Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: In The Unlikely Event Of An Emergency

jewel21
  • Start Topic

When T.K.'s mother has an emergency, Owen and T.K. travel to New York. But the flight is anything but smooth when the plane experiences a mechanical failure. T.K. reflects back when Gwyn helped get him into rehab years ago.

Airdate: 02/28/2022

I actually gasped out loud when the woman was almost sucked out of the window.  I didn't expect that to happen.  I did have a little thought run through my head when they were pumping fluids into her from first class-- 'Gee, I hope she isn't allergic to coconut!'  

Why did the passengers still have their oxygen masks on?  I thought that once you got below 10,000 feet (I think) you don't have to wear one.  There was some smoke in the cabin, but only as they were landing. 

I agree that everything happens to TK.  I'm guessing that if he and Carlos get married at some point, their honeymoon will be interrupted when their plane gets hijacked or pirates board their cruise ship. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Why did the passengers still have their oxygen masks on?  I thought that once you got below 10,000 feet (I think) you don't have to wear one.  There was some smoke in the cabin, but only as they were landing. 

I'll be upfront. If this ever happened to me, I'd be wearing that oxygen mask until it was pried from my hands. This was one of those "dont watch before a planned flight" - I am already a nervous flier, I don't need this.

That said, while I tire of TK trauma, I thought this was well done and kind of touched on the idea that divorce need not be bitter and unpleasant. I felt for Owen when he said he still loved her. I have always liked Rob Lowe from an acting stand point - I never thought until I saw it that he could bring Nick Andros to life for me in The Stand and yet he did, and I wasn't expecting much from this episode but...

13 minutes ago, preeya said:

Can't they have a different character experience all the tragedies. And I'm not at all a fan of TK.

<pets you> Shhhhh next week Paul and Marjan are the pain magnets....

• Love 9

I think this was by far the best episode of the series, for me anyway. It took me a minute to realize that the 911 call in the opening was about Gwyn. Once it sank in, I found it so sad.

TK was always my favourite character and I thought the actor did a really good job portraying his shock and grief. I also really enjoyed the flashbacks. I found myself tearing up multiple times, once when TK was sitting on the bed wondering if his brother was going to be damaged by witnessing what happened to their mom, and again when Gwyn brought him to California and said the rest was up to him. 

Very powerful  and moving episode, I loved it from start to finish. 

• Love 8

I liked it. I liked that of course Carlos is going to New York with them. And that TK is going to struggle with sobriety. The 911 call was chilling and I felt so bad for cyclist. I appreciated that it wasn't the 126 on the tarmac for the injured passenger (most airports have their own station). And that Grace thought to arrange flowers.

TK was right regarding his worries for his brother. And I give it one more season before baby brother comes to Austin for Reasons and we get TK and Carlos as parents. Because this show runs on soap.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
21 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Grace thought to arrange flowers.

However, it was a faux pas. You don't send flowers to Jewish funerals.

Edited by eel21788
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm interested in Paul knowing about Jewish funerals happening within 24 hours of death. 

That coconut water wasn't sterile. I was thinking sepsis and didn't think of allergy. But hey! Coffeepot tourniquet, coconut water IV, TK trauma again... and it was still a better episode than we've been getting recently, because it had more focus on emergencies and crazy rescue situations mostly. 

I'm surprised a bike is enough to knock over and kill someone. Are NYC delivery bikes motorized?  

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm surprised a bike is enough to knock over and kill someone. Are NYC delivery bikes motorized? 

I believe the biker said he hit her, she fell and hit her head on the ground which cause heavy bleeding.

Haven't been in NYC in many years, but I do know those messenger bikers were a nemesis on the streets of Manhattan. I also don't know if they are now motorized but it is a possibility.

• Love 2

When Carlos came running onto the tarmac telling TK "I thought I was never going to see you again!" I thought "Shouldn't you be used to that feeling by now?" I mean TK has spent half this show nearly dying. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, eel21788 said:

However, it was a faux pau. You don't send flowers to Jewish funerals.

