Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Here's Looking at You

• Start Topic

Charles, Oliver and Mabel welcome an unexpected young visitor who reveals hidden secrets about the inner workings of the Arconia. We also discover Charles once recorded a hit single that was huge in Germany.

Available 7/12

• Fire 1
  • Love 1

This is getting tense! I’d considered the Dimas’s as possible suspects but thought they’d never get out on bail. Are they both there for grave robbing or is Theo facing some sort of accidental homicide-type charge?

I get frustrated when they don’t share everything they know. Lucy thinks Charles is in danger but holds back info? She knows which hallway the killer went down. That seems like it’d be useful.

Loud sneezing? Why do I think it’s the therapist, but that wouldn’t explain Bunny’s reaction when she opened the door like one of the Dimas men standing there.

Jan!

• Like 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Second episode in a row where I was fifty/fifty laughs/tears.

I do not understand why that song would go to number one in Germany, but I won't complain.

That Teddy/Theo scene. I don't know if I can watch that again.

I sort of laughed when Nina went into labor. Mostly cause she had tried all those things to induce and turns out all she needed was some sexing from Jared. I think that helps induce labor that late in pregnancy, but ignore me if it doesn't.

Lucy's a little freak but I like her. No way she's going back to CT. Has she been back there since Bunny's murder? It didn't seem like it to me.

The passageways were cool, but they were talking so loudly in them.

It looked like the Easter Egg was

Spoiler

a pair of blue hospital booties hanging from the tree in the very beginning as they pan up from Bunny. Looked like the person that Lucy saw in the passageway had booties on? Or could be the flip flops from Charles' album?

Edited by grandmabegum
  • Love 6
(edited)

I rewatched last week's shortly before this one and was prepared to look for more clues that it was Nina.
At least I was on the same page as our Scooby Gang.

I love the double (or however many) entendre of the episode title, “Here’s Lookin’ At You.”  
Obviously the peep holes in the passageways.  
But also as in “Here’s lookin’ at you, kid” from Bogie to Bacall——which has also been used as a line in countless scripts referencing the original, as well as in several contemporary songs.

43 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

Loud sneezing? Why do I think it’s the therapist, but that wouldn’t explain Bunny’s reaction when she opened the door like one of the Dimas men standing there.

Please remind me: What therapist?

Do we know anyone who sneezes?

I do think Bunny's reaction would fit with one of the Dimases showing up at her door.

That bloody knife is so Chekhovian.

Great casting for Lucy (Zoe Colletti) and great tween speak lines.

Wow. I asked for Nathan Lane to return as Teddy, and wow. Wow. Scary dark Teddy. 😨

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

The therapist is the black guy who was at Bunny's goodbye luncheon and who takes venmo for payment. I am convinced that the person in the passageway was a man. I am no expert but he had a strange way of walking.

I really liked this episode but these secret passages are kind of getting out of hand. And that one they walked down could be sold as a 3 bedroom apartment it was so wide. Has no one in the Arconia every looked at a map of the building? You mean to tell me that Lucy knew all about these passages 8 years ago and never once told Charles about it or let it slip? Also no stunt double on set for Charles?

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

I’m grasping at straws with the therapist. The killer seems like a big guy to me and I picture him with a handkerchief (probably to wipe his brow not sneeze.) Plus Bunny wouldn’t have been so surprised to see him.

On a shallow note: I loved Mabel’s skirt with the curving blue lines. I want it to be cold again so I can wear tights and sweaters.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

After tonights episode I am thinking that the person in the passageway may not have been the killer. If Lucy knew and played in the passageway there is a good chance that the killer may know or not. I thought it looked a bit like Theo for whatever reason but it is possible the killer did away with Bunny and someone else actually witnessed it from the tunnel. I could have sworn I saw some newspapers in a few places. Maybe it is a hideaway for some of the staff? 

Oh wait if they weren't the killer why would they be in a mask? Nevermind ......

I loved the look on Jan's face at the end. Lucy said they were a good match.....

Oliver and Mabel are going to freak out.

Edited by sjankis630
  • Like 4

Oh now I am thinking that maybe it was Lucy that texted them to get out of the building that night. I am more confused now but i have to go to bed as it is 2:00 am here and I have to work tomorrow. 

