Type keyword(s) to search

What Are We Currently Reading?

Rick Kitchen
  • Start Topic

Halfway through The Vagrant by Peter Newman. A really cool, interesting world being built, and I hope it's just the first of a series of books set in it. But I'm not a fan of present tense prose. It always feels colder and more detached than past tense. That's not helped in this case by the remoteness of the protagonist, who doesn't speak and who we don't learn much about at all. But despite that, it's still an enjoyable read.

• Love 1

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie: This is a property that is so widely-known in pop culture that I was interested to go back to the original source (well, that would be the play, I guess, but the novel is the Barrie work that most people actually read). The most famous iteration of this story is the 1953 Disney version, of course, and when you consider how many of their adaptations stray wildly from the source, their Peter Pan is quite faithful, albeit toned down (there's quite a lot of killing here, even by John and Michael). A lot of details you would guess might have been made up, like the kids have a dog for a nanny, are actually from the book. Barrie's very active narrative voice is consistently fun. The final chapter, which hasn't made it into other media adaptations much, is intriguingly wistful, though at the same time the final paragraph of the preceding chapter is also very obviously written as if to be a conclusion to the novel.

Also, yes, the "redskins" are pretty racist in the original form too. Though Tiger Lilly is a warrior in this novel.

• Love 1

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie: This is a property that is so widely-known in pop culture that I was interested to go back to the original source (well, that would be the play, I guess, but the novel is the Barrie work that most people actually read). The most famous iteration of this story is the 1953 Disney version, of course, and when you consider how many of their adaptations stray wildly from the source, their Peter Pan is quite faithful, albeit toned down (there's quite a lot of killing here, even by John and Michael). A lot of details you would guess might have been made up, like the kids have a dog for a nanny, are actually from the book. Barrie's very active narrative voice is consistently fun. The final chapter, which hasn't made it into other media adaptations much, is intriguingly wistful, though at the same time the final paragraph of the preceding chapter is also very obviously written as if to be a conclusion to the novel.

Also, yes, the "redskins" are pretty racist in the original form too. Though Tiger Lilly is a warrior in this novel.

In the same way, Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling is worth a reread - very powerful, both in its scary parts (Kaa's hypnotizing dance scared the hell out of me when I first read it) and the more tender moments (mama, papa and brother wolves are awesome!). Plus in the version I have Jungle Book is just one of many short stories, and the rest is good too.  

• Love 1

I just finished Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes.  It's a follow-up to You which I read earlier this year.  I didn't like You at first but once it got going I really appreciated it and the sequel is even better.  Who knew you could have so much fun with a psychopath.

Now I'm almost halfway through the highly touted Innocents and Others by Dana Spiotta.  I remember liking her Stone Arabia but this one has two story lines going and I don't know how or even if they're ever going to connect.  I'm not loving it.

Making Time, a Life of Lillian Moller Gilbreth beyond Cheaper by the Dozen by Jane Lancaster. I think I might have gotten the recommendation here! A little dry at times but overall a fascinating look at a truly remarkable woman.

Finished Innocents and Others.  Okay but not worth the hype.

Loving The Widow!  I'm only about 40 pages in and yes, you can file it right alongside Girl on a Train et al  but it's a fun read so far.

(edited)

I completed The Silkworm more than a month ago but per my comment on the previous page, I wanted to comment on it again having read the whole thing. I officially hated it more than The Cuckoo's Calling and the conclusion of the mystery made no damn sense. Don't get me wrong, I got the explanation and accepted who the guilty person was but I just didn't buy how Cormoran figured it out and how the leap was made. The whole thing felt very rushed and thrown together. 

I also officially can't stand Cormoran and Robin. The point where I completely lost it was when Robin went to interview some old man who owned a book shop, about what he saw. She quickly makes some comment about the man giving off the pretentious air of someone used to only his company and thinking what he had to say was super important (paraphrasing). I think that was the point I literally screamed out loud, "oh for crying out loud, is there not ONE character those two meet that isn't judged and who they are critical of?" I mean seriously, couldn't the guy just be a nice little old man in his little book shop who may or may not have seen something relevant to the mystery? 

