Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E17: Coding

• Start Topic

Airs April 3, 2022:

(Sorry! Thought there'd be a repeat due to the Grammys!)

Officer John Nolan and the team talk to a distressed man who is holding a hospital hostage to ensure his wife receives a needed surgery.

• Love 1
(edited)

The writing/editing of this episode was pretty off. Maybe they just tried to cram too many plots into one episode? I could have done without revisiting Lucy in the Hole. 

I kept waiting for an appearance of the husband of the car accident victim in the opening scene who was an organ donor, but he never appeared. 

And then later, when Nolan handed the iPad back to the hacker to turn off the rest of the hacks, that could have gone really wrong. I mean, should he really trust a crazed and obsessed hacker to not just take down the whole hospital since his wife is going to die anyway?

And the kidnapped boy with different-sized pupils is miraculously recovered enough from head trauma to go home with parents he hasn't seen since before he can remember???
Plus, unless medical recommendations for head trauma have changed in the last few years, the kid should really not have been having any screen time for a few days. 

Oh well. I guess as long as Lucy's roomie gets a nice new boyfriend, it's all good. He's not going to turn out to be an eco-terrorist, right? 
And Lucy's boyfriend who was singing the song she sang when she was kidnapped? No, he's not creepy, right? Right???
Or 

Spoiler

is Lucy's boyfriend going to be a tool of serial killer Rosalind Dyer so in the end Lucy and Tim will dance happily ever after like in next week's previews?

Thank you @preeya, for mentioning the Amazing Ubiquitous Bailey so I don't have to.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 8

The plot with the kidnapped kid should have been left out.  One story line too many and the writers did a terrible job of explaining things and the young actor was abnormally way too OK with “your parents aren’t your real parents”, “your name is really ____” and “your real parents are on their way - they’ll be here shortly”.  I blame the director for that — get some real, normal emotion out of the kid, director.  And can anyone fill me in on why that couple kidnapped him when he was three?  

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Every medical drama on tv has had a hospital  cyber attack episode.  Now a police drama has to have the same plot?

Sorry, but Law & Order already beat The Rookie by 29 years, as it covered such a scenario in the episode "Virus" in Season 3! (A kid was bitter that his angry diabetic father was going blind [played by Dana Elcar] and was causing medical equipment to read incorrect diabetic levels in patients in the hospital, so medical staff would give higher doses of insulin, killing said patients! The link has some quotes, brief summary.)

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Lucy's lawyer boyfriend was really really quick to say "Oh, it's fine if you don't testify, no problem at all." With him singing the barrel song in front of her, he's either an thoughtless idiot or a bad guy. 

Edited by gerdialiaVA
  • Love 16
(edited)
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The writing/editing of this episode was pretty off. Maybe they just tried to cram too many plots into one episode? I could have done without revisiting Lucy in the Hole. 

I kept waiting for an appearance of the husband of the car accident victim in the opening scene who was an organ donor, but he never appeared. 

And then later, when Nolan handed the iPad back to the hacker to turn off the rest of the hacks, that could have gone really wrong. I mean, should he really trust a crazed and obsessed hacker to not just take down the whole hospital since his wife is going to die anyway?

And the kidnapped boy with different-sized pupils is miraculously recovered enough from head trauma to go home with parents he hasn't seen since before he can remember???
Plus, unless medical recommendations for head trauma have changed in the last few years, the kid should really not have been having any screen time for a few days. 

Oh well. I guess as long as Lucy's roomie gets a nice new boyfriend, it's all good. He's not going to turn out to be an eco-terrorist, right? 
And Lucy's boyfriend who was singing the song she sang when she was kidnapped? No, he's not creepy, right? Right???
Or 

Reveal spoiler

is Lucy's boyfriend going to be a tool of serial killer Rosalind Dyer so in the end Lucy and Tim will dance happily ever after like in next week's previews?

Thank you @preeya, for mentioning the Amazing Ubiquitous Bailey so I don't have to.

