Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: The Train

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

*cough* Backdoor pilot *cough*

I remember we all wondered that about an opening scene showing a family in a house that was built where the burned Pearson house used to be.  I had the same reaction to Marcus' family...did I record the wrong show?

• Love 1
(edited)

When we first saw Marcus's family, I thought we had jumped forward instead of backward.  I wasn't paying attention to the model of car they were using.  I thought it was Deja, Malik, the baby Deja is currently carrying, plus two more siblings.

ETA: I also agree with others that the train creeped me out.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I’ve known a few people who held on for a particular person or event and passed as soon as they saw that person or the event is over. I know someone who got married at her dying mom’s bedside and her mom died the next day. My grandfather lived out of the country and held on until me, my mother and my brother got there to see him; he died a couple of days later. I can absolutely believe Rebecca could hold on until all of her kids could see her.

When I would go visit my parents’ years ago I would usually go see my grandmother before I headed back to the state I live in.  I went back there MLK weekend and before I left my grandmother's house, she gave me a hug.  This is a woman who would hug you if you initiated the hug, but she never initiated a hug.  The following Tuesday she had a stroke and for three weeks lived.  I kept asking my mom if I needed to come home and she kept telling me no.  On the 3rd Tuesday I woke up and felt like I needed to go back to see her. I went into work and told my bosses that I was going back to their state and would be back in the office on Thursday.  I saw my grandmother that afternoon and then went back to my parent’s house. About 4:00 in the morning we received a call that my grandmother had died.  I sometimes wonder was she waiting for me to come in to see her before passing. 

When Rebecca said she was waiting on someone I knew she was waiting for Kate.   I think a person who is in the dying phase but needs to see someone, can hold on until that person arrives.  

• Love 6
On 5/19/2022 at 8:07 PM, izabella said:

Kevin will be Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, and Cassidy will run the VA. 

Kate will be writing intergalactic curriculum.  The writers have already tried to sell us on state and international curriculum.  Outer space must be next.

• LOL 14
On 5/19/2022 at 5:22 AM, debraran said:

Randall's kids, Sophie and Nicky and Toby

I would watch that.  Somehow squeeze Beth in there, too. Bring Edie.  I don't like Nicky, but I like Edie.

I'm disappointed that we're missing the chance to say good-bye to the younger actors who have played present-day Malik, Deja, Tess, and Annie.  Also, the actors who played teen/college Kate, Kevin, Randall, and Beth.  We've seen them for years, and they all kind of got dumped to sprint to Rebecca's deathbed.

i miss seeing them in scenes beyond glimpses of Annie and College Beth on the train.

• Love 3

I think it's sad that they didn't factor in Kyle.   Agreed that they should have made Jack and Kyle meet her together.    One thing I don't like about the storyline is that they make Kate be the one Rebecca is closest to and trusts the most when Kate was a nasty bitch to Rebecca up until she got sick basically.   In fact that whole family fangirls Kate and I don't get it at all.

I'm also in the they did Miguel dirty camp.   I think it was supposed to be that she just truly didn't remember the marriage anymore but poor Miguel.   He wasn't number one to anyone in his life and that's really sad.  I honestly think he was at least as good of a husband as Jack was, better even.   It takes a very big man to care for someone sick like that day in and day out, most people couldn't do it.  

• Like 1
  • Love 21
4 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

I'm disappointed that we're missing the chance to say good-bye to the younger actors who have played present-day Malik, Deja, Tess, and Annie.  Also, the actors who played teen/college Kate, Kevin, Randall, and Beth.  We've seen them for years, and they all kind of got dumped to sprint to Rebecca's deathbed.

Wait for Tuesday. Not a spoiler, I'm just sure we get to say goodbye to the actors. All of them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I love how a full term baby who strangled on his cord because the doctor didn't do a C Section was just pushed aside and even Jack didn't give it a speech, funeral or hold him. Then a doctor says "Make lemonade" and they take Randall. I love the show but hated from the beginning how they handled that. I had kids around when Rebecca did, multiples, that was beyond odd. They were way too emotional and sentimental especially Jack to disregard Kyle. Rebecca was ill and hormonal and sad and couldn't make decisions right then. But they wouldn't correct it later either.

I don't know how it was 40 years ago, but I think they give you an option of holding the dead infant or not. Maybe Jack and Rebecca just couldn't do that. I do remember how sad they both seemed when talking to Dr K. in the "Kyle" episode. I just think the show didn't want to belabor it. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, lexiexx said:

In fact that whole family fangirls Kate and I don't get it at all.

