Type keyword(s) to search

What Are We Currently Reading?

Rick Kitchen
  • Start Topic

Just finished Second Street Station:a Mary Handley Mystery by Lawrence H Levy and it was. ...interesting. They author is clearly a screen writer, you can see it in character of Mary, who feels a little like Buffy circa 1888 minus the vampires, and in the one liners you hear every so often. A lot of historic figures pop up and it is interesting to see figures like Edison portrayed so differently than we were told in school. It was clearly written for a follow up but I'm not that interested tbh.

Next on my list is Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. I've had the book for ages but hadn't touched now I hear a movie is being made so I am going to do it.

Edited by raezen

I'm currently reading Judy & Liza & Robert & Freddie & David & Sue & Me a Memoir by Stevie Phillips It's quite fascinating. She worked as a personal assistant later turned agent to Judy Garland, Liza and a handful of other stars in the 60's - early 80's. It is heavily Judy focused but the stories she has to tell are amazing and jaw droppingly painful to read. I've always been a Judy "fan" however was quite aware of her problems with drugs, alcohol and relationships however most stories I read give a sanitized version of her. This is no holds barred truth telling in it finest form. I'm only halfway through but I'm glad I randomly picked this book up at the library. 

Little Women. Yes, I know. I haven't ever read it before, but after reading this Guardian interview with Anne Tyler (my author crush), where she said she read it 22 times, I had to check it out.

It's ... OK. Pretty preachy.

I'ma quote myself. Yes. I know.

I finished Little Women and glory of glories! Beth doesn't die! Jo doesn't refuse Laurie! I loved that! (The book? Not so much.) But why had I heard so much about Beth dying (see the Friends thread)? It wasn't in my book.

Turns out Little Women is two books. The first part is Little Women, the second is Good Wives. After the original publication, as two books, they were put together as one. It's the second part were all the bad shit goes down.

I think I'll pass. Beth shall live. I can ship Jo and Laurie forevermore.

• Love 1

I picked up two Alcott books that I had never heard of before, that sort of disturbed me, slightly.  Eight Cousins is about seven teenaged boys and one teenaged girl, Rose, who are all cousins.  The second is Rose in Bloom, a sequel.  The main story line is that two of the male cousins are competing for Rose's hand.  But, they're first cousins!

Another book I'm reading is actually a compilation of books (3 to be exact): A Perry Mason Casebook, which comprises The Case of the Sulky Girl from 1933, The Case of the Careless Kitten from 1942, and The Case of the Fiery Fingers from 1951. As such, I now own 5 of the Perry Mason novels by Erle Stanley Gardner (counting the individual editions of The Case of the Negligent Nymph and The Case of the Horrified Heirs). 

Funny story about Little Women. I first read it at age 7! I was a precocious reader and it was the first "chapter book," as my kids called it, that I ever read. It WAS a condensed version, which I didn't realize for many years, until I read it as an adult and it was like 3 times longer than I remembered! But anyway, I was so young that I didn't always get the Victorian style of writing, and as a result I didn't know that Beth had died until several chapters later. As I recall LMA said that she was "well at last." Terrific! She got well! And I certainly didn't expect a character to die..I was seven! Anyway, several chapters later LMA refers to the period since Beth's death, and I was, what? Beth DIED? I was totally shocked.

Edited by Jodithgrace
  • Love 2

I had a similar experience, not having seen Top Gun in its entirety until I was 26 (because why did I need to see more than the volleyball scene, right?). I had no idea Goose died! But I digress...

I'm currently reading Judy & Liza & Robert & Freddie & David & Sue & Me a Memoir by Stevie Phillips It's quite fascinating. She worked as a personal assistant later turned agent to Judy Garland, Liza and a handful of other stars in the 60's - early 80's. It is heavily Judy focused but the stories she has to tell are amazing and jaw droppingly painful to read. I've always been a Judy "fan" however was quite aware of her problems with drugs, alcohol and relationships however most stories I read give a sanitized version of her. This is no holds barred truth telling in it finest form. I'm only halfway through but I'm glad I randomly picked this book up at the library. 