A food platter would have been more appropriate if there was to be a shivah, but most reform Jewish sorts don't get offended if the goyim friends send flowers.

7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm interested in Paul knowing about Jewish funerals happening within 24 hours of death. 

I mean, its not a secret. He's from Chicago, and Chicago does have a Jewish population. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I came close to getting knocked over by a guy on a bicycle in Toronto and not only did he not give a shit, he bitched *me* out for getting in the way. Anyway, getting hit by a man probably at least 150 pounds traveling at any kind of speed is going to easily knock a person down. Bad luck after that to crack your head on the curb/sidewalk, but people die tripping and hitting their head on a coffee table. This seems at least one of the more plausible CODs on these shows, lol. 

• Love 8

I agree that everything happens to TK.  I'm guessing that if he and Carlos get married at some point, their honeymoon will be interrupted when their plane gets hijacked or pirates board their cruise ship. 

You know, I thought Ronen Rubenstein was fairly effective in this episode - he does teary-eyed rather well. But I'm starting to think maybe the reason TK is always in peril is because the writers realize Rubenstein is extremely limited as an actor, and is best served by being comatose or morose all the time. He's sort of a one-note character is is kind of one-note and low-key even at his best. 

Good episode overall though with lots of action on the plane. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

That coconut water wasn't sterile. I was thinking sepsis and didn't think of allergy. But hey! Coffeepot tourniquet, coconut water IV, TK trauma again... and it was still a better episode than we've been getting recently, because it had more focus on emergencies and crazy rescue situations mostly. 

I hate this show and that's how I watch but I agree. As far as disaster episodes go, this one was good. As for the other stuff, you forgot to mention that everyone needs air, but not Rob Lowe and Lowe's adjacent. They have their own supply of special air and don't  even get a little dizzy.

And great Sam Seaborn shout out: "I read" (to uninitiated, Sam Seaborn in The West Wing, the episode was In Excelsis Deo, Sam says something about Al Roker losing weight and Toby asks him how he knows so much and he says "I read")

• Love 3

For Lone Star, this was definitely one of the better episodes they've had. It's definitely in the top three of the entire series. Even though I do think TK's had a lot of the depressing storylines and it should be spread out more with the characters (the OG does it quite well with giving each character their own arc to shine), this is probably the best storyline they've had for TK so far.

I'm glad they had the whole "is TK gonna relapse" subplot here, because it limits the chance of him actually relapsing, as I thought they'd do with Gwyn's death. I was convinced that TK would relapse at the end of the episode, until they had TK eyeing the drugs in the ambulance. With him being honest about how he was definitely going to relapse if Owen had not found him, it does extend his actual relapse by at least another few episodes, if not until a future season. 

The plane stuff was alright. I would have expected that lady to be more injured, to be honest. 

That cell phone reception is pretty damn good up in the air, isn't it? Even if they were still only 10,000 feet in the air, it's still great reception.

I think Ronen, Rob and Lisa did a pretty good job this episode. Truly, a surprising good episode for the series. I expect the quality to go back down to typical Lone Star quality next episode, but this one was a diamond in the rough.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

most reform Jewish sorts don't get offended if the goyim friends send flowers.

If they were reformed, they wouldn't have been so strict about the burial happening within 24 hours. It would have been delayed until the guy who needed to say kaddish could get there.

Also, there are reformed rabbis who are still too offended by flowers to allow them at a funeral (this is speaking from personal experience).

• Useful 4

This show can be cheesy, but I'm pained to admit that I got choked up quite a few times.  It was a really good episode!  Do we know what happened to TK's mom?  If they explained it, I missed it.

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

That cell phone reception is pretty damn good up in the air, isn't it? Even if they were still only 10,000 feet in the air, it's still great reception.

When you consider that cell phones supposedly mess with the plane's navigation equipment, on a plane that was already compromised that would have been a faux pas, too.

Edited by eel21788
4 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

It was a really good episode!  Do we know what happened to TK's mom?  If they explained it, I missed it.

The 911 call in the opening was about her. The bike messenger ran her down, but she pushed the baby's stroller out of the way.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

When you consider that cell phones supposedly mess with the plane's navigation equipment, on a plane that was already compromised that would have been a faux pau, too.