She's based on the show creator's sister. It was never going to go any other way.

Unfortunately the tack this season took with her had the exact opposite effect on me. I never want to see this Kate or her zero of a husband again.

• Love 10

I want them to wrap up the last episode Fast Times at Ridgemont High style where we get a biography for all of them so we can see how ridiculous they all are. 

Of course, it's TIU, so half of that time will just be stories that go years and years into the lunch lady at the big 3's elementary school, the Ophthalmologist who gave Randall his first pair of glasses, the guy who worked at the local pet shop, even though they didn't actually even go there for a pet or anything...

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

She's based on the show creator's sister. It was never going to go any other way.

Madison is the showrunner's real-life wife and Kate is based on Fogelman's sister? LOL no wonder the Pearsons never had any friends outside the family.

Edited by LexieLily
  • LOL 10

I didn’t assume that Deja and Malik are still together. Because of Randall’s Pearson Speech to Deja when they broke up about how if it was meant to be they’d eventually end up together, I figured they got back together later on, maybe after college.

• Love 4
On 5/19/2022 at 6:31 PM, Eliot said:

As an aside, even during the late stages of his illness, while he could still speak, my dad was able to describe his childhood home in precise detail, including where everyone slept.

Yeah, the childhood recalls are the strongest. And for whatever reason my mom can sing a whole catalog of songs in Spanish from the serenades she and her sisters used to get, as well as a few love poems. She loves music though, and I think that's been a great help through the years--I play her the music she likes as much as I can. But anything else that she can remember is basically from childhood. 

• Love 3
On 5/19/2022 at 11:02 AM, smartymarty said:

I was surprised that everyone went to bed despite being told that Rebecca likely would not survive the night. Seems they would do an all-night vigil (as only Randall and Kevin did). I certainly would have stayed up with my husband while his parent was dying.

This threw me off as well.  I’ve lost way too many close relatives recently, and immediate family was there round the clock once we were told it was the end. It helps to have comfort and support of others.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/19/2022 at 9:42 AM, Violetgoblin6 said:

Yes. I think in my case I expected so so much. The whole Mandy Moore throwing up thing and Chrissy Metz being devastated. I cried for Miguel and last week. I didn't really cry this week. 

I do have a question: why was Rebecca looking above Beth and at the light behind her, during Beth's speech?

In my experience, that’s part of the dying process.  Just five months ago with my Grandmother, she stared blankly into a corner of the ceiling for a couple of days before she passed. The Hospice nurse said it was completely normal.  She didn’t look right at any of us when we talked to her the last 2-3 days before she passed.

I didn’t love the show, but the dying scenes were realistic given what I’ve experienced.

Edited by CSunshine76
  • Love 3
On 5/18/2022 at 11:33 AM, debbie311 said:

And, like, he was the ONLY doctor on duty in the ER of a major city hospital?  Please.

My sentiments, also. As I live very close to Pittsburgh, and the city is loaded with excellent hospitals, one, practically, on every block in the Oakland area of the city.  And, if it were one of the big 2 hospitals, they would have been overrun with residents, and interns.

Also, very early on in the series, I found a couple of glaring mistakes that only someone from PA would catch.  One was when Rebecca went to a convenience store to buy beer before watching a Steeler game, realistically, beer wasn't able to be purchased anywhere other than a beer distributor, which were always closed on Sundays, as were our State Stores, until 2007, Sheetz, being the first. PA has always had antiquated liquor laws. So that timeline would have been way off.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

I don't know how it was 40 years ago, but I think they give you an option of holding the dead infant or not. Maybe Jack and Rebecca just couldn't do that. I do remember how sad they both seemed when talking to Dr K. in the "Kyle" episode. I just think the show didn't want to belabor it. 

You could, of course, it was your baby. Rebecca didn't want to, she was trying to digest just having a traumatic delivery and losing one of her babies. Kyle was full term, alive until delivery and I personally couldn't have left my baby there  but Jack, his personality, I couldn't see him not seeing Kyle. Maybe he did and they didn't show it, but really could you see Jack just saying "no I don't want to see my son" He died, if he died an hour or day later, what is the difference?

