Type keyword(s) to search

What Are We Currently Reading?

Rick Kitchen
  • Start Topic

Just began The Girl on the Train. I hope it's not one of those overhyped books that ends up being a disappointment.

Well it depends on if you're disappointed by being able to solve the mystery barely a 100 pages into the book. That's what ruined it for me anyway.

• Love 4

Just began The Girl on the Train. I hope it's not one of those overhyped books that ends up being a disappointment.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what i think it is - overhyped.  I can't believe it's still on the best seller list. 

Well it depends on if you're disappointed by being able to solve the mystery barely a 100 pages into the book. That's what ruined it for me anyway.

I so agree with this.  The whole thing was pretty transparent to me.  Maybe that's the key to enjoying it.  If you don't figure out the plot early on, then I guess it might be compelling.

Edited by SierraMist

I just picked up 1636: Commander Cantrell in the West indies.  It's one of a long series of books begun by Eric Flint with 1632, which is about a small town in West Virginia which gets mysteriously transported to the middle of Germany in 1636, in the midst of the Thirty Years' War.  This is something like book 18 in the series now, which has many other authors taking up the mantle.  The later books deal with the repercussions of Americans, with 21st century technology and American values, interacting with the Europeans of the time.  This book deals with American attempts to drill for oil in the Caribbean.

The series intermingles fictional characters with a lot of real historical people.  And I was shocked as I'm reading the book, because part of it deals with the Dutch colony of Recife, in Brazil, which, as in our history, was booted from Brazil by the Portuguese.  In our history, most of the Dutch colonists went to New Amsterdam, but in this line, they went to the Dutch islands in the Caribbean.  One of the fictional Americans is talking to Pastor Johannes Polhemius, who was a Dutch Reformed minister in Recife.  And one of my ancestors!

I just had to laugh.  That is just so cool.

• Love 4

Just started Alex Bledsoe's Wisp of a Thing the second book in his Tufa Novels; so very different from his Eddie LeCrosse novels.  When I read the Tufa Novels I feel like I'm transported to Cloud County Tennessee and I can hear the music produced by the mysterious, magical Tufa inhabititants.  While this book is catergorized as 'contemporary urban fantasy' it feels very grounded in reality - that you could find Tufa with all their tradtions/superstitions and magic hiding in the Smokey Mountains.  

• Love 1

Well just so you know where I'm coming from if I recommend something - I am not a serious reader at all.

I'm not either, lol. My husband calls my reading brain candy. But I point out to him at least I'm reading. Ha!

Just started Alex Bledsoe's Wisp of a Thing the second book in his Tufa Novels

This series sounds deliciously entertaining and just the kind of reading I enjoy in the autumn.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 1

I've been on kind of a Maeve Binchy binge lately. Her books are like comfort food. Just re-read "Evening Class" (one of my particular favorites; maybe because I identify with Aidan); "Copper Beech," and "Circle of Friends." I've read most of her books, but these are three I keep on my Kindle.

Having just seen "The Martian," I may re-read the book to compare the two.

• Love 2

Finished The Martian by Andy Weir.  Quick read, because I skimmed most of the technical stuff.  It was written simply enough for a non-geek to understand, but the human interactions were more interesting to me.  I'm not a movie-goer but I'd like to see this one, to see what everything looks like.  I was halfway through the book before I understood that the HAB -- where Mark Watney lived -- was just a big canvas tent.  And I'd like to see Ridley's vision of the Martian landscape. 

The movie was FANTASTIC!  I started the book Sunday night, and have stayed up past my bedtime the past 2 nights reading it.  Oops.

I just started The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. I'm on page 9 and already annoyed by the main character. Not sure I'll go any further once I find out the secret.

That was actually my least favorite of all of hers.  I figured out the secret pretty early in, and found the rest to be a slog.  What Alice Forgot is still my favorite.  I thought Big Little Lies and Three Wishes were both too long and could have used some editing.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 2

I just finished A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler. I always get so involved with her books, but they always seem to just...end. I always wonder what happens next.