I've read that the cell-phone interference thing is largely a myth, with the exception being that it can possibly interfere with the signal when flight control changes from one tower to another. No real idea though, but there are so many calls made from airplanes on television that I don't even think about it any more.

• Love 3

Definitely a good episode, and yet...

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

But not one mention from anyone in the episode of sitting Shiva for 7 days.
Just that they're not going to make it to the funeral. 🤷‍♀️

17 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Why did the passengers still have their oxygen masks on?

My question: If the passengers still need oxygen, don't the first responders and the victim need oxygen even more??
“In the event of a sudden drop in pressure, an oxygen mask will drop from above. Secure your own mask first before assisting others."

Just to clarify: The reason TK and his dad were on the plane that lost an engine and a wing and a window (and, of course, still managed to land safely) was because TK had gone to "work" to get fentanyl, and so the time spent finding TK was why they missed the first plane, right?

The passenger that blocked the venting window was the real hero. She probably saved at least a hundred passengers and crew.

It sure looked like they were going to have to amputate the victim's arm. Glad this show doesn't go there.

Was it because the victim was loopy from blood loss and pain meds that she kept telling TK how he needed to clean up to see his mom and how proud his mom would be of him (after his dad had already told her TK's mom was dead and they were going to the funeral)?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Just to clarify: The reason TK and his dad were on the plane that lost an engine and a wing and a window (and, of course, still managed to land safely) was because TK had gone to "work" to get fentanyl, and so the time spent finding TK was why they missed the first plane, right?

Probably that combined with the horrendous traffic jam they ran into on the way to the airport. Those things always seem to happen when you can least afford to deal with them.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Was it because the victim was loopy from blood loss and pain meds that she kept telling TK how he needed to clean up to see his mom and how proud his mom would be of him (after his dad had already told her TK's mom was dead and they were going to the funeral)?

I thought she meant his mom would be proud of him as she looks down on him from heaven.

• Love 3

OK, I'm kind of a softie, so I get that this doesn't really mean much...but I sobbed during the emergency landing sequence. Cutting back and forth between the terrified passengers, the people in the fire house, and the people watching the tarmac from inside the airport...it was just really well done.

• Love 10

The passenger that blocked the venting window was the real hero. She probably saved at least a hundred passengers and crew.

It was Justine from Superstore!

She was sitting next to the guy being a dick about wanting a drink, not sure if she was meant to be his wife or even knew him.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Owen told her that TK's mom was dead one or two minutes before she nearly got sucked out of the plane. I chalked it up to traumatic amnesia.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I actually gasped out loud when the woman was almost sucked out of the window.  I didn't expect that to happen.  I did have a little thought run through my head when they were pumping fluids into her from first class-- 'Gee, I hope she isn't allergic to coconut!'  

Air Disasters just was running marathons for it's new season so I recently saw the headlines this story was ripped from. Unfortunately the Texas firefighter and passengers couldn't save their victim.

On the one hand, this was a good episode.  One the other hand it would have been better if it hadn't come on top of Strand trauma/hero fatigue.  I mean, they couldn't just get on a plane and go to a funeral.  No.  The plane had to catch fire and Owen  had to kick into hero save the day mode.

I may have missed it, but did they ever ask if there was a doctor on the plane?

I did like the 911 call cold open being about Gwyn.  But of course, the writers could not restrain themselves and had to make the 911 caller achingly tell the baby that his mama loved him.  

I rather liked the Johnny-on-the spot bystander who stopped up the window with a garment bag and found the coffee pot.  Go you,  blonde haired lady!

I am finding this season so frustrating to watch.  It can't seem to find a good balance between the personal stories and the work-a-day first responder stuff. I like getting the character stories of our regulars, but this show seems to be leaning too hard on creating personal trauma for the team and not enough on them doing any work. 

• Love 7
(edited)
5 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I did like the 911 call cold open being about Gwyn.  But of course, the writers could not restrain themselves and had to make the 911 caller achingly tell the baby that his mama loved him.  

