Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Part VI

• Start Topic

Okay, the story was really weak, but the Obi Wan/Vader scenes were all great. I was straight up giddy during everyone of their scenes.

I can’t believe in his spite, after burying him into a ditch, Vader didn’t proclaim “who has the high ground now?”

When Beru announced Reva would come at night, I thought “Great, I won’t be able to see anything in those scenes.” And I was right. Why do filmmakers insist on lighting scenes like this?

They should rename this series “I’m sure my foe will perish eventually.”

It made me so happy when they finally acknowledged how much Leia is like Anakin. They’ve always leaned into her and Padme both being politicians. But Leia needed Anakin’s fire to keep the rebellion going. 

I called “Hello there.” I knew it would end like that!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
51 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

When Beru announced Reva would come at night, I thought “Great, I won’t be able to see anything in those scenes.” 

Clearly, Owen could not see anything either... Dude cannot shoot...

• Love 4

I'm conflicted!

The Obi-Wan/Anakin fight was great.  Loved the back and forth switching from Anakin's voice to Vader's at the end.  "You didn't kill Anakin, I did" was a nice touch and attempt at explaining "from a certain point of view" :D     I admit to wearing Ewan McGregor colored glasses and he is incredibly hot in this show *fans self* but oof, just walking away AGAIN without dealing the killing blow?   I know we have to stick with what's come before and I know it is kind of in keeping with Obi-Wan's character, but really, really not a good look.    Oddly, I can kinda understand Vader leaving Obi-Wan covered in rocks and walking away - I think the Emperor cameo (and that WAS Ian McDiarmid) was right - Anakin still has residual feelings and though the search and subsequent chases of Obi-Wan were driven by Vader's need for revenge, at the end, the Anakin piece couldn't double tap either.

Barring a second season, we're supposed to infer from the brief Vader/Emperor scene that Vader just lets it go, or the searches are dialed down when Kenobi is never found?  That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me from what we've seen in this series of Vader's motivations but there's probably a tiny, hidden piece of Vader/Anakin that doesn't want to get his ass kicked by his former friend again.

Reva magically appearing on Tatooine took me out of that section.  I guess I don't need to see her dragging herself to some ship or whatever, but it was abrupt.  Also, we know what happens with Luke and I wanted to get back to the lightsaber duel.

I just knew they were going to redeem Reva - we wouldn't have had all of the flashbacks to her as a terrified child if they weren't- but the dark side of the Force in me really wanted Owen and Beru to take her out.   I haven't disliked the Reva character, but she was obviously seriously injured and in pain, so it made sense that O & B could kill her; they had a plan to defend against an attack.  I didn't like Luke surviving only because of Reva's mercy.  I would rather have more confirmation that Luke was protected in certain situations even if Obi-Wan wasn't there. 

Redemption is a Star Wars theme, unless you're the Emperor, then we can just blame him for everything.  

Wish we could have had a few more episodes, as some things were resolved awfully quickly.  Too much time was spent with Reva for a totally predictable ending.  Waste of an interesting character in Tala.  Needed more Obi-Wan alone; more Obi-Wan and Anakin together pre-Vader.  I did enjoy young Leia.    I could watch Owen being grumpy and Beru being practical and badass while taking care of a young PITA Luke.  

It was nice to see Qui-Gon again, even briefly.   These actors don't come cheap, I'm sure.

Overall maybe a 7 or 8.  I'll def binge all at some point and see how it flows that way.

• Applause 1
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, raven said:

I just knew they were going to redeem Reva - we wouldn't have had all of the flashbacks to her as a terrified child if they weren't- but the dark side of the Force in me really wanted Owen and Beru to take her out.   I haven't disliked the Reva character, but she was obviously seriously injured and in pain, so it made sense that O & B could kill her; they had a plan to defend against an attack.  I didn't like Luke surviving only because of Reva's mercy.  I would rather have more confirmation that Luke was protected in certain situations even if Obi-Wan wasn't there. 

I know Owen and Beru were injured, but so was Reva, it seemed really improbable that they wouldn't chase after her on  a speeder and take her out, instead of leaving Luke to his own devices. Then again, maybe they already saw the OT and knew it all worked out in the end, so didn't bother putting in the effort. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 10
4 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Then again, maybe they already saw the OT and knew it all worked out in the end, so didn't bother putting in the effort. 

LOL.  My favorite part was when Obi-Wan rushes up while Owen & Beru are standing around calling "Luke, Luke" and Obi-Wan asks "where's Luke"??

I would have said "if we knew that, would we be standing around calling him??"

Then again, the Lars couple calling for a missing Luke IS a thing.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

I was really hoping for a Season 2.  But after watching Anakin/Vader's conversation with Obi Wan - it doesn't get better than that.  You can never top that scene.  Hearing both Vader's and Anakin's voices was brilliant, as well as seeing a part of Anakin.  For Obi-Wan this was closure.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 15

This was a good show. Not perfect the episodes could have been longer and it should have been 8 episodes. 6 feels short and 10 is too many. 8 is the sweet spot.  As others said I am glad Hayden returned and more importantly got the love from fans. At Celebration they were chanting his name and he got some of the loudest reactions so he got his redemption as well such a SW thing. While I think they should have had another flashback of Anakin and Obi-Wan together they still did a good job. The fight was great and I liked the blending of Anakin and Vaders voice when the mask cracked. 

Ewan was great especially when he said he was sorry for everything. He brought it and even Hayden had a good creepy look on the side of his face when he said he killed Anakin. Though who are we kidding you can feel Anakin is still in him.  Great use of colors with Obi-Wan in blue and Vader in the red lighting.  Yes,very cool seeing Liam again. Even the Emperor cameo was good. 