I actually, finally returned To Kill a Mockingbird to my library yesterday and A Spool of Blue Thread was located at the front under "Librarians Suggested Reading" so I picked it up. I've never read any of Anne Tyler's previous books but had no trouble jumping right into this one. I like her writing style and the characters grabbed me immediately. I'm already on page 150, which for me is pretty good. Between having two young children and expecting a third its a miracle if I can stay awake past 9 o'clock so my reading time is limited. This book is only a 14 day rental so I need to read pretty fast.

To Kill a Mockingbird took me a while to get into it and I had to renew it once just to finish it but once I finally did I am so glad I read it through to the end. I really enjoyed the story and am not sure how I managed to make it almost 31 years without reading this classic.

I'm reading a YA book called Infinite In Between by Carolyn Mackler. It starts at the first day of school and 5 students are put together in a getting-to-know-you group. As an icebreaker, they wrote letters to themselves to be opened at graduation. Then it follows the 5 students from Freshmen to Senior year. Just life and it's ups and downs. It's not a perfect book and could use more details; the reader has to fill in a lot of the blanks. But that's to be expected since there are so many characters spanning four years. I like it though. Reminds me of something from the 1980's. 

Edited by Snow Apple

I just finished The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle.  It was a lovely ghost story perfect for the season.

I also recently read Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff.  I thought it was brilliant which is not to say I loved it.  

The Dust That Falls From Dreams by Louis de Bernieres which was pretty good but could have used a bit of editing.  

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware:  Bridget Jones meets Agatha Christie.

Living with a Wild God by Barbara Ehrenreich:  I would have been better off just reading the first and last chapters.

Now I'm 20 pages into Margaret Atwood's The Heart Goes Last which looks like it's going to be pretty bleak.

My library due dates force me to read fast...

• Love 1

Took a break from non-fiction to read Ernest Cline's new book (Armada). Awful. I enjoyed his first book (Ready Player One), though I was often put off by it being over referential of 80's fandom. Still, RPO was fun as hell and kept me interested from start to finish. This one had all the fandom homages and none of the fun. I really hope this is just a sophomore slump, and not an indication that Cline is rapidly running out of other people's ideas.

• Love 2

Took a break from non-fiction to read Ernest Cline's new book (Armada). Awful. I enjoyed his first book (Ready Player One), though I was often put off by it being over referential of 80's fandom. Still, RPO was fun as hell and kept me interested from start to finish. This one had all the fandom homages and none of the fun. I really hope this is just a sophomore slump, and not an indication that Cline is rapidly running out of other people's ideas.

Exactly how I felt about it, such a disappointment. I taking the fact that I liked RPO as a fluke, & don't plan on reading any of his other books.

Anybody reading Stephenie Meyer's "Life & Death"?

Is that sarcasm? :-P

I am currently working my way through Like No Other by Una LaMarche, which I might have actually seen recommended here. It's a pretty good read so far, and although it is YA I'm enjoying the way the author is using the tropes of the genre.

• Love 1

I just finished A Spool of Blue Thread for book club, and I have to say that I didn't like it.  (I am known as the curmudgeon of the group).  I had read Accidental Tourist 20+ years ago, didn't enjoy it, but thought maybe I needed more life experience to appreciate her.  Apparently not.  She is a good writer, but once again I disliked her characters and found some of the story lines really strange.  I doubt I will read a third book of hers.

I just finished A Spool of Blue Thread for book club, and I have to say that I didn't like it.  (I am known as the curmudgeon of the group).  I had read Accidental Tourist 20+ years ago, didn't enjoy it, but thought maybe I needed more life experience to appreciate her.  Apparently not.  She is a good writer, but once again I disliked her characters and found some of the story lines really strange.  I doubt I will read a third book of hers.

I loved Accidental Tourist and several of her other books, but I didn't even bother to finish A Spool of Blue Thread.   