GN.

• Useful 10
(edited)

Another wonderful episode. It made me laugh, then cry, then laugh again, then surprised shock. It had it all. Charles and Lucy were so sweet, and the way Charles soothed Nina made me teary eyed. I hope this isn’t the last we see if Lucy because I loved the character and the chemistry she had with the trio.

I wish Lucy told Charles she was in the passageways and may have seen the murderer. I don’t recognize the guy’s build at all unless it’s Nina’s baby daddy since we haven’t seen much of him yet. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 4

Love how Charles tried to get Mabel to bond with Lucy since was closer to her age, but even Mabel couldn't understand half of her slang or what she was referencing.  Even being one generation apart can feel so different!

Nice to finally meet Lucy.  The actress was really good and she and Steve Martin did an excellent job at showing their relationship.  You can see why he was almost like a father figure to her and why it hurt so much when they not only separated but had no contact for close to eight years.  Hopefully things will change for them going forward and we see her again this season.

Oh, shit!  Teddy and Theo are back!  On house arrest, but still!  Nathan Lane was surprisingly chilling when Teddy threatened Oliver like that.  But that scene between Teddy and Theo though.  Brutal, and I can't believe I was actually feeling bad for them.  Teddy in particular is an awful person, but really do believe that he loves Theo with all of his heart.  Curious to see how they'll factor in going forward.

Looks like Nina is off the board as a likely suspect now already.  Definitely thinking that whoever Lucy saw in the passageway might not actually be the killer.  Can see him or her possibly being involved, but I think there will be a lot more at play here.

That song was classic Steve Martin.  Would have been a hit in Germany too!  If it wasn't for that damn Berlin Wall...

Jan!!

• Like 3
  • Love 7
(edited)

I am sooooo glad that they cast a talented and charismatic young actress as Lucy! I've been super invested in Charles' relationship with her since his story! But, Lucy, tell Charles the whole truth!!!

I laughed so hard at Mabel's look of confusion and borderline horror as she understood not a whit of what Lucy was saying! Lol! You could see her thinking to herself "is this how Charles and Oliver feel??"

Oliver, you better have gone to your son!!!

Man, that close call with the killer and Lucy was TENSE!!

And now we know HOW Charles has been supporting himself all these years!! Lol.

Edited by Maren
Grammar
  • Like 3
  • Love 14

Between the knitting needles, the painting, and now Oliver's knife, it's obvious the killer wants to frame all three of them. I wonder why the knife was put in Charles' apartment, though. Maybe the secret passageways don't connect to all the apartments and the killer couldn't get into Oliver's. I was laughing when Oliver tossed the knife into the ceiling and I was so nervous it was going to fall while Howard was there and he'd see they have the murder weapon. 

It's really fishy that Lucy withheld so much info from Charles. She not only was there in the secret passageway with the killer, but heard the murder too, and possibly captured the sounds on her phone since she was recording. The killer sneezing will probably be important. I bet it'll come out that someone has allergies or was sick the night of Bunny's murder. How long has it been since the murder? Could Lucy have been at the Arconia the entire time since then? 

Nina's almost certainly not the killer, but her husband might be involved somehow. 

Jan! I wonder what she knows.

• Like 3
(edited)

Namaste!

8 hours ago, grandmabegum said:

It looked like the Easter Egg was

Hide contents

a pair of blue hospital booties hanging from the tree in the very beginning as they pan up from Bunny. Looked like the person that Lucy saw in the passageway had booties on? Or could be the flip flops from Charles' album?

Spoiler

Maybe baby booties? One reviewer said it was a pair of flip-flops. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Useful 3

The killer in the passages was definitely wearing booties, which makes sense if you are going to commit a murder. That would suggest that the person we saw getting off the elevator with the tiny combat boot feet was not the murderer and was just somebody there to visit Bunny dressed in black.

I don't like that they brought back Teddy, Theo and Jan before I get a good explanation of who Charles' father was, why haven't we heard what Charles remembers.

