eye strain.

• Like 7

Can you put Manage Followed Content back on the menu where it used to be, so we don't have to go clicking around our profiles to get to it? It's the main way I navigate the site. It looks like there's room on the line with rules, "conversation starters" and so on.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Can you put Manage Followed Content back on the menu where it used to be

No, but I might (prob...) will put it here as streams link there has unread in it already (though will probably get yelled at for moving that link and so on...)

Screenshot 2022-12-22 122147.png

When I go to the TV index to add/remove using the dark theme option the columns where the shows are listed turn white when hovered over. I know the new theme isn't 100% yet so I don't know if this is a known issue that is part of all the ones that are known or not.

10 minutes ago, RealityCheck said:

<Sigh>  Thanks.

There is a struggle between heavily emphasizing the actual content and setting aside peripheral stuff (controls) and information (date, time, etc.) and accessibility, especially when you split the differences by fading and such (if you hover over that top area it will darken). I'll make a note for working up a high-contrast toggle (not imminent but on the list).

On that note, to all, and all who have not had post approved - I've read all the posts. Non-approval is just noise control - not that you are noisy - just keeping things somewhat sane as I work through things.

And on that THAT note, the fixes trickling out are just that, fixes, as mentioned before, the upgrade is a bit "forced" so most of real work is going into the now-required updated-again theme that accounts for some live features and such. It is mostly copy/paste re-creation and then adjusting as needed but its gotta get worked through. Keep yelling though, I'll see them and FYI SilverStormm is occupado today so that's also why some of this stuff isn't getting approved and so on - not to mention my other clients are also being clients and I'm dealing with the northern Midwest pseudo-blizzard and plows continuously plowing the driveway closed. Snow-blowing when the temperature in -2 degrees (F) with a 10+mph wind ain't no fun and it cannot wait because if you leave the end of the driveway closed up that compacted snow turns into immovable icebergs of some height and you try getting over that with your (non-lifted) vehicle of choice That's an average -17 wind chill for those not wanting to math it out btw - the goggles (and gloves) do nothing.

19 minutes ago, RealityCheck said:

In my defense, the contrast is very light and my eyes are pretty bad

5 or so years ago my lateral eye muscles spasmed for about two weeks and then gave up the ghost. It's +2's now for me if I want to do anything involving text.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 3
On 12/21/2022 at 7:37 PM, Coffeecup said:

Where is the edit button for our posts? I need it to fix my frequent typos.

I also posted this question in Small Talk on the Shopping Channels forum because it took me a while to remember where this site update forum was.

At the top right of your post there are 3 dots, click those and a dropdown menu will appear, the edit button is there.

Edited by SilverStormm
Apparently, today I cannot string cohesive sentences together.
On 12/21/2022 at 4:58 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I have tried to check the movie section. I press on Pop Culture and then get the choice including movies. However when I try to press on Movies (I’m on an iPad) nothing happens. I have tried a few times and gone back to the beginning, but that subject still alludes me. Please help. 
Thank you. 

P.S. I just tried to get access to Books, but none of the choices seem to be working. 

On 12/21/2022 at 7:52 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

This had been happening since yesterday:  the Books thread does not open. 

I don't see that there's been an official response on this, and this may not be your issue,  but did you make sure to tap/click exactly on the text of the category, not just anywhere on the yellow block?  (Ask me how I know 😉).  That's something that appears to be on their list of known issues.

• Like 2

Going to any topics that I follow, it does not go directly to unread replies, just page 1. In forums, the threads work fine. I checked my settings and they are correct. This is a problem in safari and chrome on an iPad. It does however, show where unread replies start, it just doesn’t jump there.

• Like 11
20 minutes ago, AllAstronauts said:

You folks on the Managed Followed Content area  - is this a destination for you to manage your follows or are you using it to actually track activity on your followed stuff and go there?

I use it to see which forums/topics I follow have new content, and go directly there. 

• Like 9
3 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

You folks on the Managed Followed Content area  - is this a destination for you to manage your follows or are you using it to actually track activity on your followed stuff and go there?

I use it for topics I follow that aren't shows and thus won't be on my customized home page. And I click from there to get to new content in those topics. I primarily use it for topics that aren't within a show forum, like various tv movie or sports threads. Anything that's an actual show will be on my home page if I follow it, but other topics would require more digging to find, so that's what I use Manage Followed Content for, as a place to find all those various topics in one place and read new content in them.

