Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Part VI

• Start Topic

(edited)

I really loved this final episode. I wish the series itself was longer but I loved what we got. Seeing Obi-Wan be 100% strong again was awesome, he just owned Anakin. Watching the helmet get split, realizing that's where that scar comes from, awesome. I will miss little Leia. Her typical 10-year old reaction, running past Obi-Wan to get to Lola, was so cute. Understanding Ben's "a certain point of view", with regards to Darth Vader killing Anakin a little better. Same can be said that Anakin killed Darth Vader in RotJ when he saved Luke from the emperor. So nice to Hayden getting the love from the fans. This series actually has me wanting to re-watch Attack of the Clones. Loved hearing the Imperial March at last, and finally seeing QuiGon. Liam Neeson looked like he was enjoying himself in his all too brief scene.

Edited by jah1986
Correct her to his
  • Love 11

I really liked it - plot holes and all.  I may have gotten teary-eyed when little Leia put on the boots and the white outfit, complete with holster.  (And did Obi-Wan really go all the way to Alderaan just to give Lola back?)

HC did do a great job in this episode. I could feel Anakin's emotions radiating through that one eye.  Still not a fan of Darth Vader's arc but they did a better job here than in the movies. I rewatched his 2 prequel movies last month, so his performance was still fresh in my mind. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, tessaray said:

And did Obi-Wan really go all the way to Alderaan just to give Lola back?)

He did, but since it was evidently Haja and Roken who eventually returned Leia to Alderaan rather than Obi-Wan, who was occupied elsewhere, it was also an excuse to see Leia again, to keep his promise to her that he would come back, to allow each of them the reassurance of seeing the other safe and well after all their adventures, and to say a proper goodbye.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Grimnar said:

Probably best episode of the series but with quality of previous episodes it isn't great achievement.

Obi-Wan and Vader duel was good. Changing voice from James Earl Jones' voice to Hayden's was great. But doesn't make sense that Obi-Wan can't kill Vader(Vader even gave Obi-Wan confirmation that "Anakin is dead" and Obi-Wan doesn't have to feel guilty that Anakin turned to dark side) but later he is pretty much forcing Luke to just kill his father. And since when Vader's cloak can stop lightsaber?

Reva is still meh as character for me and her "redemption" feels cheap. As inquisitor she always used violence even when other inquisitors were like like "chill, this can be deal in peaceful way". And 2 episodes ago she wanted torture children, so it is little hard for me to believe in her return from dark side.

Still several wtf moments in this episode. When Rorken build new ship with working hyperdrive, when in previous episode they had 2 ships and one was destroyed by Vader? I assume also that after this episode Empire put on destroyers TIE Fighters because for some reason destroyer has problem to catch/destroy old, barely functioning ship. Where was Bail when he said that he will travel to Tatooine? And really no one put agents to watch Bail when now everyone should know that at moment that Leia is kidnapped, Obi-Wan will reappear, rescue her, travel with her for some time and Vader is like we are searching for him and then he is like, nah I don't care about Obi-Wan.

Overall this series was for me just barely ok as whole. Ewan McGregor has probably issues with back as he had to carry this show(Hayden, Indira Varma, Leia's actress were also good). Series had good potential but feels rushed, kind of cheap settings(in comprasion with Mandalorian where Mando feels like lived universe) and worst of all weak writting. To me it seems like you had to shut your brain half of the time so you will not see the wtf moments, plot holes, etc.

I think now that biggest problem for Star Wars that writting is of very low quality so I hope that this will improve in future.

This one post sums up my thoughts on the series as a whole.

20 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Ewan brought it for the entire series, both acting and for the fight scenes. He looked pretty good during the duel for an "old man". 

Ewan McGregor was the best thing about the entire series. But we already knew that, since his acting was one of the better acting performances in the entire PT.

17 hours ago, benteen said:

Welcome back, Qui-Gon! And Palpatine too.

Yes indeed!

Honestly, Force Anakin not being in the sequel trilogy was an inexplicable omission. You have the grandson of Anakin Skywalker who has turned to the dark side and is obsessed with finishing what Darth Vader started. How the hell doesn't the Ghost of Anakin not visit him and try to smack some sense in him?

OMG - how DENSE am I?!?!?!  It never once occurred to me that Force Anakin should indeed have appeared in the ST since he, out of anyone knows best the dark path Ben/Kylo Ren was travelling so could impart his experience/advice.  Wow, wow, wow - can't believe this never occurred to me until I read this post.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, Llywela said:

He did, but since it was evidently Haja and Roken who eventually returned Leia to Alderaan rather than Obi-Wan, who was occupied elsewhere, it was also an excuse to see Leia again, to keep his promise to her that he would come back, to allow each of them the reassurance of seeing the other safe and well after all their adventures, and to say a proper goodbye.

I suppose I should have said that the scene felt oddly abrupt. A few more lines of dialog might have fleshed it out a bit.