What do we have here,

Feature-Image-6.png
Computer Enhance!
omitbs02-1.jpg

Oh, it's Lucy! Coming back to show us that the Arconia is riddled with secret "dimly lit?"passageways, where you can clearly hear people, but they can't hear you. Also that the tunnels link up to Bunny's secret private elevator. This makes it even harder to believe that Charles, Oliver, and Mabel could crawl from one apartment into another without falling into the secret passage. Every time a new rich tenant moves into an apartment, they renovate and upgrade, even knock down walls, the secret passages would have been found long ago. Remember one tenant had an entire floor of the building to themselves. I am guessing that the Hardy Boys would have found the secret passages, except they took the lazy way and duplicated all the keys to every apartment. So now we know that Oliver never locks his apartment and Charles doesn't know how to correctly lock his apartment. It makes you wonder why Lucy needed a key in the first place.

Why does Charles have the "fake" painting of Savage sitting out in the open, if anybody sees it, they might think Charles is connected to the murder, since it went missing the night of the murder. Also how long has the "fake" painting of Savage been there, it might be recent or the "fake" may have been there for years, with Bunny selling the original years ago for some pocket change.

Anybody know what that thing was that Nina was going to put on the roof? Maybe it was a dirigible that allows people to fly from rooftop to rooftop of all the buildings in Manhattan to save commute time?

Anyway, number one suspect shifts to Nina's "husband?", the guy seems a little desperate. We will probably find out that he lived in the Arconia as a kid or is related to the original architect and knows all about the secret passages.

Stupid thought, the kid that Lucy used to play "hide and seek" with also knows about the secret passageways, maybe she is one of those thrill kill teenagers.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, sjankis630 said:

After tonights episode I am thinking that the person in the passageway may not have been the killer. . . . Oh wait if they weren't the killer why would they be in a mask? Nevermind ......

No, wait, you may be right! The masked person in the passageway may have just been there to steal the painting, but wound up leaving it at Charles' place instead!
And, yes:

I thought it looked a bit like Theo for whatever reason 

I agree that the person in the mask did look like Theo around the eyes?

Oh now I am thinking that maybe it was Lucy that texted them to get out of the building that night. I am more confused now but i have to go to bed as it is 2:00 am here and I have to work tomorrow. 

GN.

Ooo! Yes. Maybe Lucy texted them to get out!
I hope you get a power nap at lunch.

Maybe the overheard discussion between Nina and her baby daddy about how Bunny "had to go" was just that she had to retire so they could make changes to the building. Maybe the baby daddy was just going to spook her out and got carried away??? Maybe he just got with Nina so he could make money off of the building? None of this makes a lot sense except that someone on the previous thread noted that Jan appeared in the 3rd episode last season, so episode 4 is about right, maybe???

44 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Anybody know what that thing was that Nina was going to put on the roof? Maybe it was a dirigible that allows people to fly from rooftop to rooftop of all the buildings in Manhattan to save commute time?

That makes more sense than what it looked like to me (that Nina and her baby daddy are aliens and that's the landing pad for their buddies).
So if it was a dirigible-for-commuters scheme, maybe in the end it will turn out Nina and Baby Daddy were snookered and it was never a money making scheme anyway. 
And in the end, maybe the Arconia can generate more income by:

4 hours ago, sjankis630 said:

these secret passages are kind of getting out of hand. And that one they walked down could be sold as a 3 bedroom apartment it was so wide.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I can get behind the idea that the person Lucy saw/heard in the passageway the night of Bunny's murder may have not been the murderer, but it's too soon for someone to be looking to "frame" the trio for the murder of Bunny. If Theo and Teddy wanted revenge (and it looks like Theo does NOT), framing the trio for murder would be a great way to go about it. But would Teddy commit actual murder while awaiting trial?

So, we've been shown someone getting off the elevator on Bunny's floor at the time the trio are headed up to the roof.  That person may not have been the murderer.  Then we are shown someone in the secret passageway, with a mask and booties on, coming from ?  (Charles lives on a different floor from Bunny).

It is annoying that Lucy didn't make clearer to Charles what she saw or heard, and whether she had been living in the walls for two weeks. 

Also, I don't think it was a dirigible that Nina wants to put on the top of the Arconia, but more apartments in a super modern structure built up on top of the original building. 