All of that, plus no results on the reason Nyla was in the hospital. It was way too packed and sloppy in the resolutions. There was enough there for two episodes at least.

I've never much liked Bailey, but didn't pay much attention to her - but this time I was "again!" Is she the PDs personal EMT?

I kept thinking there'd be a scene with Nolan bringing popsicles to the dead woman's son. I mean, he promised, and it is the sort of thing he would keep his word on.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8
(edited)

The story with Lucy and her boyfriend is aggravating.  What's the point of having him be the only ADA in Los Angeles who can handle her case.   An attorney in the DA's office would not be allowed to work on a case involving someone they know.  He would have been required to recuse himself.

Also, Lucy's roommate would not be allowed to wander around at the DA's office by herself. 

Even before the singing, I thought the boyfriend seemed emotionally "off" when he was talking to her about watching the barrel video.  There is absolutely no point in making her watch it again.  They know that it's Lucy in the video, and there were no suspects shown, just her.

The part with him singing the barrel song was disturbing. I'm going to be so pissed if he turns out to be a bad guy.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 15
18 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I kept thinking there'd be a scene with Nolan bringing popsicles to the dead woman's son. I mean, he promised, and it is the sort of thing he would keep his word on.

Right. Yet another "hanging chad." When we didn't see the car accident victim's husband or son, I was sure it was going to turn out there was no husband or son. And when she was talking about groceries melting in the trunk, I was sure it was a body. But no. Her purpose was to donate a heart at the precise moment that 2 people needed it--including one whose crazy husband was able to set up a cyber attack in the hospital (to hold the heart hostage) with co-conspirators within moments.
And somehow a death at a car accident meant Nolan would be at the hospital. 
But Nyla was already there...

21 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

plus no results on the reason Nyla was in the hospital

with "just a little bleeding." Seriously?
It was like one writer shoehorned Nolan at the hospital, and another writer shoehorned Nyla at the hospital, and TPTB hoped by including both terrible plot devices, the viewers would be distracted enough not to notice the ghastly contrivances and that:

8 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

The plot with the kidnapped kid should have been left out.  

and that Bailey was there. 

I guess the writers must be getting a list of character requirements for each episode. But these requirements must be concocted by someone whose previous job was sewing crazy quilts.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

Agree with every one else that this epi was a mess with too many unresolved/unexplained plot lines.

I really hope Lucy's boyfriend is just an insensitive idiot and not a co-conspirator.  And yes, no way would he be prepping Lucy.  Her roommate wandering around and finding herself a boyfriend was eye rolling as well.

The hacker (who's name I can't recall at the moment) almost always has played some type of creep so I wasn't surprised when he popped up.  But I also don't understand how he knew about the heart.  The only way that makes sense is that he listens to police/ambulance/fire department dispatches and the hacker storyline of a hospital has been done ad nauseum.

Bailey...  Of course she's the only person at the fire department who could respond at the accident scene and the hospital.  Whatever show.

Nyla and her issue not being addressed...  I remember at least one real life incident where a pregnant woman was spotting and that meant she had miscarried but she wasn't as far along as Nyla but still sloppy.  And the kid and the kidnappers.  The kid has a concussion and they want to keep him for a few days but at the end he's playing video games and waiting on his real parents and what there's no follow-up from the doctor on this?

I accept a certain amount of silliness/inconsistency from this show but if they have any sort of technical advisers on this show, I'd be shocked.  At the very least they need better editors.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Officer John Nolan and the team talk to a distressed man who is holding a hospital hostage to ensure his wife receives a needed surgery.

Wait....where have I heard this scenario before........ah, yes - John Q

4 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

Bailey...  Of course she's the only person at the fire department who could respond at the accident scene and the hospital.  Whatever show

She got those 'Flow Girl' moves.  I bet JLo's Fly Girl' stint ain't got nothing on Jack-Of-All-Baileys!