But the ultimate for me was the funeral for Robin's fiance's mother. Not only does Robin almost miss the funeral of the mother of the fiance she's been with for like seven years and known most of her life but then at the funeral we have to hear her thoughts on how she didn't really care much for the mother because she apparently didn't really like her, Robin. Like yes, let's judge the dead woman the readers barely even knew at her funeral no less. And then of course she apparently also can't stand the fiance's father or siblings. Like it is amazing Robin and Cormoran can get through a day being so turned off by everyone. It amazes me that JK Rowling clearly does not realize how unappealing this makes the characters. I agree with someone who wonders if that's how she is in her normal life so that's why she doesn't realize that it's a turn off. I gave the series two tries with the first and second book and that was enough. I'm not reading the third. 

As for what I'm currently reading - I just started Harlan Coben's The Stranger and I have to say it's pretty intriguing so far. I'm really interested to find out where it's going. I'm also simultaneously reading Madeline Roux' Asylum

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

As for what I'm currently reading - I just started Harlan Coben's The Stranger and I have to say it's pretty intriguing so far. I'm really interested to find out where it's going.  

I LOVE Harlan Coben.  The Stranger wasn't one of my favorites though.  I'm currently reading his new book Fool Me Once.

• Love 1

I just finished Girl Waits With Gun (Amy Stewart).  I found it a little old fashioned but an enjoyable read.  It's supposed to be based on real events, and I would say rather loosely at that.  I also think the book was a little too long.

I am loving Jane Steele.  If you're a Jane Eyre fan, I highly recommend this tribute.  It takes place a few years after JE was published and while the heroine acknowledges the many parallels to Eyre in her own life, let's just say Ms. Steele is a tad more aggressive in response to those who are unkind to her.

I completed The Silkworm more than a month ago but per my comment on the previous page, I wanted to comment on it again having read the whole thing. I officially hated it more than The Cuckoo's Calling and the conclusion of the mystery made no damn sense. Don't get me wrong, I got the explanation and accepted who the guilty person was but I just didn't buy how Cormoran figured it out and how the leap was made. The whole thing felt very rushed and thrown together. 

I also officially can't stand Cormoran and Robin. The point where I completely lost it was when Robin went to interview some old man who owned a book shop, about what he saw. She quickly makes some comment about the man giving off the pretentious air of someone used to only his company and thinking what he had to say was super important (paraphrasing). I think that was the point I literally screamed out loud, "oh for crying out loud, is there not ONE character those two meet that isn't judged and who they are critical of?" I mean seriously, couldn't the guy just be a nice little old man in his little book shop who may or may not have seen something relevant to the mystery? 

But the ultimate for me was the funeral for Robin's fiance's mother. Not only does Robin almost miss the funeral of the mother of the fiance she's been with for like seven years and known most of her life but then at the funeral we have to hear her thoughts on how she didn't really care much for the mother because she apparently didn't really like her, Robin. Like yes, let's judge the dead woman the readers barely even knew at her funeral no less. And then of course she apparently also can't stand the fiance's father or siblings. Like it is amazing Robin and Cormoran can get through a day being so turned off by everyone. It amazes me that JK Rowling clearly does not realize how unappealing this makes the characters. I agree with someone who wonders if that's how she is in her normal life so that's why she doesn't realize that it's a turn off. I gave the series two tries with the first and second book and that was enough. I'm not reading the third. 

As for what I'm currently reading - I just started Harlan Coben's The Stranger and I have to say it's pretty intriguing so far. I'm really interested to find out where it's going. I'm also simultaneously reading Madeline Roux' Asylum

I haven't read the book but your post made me lol - litterally!

I totally agree with your assessment of this series by J. K. Rowling/Robert Galbraith.  I'm done with the series.  And I wonder if these books would have been as popular if it hadn't been leaked that Galbraith was really Rowling. 

