Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Taboo

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

If your kid hates peas and you have another vegetable in your fridge, then why not give them something they will eat.  Or better yet, stop buying, cooking, and serving peas when you know your kid hates them????

Because other people in the family like them?  Is this child so special now that he shouldn't have to sit at a table that contains a bowl of peas?  My son is vegan, my husband doesn't really like anything but meat and chicken, I like everything but liver.  I don't cook three meals and we don't buy junk food,  I just usually cook a meal that contains a starchy food, meat or fish, two vegetables, Maybe some fruit.   A few times a week we have a vegan main dish like zucchini skillet or tofu stir fry.  Hubs lives  through it.

• Love 8
Just now, JudyObscure said:

Because other people in the family like them?  Is this child so special now that he shouldn't have to sit at a table that contains a bowl of peas?  My son is vegan, my husband doesn't really like anything but meat and chicken, I like everything but liver.  I don't cook three meals and we don't buy junk food,  I just usually cook a meal that contains a starchy food, meat or fish, two vegetables, Maybe some fruit.   A few times a week we have a vegan main dish like zucchini skillet or tofu stir fry.  Hubs lives  through it.

I see you edited my post there.  I was using an example from my family, I thought my sentence after what you quoted made that clear.  For the record, the only member of my family who actually likes peas is my mother.   My dad wasn't eating his peas while I was choking those too sweet, mushy green balls.  Because I had to clean my plate every night at dinner.  

I just can't get into the demise of Kate and Toby's marriage about giving a kid a spoon to lick.  the real problem is the separation and we have not heard one conversation between them on how to solve it.  Toby obviously has a significant job and if this is supposed to be post pandemic, most can be done virtually.  my son hasn't gone into an office in over 2 years and there are no plans requiring it.  if not that, then either transferring back to LA or actively looking for a job in LA (always easier to find a job when you already have one).  but we've heard nothing about that....

and while it's no picnic taking care of two kids (one special needs) doesn't Kate work only part time?  Granted, she doesn't want her mother taking care of them alone, but she could help Kate and spend time with her at the same time.  for other times, Miguel can be there with her mother so Kate can get a break.  

but I get it has to be done quickly since it's the last season, but the reasons so far for breaking up a marriage don't fly.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, watch2much said:

I just can't get into the demise of Kate and Toby's marriage about giving a kid a spoon to lick.  the real problem is the separation and we have not heard one conversation between them on how to solve it.  Toby obviously has a significant job and if this is supposed to be post pandemic, most can be done virtually.  my son hasn't gone into an office in over 2 years and there are no plans requiring it.  if not that, then either transferring back to LA or actively looking for a job in LA (always easier to find a job when you already have one).  but we've heard nothing about that....

and while it's no picnic taking care of two kids (one special needs) doesn't Kate work only part time?  Granted, she doesn't want her mother taking care of them alone, but she could help Kate and spend time with her at the same time.  for other times, Miguel can be there with her mother so Kate can get a break.  

but I get it has to be done quickly since it's the last season, but the reasons so far for breaking up a marriage don't fly.

Toby and Kate's marriage has never been that strong.   They both have problems communicating and listening to their partner.  Toby already had a emotional affair with one of his Crossfit buddies a couple of seasons ago that they never really addressed.  They just patched their relationship up and decided to adopt another child. Their separation is exacerbating their problems, and they are going to get to the point where they can no longer patch things up.  Just like Toby's dad told him last season.   These problems have been present since season one.  

• Love 11
On 3/10/2022 at 2:47 PM, ams1001 said:

Now I want a flash forward where future Hailey reveals the secret ingredient to the world.

Channeling Big Bang Theory here: Is the secret ingredient love? No, it’s lard.

Re: picky eaters and obesity. We cooked a meal that always had meat, veggies and a carb. All kids had to try it if it was something new. If they didn’t like the carb, they ate more meat or veggies. Or whatever. Eventually parents get to know what kids actually like and don’t like, as opposed to being picky or bratty. We had one kid who didn’t like ham, so I would make ham when I knew there was a leftover pork chop or chicken breast in the fridge for that kid. It’s about respecting a child’s individual taste. 