Reva was okay. I know the actress got hate and that sucks. I still didn't really love or hate her character. She was just okay. 

Glad they used Leia and showed she had qualities of Anakin and Padme. She was his daughter as well and it always felt like they acted like Luke was the only one who had a connection to him.  Though it is sad the Vader obsession her son develops. 

Rumors of a S2. If that happens I don't see Obi-Wan and Vader meeting again. If we do get a S2 just do another flashback of Anakin and Obi-Wan that's it.  I've also heard rumors of Hayden maybe showing up in the Ashoka series if that is true I just want a flashback. I'd love to see Anakin as a force ghost. 

Nice hearing the old themes finally. As a fan this felt like a fun time. After Rise of Skywalker I was done but this brought me back.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 15

Of all the callbacks, I don’t know how you get Ben and Leia back together at the end, and not have that adorable kid give some version of her character’s most iconic line.  I mean, it was right there - “Thank you, Obi-Wan Kenobi- you were my only hope.”

Beyond that, I thought it was a good finale, and that they did a good job with the  Vader/Obi confrontation.  It’s not that there’s ever been anything missing in between their duels on Mustafar and DS1.  However their battles in this series have helped inform how Ben goes from calling Ani his brother, to saying Vader is twisted and evil.  And again, while I don’t feel it’s necessary to explain why Ben tells Luke that Vader “betrayed and murdered” Anakin, the scene in this episode was powerful, and I’m glad that Hayden got a chance to play it.  The only thing is that Vader needs to watch that head slice- Ashoka hits him with a similar move in Rebels…

With Reva, I can buy her redemption at the end.  I don’t think it absolves her character for her past bad acts- but I also feel like they (both Moses and the show) give us enough context to want to see her atone for it, and be better.  This episode especially does a great job of getting her to that breaking point where she’s able to change.  And, it’s not like SW doesn’t have a history for this type of character arc.  If fans can forgive and embrace the likes of Asajj Ventress or (should I go there???) Mara Jade, then we can do the same for Reva - and I hope that the nonsense of the past month hasn’t soured Lucasfilm on her.

Last bits: Ultimately I’m not surprised that Liam and Ian have been Garfield-ing us about their cameos, but it was nice to see them.  I think if they can come up with another suitable reason to get Ben off the sand again, then go for it- but otherwise I’m glad that this was produced as if it’s a one time thing.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 13
18 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

Rumors of a S2. If that happens I don't see Obi-Wan and Vader meeting again. If we do get a S2 just do another flashback of Anakin and Obi-Wan that's it.

Yeah, I think it'll be hard to milk many more Vader/Obi-Wan confrontations, it will make Vader's line "A presence I haven't felt since..." line in ANH more and more comical, when you get to the point where you can fill in the blank with "last Tuesday." And after all of their epic showdowns this season, it'll be hard to deliver a satisfying series of near-misses in the future. They could probably still include Vader in future seasons if they continue to feature Leia, since she'll soon be getting more involved with the Empire.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

If S2 centered around Obi-Wan learning from Force Ghost Qui-Gon, while simultaneously helping to establish other canon Force Users like Corran Horn, and possibly following the rise/growth of the Rebellion, I would be a happy fangirl.

If S2 doesn't happen, just those couple of lines from Qui-Gon and getting to see Obi-Wan is not alone, is as happy an ending as I could have hoped for, given events to come in ANH.

• Applause 1
  • Love 11

I loved everything about this episode. Obi Wan verse Vader was awesome. EM is just so good. Had me tearing up at times. I'm so glad we got little Leia, and I'm grateful for the Leia and Obi Wan relationship I didn't know I needed. I had such a blast watching this series. Its funny on father's day we had a big family bbq and every was asking/talking about this show and if we all were watching it lol. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 9

Despite a flew plot contrivances (wow, Reva really booked it to Tatooine!  Sure she didn't have a teleporter with her?  And she had just been stabbed by a lightsaber a few seconds ago!  Impressive!!) and some moments that will make the original films have odd bits (you were the one who introduced Luke to the "crazy old man", Owen!), I actually thought it mainly stuck the landing which is kind of nice.

Obi-Wan/Darth Vader round two (not including the duel in Revenge of the Sith since he was still Anakin at the time) lived up to the hype and while Vader is still a force to be reckoned with, you get to see once again just how powerful Obi-Wan is when he's firing on all cylinders.  The bit where he just started levitating all of the boulders at the same time and started pummeling Vader with them was insane!  Definitely earned the win!  But I'm not surprised he walked away instead of finishing off Vader.  Arguably the wrong call in a lot of ways, but I can see why Obi-Wan can never bring himself to kill the man who was once his pupil and friend.  Maybe a little frustrating in the grand scheme of things, but Ewan McGregor is able to sell it in a way that I can understand.  The moment when Vader lost half of his helmet and we not only saw half his face but heard both James Earl Jones and Hayden Christensen's voices at the same time was a great moment as well.

Reva taking on the Lars to get to Luke wasn't as interesting (and way too dark on screen), but I guess it went the way I figured it would: the beginning of her redemption tour.  Sure, stopping yourself from killing a kid in cold blood is the barest minimum one can do, but in the context of Star Wars and forgiveness, that's par for the course!

I so hope we see more of Little Leia going forward in this universe!  No one is going to know what hit them!