I'm reading "The Devil Wears Prada" and surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. Meryl Streep did a great job in the movie. Annnndreaaaaa.

I enjoyed the movie, so I thought I'd read the book too! It was awful. I think I got to page 23. :(

Grabbed Lesley Pearse's Trust me thinking it was going to be a fluffy read. So far it is not. The first half with the description of various orphanages was not the worst, it's how these characters deal with adult life that is the real tearjacker. Haven't read anything by this author before but so far it's a perfect read for when you want to just let go and tear up (not because of sad situations, as far as I'm concerned, but because of the emotional ones, but YMMV).

Funny thing is that 10 years ago it would probably have left me cold. Or maybe not. Not sure.

Anyone read anything by this author before ? 

I enjoyed the movie, so I thought I'd read the book too! It was awful. I think I got to page 23. :(

Yes, the book is horrible, or more particularly, the "heroine" is an awful human being; her whiny self-entitlement had me rooting for Miranda. This was a case of the movie being better than the book.

Just finished "Channel Blue." It's about a down-on-his-luck screenwriter who finds out the entire Earth is a reality series for the amusement of aliens. It's a quick-enough read, and I enjoyed it, but it could have been better.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

I haven't been doing much reading lately, but since I'm going to go see The Martian on Sunday with my dad, who has read the book and loved it, I figured I should check it out. OMG, soooo good! I'm a geek, even though I was never into the hard sciences like biology and chemistry, I still enjoy watching astrophysics shows on tv and all media about NASA, so it was a given that I'd like this book. Mark Watney is a really interesting character, and I enjoy the stuff on Earth, too. Someone described the book/movie as "you know that scene from Apollo 13, where the guys back in Houston have to figure out how to make one filter fit into the hole for another filter? Well, this book is that scene, multiplied." They're not wrong about that! But it's fascinating to see how he gets out of all of the things that go wrong for him, just by using his brain, as well as his back.

I've been devouring all the non-slash fanfic I can read online that was inspired by the book, and have actually come across some decent post-book stories, just because I want to know more! Also, I found a really interesting interview with Andy Weir that Adam Savage from Mythbusters conducted on the Tested YouTube channel (I can't link to it here, but just search for it on YT). It was done as the filming was getting started, so it's all about the book itself.

• Love 3

I've been devouring all the non-slash fanfic I can read online that was inspired by the book, and have actually come across some decent post-book stories, just because I want to know more

Wait...there's fanfic for The Martian? And slash at that? Watney's alone on the planet. Or is it like Hugh Howey, who invited people to create stories in his "Wool" universe?

Wow (in a disbelieving kind of way). And that's coming from someone who likes slash fan fiction.

I'm reading "Cartographer of No Man's Land" by PS Duffy. It's about a Canadian man who enlists during World War I. As an artist, he expects to become a cartographer in London but instead is transferred to the Front. The book alternates between his story in France and his family back home in Nova Scotia. Given the centenary of the Great War, I've been particularly interested in this period in history. I'm finding the book heartbreaking in many ways, given how incredibly useless and devastating the Great War was and, really, how much it set the stage for the current state of the world (especially in the Middle East [although this book doesn't touch upon that area of the world]).

• Love 2
Now I'm 20 pages into Margaret Atwood's The Heart Goes Last which looks like it's going to be pretty bleak.

My library due dates force me to read fast...

I'm about 40 pages in and it's still bleak but stuff is starting to come together. I also have to finish it by Wednesday because of library due dates.

I'm also finishing up re-reading Saga vol. 3 so I can read vol. 4 and 5 which I finally ordered and received today.

I read Kunal Nayyar's book yesterday (he plays 'Raj' on 'The Big Bang Theory').  It was a quick read--I finished it in one sitting.  Like he says at the beginning, it's not a biography, but just bits and pieces of his life.  I enjoyed reading his stories about growing up in New Delhi, coming to America, his work in theater and it was interesting to compare his character on the sitcom with the actor himself.  It was just the thing to read after a long day at work.  The title is 'Yes, my accent is real'. 