As for Kate not appearing in the flash forwards, is it logical to assume she isn’t alive by then? I mean, the odds of someone as obese as Kate living beyond 50-ish is pretty slim. If they do a “Kate is slim in the flash forward using CGI”, I’d be pissed. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

In my house I make one balanced and healthy(ish) meal for the family. Obviously I can’t make her eat, but I offer my kid the meal with the rest of the fam and it’s her choice if she wants to eat it or not.

I read a book from a pediatrician that made a lot of sense to me.  He said your job is to make a healthy well balanced meal and it ends when you set it on the table.  Two with ASD and the dinners I forgot that were awful.  My kids are teens and older; some are great eaters and some eat way too much junk food, and well-meaning aides like to tell me about the junk food but I can’t let it get to me.  

I need an episode that focuses solely on Miguel, and I want to see their wedding (clearly they eloped, right?!?) and honeymoon.  He is a delight, and I pride myself on thinking that the first season as well!

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Shermie said:

As for Kate not appearing in the flash forwards, is it logical to assume she isn’t alive by then? I mean, the odds of someone as obese as Kate living beyond 50-ish is pretty slim. If they do a “Kate is slim in the flash forward using CGI”, I’d be pissed. 

Didn't someone refer to her and say she was on her way?

• Useful 1
On 3/10/2022 at 1:37 PM, JudyObscure said:

Yum. After a cooking/baking spree that lasted from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day, we've been trying to simplify things and discovered that almost everything from  cod to zucchini is pretty darn good with olive oil and a little garlic salt.

Lemon zest and butter make almost anything better!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Didn't someone refer to her and say she was on her way?

Toby is the one who mentions that Jack is on his way with others.  Obviously Jack is not the one driving.   He's twelve at most, and blind.  Someone is driving him.  The only adults not accounted for in the flashforward are Kate, Miguel, and Kevin's yet to be revealed wife.  So one of them is driving Jack and Hailey to Kevin's house.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Toby is the one who mentions that Jack is on his way with others.  Obviously Jack is not the one driving.   He's twelve at most, and blind.  Someone is driving him.  The only adults not accounted for in the flashforward are Kate, Miguel, and Kevin's yet to be revealed wife.  So one of them is driving Jack and Hailey to Kevin's house.  

It could also be Philip Mean Jerk, if Kate passed away and Toby is letting Jack and Hailey stay with Philip some of the time because they've grown attached to him.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The only adults not accounted for in the flashforward are Kate, Miguel, and Kevin's yet to be revealed wife.  So one of them is driving Jack and Hailey to Kevin's house.  

And Kate's future husband "mean jerk".

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

It could also be Philip Mean Jerk, if Kate passed away and Toby is letting Jack and Hailey stay with Philip some of the time because they've grown attached to him.

Just because we have not seen Kate in 2030, that does not mean that she's dead.  I figure she and Philip are a package deal, and they will show up with the kids in tow.  

I do think that if the show really wanted to kill off one of the Big Three (after Kyle), then it would be Kevin.  Have Kevin find his soul mate or reconnect with Sophie or Kevin realizes he really does love Madison, and then he gets hit by a bus.  

• LOL 5
4 hours ago, roughing it said:

Ok. Full disclosure.  Sobbing, ugly sobbing, shoulders shaking sobbing.  I miss my mom.

We lost my father about six years ago after a long illness. He and I were at each others' throats pretty much from the time I hit puberty, but once I moved out on my own things calmed down, although we were never close.  Nevertheless, it surprises me that I still think about him as often as I do.   

3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Because I had to clean my plate every night at dinner.  

This.  My mother made what she made (which was determined by what my father liked) and we ate it, like it or not, and it was gone before we were excused from the dinner table.  "You'll eat it before it eats you."

To this day, I avoid potatoes au gratin, liver and onions, and creamed chipped beef on toast. Otherwise, no residual damage that I'm aware of.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, roughing it said:

Ok. Full disclosure.  Sobbing, ugly sobbing, shoulders shaking sobbing.  I miss my mom.