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Reva was a lot of things, but she wasn't dumb. I figured she put two and two together and realized the 'boy' was of value so much so that a senator was communicating to Kenobi about it. I mean, that seems enough. You can't have Reva gallivanting around the galaxy knowing that Vader has a son. For all she knew he was Kenobi's son being raised with a family because he was in exile. 

yes, she knows obi-wan was sent to retrieve leia, and that he is seemingly involved with the path.  luke being named in the message makes him a high priority target, but does't name him as being vader's child.  there are bound to be high ranking orphans hidden through out the galaxy; little grogu for example.

we know about anakin, padme, luke, and leia because we have insider information.  with in the star wars universe only 7 people knew about them.  of those 7, 4, padme, obi-wan, bail, and yoda know anakin's children are alive.  the 3 others,  vader, palpatine, and officiant,  believe anakin's child (because they know she is pregnant but not that it was twins) died with padme.   other than 4 beings, only droids were in attendance and in the medical centre the droids and c3p0's memories were either wiped or altered.

• Love 4

Well, I loved it. The plot was iffy at points, but all the feels were spot-on. That Obi-Wan/Anakin fight hit so hard, and I'll echo everyone who praised the decision to use both Hayden and JEJ's voices. I also loved Obi-Wan drawing on his love for Leia and Luke to find the strength to repel those rocks and get out of that pit.

But yes, as soon as Anakin threw down down that pit, I was mentally hearing Darth Vader's voice shouting, "Who has the high ground now, bitch?!?"

Leia giving Obi-Wan Lola was everything, as was Obi-Wan coming to Alderaan to give her back and tell Leia how she reminds him of her parents. :tears: And how great did Leia look in that white outfit with the holster (that Obi-Wan refused to give her a blaster for, lol)?

The resolution on Reva's arc featured some shaky writing, but Moses Ingram sold the hell out of it. She plays the character with this interesting mix of rage and sheer exhaustion--she's been clinging to her revenge so hard for so many years, it's like there's hardly anything else left of her.

• Like 2
  • Love 8

Regarding whether Reva went after Luke because of Vader or Obi-Wan: 

When Owen asked her why she was "doing this", she answered "Justice". And when she returned Luke, she sobbed saying "I couldn't do it. I failed them. He killed them all, and I couldn't do it." To me that sounds like this was about Vader rather than Obi-Wan. I guess Reva's motivation will have to be left up to individual interpretation until/if the show runners say something. 

I also think the writers left themselves a bit of an opening for a second season when Obi-Wan told Bail that "if you ever need my help again, you know where to find me." Obviously, 9 years later Bail would take him up on that offer, but it's also possible that sometime between this show and ANH Bail needs Obi-Wan's help for some other reason. I just hope it's not another kidnapping of Leia because as much as I enjoyed the Obi-Wan/Leia adventures, a second go-round would be too much. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
45 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

I also think the writers left themselves a bit of an opening for a second season when Obi-Wan told Bail that "if you ever need my help again, you know where to find me." Obviously, 9 years later Bail would take him up on that offer, but it's also possible that sometime between this show and ANH Bail needs Obi-Wan's help for some other reason. I just hope it's not another kidnapping of Leia because as much as I enjoyed the Obi-Wan/Leia adventures, a second go-round would be too much. 

This could work. How am I picturing a second season: Bail uses an official government trip as a cover for some Resistance/anti-Empire activity and needs Obi-Wan's help for a part of it. There are also scenes of Leia back on Alderaan. I have no idea what her plotline would be.   

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

There are also scenes of Leia back on Alderaan. I have no idea what her plotline would be.

By 15 she was part of the Rebel alliance and delivering ships to the Rebels on Lothal.  Most Obi-Wan ahead a couple of years and you could have her going on a mission for the alliance.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/22/2022 at 4:20 AM, paigow said:

Everyone that died from Rogue One onwards can blame Kenobi... twice  

There are surely a lot of people who suffered because Vader was around, but I don't think Vader dying at this point would have made that much difference in the Emperor's plans. Vader wasn't a huge fan of the Death Star, so it probably still would have been built and still would have blown up Alderaan. There were a few rebels in Rogue One who were directly killed by Vader, but the Rogue One mission probably wouldn't have been significantly altered. Vader was the Emperor's thug. That's part of what's sad about his story. He sold his soul to serve the Emperor but didn't have true power. He was just a useful idiot. Without him, the Emperor just grabs one of the Inquisitors to be his Second Sith and carries on. So it's possible that things could have been even worse if Kenobi had killed Vader here. Vader was ultimately able to be reached and turned on the Emperor, and they did have leverage on Vader with his kids. Would his likely replacement have had a similar vulnerability that would have given them a chance to take out the Emperor?

On 6/22/2022 at 7:44 AM, raven said:

Reva magically appearing on Tatooine took me out of that section.  I guess I don't need to see her dragging herself to some ship or whatever, but it was abrupt.

That's been a longstanding quirk of the Star Wars universe -- transportation at the speed of plot. She managed to drag herself to a ship (and why was a ship conveniently left behind?) and fly to another system and go around asking about Owen before a Star Destroyer could catch up to a damaged fleeing ship. It's like Lando and Chewie managing to fly all over the galaxy to send the call to arms in just a few hours in The Rise of Skywalker, or Kenobi sensing Luke's danger and getting Tatooine while he's still missing. But if we need a shipboard scene, it can take hours to get somewhere.