• Love 1

Keep reading, Melora.  By the end, it gets downright silly...

I definitely will, I'd never quit on an Atwood. I don't actually mind bleak but now I'm at around pg. 80 and it's gotten significantly less bleak, at least on the surface.

http://www.amazon.com/Hide-Among-Graves-Tim-Powers-ebook/dp/B005O062FS/ref=la_B000APYVZ0_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445215541&sr=1-6#customerReviews-- Hide Me Among the Graves by Tim Powers -- supernatural happenings in Victorian London, featuring fictionalized versions of real people -- John Polidori, the painter Gabriel Dante Rosetti and poet Christina Rosetti.  I love Powers' writing style -- it alternates between languid and sexy, and tense and frightening.  My only problem with this one is that it was all action -- at different times in the characters' lives, they're running from supernatural beings.  Some quiet interludes would have been a nice change-up.

http://www.amazon.com/Year-We-Left-Home-Novel-ebook/dp/B0043RSKDK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445216015&sr=1-1&keywords=the+year+we+left+home-- The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson -- thirty years in the lives of a small town Iowa family.  We follow a son, two daughters, and a cousin all over the country, with occasional visits back home.  The author gets 99% of the details right, except that she has a combine in a field in April.  (A combine is a harvesting machine, not a planter.) 

It's not a feel-good novel.  The marriages aren't perfect and the characters are, for the most part, discontented, unsatisfied, questioning.  But they're interesting people and they feel real to me. 

Edited by AuntiePam

Unfortunately, that's exactly what i think it is - overhyped. I can't believe it's still on the best seller list.

I so agree with this. The whole thing was pretty transparent to me. Maybe that's the key to enjoying it. If you don't figure out the plot early on, then I guess it might be compelling.

I bought this book to read on a weekend trip earlier this year and about 25% through it I was done. Such a disappointment, I try to stick out books but I could not with one. Plus I didn't have abothe book. Ugh. And since I got this in hardback I tried giving it to my reading friends but they are all spoiled Kindle readers. So I guess it's off to Goodwill. I too am amazed that I still see it at Target etc.

No not at all, I really am not a serious reader. My highest praise: "I couldn't put it down." Worst thing I can say: "Got bored and gave up, even though I paid ten bucks for it." Like right now I'm reading an Anna Quindlen's Every Last One and*

and I want to kick myself for wasting the money, because I'm 37% through it and NOTHING HAS HAPPENED YET. And if somebody isn't doing something epic by the 50% mark, I'm out. Update: it took off at a gallop at about the halfway mark. I should probably be more patient, but I've been burned by a lot of "good" books this year.

*edited for spoiler tags since I named the book.

one of my books I reread every year. Let us know what you think when you are done.

I feel the same way about Maeve Binchy. If I only got to read one book for an entire year, I would choose a Maeve Binchy. The only hard decision would be which Maeve Binchy. But it would probably be Circle of Friends.

Same. Before a move I had to unload 100's of books but I kept my full set of Maeve's books I have them all (except her non fiction) in hardcover. Same with Rosemary Pilcher (September is my fave). My dream is to visit the Ireland and Scotland of their writings.

Edit to add - I guess I should state I'm not reading a book right now so I came to this thread for ideas. I miss reading.

Edited by Readalot
  • Love 1

I love Rosemary Pilcher too and I reread her often. It's a tragedy to me that she didn't write more full-length novels.

one of my books I reread every year. Let us know what you think when you are done.

Once I realized what it was about (and that it was in fact about something) I couldn't put it down. I had no idea going in, because I try not to read too far into descriptions and blurbs - they tend to give too much away.

• Love 1

I finished The Nature of the Beast (Louise Penny) and it was another disappointment for me.  Not as bad as her last book about Clara (which was so boring) this one was too repetitious.  People having the same conversation over and and over.  I'm hopeful, though, for the next one.  She has left the door open for some changes.