(edited)

There is no question in my mind that they would not have been. I think the sales after the reveal speak for itself. The book was languishing in mediocre sales land until it got "leaked" that it was really by J.K. Rowling and then it immediately surged in sales. Also "coincidentally", the majority of the positive reviews came after that revelation as well. Certainly there are some success stories that defy logic, like the popularity of the 50 Shades of Grey books. But I just cannot believe this series would be the huge best seller it is, especially considering how freaking slow the first book was, if it hadn't been leaked that it was really J.K. Rowling writing it under a pseudonym.

The never-ending posts, articles, etc. about Harry Potter proves that there are many who are still obsessed with and practically hold Rowling up as some deity because of that series and that has extended somewhat to her other stuff, whether it's good or not. Obviously they won't sell like the Harry Potter series because well both the Cormoran series and The Casual Vacancy are intended for more mature audiences. But they will still sell very well and far more than other authors who didn't make a career on a globally beloved series about a young wizard. 

I haven't read the book but your post made me lol

Thanks. The sad part is I wish I was exaggerating in any part of my comment, even a little bit. But I'm not. It really is that bad. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Well I would think it was obvious that the comment wasn't speaking for every single person but again it's kind of hard to ignore that the first book sold less than 1,000 copies I believe, in its first three months and immediately after the reveal it sold over 10,000 in a few days. I'm sure there are people who genuinely enjoy the series but in my opinion, there is no way to ignore that without J.K's name attached it likely would not be the bestseller that it is.

As for the quality of the books, I don't think it's the worse thing ever because J.K. is obviously a more than decent writer. I just personally hate both main characters so I just don't see a point in reading the series anymore. Like while I get why some hated The Casual Vacancy because it was pretty damn bleak and depressing, I actually liked it well enough because at least with that one, I felt like we were supposed to hate most of these people and most of them were meant to unlikable. I don't think that's the case with Cormoran and Robin but I sure do hate them both. Also, I really do think the ending of The Silkworm was shit. While the info dump scene in The Cuckoo's Calling was a little drawn out, at least it provided the reader a clear understanding of how Cormoran figured out the murderer. The Silkworm just seemed rushed and thrown together in the end. 

I actually just finished the third in the series, Cormoran series, Career of Evil and I loathe Robin, her relationship with her fiance and and the stupid way she writes the relationship of Robin and Cormoran. BUT what I hate, lothe, despise, makes me glad I got the book on my Kindle (through the library) so I couldn't throw it into a fire when the scenes came around is J.K. writing in dialects that even her main characters have difficulty comprehending. It is beyond affected and aggrivating as hell. Seriously, I feel I lose brain cells reading her interpretations of accents that I actually don't have much difficulty comprehendin when I am actually he ring them.

• Love 2

Just finished a trilogy by Devon Monk that I enjoyed.  I listened to the 1st 2 and read the 3rd.

1. House Immortal – September 2014

2. Infinity Bell – March 2015

3. Crucible Zero – September 2015

House-Immortal-Final-390x640-186x300.jpg

One hundred years ago, eleven powerful ruling Houses consolidated all of the world’s resources and authority into their own grasping hands. Only one power wasn’t placed under the command of a single House: the control over the immortal galvanized….

Matilda Case isn’t like most folk. In fact, she’s unique in the world, the crowning achievement of her father’s experiments, a girl pieced together from bits. Or so she believes, until Abraham Seventh shows up at her door, stitched with life thread just like her and insisting that enemies are coming to kill them all.Tilly is one of thirteen incredible creations known as the galvanized, stitched together beings immortal and unfathomably strong. For a century, each House has fought for control over the galvanized. Now the Houses are also tangled in a deadly struggle for dominion over death—and Tilly and her kind hold the key to unlocking eternity The secrets that Tilly must fight to protect are hidden within the very seams of her being. And to get the secrets, her enemies are willing to tear her apart piece by piece.…

http://www.devonmonk.com/house-immortal-excerpt/

(edited)

Not sure if this is kosher, but I've been on TWOP/previously forever (meaning, this isn't a sock poppet account), and I wrote a book. Additionally, it's free today, so I'm not attempting to extract any money out of y'all. :) (I'd run the blurb but I'm trying to be as unobtrusive as possible.) 