Edited by redpencil
  • Like 9

The highlight around topics seems to be behaving differently (on desktop) than it used to.

When I hover over a topic the box will light up yellow. I used to be able to click anywhere in such a box to go to that topic.

Since the upgrade, the hitbox is now confined to the letters. If I click in the yellow bar but not on the letters, nothing happens.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

I use the followed content to see which of my forums and topics have new content. I have the followed forums page bookmarked and it's the first page I go to when I visit the site. I rarely use the official forums homepage. Usually only to see which new shows have been added or when I want to post in a forum or topic that hasn't had new posts for a while.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I use it to see which forums/topics I follow have new content, and go directly there. 

So do I. It's how I access my followed topics that don't show up on the customized home page because, I suppose, they aren't actually shows but stuff like The Royals, Mystery and Detective Shows, etc.

I used to be able to click a link at the top of the home page to get to my followed topics, at least when using my laptop. (Before the changes, I had to go to the "managed followed content" link on mobile devices, but now I also have to do it on my laptop where before I didn't.)

And before the changes, once I got there - on laptop or mobile device - I could access at least the last page directly even if it didn't take me exactly to the new content. Now I have to start at the top of the first page. More clicks.

And, just FYI, just before I posted this, I checked my account settings, and cleared all my browsing data. But I'm still being given access only to the first page of my followed topics (the ones that aren't displayed on my customized home page). 

I wish my customized home page could give me direct access to all my followed topics/forums and allow me to see what's new since I last visited, and go directly there. 

Overall the new update has worked okay for me but this aspect is disappointing. If it isn't improved I'm sure I'll just quit going to any of my followed topics that are so buried that it takes too much clicking to catch up with content and participate. 

Bottom line: I don't understand why each of my followed topics or forums isn't already displayed on my customized home page, whether it's classified as a TV show or "something else."

Thanks.

• Like 5

How do I add a show's forum/thread to my customized home page now?  I followed Dirty Jobs, but it wasn't added to my home page like used to happen before the update.

Updated: I think I see -- if I click on "Easily customize your TV show selections from the TV Show Index", bring up the master list, and click the follow option on a show, it will add it to my home page.  It's just that selecting Follow (by toggling from off to on) from within the thread won't do it. 

Edited by Bastet

We took a break over the festive period and we're back...

raw&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=577b08cabc45e577112cb

Our awesome dev @AllAstronauts is handling the tech stuffs and he's reading every post. He won't approve a post until he can provide an answer/solution/explanation, that way he can keep track of what he has and hasn't addressed in here already. 

Anything I myself am able to answer has been approved and responded to. If you have a non-tech site update-related question please @mention me and I will respond as soon as I'm able.

Thanks for your patience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1

Just happened on the “Holey Moley” and “New Show Forum Requests” forums. 

Adding:  this is happening on iPhone/Safari. Just tried on Windows/Firefox and it did ask for confirmation. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Adding device/browser data

@SilverStormm Update:

If you want to sign in and check my topics there are several unread ones now (you requested for an issue).

Since the update I have same issue of being taken to first page of followed topics from my followed page but the code does keep up with where I left off and I can go to last page and back track. What is new is that if I go to the main group and click on what I follow it will take me to where I left off. Example comedies main page click Brady Bunch and it will take me to where I left off, even if I don’t follow. 

This is not happening with followed forums just topics.

iphone 11 16.1.2 safari

chromebook google updated

• Like 2
On 1/18/2023 at 1:47 PM, stewedsquash said:

@SilverStormm Update:

If you want to sign in and check my topics there are several unread ones now (you requested for an issue).

Since the update I have same issue of being taken to first page of followed topics from my followed page but the code does keep up with where I left off and I can go to last page and back track. What is new is that if I go to the main group and click on what I follow it will take me to where I left off. Example comedies main page click Brady Bunch and it will take me to where I left off, even if I don’t follow. 

This is not happening with followed forums just topics.

iphone 11 16.1.2 safari

chromebook google updated

This is part of those update-related glitches, gremlins and bears, oh my! The dev will hopefully post an update in here soon.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1