Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Thorapy

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

When Sam and Jay have the ghosts bunk together to free up rooms for guests at the B&B, they learn that Thorfinn has been having night terrors, which inspires Sam to enlist a therapist to help him. Also, Isaac makes a big, personal revelation after he's compelled to seduce his new roommate, Hetty.

Original airdate 3/3/22

• Love 2

This episode (and I'm cracking up that it was called "Thorapy") wasn't so haha funny, but it was incredibly sweet. 

Poor Thor. I didn't figure out until he said he ate his friend's tail that it was an animal. I loved how Sass tricked him into therapy and then Thor was all in when he figured out it worked. And of course he crashed Alberta's session. 

Poor Trevor, having to deal with a giant Viking's night terrors. I loved how supportive he was of Thor. 

I loved the roommate pairings. I imagine Alberta and Flower trading wild stories until Albert got frustrated with Flower repeating the same ones over and over. And Sass eventually getting fed up with Pete's neverending hospitality. I hope Hetty and Isaac sit up every night trading petty gossip and giggling.

And Isaac. Such a big step for him, I'm so happy he was finally able to share his feelings for Nigel with Hetty. I hope he feels more comfortable telling the others and Nigel at some point. 

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

And I liked Jay suggesting to Sam that she see a therapist about her whole thing of communicating with ghosts.

I don't see how the result of that could be anything but the therapist thinking that Sam is either physically or mentally ill as she is hearing voices and seeing things that are not there. His suggestion only makes sense if he doesn't actually believe in the presence of the ghosts.

45 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

It's sweet that Isaac thinks no one knows about him and Nigel when the rest of the house (minus Hetty) are shipping them. Lol hopefully he can work up the courage to tell Nigel. 

Do you think Thor knows?  I could believe that Sas does-he's very perceptive.

And Thor is still interested in Flower!

• Love 8
(edited)

And I liked Jay suggesting to Sam that she see a therapist about her whole thing of communicating with ghosts.

53 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't know how Sam could tell the therapist she sees ghosts. I'm sure the therapist already thinks she has a lot of issues to work through after her sessions.

Agreed.

I don't see how the result of that could be anything but the therapist thinking that Sam is either physically or mentally ill (in addition to her agoraphobia) as she is hearing voices and seeing things that are not there. His suggesting her discussing the ghosts with a therapist only makes sense if he doesn't actually believe in their presence.

53 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

It's sweet that Isaac thinks no one knows about him and Nigel when the rest of the house (minus Hetty) are shipping them. Lol hopefully he can work up the courage to tell Nigel. 

And Thor is still interested in Flower!  Does she still believe in free love?  Does Thor want to get to know her better first?  Is he shy?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I was wondering how they were going to work out the rooms situation. If they ever get full what will they do? All stay in Sam and Jay's room. Lol

Somehow it never occurred to me that ghosts need a place to sleep.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
19 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I don't see how the result of that could be anything but the therapist thinking that Sam is either physically or mentally ill as she is hearing voices and seeing things that are not there. His suggestion only makes sense if he doesn't actually believe in the presence of the ghosts.

Certainly in real life Sam would come across to a therapist as being disassociated from reality if she not only acts as a voice for the different ghosts, but also explains to the therapist that they are ghosts if she fails to prove there actually are ghosts. 
But Sam has been able to prove the ghosts' presence to Jay with the ghosts' cooperation, and it seems the ghosts would like very much to cooperate in order to get therapy.

Tamara Podemski is only listed on IMDb once in the role of Dr. Long, but maybe they'll bring her back. The actor's mother is Ojibway; I recognized her from Coroner, where she played a NA woman. It might be interesting to discover that her ancestors and Sass were close enough for them to be related--perhaps he could help her revive her native language, contributing lost vocabulary and meanings. 

Isaac needing  130 years to feel safe to coming out to his friend Hetty was very symbolic in a realistic way.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 5
  • Love 11
45 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Hey Jay - you don't need to pay for a therapist to make a house call. Web therapy is big now. Betterhelp.com!

And Sam could have muted between Thor's statements to try to clarify what he was saying-or to at least ask him why he killed his best friend.

46 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Is Trevor Jewish? Strange to hear him use the word "mishigas."

Yes, and there have been other clues.  Trevor asked about Sam's punim (face) in the first episode. He's said mazel tov and mentioned attending an exclusive bat mitzvah.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
(edited)

How does this little show keep tugging at the ol' heartstrings? The writers keep developing the characters well.

The conversation with Hetty and Isaac was so sweet. Sarcastic Isaac is awesome but his serious, vulnerable side is a great balance.