They didn't want to belabor it because although this show is all about emotions and tears and all that, Randall had to come but for the life of me, I can't see after losing a baby wanting to take another home that quickly. I'm glad they at least showed how she had some issues with bonding because for pete's sake she just had a hard delivery and the son she carried and felt for 9 months was left at the hosptial. I never could wrap my head around it. And poor Randall never made them "triplets" Kevin and Kate always said "twins" and then we had the drama with William and his wife and all the rest

As far a Rebecca only remembering her younger self, I would hope when you die with dementia, you remember everything and feel hope when some who witness dying, have more uplifting stories. You are healed I pray and not a train with dementia. It was fine for TV but realistically I hope it's better than that.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 7
On 5/19/2022 at 6:31 PM, Eliot said:

I’m with you 100%. The show’s glossing over of  most of the real ravages of this disease was a colossal blunder. I get they don’t want to show all the terrible parts, but the way they set it up you’d think having Alzheimer’s is just becoming mildly forgetful and totally docile. 

As an aside, even during the late stages of his illness, while he could still speak, my dad was able to describe his childhood home in precise detail, including where everyone slept.

It also glosses over the financial ravages normal families without super wealthy kids suffer when caregivers. There really isn't a lot of help out there. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I know the writers like to bang the viewers over the head with irony and butterfly effects and the magic of Pearsonality, but having Marcus develop a treatment for Alzheimer’s meant nothing to any character on the show if they didn’t know the connection. Although it would be kind of funny if he developed the clinical trial that would’ve cured Rebecca had she only listened to her real favorite.

I liked when Dr K said to Rebecca “I was your doctor one time” implying something like “I really shouldn’t be making up this big a part of your memories. Go sit down with the nice fella Miquel for a bit.”

I’d like to see a follow up series where Magical St Jack travels the countryside imparting his lemonade wisdom to troubled souls along the way, Kung Fu style. Who is then immediately thrown out on his ass because that phrase makes no sense, is not as deep as he thinks it is and can’t be applied to every life challenge. 

Edited by Johnny Dollar
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

I know the writers like to bang the viewers over the head with irony and butterfly effects and the magic of Pearsonality, but having Marcus develop a treatment for Alzheimer’s meant nothing to any character on the show if they didn’t know the connection. Although it would be kind of funny if he developed the clinical trial that would’ve cured Rebecca had she only listened to her real favorite.

I liked when Dr K said to Rebecca “I was your doctor one time” implying something like “I really shouldn’t be making up this big a part of your memories. Go sit down with the nice fella Miquel for a bit.”

I’d like to see a follow up series where Magical St Jack travels the countryside imparting his lemonade wisdom to troubled souls along the way, Kung Fu style. Who is then immediately thrown out on his ass because that phrase makes no sense, is not as deep as he thinks it is and can’t be applied to every life challenge. 

I always thought that the lemons into lemonade was a dumb saying.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, cameron said:

I always thought that the lemons into lemonade was a dumb saying.

Agreed, also I feel like people on this show find it inspirational in life changing way and regard it as if they never heard it before.  Haven't these people ever been to a yard sale or something where you see it for 25 cents on a cross stitch made by someones memaw?  

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

OK, but I guess I wanted specifics. Are Fogelman and his sister twins? Is/was she struggling with a weight issue? Was she his personal assistant at some time? Or is it just that they're close, which... isn't unique for a brother and sister.

No not twins that he ever said, just that she had a weight problem and knew what it was like to be invisible or not treated the same. It doesn't seem to be the same weight but you can have similar issues. She's also had a few children and seems very happy in the many photos she posts on social media. I hope so. She must get asked about the show from people who know who she is all the time. lol I bet she'll be happy to not be asked as many questions.

https://www.pinterest.com/fogelman/_saved/

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
On 5/17/2022 at 9:23 PM, cardigirl said:

I thought the episode was pretty clear. Like everyone else, I thought the researcher was the father of Deja's baby until Malik showed up in the end, and I'm not mad about it. But at no time was I confused about the family in the car accident, or who all those people were. 

I loved the idea of Rebecca revisiting her life by going through all the cars in the train with William. I have to admit, this episode made me cry. I think the writers did a pretty good job of showing life is a circle.

And the seasons, they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return, we can only look
Behind, from where we came
And go round and round and round, in the circle game

Loved that Kevin's painting was there too. That episode from the first season is one of my favorites. 

I'm off to have a good cry!

Kevin's painting episode is still one of my favorites too.

I loved the episode. I cried when Beth said her good bye-the I've got it from here gutted it me. Maybe because I'm raising 2 boys and I hope someday they have someone who will have it together for them when I'm gone. I regrouped and then was sobbing for the last 5-6 minutes.

I liked the touch with the family in the car accident: (1) it's a consistent approach for this show to work in another family/character and slowly reveal why; (2) I liked the idea of Jack transferring Dr. K's lemon advice (which made me cry in episode 1) to another family who needed it. . .and seeing how it carried forward for them.. . . Nice touch. 