I wonder if we'll see the likes of Roken and Haja again?  My vote is for Haja to somehow cross paths with Mayfeld/Bill Burr someday and we get a Star Wars show starring all stand-up comics!  Bring them all!  Chris Rock!  Sarah Silverman!  John Mulaney!!

Not surprised we got an Emperor Palpatine cameo, but it's always great seeing Ian McDiarmid dine on the scenery like a pro.  Wasn't expecting a Force Ghost Qui-Gon though, so that was great!  Especially since Liam Neeson had way more energy in those few moments compared to the last ten or so generic action films I've seen him in.

Overall, the show wasn't without its flaws and I do think I'll rank it below both Mandalorian seasons, but I thought this was miles better than The Book of Boba Fett and it at least finished pretty strongly, I thought.  Great seeing Ewan again as Kenobi and while his performance in the films still probably didn't fully work for me, I do think Hayden showed here that he is capable of much more when the material is stronger.  Glad he's getting some love now.  I'll certainly be down for a second season and I wouldn't mind seeing everyone again on one of the other shows if that is in the cards as well.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 18
37 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Not surprised we got an Emperor Palpatine cameo, but it's always great seeing Ian McDiarmid dine on the scenery like a pro. 

"You seem agitated, my friend" is going to be a fun meme to emerge from this, I can already tell.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Probably best episode of the series but with quality of previous episodes it isn't great achievement.

Obi-Wan and Vader duel was good. Changing voice from James Earl Jones' voice to Hayden's was great. But doesn't make sense that Obi-Wan can't kill Vader(Vader even gave Obi-Wan confirmation that "Anakin is dead" and Obi-Wan doesn't have to feel guilty that Anakin turned to dark side) but later he is pretty much forcing Luke to just kill his father. And since when Vader's cloak can stop lightsaber?

Reva is still meh as character for me and her "redemption" feels cheap. As inquisitor she always used violence even when other inquisitors were like like "chill, this can be deal in peaceful way". And 2 episodes ago she wanted torture children, so it is little hard for me to believe in her return from dark side.

Still several wtf moments in this episode. When Rorken build new ship with working hyperdrive, when in previous episode they had 2 ships and one was destroyed by Vader? I assume also that after this episode Empire put on destroyers TIE Fighters because for some reason destroyer has problem to catch/destroy old, barely functioning ship. Where was Bail when he said that he will travel to Tatooine? And really no one put agents to watch Bail when now everyone should know that at moment that Leia is kidnapped, Obi-Wan will reappear, rescue her, travel with her for some time and Vader is like we are searching for him and then he is like, nah I don't care about Obi-Wan.

Overall this series was for me just barely ok as whole. Ewan McGregor has probably issues with back as he had to carry this show(Hayden, Indira Varma, Leia's actress were also good). Series had good potential but feels rushed, kind of cheap settings(in comprasion with Mandalorian where Mando feels like lived universe) and worst of all weak writting. To me it seems like you had to shut your brain half of the time so you will not see the wtf moments, plot holes, etc.

I think now that biggest problem for Star Wars that writting is of very low quality so I hope that this will improve in future.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm so sad it's over. I don't know what story they could realistically tell in a second season, but all I know is that I want there to be a second season. 

Wow, Hayden as Anakin under the mask gave me freakin' chills!! The way his voice and JEJ's voices combined was amazing, and just the horrifying appearance of Anakin's face was perfection. But the best was Vader's sinister smile after he said that he killed Anakin not Obi-Wan. I love that the show had Vader/Anakin say that so that now Obi-Wan's line in ANH to Luke about how Anakin died makes sense. 

Equally amazing was Ewan's portrayal as Obi-Wan finally accepted that Anakin is dead and all that is left is Darth Vader. Obi-Wan's tears brought tears to my eyes. Ewan brought it for the entire series, both acting and for the fight scenes. He looked pretty good during the duel for an "old man". 

More tears from me when Obi-Wan told Leia about her "exceptional" parents and how she is a combination of both of them. 😭 Obi-Wan's love for Leia, Luke, Anakin, and Padme was on full display during the show and it saddens me that he'll now go back to keeping his distance from the twins and won't be a part of their lives when clearly he would die for them. I loved that it was his love for Luke & Leia that gave him the extra strength to break out of the rubble and defeat Vader. Also love that Obi-Wan sensing Luke was in danger was a callback to when Leia sensed Luke in ESB (the whispered "Luke" had to be intentional, right?). Seriously, I want an alternative timeline where Uncle Obi-Wan raises Luke and Leia himself. 

Obviously Owen loved Luke in ANH, otherwise he wouldn't have raised him, but he was pretty gruff. So I appreciate that we got to see how far Owen and Beru would go to protect the kid they raised from infancy. I loved seeing Beru wielding the blaster and I teared up when Owen told Reva that Luke is "his own". Now I hate it even more knowing how Owen & Beru meet their end, and also that once they're dead Luke basically forgets about them. 

Excellent finale to a series I enjoyed immensely. 

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 19

I thought it was a decent finale. Are they really doing a second season? It seems pretty finished to me.

My problem in general with Star Wars is that neither Boba Fett or Kenobi have grabbed me the way Mandalorian and Grogu  have. They better hope that most people who came into Star Wars through the Mandalorian are not like me.

In particular I was also really turned off by the hating on the Reva actress and by unfortunately coming across some websites that are yikes! (Star Wars nazis, run by nasty white men).  Slowly backs away. To be fair there also have been some lovely Star Wars centric places like "Star Wars Explained", "Kyle Katarn", "Star Wars News Net" and the "ForceCenter Podcast" -all highly recommended.