But nitpicks aside, I really enjoyed this. It felt like old-school Star Wars. We had a Star Destroyer chasing a smaller rebel ship, an epic lightsaber battle between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Lars homestead, and all those music cues and callbacks.

The merging of the two voices for Vader and them cutting in and out was quite effective. Ewan McGregor seemed to be having so much fun with all of this (but that's something I enjoy about him as an actor--he throws himself in head-first in every role and seems to be truly enjoying himself). I was also impressed with Moses Ingram and Reva's total transformation. She suddenly looked decades younger once the vulnerability hit and she realized what she'd become. I thought she pretty much stole Macbeth in just a few scenes, and it was nice for them to give her something meaty in the past couple of episodes.

I'd be up for another season. It would be nice to think that since he's decided Luke needs to be just a boy and doesn't need him there to watch over him that Kenobi will go off and have some other adventures before coming back to Tatooine. It might be interesting to see what brings him back. He mentioned in the original movie that he tried to give Luke his father's lightsaber, so there's that still to come.

Now I want to rewatch the first movie because this has added a lot of layers to it.

• Like 2
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

When Owen asked her why she was "doing this", she answered "Justice". And when she returned Luke, she sobbed saying "I couldn't do it. I failed them. He killed them all, and I couldn't do it." To me that sounds like this was about Vader rather than Obi-Wan. I guess Reva's motivation will have to be left up to individual interpretation until/if the show runners say something

I don’t think it’s much of a stretch that Reva figured out Luke’s paternity; if she found his last name was Skywalker, she probably put two and two together. Either that, or her force senses clued her in, same way Luke was able to figure out Leia was his sister without Force Ghost Obi-Wan even telling her name. In any case, any child of Vader would automatically be a threat in her eyes, and if she could beat him, she could at least make sure there wouldn’t be ANOTHER him. But as we saw, she couldn’t kill being herself to kill a defenseless child. Doesn’t make up for all the other people she helped hunt, but still 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Inquisitor: Lord Vader, shall I activate Tractor Beam?

Vader: NoThat would shorten this chase excessively and require additional scenes of Owen failing to kill a stationary enemy ...

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don’t think it’s much of a stretch that Reva figured out Luke’s paternity; if she found his last name was Skywalker, she probably put two and two together. Either that, or her force senses clued her in, same way Luke was able to figure out Leia was his sister without Force Ghost Obi-Wan even telling her name. In any case, any child of Vader would automatically be a threat in her eyes, and if she could beat him, she could at least make sure there wouldn’t be ANOTHER him. But as we saw, she couldn’t kill being herself to kill a defenseless child. Doesn’t make up for all the other people she helped hunt, but still 🤷‍♀️ 

Of course, facepalm!  Reva is in on the anakin to Vader secret.  Yep, even if she didn’t know when she was on the way to tatooine, she would know after hearing his last name.

so now we have at least 6 beings that know that Vader has a son.  I’m figuring that obi wan didn’t tell Owen and beru about leia. And 4? That know leia is his daughter.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Do we know that Luke is called Skywalker openly at this time? Where would she have heard his last name?

Who are the four that know Leia is his daughter? 

Maybe I'm not paying attention enough but I also feel the show isn't clear enough with all this.

Or I'm just confused between the things I know and the things the characters know.

(edited)
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Obi Wan, Bail, Yoda, and presumably Breha. Although Bail's message referred to "the children" and it's widely known that Leia is adopted, so if Reva can jump to conclusions about Luke, it's easy to conclude who Leia's birth father is too.

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 1
(edited)

That fight was absolutely awesome, the best light saber fight we have gotten in years in the Star Wars franchise! Obi-Wan really has come a long way even in this short series from the man who was hiding in the desert still in a deep depression from everything that happened. Obi-Wan just wailing on Vader with rocks was so great, then their confrontation was possibly the highlight of the show. I don't know if it was his intention, but Vader did I think absolve Obi-Wan of at least a bit of his guilt over what happened to Anakin. Anakin made his choices, Obi-Wan tried his best with him, things just went a direction he could have never seen coming. 

I'm glad I wasn't the only one expecting a very petty "who has the high ground now?" from Vader.

Even if it was just for a minute, it was great finally seeing Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon again. I knew it was coming and I still cheered, that's how much this show has managed to get me invested. I know so much of what is going to happen, but I still got so caught up in the story that I just felt along with the ride. I feel like this was a story that didn't conflict with previous continuity like some prequels, but added a lot more layers to what we already have.

I got hit with some real feels when Obi-Wan said goodbye to little Leia and she wore her cute little outfit. Despite the shows flaws, I really enjoyed it, it was a really nice addition to the SW cannon with a great cast and a nice mix of action, drama, and some of the light hearted adventure that made us love SW in the first place. This really felt very old school Star Wars to me, and not even only because of all the connections to both the original and prequel trilogies. It had a real sense of excitement along with very intense emotions, with lots of high drama mixed with laughs and adventure. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Applause 1
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, supposebly said:

Do we know that Luke is called Skywalker openly at this time? Where would she have heard his last name?

