Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: If Thou Wilt, Remember

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Binged the whole thing.

Have to say that I appreciate the books more than the show.  Mary Vaughn isn't such a "twirling mustache" villain in the books as she is in the show.

I knew that Cal's fan was going to be a bit of a wacko from the get go.

Surprised at the reveal of Issac's dad. First, how many kids has Bill fathered? Second, that puts a squash on a romance with Noreen and Issac which I thought would be great when she first moved in.  I would be kind of ick for Issac to be a step father to his half sister.

I don't like the whole Cal's temper issue. 

I hope Peggy's secrets she's been keeping on Trent comes out and just ruins the Lewis' and reinstates Cal.

I did fast forward a bit with the kids storylines. 

I also found this season to have more religious undertones from season 1 and more so from the books.  

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Binged the whole thing.

Have to say that I appreciate the books more than the show.  Mary Vaughn isn't such a "twirling mustache" villain in the books as she is in the show.

I knew that Cal's fan was going to be a bit of a wacko from the get go.

Surprised at the reveal of Issac's dad. First, how many kids has Bill fathered? Second, that puts a squash on a romance with Noreen and Issac which I thought would be great when she first moved in.  I would be kind of ick for Issac to be a step father to his half sister.

I hope Peggy's secrets she's been keeping on Trent comes out and just ruins the Lewis' and reinstates Cal.

I did fast forward a bit with the kids storylines. 

I also found this season to have more religious undertones from season 1 and more so from the books.  

I think Cal's 'anger issues' are being poorly written/handled IMO....The good thing is, the fan is at fault...tho Cal could've handle the situation better.  I'd bet money that Maddie gives Cal the 'I can't go through this again....' speech to him.

TBH I'm getting tired of Annie dumping on her mom and hero worshiping her father.

I'm interested in seeing what those secrets are too.

• Love 7

I find it so weird how shows like this and Virgin River cover so little time over a season. I will say that I found this show more digestible, no silly murders or endless pregnancies. 

The adults are generally well cast, the kids are way more up and down. I am surprised that the show tries to be diverse with its adults, the kids are so white and heteronormative. Is CeCe gone? She was the only kid I really liked. 

I hope the third season comes faster, I literally forgot everything that happened the first season. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Crazed fans can do some real violence so I don’t see a problem with what Cal did. I think there’s a difference between temper and violence, and the show didn’t do a good job of showing him to have a temper. 

I am not a Christian, so I struggled with how much this season seemed to really focus on kind of a lip service to religion. I probably am not explaining this well. Things like going to the pastor for counseling rather than a therapist was fine, but all of the “be good because God” stuff got wearisome. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Enjoyed it but not as much as season 1. 

Of the kids I also liked Cici best, maybe because the actress had a real spark or because she’s so scrappy. But the actor playing Ty is quite good. I didn’t understand how Jackson went from such a total dbag in season 1 to pure innocent sweetness this season. I also kept waiter for a true triangle between Annie, Ty and Jackson and it never happened. 

Helen’s story is the adult story I found most emotional and interesting. Love the actress. Maddie and Cal were a bit boring this time around though I appreciate the chemistry between the actors. Would be fine to never see Noreen again! 

It is a charming show with an almost fairy tale like town. 

• Love 5

Helen is my favorite character but Ryan seems duller than dirt. Maybe he's miscast, because I don't see the spark or love between them. #TeamErik!

Helen would be the best choice for mayor.

I'm not sure how old the magnolias are supposed to be...Heather H and Brooke E are around 47 and so I was surprised Helen's age wasn't mentioned in the discussions with her doctor. Joanna GS is 42 or so. Maybe they are all supposed to be early 40s.

Dana Sue is always so freaking angry. I wish Brooke E would play her a bit more vulnerable. I'm glad she's a tough broad, but I want to root for her and she makes it hard. 

Don't care about the kids. I don't care much about Maddie and Cal either. Maddie is a bit boring and I sort of wish someone else were playing her.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Pallida said:

I am not a Christian, so I struggled with how much this season seemed to really focus on kind of a lip service to religion. I probably am not explaining this well. Things like going to the pastor for counseling rather than a therapist was fine, but all of the “be good because God” stuff got wearisome. 

Welcome to the South....Especially the South East of the U.S. 

• Love 6

Unpopular opinion: I enjoy Maddie and Cal together and I'm good seeing them happy, stable, and drama-free for the most part. If that's boring, sign me up! And it dawned on me that if they ever get married, and if Maddie changes her name, she'll be Maddie Maddox. lol 

I loved that they gave Heather Heady opportunity to sing this season. Her voice is amazing. I don't think Helen is going to accept Ryan's proposal. I also think Helen would be the better choice to run for mayor than Maddie. Didn't they say you typically have to have a law degree? 