And poor Nigel, starting to show his own feelings, followed by Isaac panicking and ghosting right out the door. I like that the show is laying the groundwork for these relationships down the road.

Aww, Thor and Flower.

Sam at the end, trying to rephrase "sucking off" for the therapist...lol. I'm already kind of dreading losing any of these characters, and I was wondering if Thor might be moving on. Not yet, show!

I loooove that Thor knows therapy from Frasier.

Sass is the best. 

I'm so excited for an episode about No Pants.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 24

I agree a very sweet episode. I liked how Thor's being honest about his problems inspired Nigel to be honest with Hetty. The breakfast scene was hilarious it was very smart to bribe the ghosts with their favorite things. Sam might benefit from counseling to cope with her mom's death. The actor who plays Trevor is Jewish so it makes sense that his character would be too. I wonder if we will learn  why Hetty doesn't like Trevor? I think he reminds her of Elias.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

I love Sas the master manipulator.  He was so awesome in such an understated way in this ep.  Pete might have been picked last in the roommate lottery, but he actually was a first choice.

Maybe instead of Isaac moving to the shed, Nigel could move to the house?

• Love 22
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Hey Jay - you don't need to pay for a therapist to make a house call. Web therapy is big now. Betterhelp.com! The therapist must think Sam has way too many problems as it is, you don't need to add agoraphobia to them. (I knew this would go badly for Sam given Thor's history.)

I didn't really see how it was going to work.  What dream would Thor have been having for at least 500 years that it would make sense for Sam to have?  Or, at least to be able to get any real insight.  In the end, they helped him without the therapist.  They just needed him to get him to tell them the story.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Somehow it never occurred to me that ghosts need a place to sleep.

I guess ghosts need to rest in peace. Now that I think about it, a lot of old movies sometimes show ghosts sleeping until disturbed. Now I'm feeling sorry for the souls who passed in places without beds. Even the diner and bank have booths or sofas.

Poor Thorfinn must have slept on the ground without blankets for 500 years until Sass invited him into the wigwam.

• Love 10

Yeah I can see the therapist writing down "schizophrenic" in her notes and referring her to a psychiatrist. Of course, Sam could prove there are ghosts like she did with Jay's sister, but I think the most likely result of that would be the therapist running out of the house screaming. It would take an awful lot of work to find a therapist who is a.) willing to make house calls and b.) believes in ghosts without being afraid of them. 

I didn't really see how it was going to work.  What dream would Thor have been having for at least 500 years that it would make sense for Sam to have?  Or, at least to be able to get any real insight. 

Yeah I didn't see how that was going to work either, so it had me laughing even before the session started because I knew how it was going to go down. Starting with his best friend Oskar (he's Norwegian). "Tell about sucking off. Sucking off very important in the context."

• Love 9

Even without his nightmares about killing his best squirrel friend, Thor could definitely benefit from some therapy, having been alone for five hundred years before Sass died, that would mess anyone up. 

Another great episode, this show is so great at being funny while also tugging on those heartstrings. I figured about halfway through the story that Thor's friend was an animal, but it really is sad how much that's been eating at him for years and its sweet how much he feels bad about something so understandable. I also loved Sass using his mastery of manipulation of to get Thor to agree to Therapy, Thor learning about what a therapist is from watching Frasier, how supportive Trevor was. Sure he wanted Thor to get help so that he could sleep better, but he also clearly did want him to feel better. 

The plot with Isaac and Hetty was really sweet as well, glad that he told Hetty the truth, hopefully he will finally be able to tell everyone else soon, even if almost all of them are very much aware. It was great seeing Nigel again and to see that their relationship is progressing. I could also watch Hetty seductively whisper about "napes" for hours, it just killed me. "The Victorians really had some blind spots." 

What happens if/when their bed and breakfast becomes successful and they want to open more rooms? Will the ghosts have to move into the basement and learn about pipes? 

Aww Thor still likes Flower!

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
(edited)
14 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I wonder if we will learn  why Hetty doesn't like Trevor? I think he reminds her of Elias.

Does she dislike him?  Or is she just tired of looking at his genitals so she wishes he had died in underwear?

The breakfast scene was hilarious it was very smart to bribe the ghosts with their favorite things.

I wonder if the ghosts have extra-sharp senses of smell?  Many of the food items, such as berries, don't have a strong fragrance.

8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Maybe instead of Isaac moving to the shed, Nigel could move to the house?

Might be awkward for Hetty, sharing her room with the two lovebirds!

5 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Poor Thorfinn must have slept on the ground without blankets for 500 years until Sass invited him into the wigwam.