Maybe I'm not paying attention enough but I also feel the show isn't clear enough with all this.

Or I'm just confused between the things I know and the things the characters know.

the water seller that reva questioned would know that luke is his nephew.  and that owen had a stepmother who had a son. anakin had visited the homestead.    reva would have used the force to get into the water seller's mind and found that info.  

that would be the point that she would put anakin skywalker and luke skywalker together, as she knows anakin = vader.  i don't believe she would know about padme through.

the water seller then warned owen.

i'm not sure how much bail would tell his wife about leia's parents...he would have had to tell her something when he brought leia home.  he could have told her everything, just a bit of things, or that she was an unknow orphan.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, bigseach said:

the water seller that reva questioned would know that luke is his nephew.  and that owen had a stepmother who had a son. anakin had visited the homestead.    reva would have used the force to get into the water seller's mind and found that info.  

that would be the point that she would put anakin skywalker and luke skywalker together, as she knows anakin = vader.  i don't believe she would know about padme through.

the water seller then warned owen.

i'm not sure how much bail would tell his wife about leia's parents...he would have had to tell her something when he brought leia home.  he could have told her everything, just a bit of things, or that she was an unknow orphan.

I agree on this. My only question is why she went after them to begin with?  So for me it has to be, she started out going after the boy because he was important to Obi-Wan (who used and left her). Then hearing Skywalker and figuring out she can get revenge on Anakin that way. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Without him, the Emperor just grabs one of the Inquisitors to be his Second Sith and carries on.

More likely, he just goes through a whole string of them, pitting them against one another until one rises up, and repeat. Palpatine got to Anakin when he was still fairly impressionable; he knows Vader is strong enough to cast any wannabe Sith aside and not smart enough to start thinking of his own apprentice until really after ANH. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

More likely, he just goes through a whole string of them, pitting them against one another until one rises up, and repeat.

Which would probably have had a worse outcome for the general population than with Vader staying alive because they would probably try to out-cruel each other in order to curry favor and rise in the ranks -- unless, perhaps, they were too focused on destroying each other to destroy anyone else. But I wonder if this had some part in Obi-Wan's decision not to kill Vader here. Better the devil you know than the unknown that might try to replace him, and although he seems to have given up on the idea that there's any Anakin left, at the same time the very fact that Vaderkin made the effort to give him some kind of absolution suggests that there is some Anakin left. You'd think pure Vader would have reveled in letting him spend the rest of his life eaten with guilt for his failure.

Though, truly, the surest sign that Anakin was still in there would have been some "You did this to me! You never really supported me!" whining.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, bigseach said:

But why would she ask about Owen's nephew and his stepmother? She was looking for Jedi. Why would the water seller even know about Anakin visiting? 

I think it's a stretch to think she figured this out. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

Though, truly, the surest sign that Anakin was still in there would have been some "You did this to me! You never really supported me!" whining.

He did pull the 'I am what you made me' in Round 1.
If 'I killed Anakin Skywalker' is some sort of absolution, then Kenobi leaving him there sort of gives Anakin time to fight another day. It still jibes with 'Darth Vader is evil and so on' in ANH because he's understanding that mental split. 

Also makes him a lot more manipulative of Luke just sending him in there to figure it out on his own. Or a ton of faith in him. 

1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

Which would probably have had a worse outcome for the general population than with Vader staying alive because they would probably try to out-cruel each other in order to curry favor and rise in the ranks -- unless, perhaps, they were too focused on destroying each other to destroy anyone else.

Just taking this series, it seems the first. Reva threw a knife at the barkeep to out the Jedi. What if he wasn't there? She orchestrated the kidnapping to curry favor with Vader, and she had an ulterior motive. No doubt they'd be even more demonstrative with a weaker Sith to curry favor with the Emperor. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 1
(edited)

Leia sure changed quickly from an independent, “I can fix this” scamp to scared 10 year old.

Using The Force in front of lots of witnesses is not particularly smart, Zombie Reva. Though you do seem to be the only person to have thought of looking for Luke’s family.

A star destroyer takes that long to capture a severely out gunned and out everything else, damaged ship?

“It’s about you and him.” Well, it wasn’t until he started chasing me. Now that he is, and is on the tail of our damaged ship, yeah, it is about me and him, I guess.

And for some reason, Obi-Wan regains his light saber skills. After a season of doubt. Has he been practicing?

Also, if these Jedi spent less time throwing rocks at each other, and put more time into, you know, stabbing with light sabers, these fights would be shorter.

Is Luke dead? Oh no! Wait, we already know he can’t be dead. So… what are we watching?

By giving who peace, she honored them? Reva’s part is confusing. Who did she fail? The guy who stabbed her? Her entire role was just unnecessary. Unless they need her for a spin off.

The emperor is a dick.