May I offer you a virtual hug from an internet stranger? A family member asked me for pictures of my dad and uncle so I was looking through all these pictures and started crying when I saw a funny one of my dad holding me as a baby that I hadn't seen before. I was laughing because it's a funny picture, and crying too because I miss him so much. Loss is so hard.

• Love 15
On 3/9/2022 at 10:10 AM, AzraeltheCat said:

Also, I thought it was supes awkward for Rebecca to make that announcement, right before dinner, about needing to have "a Talk" later.  And she indicated it would only be Miguel and the Big 3, but said it  in front of everybody.  So now, everyone has to eat dinner wondering what the hell is going on.  

That was seriously awkward.  If I was one of the in-laws, I would wonder like hell what was wrong and maybe even feel a little hurt.  No, strike that, I would be hurt. My MIL did shit like that all the time.  That's why me and my former SIL named ourselves the out-laws.

On 3/9/2022 at 12:00 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

We have not been shown any scenes where Kate has explicitly said that she does not want to move to San Francisco.  Their plan was for Toby to work this job while looking for another position in LA so they did not have to move. 

There was a scene when Toby announced the job was in SF and Kate said "but..but my part-time job!!" or something similar.  Which to me, means that she doesn't want to move to SF.

On 3/9/2022 at 5:04 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

It doesn't strike me as a Pittsburgh dessert.  

Sugar Pie is not a Pittsburgh dessert.  Never heard of it before this show.

On 3/10/2022 at 6:15 PM, debraran said:

No one ever makes a dish the same anyway. We might follow a recipe to the tee, watch Martha on youtube,but our dish looks different.

Hell, I never make a dish the same way.  I hear about it all the time.  Whatever, still tastes good. 😄

Was I the only one to notice that Rebecca said "give my grandson" the batter and never mentioned Hailey?  Does she not consider Hailey her grandchild?  Kinda rude and again, reminding me of my MIL.

I get the issue is not what Jack's eating, but communication.  But I'm team Toby here.  At least, scraping that OBSCENE amount of marshmallow from Jack's potatoes.  I swear, Kate gave him the piece with the most marshmallow.

Great episode, tho, best one this season.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, madmax said:

Was I the only one to notice that Rebecca said "give my grandson" the batter and never mentioned Hailey?  Does she not consider Hailey her grandchild?  Kinda rude and again, reminding me of my MIL.

Isn’t Hailey younger than Jack? Maybe Rebecca thought Hailey was too young for the “licking the spatula” thing, whereas Jack was old enough to enjoy it. Which he did, saying, “It’s good.”

I love it when the little toddler actors act real and they just go with it. What if he had said, “Yuck!” Heh. I imagine they can’t rehearse that scene too many times.

• Love 7

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

liver and onions

My parents will be married 52 years next month, and my mom has made liver and onions exactly once for my dad. He has to get it in restaurants if he wants it (or when he was working they had it in the cafeteria sometimes). (He cooks but I don't think he likes it enough to bother making it just for himself.)

When I was a kid I wouldn't eat the "treetops" of broccoli. My mom would make sure there were enough stem pieces mixed in so I could pick out a full serving, but she didn't make something different for me.

2 minutes ago, Shermie said:

I love it when the little toddler actors act real and they just go with it. What if he had said, “Yuck!” Heh. I imagine they can’t rehearse that scene too many times.

I sometimes wonder how often little kids on shows force changes in the script just because they won't cooperate and the director wants to move on.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Shermie said:

31 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I sometimes wonder how often little kids on shows force changes in the script just because they won't cooperate and the director wants to move on.

Maybe what was on the spatula was something the little actor is known to like, such as vanilla yogurt or pudding. I think the actor is also blind, so if something smells good and familiar to him, he's probably much more likely to lick the spatula than if it's something he hasn't eaten before.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Maybe what was on the spatula was something the little actor is known to like, such as vanilla yogurt or pudding. I think the actor is also blind, so if something smells good and familiar to him, he's probably much more likely to lick the spatula than if it's something he hasn't eaten before.

