Type keyword(s) to search

What Are We Currently Reading?

Rick Kitchen
  • Start Topic

After loving The Witching Hour, I thought Lasher and Taltos were both disappointing. I also wasn't a big fan of the character of Mona. Still, it's something I've always thought would make a great cable series.

I'm currently reading the second book in Pierce Brown's Red Rising trilogy. I'm really enjoying the series so far.

• Love 2

I just finished The Girl on the Train. I liked it fine. It's not The Best Mystery Ever, but I found it satisfying enough. It's a perfect book for my book club, where we talk about the book for 20 minutes before polishing off a couple of bottles of wine.

Funny enough, The Casual Vacancy is one of the reasons I've stuck with The Cuckoo's Calling because that one was painful for me as well at the start and I struggled to make it through the first 150 pages to the point that I had to put it down and pick it up again later. But when I did, I felt that it really picked up once every character and relationship to each other was established. I actually flew through the remainder of the book.

I haven't read Cuckoo's Calling, but like you I did come to enjoy The Casual Vacancy. The first few chapters were a bit of a slog, but I loved the remainder of it and even surprised myself by crying at the end!

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

After seeing it mentioned in all the talk about the Gilmore Girls' reunion I read The Royal We, which I 95% enjoyed.  Sometimes I did lose patience during the bouts of self-pity and I kind of snickered at how many people were in love with one of the characters (I forget the trope name for that), but overall it was a fun book and it kept me entertained.  To put this in some kind of a context since I suck at writing reviews, I love authors along the lines of Maeve Binchy, Jane Green and Maryanne Keyes.  If you like something by those kinds of authors there is a decent chance you'll like this.  

• Love 1

After seeing it mentioned in all the talk about the Gilmore Girls' reunion I read The Royal We, which I 95% enjoyed.  Sometimes I did lose patience during the bouts of self-pity and I kind of snickered at how many people were in love with one of the characters (I forget the trope name for that), but overall it was a fun book and it kept me entertained. 

Yes, I felt the same way. The book is basically Kate Middleton fanfiction and as a result, the protagonist bordered on being a Mary Sue with so many characters in love with her. The film rights have been optioned so they may make a movie of it yet.

I just finished The Girl on the Train. I liked it fine. It's not The Best Mystery Ever, but I found it satisfying enough. It's a perfect book for my book club, where we talk about the book for 20 minutes before polishing off a couple of bottles of wine.

I had similar feelings towards The Girl on the Train.  It was perfectly enjoyable, but I'm still a little surprised that this became the breakout hit, rather than A Kind Worth Killing which was also hyped around the same time, but was much more surprising. 

• Love 1

I thought The Girl on the Train was a fun ride, but I never really cared about the mystery aspect at all. Honestly I only read the book because the character of Rachel was so entertaining to me. Obviously she was a mess and was going through a difficult time in her life, but her drunken antics just made me laugh the whole way through the book.

Peter Swanson's The Kind Worth Killing bugged me for a while.

However, it became incredibly engrossing to me after the reveal that Miranda was plotting to kill her husband. I liked the cat and mouse game between Lily and Miranda in the back half of the book, particularly after finding out about their shared past when Lily realised she knew Miranda from college through their shared interest in the same man. Who Lily murdered, because he was cheating on her with Miranda (or 'Faith', as she called herself). It became a real page turner at the end and it kept me up for hours when I had barely been interested before the previously mentioned reveals.

I had similar feelings towards The Girl on the Train.  It was perfectly enjoyable, but I'm still a little surprised that this became the breakout hit, rather than A Kind Worth Killing which was also hyped around the same time, but was much more surprising. 

I can't believe Girl On A Train is still on the best seller list.  It seemed so transparent to me, what was going on, and the characters were not only unlikable, but all carbon copies of each other.  I loved The Kind Worth Killing.  It was much more creative, engrossing, surprising and an all around more satisfying book.  I don't understand, either, how one could be a best seller and the other barely mentioned.

I just finished Academy Street by Mary Costello and really loved it. It was a really simple story about a woman's life from childhood in rural Ireland to adulthood in New York City. It was really beautifully written pretty sparsely/economically. It was nice to read a <300 page book for a change that still felt totally complete.

Edited by MeloraH
  • Love 3

I'm reading City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg.  I'm really enjoying it but it's 900 pages of slow going and I'm going to have to send it back to the library unfinished.  I plan to get to a good stopping point, return it and then immediately put it on hold again.