Like so much of this series, a lot of fan service.

They didn’t screw up Vader, though. Thankfully. 

Edited by Ottis
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I got hit with some real feels when Obi-Wan said goodbye to little Leia and she wore her cute little outfit. Despite the shows flaws, I really enjoyed it, it was a really nice addition to the SW cannon with a great cast and a nice mix of action, drama, and some of the light hearted adventure that made us love SW in the first place. This really felt very old school Star Wars to me, and not even only because of all the connections to both the original and prequel trilogies. It had a real sense of excitement along with very intense emotions, with lots of high drama mixed with laughs and adventure. 

What I think was really quite cool is that even though I knew all the characters I loved were going to live, they some how still made me nervous and on edge while watching.  I kept telling myself 'they live, relax' 😄. They really did deliver.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, supposebly said:

But why would she ask about Owen's nephew and his stepmother? She was looking for Jedi. Why would the water seller even know about Anakin visiting? 

Bail's second message to Obi-Wan . . . the one that Reva had stumbled across near the end of Episode 5.

I really enjoyed this series.  In fact, it is my favorite of the Star Wars DisneyPlus productions, so far.  And it was interesting to watch Obi-Wan’s journey out of his PTSD over the Jedi and Anakin’s fall.  But what I found even more interesting was Obi-Wan’s failure to learn a lesson from Reva’s redemption.  Despite what he had witnessed with her, Obi-Wan is destined never to rise above his absolutism until sometime after his physical death. At this point, he is probably even more certain that Anakin is not the Chosen One and will never reject evil, as Reva had done. He won’t consider the possibility that Anakin could do the same in some unforeseen future. Great Jedi or not, it’s not surprising to me that he had proven to be a poor mentor.

• Love 2

The acting and production values really saved this show, but the writing was horrible. Nothing ever made any sense. 

I feel for the actress getting social media hate, but Reva was an overly complicated, unnecessary character. I don't understand her motivations, and I don't understand why the show expected me to care about her. 

I also wish writers would let Vader be a scary, capable villain. Anakin was not an idiot. Darth Vader doesn't need to be one. Why not let the plot be a straightforward thing where Vader sets up the kidnapping of Leia to flush Obi-Wan out of hiding? It's unclear why either Vader or Reva would think Leia's kidnapping would flush Obi-Wan out, but Vader at least knows that Obi-Wan and Bail Organa were close in the pre-Empire days.

But I still enjoyed it because the acting was so good. Little Leia alone was worth it, but Ewan Macgregor was obviously amazing. I've always thought Hayden Christensen's prequel performance is underrated (he played the Anakin he was given... it just wasn't the Anakin we wanted. not his fault!).  So I'm glad to see him get love here.

• Love 1

I love this episode.

The fight between Obi Wan and Vader was awesome! Vader started out kicking his butt but then Obi Wan finally got his mojo back and kicked his ass. He really threw Vader off by fighting so differently when he hit back. Just like with Maul. It was so awesome. I liked him thinking about the future that got him finally to put the past in the past. I like Obi Wan apologizing for everything and Vader telling him it wasn't his fault. Vader was the one who killed Anakin. It was such a good scene. 

I think Reva and Obi Wan telaported to Tatooine. They both got there really fast. I liked the guy went and warned Owen. I didn't like Beru not wanting to leave. Their going up a Force user. I'd much rather her show up at the farm to if they wanted to have Owen and Beru fight her. It would make more sense then not fleeing. I really wanted Owen and Beru to win or at least injure her. They put up a good fight but in the end no match for Reva and it left Luke on his own with Reva. Luckily for them she realized she didn't want to kill a kid. Her realizing she was turning into Vader when she's about to kill a kid makes sense. I also liked Beru pointing out Owen was the reason Obi Wan wasn't there to help. I loved Owen saying Luke was his.

I love Leia and hope we get a series with her.

That would be so much fun. Her scenes with Obi Wan were so good. I've always wanted a Leia series. It would be fun watching her join the rebellion going on missions and stuff. I liked him telling her what she got from both her parents'.  She and Luke both have traits from both of their parents'. I love Leia's "new" outfit and that her mother liked it too. I love how disappointed she was that Obi Wan didn't give her a blaster. Of course she was. Also that she ran to Lola first instead of Obi Wan. I love her relationship with her parents.

I liked the scene between Obi Wan and Owen. Obi Wan agreeing to back off and let Luke be a kid. Luke has to choose to be a Jedi. Owen letting him meet Luke. Loved we finally got to see Qui-Gon. I'm surprised he was there the whole time but Obi Wan wasn't ready to see him. I thought he stayed away because he knew Obi Wan wasn't ready. He was still too wrapped up in the past. Now he was finally ready. 

I like the scene between Vader and Palpatine. Vader's ranting and all Palpatine says he seems agitated. Then gets Vader to drop the search for Obi Wan.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I love Leia and hope we get a series with her.