• Love 2

The first scene irked me the most.  They come across a dying woman in a car, so Nolan just goes in to hold her hand and chat?  There was absolutely NO EMT present for like minutes, what, they were getting coffee???

• Love 6

This is one of the worst episode in this season‼️

When Nolan was talking to Riley, holding her hand, trying to “distract” her, where were the firefighters and EMTs? Chit chatting?

The kidnapping arc is poorly written and executed. 9-1-1 had a similar arc and they executed it so well, it’s touching with a much better kid actor. Athena 1, Nyla 0.

The Meredith/Piper heart battle is meh. Jonah is so dumb it’s annoying.

I don’t understand why we have to revisit Lucy’s trauma again. Lack of creative ideas in writers’ room? DA office’s roles, responsibilities and procedures are a joke in this storyline.

And where’s Aaron in all of these messes? They manage to insert irrelevant Wesley, smelly Bailey and cringey Tamara but Aaron is nowhere to be seen? 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Love 4

I think this episode was the writer's room version of the Jeopardy "Potpourri" category that throws together a bunch of clues from various subjects that were unused in prior episodes.  The writers had a whiteboard corner of leftover plot lines that they wanted to clear out so they could start plotting the story arcs for next season, and had to figure out a way to stitch them all together into one episode.  And that's how we got Nyla randomly being there to make the kidnap plot work.  The original idea probably had the kid in an ER cubicle next to an injured Nolan or Nyla and then the follow-through would be more logical.

My new strategy, which I built from another poster's post about the last episode, of treating Bailey's pop-up appearances like ridiculous comic relief worked like a charm.  Instead of being irritated, I was amused.  "Oooh, look at that, Nolan's starting CPR!  Cue Bailey rushing in--no matter that it is in the hospital--in 5....4....3....2....  There she is!!!  Right on cue."  At least for that one they had the throwaway line later on that she was there as part of the patient evacuation.  Now, that is standard operation and made a little bit of sense.  What did not make sense was that she just happened to be walking past the door to the room at that exact moment.  But when my irritation started up, I just pointed myself to my new strategy and sailed on.

As for Lucy's story line....  I'm afraid the new deputy prosecutor/boyfriend is going to turn out to be a bad guy.  He's another who has fallen under the Svengali control of the mastermind serial killer in jail.  It will turn out that as part of a student project, or through some sort of prior job with the prosecutor's office, he met with her in prison and fell under her influence.  Otherwise, why would they have included that flashback of Lucy seeing her in prison, and her taunting Lucy with that song?  For that matter.....how did she know about Lucy singing that song in the video?  Eh, OK, the whacko who put her and the camera there in the barrel probably went straight to mommy with that detail.  Him humming that song is just evil.  Something about his apology when he realized it rattled her didn't ring true to me.  He was too smug, not nearly distressed enough about upsetting her.  If he really cared about her, he would have been more abject in his apology.  The thing is, in this case, Lucy followed Tim's advice and is dating someone from their own "set" and now that advice failed so Tim will feel obliged to comfort Lucy and, and, and....  Sigh.

Really, show?  "Click-Tok?"  Really?!?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
45 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

The thing is, in this case, Lucy followed Tim's advice and is dating someone from their own "set" and now that advice failed so Tim will feel obliged to comfort Lucy and, and, and....  Sigh.

This exactly.  I hope we're wrong but I do see this as a set-up to push Tim and Lucy together.  Talk about cringe...

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, milkyaqua said:

Nyla and her issue not being addressed...  I remember at least one real life incident where a pregnant woman was spotting and that meant she had miscarried but she wasn't as far along as Nyla but still sloppy. 

My experience with that was doctor's office, ultrasound, so sorry but...  And yeah, I wasn't as far along as Nyla, so maybe they'd go to a hospital for that stage.

48 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I think this episode was the writer's room version of the Jeopardy "Potpourri" category that throws together a bunch of clues from various subjects that were unused in prior episodes. 