I would imagine they wouldn't give a baby a new food if they want a good reaction. (And yes, he is visually impaired; I looked this up the other day and posted a link maybe a few pages back. It said he has albinism and an eye condition that often goes along with that, but he's not totally blind, I don't think.)

• Useful 3
On 3/10/2022 at 4:49 PM, chocolatine said:

Every autumn I think about compiling a cookbook of family favorites for my son as a Christmas or birthday gift, then I realize he was aound when I created those recipes and has watched me make them most of his life.

Years ago my mother put together scrapbooks filled with copies of handwritten family recipes and gave them to us kids at Christmas. I treasure mine and still pull it out and refer to it.

• Love 5

I finally got a chance to watch this episode and I wasn’t impressed.  I could have trimmed it down to about 15 minutes.  Maybe, it’s because it contained a couple of my pet peeves.  One, is keeping an ingredient as a secret in a family favorite dish.  As another poster mentioned, unless you’re entering cooking competitions, what’s the point?  Imo, it’s silly with a mean steak in it.  

My other issue is poor nutrition for kids.  Was the spoon licking a big deal?  Probably not, except for raw eggs.  That filling appeared to have egg and that would not be okay, as raw eggs are unsafe to eat, especially for children.  But, I agree with Toby about the obesity issue.  It does have a genetic component.  Based on my own observation, I’ve never known a very overweight parent who didn’t push overeating on their kids.  They may exist, but I’ve never seen it.  And, they lie and say they don’t do it.  It’s infuriating, but what can you do as a bystander?  All I can figure is that their idea of a proper  portion is skewed.  And, they often think eating junk food doesn’t count, if eaten by children.  

Those Pearsons can be a mean bunch.  I agree with Beth about how they don’t seem to be able to control themselves. They bite hard, often for no reason or they are just upset over something petty or something they did to themselves.  After getting my feelings hurt a few times, I don’t think I’d find that bunch that fabulous.  

I missed Nicky, but was fine with the others who weren’t around.  

• Love 6
On 3/9/2022 at 8:28 AM, JudyObscure said:

And here, I thought it was nutmeg.

Per Rachel Ray, it's the ingredient that makes you go "hmmmm."

On 3/9/2022 at 9:04 AM, kili said:

Note that all the arguments were about Jack and his genetics? There was no debate about what Hailey was eating. This could end up like the Kate vs Randall/Kevin situation where Jack ends up getting an unhealthy relationship with food.

We know Jack ends up stick thin despite cooking enormous slabs of meat to eat so he does end up healthy so somebody's strategy worked.

I did appreciate Kate's speech in how she has put a lot of thought into food and building a healthy relationship for her kids with food. While Toby is concerned about Jack, I'm not sure he's putting much more thought into it than "sugar bad". That "something bad" works with some kids and other kids over-indulge the forbidden fruit behind their parent's back. Everything in moderation is probably a better lesson to learn and that is what Kate is aiming for. Food is just food - it isn't love or an object of defiance or a forbidden fruit.

Well, of the two of them,  only one has lost a significant amount of weight,  so I think he's a little more knowledgeable than "sugar bad." 

On 3/9/2022 at 11:14 AM, greekmom said:

Jack could have just gained the Rebecca/Kevin genes.  He does look alot like Kevin and Kevin and Kate are twins. So.... Plus meat doesn't make you fat. That is why alot of people go on keto diets that are protein high and carb low.

If there was another season, I would have loved Toby gaining the weight back and Kate going thin storyline. That would have been super interesting to see how Toby deals with it. Ohhh coupled with them getting divorced and her marrying Phil while being thin. Now that would make some interesting episodes!

Wow, that's some serious Toby hate and revenge projection!

On 3/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, Empress1 said:

I don’t see how that’s possible since Chrissy Metz isn’t noticeably thinner in real life. I don’t know if CGI can do that (I genuinely don’t - maybe it can).