Perhaps the woman who slashed Dana Sue's tires is the woman Ronnie slept with. 

It's trending #1 on Netflix, I think it's looking good for a season 3. 

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I'm not sure how old the magnolias are supposed to be...Heather H and Brooke E are around 47 and so I was surprised Helen's age wasn't mentioned in the discussions with her doctor. Joanna GS is 42 or so. Maybe they are all supposed to be early 40s.

Isaac is 22 and was born when Peggy was 16 so if they're supposed to be the same age as her, I think they're in their late thirties.

• Love 3

Oh man, why did Miss Frances leave all that money to Dana Sue? Please, no more cheating scandals or secret children!

Oh noes, Cal punched a guy at some point in his life (like, as a sports “star,” I don’t find that super surprising). Do I think that’s some deep dark secret he should have shared with Maddie? Meh, not really. And the stuff with punching the unruly fan was just so overdramatic 🤣

Jackson doesn’t talk like a normal teenager, his dialogue is not remotely realistic (who am I kidding, most of the dialogue is silly).

So were Maddie and Bill together when he got Peggy pregnant? He said something like “it was before you and I were serious.” If Bill cheated on her, I get that she would be upset. But otherwise, her reaction seemed too much since he didn’t know anything about the pregnancy or adoption. I mean, Bill has made some terrible life choices, but he was robbed of having any say in the adoption as well as having a relationship with Isaac. 

I thought we’d get a scene showing that more happened at the party last season, but nope. So it was just that dumb argument between the brothers that caused Kyle to run off and steal his brother’s SUV? How stupid.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

Isaac is 22 and was born when Peggy was 16 so if they're supposed to be the same age as her, I think they're in their late thirties.

You're right, because Bill told Maddie he hooked up with Peggy "before you and I were serious." (Which, I'm not sure what that means -- at age 16, I doubt most people are playing the field). Wow. IMO none of the magnolias or the men they went to high school can pass for late 30s, except JGS and maybe the guy who plays Ryan (he and Helen look about 10 years apart).

Speaking of which, like SonofaBiscuit, I don't get Maddie's angry outburst at Bill when he revealed he's Isaac's father. It seemed totally unwarranted. Some of the writing this season left me scratching my head. There seemed to be a lot of DRAMA just for the sake of drama. I guess that's TV, but we probably aren't supposed to notice when there is so much DRAMA over very little.

• Love 9

When it comes to actors' and characters' ages it doesn't help that the actors have aged between the filming of seasons 1 and 2 but the second season follows immediately after the events of the first season so the characters are supposed to still be the same age.

• Love 4

I'm wondering if Maddie 's issue was more town gossip directed at her kids because of Bill, Peggy and Issac than anything else. Plus it gives Mary Vaughn more ammunition against her.

I wouldn't want Helen to be mayor just because there won't be anyone to do the "lawyering" in town. 

I just don't buy a Southern town that's super accepting of minors and LGBTQ.  And yet they all go to the same church on Sunday.  

• Love 2

I watched but it drug a little. Like others I thought Maddie blowing up over Bill not knowing he had a kid to be way over the top. Bill has his issues but he did nothing wrong in this situation and deserved a little grace. I did like how first I thought it was going to be Ryan and then the mayor. Nice fakeouts. 

I found the religious talk a bit too much this season. It was there last year but not all the time. Felt very preachy. 

It was a bit much how Noreen suddenly became everyone's best friend lol. The teen romance stuff is eh. 

I get why Maddie was annoyed that he didn't tell her the day before when she specifically asked. He mentions anger management but doesn't just say he got arrested? 

• Love 5

I watched this whole season very quickly, its mostly an easy breezy binge. I liked this season about as much as I liked season one, although I thought most of the teen drama was better handled last season. I do find it weird how both seasons have ended on these big drama bombs when the show is mostly a pretty light frothy chick flick dramady. There is always some drama, but they save the big stuff for the last minute. Its not a great show but I have fun watching it.

I like Maddie and Cal, especially him making an effort to bond with the boys, but I thought the ending was weird. I guess Cal punching that guy when he was already on the ground was going too far, but I cant blame him for shoving that guy out of the restaurant and getting upset, stalker fans can be really scary, I thought the guy was going to pull out a knife or a gun. I figured that he would turn out to be a crazy fan, he just had that vibe. I guess this is supposed to be this big thing where his anger management puts a strain on his relationship with Maddie, but I don't even think he was acting that unreasonably. The same with Maddie's freak out when she found out Bill was Isaacs father, its not like Bill knew about it, this one really isn't his fault. Bill is an enormous ass, but this isn't really something that she should be so furious about. 