I could not get over how much adult Deja sounds like teenage Deja. This show is amazing with the casting. 

• Love 7

Is that hospital flashback from the 18th century? Leave it to TIU to imply that one patient died because one doctor was attending another patient. Puuuuhlease.... 

If my son was in surgery and some greasy-haired stranger with bloody bandages smelling like smoke walked up and told me "whelp, when life gives you lemons ... ", there would be repercussions. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I also agree with others that the train creeped me out.

In what way? Several have posted this, but I don’t get it. The train itself is creepy, or the concept of moving through it as a passage to the afterlife, or the afterlife itself?

2 hours ago, cameron said:

I always thought that the lemons into lemonade was a dumb saying

It makes perfect sense. Something unpleasant happens to you (you get sour, bad-tasting lemons), so try to find something good in it (turn the sour lemons into delicious lemonade). I feel dumb explaining it, but it seems like some don’t get what it means. 

Now I do agree that it’s kind of weird that the show acts like Dr. K and/or Jack invented the saying, or even the concept (make something good out of something bad). That lemonade saying has been around forever.

For those who eyeroll the idea of Randall being president, remember that that also means Beth will be first lady . See? I made lemonade out of an idea that some see as lemons.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Shermie said:

In what way? Several have posted this, but I don’t get it. The train itself is creepy, or the concept of moving through it as a passage to the afterlife, or the afterlife itself?

For me, Rebecca was creepy.  That smile and her eyes were creepy.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Shermie said:

The train had a very foreboding vibe to me...like an Agatha Christie vibe.  It was dark and gloomy, and it was already a dark event that Rebecca was dying.  As Rebecca was guided down the train toward the last car, the space felt tight and claustrophobic to me.  When William left her in the room and the door closed, that room would be the last place I'd want to be, even with Jack in the room.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Shermie said:

It makes perfect sense. Something unpleasant happens to you (you get sour, bad-tasting lemons), so try to find something good in it (turn the sour lemons into delicious lemonade). I feel dumb explaining it, but it seems like some don’t get what it means. 

Now I do agree that it’s kind of weird that the show acts like Dr. K and/or Jack invented the saying, or even the concept (make something good out of something bad). That lemonade saying has been around forever.

For those who eyeroll the idea of Randall being president, remember that that also means Beth will be first lady . See? I made lemonade out of an idea that some see as lemons.

Actually knew what the lemon saying was about.  Just thought it was a dumb cliche.

• Love 4

Things I wish I'd seen:  Rebecca turns over in bed and both Jack and Miguel are there.  She gets a twinkle in her eye knowing that heaven may be more fun than she'd imagined.

JH being both Kevin and Kyle on the train because if Rebecca can age down, Kyle can age up.

Kate presenting her Super Curriculum to the Queen, who would be about 110 years old, who responds "I was waiting for you".

• LOL 11
17 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Unfortunately the tack this season took with her had the exact opposite effect on me. I never want to see this Kate or her zero of a husband again.

I didn’t know she’s based on the creator’s sister. I hope his sister is nicer than Kate, who I’ve often thought is kind of an asshole. Kevin acknowledged that he’d given Rebecca trouble growing up; did Kate? Because she was pretty mean to Rebecca until a few seasons ago.

5 hours ago, Bklyndeb said:

It also glosses over the financial ravages normal families without super wealthy kids suffer when caregivers. There really isn't a lot of help out there. 

Yeah, the only time anyone has mentioned that medical/special needs cost money in America  is when Toby mentioned how much a piece of tech for little Jack would cost when he talked about how the SF job would enable him to provide for his family. People who don’t have independently wealthy members of the family quite literally go bankrupt caring for family members with Alzheimer’s. Since the Pearsons have Kevin (and probably to a lesser extent, Randall) I’m not surprised that it didn’t come up here - it’s been established that Kevin is generous with his wealth.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

It makes perfect sense. Something unpleasant happens to you (you get sour, bad-tasting lemons), so try to find something good in it (turn the sour lemons into delicious lemonade).

But you can't make lemonade from lemons alone, you also need water (i.e. the basic necessities) and a lot of sugar (i.e. good things in your life). That's why I don't like the saying.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I Yeah, the only time anyone has mentioned that medical/special needs cost money in America  is when Toby mentioned how much a piece of tech for little Jack would cost when he talked about how the SF job would enable him to provide for his family. People who don’t have independently wealthy members of the family quite literally go bankrupt caring for family members with Alzheimer’s. Since the Pearsons have Kevin (and probably to a lesser extent, Randall) I’m not surprised that it didn’t come up here - it’s been established that Kevin is generous with his wealth.