EM is a great actor and young Leia was adorable throughout. I am also glad for HC who, from what I heard used to get lots of nastiness thrown at him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I really enjoyed this episode and the whole series. I agree that this is a good end if there are no other seasons. If there is another season it would definitely couldn’t involve Vader. At least no directly so that he and Obi Wan don’t meet again. This was a nice place to connect between ROTS and ANH with them. 

I have seen comments here and other places about the TIE fighters not being used but this was also exactly what was done at the beginning of ANH. It seems the strategy is to basically bombard till the shields are gone and they can damage the ship enough so that they can be boarded. 

I will say my one issue is the Reva storyline. The actress really did turn the character around and gave her depth but Reva seems like a loose end.

loved the fight with Obi Wan and Vader. Liked that we finally saw someone go after Vader’s chest panel. Great use of both HC and JEJ’s voices. I think the dialogue and EM expressions really made the scene great. 

Nice seeing the Emperor at the end. also loved the subtle threat he makes to Vader so that Vader has to force himself to stop obsessing about Obi Wan. I know in books and in comics the Inquisitors were created by the Emperor so that Vader would focus on his Sith training and helping the Emperor with the Empire and stop obsessing about the Jedi. While Vader cares about killing all the remaining Jedi, the Emperor is just content with letting them hide from his Empire. Also the more Vader is stuck on obsessing about Obi Wan the more he clings to his old life as Anakin and the Emperor doesn’t want that. 

I do wonder what happened to Lola now.

I think the show was successful in its main goal of showing how Obi Wan was able to recover from everything that happened in the prequels to be the person he was in the OT. 

• Like 1
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

My vote is for Haja to somehow cross paths with Mayfeld/Bill Burr someday and we get a Star Wars show starring all stand-up comics!  Bring them all!  Chris Rock!  Sarah Silverman!  John Mulaney!!

They would be travelling re-enactors... like the dudes Loki used to replay his death scene, or the group that Arya Stark hung around with in GoT 

• LOL 1

Great episode. It definitely lived up to my expectations. The Obi-Wan/Vader fight was worth the build and getting to see them fight on such a high level was awesome. Really liked how Vader's voice fluxated between Hayden and JEJ.

I liked that it was Obi-Wan's love of Luke and Leia that saved him. See, Star Wars, attachments aren't all bad!

I did enjoy getting to see Owen and Beru defend Luke and the homestead. I'm glad we got to see more of them.

Welcome back, Qui-Gon! And Palpatine too.

I actually thought Reva would be on Alderaan keeping an eye on Leia from afar. I've never been a big fan of the revolving door of the dark side. Obi-Wan and Yoda made it sound like it was almost impossible to come back from...that's what made Anakin's redemption so extraordinary. Vader allowing Reva is sloppy.

On the subject of Luke surviving because of Reva's mercy, don't underestimate Obi-Wan's influence last episode in getting Reva to realize she was going too far.

To me though, they missed a golden opportunity to end the show with the ultimate scene...Anakin and Obi-Wan reuniting as Force ghosts after Anakin's death. How awesome would it have been to see the two reunite after Endor and after the final scene of ROTJ, with Yoda there as well? Who wouldn't want that scene? Maybe they could end a potential Obi-Wan Season 2 with a post-Endor scene with the ghosts of Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda but if this doesn't happen, it's a missed opportunity on the scale of not reuniting Luke, Han and Leia in the sequel trilogy. Disney just LOVES their missed opportunities...

Honestly, Force Anakin not being in the sequel trilogy was an inexplicable omission. You have the grandson of Anakin Skywalker who has turned to the dark side and is obsessed with finishing what Darth Vader started. How the hell doesn't the Ghost of Anakin not visit him and try to smack some sense in him?

I've been waiting for an live-action Obi-Wan Kenobi series for years and I wasn't disappointed. Great job all around.

• Like 2
  • Love 10

Well, that was not bad. During the fight, I kept thinking that I would have preferred Hayden Christiansen's voice under the helmet until Anakin was well and truly dead at the end of this series. But the mixing of the voices at the end of the fight was powerful too. Obi-Wan wasn't actually able to kill the last remnants of Anakin and walked away. I liked that. And Darth Vader never wins against him.

Despite all the big talk, I don't think Anakin was entirely certain that he could beat Obi-Wan by poking a hole in him. So, rocks on head it is. And even poking a hole in someone doesn't seem to kill people on this show. 

Reva was excellent, although I wasn't entirely sure WHY she went after Luke.

I am wondering what Obi-Wan is going to do the next 10 years. All dressed up and where is he going?

I absolutely loved the little actress playing Leia.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, benteen said:

Great episode. It definitely lived up to my expectations. The Obi-Wan/Vader fight was worth the build and getting to see them fight on such a high level was awesome. Really liked how Vader's voice fluxated between Hayden and JEJ.

I liked that it was Obi-Wan's love of Luke and Leia that saved him. See, Star Wars, attachments aren't all bad!

I did enjoy getting to see Owen and Beru defend Luke and the homestead. I'm glad we got to see more of them.

Welcome back, Qui-Gon! And Palpatine too.

I actually thought Reva would be on Alderaan keeping an eye on Leia from afar. I've never been a big fan of the revolving door of the dark side. Obi-Wan and Yoda made it sound like it was almost impossible to come back from...that's what made Anakin's redemption so extraordinary. Vader allowing Reva is sloppy.

On the subject of Luke surviving because of Reva's mercy, don't underestimate Obi-Wan's influence last episode in getting Reva to realize she was going too far.