26-33-Worlds-Top-Strangest-Buildings-museum-of-play.thumb.jpg.4194f34b3f403007a21071cf5d494609.jpg

I mostly enjoyed this episode, but not as much as the previous episode.  😁

Edited by cardigirl
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, phalange said:

I was laughing when Oliver tossed the knife into the ceiling and I was so nervous it was going to fall while Howard was there and he'd see they have the murder weapon.

"Oh right, the murder weapon in the ceiling."

• Wink 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

...but it's too soon for someone to be looking to "frame" the trio for the murder of Bunny. If ...Teddy wanted revenge...framing the trio for murder would be a great way to go about it. But would Teddy commit actual murder while awaiting trial?

Great questions. My 2 cents (1 cent for each point):

• If this was a Law & Order-ish show, some detective would point out that Teddy could have hired someone to "do his dirty work for him."
    But killing Bunny just to frame and get even with Oliver & friends seems a little Over The Top to me, even for Prison-"Transformed" Teddy. 
    Plus, if Teddy has ever watched any  Law & Order-ish shows (or even talked murder methods in prison), he should know that the more people you get involved in your crime, the more likely someone will trade information about you in exchange for a plea deal.

• It seems more likely to me that whoever murdered Bunny is framing the intrepid podcasters just to cover their own tracks, rather than to seek revenge on the podcasters. 

• Bonus point: I think a TV Medical Examiner would say that 8 stab wounds implies the murderer was "filled with rage." 
    And, from the standpoint of someone (me) who is growing increasingly frail with age, that should rule out people of Bunny's age or older, but maybe not. There's probably a trope about Elderly Murderer With Temporary Super Strength 😼 or something like that.
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Great questions. My 2 cents (1 cent for each point):

• If this was a Law & Order-ish show, some detective would point out that Teddy could have hired someone to "do his dirty work for him."
    But killing Bunny just to frame and get even with Oliver & friends seems a little Over The Top to me, even for Prison-"Transformed" Teddy. 
    Plus, if Teddy has ever watched any  Law & Order-ish shows (or even talked murder methods in prison), he should know that the more people you get involved in your crime, the more likely someone will trade information about you in exchange for a plea deal.

Hiring someone would break the murder mystery rules of fair play, though, I think.  Maybe not.  But the rules of fair play mean that the murderer has to be introduced to the reader/viewer pretty early in the book/show/movie.  

• Like 3

Thinking about these passages are making my head hurt.  

Where was Lucy? By Charles’ apartment? Them how did she hear the screaming? By Bunny/Mabel’s apartments? Why did she climb down 2 floors?
Are we really to believe that Oliver climbed down 8 floors to Teddy’s apartment on 6? And then back up? (Charles is on 14, right?) Is Nina also on 14?  

Im gonna have to rewatch to gather and organize my thoughts. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Another great episode.  Just a few thoughts, because I agree with everyone's observations so far (even conflicting ones).  I've loved the whole series, but it's really found a great stride this season.  Love Lucy, hope she sticks around, but feeling very protective of her.  I don't mind her being on the edge of danger, but really don't want her to get hurt in any way.  

Really glad they didn't drop the whole series at once.  I love anticipating each new episode.  And I kind of wish this was a novel, because I'd love to get lost in a book like this.

And co-signing the calls for people to stop talking so loudly (especially in an echo-y passageway, when they are spying on someone through a vent), because it bugs me with every show/movie that does it.  If you can hear them, they can hear you!  Do you NEED more trouble?  

Just love this show so much.

• Like 3
  • Love 14
(edited)

Yet another great episode, this season hasn't lost a step so far. If anything I think its gotten even better this season, as we already know the characters and the Arcadia so well we can explore them even more. The architect really did love his secret passages, those things are enormous. Everyone needs to stop talking so loudly in those secret passageways, they're going to blow their cover!

I am thrilled that we met Lucy and that she's so delightful. The actress is excellent, she and Steve Martin have great chemistry, you can really see that connection they had even though its been years since they actually saw each other. I hope that we see her again, although I am worried that she could end up in danger. I agree with others that the person Lucy saw in the tunnel might not be the real killer, but someone who was up to something else. 