I don't think they can use blankets; they can't move the sheets or bedcovers.  All of the ghosts were sleeping on top of the beds.  On the other hand, I don't think they can feel cold.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I think Jay and Sam need to get a hamster or some other pet.  Thor wasn't just best friends with Oksar out of loneliness, I think under his violent Viking shell he's just a big softie--remember, he was Hetty's childhood invisible friend--and is an animal lover.  Ooooh....maybe get a cat and have Thor eagerly pursue the cat's affections while the cat...........is a cat about it.  There could be some filler comedy gold there!

Animals can see ghosts so a cat at the B&B would add to the atmosphere and Thor would totally baby it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The plot with Isaac and Hetty was really sweet as well, glad that he told Hetty the truth, hopefully he will finally be able to tell everyone else soon, even if almost all of them are very much aware.

On that note, I liked the little detail of the other ghosts reactions' to the insinuations about Isaac and Nigel reflecting the respective time periods they grew up in and whatever attitudes about homosexuality were common then. Pete, Flower, Trevor, and Alberta got the implications right away, because they're younger and lived in time periods where homosexuality was, if not necessarily accepted by the public at large, at least something that people were aware of and talked about to some degree, and they may have personally known people who were gay, too. 

Meanwhile, Hetty was surprised that she hadn't even considered the idea that Isaac liked Nigel. And I don't know how homosexuality was viewed in Thor and Sas' respective time periods/backgrounds, but I imagine it was quite different from how those in the 20th century responded to it, so that likely shaped their initial reactions to some degree, too. 

• Love 9

The actor who plays Trevor is Jewish so it makes sense that his character would be too.

I was going to say this as well.  According to Wikipedia Asher Grodman is "of Jewish background."  Also according to Wikipedia (and of interest to me, but maybe nobody else), he attended Newark Academy, a private high school in Livingston, NJ, which is about a mile from where I'm sitting right now in my office at work.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1

On that note, I liked the little detail of the other ghosts reactions' to the insinuations about Isaac and Nigel reflecting the respective time periods they grew up in and whatever attitudes about homosexuality were common then. Pete, Flower, Trevor, and Alberta got the implications right away, because they're younger and lived in time periods where homosexuality was, if not necessarily accepted by the public at large, at least something that people were aware of and talked about to some degree, and they may have personally known people who were gay, too. 

That's what I love about this show they are always making sure the time period the ghosts are from are reflected, even if it's just the way they clap their hands.  

I was wondering if they were going go bring back Thor and Flower. Those 2 haven't really interacted that much. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, ALenore said:

I wonder if Sam could have gotten a ghost psychiatrist, then had them consult over Zoom, from wherever they died.

I thought Sam was going to hang around therapists offices to find ghost one, like she figured out she was talking to a ghost Doctor. 

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Meanwhile, Hetty was surprised that she hadn't even considered the idea that Isaac liked Nigel. And I don't know how homosexuality was viewed in Thor and Sas' respective time periods/backgrounds, but I imagine it was quite different from how those in the 20th century responded to it, so that likely shaped their initial reactions to some degree, too. 

Homosexuality was considered a crime during Isaac's lifetime he and Nigel would have been thrown in prison if they had been discovered. I follow Ghosts on Twitter and they pur of a link to mentalhealthishealth.us on the show's site.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, ALenore said:

I wonder if Sam could have gotten a ghost psychiatrist, then had them consult over Zoom, from wherever they died.

Spoiler

Like Bruce Willis in the Sixth Sense?

Not sure if really a spoiler all these years later.

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Love 5
On 3/4/2022 at 2:30 AM, kathyk24 said:

The actor who plays Trevor is Jewish so it makes sense that his character would be too.

I'm not sure how this makes sense at all. Many Jews play non-Jewish, and vice versa. Mrs. Maisal fooled us all.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, SG429 said:

I'm not sure how this makes sense at all. Many Jews play non-Jewish, and vice versa. Mrs. Maisal fooled us all.

Well, Rachel Brosnahan as Mrs. Maisel didn't fool me, but I had already appreciated her in another Jewish role in the Manhattan series. Brosnahan grew up in the Jewish neighborhood adjacent to the gentile neighborhood where my Jewish family lived and where one of my best friends looked like Brosnahan's identical twin.

But, yes, @SG429, after reading all the comments above, I might prefer if Trevor turns out to be the Irish kid who grew up in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I'm assuming Trevor was a big financial tycoon on Wall Street (although we will have to wait until March 31st to confirm that 😡  ) and lots of New Yorkers throw in Yiddish words from time to time, so that alone doesn't prove anything. I just wondered. I am not Jewish but I have always had lots of Jewish friends so I know plenty of Yiddish myself.