Edited by kieyra

Recently finished Secessia by Kent Wascom. New Orleans during the occupation by Colonel Benjamin Butler's Union forces in 1862. Short chapters, each from the POV of one of five people who are dealing with death, sexual obsession, coming of age. I liked it a lot.

Just started The Edge of Sadness by Edwin O'Connor. A Catholic priest in the early 1960's, before the big changes were made in the church. I don't think there's a plot -- just the priest, his friends and parishioners, going through life, observing and commenting.  Reading this book is like getting a hug.

In the Heat of the Night by John Ball.  I love the movie.  It's permanently on the DVR.  Steiger and Poitier are magnificent, and their relationship makes the movie spark (also the music).  But the murder and its solution has never made sense, so I decided to read the book.  The murder/solution makes no sense in the book either.  The book is quite different.  Sam Wood is part protagonist, part Greek chorus and most of the book is from his point of view.  He's nothing like Warren Oates.  He's 6'4" and the beautiful young daughter of an Italian symphony conductor falls for him after one brief conversation.. 

Virgil Tibbs (Poitier in the movie) is a -- is there a word for a male Mary Sue? -- that word.  He's heroically patient with the overt racism, bends over backwards not to offend.  I know the South was dangerous for black men in 1960, but the author doesn't even let Tibbs have an uncharitable thought.  It's maddening.

Also, the author violates the "show, don't tell" rule, he uses too many adverbs in dialogue tags, and the writing style is pedestrian.  "Virgil put on his coat, walked to the car and got inside.  He started the car and drove away."  Not word for word, but the whole book was like that.  Oh, and one reason Tibbs doesn't believe Dolores Purdy was a rape victim?  She wore tight clothes and a pointy bra.  Sure sign of a slut, you bet'cha.

I'll just pretend the book doesn't exist when I watch the movie.

Finally finished It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis. It took me awhile to get into it, and it's slow to begin, but then it's terrifying. America's descent into fascism, with concentration camps for the regime's political opponents, the oppression of Jews and blacks are all too possible -- especially in today's hateful political climate.

Now I'm reading Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie. I've liked his other books on Russian history.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3

Ruin by John Gwynne. The third in his series, The Faithful and the Fallen. I'm enjoying it a lot. The world is really interesting, and I do like fantasy novels that take their inspiration more from the Dark Ages than the heights of Medieval chivalry. The characters are engaging and sympathetic.

My one real complaint is that the bad guys just keep racking up wins, and keep being smarter and more dangerous and capable than the good guys. But there are signs of that changing, now. Honestly, if you keep grinding your heroes down for too long, readers will get tired of it and move on.

• Love 2

Recently finished The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman. While I loved the series and found it wholly satisfying, in the end, I loathed 

the way Alice was pretty much Buffy Season 6'd. "I was happy and then you pulled me back into human existence!"

. The rant went on for a couple of chapters, scarcely interrupted.

Never dreamed that I would come away liking Janet the most, of the cast. Her time in the desert, the cruel reaction to that, her ultimate triumph and overall savvy - had me crying on public transit.

The Plum character, however, was really convenient, in terms of the endless Chatwin arc. I found her a complete snooze/ Cousin Oliver/Great-grandaughter Oliver. I understood and made my peace with the fact that she also showed the reader Quentin, from another character's perspective. But she bored me.

I thought The Magician King was the series' strongest installment.

Edited by AltLivia
  • Love 1

I thought The Magician's Land suffered from "final book in a trilogy" syndrome. It was disappointing, & I'm tired of the final book in trilogies being disappointing.

• Love 1

I know I'm late to the party and that most of you have probably already read it, but I just finished reading Gone Girl. I thought it was a really good and well-written book even though someone had already told me before about the twist after they watched the movie. However, I had no idea how it would end so that's what kept me going. I imagined the book ending in so many different ways than how it really ended so I was just left kind of speechless. I didn't love it or hate it and in a weird way, I wasn't surprised by it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that given how flawed both Nick and especially Amy were, it seems like this would be an end that seemed fit for both of them, but I was hoping that someone would finally outsmart Amy and that she would get caught. I ended up feeling bad for Nick for feeling the need to stay with a psycho for the sake of their baby.