Thanks. I debated borrowing this from my own library but when I saw your post, I went ahead with it. I've only read a few chapters so far, but, yikes! Like you, I know about Judy Garland's problems, but Yowza! That first story on the first page was creepy.

• Love 1

Trailer Park Fae, by Lilith Saintcrow.  The first book in a new series (she's great at writing series).  Interesting world building, but man, it's dark.

I have this on my list of possibles, how do you like it? I was going to get it, but then I read some reviews that were negative because of some fae language it was in or something, so now I'm not sure.

I have this on my list of possibles, how do you like it? I was going to get it, but then I read some reviews that were negative because of some fae language it was in or something, so now I'm not sure.

I like it.  Like I said, it's dark.  I don't understand what about the language.  There is some Irish-seeming language in it, is that what they're talking about?  Brughnie instead of brownie, Sluagh, that sort of thing.

I like it.  Like I said, it's dark.  I don't understand what about the language.  There is some Irish-seeming language in it, is that what they're talking about?  Brughnie instead of brownie, Sluagh, that sort of thing.

I didn't look up what the language was, so I don't know exactly what they were talking about. I just know I saw the language thing on a few reviews so it caught my eye.

Thanks. I debated borrowing this from my own library but when I saw your post, I went ahead with it. I've only read a few chapters so far, but, yikes! Like you, I know about Judy Garland's problems, but Yowza! That first story on the first page was creepy.

I actually check this thread before heading out to the library every other week so I'm glad my suggestion went noticed :)

I just finished the book and while I did skim over s few parts it was a very enjoyable read. Hope you enjoy it as well!

• Love 1

Reading The Handmaid's Tale and so far it's okay but I'm not that far into the book so maybe I'll like it more when it picks up.

It's a very depressing book, in my opinion.  I can't say I "liked" it but I'm glad I read it, if that makes sense.

• Love 2

I just finished the 2nd in The Last Policeman trilogy, Countdown City (Ben H. Winters).  I love this author's quirky style of writing. I can't wait to read the last installment, but I have a few other books to get through first.

Right now I'm about 1/2 way through No More Dying Then (Inspector Wexford series by Ruth Rendell).   

It's a very depressing book, in my opinion.  I can't say I "liked" it but I'm glad I read it, if that makes sense.

I feel the same way about Nineteen Eighty-Four. It was a very depressing type of book, but at least I read it. 

• Love 2

Yeah it was also a horrifying book not something I would ever read again.

OTOH, that Perry Mason Casebook is something that I have most assuredly enjoyed (3 of Erle Stanley Gardner's Mason novels in one volume); I don't know if I'll read every one of his Mason novels, or every one of his overall total of novels for that matter, but what I have read of his, to me, has been incredibly enjoyable. 

I'm reading Hamilton by Ron Chernow, which I started ages ago, intending to finish before I saw the play last week. I didn't, but it still added to my enjoyment and understanding of the first and a bit of the second acts. I'll finish it, but it's very long and not a particularly quick read for me. (Then again, nothing is - I'm a slow reader.)

To give myself a break with something lighter, I'm also reading The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan (a.k.a., the Fug Girls). It's very loosely based on Prince William/Princess Kate (although the protagonist is American) and is quite entertaining.

Finally, since I'd forgotten most of my French, then re-taught myself and decided to read French every day so I wouldn't lose it again, I'm readin Au Bonheur des Dames by Émile Zola. I just read an article about Max Beerbohm in The New Yorker the other day, and it was apparently one of his favorite books. I loved that I'm reading a fairly obscure book and then seeing it randomly mentioned elsewhere.