Mabel's confusion and horror as she realized that she has no idea what Lucy was talking about was hilarious, like she was thinking "Is this how Charles and Oliver feel all the time?" 

With all the talk about parenting this season, I feel like parental relationships will somehow be behind what is going on. Could Mabel's artist girlfriend be someone's long lost daughter? 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

So, Nina’s pregnancy is real??! 

Wait a minute, the fake painting is now kept at Charles’ apartment? Since when? 😳

0AA13397-EEB6-4141-8F75-686BA56AFF84.jpeg

Didn’t they take it from Amy Schumer’s apartment when it was shown to be fake? Or am I making that up in my head?

• Like 6
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
  • Bonus point: I think a TV Medical Examiner would say that 8 stab wounds implies the murderer was "filled with rage." 

Have you ever read "Murder on the Orient Express" by Agatha Christie, or seen the movie?

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, ajsnaves said:

Didn’t they take it from Amy Schumer’s apartment when it was shown to be fake? Or am I making that up in my head?

Ohh ya, you’re right. In Ep.02 Amy Schumer did ask the trio to remove it from her Sting apartment.

Too many details to remember! 😫

15 hours ago, phalange said:

Between the knitting needles, the painting, and now Oliver's knife, it's obvious the killer wants to frame all three of them. I wonder why the knife was put in Charles' apartment, though. Maybe the secret passageways don't connect to all the apartments and the killer couldn't get into Oliver's. I was laughing when Oliver tossed the knife into the ceiling and I was so nervous it was going to fall while Howard was there and he'd see they have the murder weapon. 

The secret passageways must connect to Oliver's apartment as well, otherwise how else the killer have gotten the knife in the first place?

13 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Why does Charles have the "fake" painting of Savage sitting out in the open, if anybody sees it, they might think Charles is connected to the murder, since it went missing the night of the murder. Also how long has the "fake" painting of Savage been there, it might be recent or the "fake" may have been there for years, with Bunny selling the original years ago for some pocket change.

Charles can honestly say that he got it from Amy Schumer a few episodes ago.  Hiding it now would probably look as if he had even more to hide. 

17 hours ago, grandmabegum said:

Second episode in a row where I was fifty/fifty laughs/tears.

I do not understand why that song would go to number one in Germany, but I won't complain.

Hide contents

A little dig at David Hasselhoff who was apparently very big in Germany before the Berlin Wall came down?

• Love 5

Lucy is fantastic. She needs come to back. And damn if this show didn't make me cry with Charles comforting Nina and then Mabel and Lucy's little bonding moment watching it. Charles really is a good guy. Oliver too. I think. Maybe deeper down. :) 

All the secret passageways are weirdly awesome. I work for a builder and we were talking this afternoon about some plans an architect drew for a new house we're doing and I kept speculating that all the "hidden doors" were really secret passageways behind hidden bookcases and such. I feel validated by Hulu now. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 7

Am I the only one who thought Lucy was going to be kidnapped by the person driving her back home? I kept waiting for her to get tied up or a bag put over her head.

Even though Teddy is out for revenge against Oliver, I don't think it's him or his son. Also I had my cc on & there was an "oh jesus" that came up when Teddy was putting his head down to his knees. Was he having a heart attack maybe? It also could just be him saying it in anguish because of his son. It just struck me.

The casting choice for Lucy was superb. Her & Steve had great chemistry together. Charles is such a good guy & I really hope he does find someone. Oliver & Mabel are a hoot together, I love when they get paired off.

The booties the killer was wearing looked to be the kind of booties you wear either for painting or hazmat(ie hospital wear, pest control etc), so as not to get foot prints on things & not to get your shoes dirty. Which if he was wearing those booties he's gotta be the killer. He went in with those shoes as to not make a mess on the floor, not to leave boot prints & because he didn't want blood splatter on the shoes if they searched his residence. You don't wear those if you are just going to steal a painting. 

Whoever did it knows the Arconia like the back of their hand. No way they would have known about the secret passageway without living there. I wonder if there is a secret tenent we don't know about. I also wonder about who previously lived in Charles' apartment before him. 