I also read Circling The Sun and skimmed the last half of it.  Pure soap opera.  

Now I'm reading The Girl In The Spider's Web and so far I like it.

Edited by SierraMist

I'm reading Dearie by Bob Spitz, a bio of Julia Child, and it sucks. Oh, the subject is interesting; I bow to no woman in my love of all things Julia. My Life in France is one of my all time faves. But this guy cannot write his way out of a paper bag. Too many italics, ("he forbade--absolutely forbade;" "she needed space to be herself--to breathe"); and he seems to have problems with usage--he picks the wrong word, a lot "thronged by his children" rather than "surrounded by his children", stuff like that. Its driving me nuts. He's an awful, awful writer. This must be why I never bought his book about the Beatles, and I read everything I can get my hands on about them. But I will soldier on for the love of Julia. Sigh.

I just finished The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman for my work book group; it was meh. I work at MIT and we try to read something science-y or somehow MIT related, this book was supposed to take place there. Except the author didn't do some basic fact checking and continually refers to the Building 1 rotunda, (he means building 7, or building 10--building 1 doesn't have a rotunda, or huge columns, or marble steps) and refers to the the walls as being Institute Green (they're MIT White, lol), and other dumb errors that took away from my enjoyment, since I'm an insufferable pedant. This drives me crazy with anything that's set in Boston or the surrounding area. Along those lines, I hurled The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane across the room with great force about 50 pages in for dumb mistakes like this (the author references a Harvard professor smoking in his office! No one in  Cambridge has smoked in a building since the 80's). As well as for being a terrible, awful, stupid book.

I just read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, which I've put off for ages. I love love love The Remains of the Day, but his other work has not impressed me as much. This was ok, but maybe because I'd spoiled the big twist it didn't affect me as much.

My favorite new find is Kate Atkinson--I've read Life After Life, Behind the Scenes at the Museum, Case Histories, and A God in Ruins so far and I've loved every single one!

• Love 4
My favorite new find is Kate Atkinson--I've read Life After Life, Behind the Scenes at the Museum, Case Histories, and A God in Ruins so far and I've loved every single one!

I've only read Life After Life and God In Ruins and really liked them both. Right now there's a show on PBS, Home Fires, which I'm really liking I think partially because it has kind of A God in Ruins feel in terms of setting (small English village with surrounding farmland at the outbreak of WWII with RAF soldiers showing up and every time I see them I think of their odds thanks to Ursula's friend and kind of start to cry) although the characters are a little more traditional.

• Love 1

Home Fires is a little cliche but it's not really soapy or arch at all. I am still watching Indian Summers even though I can definitely see its problems but how pretty it is to look at goes a long way with me.

Edited by MeloraH

I checked Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself: A Road Trip with David Foster Wallace out of the library when the movie The End of the Tour started getting so much attention.  I put off reading it long enough that I ended up returning it unopened.  I checked it out again and after 15 or so pages, I am having trouble getting into it.  Usually I give a book 50 to 100 pages but, ugh, I don't know.

Anybody able to comment on whether it's worth sticking with?

Just got done reading I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson and while in general, I really liked it, I found some of the coincidences and intertwining of lives and events a bit much. I've always been iffy on how much I believe in fate so the idea of so many things happening that all perfectly intertwined seemed a bit unbelievable and a little too pat and perfect. I also have to say I did not like Jude and thought she got off way too easy for some of the things she did. But in general, I really liked it and I'm excited to see how it turns out as a movie since I read it's being adapted. Apparently Warner Bros. bought the rights even before the book was officially released, just off of critical acclaim and buzz. 

I just finished The Martian, and I'm super curious how the movie plays. It was a good book. You could see the bones of Andy Weir's original blog posts. Kudos to him for that: writing on his own site for free, publishing as a Kindle book (which has a minimum price of $0.99), rocketing up Amazon's bestseller list, getting a movie deal! That's the dream, ain't it. 