• Love 1

Last Words, the latest from Michael Koryta.  It's getting a lot of buzz/hype -- positive NY Times review, blurbed in the latest Entertainment Weekly.  The main character works for something similar to the Innocence Project.  He's sent to Indiana to investigate the death of a young woman who was lost in a cave where she'd gone with her boyfriend.  Her boyfriend came out, said she'd been separated from the group. Her body was recovered by a local man familiar with the cave -- she had died of hypothermia but she'd been handcuffed.  The man said he didn't remember what happened and there wasn't enough evidence to charge him.

I thought the story had a bit too much plot but it was interesting enough to keep me reading.  There'll be a sequel, of sorts, with the same main character.  His wife had been murdered and her murder was unsolved.

I finished World of Trouble, the final book in The Last Policeman trilogy (Ben H. Winters).  As with the first two books, a meteor is set to collide with earth, each book bringing the timeline closer.  The entire series is compelling, but with this last book, I raced to finish it and yet was afraid for it to end.  Henry Palace, the protagonist, is a brilliant fictional creation, who tries to find order amid the chaos.  I absolutely loved this character. This series is part sci-fi and part detective story and beautifully written.  I'm sorry to be done with it.

• Love 2

I'm currently reading the latest Charles Todd "Bess Crawford" mystery, A Pattern of Lies.  I'm about halfway through, which is unusual that it's taken me a week to get that far; usually I finish Todd's books in a couple of days.  I admit that I'm not finding this one as engaging as previous entries in the series.  Something about the lack of Simon Brandon, I'm sure.

I'm reading Hamilton by Ron Chernow, which I started ages ago, intending to finish before I saw the play last week. I didn't, but it still added to my enjoyment and understanding of the first and a bit of the second acts. I'll finish it, but it's very long and not a particularly quick read for me. (Then again, nothing is - I'm a slow reader.)

That's funny, I'm doing the same thing as I have tickets for the end of September to see the play.  I'm about halfway through.  I'm actually a fairly fast reader, but other (really long) books keep interfering with my reading time.

One of those long books being This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein.  Unfortunately, she's preaching to the choir here, and I can't read too much about the imminent destruction of the planet's ecosystem (and the human race along with it) without getting profoundly angry and depressed.  So, not a fast read, as I can't take more than a chapter at a time.

• Love 1

Two months ago, I read four books in one month (that's actually pretty normal for me). I have since spent a whole month trying to get through The Cuckoo's Calling. I almost wonder if this is why J.K. Rowling wanted to write this book undercover, so as to avoid the criticisms. I don't get it, the mystery sounds compelling enough but I keep reading the book and feeling like nothing is really happening. 

Cormoran (which by the way, is the stupidest main character name ever) is interviewing people and it's supposed to be all intriguing and interesting but it's just not. And I love a good mystery, that's one of the things that appealed to me about the book. But I just feel like it's all words that's not leading anywhere. Obviously I know we're eventually leading to the model being murdered but the getting there is boring the fuck out of me.

And my goodness was J.K. this wordy with Harry Potter and I just didn't notice it then? I guess probably not because they were technically written for a young audience, even if adults liked them. But damn that woman can take an entire paragraph to say something as simple as "Robin was excited to be a part of the mystery." You know it's bad when you keep checking your page count against the total page count, wondering how much longer.  

I've contemplated so many times stopping and going on to something else and maybe picking it up again later but I'm stubborn and determined to finish. Besides, I do want to know what happened to Lula but man, the getting there is feeling like a very, very SLOOOW process. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I liked The Cuckoo's Calling.  And I liked The Silkworm.  She's coming out with a new Cormoran book in October, Career of Evil.  I really like the main character.  That's probably a big reason why I do like the books (agree about the dumb name).  I have to wonder, though, if the first Cormoran book would have been nearly as popular if it hadn't been leaked that Robert Galbraith is really J. K. Rowling.    I never could finish her first post Harry Potter book, The Casual Vacancy.  I thought that one was awful. 

• Love 1
I never could finish her first post Harry Potter book, The Casual Vacancy.