That made me laugh - feels kinda true.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

Jonah: "I've taken over the entire network, and the backup servers. I have total control of this hospital."

Bradford: "We'll see about that! Nolan, you get the blowtorch, I'll get the pineapple." 

• LOL 6
3 hours ago, RichterChick said:

How did Hacker Guy know about the heart that was available?  They not only showed up at the hospital at exactly the right time, but knew the donor’s name as well. 

Filion's TV magic.

• Love 3

Average episode overall and like other posters mentioned this one had too many plot points.  The twists with the hackers and the kidnapped boy were completely unnecessary. 

I like the show revisiting the Rosalind story because it felt unfinished to me since I believe she originally was convicted based on evidence that was illegally obtained or planted by Armstrong. That felt like an unresolved plot point in my mind for her to be in jail on those charges so this gives the show the opportunity to resolve it and bring back one of the better villains if that conviction is overturned based on illegally obtained evidence.  And with Lucy not testifying in her own kidnapping, then there's likely less evidence pointing to Rosalind being behind Lucy's kidnapping so Rosalind can go free on that charge too just in time for the season cliffhanger.  

That Promo OMG! .....   of course I'm referring to Badger being back.  😀 But seriously, I'm glad for those that want Chenford, they are getting a few bread crumbs in next week's episode. 

• Love 3

I kept wondering where the husband was for the woman who died. I do not believe the hospital would take her organs without allowing her family to say goodbye. It was creepy for DA guy to be singing that song; something is up with him. Also rolled my eyes at the hacker guy knowing the heart was there, no back up systems in the hospital and just handing over a boy with serious head injuries over to strangers. I’m sure social workers would be involved in integrating the boy slowly with his family.  Too many things didn’t make sense .

• Love 10
16 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

And can anyone fill me in on why that couple kidnapped him when he was three?  

What confuses me about the kidnappers...When I kidnap kids, I re-locate them cross-country. There would be no "your parents are on your way, I'll stay with you in the meantime." This couple gives kidnappers a bad name.

And the kid. What? I'm adopted and can't go home with the only parents I've ever known? I'm going to live with some strangers now? Yeah, I've got a few minutes to kill, I'll show you how to play a video game.

I'm guessing that the hacker had already hacked into whatever network hospitals have for notifying other hospitals about available organs. If he can shut bring the hospital to a standstill, a passive tap into the information flow can't be hard.

I was afraid that serial murder would be on the lose again, so that was a good thing. The season's not over, though. There's still time to re-hash that old villain-on-the-loose plot. I can't get enough of that. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

Bailey looked at the metal bar skewering the victim and told Nolan that it was hopeless. So yeah, the rescue crew was not hurrying...

1 hour ago, Thomas Crown said:

I like the show revisiting the Rosalind story because it felt unfinished to me since I believe she originally was convicted based on evidence that was illegally obtained or planted by Armstrong. 

Wesley needs time to draft the appeal... pro bono

• Love 3
8 hours ago, RichterChick said:

How did Hacker Guy know about the heart that was available?  They not only showed up at the hospital at exactly the right time, but knew the donor’s name as well. 

this wasn't something that you could throw together in an afternoon. Presumably he had alerts built into the system to tell him when a suitable heart became available.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

this wasn't something that you could throw together in an afternoon. Presumably he had alerts built into the system to tell him when a suitable heart became available.

It would have been easier to hack the waiting list... make it seem like the young girl had abnormal test results...

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, paigow said:

It would have been easier to hack the waiting list... make it seem like the young girl had abnormal test results...

That reminds me: I had thought the car accident person was going to turn out to not really be who she said she was, which they would find out when they checked her blood type -- assuming donors have that information on file.
There are so many interesting red herrings they could have added to the A plot without adding B, C, and D plots, resulting a whole lot of unresolved loose ends.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, RichterChick said:

Given the chaotic "let's see how many poorly written plots we can include in one episode" energy this show was giving, I assumed he had hacked the car and caused it to crash or had used a drone to sabotage it in some way, but alas, they never addressed it.