If I were Charles I wouldn't trust Jan. I feel like she is one of those women that would lure him back in knowning he's a soft touch & then screw him over. Her vibe just reads "trouble!". 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm so glad S2 seems to be just as good as S1, no sophomore slump here. Not much to add, except I did say during the opening credits to my partner that I wish they'd found a way to keep Jan around in a sort of Hannibal Lecter way, and called her Jannibal (mostly because I thought I could hear a bassoon in the opening, which I now think may have been a clue). I should have known they were going that way.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

One thing that struck me as really odd was Charles blowing Lucy off when she texted him the night of Bunny's murder.  She said she was in town, and he said he was busy.  All he was doing was hanging with Mabel and Oliver.  I can't buy that he wouldn't drop everything to see her if she had contacted him. 

8 years seems to be a lot of time for Charles to still be pining over that relationship and loss of Lucy.  Occasional thoughts, sure.  But still making omelets on a regular basis?  That's a bit weird and obsessive.  In season 1 I thought that breakup had been not as far in the past, like only a year or two. 

I would love to know if passages like the ones shown were a real thing in buildings of that era.  I could imagine so, for access to pipes, electric, heating vents, stuff like that.  Though I would have to think they'd be a lot dirtier, and more critters (ew) than what we saw.  As for tenants discovering them while remodeling, those are probably considered load bearing walls, so they could easily be off limits for demolition.

I love that they're allowing Steve Martin to bring his musical talents into the show.  The album was hilarious, as was the use of the sample by rap artists.  And, yes, I also instantly thought of David Hasselhoff in the Germany reference!  Though I don't know if it's a tip of the hat or a dig.   I wonder if at any point we'll get a Charles/Mabel duet...

So, Jan has been constantly calling Charles.  Were all those unanswered calls from one day or over a longer time?  I'm not sure how I feel about the return of Jan. 

Someone reported in the media thread that Hulu has already given the green light to a 3rd season.  So now I'm watching with an eye towards what they might do with a 3rd season.  A 3rd murder might be a bit much, but it is the premise of the show, so who knows.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

Even though Teddy is out for revenge against Oliver, I don't think it's him or his son. Also I had my cc on & there was an "oh jesus" that came up when Teddy was putting his head down to his knees. Was he having a heart attack maybe? It also could just be him saying it in anguish because of his son. It just struck me.

I believe it was from Olivier.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I would love to know if passages like the ones shown were a real thing in buildings of that era.  I could imagine so, for access to pipes, electric, heating vents, stuff like that.  Though I would have to think they'd be a lot dirtier, and more critters (ew) than what we saw.  As for tenants discovering them while remodeling, those are probably considered load bearing walls, so they could easily be off limits for demolition.

My mind went towards the Underground Railroad, but perhaps more likely is Charles' idea in this episode that

• "These must have been used during Prohibition for moving contraband."

In the same bit of dialog: 

• [CHARLES TO LUCY] How do you know about these?
  • [LUCY] I used to play hide and seek with Anaya from across the hall.
  • [CHARLES] Oh, right. You two got competitive.

--which tells us that Lucy was very familiar with the passages, and also name drops a possibly relevant neighbor, "Anaya."
Have we heard the name "Anaya" before? And what is the significance of Lucy and Anaya being "very competitive"?

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Have we heard the name "Anaya" before? And what is the significance of Lucy and Anaya being "very competitive"?

Anaya was the daughter of the guy in Season 1 that said that the smell of Charles' omelettes reminded him of Lucy. He also said that his daughter was still kept in touch with Lucy.

• Useful 8
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

Right.  She said she didn't want some random guy's balls on her wall.

• Love 1

I started rewatching this episode in hopes of seeing Nina's baby daddy's character/actor name in the onscreen credits.I paused half way through because real life stuff,
but wow.
This episode deserves all the Emmys, Golden Globes, PrimeTimer Awards, etc. etc.

But can someone remind me what exactly was Oliver's role in Teddy going to prison that makes Teddy so focused on screwing Oliver rather than the others? 

*Looking at IMDb (imdb.com/title/tt19407726), is actor David T. Patterson as Jared McGregor Nina's baby daddy? Or is it someone else?