To me though, they missed a golden opportunity to end the show with the ultimate scene...Anakin and Obi-Wan reuniting as Force ghosts after Anakin's death. How awesome would it have been to see the two reunite after Endor and after the final scene of ROTJ, with Yoda there as well? Who wouldn't want that scene? Maybe they could end a potential Obi-Wan Season 2 with a post-Endor scene with the ghosts of Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda but if this doesn't happen, it's a missed opportunity on the scale of not reuniting Luke, Han and Leia in the sequel trilogy. Disney just LOVES their missed opportunities...

Honestly, Force Anakin not being in the sequel trilogy was an inexplicable omission. You have the grandson of Anakin Skywalker who has turned to the dark side and is obsessed with finishing what Darth Vader started. How the hell doesn't the Ghost of Anakin not visit him and try to smack some sense in him?

I've been waiting for an live-action Obi-Wan Kenobi series for years and I wasn't disappointed. Great job all around.

It was a missed opportunity not showing Anakin's force ghost yelling at Ben.  A scene between Anakin and Luke would have been wonderful as well. I feel like JJ didn't really like the prequels and behind the scenes maybe they were hesitant to show PT stuff and use Hayden because of backlash. I don't know just a theory. Now they are embracing the PT and HC is getting the love. Maybe in one of the many shows we can get a scene between Anakin and Luke. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

It was a missed opportunity not showing Anakin's force ghost yelling at Ben.  A scene between Anakin and Luke would have been wonderful as well. I feel like JJ didn't really like the prequels and behind the scenes maybe they were hesitant to show PT stuff and use Hayden because of backlash. I don't know just a theory. Now they are embracing the PT and HC is getting the love. Maybe in one of the many shows we can get a scene between Anakin and Luke. 

Yes. I've always wanted to see a true Anakin and Luke scene too.

Whatever the flaws of the prequel trilogy and they are considerable, Disney managed to make a sequel trilogy with less rewatchability. I don't see many fans having the fondness for the sequel trilogy that they do for the prequels. The Clone Wars has helped the prequels big time.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Finally got it...perfect. Yes, it was total fan service and I don't care.

Loved this episode.  Loved the Vader/Obi-Wan fight and yeah he should have gone for the kill but, I can see why Obi-Wan couldn't bring himself to kill Anakin....even when facing Vader.

Reva won me over in the end. Her story wasn't as impactful and Trilla's but,  I probably would have loved it if I hadn't just played Fallen Order. I did think her redemption worked, seeing younger self as Luke, and becoming Anakin worked thematically. 

Qui-Gon! So good to see him. ❤️

Now, as much as I loved the Obi-Wan/Anakin/Vader scene I have to admit that Ahsoka/Anakin/Vader hurt more.

I know that was Ian McDiarmid but, I was hoping they'd give it to Sam Witwer....maybe S2 will give me Obi-Wan/Maul. 😍

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Like 1
  • Love 7

That was seriously the best lightsaber fight since TLJ. Vader’s Two-Face moment, his voice switching from Hayden to JEJ, declaring that he killed Anakin Skywalker, leaving a devastated Obi-Wan to call him “Darth” was just brilliantly done.

Lets hear it for lightspeed, getting both Reva and Obi-Wan to Tatooine so fast!

And let’s hear it for Owen and Beru! Who would’ve thought they could be so badass. One takes it for granted that they were good people who really did love Luke. “He is my own.” Aww, Owen. Now I’m madder they were all but forgotten after ANH.

I guess despite all the people Reva helped hint down, this was the first time she ever tried to get her hands dirty killing a child. Which was why, whether she just wanted to kill him to spite Vader/Obi-Wan or to prevent ANOTHER Vader (since he was his son), she ultimately couldn’t bring herself to do it. So I guess I can buy her redemption arc—it was still better than Kylo Ren’s.

YES! FORCE GHOST QUI-GON! And Palpatine! And the Vader music! Only thing I didn’t get was Luke and Leia seeing each other from a distance, but that would’ve been too much. Can’t have everything.

10 hours ago, mrc12671 said:

Glad this has also served as a kind of "redemption" tour of sorts for Hayden.  Anyone who's seen the move Shattered Glass knows the man can act.  As the years go on, it becomes clearer and clearer the prequels had the right actors at the center of their doomed love affair, they just blew it on the execution.  That'll always make me a little sad

Seriously. And that’s why I loved this series. It was what the prequels COULD have been. Ewan and the other returning actors got dialogue a million times better than they ever got in the movies. Were there plot holes? Sure, it’s Star Wars. But it was fun. Even knowing how the future will go won’t take that from me.

If we get a season two, great. If not, I’m still happy with what we got,

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11

I'm going to go out on a limb here:  Yes, Owen shoots about as well as the average Stormtrooper, but given Beru's right hook, she's the badass of the family anyway.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, supposebly said:

Reva was excellent, although I wasn't entirely sure WHY she went after Luke.

I wasn't sure of her motivation either. But I think it was either 1) to kill Luke as some sort of revenge against Vader (even though Vader has no idea Luke even exists) or 2) to prevent Anakin's son from growing up to become evil too. Either way, was her next step to go to Alderaan and kill Leia, since I think she figured out that Leia was also Anakin's kid too? Reva's arc was kind of iffy to me, but kudos to Moses Ingram who sold me this episode on Reva's inner conflict and return to the light side. I wouldn't mind seeing Reva pop up in another Disney/Star Wars series, just to see what she's up to after turning away from the dark side.

4 hours ago, ybrik said:

loved the subtle threat he makes to Vader so that Vader has to force himself to stop obsessing about Obi Wan.

