Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: May Day

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The 118 races to the rescue when the 9-1-1 Call Center goes up in flames. Bobby risks his life to save a trapped May and Claudette. Buck and Eddie work together to help an injured electrician. Chimney and his brother team up as firefighters for the first time.

Airdate: 05/02/2022

Claudette's back.  Yay,   Said no one.

Am I the only one seeing Rhonda from Melrose Place?   Not only does she look a lot like her, she sounds exactly like her.  I half expect her to talk about having an aerobics class to lead and reveal that Rae Dawn Chong is her arch nemesis.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Yeah, I don't actually care what her tragic backstory is going to be. Her arrogance is way OTT. I loathe people who are nasty and try to couch it in 'tough love' when called on it. May had no business saying [Claudette] was right  about her wanting credit. The bitch totally brushed her off and then took credit for the idea - there was no 'teamwork' about it.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 11
(edited)

Umm. I know these guys are outfitted with indelible plot armor, but a fuckton of concrete fell directly on them, and Bobby shielded May with his body and both came out completely unscathed?

ETA: Okay maybe not completely unscathed. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think Bobby has worked hard to redeem himself for the tragedy of his past. I'm glad he was able to save May.

Ooh, now there's a plot twist. Sorry not sorry that the character is gone, but kudos to all those who called something hinky with Monday.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 13

I know that whatshisname guy probably did something to Claudette to make Hen look like the one who was negligent, but I don't care.  I'm just glad Claudette is gone for good.

No way in hell May and Bobby come out of that pileup basically unscathed, although maybe his MRI will show something. 

I like Chim's brother and I'm glad he saw the light and is looking for another career.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

The   greatest    thing  about  this   episode   was    that   there   was  NO MADDIE  in any  way, shape  or   form.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

May is becoming more like her mother every day.

And I think something has genuinely healed in Bobby being called 'Dad'.

Loved seeing the 118 race for Cap.

No more Claudette and it was even an interesting send off!

Welcome back Firefighter Diaz and fare thee well Firefighter Han.

Good callback on Josh having fire isses and trusting cute guy issues. 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

And I think something has genuinely healed in Bobby being called 'Dad'.

Best line of the night, May saying: "I've got two dads and you're one of them"

Not too many kids of any generation would have feelings like that for a step-parent.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think Bobby has worked hard to redeem himself for the tragedy of his past.

I agree. 

I got confused in the beginning, when I thought Lucy was giving orders, until I realized there was another station with a blonde female captain on site. I'd like to know more about her! 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

Was I the only one who thought Carson was initially giving off vibes of "potential terrorist" instead of "potential love interest"? 

Me too.  Figured he was going to gas the place or something.

• Love 8
47 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Great episode but how many more times will that dispatch center come under attack?

Crazy show but I love it anyway....

Since it looks effectively destroyed wonder where they will be next week ?  Hopefully a fire-proof, bomb-proof, terrorist-proof building with armed guards and metal detectors.

• LOL 8
  • Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

Was I the only one who thought Carson was initially giving off vibes of "potential terrorist" instead of "potential love interest"? 

Nope! I was sure of that. 

Edited by Mediocre Gatsby
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 5/2/2022 at 10:40 PM, Bulldog said:

Same. I totally thought that Josh was flirting with another whackjob out to murder everyone. But I really like Carson. They wrote him pitch-perfectly. I hope we're about to see Josh get a little romance. He's earned it.

I love Bobby coming full circle. That look when he heard May was still inside was something. The way he switched off and just handed everything to the other fire captain was good. The thought of losing another kid to a fire in exactly the kind of environment as when his family died (no alarms, no sprinklers) was written all over his face.

I was thinking about how many times one member of the Grant-Nash family has had to save another and then I realized that's the whole show.