22 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

The story with Lucy and her boyfriend is aggravating.  What's the point of having him be the only ADA in Los Angeles who can handle her case.   An attorney in the DA's office would not be allowed to work on a case involving someone they know.  He would have been required to recuse himself.

Los Angeles is a very small city. There is only one Fire Department station, and a single detective. Why would the "City" of Los Angeles District Attorney's office have more than one ADA?

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, mojito said:

I'm guessing that the hacker had already hacked into whatever network hospitals have for notifying other hospitals about available organs. If he can shut bring the hospital to a standstill, a passive tap into the information flow can't be hard.

That could have been handled with one sentence. It is the most logical explanation.

17 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Pipers dad was Elvin from the Cosby Show.  Interesting story, he was filmed and mocked for working at Traders Joe, which has caused a Little resurgence of his career. 

I thought he looked familiar! I'm glad to see he got some work, though there is nothing wrong with having steady work even if it doesn't match public expectations.

• Love 3

I always liked that actor.  In many ways, Elvin was portrayed on The Cosby Show as a weak loser, but I always thought he was an interesting character, that Cosby clan has to be a bit hard to break into, and that takes a strong personality.  I always thought Elvin was gentle, not passive, and strong in his own way no matter how he was written.  Elvin seemed kind, which appealed to me as a kid.  I always wondered what happened to the actor because he fell off the face of the earth after The Cosby Show ended.  Was he blackballed for some reason? 

I see he was "outed" as a "normal" person having an ordinary job at Trader Joes.  That's sad that people would feel the need to shame him for that. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I always thought Elvin was gentle, not passive, and strong in his own way no matter how he was written.  Elvin seemed kind, which appealed to me as a kid. 

The character had issues always being compared to the tall, sexy Navy dude that also married into the family...  

I agree with everyone else that this episode had too many plots going on.

At first, I thought the car accident woman was trying to commit suicide since her car looked like it hit the overpass support head on.  Then when she said her husband was going to kill her because of the damage to the car, I then thought she was escaping an abusive husband.  Never did I think her storyline was going to turn into the mess that was the rest of this episode.

No answer on Nyla's condition.  She looks like she's due any day so I would think her bleeding would be of some concern, but I guess it's not as important as her babysitting some random kidnapped child and diagnosing him with a concussion. 

Weird how we never see Nolan's ex-girlfriend anymore considering she is a Dr at the hospital.  Instead, we have Bailey responding to code blue's in the ICU.   I just can't with this show and their obsession with Bailey!!  And her hair constantly hanging in her face drives me completely mad!!  

The husband shutting down the entire system so his wife would get the heart transplant was so stupid! I didn't understand how they mentioned the husband was in a psych ward years earlier because the wife tried to leave him.  But just like everything else in this episode, no follow up.  I also didn't understand how he supposedly couldn't live without her and that was his reasoning for not caring if the other patients died so his wife would live.  Even if she decided to go through with the transplant, he would be in prison so he wouldn't be with her.  It made absolutely no sense. And since that storyline wasn't dumb enough, the writers decided to make it even worse by turning it into ransomware attack.  The cherry on this sh!tshow sundae was the suspects were so easily caught hanging out in a shed not far from the hospital.  LAME!!!

I think Chen's boyfriend is a total creep and I wouldn't be surprised if he was also involved with Rosalind.  I really hope Chen and Bradford don't hook up.  

• Love 4

This episode was hilariously packed - they must just be throwing darts at a dartboard to figure out each episode, and this one got packed because the dart pierced through two pieces of paper instead of one because Jeff The Intern slightly bent the dart.