Funny enough, The Casual Vacancy is one of the reasons I've stuck with The Cuckoo's Calling because that one was painful for me as well at the start and I struggled to make it through the first 150 pages to the point that I had to put it down and pick it up again later. But when I did, I felt that it really picked up once every character and relationship to each other was established. I actually flew through the remainder of the book.

Yes, it was depressing as hell and just about every character was awful or very sad but I kind of liked it in the end. I'm more than half-way through Cuckoo's Calling and I'm still bored. Every chapter or so something will happen that makes me go, "hmm, that's interesting, I guess..." but for me, the mark of when a mystery is not grabbing me is when I find myself having no theories, suspects, etc. because it means I don't actually care that much. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I've found both of her Cormoran books rather slow going, but I enjoyed them anyway.  In both instances, I didn't see the identity of the murderer ahead of time, especially in The Silkworm.  In the latter case though, I think that I would have gotten a little more out of the book if I had known who she was basing some of the characters on.  I'm pretty sure that the British publishing industry had a field day guessing the inspirations for some of the characters.  I think that some of the slowness is due to the fact that the clues that are collected throughout the longish middle section don't really start coming together until the very end of the book.

I would also like Cormoran to eventually make enough money that he can get a flat or business that doesn't have stairs.

I haven't read The Casual Vacancy, but from descriptions, it sounds like a very different sort of book from the Cormoran series.

Edited by Yokosmom

I'm currently reading the latest Charles Todd "Bess Crawford" mystery, A Pattern of Lies.  I'm about halfway through, which is unusual that it's taken me a week to get that far; usually I finish Todd's books in a couple of days.  I admit that I'm not finding this one as engaging as previous entries in the series.  Something about the lack of Simon Brandon, I'm sure.

I finished this last night, and the mystery did get much more engaging as I got further in.  I'd recommend it, although it isn't Todd's best Bess Crawford book.  Still needed more Simon Brandon.

I haven't read The Casual Vacancy, but from descriptions, it sounds like a very different sort of book from the Cormoran series.

It is very different from the Cormoran books.  Since I didn't finish the book, I did watch the HBO mini series of The Casual Vacancy and found it extremely depressing and it made me even less inclined to go back and read the book.

• Love 1

Terry Pratchett's last book, The Shepherd's Crown, came out in the US yesterday.  I bought it on the way home from work and finished it before bedtime.  Not his best book, but as the afterword says, he tweaked books until the last possible moment and didn't get the chance to tweak this one as much as he would have wanted to.

• Love 1

I liked The Cuckoo's Calling.  And I liked The Silkworm.  She's coming out with a new Cormoran book in October, Career of Evil.  I really like the main character.  That's probably a big reason why I do like the books (agree about the dumb name).  I have to wonder, though, if the first Cormoran book would have been nearly as popular if it hadn't been leaked that Robert Galbraith is really J. K. Rowling.    I never could finish her first post Harry Potter book, The Casual Vacancy.  I thought that one was awful. 

Are you me?

• Love 1

I love Never Let Me Go too. I've also read The Remains of the Day and adored it as well. Beautifully written. Years ago, before those books, I tried to read snippets of in When We Were Orphans at the library and it didn't pull me. I'm glad I read the former two first or tried Ishiguro again. I want to read more from him, but I'm not sure if his other works live up to NLMG and TRotD. Anyone else have thoughts on his oevre?

I love The Remains of the Day beyond all reason, so I tried The Buried Giant this summer. I couldn't put it down, but I was left a little empty at the end. Either I'm not intellectual/highbrow enough to get it, or what I did get was just not very satisfying.

Daughters of the Samurai: A Journey from East to West and Back.

The true story about Japanese girls sent to the US near the turn of the 20th century to learn modern western ways so they can come back home to educate other girls. The book focuses on three of the girls. They become beloved by their foster families and very accomplished and educated, but the adjustment is a difficult one after returning home to Japan after 10 years.

I read this too. I love non fiction and this kind of thing is right up my alley. I love a fish out of water story, I love episodes from history that I don't know about, I love culture clashes and slices of historic life. This suited me right down to the ground.