I knew when we saw Claudette again that she would be dead by the end of the episode then I was pissed that she got out alive. (Thanks Jonah for fixing that problem!) Now let's figure out what's going on there. Is he experimenting on people in the ambulance? I'm genuinely curious to see where this goes.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

Am I the only one seeing Rhonda from Melrose Place?   Not only does she look a lot like her, she sounds exactly like her.  I half expect her to talk about having an aerobics class to lead and reveal that Rae Dawn Chong is her arch nemesis.  

Nope, you're not the only one. It's the same actress. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Maverick said:

It’s the same actress. I alway think of her as one of Theo’s friends’ girlfriends from The Cosby Show - she was a drama student and very … dramatic. “If truth … shall be my companion in the FLAMES … so be it.”

• Love 5

I obviously don't pay much attention to the credits because I never saw here name.   I haven't seen her since Melrose Place so I didn't realize she was still acting. 

11 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I know that whatshisname guy probably did something to Claudette to make Hen look like the one who was negligent, but I don't care.  I'm just glad Claudette is gone for good.

Kudos to (the other) Vanessa Williams for taking on the role of Claudette this season and not skimping on the bitchy aspects. And nice plot arc resolution. I mean, if they had kept Claudette around as May's new bff, it would have diluted the story. 

11 hours ago, scruff said:

The   greatest    thing  about  this   episode   was    that   there   was  NO MADDIE  in any  way, shape  or   form.  

Good point. I didn't even think of her once, even with Chimney in a major part.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Yeah, I don't actually care what her tragic backstory is going to be. Her arrogance is way OTT. I loathe people who are nasty and try to couch it in 'tough love' when called on it. May had no business saying [Claudette] was right  about her wanting credit. The bitch totally brushed her off and then took credit for the idea - there was no 'teamwork' about it.

So, also not sorry that Claudette ain't coming back, but I have to give the actress credit for playing a repellent character so well. With the situation with rerouting the chase people - the thing May got mad about - if that had been reversed, Claudette would have been on her and reporting her to a supervisor for taking credit for the idea. I was also rolling my eyes at Claudette referencing May as a "new" employee when May has been working there for close to two years.

An aside - my workplace has a "relax room" and its not used to let two squabbling teammates bitch at each other, you go there when you need a "tap out" because a customer has upset you or unloaded a lot of vile racism on you, and you need a quiet break.

While I think its fairly obvious that Monday is indeed an Angel of Death serial murderer, the previews look pretty ham handed and Hen's straight up hostility towards him from the get go won't help

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

This was a surprisingly well done episode, although the shot of Bobby and May trying to outrun a collapsing roof was straight out of Indiana Jones. Surprised there wasn't a shot of Bobby reaching out and grabbing his helmet before the final piece of concrete fell.

I did like the part where Bobby referred to May as "his kid" and how it came full circle for May to call him her dad. They have never really explored how the kids felt about their mother marrying Bobby. We should have had a bit more growth in that area before getting to this point.

I've been wondering where they were going with New Guy EMT once Chim came back and he was sent off to another house, but still on the show. Of course he has to turn out to be a villain, because God forbid this show does anything surprising. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I've been wondering where they were going with New Guy EMT once Chim came back and he was sent off to another house, but still on the show. Of course he has to turn out to be a villain, because God forbid this show does anything surprising. 

I hope he won't, though. Just to prove Hen wrong. I just can't stand her. Thankfully her wife is very likeable.

Also, I wish there would be a suprise im the end, especially now that everyone od convinced that he is a villan.

I didn't like Claudette but her death felt anticlimactic.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I did like the part where Bobby referred to May as "his kid" and how it came full circle for May to call him her dad. They have never really explored how the kids felt about their mother marrying Bobby. We should have had a bit more growth in that area before getting to this point.

I remember he picked up Harry from school and the teacher called him Mr. Grant, and Bobby corrected her and said he was Harry’s stepfather. The kids (and Michael) have always seemed to like Bobby but you’re right, we didn’t really hear how they felt about the marriage (were they there? It was in a judge’s office, right?). I thought it was so sweet that May called him Dad.