At this point I hope they just go full ham with Bailey - have her start appearing in improbably places, culminating with her either popping out of the trunk of the police car, or just happens upon the cops while they are in the middle of nowhere chasing a criminal or raiding a cabin - she'd just say "what, i was hiking/training for a marathong!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 4/4/2022 at 7:34 AM, Clanstarling said:

That will happen on next week's episode.

• Love 2
On 4/4/2022 at 8:07 AM, shapeshifter said:

Her purpose was to donate a heart at the precise moment that 2 people needed it--including one whose crazy husband was able to set up a cyber attack in the hospital (to hold the heart hostage) with co-conspirators within moments.

Once again, they totally misrepresented organ donation/transplant procedure: everything from not intubating the patient until after she was already dead to doing a transplant immediately with no type of evaluation of either the donor or both recipients and a lot more in between.  

On 4/4/2022 at 4:16 PM, Madding crowd said:

I kept wondering where the husband was for the woman who died. I do not believe the hospital would take her organs without allowing her family to say goodbye.

It would be absolutely necessary for him to be there to sign the consent forms and give a complete health history. Then there is the need to wait 72 hours to make the definitive diagnosis of brain death and discover which organs are viable for transplant. If your heart has stopped beating and has to be defibrillated then the heart and lungs can not be used for transplant making the whole episode a moot point. However, the liver and kidneys still can be used for transplant if they hadn't been damaged in the accident. Internal bleeding somewhere is probably what killed her. That may have been enough to make the abdominal organs unusable. 

Just having it indicated on you want to be a donor on your driver's license isn't legally acceptable. They also don't just wheel you straight into the OR for the organ harvest. The next of kin is still required to give consent. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 4/4/2022 at 4:16 PM, Madding crowd said:

handing over a boy with serious head injuries over to strangers.

The hospital staff was stupid enough to push his wheelchair into another patient's room and announce, "we don't have room for him in the ER; why don't you watch this patient for us?"

• Love 2
On 4/4/2022 at 7:13 PM, shapeshifter said:

which they would find out when they checked her blood type -- assuming donors have that information on file.

They don't. If you are registered as a bone marrow donor, they know your blood type from your cheek swab to get on the registration list. Just checking the organ donor box on your driver's license doesn't produce any medical information about you that goes into any file in case you happen to have an incident that leads you to possibly become an organ donor. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

They don't. If you are registered as a bone marrow donor, they know your blood type from your cheek swab to get on the registration list. Just checking the organ donor box on your driver's license doesn't produce any medical information about you that goes into any file in case you happen to have an incident that leads you to possibly become an organ donor. 

So I guess we're supposed to assume that the crazed husband hacker had set up a script to capture the blood types of all accident victims and immediately alert him? 
Even if he was able to do this, isn't there some other testing they do beyond blood type to see if it's a "match"?

Sheesh. They really should've just gone with it being a brain transplant to signal that none of the procedures were based on reality.
But I guess that would have been considered to be in poor taste.

Just now, shapeshifter said:

Even if he was able to do this, isn't there some other testing they do beyond blood type to see if it's a "match"?

Yes. HLA typing would also be necessary. 

• Useful 1

It might just have been as simple as monitoring a social media message board/support group for people needing organ transplants to meet up and talk.  Hacker husband and/or wife may have sussed out several participants who had the same blood type and tissue markers as the wife and started stalking them.  Then either the girl or her dad may have posted "OMG!  They found a donor heart!!!" and that set the wheels in motion.

• Useful 3
On 4/4/2022 at 9:47 AM, nittany cougar said:

The part with him singing the barrel song was disturbing. I'm going to be so pissed if he turns out to be a bad guy.

If he doesn't, then boy, he'll turn out to be one creepy ass/thoughtless guy to sing that song in front of his girlfriend. 

• Love 2

It's a catchy song, and he did seem properly aghast when he realized what he'd done.  But his apology somehow wasn't 100% convincing to me, and I was trying to figure out if the actor just wasn't good enough to pull off proper aghastment (aghastity?) or if his character really was thoughtless and was kinda bad at acting sorry.