• Love 1

Across a Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund.  It's the semi-sequel to For Darkness Shows the Stars, which I enjoyed a lot.  The first book was a YA dystopian version of Persuasion, while this one I'm currently reading is based on The Scarlet Pimpernel.  I don't know if I would've read either one if it hadn't been for the Austen hook, because after Allegiant and several other disappointing dips into the YA dystopia pool, I told myself I was done.  But like I said, the first book was good and not what I've come to expect from dystopian novels.

Ahh! I just started For Darkness Shows the Stars for exactly the same reasons! I'll have to check out the new one when I'm done. :D

I read Career of Evil (Robert Galbraith aka J. K. Rowling).  Despite all the wonderful reviews I did not enjoy this book.  Too much perversion for me.  I skipped all the chapters told from the point of view of the killer (I hate when someone uses this method of storytelling).  Although all the suspects were deviants and basically interchangeable.  Robin's back story seemed gratuitous.  I feel like so much of this book was filler (she used the killer chapters to pad the book to almost 500 pages).

http://www.amazon.com/The-Apothecary-Rose-Candace-Robb/dp/0753100878

The Owen Archer series by Candace Robb.  Light -- but not too light -- medieval mystery/romance -- set in York in the mid-1300's.  Good characterization -- the people feel real -- and not too much exposition. 

I don't like historicals where the author explains everything that's not familiar to readers.  Don't tell me that a trencher is a big plate or that a wimple is a head-covering -- if you're doing your job right, I'll glean it from the context. 

I'm reading City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg. I'm really enjoying it but it's 900 pages of slow going and I'm going to have to send it back to the library unfinished. I plan to get to a good stopping point, return it and then immediately put it on hold again.

Yeah I think I've decided to wait for it to be a 28 day loan before borrowing. But it does sound potentially amazing.

I read Career of Evil (Robert Galbraith aka J. K. Rowling).  Despite all the wonderful reviews I did not enjoy this book.  Too much perversion for me.  I skipped all the chapters told from the point of view of the killer (I hate when someone uses this method of storytelling).  Although all the suspects were deviants and basically interchangeable.  Robin's back story seemed gratuitous.  I feel like so much of this book was filler (she used the killer chapters to pad the book to almost 500 pages).

I just finished it too, and I kind of agree. It was a really surprising and, I think, unnecessary tone change from the first two books, which I loved. That level of grossness didn't fit. It's tough because I really love Robin and Strike but I'm definitely going to be a little hesitant to read the next one. 

I was okay with Robin's backstory because I think it worked for her character, but I'm mad at JK for 

having her finally dump that shit for brains fiance and then marry him anyway.

Edited by jenrising
  • Love 1

I just started "A Man of Property", the first book of The Forsyte Saga.  I watched the original mini-series, never saw the second one, and I've wanted to read it for a long time, finally bought the whole thing (at a used book sale), and will be plowing my way through it.  Galsworthy is so humorous at the way he portrays these full-of-themselves upper-middle-class characters.  And there are so many of them!  Thank God there's a family tree at the beginning (thought it has spoilers in it), to keep track of the characters.

• Love 1

I just finished it too, and I kind of agree. It was a really surprising and, I think, unnecessary tone change from the first two books, which I loved. That level of grossness didn't fit. It's tough because I really love Robin and Strike but I'm definitely going to be a little hesitant to read the next one. 

I was okay with Robin's backstory because I think it worked for her character, but I'm mad at JK for 

having her finally dump that shit for brains fiance and then marry him anyway.

Crap, I have this book on my "to be read" pile, & I was looking forward to it. I hope she hasn't ruined the series.

Crap, I have this book on my "to be read" pile, & I was looking forward to it. I hope she hasn't ruined the series.

It definitely didn't ruin the series for me, but definitely a MMV kind of thing. I do think it would have helped if I knew there was going to be such a switch in tone, so hopefully being prepared for it will help you. There's some great stuff in the book to be sure but the killer's POV is very explicit and very brutal. 

It definitely didn't ruin the series for me, but definitely a MMV kind of thing. I do think it would have helped if I knew there was going to be such a switch in tone, so hopefully being prepared for it will help you. There's some great stuff in the book to be sure but the killer's POV is very explicit and very brutal. 

It didn't ruin the series for me so far.   I'm still interested in Cormoran and Robin but I may stop reading the series if she continues in this vein.  I think why I hated it so much is that it seemed so unnecessary to this series.  I'm interested in the characters, not this kind of ghoulish sensationalism.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 1

It didn't ruin the series for me so far.   I'm still interested in Cormoran and Robin but I may stop reading the series if she continues in this vein.  I think why I hated it so much is that it seemed so unnecessary to this series.  I'm interested in the characters, not this kind of ghoulish sensationalism.