• Love 4

I wasn't a fan of Claudette (I didn't like how she was treating May, who is at LEAST half her age so it really felt wrong) so I can't say I'm sad she's dead. They tried giving her a half assed redemption arc this episode, even though she was provoking May earlier, and it just didn't work for me. I know the show wanted me to feel bad for Claudette, but I really didn't. So good riddance. 

I'm sure the show wanted us to believe that Josh's new love interest could also end up being bad, but I'm glad he wasn't. And he was funny, to boot! I think this guy will be good for Josh, and it's good for the show to show that Josh isn't doomed in his relationships.

The Bobby/May plot was really well done. This season has really been rough, but this episode was nice mostly for Bobby/May. I wish we had gotten way more of Bobby and Athena's kids over the series. It was nice to see May and Bobby officially refer to each other as dad/my kid.

I figured Jonah was up to some shady stuff. I don't blame Hen for being wary of the guy.

As nice as it was to see Albert again, poor guy was barely a firefighter onscreen before he decided to already quit. I wish we had the chance to get more Albert, because exploring him maybe not wanting to be a firefighter anymore would have been more interesting than Lucy/Taylor glaring at each other. Which, speaking of, still a dumb plot with the cheating. 

Eddie is going to be a firefighter again. Good, can you kick Lucy out then? She doesn't really fit in with the team. I'm trying real hard to like her, truly I am (and she's not at fault for the cheating aspect; they made sure Buck was ruined for that plot) but she's written so horribly that it's hard to connect with her.

• Love 7

I’d rather Lucy stay than Eddie come back tbh. The only thing he’s good for is being the only character Buck has romantic chem with and they won’t go there so he’s useless to me. 

How in the fuck did Taylor figure out Lucy was the woman Buck kissed? Taylor is another character they should just drop imo. Let Albert replace her lol.

I got a little teary at the team saving Bobby and at May calling him Dad. I don’t even particularly care about Bobby but I hope the MRI doesn’t reveal anything too serious.

I think everyone saw Jonah being shady coming but I’m still interested to see where exactly that goes. 

• Love 6

I have never liked Claudette, but while I don't think she deserved to die, I am also not going to miss her. Kudos to the actress for playing someone so loathsome so well, I was rooting for May to slap that smug condescending smirk right off her face. She was such an asshole, with such a nonsensical hatred for May for the crime of being younger, that even when she made the occasional valid point, like May clearly wanting to go to college, I still couldn't stand her.

Bobby calling May "his kid" and then May calling Bobby dad was a really sweet way to bookend the episode. You could really tell how much May calling him dad meant to Bobby, plus getting to save her from a fire the way he couldn't save his own family, you could really feel something in him healing just a bit more. 

I am annoyed that they decided to make the new guy sketchy, validating Hen's petty dislike of him. This story should have been about Hen realizing how wring she had been to be so pissy with someone just because they aren't Chim, but instead he's now some kind of angel of death killer and she was right all along. Don't love it, don't we have enough random villains on this show?

Nice to see Alfred again, although we have hardly seen him be a firefighter so him deciding to quit feels rather random, I want to know more about how he came to the conclusion that this wasn't for him.

I was sure that the cute guy Josh was flirting with was a bad guy out to blow up the call center, thank goodness he wasn't. He seems like a great guy, Josh really needs this win in his dating life, asking about the background check was certainly a good call.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm sure the show wanted us to believe that Josh's new love interest could also end up being bad, but I'm glad he wasn't. And he was funny, to boot! I think this guy will be good for Josh, and it's good for the show to show that Josh isn't doomed in his relationships

A little comic relief would be great for the show, and new not-evil guy seems like a good choice to deliver some humorous notes.

• Love 9

I'm sure the show wanted us to believe that Josh's new love interest could also end up being bad, but I'm glad he wasn't. 