I was wondering how the show was going to explain why Vader stopped looking for Obi-Wan by the time we get to ANH, and I like that it basically boils down to the Emperor threatening Vader into stopping his hunt & obsession with Obi-Wan. As scary & powerful as Vader is, that last scene reiterates that the Emperor is his master and he calls the shots. 

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It was what the prequels COULD have been. Ewan and the other returning actors got dialogue a million times better than they ever got in the movies.

I completely agree that the dialogue was greatly improved compared to the cringey rubbish of the prequels. Ewan is such a good actor that he did manage to have some moments in the PT's, but I'm so happy that he finally got to flex his acting chops as Obi-Wan in the show. I'm also glad Hayden got some good material that he could work with. This last Vader/Obi-Wan confrontation blew away the one in RotS because the actors were given better dialogue and were allowed to act. Vader shouting "Obi-Wan!" impacted me more than him shouting "I hate you!" like some petulant child in RotS.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, raven said:

"You didn't kill Anakin, I did" was a nice touch and attempt at explaining "from a certain point of view" :D

This also aligns with 'The padawan of Anakin Skywalker' line in Rebels. Which sort of nails the timeline down better. The changes in the Vader voice to Anakin was a brilliant touch.

Only one other was able to crack Vader's mask in a fight.

Well, I wanted to see Kenobi beat Vader like a bitch. I was not disappointed. "You like rocks? How about these?!" Wow when Kenobi jumped out of the pit, he was at 100% for sure. He even flug Vader like a rag doll a few times. 

13 hours ago, raven said:

Barring a second season, we're supposed to infer from the brief Vader/Emperor scene that Vader just lets it go, or the searches are dialed down when Kenobi is never found? 

Vader didn't actually find Kenobi at all; Reva hatched the plan that lured him out. With the Inquisitors basically being taken out, he just doesn't have the resources to find him. Soon, the Death Star will be operational, and he'll have to be over there working on that. 

7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Arguably the wrong call in a lot of ways, but I can see why Obi-Wan can never bring himself to kill the man who was once his pupil and friend. 

Knowing that we know he wouldn't die, they pulled it off well because with the mask cracked, you can *see* Anakin. If Vader just kept coming for him, then I think Kenobi is forced to finish him off. It was basically the same concept with the other one that cracked his mask. In fact, they basically ripped off the scene to a point. A good rip though. I don't think Vader wanted to kill Kenobi either more than make him suffer, so burying him in the pit is a total diva thing to do and very consistent. 

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

That was seriously the best lightsaber fight since TLJ. Vader’s Two-Face moment, his voice switching from Hayden to JEJ, declaring that he killed Anakin Skywalker, leaving a devastated Obi-Wan to call him “Darth” was just brilliantly done.

It was such a bitch move to Vader too. He just said "Darth". Kenobi just refusing to say 'Vader'. 

I can't see how to top that duel either, and any 'final' battle prior to ANH, Kenobi has to win. It would just be watered down if there was a rematch. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, bunnyblue said:

1) to kill Luke as some sort of revenge against Vader (even though Vader has no idea Luke even exists) or 2) to prevent Anakin's son from growing up to become evil too.

How does she know that Luke is Anakin's son?

(edited)
29 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Reva found Bail's message to Obi-Wan where he basically gives all the pertinent information needed for her to figure out that Anakin had "children". Bail gave the location of the "boy" and "Owen" on "Tatooine". And she met an "Owen" on Tatooine, so I'm sure it wasn't too hard for her to connect the dots. 

Another moment I loved was when Obi-Wan gave Leia Tala's holster and she commented that it's empty and Obi-Wan rolled his eyes and said he wasn't going to give a 10 year old a blaster. I'm going to miss the Obi-Wan/Leia relationship, they were just so good together.

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11

Vader said "That is why you will always lose."  Has Obi-Wan ever lost to him?

Vader also has a tendency to walk away without being sure his opponent is dead.

Jeez, Obi-Wan flew all the way from another planet just to say hi, he couldn't spend the night and get a meal?  Or even refuel?

On 6/22/2022 at 7:44 AM, raven said:

Reva magically appearing on Tatooine took me out of that section.  I guess I don't need to see her dragging herself to some ship or whatever, but it was abrupt.  Also, we know what happens with Luke and I wanted to get back to the lightsaber duel.

I would imagine a Force user has healing properties.

I find it hard to believe that Owen and Beru just sort of stand around and let a Force user go after Luke, without even trying to follow her.  And then when she brings Luke back, they just stand there as she dumps him on the ground till her groans.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, RedElf said:

I find it hard to believe that Owen and Beru just sort of stand around and let a Force user go after Luke, without even trying to follow her.  And then when she brings Luke back, they just stand there as she dumps him on the ground till her groans.

I'm with you on not going after her, although Owen was pretty beat up and may not have made it outside in time to see which direction they went. Beru was in better shape, though, and could have given chase. When she brought Luke back, they all just stood there for a moment because they thought he might be dead and were frozen with the horror of it. Only when Luke moved and they knew he was alive were they shaken out of it.

ETA a few people have commented that Owen allowing Obi-Wan to meet Luke contradicts his attitude toward Ben in A New Hope, but I don't think it does. I doubt he got more than five minutes to give Luke the toy, which won't have made much of an impression on Luke. If anything, the encounter explains why Luke vaguely knew who 'Ben' was in A New Hope, since Owen can allow Obi-Wan a single moment of grace while still holding the general opinion that he is a crazy old space wizard that he doesn't want around his family, and having allowed Luke to meet Obi-Wan, he'd then have had to talk about him afterward, providing a platform for him to tell Luke that 'Ben' is just a crazy old hermit who lives out in the desert. Up till then, Obi-Wan had kept his distance enough that Luke had never seen him and didn't know he existed.