Well, hopefully I'll feel the same way, she ruined all her adult books for me when I read A Casual Vacancy, if it wasn't for The Cuckoo's Calling, I probably wouldn't read another of her adult books.

I just started "A Man of Property", the first book of The Forsyte Saga.  I watched the original mini-series, never saw the second one, and I've wanted to read it for a long time, finally bought the whole thing (at a used book sale), and will be plowing my way through it.  Galsworthy is so humorous at the way he portrays these full-of-themselves upper-middle-class characters.  And there are so many of them!  Thank God there's a family tree at the beginning (thought it has spoilers in it), to keep track of the characters.

I'm reading this right now, too. I'm in the final part, which begins in 1920.  iTunes had it as a free download, and I enjoyed the mini-series, so I thought I'd give the (long) novel a shot.  I've been enjoying it.  

I did take a break to read Pioneer Girl, the annotated autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I just happened to find a copy in B&N when I was there last weekend looking for something to use a coupon and a gift card on.  Really beautifully done, and now I want to get a set of the Little House books to re-read.

Just got done reading I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson and while in general, I really liked it, I found some of the coincidences and intertwining of lives and events a bit much. I've always been iffy on how much I believe in fate so the idea of so many things happening that all perfectly intertwined seemed a bit unbelievable and a little too pat and perfect. I also have to say I did not like Jude and thought she got off way too easy for some of the things she did. But in general, I really liked it and I'm excited to see how it turns out as a movie since I read it's being adapted. Apparently Warner Bros. bought the rights even before the book was officially released, just off of critical acclaim and buzz.

I agree that Jude was awfully lucky in some regards and was forgiven very easily but I might also be more critical of her because I didn't find her narrations nearly as interesting as Noah's. In fact I though that the second narrative by her could have been broken up with one more by Noah because that part dragged to me, but I was glad that there was a point of all these new people, even if it had to be explained by coincidences. And I was glad to see Jude develope as a character because did she ever appear shallow to start.

I liked it and think it will be an interesting film.

I agree that Jude was awfully lucky in some regards and was forgiven very easily but I might also be more critical of her because I didn't find her narrations nearly as interesting as Noah's.

Oh I absolutely agree with this. Honestly, there were times when I would flip the pages to see how much longer a part of hers would last and we'd get back to Noah's story. And yeah in my opinion, she definitely had WAY more of a voice than he did, which bugged me. I especially felt like his love story got significantly short changed at the end while she got her whole sweeping love story, which really sucked because I found his far more interesting and compelling. So yeah definitely agree with you on that point but I am also looking forward to see how it's adapted. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
I just picked up 1636: Commander Cantrell in the West indies.  It's one of a long series of books begun by Eric Flint with 1632, which is about a small town in West Virginia which gets mysteriously transported to the middle of Germany in 1636, in the midst of the Thirty Years' War.

My husband, Tom Kidd, did the cover for that book, and the vast majority of the 1632 books.  He works closely with Eric Flint on these covers and often the covers are done before the books are written.  The scene with the red boat in the foreground was actually rewritten to fit the cover.     

• Love 6

My husband, Tom Kidd, did the cover for that book, and the vast majority of the 1632 books.  He works closely with Eric Flint on these covers and often the covers are done before the books are written.  The scene with the red boat in the foreground was actually rewritten to fit the cover.     

I am a HUGE fan. :D

• Love 1

Oh my god, I read those ages ago, when the first Forsyte Saga series was on PBS (it wasn't even PBS then, I don't think!), I must have been maybe 14 or 15? They're wonderful, I'd like to read them again.

• Love 1

They very much have to be read in order, because there are LOTS of plots going on at the same time, and you have to read them in order in order to understand what happened before the book you are currently reading.

What about the 1632 Gazette (I think that's what it is) on Flint's website? Is that also necessary?

I just read the latest Nora Roberts book The Stars of Fortune, first in the newest trilogy.

Meh.

She keeps going back to the supernatural well, and this just wasn't all that different from all the other ones. I think that these types of stories, for NR, work best when set in the United States. For some reason, the ones set in Europe just don't seem to gel as well for me. At least this one takes place in the Mediterranean and not Ireland. Maybe she'll develop the characters better in the upcoming books, but I thought they were very poorly drawn this time around. The only one to get any decent depth was this book's heroine, Sasha; the male lead just didn't have enough pages with his perspective on the events to get me to care very much.