It remains to be seen whether he is a.) ever going to be seen again and b.) whether or not he'll actually be a love interest for Josh. It certainly felt that way but I'm convinced the show is all that invested in Josh as a character. This might have just been a one-off.

I have never liked Claudette, but while I don't think she deserved to die, I am also not going to miss her. Kudos to the actress for playing someone so loathsome so well, I was rooting for May to slap that smug condescending smirk right off her face.

It really annoyed me how Claudette kept trying to turn it around on May by "accusing" her of wanting credit. Well, when you steal someone else's idea, that's to be expected. Claudette used May's advice and then took credit for it. That's sketchy as hell. Plus the way she kept calling May sweetie and baby girl was super condescending. I loved when May yelled "I'm not your sweetie!"

• Love 6
5 hours ago, TVForever said:

"Rock-a-bye Baby!"

I see what you did there, Show!

That was Vanessa Williams' famous line from New Jack City, her first movie from 1991!giphy.gif

YES!! Thank you.  I heard that and I was like...good on you show!   Also her look in the film were so iconic for its time and place.  Anyway, yeah I won't miss Claudette.  I knew she was gon' die the minute she started being nice to May.  LOL. 

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I remember he picked up Harry from school and the teacher called him Mr. Grant, and Bobby corrected her and said he was Harry’s stepfather. The kids (and Michael) have always seemed to like Bobby but you’re right, we didn’t really hear how they felt about the marriage (were they there? It was in a judge’s office, right?). I thought it was so sweet that May called him Dad.

The kids were 100% on board.  As a matter of fact I think it was some party -- May's graduation party? --- maybe they insisted Bobby be in all the pictures because he was family.  And I think that was even before he and Athena got married, when they were just living together briefly. Also the kids were their only two attendants at the wedding.  So it was just the four of them at the Justice o' the peace.

Yeah, good episode for May.  I feel like they are definitely writing her to be going off to college, so many anvils.  Which would of course, leave the coast clear to have Maddie back at the call center. 

Also a good episode for the May and Bobby relationship.  They've had a couple of Bobby/Harry bonding stuff happening but not so much May and Bobby.  I have a soft spot for the Grant-Nash household and I am also predisposed to like good representation of step-parent/child relationships.  I had a fantastic relationship with my step dad who to this day I have mad respect for! 

See, I could buy Eddie here.  He did what I needed him to do, be pretty and fight a fire.  It is the most I've liked him in awhile. Also loved Josh's line about how Eddie had been waiting to use that 'you are a guest in this house' line.

Not as light hearted as I prefer for this show but still a good ep.

• Love 10
(edited)

In this episode, the writers magically remember that Chimney can stand on his own without Maddie. Please keep this in mind okay! 🙄🙄🙄

Chimney always made me cry, and he did it again! 😭 Heartwarming conversation between the brothers. So now Albert is going back to be an Uber driver? Ohh am so glad that Albert got rid of that ugly moustache.

Bobby saving May is a good step in his healing journey. Great storyline. Bobby’s pain is not forgotten.

God has spoken and Eddie is returning to 118. Am not sure whether this means less Lucy or more Lucy. What if Eddie and Lucy hook-up? Both are single, right.

I hope Jonah is a good guy. I cannot stand the “holier than thou” Hen. Ugh.

I don’t like Carson for Josh because he is not cute enough. I want to see Josh with Terry… 😘

OMG! Thank god that condescending bitch is now dead! Am soooooo happy‼️

giphy.gif

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Also loved Josh's line about how Eddie had been waiting to use that 'you are a guest in this house' line.

Yes, thank you for remember that! Best line on network TV this week.

• [CAPTAIN PAMELA SHORE –IN COMMAND WHILE BOBBY RESCUES MAY] . . .I need two firefighters for search and rescue. Worker named Carson Hayes, last seen on level two, could still be in the building.

[EDDIE] This is Diaz. Buckley and I are on two. We swept the whole floor.

[JOSH] This is dispatcher Russo. I think I know where he is.