That would be so much fun. Her scenes with Obi Wan were so good. I've always wanted a Leia series. It would be fun watching her join the rebellion going on missions and stuff. I liked him telling her what she got from both her parents'.  She and Luke both have traits from both of their parents'. I love Leia's "new" outfit and that her mother liked it too. I love how disappointed she was that Obi Wan didn't give her a blaster. Of course she was. Also that she ran to Lola first instead of Obi Wan. I love her relationship with her parents.

I wonder if there's any chance of getting a teenage Leia in Andor. Not necessarily interacting with Cassian, because he didn't strike me as the type who got to rub elbows with princesses, but maybe on Mon Mothma's side of things? But yes, her own series would be great too.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It would be fun watching her join the rebellion going on missions and stuff. I liked him telling her what she got from both her parents'.  She and Luke both have traits from both of their parents'. I love Leia's "new" outfit and that her mother liked it too. I love how disappointed she was that Obi Wan didn't give her a blaster. Of course she was. Also that she ran to Lola first instead of Obi Wan. I love her relationship with her parents.

This is the series that I want too. Show us little Leia seeing everything going on around her and becoming more aware of the outside world. Show us young teenage Leia getting involved in the Resistance. I want to see more of the relationship between Leia and her parents, especially Bail. There is no question in my mind he was the one who taught her how to use a blaster. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

The line besides "I'm sorry Anakin, for all of it." that had me tearing up the most was "He is my own."

I get the gripes some people had about some aspects about the show of the but despite the flaws the good far out weighed the bad for me. The show had the emotional points I wanted and gave me some I didn't expect. Ewan really gave it his all.  A satisfying conclusion and I even wouldn't mind another season.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Lotta leaving people to die when they're not that close to dying in this episode. Esp with Obi-Wan and Vader, that's a consequence of being a prequel story that can't disrupt canon.

My personal taste, I don't like the Alderaan city here. It's too cohesively designed. It ends up feeling too much of a piece, like a planned development, but at city scale. This is broadly true of almost every sci-fi thing, TBH, but it's a pet peeve of mine when fictional sci-fi cities appear to have been built all at once, designed with a singular architectural theme.

Wait, Obi-Wan came all the way to Alderaan to stay for five minutes??????? The Organas didn't even invite him to stay for dinner???

BTW, when Obi sensed something was happening on Tatooine from literally light years away, come on. I know the Force doesn't need to be constrained by the speed of light, but still, I can't really let this go even if I know by the rules of this franchise that the speed of light doesn't matter at all.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:40 PM, Grimnar said:

Reva is still meh as character for me and her "redemption" feels cheap. As inquisitor she always used violence even when other inquisitors were like like "chill, this can be deal in peaceful way". And 2 episodes ago she wanted torture children, so it is little hard for me to believe in her return from dark side.

She and the other inquisitors definitely killed that Jedi dude in the first episode of this series. Her redemption definitely feels unearned if all it took was not killing some more, rather than some atonement or restitution for all the killing she did do.

On 6/22/2022 at 3:53 PM, ybrik said:

Liked that we finally saw someone go after Vader’s chest panel.

Throwing rocks is fine, but Obi-Wan shoulda just Force-pulled the cyborg life support systems out of Vader's armor. Ah well.

• Love 1

Like almost everyone here, I'm a huge fan of Star Wars and have watched all the theatrical movies.  Star Wars was part of my childhood, and I have memories of the original trilogy and going to the theater.  But I've never watched/read Clone Wars, the animated stuff, graphic novels, books, fan forums, etc.  So just for me to remember the timeline of where all these stories fit, what happened when, who knows what, etc., is difficult when we're talking remembering events from the past 45 years.  So I'm not as much of a (and I say this nicely) Stars War geek than some here.

So yes, while there's always going to be critique, much like there was with Mando and Boba Fett, I still enjoy anything Star Wars.  Of the three Disney series releases, I was most excited about this one since it obviously brings back Obi Wan, Leia, and Vader.  While there are some obvious major story flaws (Obi Wan and Leia sort of forget they hung out before when New Hope comes along?), I love that they are able to incorporate storylines/plot devices while remaining within the fixed framework of the original story.  Some would say this is one of the major flaws of this series - we never were concerned for Obi Wan getting killed by Vader, nor Owen and Luke being hunted by Reva... because obviously these characters cannot die.  But it's fun to see even the tiniest of details being worked in, such as Obi Wan giving the child Luke the toy spaceship that he ends up playing with in New Hope.  That's fun to see.

I think if there is another series, that will be fun to see even more adventures  with Leia and clashes with Vader.  But it would also raise more questions - why didn't they say this in the the original trilogy, that couldn't have happened because ...., etc.  I feel like at this point it's almost better left alone and just let us deal with 10 years of living as a hermit.  But as a fan, I still want to see it and hope it happens!

• Love 4
On 6/24/2022 at 1:11 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I agree on this. My only question is why she went after them to begin with?  So for me it has to be, she started out going after the boy because he was important to Obi-Wan (who used and left her). Then hearing Skywalker and figuring out she can get revenge on Anakin that way. 