The internet is an interesting place and obviously photo shop and other technology make it hard to know what's true and what's not,  but on another board multiple people are saying that Chrissy lost 100 or more pounds and a google search did produce photos that make that claim seem very possible.

18 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

Same goes for alcohol. I knew many people in my twenties who grew up in very strict no alcohol households went completely off the rails once they were out on their own. They would go out with the express intention of getting drunk. In my household moderate alcohol was allowed, and it was never a big deal. Not saying I never got shnockered but I can say I never went out with that specific goal. 

Alcohol was allowed in our house and we were allowed to drink as teens.  Both my brother and I became heavy drinkers in college and into our twenties.  There is no one size fits all approach to diet or alcohol consumption and it drives me crazy when I see simplistic advice as THE SOLUTION.  I think more of our addictive tendencies are tied to genetics than environment and I would have to agree with Toby regarding Jack's potential to grow up heavy and understand why he's concerned. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Probably not, except for raw eggs.  That filling appeared to have egg and that would not be okay, as raw eggs are unsafe to eat, especially for children.

Interrupting for a quick PSA:  pasteurized eggs allow for batter eating, though now you have to cook the flour before eating it.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, mansonlamps said:

There is no one size fits all approach to diet or alcohol consumption and it drives me crazy when I see simplistic advice as THE SOLUTION. 

No, there isn’t a one size fits all approach to anything really. It’s just been my personal experience that people who have been repressed in some way end up acting out against that. Of course it could easily go the other way as well.

My service cut out for a few minutes and I missed that Beth line about Thanksgivings always being a mess. Heh. Did they mention why Nicky wasn’t there?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

No, there isn’t a one size fits all approach to anything really. It’s just been my personal experience that people who have been repressed in some way end up acting out against that. Of course it could easily go the other way as well.

My service cut out for a few minutes and I missed that Beth line about Thanksgivings always being a mess. Heh. Did they mention why Nicky wasn’t there?

He was with Edie (?) in Topeka.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Wow, that's some serious Toby hate and revenge projection!

LOL. Not at all.

It's just alot of people who lose a ton of weight do gain it back.  It would have been interesting to watch the dynamics. It has nothing to do with revenge or Toby hate. (Personally I can't stand either Kate or Toby)

• Love 5

I’m sure the creator mapped out the major plot points years ago, but COVID and working virtually really screws up the “Toby has to be gone five days a week for work” point, particularly with him working for a tech company. Maybe there’s some ret-conning going on with the dreaded smoker of death and the fights over the kids diets to make the reasons for the break up more plausible.

Someone unthread mentioned that the Pearson kids can be so mean sometimes. Very true.  Their narcissism and “my way or the highway” approach to problems seem to have been inherited from St Jack the Great. 

• Love 7
On 3/8/2022 at 9:12 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I thought Miguel was out of line with the way he approached Kevin.  Kevin misinterpreted Miguel's request for a guesthouse because Miguel buried the lede.

agree completely. Miguel was a jerk. Here is Kevin happily showing people the plans and he for no apparent reason asks about a guest house/guest quarters. It wasn't like that is such an obvious thing. So if you are going to go "you missed X" you should explain why--otherwise you are the jerk.

• Love 7

They were interrupted before Miguel could explain why he was asking about a guest house.  See also Toby and Kate being interrupted when they finally started their much needed conversation.  I hate that trope.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

They were interrupted before Miguel could explain why he was asking about a guest house.  See also Toby and Kate being interrupted when they finally started their much needed conversation.  I hate that trope.

They were interrupted,  but Miguel's opener was "where's the guesthouse."  He could have waited until after Kevin's spiel about the design.  Or just wait until after Rebecca's talk.  Kevin is the one paying for this and taking the lead to make it happen so I can see where it rubbed Kevin the wrong way.  It came off as Miguel trying to take advantage of Kevin's generosity or backseat driving because Miguel and Rebecca don't trust Kevin.  Then, when Kevin gets all of the info,  he feels like an ass for making the fishing buddies comment.  