Go ahead, Josh.

[JOSH] He told me he was going to the basement to connect power to the system. It's probably the electrical vault. I can meet you on two and take you down there.

[EDDIE] Negative, we got this. . .

[JOSH] But I'm right by the fire stairs. I could be down there right away.

[EDDIE] Josh, you're a dispatcher, not a firefighter. Today, you're a guest in this house.

[JOSH] He's been waiting months to say that. 

Loved that line delivered by Bryan Safi as Josh! He really deserves to have a bigger role on a comedy show. Maybe he and the new not-evil guy can get a new show together. IDK. Has there ever been a comedy spinoff of a drama?

But, I have a possibly sillier question:
How did Eddie magically appear in firefighter gear?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

The kids were 100% on board.  As a matter of fact I think it was some party -- May's graduation party? --- maybe they insisted Bobby be in all the pictures because he was family.  And I think that was even before he and Athena got married, when they were just living together briefly. Also the kids were their only two attendants at the wedding.  So it was just the four of them at the Justice o' the peace.

I think it was May’s prom, now that you mention it. I too love the stepparent relationship here - they like and respect Bobby. 

I forgot about Rockmond Dunbar until May said she had two dads. How did they explain his absence again?

I think it’s so sexy when Bobby is in captain mode. When he redirected leadership to go in after May I was like “Okay then!”

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

[EDDIE] Josh, you're a dispatcher, not a firefighter. Today, you're a guest in this house.

• [JOSH] He's been waiting months to say that. 

Loved that line delivered by Bryan Safi as Josh! He really deserves to have a bigger role on a comedy show. Maybe he and the new not-evil guy can get a new show together. IDK. Has there ever been a comedy spinoff of a drama?

But, I have a possibly sillier question:
How did Eddie magically appear in firefighter gear?

Snarky Josh is the best Josh. 

Eddie met the 118 outside when they arrived. Bobby told him to grab turnouts and go in with Buck.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I forgot about Rockmond Dunbar until May said she had two dads. How did they explain his absence again?

His boyfriend was going to Haiti to help after a natural disaster and he went along.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Snarky Josh is the best Josh. 

Eddie met the 118 outside when they arrived. Bobby told him to grab turnouts and go in with Buck.

I just looked up "turnouts." Not a term I knew.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

• Useful 1
21 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I sure did.  I'm glad Josh asked about how they vetted their contractors 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, toodywoody said:

Once again Claudette was not in uniform and while everyone is wearing polos, she us wearing a low cut shirt and almost falling out of it. Will I miss her, no

The positive I will grant is that the supervisor wasn't taking her shit or her version of what went down. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I thought "Aw, Dad's boyfriend hasn't made Dad status." :)

1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I think it’s so sexy when Bobby is in captain mode. When he redirected leadership to go in after May I was like “Okay then!”

Same! And that he handed off the IC position properly and didn't just run in like an idiot because May was in there. Competence is sexy!

(And is it just me or do fire shows dick around with wandering around the fire without actually putting water on anything a lot? Enough so that I was surprised that they were using the hose on the corridor outside the quiet room. Not that it did any good.) 

Loved the dramatic slo-mo walk of the 118 into the parking garage into Taylor's camera. They really are blowing up Taylor and Buck with him telling Lucy he was glad she wasn't in there with Cap. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Same! And that he handed off the IC position properly and didn't just run in like an idiot because May was in there. Competence is sexy!

It is! I like tall, smart empathetic men who are skilled at things. Bobby is that, and when he shows it off on the job I think it’s very attractive.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

How in the fuck did Taylor figure out Lucy was the woman Buck kissed? Taylor is another character they should just drop imo. Let Albert replace her lol. 

Yeah, that was wtf for me.  She sees Buck tell Lucy he was glad she wasn't in there and realizes he probably kissed her instead of a stranger? 