She heard “if he’s found you, if he’s learned of the children, I’ll head to tatooine. Owen wi… help the boy” she would know he was hiding younglings and one was on tatooine. I agree she went to strike at obi wan first, then figured out Skywalker.

On 6/24/2022 at 4:58 PM, supposebly said:

When owen and Luke are in the parts store the man says “your uncle’s a patient man”. Luke is known as his nephew, and his last name is Skywalker.  The rest of the family stuff would have been talked about in a small village and somewhat common knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

This series really stuck the landing for me.  And it was so satisfying after the crap the previous trilogy turned out to be.  I really love The Mandalorian, but this series deals with the original Star Wars characters.   And it was lovely to see their stories handled with the care they deserve.  

One of my favorite moments happened during this episode when Leia explained that Lola helped distract people from their fear.  And Ben commented that maybe he should borrow it too.  That was a very lovely moment. 

Lucas could always write quips, but he always had serious problems when things got real between characters.  It didn't hamper the original trilogy as the romance between Han and Leia were played by actors who excelled in the art of sarcasm.  But it was a serious problem with the prequels, especially when you are giving the future Darth Vader tender. loving moments.  That's a tough assignment for anyone.  And I am very happy this series brought a nice of sense of closure and redemption for Ewan and Hayden and the characters they played.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Star Wars is my happy place. Even though it’s far from perfect I just love spending time in this world and with these characters. Although I still regret that I can’t nominate Obi-Wan in the idiot stick category of the Primetimers for letting Vader live. I know he had to live but just having him walk away was the wrong way to get to the point. 

I am really glad that we got to see how much Beru and Owen love Luke.

This really made me realize how badly I want a series about a teenage Leia in the rebellion. She is such an amazing character and her Rebels episode was so good. Her childhood was so much more interesting than Luke’s.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:16 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I wonder if we'll see the likes of Roken and Haja again? 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see them in Andor. 

On 6/23/2022 at 12:35 PM, norcalgal said:

OMG - how DENSE am I?!?!?!  It never once occurred to me that Force Anakin should indeed have appeared in the ST since he, out of anyone knows best the dark path Ben/Kylo Ren was travelling so could impart his experience/advice.  Wow, wow, wow - can't believe this never occurred to me until I read this post.

I’m just going to assume that Force Ghost Anakin was there getting irritated that his emo grandson couldn’t see him. This series made it clear the limitation is the living force user being able to see them.

On 6/24/2022 at 4:58 PM, supposebly said:

Because the message clearly talked about the children and Owen needing help with “the boy”. She knew that Owen was protecting a male child who was being hidden from Vader. Considering her entire world was built around getting revenge on Anakin it is believable that she would be very interesting in knowing why these children would be important to Anakin. So she goes to Tatooine and asks about a boy with a farmer named Owen. If Luke is going by Skywalker that is all it would take. If he’s not using Skywalker finding out the child is Owen’s nephew would led to questions about the boy’s family. Even if the water seller didn’t know Anakin visited he probably would know that Owen’s stepmother was Shmi Skywalker and from there it’s obvious. 

To me it’s more of a stretch that she wouldn’t figure it out. Luke’s only really protection is that the people who know Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader have no reason to look for him. As soon as anyone starts looking it is very easy to connect him to Anakin. 

On 6/24/2022 at 6:00 PM, Ottis said:

Leia sure changed quickly from an independent, “I can fix this” scamp to scared 10 year old.

A.K.A. a 10 year old. 

16 hours ago, Macbeth1966 said:

Lucas could always write quips, but he always had serious problems when things got real between characters.  It didn't hamper the original trilogy as the romance between Han and Leia were played by actors who excelled in the art of sarcasm. 

And by this time (Empire Strikes Back) Lucas was not writing the dialogue/screenplay, so that's important to note as well. The romance between Han and Leia is one of my favorite parts of Empire Strikes Back, but Lucas didn't write the screenplay. 

14 hours ago, Dani said:

This really made me realize how badly I want a series about a teenage Leia in the rebellion. She is such an amazing character and her Rebels episode was so good. Her childhood was so much more interesting than Luke’s.

I totally agree, and you are far from the only one who wants this show. It would be awesome. 

14 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m just going to assume that Force Ghost Anakin was there getting irritated that his emo grandson couldn’t see him. This series made it clear the limitation is the living force user being able to see them. 

I love this headcannon and it totally works. It explains so much. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

From now on any viewing of A New Hope will be accompanied by pouring one out for Beru Lars, the gangster queen of Tatooine! 

Obi-Wan: "Leia your parents were exceptional people and they had an amazing daughter..now I must go check on your idiot brother who is probably choking on a rock or wrecking his virtual pod racer at the moment".  

It's good to see that Owen and Beru really did love Luke, but it's still kind of sad that Bail and Breha couldn't have taken both children because they seem like wonderful parents. I'll always be happy to see Jimmy Smits on my screen as Bail Organa. We could have an entire show about Bail and I wouldn't complain. 

Obi-Wan going back to full strength and throwing all those rocks at Vader was an awesome visual! Vader done messed with the bull and also absolved him of any guilt (which was more about Vader taking credit for the fall of Anakin than making Obi-Wan feel better but still had the desired effect).