• Love 1

shapeshifter,

Oliver was the one who convinced Teddy to fund the podcast in the first place with his deli. Once they did that - and spent his money - they meddled and found out about his illegal activities and got him and his son arrested.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I'd be fine if the Dimas' were the culprits here. They clearly have motive. I don't think the guy in the hall was Teddy because he wasn't big enough, and I don't think Theo would have heard Lucy though. 

Nina's babydaddy could be the culprit and just not told her too. I figure we have to have seen everyone involved by now. 

I was hoping Lucy would stick around, but clearly, she's got to return.

The whole album was hilarious, but the icing was that Charles is pulling $200K/year from rappers sampling the song. Oliver's loss of breath was a brilliant reaction. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Oh, and about the building design drawing in Nina's apartment...  was I the only one thinking it looked like a giant Chipotle burrito sitting on top of the building?  😁

• LOL 17
(edited)

From a TV show point of view, I thought it was suspect that Mabel came in saying something about "hot goss," then Charles repeated it, and then, a few minutes later, Howard barged into Charles' apartment talking about "hot goss." Can he hear them talking and/or does he eavesdrop? And he's still clearly upset about Evelyn; I posted in the speculation thread about him a few days ago, but I think he put the note on Jan's door after figuring out she indirectly killed Evelyn when she killed Tim, and I think he has something to do with Bunny's death...or the framing of her murder.

I'm much older than Mabel and much much older than Lucy and didn't think anything Lucy said was hard to understand or put together. I don't see how Mabel would be so lost, unless she was just completely creeped out by everything Lucy was saying about Mabel's life being dissected, being diagnosed, and needing benzos. That whole exchange fell really flat for me.

Nina's idea to build whatever that was on top of the Arconia is flat out ridiculous. I figured she'd was wanting to put some restaurants, shops, or a gym in the building.

I'm wondering if the secret passages relate to the therapist complaining to Lester about weird scraping/dragging/shoveling sounds last season (in the Theo-centric episode).

When Oliver was using the ladder to go spy on the Dimases, it sounded like the secret elevator was running. Lucy said the ladder was right by the secret A-line elevator (i.e., Bunny's elevator), so... Who's using it?

Edited by dovegrey
missing words
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, dovegrey said:

From a TV show point of view, I thought it was suspect that Mabel came in saying something about "hot goss," then Charles repeated it, and then, a few minutes later, Howard barged into Charles' apartment talking about "hot goss." Can he hear them talking and/or does he eavesdrop? And he's still clearly upset about Evelyn; I posted in the speculation thread about him a few days ago, but I think he put the note on Jan's door after figuring out she indirectly killed Evelyn when she killed Tim, and I think he has something to do with Bunny's death...or the framing of her murder.

I'm much older than Mabel and much much older than Lucy and didn't think anything Lucy said was hard to understand or put together. I don't see how Mabel would be so lost, unless she was just completely creeped out by everything Lucy was saying about Mabel's life being dissected, being diagnosed, and needing benzos. That whole exchange fell really flat for me.

I think Mabel said "hot goss" because that was how Howard phrased it to her. She was saying he was on his way to share some "hot goss" and I thought she said it like she was putting air quotes on it. I don't think it's something she would regularly use. 

You're doing better than me if you understood Lucy talking about the top 100 and the mental health Tik Tok channel. 🤣

Edited by cardigirl
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, cardigirl said:

I think Mabel said "hot goss" because that was how Howard phrased it to her. She was saying he was on his way to share some "hot goss" and I thought she said it like she was putting air quotes on it. 

You're doing better than me if you understood Lucy talking about the top 100 and the mental health Tik Tok channel. 🤣

I totally missed that she was referring to Howard when she said that LOL. I can put together slang using context but I apparently have a hard time processing Mabel’s stuffed-up line delivery. Nevermind me. 😅

I still think Howard is stuck on Evelyn being the REAL murder victim last year (my speculation). And I can almost see him poisoning Winnie to make a point about it.

• Sad 1
On 7/12/2022 at 2:53 AM, shapeshifter said:
On 7/11/2022 at 10:54 PM, sjankis630 said:

I thought it looked a bit like Theo for whatever reason 

I agree that the person in the mask did look like Theo around the eyes?