• Love 7
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe, it’s because it contained a couple of my pet peeves.  One, is keeping an ingredient as a secret in a family favorite dish.  As another poster mentioned, unless you’re entering cooking competitions, what’s the point?  Imo, it’s silly with a mean steak in it.

Well, now we know the secret ingredient. Unexpected!

Heh, you gotta love a punny typo.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 3/8/2022 at 10:11 PM, debraran said:

Kevin was nasty and it was hard to listen because you knew what was going to happen and Miguel would leave.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I've always liked that it took Kevin lots of time to like Miguel.  The writers have allowed a character (Kevin) to express an idea that I think some children would have if one of their parents married their dead spouse's best friend.

Unlike Kevin and Madison, Kevin and Kate are siblings,  They weren't each married to Madison.

I've never been a fan of Rebecca and Miguel.  Jack and Rebecca are rightly criticized for being an over-the-top love story, but I think Rebecca and Miguel are given too much credit for what seems more like a pairing of convenience.  He was always just there, and she really didn't date anyone seriously. It's always felt to me that he was just easier for her to stay within the sphere she created with Jack.  That's her choice, but I don't see that as a love story.  Never have.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

I would have to agree with Toby regarding Jack's potential to grow up heavy and understand why he's concerned. 

I see both Toby and Kate's points because they are both right.  It's reality that Kate is the weight she is, and Toby also has had issues with weight.  This is no different to me than being aware of breast cancer, mental illness, genetic conditions, or anything else that runs in families.  Weight happens to be the situation in the Damon family. Yet, Kate is also right about it being a holiday.  The frustrating thing is that we know they're not going to talk about it because the flash forward tells us Kate has to hurry up and get to Phillip.

ETA:

I have a feeling Miguel will be gone by the flash forward and Kate will, indeed, have to make some hard decisions.

I think that's exactly where we're going.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, Shermie said:

Isn’t Hailey younger than Jack? Maybe Rebecca thought Hailey was too young for the “licking the spatula” thing, whereas Jack was old enough to enjoy it. Which he did, saying, “It’s good.”

You're right, she is younger, so maybe that was the reason.  Still rubbed me the wrong way.  She could have said "Can Hailey try it?"  Or something similar.  Then Kate the all-knowing could say "No, she's too young, mom, WTF?"

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 3/8/2022 at 11:50 PM, chocolatine said:

We haven't seen Kate in the flash-forward either. Rebecca obviously didn't think it was possible that Kate wouldn't be around to make decisions for her care either, but maybe that's what ends up happening?

I think this episode foreshadows that Kate WILL be around. In fact, I think that's exactly the reason for the scene and Rebecca's directive. Both Kevin and Randall seemed visibly surprised, which is the point. I think the audience was supposed to be surprised, but when we get to the end of the series, a big decision will have to be made...and Bug will have to make it.

Rebecca explicitly told Kate, "It's always been you, Kate."  Kate is also the only one who has a nickname.  We're talking about lack of communication here, and I think we're about to see something Rebecca always felt about Kate but could never express to her until the end of Rebecca's life.  In my opinion, we're about to see what that is.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, madmax said:

You're right, she is younger, so maybe that was the reason.  Still rubbed me the wrong way.  She could have said "Can Hailey try it?"  Or something similar.  Then Kate the all-knowing could say "No, she's too young, mom, WTF?"

What?  And have yet another mother-daughter squabble?  😲

• LOL 3
43 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I've always liked that it took Kevin lots of time to like Miguel.  The writers have allowed a character (Kevin) to express an idea that I think some children would have if one of their parents married their dead spouse's best friend.

Unlike Kevin and Madison, Kevin and Kate are siblings,  They weren't each married to Madison.

First paragraph:  Agree in that it would have been unrealistic for at least one of the Big Three to not think that way.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, madmax said:

Was she even in the room? Maybe she was napping..

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Was she even in the room? Maybe she was napping..