If they had those mini lightsabers in the Jedi temple for the younglings who were much younger than Leia, then I don't see why they wouldn't make like Fischer Price "My First Blaster" products for kids Leia's age.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Wow. That ending was great. That battle was one for the books - so satisfying to see Obi-Wan get his force mojo back! And I am glad we got to see Hayden C playing DV - so much has been made of his limited usefulness in this show, but he really played it perfectly here. Add me to the fans of the blending of Anakin/DV voices. Perfection there.

I hope if there is a season two we see Obi-Wan and Anakin in flashbacks, and not interacting in the present. I also hope we leave Luke and Leia behind until we see them in ANH. I think it will be harder to make that movie make sense if Obi-Wan interacts with them any more. Both were left perfectly in this episode, and when he told Leia to call on him if she ever needs him it perfectly set up the "Help me Obi-Wan" transmission. Loved her little hair buns and boots and holster :-)

I love the actress playing Reva. She was amazing in Queen's Gambit. But Reva was not necessary to this show in any way. They could have made all plots work just using the Grand Inquisitor, and he's a way more interesting character.

I do hope there is a season two. I don't think this was as good as Mandalorian, but definitely better than BOBF, but I'm not one to nit pick plot holes. I just love Star Wars and will take it in whatever form they give it to us.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Maybe I'm just not a big enough "Star Wars" fan but I didn't find this miniseries too engaging.  The plot was not well thought out and the characterization was sparse.  A lot of time was wasted on Reva, whose big moment of truth was when she couldn't kill a child, which is pretty far gone in moral terms.  Cutting off an innocent person's hand was obviously not a problem for her.  So much screen-time was spent on Reva, despite her not having any real role in Obi-Wan's character development within this series.  Obi-Wan just seemed like a sad defeatist loser who looked the other way when others needed help, and didn't regain his heroism until he had way too many un-subtle knocks on the head.  Since they actually got Ewan McGregor back, I feel that there was a lot of lost potential, for a better story that wasn't as predictable and simplistic.  

Sloppy writing started off the episode.  Obi-Wan's ship getting chased continued right from the last episode (with another tiresome "I need to give you more time to fix something"), but somehow Reva was already healed and on Tatooine?  The whole mission to kill Luke was obviously going to fail, so I really couldn't care less.  Ditto for the umpteenth confrontation between Obi-wan and Darth Vader.  I've only watched each of the Star Wars movies once, so maybe the deep bond between Obi-Wan and Anakin was just too far in the past to affect me in any way.  Though strangely, the brief scene between Obi-Wan and his old master did get to me, so I think I could have liked this story a lot more than I did.

Leia was very well cast, so I wouldn't mind having a story around her, though she was a tad too bratty at the beginning and know-it-all without the subtlety in this series.  

Watching this series does make me want to watch "A New Hope" for the second time since forever, though.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
On 6/28/2022 at 11:36 PM, jennifer6973 said:

I just realized the scene I wanted to see was Haja bringing Leia up to the door of Alderaan Castle, with Bail coming to the door with a total WTF look on his face.

That would be hilarious. 

I do wish we had Obi Wan trying to turn Vader/Anakin back. Anakin/Vader definitely wouldn't be open to it. But it would have been nice to see and made Vader telling Luke that Obi Wan once thought as Luke did and Obi Wan's completely dismissing Luke thinking he could be saved make more sense. 

I wonder how much C3PO liked working for the royal family. That always seemed like his prefered choice of work. 

One last thing I wish was we a had a moment where Obi Wan and/or Bail looked at Luke and Leia feeling bad that the two siblings can't meet or know of each other yet. We had a moment of Obi Wan thinking that about Leia and her parents. But there should have been one for that he can't let her know she does have a family member from her bio family living sibling, a twin living but can't introduce her to him. Same with Luke. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

One last thing I wish was we a had a moment where Obi Wan and/or Bail looked at Luke and Leia feeling bad that the two siblings can't meet or know of each other yet. We had a moment of Obi Wan thinking that about Leia and her parents. But there should have been one for that he can't let her know she does have a family member from her bio family living sibling, a twin living but can't introduce her to him. Same with Luke. 

If this had happened, it would make more sense for Bail to feel the injustice of the twins not knowing of each other, since Obi-Wan was removed from his biological family at a very young age, so might not hold fond thoughts w/r/t blood "family" ties in the same way as Bail. Since the Jedi have long been Obi-Wan's family, he probably feels family is family - and doesn't elevate "blood" family over other kinds of family.

• Love 3
(edited)

Lucas wrote the entire second draft of the ESB screenplay and what you see onscreen is pretty much what you see. The big exception is that Lawrence Kasdan took George's atrocious dialogue and every line of it I read of it was ATROCIOUS and made it memorable. George absolutely did co-write the ESB script but didn't take credit for it as a tribute to Leigh Brackett, who had recently died and I believe it was a way for her family to make money from it.

Edited by benteen
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2