I'm about 100 pages from the end of Into Thin Air. Can't put it down. The circumstances, though horrific, are so interesting to me. Are there books written by other surviving members of Krakauer's climbing team? 

I've read Into Thin Air a couple of times, and most of Krakauer's other books as well, I think he's great. I appreciate his meticulousness. (Missoula is on my list but I don't know if I'm going to be able to bear it.) I've read The Climb, and a bunch of other mountaineering books as well (no, I am not a climber, or outdoorsy in the least!) Try Dark Summit by Nick Heil or High Crimes by Michael Kodas about another doomed expedition to Everest, in 2006. Another great read is Buried in the Sky by Peter Zuckerman, about K2.

Little Women. Yes, I know. I haven't ever read it before, but after reading this Guardian interview with Anne Tyler (my author crush), where she said she read it 22 times, I had to check it out.

It's ... OK. Pretty preachy.

Little Women is a total comfort read for me. I've read it probably 100 times, I bet, and if I reread Little Women now I have to read Little Men and Jo's Boys too. I love 'em all.. I first read them at 10, and I think I spent my whole childhood rereading them. Yes, preachy, but so warm and well meaning. I live in Massachusetts and finally visited Orchard House in Concord as an adult--it was a dream come true. I've read a lot of LMA's other books (Hospital Sketches is a heartbreaker),  Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women by Harriet Reisen is a great bio of Alcott.

• Love 5

I've read Into Thin Air a couple of times, and most of Krakauer's other books as well, I think he's great. I appreciate his meticulousness. (Missoula is on my list but I don't know if I'm going to be able to bear it.) I've read The Climb, and a bunch of other mountaineering books as well (no, I am not a climber, or outdoorsy in the least!) Try Dark Summit by Nick Heil or High Crimes by Michael Kodas about another doomed expedition to Everest, in 2006. Another great read is Buried in the Sky by Peter Zuckerman, about K2.

I really liked Buried in the Sky since it told the story of a disaster from the point of view of the Sherpas. They often get sidelined in these books.

Another good one is Jennifer Jordan's Savage Summit, which is about first five women who summited K2. She gets into how it is to be a female mountaineer and how these women dealt with it all. All of them ended up dying on either K2 or some other mountain.

• Love 2

I love The Remains of the Day beyond all reason, so I tried The Buried Giant this summer. I couldn't put it down, but I was left a little empty at the end. Either I'm not intellectual/highbrow enough to get it, or what I did get was just not very satisfying.

Regarding The Buried Giant, I slogged my way through it, and I'm pretty sure I got it, and it was definitely not very satisfying. I will have to try his earlier books one day. 

I'm re-reading all of Louis Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache books. The series has become one of my favorites. I highly recommend them to mystery lovers.

I love the series as a whole, but hated the last book (the equivalent of watching paint dry).  I was never a fan of Clara or Peter.  I have the new book on hold at the library, The Nature Of The Beast.  I hope it's better than the last one.

I love the series as a whole, but hated the last book (the equivalent of watching paint dry).  I was never a fan of Clara or Peter.  I have the new book on hold at the library, The Nature Of The Beast.  I hope it's better than the last one.

I just finished the book that focused on Clara/Peter and agreed it was boring. I don't like them either. I just started the new book - fingers crossed!

• Love 1

I really liked Buried in the Sky since it told the story of a disaster from the point of view of the Sherpas. They often get sidelined in these books.

Another good one is Jennifer Jordan's Savage Summit, which is about first five women who summited K2. She gets into how it is to be a female mountaineer and how these women dealt with it all. All of them ended up dying on either K2 or some other mountain.

thanks for the tip, I'm going to add Savage Summit to my Amazon list! 

• Love 1

I'm currently reading Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews, it's the 8th book in the Kate Daniels series. If you like urban fantasy, I recommend this series.