Because I don't have the time to read all the books I would like to, I am currently listening to A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab.  Very Interesting magical concepts thus far and the idea of multiple Londons is quite intriguing.

Kirkus Reviews
2014-12-06

A fast-paced fantasy adventure that takes readers into a series of interconnected worlds ruled by magic—or the lack of it. Long ago, the doors between worlds were open, and anyone with magic could travel from one to the next. Now the doors are closed, and only a chosen few have the power to travel between Grey London, a world without magic, Red London, a world suffused with it, and White London, a world where magic is scarce, coveted and jealously guarded. As for Black London, the city consumed, no one would be so foolish as to risk a trip—not even Kell. Officially, he's a royal messenger, carrying letters among the rulers of the three Londons. Unofficially, he's a smuggler who collects artifacts from other worlds.

It's that habit that leads him to accept a dangerous relic, something that shouldn't exist. And it's when a wanted Grey London thief named Lila steals the artifact that the real trouble starts—for both of them. Schwab (Vicious, 2013, etc.) creates a memorable world—actually, three memorable worlds—and even more memorable characters. Lila in particular is a winningly unconventional heroine who, as she declares, would "rather die on an adventure than live standing still." The brisk plot makes this a page-turner that confronts darkness but is never overwhelmed by it.Fantasy fans will love this fast-paced adventure, with its complex magic system, thoughtful hero and bold heroine.

Edited by Bunty
  • Love 2

I managed to finish City on Fire by its due date.  The story didn't quite hold together for me but the author painted such a vivid picture of 1970s New York City and the characters he placed in it that I missed them when I was done.

Now I'm blazing through Jennifer Weiner's Who Do You Love which is comfort food for the reader as long as I don't dwell too much on the fact that to be grammatically correct, it should by Whom Do You Love.

I am not a crackpot.

• Love 4

Okay, I have moved on to Rainbow Rowell's Carry On which is the fantasy story referenced in her novel Fangirl.  I know there are a variety of opinions re: Rowell's work on this thread but I have to say she had me when one of the characters says as an aside that pixies can be a bit manic.

I am usually in the middle of several books at the same time. 

On my kindle, which I keep in my purse, I'm currently reading the James Rollins Sigma Series.  On book 7, The Devil's Colony, atm.

At home I usually have 2 books going simultaneously, one in the living room that I can read during TV commercials or when I'm waiting for my daughters, and one upstairs by my bed for my daily 30 minutes before sleep.  If i carry the books around, I end up setting them down somewhere and misplacing them, so best to just keep each in its own place.

Downstairs, I've recently started reading Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. I saw the Tom Cruise movie on Netflix and it intrigued me to read the first book.  I've been getting these from the library since apparently the series, even the older books, are still popular enough that no one's selling used copies cheaply on amazon.  I just finished the 3rd, TripWire, and requested the 4th and 5th, so I'll start Runing Blind probably next week.  In the meantime, I started Sue Grafton's X, which I'll likely inhale and finish by the end of the weekend.

Upstairs, I'm playing catch up with my Lisa Scottoline books, currenly in the middle of Betrayed (and I have Corrupted ready to go next).  I usually buy her books outright since she's local to me and I can go to a book signing for an autograph.  I also carry one of her summer composite books (that have many of her Sunday Inquirer columns with her daughter Francesca Serritella) in my briefcase, as I get them in paper-back (usually with Lisa's buy her new book, send in the receipt, get a free paperback offer).

• Love 1

Bolding mine

I am currently reading A Rule Against Murder (the one about Peter's family at the lodge, I hope this is the only one that focuses on Clara/Peter) and I totally agree. Clara especially grates on my nerves, she is so insecure and needy.  Its one of those Muder She Wrote things where I keep wanting the Inspector to get suspicious about how often murder follows these two around.  I do love the series, though, I breeze through the books in no time.

I haven't read the Bess Crawford series, but I do enjoy the Rutledge novels.  I find that I need to space them out, though.  Not only because of the voices in his head, but between those and the many recent PBS series, I get overloaded with WWI.  Have you read the Rutledge novels?  How does Bess Crawford compare?

I was one who just couldn't get into the Harry Potter Series (and I'm a librarian - blasphemy!) or A Casual Vacancy.  But I have really enjoyed the Cormoran Strike series.  Maybe because I much prefer mysteries or it could be because I listened to them on audiobook and the narrator was very good.  Cormoran kind of reminds me of Jackson Brodie from the Kate Atkinson novels who I love and highly recommend.