• Love 3

Finally finished It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis. It took me awhile to get into it, and it's slow to begin, but then it's terrifying. America's descent into fascism, with concentration camps for the regime's political opponents, the oppression of Jews and blacks are all too possible -- especially in today's hateful political climate.

I discovered Sinclair Lewis in high school (ahem, over 40 years ago....) and I have loved him ever since. His work is subtle and it takes effort to get into it but it is well worth it. The observation is so keen and he is so quintessentially American! I have given It Can't Happen Here as a gift countless times. Other faves are Main Street, Elmer Gantry (especially resonant today with the rise of mega churches and fundamentalism) and Arrowsmith. They were written almost a hundred years ago, but you can see some of the same attitudes and points of view today! Great stuff.

• Love 4

I just finished The Guest Room too. It was ok. It was hard for me to care about about any of the characters. I think I need to give up on this author. I loved The Law of Similars and Midwives and this book like others since don't live up to them.

• Love 1

I just finished The Guest Room too. It was ok. It was hard for me to care about about any of the characters. I think I need to give up on this author. I loved The Law of Similars and Midwives and this book like others since don't live up to them.

This was the only book I've ever read by Chris Bohjalian and when I started it I thought, wow, this is going to be some book.  And as it progressed, I agree with you, I didn't care about any of the characters.  And, even worse, I thought the writing style was sort of amateurish.  So no more books for me by this author.

I know I'm late to the party and that most of you have probably already read it, but I just finished reading Gone Girl. I thought it was a really good and well-written book even though someone had already told me before about the twist after they watched the movie. However, I had no idea how it would end so that's what kept me going. I imagined the book ending in so many different ways than how it really ended so I was just left kind of speechless. I didn't love it or hate it and in a weird way, I wasn't surprised by it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that given how flawed both Nick and especially Amy were, it seems like this would be an end that seemed fit for both of them, but I was hoping that someone would finally outsmart Amy and that she would get caught. I ended up feeling bad for Nick for feeling the need to stay with a psycho for the sake of their baby.

I know a lot of people like to say they hated this book, but I really liked it.  I thought it was very clever.  Unfortunately, any book now that has any kind of twist is the "new" Gone Girl.  And so far, none of them are (including Girl on The Train).

• Love 1

Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Hollywood by Mark Harris.  Recommended by someone at IMDB as we were discussing In the Heat of the Night, the differences between the book and the movie.

It's about the very different movies that were nominated for Best Picture Oscars in 1968 -- In the Heat of the Night, The Graduate, Dr. Dolittle, Bonnie and Clyde, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.  Harris goes into detail about how the movies were made, from idea through casting, production, etc.  It's all really interesting and well-researched, almost a history of Hollywood.  He writes about other movies as well.

I'd recommend it for people who like movies and want to know more about how they're made -- the process and the personalities.  It's fascinating. 

I had no idea that Francois Truffaut was first choice to direct Bonnie and Clyde, or that at one point, New Jersey was considered as the filming location.  Or that Rex Harrison was a mean drunk and his wife was a suicidal alcoholic. 

ETA: Fixed a goof!

Edited by AuntiePam
  • Love 2

This was the only book I've ever read by Chris Bohjalian and when I started it I thought, wow, this is going to be some book. And as it progressed, I agree with you, I didn't care about any of the characters. And, even worse, I thought the writing style was sort of amateurish. So no more books for me by this author.

I know a lot of people like to say they hated this book, but I really liked it. I thought it was very clever. Unfortunately, any book now that has any kind of twist is the "new" Gone Girl. And so far, none of them are (including Girl on The Train).

yes! this (I liked Gone Girl) and this (girl in the train). I couldn't even finish Girl on the Train. I bought it because it seemed like a book I would read again so was bummed I wasted the money. Edited to add - give Midwives and Law of Similars a chance..... Edited by Readalot
  • Love 1

I finally finished The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, and I think its going to stick with me for a while. For a work of fiction, it seemed more real than actual accounts of the war in Vietnam, and I'm going to find and read O'Brien's nonfiction book If I Should Die In A Combat Zone, Box Me Up And Ship Me Home next.