You're correct that the only time the show itself referenced any financial issue was Toby regarding little Jack, but on this forum, I did raise the the issue of Pearson financial privilege earlier this season, in the thread for Episode 7, "Taboo." Here's a link to my comments. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

You're correct that the only time the show itself referenced any financial issue was Toby regarding little Jack, but on this forum, I did raise the the issue of Pearson financial privilege earlier this season, in the thread for Episode 7, "Taboo." Here's a link to my comments. 

That reminds me of a guy I would see at the PT place I work. His wife had a stroke and other issues and he was barely holding it together. Every time they would say he should get more help, he'd say he couldn't afford it. Then he got sick. I agree, Kevin's endless money supply is nice but not many people have it as easy as he did.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Yes, I recall. I participated in that discussion. When I said “anyone,” I meant any of the Pearsons.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Shermie said:

I think people get it; it’s not that hard to figure out, even if it weren’t a well known cliche. Doesn’t mean people can’t think it’s trite. Especially when you’re talking about a dead infant.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Eliot said:

I think people get it; it’s not that hard to figure out, even if it weren’t a well known cliche. Doesn’t mean people can’t think it’s trite. Especially when you’re talking about a dead infant.

Such an overused expression.

• Love 4

I don’t recall Deja’s guy having a limp when he was younger.  Did I miss something?  Or is the doctor boyfriend a different guy?  This season has been so disappointing, with it’s ridiculous multi episode arc about Toby and Kate breaking up!  I would much rather had seen how little Jack became such a famous musician/singer/entertainer that he would fill up the Hollywood Bowl.  Are they planning a spin off about little blind Jack and his rise to fame?  

1 hour ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

I don’t recall Deja’s guy having a limp when he was younger.  Did I miss something?  Or is the doctor boyfriend a different guy?  This season has been so disappointing, with it’s ridiculous multi episode arc about Toby and Kate breaking up!  I would much rather had seen how little Jack became such a famous musician/singer/entertainer that he would fill up the Hollywood Bowl.  Are they planning a spin off about little blind Jack and his rise to fame?  

The Doctor with a limp is the same person as the kid with the soccer ball on the backseat of the wrecked car.  Deja is pregnant with Maliks child.  He was in the restaurant working

I wonder if Rebecca was even given the option of holding baby Kyle.  She was under anesthesia for his birth and woke up to them telling her he was dead.  Jack and Dr. K had already decided on his replacement by then, right?

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I wonder if Rebecca was even given the option of holding baby Kyle.  She was under anesthesia for his birth and woke up to them telling her he was dead.  Jack and Dr. K had already decided on his replacement by then, right?

That's how I remember it. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I think she initially said no but Dr K should have encouraged it later. Jack though, no excuse for him.  They never liked " replacement" but I never liked lemonade being just take this guy home with you so you'll have 3 cribs filled. So weird. If they did it a week or so later, I'd buy it a little but then, no. I can't buy either that neither wanted to see their son. It was 80's. my hospital and my sister was OB nurse understood even then, the grief is worked through better saying goodbye. She carried him for almost 9 months. He was full term. When I had my twins, I couldn't imagine leaving one of them there and then taking another baby home. It worked for a TV show. He should have had a funeral or something to say Kyle existed. The show treated stillborn like a plot device which is their prerogative.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yeah, different guy. Marcus vs Malik.

Thank you!  I can’t believe I missed that!  It was all too confusing!   I thought the doctor/researcher was Malik.  Especially since Deja was also in medical school.  So, then the point of bringing in the new character of the doctor who found a cure for Alzheimer’s was to show that Jack’s death had meaning because the boy who was saved that night found a cure for the disease that killed Rebecca?  Would have been better if it had been Malik, IMO.  Crap episode …

On 5/20/2022 at 5:43 PM, Ohmo said:

When we first saw Marcus's family, I thought we had jumped forward instead of backward.  I wasn't paying attention to the model of car they were using.  I thought it was Deja, Malik, the baby Deja is currently carrying, plus two more siblings.

ETA: I also agree with others that the train creeped me out.

At first, I thought that too!  Whole episode was scrambled.  At least I know now that I’m not crazy … because I see others were also confused!  Thank goodness for this site!  I feel like I need to watch that whole episode again just to see what I missed.  But … I … just … can’t …

• Love 2