I am getting ready to start my third in the Mons Kallentoft Malin Fors series (although it is actually the first in the series), Midwinter Blood.They take place in Sweden and are pretty good.  They are dark and the dysfunctional policewoman and dead victim narration are tiresome, but they mysteries themselves are absorbing.

Read Midwinter today and will def. finish series. Very unusual writing style (or translation?) that took some getting used to but, to me, worth the effort. When I saw a "sixth sense" caveat on the jacket I almost decided against but persevered and glad I did. It was very atmospheric and though some themes are a bit overworked I remained interested. Thanks for the recommendation.

I made it through the first Harry Potter (bookseller here and was compelled to read a kid's book that had stayed on NYTimes adult bestseller list) and that was enough. But I am always thrilled when people read. Almost no matter what. Her Galbraith's seem bloated and leave me cold.

I love the Jackson Brodies but Behind the Scenes at the Museum will always be a fave.

I have had the latest Louise Penny downloaded for longer than I care to admit. I lost interest but will get to it eventually. Tired of Clara. Tired of Peter. And even a bit tired of Gamache. The family at the lodge was close to a tipping point.

Now I'm blazing through Jennifer Weiner's Who Do You Love which is comfort food for the reader as long as I don't dwell too much on the fact that to be grammatically correct, it should by Whom Do You Love.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm reading it now.

Lucky for me I can never remember when to use who and whom, but I can totally relate because I have a hard time getting past a person that instead of who.

• Love 2

I finished Carry On.  I love the way Rainbow Rowell writes and the characters were adorable but if you're going to wander into JK Rowling territory, you better have a great story to tell and in my opinion, she didn't.

I'm about to start reading The Short Drop by Matthew Fitzsimmons. It was a free Kindle download for Amazon Prime members. It's about the daughter of a senator who goes missing. Years later, new evidence in her disappearance surfaces. The reviews were good, and I like mysteries so I'll give it a try.

I used to read all the time,  then I had 2 children (both still under the age of 3) and I've barely read since. Now with the weather getting colder, I'm trying to get back into reading. I've read this entire thread with a pen and paper nearby and have quite a list now so thanks for all the recommendations!

• Love 1

I just finished Birdsong, by Sebastian Faulks. A novel I've been meaning to read for years.

It's an odd one. The romance at the beginning feels cold, despite repeated insistence that it's hot and passionate. Something about Faulks' writing just feels detached and distant, and impossible to fall into completely.

The WWI sequences are much better, and while Stephen remains a remote and cold protagonist, life in the trenches is evoked very well, and the imagery is every bit as distressing as you'd expect. But the part of the book with the most emotional resonance was actually the 1978 set part, with Stephen's granddaughter finding out about the war, and Stephen's role in it. The little twist at the end required me to be way more invested in the romance than I was, so it fell flat and felt obvious.

• Love 3

I just finished Robert Galbraith's Career of Evil.  I really, really enjoyed it-- liked the first two Cormoran Strike novels as well-- but there's just so much that at the end I had to flip back and re-read some of the stuff I'd forgotten towards the beginning.

I just finished Robert Galbraith's Career of Evil.  I really, really enjoyed it-- liked the first two Cormoran Strike novels as well-- but there's just so much that at the end I had to flip back and re-read some of the stuff I'd forgotten towards the beginning.

Ooh, thanks. I just got it as an ebook from the library (that helps me as I can search for keywords and jump around to refresh my memory), but I think I'll wait until after Thanksgiving to start it. Until then, my reading time with be in dribs and drabs. My memory is terrible, so reading it in fewer sittings may help.

I'm just starting Hausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum.  Not sure I'm in the mood for it. 

I was reading The Witches: Salem 1692  by Stacy Schiff but it's just too demanding for me right now.  I read her previous book about Cleopatra and I admire that she's able to dig up so much information about periods that have so little historical record but her stuff just doesn't make history come alive for me.  I guess that's an unpopular opinion given the rapturous reviews she receives.  

Now I'm leafing through Simply Nigella, Nigella Lawson's latest cookbook.  I adore her writing and although I can't see myself making (m)any of her recipes, I love looking at them.  She's my anti-Ree Drummond.  I'm only three sections in and I notice that she's mentioned her new kitchen in her new home for her new life a couple of times.  It's like she's signalling, "I'm okay!  No more tabloid headlines!"