I finally finished The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, and I think its going to stick with me for a while. For a work of fiction, it seemed more real than actual accounts of the war in Vietnam, and I'm going to find and read O'Brien's nonfiction book If I Should Die In A Combat Zone, Box Me Up And Ship Me Home next.

I have not read The Things They Carried but have a NamVet friend who recommends that book any time anyone asks him what it was like.

Every, I think, Memorial Day NPR presents a reading from Things and it is incredibly moving.

In my quest to read as much NordicNoir as possible I just finished I'm Traveling Alone by Samuel Bjork. If it's the first in a series I will read more. Very fast-paced with interesting characters.

Seems like many NN books invoke some kind of mysticism/esp/otherworld as a storyline. Not a topic I usually enjoy but I'm not finding it as intrusive as I once did. Though I have rolled my eyes a couple few times.

If you want to read a really good book that takes place in OIF, try Redeployment, Phil Klay's short story collection about Marines in Iraq.

For a work of fiction, it seemed more real than actual accounts of the war in Vietnam, and I'm going to find and read O'Brien's nonfiction book If I Should Die In A Combat Zone, Box Me Up And Ship Me Home next.

I love that he even addresses that in "How to Tell a True War Story". I think that book was probably the first time (we read it in 9th grade English for some reason) I was introduced to to the idea of fiction being able to be more true than the truth. I haven't read anything else by him for no good reason and should probably change that... I haven't really read so many real accounts of Vietnam but I did read Dispatches and the Khe Sanh section I think shared a lot with The Things they Carried especially that one story where they're operating the radio in the mountains...

I love that he even addresses that in "How to Tell a True War Story". I think that book was probably the first time (we read it in 9th grade English for some reason) I was introduced to to the idea of fiction being able to be more true than the truth.

The chapter where he describes going back to Vietnam (with his daughter, of all things) so that he can

return his buddy Kiowa's backpack to the swampy spot where the guy basically drowned in shit

is positively haunting. But then again even that might not be the whole truth, since he also says that one day he would like to tell his daughter the real truth about the war, that he killed someone. Or maybe he never killed anyone. Because everything can be true in the moment that you tell it.

• Love 1

I just came across this entire forum all about books!  I've already glanced through a few pages and found some suggestions for books to read.  

I read e-books which I borrow from the library, so sometimes there's a long wait for a book, especially new releases and best sellers.  Then again, sometimes best sellers are so popular there 30 or more e-books available, so the wait-times go quickly.

Since January I've been slowing reading the Outlander books. That's kinda how I found this forum, as I had found the Outlander tv and book forum and managed to stumble over this one.  I've read the first 4 Outlander books and am waiting for The Fiery Cross to become available. I'm # 14 on 3 copies, so it will be a while yet.

So meanwhile I've been reading other books.  I'm currently reading Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper, which is a non-fiction story of a woman with 3 cats, one of whom, Homer, is blind.  I love cats and can't believe I've never read this book before!

Anyway, glad to have found this forum.  I will be back. :)

• Love 10

I've been struggling with C. J. Cherryh's latest Foreigner/Atevi sequence novel, Visitor.  Much of the same problems of the last books.  It is my biggest reading failing not being willing to jettison this by now.  But I love so much of her writing and considering the winnowing of so many of my favorite sf/fantasy authors way too young lately, I hesitate to let a master get sidelined even for some rather logical reasons.

There is still too much of the main characters thinking about what happened before and what is happening and what might happen.  The one small bright spot is that there is less redundancy with the two points of view.  And she seems to have drawn back a little of the focus from Cajeiri.  When he was first introduced as a pov I was worried as I thought the use of a child would be too twee and precious but she made it work.  But after a few books she spent too much time and focus on him and it just drained the series of much of its suspense.  So I was glad he was not the largest focus.  But it is still dragging, at the halfway point it feels nothing has actually happened.