Edited by Llywela
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, mrc12671 said:

As the years go on, it becomes clearer and clearer the prequels had the right actors at the center of their doomed love affair, they just blew it on the execution.  That'll always make me a little sad.

George Lucas has many talents. Writing dialogue, especially romantic dialogue, isn't one of them. He needs people around him to set limits and tell him no, which clearly was not happening with the prequels. The biggest problems with the prequels were bad writing and overreliance on CGI.  

14 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

Nice hearing the old themes finally. As a fan this felt like a fun time. 

Leia's theme played when Obi-Wan talks to her on Alderan. What was playing when Leia was putting on her boots and holster? I know I recognized it, but I can't place it. 

13 hours ago, absnow54 said:

They could probably still include Vader in future seasons if they continue to feature Leia, since she'll soon be getting more involved with the Empire.

10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I so hope we see more of Little Leia going forward in this universe!  No one is going to know what hit them!

This is a series that I want and have wanted for a while now. Show us Leia growing up and getting more involved in politics and the Resistance. I also want to see Bail's reaction when Leia asks him to teach her how to use a blaster.  

10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The moment when Vader lost half of his helmet and we not only saw half his face but heard both James Earl Jones and Hayden Christensen's voices at the same time was a great moment as well.

That was an awesome moment. I also liked what they did with the lighting, because sometimes he looked more like Anakin, and sometimes he looked more like the white mess you saw with the helmet removed at the end of Return of the Jedi

2 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Another moment I loved was when Obi-Wan gave Leia Tala's holster and she commented that it's empty and Obi-Wan rolled his eyes and said he wasn't going to give a 10 year old a blaster. I'm going to miss the Obi-Wan/Leia relationship, they were just so good together.

I loved that Leia was dissapointed she didn't get a blaster. Seeing the relationship between Obi-Wan and Leia develop was great. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 11

Also, in things I didn't realize I needed/wanted from this series, the Star Wars version of a camel. The creature (I have no idea what it's called) appealed tome. It fits in so well with the environment, and I liked the way it played with the iconography of the western (the hero riding off at the end on his horse). 

In things I was hoping would happen but didn't: I didn't want the twins to meet each other, or for any of the characters to meet Han, but I did want to see the Falcon make a cameo appearance docked somewhere. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Among the host of thoughts running through my head after watching this episode is just how formidable a task the showrunners set themselves in producing this show. Just a few challenges they had to contend with:

• Writing a true "sandwich" story, having to accommodate pre-existing backstory and follow-up, while bridging the narrative gap.
  • Finding a way to deepen the story of two of the most iconic Star Wars characters and their relationship.
  • Including the background of the canon animated stories, without alienating viewers who were familiar only with the live-action films.
  • Finding a child actor who would be up to the task of playing the younger version of a beloved character.

It could have gone wrong in so many ways for Deborah Chow and her team, but they pulled it off -- telling a new character-driven story that fit new, small, detail pieces into the jigsaw puzzle that is the Skywalker Saga, while leaving the bigger pieces in place.

There'll be lots of time for nit-picking later, but for now:

Well done!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, RedElf said:

Well, a few episodes ago Vader did beat down Obi-Wan and toss him into a fire, so I'd say that counts as an L.  That being said, Obi-Wan has never lost when he's fully engaged because he's able to hold out long enough until Vader's impatience/overconfidence creates an opening to exploit.

Oh, and the Jedi Order collapsed, so Vader probably counts that as a general win as well.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, RedElf said:

I think he was referring to the battle over Anakin's soul. Darth Vader has never surrendered his possession of Anakin, despite Obi Wan's efforts to turn him. 

• Love 1

I'll give the limited series a thumbs up. If it comes back for a second season and I have to reconsider who knows. Star Wars always has the same reaction with me--it's the first movie I saw in the theater and I'm always immediately consumed by nostalgia and childlike wonder. Later on I can look at the plot holes and mcguffins and apply some adult sensibilities...but for right now, I'm really liking the finale. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, tkc said:

Among the host of thoughts running through my head after watching this episode is just how formidable a task the showrunners set themselves in producing this show. Just a few challenges they had to contend with:

• Writing a true "sandwich" story, having to accommodate pre-existing backstory and follow-up, while bridging the narrative gap.
  • Finding a way to deepen the story of two of the most iconic Star Wars characters and their relationship.
  • Including the background of the canon animated stories, without alienating viewers who were familiar only with the live-action films.
  • Finding a child actor who would be up to the task of playing the younger version of a beloved character.

It could have gone wrong in so many ways for Deborah Chow and her team, but they pulled it off -- telling a new character-driven story that fit new, small, detail pieces into the jigsaw puzzle that is the Skywalker Saga, while leaving the bigger pieces in place.

There'll be lots of time for nit-picking later, but for now:

Well done!

I agree with all these points. My hubby didn’t like Obi-Wan as much as I did because he was constantly comparing it to Mandalorian. I love Mandalorian too, but that show had much more creative freedom as it was mostly using new characters in an established universe. Obi-Wan had to be very careful with staying true to characters that have been in several movies and shows.

I didn’t think I would like the child Leia storyline, in part because I still remember the child actor playing Anakin in Phantom Menace, but the young actress playing Leia was very good. The excellent costuming and hair also helped as we had versions of outfits from the original trilogy reminding us of our adult Princess.