Right now, it's time for baseball data wonky stuff: Big Data Baseball by Travis Sawchik. I don't root for specific teams, but I love reading about teams that exploit a hidden advantage (shifting and injuries, in this case). 

I've got Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself: A Road Trip with David Foster Wallace on my to-read list. I do find DFW, aside from his nonfiction, hard to read, and I'm staring to wonder if books & stories about him are similarly hard to read. 

I just finished The Martian, and I'm super curious how the movie plays. It was a good book. You could see the bones of Andy Weir's original blog posts. Kudos to him for that: writing on his own site for free, publishing as a Kindle book (which has a minimum price of $0.99), rocketing up Amazon's bestseller list, getting a movie deal! That's the dream, ain't it.

I loved the book and the movie, but I think I love most the back story to the whole project. Now I understand the concept of the "Cinderella story" as it pertains to sports. And to top it all, the excitement over the movie is being credited with renewed interest in NASA and going to Mars (at least according to my personal Facebook newsfeeds). Imagine how Andy Weir feels about that. As a writer, it really is the dream.
  • Love 2

Just finished The Heart Goes Last it's not my absolute favorite Atwood but I still really liked it, and even though it doesn't have as strong world-building as the MaddAddam series I think it would probably make a really visually interesting mini-series, especially the last third.

Has anybody read "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk"? What did you think?

I read it. Really enjoyed it, and thought it was a very pointed (if not exactly subtle) critique of the American need to prove their patriotism and stoke their self worth by lauding soldiers like they're celebrities. Meanwhile the soldiers themselves are rather bemused by the attention, but bright enough to recognise the fakeness and emptiness of it all.

It's well written, with plenty of vivid characters. Though I'm surprised Jerry Jones has had nothing to say about the thinly veiled, fictionalized version of himself in it.

I finished The Girl in the Spider's Web and liked it, with reservations.  The book was lacking some of the suspense and urgency of the previous books and there were way too many names.  I think this author did a good job with Blomkvist but Lisbeth felt a little underdeveloped to me, and it was too long before she made an appearance.

I know it's hard to try to continue another author's popular series, and for the most part, it was pretty good.  The plot was too confusing and too simple at the same time, and he definitely left the door open for another sequel.  I'm looking forward to it.

• Love 2

I finished The Nature of the Beast (Louise Penny) and it was another disappointment for me.  Not as bad as her last book about Clara (which was so boring) this one was too repetitious.  People having the same conversation over and and over.  I'm hopeful, though, for the next one.  She has left the door open for some changes.

Agreed. Now that I know how Gamache's story ends (the corrupt police leadership storyline) and Jean-Guy's drug problem, I don't seems to care about them as much. The book where both issues are resolved may be my favorite of them all.

• Love 1

Hi there! I just found out there was a book topic here on PTV (*waving* Thanks, Marge Gunderson!. Been reading a lot more since we pulled the cable plug (and my addiction to bad TV, lol, hence my PTV presence, so I can keep up on the shows I love to snark on).

For a book club, I recently read All the Light We Cannot See (highly recommend!) and Lou Berney's The Long and Faraway Gone, which I really enjoyed. It's described as a psychological thriller, and it definitely ramped up into a page turner.

For kicks, I am reading Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles for the first time. I have loved all things vampire and supernatural (uh, not Stephanie Meyers' crap) and read everything I could, but I somehow never got around to Rice, whom I suppose you could argue revived interest in the vampire. I blazed through over 1,000 pages of the Mayfair Witches this spring, and loved the first 2 books, but Taltos

just got very, very strange. Reminded me of Indiana Jones & The Crystal Skull...in the end it was all aliens!!

I'm hoping these are as good. I'm about 1/4 way through Interview.

Anyway, nice to know this is here; I look forward to getting some more book suggestions!

• Love 1