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am annoyed that they decided to make the new guy sketchy, validating Hen's petty dislike of him. This story should have been about Hen realizing how wring she had been to be so pissy with someone just because they aren't Chim, but instead he's now some kind of angel of death killer and she was right all along. Don't love it, don't we have enough random villains on this show?

Same here. To everything you said.

• Love 3
On 5/2/2022 at 8:45 PM, possibilities said:

I agree. 

I got confused in the beginning, when I thought Lucy was giving orders, until I realized there was another station with a blonde female captain on site. I'd like to know more about her! 

I was confused because she was in a Battalion Chief's SUV and I was expecting the Chief to take command when she said 118 got there first.

Then later when the valley couldn't take the load, while I'm only an occasional viewer I do remember that in the pilot 118 was in the valley. Even if they went to city basin areas because that is where the city beaches are.

Anybody remember Chim Begins? He saved his little brother in almost the same scenario that his best friend died.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

They really are blowing up Taylor and Buck with him telling Lucy he was glad she wasn't in there with Cap. 

I thought he said he was glad she was there, because it meant she knew Cap was in trouble. I may have misheard and/or added my own interpretation.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I thought he said he was glad she was there, because it meant she knew Cap was in trouble. I may have misheard and/or added my own interpretation.

That's what I thought the first time around, too, but I watched again with closed captions on and it was "I'm glad you weren't with him." Assuming the CCs are based on a script and not just audio processing.

(edited)
48 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I heard "was" rather than "wasn't"... captions are often full of errors (don't get me started on this topic, I will blow a gasket), but it kind of works either way. Either Buck's glad she was there to figure out help was needed, or he's glad she wasn't there getting crushed.

I thought Taylor just sussed it out, not based on the dialogue, but because of the tension. I actually have really liked how professional both Buck and Lucy have been since the kiss, and it's made me like her more and more. But I do think the show is making it look like Taylor is on the way out, and it bothers me because, while I actually never liked her, I don't like that they have set up a Buck cheating story and seem to be trying to justify it by making Taylor seem empty and Buck and Lucy seem like they are a better match with more natural chemistry and temperaments that mesh. It's especially awful as a story because they gave Taylor that abuse backstory. She used to be every bit Buck's equal and now they're just making her seem sad. I don't like them making her a victim twice.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

It's especially awful as a story because they gave Taylor that abuse backstory.

Wow, I have no recollection of this and I very recently binged watched this show. Shows how much I care about Taylor lol.

I called Claudette's death in the first scene. (I do that, and my wife gives me a "no spoilers" look.) 

So they brought her back to kill her. Ah, well, it's a paycheck for the actor.

So May's definitely going to college. (I read an article that says she is currently an undergrad at UCLA). Good for her...they've written her well enough and she's a good enough actor that I'm interested in seeing where she goes. If she ends up in some kind of law enforcement or public safety, it won't surprise me a bit.

Yeah, so I guess Eddie is magically healed of his trauma and can return to the 118. (Though a thing he can do as an actor is the physical stuff. The way he figured out there was a fire, and then managed to shatter the shatter-resistant glass was well done.)

I'd just as soon see Buck stay paired with Taylor and have Lucy as a friend. Which probably means that there will be a flaming breakup and Lucy will get killed.

• Love 2

The kids were 100% on board.  As a matter of fact I think it was some party -- May's graduation party? --- maybe they insisted Bobby be in all the pictures because he was family.  And I think that was even before he and Athena got married, when they were just living together briefly. Also the kids were their only two attendants at the wedding.

I know May and Harry have never shown any objection to Athena and Bobby's marriage but by the same token their attitudes have never been explained or addressed. Their acceptance of the relationship was short-handed. As far as we know they never even met Bobby prior to the wedding. We never got to see them react to the news that their mom was dating him or what their reaction was when she told them they were getting married. I guess they were just on board immediately, but why? I don't think the writers gave it much though. The kids were more or less props back then. It's only been since Bobby and Athena hooked up that the kids have been given any kind of real agency, especially May.