I thought the 911 operator was hearing the bike messenger say that to the baby.

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 1
(edited)
23 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I suspect the black woman from Texas was not Jewish and not aware that TK is Jewish. 

However, it was another faux pas. I really wish people wouldn't always project their religious beliefs on everybody else. I can't count the number of times I've been told I'll see someone in heaven, even by people who do know that I don't believe it is possible.

Edited by eel21788
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Wait, wasn't the bike messenger the 911 caller?

Yes. If I'm remembering things right after it was determined that there was nothing that he could have done for Gwyn, he told the baby that mama loved him.

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Not to be nitpicky, but it's faux pas.   In French the s at the end is silent and the u sound comes from the short a.  

Thankx. I think I got them all corrected.

• Love 1

I thought this episode was kind of meh.  First, I've never been a Gwyn fan so featuring her throughout the episode was a disappointment.   I don't understand how TK was still employed as firefighter/EMT since he was so addicted to drugs that his mother knew to find him sleeping in a drug den? 

I wish Gwyn's death coincided with TK almost dying a few episodes back.  If he woke up from the coma to hear that his mother died, it would have made way more sense why they were baking cookies together.  

Why didn't Owen just facetime Tommy about the Genevieve's injuries?  He wasted precious time trying to explain to her what was going on, then filming a video, sending it to her, having her watch it, etc.

I really hope Nancy and Mateo aren't going to be a thing.  

Nice to see Justine from Superstore.  Too bad she didn't have a bigger role.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Artsda said:

That was a good episode.

Poor TK. They kill his mother and put him in a plane crash on the way there. 

Sheesh as this show goes what else is new?... surprised he wasn't the one sucked out the window. Give it a rest show TK has been through enough already...

• Love 3
18 hours ago, eel21788 said:

If they were reformed, they wouldn't have been so strict about the burial happening within 24 hours. It would have been delayed until the guy who needed to say kaddish could get there.

Also, there are reformed rabbis who are still too offended by flowers to allow them at a funeral (this is speaking from personal experience).

When my Jewish boss’s mother died, I phoned another Jewish friend to consult on etiquette. Her husband answered the phone and called out to her “it’s Trillian.  Abe’s mother has died”. My friend practically screamed at me as she grabbed the phone from her husband “DON’T  SEND FLOWERS!”   I appreciated that, and all her other advice.

12 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Yes. If I'm remembering things right after it was determined that there was nothing that he could have done for Gwyn, he told the baby that mama loved him.

That pissed me off. When the call taker found out she wasn’t breathing, she should’ve talked him through compressions, not just given up.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Considering this is yet another "perils of TK" episode, I did think that this was well done. I really did get a lump in my throat a few times, especially when TK was talking about how he almost relapsed and then when everyone was watching the plane try to land. I also thought the flashbacks to Gwyn trying to help TK when he was at the worst of his addiction were quite good, they made me sad that we didn't get to see more of that side of her while she was alive. Really, if this is what TK's entire life has been like, he cant even go on a plane without it almost falling out of the sky, no wonder he ended up doing drugs. The universe is clearly out to get him. 

It was fun seeing Justine from Superstore as the very helpful blond passenger, wild seeing her playing someone so competent this time. I was expecting there to be more with her or the jerk guy from the start, but they mostly focused on TK and Owen, which makes sense given the character stuff happening. Glad that they seemed to have teased TK relapsing now and have seemingly moved past it, I was not into watching that getting dragged out.

Considering how annoyed I was last week by this plot development, this was a surprisingly good episode.

• Love 3

I don't understand how TK was still employed as firefighter/EMT since he was so addicted to drugs that his mother knew to find him sleeping in a drug den? 

Best guess: he never tested positive for drugs on the job, and never did anything that required a drug test (he pointed out to his mother he had never missed a shift or been derelict on the job) so nobody knew, and then Owen managed to provide a cover while he was in rehab. That said, if he was that far gone that his mother had to search seedy, run-down drug dens to find him, it's hard to believe none of his co-workers knew about his drug problems. 

• Love 6