I'm too contrary to give up but I have an advanced copy of Guy Gavriel Kay's upcoming book and I so want to be all over that. 

I was disappointed with the Adrian Selby's Snakewood which felt like it was an attempt to take certain style elements that have proven successful with other authors in the genre and simply smash them together without considering how they worked or what it achieved in simple storytelling manner. 

Read L.S. Hilton's Maestra.  Had some flaws, the sex scenes felt a bit over the top and never felt organic to the plot.  More of an element the author dumps on the reader to try and prove how gritty and adult the book is.  And there were some slight twists in the second half that I felt never came together.  But I did find it a strong read that I kept with and went through rather quickly.  Definitely want to see where this goes.  I did like the cold blooded and matter of fact lead character.  It never felt like the author tried to mitigate her actions in a way that made it easy for the reader to consider her.  Let alone just be interested in what happens to her. 

Also read Lian Hearn's Emperor of the Eight Isles.  I found this a little dragging at the start compared to how the first book in the Tales of the Otari just grabbed me and never let go.  This has a more detached narrative style for me but then it picked up and I have the second book which will be read after Kay assuming I can get this damn Cherryh book finished. 

I've been struggling with C. J. Cherryh's latest Foreigner/Atevi sequence novel, Visitor.  Much of the same problems of the last books.  It is my biggest reading failing not being willing to jettison this by now.  But I love so much of her writing and considering the winnowing of so many of my favorite sf/fantasy authors way too young lately, I hesitate to let a master get sidelined even for some rather logical reasons.

There is still too much of the main characters thinking about what happened before and what is happening and what might happen.  The one small bright spot is that there is less redundancy with the two points of view.  And she seems to have drawn back a little of the focus from Cajeiri.  When he was first introduced as a pov I was worried as I thought the use of a child would be too twee and precious but she made it work.  But after a few books she spent too much time and focus on him and it just drained the series of much of its suspense.  So I was glad he was not the largest focus.  But it is still dragging, at the halfway point it feels nothing has actually happened.

I'm too contrary to give up but I have an advanced copy of Guy Gavriel Kay's upcoming book and I so want to be all over that. 

I was disappointed with the Adrian Selby's Snakewood which felt like it was an attempt to take certain style elements that have proven successful with other authors in the genre and simply smash them together without considering how they worked or what it achieved in simple storytelling manner. 

Read L.S. Hilton's Maestra.  Had some flaws, the sex scenes felt a bit over the top and never felt organic to the plot.  More of an element the author dumps on the reader to try and prove how gritty and adult the book is.  And there were some slight twists in the second half that I felt never came together.  But I did find it a strong read that I kept with and went through rather quickly.  Definitely want to see where this goes.  I did like the cold blooded and matter of fact lead character.  It never felt like the author tried to mitigate her actions in a way that made it easy for the reader to consider her.  Let alone just be interested in what happens to her. 

Also read Lian Hearn's Emperor of the Eight Isles.  I found this a little dragging at the start compared to how the first book in the Tales of the Otari just grabbed me and never let go.  This has a more detached narrative style for me but then it picked up and I have the second book which will be read after Kay assuming I can get this damn Cherryh book finished. 

Finished Mark Harris's book -- Pictures at a Revolution: The Five Movies That Changed Hollywood -- and if anyone has recommendations for other books about movies and movie-making, I'd love to know them.  This was excellent.

Started Shavetail by Thomas Cobb.  1871, Southwest, the Army and Apaches.  It's violent but not the pandering kind of violent -- just matter of fact.  There's a lot of humor.  It reminds me a bit of Lonesome Dove.

I was all set to read Carry On by Rainbow Rowell until I found out it was a spin off of Fangirl so I'm reading that right now. I'm told you don't need to read Fangirl, but my reading OCD says I do.

I also scored a free copy of Gone With the Wind so that's going to be soon. I read that years ago but don't remember most of the details.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 1