When Lucy was hiding I thought he was going to find her because she was breathing so hard.  But if you're deaf....

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, chaifan said:

8 years seems to be a lot of time for Charles to still be pining over that relationship and loss of Lucy.  Occasional thoughts, sure.  But still making omelets on a regular basis?  That's a bit weird and obsessive.  In season 1 I thought that breakup had been not as far in the past, like only a year or two. 

Makes sense to me, since I don't think he was obsessing over her specifically but the loss of a family/child. Her mother sounds pretty terrible that she would do that to her. Like once she's done with the guy she doesn't care how Lucy feels about it.

Lucy's got to come back because she's obviously got a lot of issues going on with her mother even besides not talking about the night she was there.

Totally agree her casting was great. This season in general has been really tight the way it's bringing people in. Even in this ep despite there being multiple people all over the place, it didn't feel like it was going in different directions. The parent/child theme was strong enough to hold it together really well and I believed every single relationship we saw and heard about--and cared about all of them. 

Last season I was confused by the Lucy timeline, but I guess she's a teenager now, so maybe when Charles' described her as 7 or 6 that's how old she was when he last saw her? How would her timeline work now? I was confused before because it seemed like he was describing getting cartoon characters for a 13 year old, leading to the idea that she was maybe developmentally delayed. But clearly not.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Last season I was confused by the Lucy timeline, but I guess she's a teenager now, so maybe when Charles' described her as 7 or 6 that's how old she was when he last saw her? How would her timeline work now? I was confused before because it seemed like he was describing getting cartoon characters for a 13 year old, leading to the idea that she was maybe developmentally delayed. But clearly not.

I caught that, too. Lucy talked about wishing it was Charles taking her on college visits in this episode (present tense), which, in my non-NY area, usually starts junior year of high school. I've only watched this episode once and could have missed something, but I overall took her as being around 15-17 currently, which would mean she would have been somewhere around 7-9 years old when she lived with Charles 8 years ago. But, in 1x4, Charles said Lucy was 7-years-old when Emma (the ex) moved in, and he also said he and Emma were together for 6 years. The only way I can think to get around Lucy's current age is that Charles and Emma dated for a while before Emma/Lucy moved in (which would mean that Charles knew Lucy when Lucy was an infant/toddler), and they didn't live together for more than a year or so before Emma took off with Lucy during the family fun cruise.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

co-signing the calls for people to stop talking so loudly (especially in an echo-y passageway, when they are spying on someone through a vent), because it bugs me with every show/movie that does it.  If you can hear them, they can hear you!  Do you NEED more trouble?  

That's a particular pet peeve of mine. There's not such thing as a stage whisper on TV. It's absurd Nina and her husband couldn't hear them talking right up against the vent like that.

The whole album was hilarious, but the icing was that Charles is pulling $200K/year from rappers sampling the song.

I didn't quite catch this joke; maybe because I know nothing about rap. What does it mean to say rappers are "sampling" the song, and why did Mabel think it sounded familiar? 

(edited)
28 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't quite catch this joke; maybe because I know nothing about rap. What does it mean to say rappers are "sampling" the song, and why did Mabel think it sounded familiar? 

Vanilla Ice is sampling Under Pressure by Queen & David Bowie...

Edited by paigow
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
45 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

iMonrey,

Throughout the history of rap music a lot of non rap music has been sampled. They take a small portion of say a drum break from an older song - in this case James Brown's Funky Drummer - and insert it into their own rap song. Usually they did this without paying and sometimes sneakily.

The original song is James Brown Funky Drummer - fast forward to the section at 5:35 for the drum break.

Then here is Public Enemy - a famous rap group from the late 80s into the early 90s using the drum break from above in the beginning of their song Rebel Without a Pause. The part starts at the 11 second mark.

This apparently went on for a while and then after these rap songs became hits the original song writers sued for back royalties from the songs that they originally wrote.

Mabel likely listened to modern rap and had heard parts of Charles's melody in the rap song.

Paigow - I just now saw that you had provided another example before me. Lol. 

Edited by sjankis630
updated because paigow had already beaten me to the punch.
  • Useful 1