I enjoyed this show in a different way than Mandalorian, but I still enjoyed it very much. For me, Obi-Wan is like eating my favorite ice cream while Mandalorian is eating a fancy dessert I have never tried before but end up liking.

• Like 2
  • Love 9
(edited)
11 hours ago, RedElf said:

No, not even in Clone Wars. That's why I was really invested in this show that Kenobi needed to beat him badly. He's never lost. I don't think the prior meeting with the fire is a loss, because Vader was spooked out by all the flames to just walk through and finish him off. At that point, I don't think he could have finished off Kenobi of his own volition. He still only buried him in the rocks. Now, being beaten so badly and shown that he's still a learner, I can buy in the final duel that he did want to finish him off. Vader was stewing over finding Kenobi for a decade, finds him, gets literally torn apart, and then doesn't see him for another ten years. 

I don't think Ahsoka lost in their first meeting for similar reasons.

I don't know if I'm reading too much into it, but in looking back on the Anakin/Vader monologue, wow, is this guy seriously mentally disturbed. He's talking about two different people. Looking even farther back, he's taken from his mom, gets a new dad who he sees eviscerated, gets a new brother who then doesn't stick up for him repeatedly, then a new dad who says it's ok to like Padme and be angry, then goes and kills a bunch of kids. Not to mention a little sis who walks away from him after he actually did stick up for her. 

He never really had a chance to grow up. His whole adolescence and young adult life was literal war. 

I actually don't think "Vader killed Anakin". Vader has to continually beat him down with his hate and anger. That's why in the end, Luke is able to get through to Anakin. Which even gives more credit to Luke, and a ton more weight to 'I'm a Jedi like my father before me'.

I don't know if that's what Chow et al., were going for, but they really stuck the landing on the entire arc of Anakin. 

I generally agree with the dialogue and direction of the prequels, but I certainly never faulted HC or whomever played the kid. I think it's kind of ironic or fitting that the actor seems to be getting his own form of redemption that we know Anakin will finally get. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, Llywela said:

I'm with you on not going after her, although Owen was pretty beat up and may not have made it outside in time to see which direction they went. Beru was in better shape, though, and could have given chase. When she brought Luke back, they all just stood there for a moment because they thought he might be dead and were frozen with the horror of it. Only when Luke moved and they knew he was alive were they shaken out of it.

That goes with a lot of this show's blocking and making clear where everyone and everything is with respect to the other. There was a lot of amateurish film making. The last episode with the tunnel and the hole in the ceiling and the second space ship that we never saw.

I'm still not clear why Reva went after Luke. How would she know about Luke's connection to Anakin? Or did she go after him because of Obi-Wan? Simply because she figured out that he was force-sensitive that Obi-Wan kept hidden?

(edited)
12 hours ago, supposebly said:

i don't believe she does...

from the various movies (i've read the novelizations, but will stick to the movies) we know:

anakin and padme secretly marry on naboo. palpatine and officiant are the people that know this other than a&p. (4 people total)

padme is pregnant.  she tells anakin only.  anakin tells palpatine only. (3 people total)

obi-wan figures it out right before mustifar. (4)

yoda and bail find out at medical centre.  (6) 

padme dies and her funeral has it look like the youngling(s) dies with her. (7 people i reckon on the wedding officiant in this count)

after padme's death, she isn't talking, and i can't reckon on vader, palpatine, or the officiant talking about anakin and padme's relationship.  yoda, kenobi, and bail are not talking about it and there are thousands of orphans from the various wars and hunts of the empire.

why would reva think that luke is vader's child and not just a generic force sensitive child.  she know there is a thing called the path that is relocating force sensitives, and that obi-wan is with them.  at the point that reva hears the message, she has been wounded by vader and is thinking that obi-wan set her up.  she hears a message that states that bail is worried about the children, and luke, one of the children is on tatooine.

i believe she went to strike at a child under obi-wan's protection to hurt obi-wan.;  not that that child was  vader's.

Edited by bigseach
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Also, in things I didn't realize I needed/wanted from this series, the Star Wars version of a camel. The creature (I have no idea what it's called) appealed tome. It fits in so well with the environment, and I liked the way it played with the iconography of the western (the hero riding off at the end on his horse). 

In things I was hoping would happen but didn't: I didn't want the twins to meet each other, or for any of the characters to meet Han, but I did want to see the Falcon make a cameo appearance docked somewhere. 

It's called an Eopie

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Reva was a lot of things, but she wasn't dumb. I figured she put two and two together and realized the 'boy' was of value so much so that a senator was communicating to Kenobi about it. I mean, that seems enough. You can't have Reva gallivanting around the galaxy knowing that Vader has a son. For all she knew he was Kenobi's son being raised with a family because he was in exile. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Reva was a lot of things, but she wasn't dumb. I figured she put two and two together and realized the 'boy' was of value so much so that a senator was communicating to Kenobi about it. I mean, that seems enough. You can't have Reva gallivanting around the galaxy knowing that Vader has a son. For all she knew he was Kenobi's son being raised with a family because he was in exile. 

But why would she be so hellbent on revenge against Kenobi, when we learned last episode, that her rage was directed toward Vader all along? Plus, the juxtaposition of her lifting her weapon against Luke against Vader raising his weapon to her, felt very much like she knowingly intended to murder his son, the way he murdered her Jedi family. If she knew that Luke was important to Obi Wan, why wouldn't she just kidnap him, and use him as bait, as she did with Leia. I think it's a pretty big leap for her to know the truth (and survive the series!) though, since concluding that Anakin had children is a pretty big stretch, since as someone has already stated, only a few people even knew he was involved with Padme.