She probably was "napping."  I never really question when a show does not have their small children in every episode.   Kids are kids and they have bad days.  Add in a location shoot and I can see why they only had Jack in this episode.  And then we got a Hailey sighting in the final scene.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

She probably was "napping."  I never really question when a show does not have their small children in every episode.   Kids are kids and they have bad days.  Add in a location shoot and I can see why they only had Jack in this episode

Plus there are strict limitations on the number of hours small children can be on set

• Love 1

How old is young Jack suppose to be in this episode.  Find it interesting that he is supposedly walking around with a cane.  Would have thought he was too young to teach him how to do that.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I've never been a fan of Rebecca and Miguel.  Jack and Rebecca are rightly criticized for being an over-the-top love story, but I think Rebecca and Miguel are given too much credit for what seems more like a pairing of convenience.  He was always just there, and she really didn't date anyone seriously. It's always felt to me that he was just easier for her to stay within the sphere she created with Jack.  That's her choice, but I don't see that as a love story.  Never have.

When my husband died, my daughter (then 14) was encouraging me to date almost six months after.   However,  when it appeared that one of his childhood besties seemed interested in me (seemed interested, he never made any overtures at all but I might have dated him if he had!) my daughter was adamantly against that.  So yeah, the best friend of your dad now becoming your mom's love interest would be weird.

On why they couldn't go outside the sphere:  well, otherwise they wouldn't have Becca's love interest regaling in all things Jack!  God forbid she meet someone who didn't idolize Jack.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

3 hours ago, cameron said:

How old is young Jack suppose to be in this episode.  Find it interesting that he is supposedly walking around with a cane.  Would have thought he was too young to teach him how to do that.

The TIU wiki says he was born March 5, 2019; it's Thanksgiving, I'm guessing 2021, in show so he's about two and a half.

According to this article they can use them as young as 2 (another link said as soon as they start walking).

"A white cane is a vital tool for all children who are blind but specifically in children ages 2-years old to 12-years due to the development of neurons and the capacity the brain has to process the world.  This time period is considered an optimal developmental period."

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

The TIU wiki says he was born March 5, 2019; it's Thanksgiving, I'm guessing 2021, in show so he's about two and a half.

According to this article they can use them as young as 2 (another link said as soon as they start walking).

"A white cane is a vital tool for all children who are blind but specifically in children ages 2-years old to 12-years due to the development of neurons and the capacity the brain has to process the world.  This time period is considered an optimal developmental period."

Thanks for the answer.  Never knew that.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, cameron said:

Thanks for the answer.  Never knew that.

Me, neither. :)

Even bad TV can be educational, if only because someone saying "would that really happen?" prompts me to google and find out!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

However,  when it appeared that one of his childhood besties seemed interested in me (seemed interested, he never made any overtures at all but I might have dated him if he had!) my daughter was adamantly against that.  So yeah, the best friend of your dad now becoming your mom's love interest would be weird.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.  You said your daughter was 14.

True story: My parents had my youngest sibling when I was 15.  When they announced they were having a fourth child, I actually said "You're going to adopt a kid?"  They weren't.  There are certain things that one "knows" happen, but one does not need to think about those things happening with one's parents.  Though not an apples to apples comparison here, the intimacy of such "sharing," and ALL that entails....just something I know I'd have a problem with.  (Won't happen in my family because neither one of my parents has a friend like Miguel but I would be like Kevin. There are plenty of people in the world.  Pick someone other than Dad/Mom's bestie.

In the case of TIU, I think it's just laziness that we're supposed to think of as sweet.  Kevin has dated several women since Sophie.  Rebecca never dated anyone outside her sphere.  It was like "Jack's dead.  Insert Miguel," and then the writers tried to create backstory for Miguel and Rebecca.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohmo said:

There are certain things that one "knows" happen, but one does not need to think about those things happening with one's parents. 

I immediately thought of City Slickers, when Billy Crystal is relating about seeing his parents having sex on the dinner table.  Daniel Stern replies, "That must have been traumatic to your childhood."  To which Crystal says "What childhood?  This was three weeks ago."

• LOL 7
  • Love 1