From the Ilona Andrews web site:

The world has suffered a magic apocalypse. We pushed the technological progress too far, and now magic returned with a vengeance. It comes in waves, without warning, and vanishes as suddenly as it appears. When magic is up, planes drop out of the sky, cars stall, electricity dies. When magic is down, guns work and spells fail.

I finished Rutland Place (Anne Perry) and I liked it pretty well.  I just started reading the Thomas Pitt series recently and, so far, I still prefer William Monk, but maybe because I've read them all.  There is a new one coming out later this month, Corridors of the Night.  I hope she veers away from the subject matter of her last 3 or 4 Wm. Monk books.  They were getting to be too repetitious and dark, although I like that they heavily featured Oliver Rathbone.

Also read Thin Air, the latest in the Shetland series by Ann Cleeves.  I'm not sure why I continue to read these.  The main characters are too vaguely drawn for me to identify with any of them.  I think the villain in this book (and the motive) is almost identical with one in an earlier book.  She has a lot of characters that are would-be suspects and I found them more interesting than the main characters. But at the end they just go away and I would have liked more resolution on their plot lines.

I'm now reading Hugo and Rose (Bridget Foley).  I generally like mysteries so this is a departure for me.  I tried to read The Sound of Glass (Karen White) but after a couple of chapters I realized it's not my kind of book.  I don't much care for family sagas with buried secrets.   

I finished Rutland Place (Anne Perry) and I liked it pretty well.  I just started reading the Thomas Pitt series recently and, so far, I still prefer William Monk, but maybe because I've read them all.  There is a new one coming out later this month, Corridors of the Night.  I hope she veers away from the subject matter of her last 3 or 4 Wm. Monk books.  They were getting to be too repetitious and dark, although I like that they heavily featured Oliver Rathbone.

I stopped reading Anne Perry a long time ago just because I got tired of every book having some woman being abused in it. I don't know if she thinks of herself as being abused, or it's something she picked up in prison, but it was really repetitive & I just stopped caring.

In both instances, I didn't see the identity of the murderer ahead of time, especially in The Silkworm.

Just finished (finally) and I actually wasn't surprised by the guilty person. Chalk it up to years of watching Murder She Wrote and Perry Mason with my mom when I was a little kid (which is also why I like mysteries so much), but I always approach every mystery with the mindset, "start with the least obvious person." Everytime anyone seemed obvious or a likely possibility, I dismissed them as the killer. 

Which means 

I knew it wasn't the Bestiguis, Tony, Ciara or Evan. John became suspicious to me when he seemed so taken aback that Cormoran was asking about Rochelle and seemed determined to not give him information about her. That was the smoking gun, especially when she ended up dead. The only thing that confused me was his hiring someone to look into Lula's murder if he did kill her, when he'd already gotten away with it, by virtue of it being declared a suicide. I also totally called the brother being murdered as well.

Having read the whole book, I still say it was just okay. Strike is interesting enough but I have to say, and this may be an unpopular opinion, I kind of don't like Robin. I found her annoying at several points and her weird passive aggressive/anger at Strike sometimes for the most inane things was just plain weird. So I for one hope J.K. avoids the cliche and not put them together but considering I've hated ever single one of her romantic pairings and I decided she sucked at writing romance per the hot messes in Harry Potter, I'm not holding my breath she'll avoid that trap. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I stopped reading Anne Perry a long time ago just because I got tired of every book having some woman being abused in it. I don't know if she thinks of herself as being abused, or it's something she picked up in prison, but it was really repetitive & I just stopped caring.

Your point is well taken and I agree her books tend to be repetitive.  I think she's a very good writer, though, and I like that she calls attention to the social abuses of the day.  I know a lot of people refuse to read her  

I just finished A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler. I always get so involved with her books, but they always seem to just...end. I always wonder what happens next.

That they do! Digging to America and Back When We Were Grownups were the same way. Did they get together?! I got to know!

Thanks to the person who recommended Station 11!

Which I sampled thinking it was going to be about a space station so I was a little disoriented by the early events, but as it turned out, not knowing what was going to happen was part of the fun ride.

• Love 1