On re-watch, we can also hear Trevor saying "Oy vey" in a voice-over shot of the exterior, LOL.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Well, Rachel Brosnahan as Mrs. Maisel didn't fool me, but I had already appreciated her in another Jewish role in the Manhattan series. Brosnahan grew up in the Jewish neighborhood adjacent to the gentile neighborhood where my Jewish family lived and where one of my best friends looked like Brosnahan's identical twin.

But, yes, @SG429, after reading all the comments above, I might prefer if Trevor turns out to be the Irish kid who grew up in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood.

Asher Grodner confirmed on Twitter that Trevor is Jewish. I follow Ghosts on Twitter and the show has very creative fans. Someone posted a lovely drawing of the conversation between Isaac and Hetty.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, SG429 said:

Plus, you know, acting = pretending to be someone you're not.

I thought this episode was really sweet. Once Thor started telling his story, and how he had to eat his friend,  figured Oskar was an animal. I was just waiting for "...and the tail..." part.

I like how Thor's revelations tied in with Isaac's, and his "coming out" to Hetty. I liked their conversation, but her story about the footman in "the '30s" didn't make sense. Did she mean a servant who worked in the house after they were both dead? Because otherwise the years don't work out.

Vikings and Native Americans didn't necessarily consider homosexuality evil; we can thank Christianity for that. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

her story about the footman in "the '30s" didn't make sense. Did she mean a servant who worked in the house after they were both dead? Because otherwise the years don't work out.

Ooo. I missed that. So Hetty had a ghost paramour in the 30s -- who was, presumably "sucked off" (tee hee)?
I was both amused and curious about Hetty repeatedly imploring Isaac to kiss her nape which was covered with what appears to be dense crocheted lace. Since we know they can't change clothes, Hetty's nape fetish is kind of kinky in a Victorian way.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Ooo. I missed that. So Hetty had a ghost paramour in the 30s -- who was, presumably "sucked off" (tee hee)?

I don't think Hetty has canoodled with anyone since her death. She meant that as a ghost, she had noticed a comely living footman in the '30s. She hadn't realize until now that Isaac might have noticed him, too for the same general reasons.  Now they can gossip about all the handsome men they've seen in common over the years!

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 3/3/2022 at 11:55 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:
On 3/3/2022 at 10:34 PM, iMonrey said:

Is Trevor Jewish? Strange to hear him use the word "mishigas."

Yes, and there have been other clues.  Trevor asked about Sam's punim (face) in the first episode. He's said mazel tov and mentioned attending an exclusive bat mitzvah.  

9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

On re-watch, we can also hear Trevor saying "Oy vey" in a voice-over shot of the exterior, LO

On 3/4/2022 at 4:40 PM, paul4295 said:

I was going to say this as well.  According to Wikipedia Asher Grodman is "of Jewish background." 

10 hours ago, SG429 said:

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

5 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Plus, you know, acting = pretending to be someone you're not.

"He is indeed Jewish, which is very exciting for me because, as a Jew, to get to play a Jew, doesn’t happen very often."

"There’s a little bit of learning some Yiddish, which is fun. Most of which I knew, but just saying it on television is a lot of fun.":

https://jewishjournal.com/culture/341396/actor-asher-grodman-believes-in-ghosts/

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 5
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This?
FNCOokuWQAwI89_?format=jpg&name=large

I saw that one and another drawing by someone named peachy goblin on Twitter that were well done. Ghosts has inspired a lot of fan art which the actors really appreciate.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I saw that one and another drawing by someone named peachy goblin on Twitter that were well done. Ghosts has inspired a lot of fan art which the actors really appreciate.

This one:

• Love 8
On 3/3/2022 at 10:12 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He's also a bit of a gossip, so it's very possible that Thor knows.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, mojito said:

He's also a bit of a gossip, so it's very possible that Thor knows.

If Thor knew, though, would he have been able to keep from saying something (in a friendly way) when he saw Isaac and Nigel strolling together?

• Useful 5

I thought this episode was really sweet. Once Thor started telling his story, and how he had to eat his friend,  figured Oskar was an animal. I was just waiting for "...and the tail..." part.

Strangely enough I did not pick up on that right away. I really did assume Thor ate a person. And even when he said "tail" I thought of . . . something else. At first. LOL.

I was both amused and curious about Hetty repeatedly imploring Isaac to kiss her nape which was covered with what appears to be dense crocheted lace. Since we know they can't change clothes, Hetty's nape fetish is kind of kinky in a Victorian way.

Yeah, not to be indelicate but I don't see how the ghosts could have sex (except for maybe Trevor). They can't remove their clothes, they would just pop back on, like Trevor's hand or Sass's feather. So the most they can do is . . . dry hump?

• Love 11