Helen does seem like the best choice for mayor, I liked her story this season and they even let her sing a bit, a blessing for all of us. I am guessing that the woman who slashed Dana Sue's tiers is the woman who Ronnie slept with. While Noreen is a remorseful and mostly sympathetic other woman, this lady is clearly of the bunny boiling variety. 

The teen story felt a bit half cooked, they never really dealt with the fall out from the crash as much as I wanted, or any of the issues that led to it. Ty is my favorite teen, I hope he sticks around even after he's graduated high school. I am guessing the next season picks up right where this one left off like last season? 

While this season ended on a dramatic note, I do appreciate that for the most part the show has stayed petty drama free. When there is drama, like Isaac looking for his birth parents and the recall, they at least seem like things that could happen in real life, it doesn't really dive too deeply into over the top melodrama, which is probably why its such a nice light binge. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 2/7/2022 at 8:29 AM, paulvdb said:

When it comes to actors' and characters' ages it doesn't help that the actors have aged between the filming of seasons 1 and 2 but the second season follows immediately after the events of the first season so the characters are supposed to still be the same age.

This was especially obvious for Kyle and Ellie. I had re-watched the S1 finale before starting S2 and they both had such baby faces in S1. 

Speaking of ages, the actor who plays Ty is 24. 

Add me to the list of people who think that Cal was actually very restrained in the restaurant scene. Believe me, if a crazed fan of my boyfriend is ever physically threatening me, I would hope to God that he would use physical force to come between me and that threat!

• Love 5

I thought this season was ok, but a lot of what seemed to be major plot points were glossed over. There were three or four episodes of Maddie imploring Kyle to tell her what happened, as though it was some huge secret but I assume what we saw in the finale is all there was to it? Miss Francis dies off-screen? There’s a scene with Maddie, her mother and the kids discussing going to visit the new baby, but we don’t see that, yet we see the whole town drop over and give her gifts (which seemed way OTT). Just some really curious choices. 

Helen has a miscarriage and is still angsty from losing Ryan again, but bounces back to fall for Eric very quickly and then seems to regress immediately when Ryan shows up again? I agree with JillyBean that Ryan is boring, plus he’s jerked Helen around enough. 

Dana-Sue is hard to take. I couldn’t fathom why either guy found her attractive. She’s so shrill and judgemental. I was glad Ronnie called her on that and that she started to realise she had faults too, but honestly don’t think either of them is good for the other. 

Maddie and Cal are booooorrrring. And his anger issues seem manufactured just to give him something to do. 

Didn’t care about any of the kid storylines, and too much time was wasted on them. 

The Issac’s parentage storyline was my favourite, right til the end. Any of the other guys as his father would have been a better choice. Can you imagine if he was the mayor’s son and what that would have done to that family? But to make him Bill’s 5th kid was ridiculous. Maddie’s reaction was also over the top. I could understand it if he knew and never said anything, but given that he was never told, not sure how she could reasonably expect him to stop repeating that mistake. I assume she was thinking more of having to weather yet more gossip and what this would do to her kids, but still. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 2/5/2022 at 9:35 AM, greekmom said:

On 2/5/2022 at 10:33 AM, LadyChaos said:

I think Cal's 'anger issues' are being poorly written/handled IMO....The good thing is, the fan is at fault...tho Cal could've handle the situation better.  I'd bet money that Maddie gives Cal the 'I can't go through this again....' speech to him.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:05 PM, funnygirl said:

Unpopular opinion: I enjoy Maddie and Cal together and I'm good seeing them happy, stable, and drama-free for the most part. If that's boring, sign me!  

Please, no more cheating scandals or secret children!

On 2/7/2022 at 12:09 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

I thought we’d get a scene showing that more happened at the party last season, but nope. So it was just that dumb argument between the brothers that caused Kyle to run off and steal his brother’s SUV? How stupid.

On 2/7/2022 at 4:58 AM, Jillybean said:

There seemed to be a lot of DRAMA just for the sake of drama. I guess that's TV, but we probably aren't supposed to notice when there is so much DRAMA over very little.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, greekmom said:

I just don't buy a Southern town that's super accepting of minors and LGBTQ.  And yet they all go to the same church on Sunday.  

On 2/7/2022 at 1:46 PM, Bobcatkitten said:

I watched but it drug a little. Like others I thought Maddie blowing up over Bill not knowing he had a kid to be way over the top. Bill has his issues but he did nothing wrong in this situation and deserved a little grace. I did like how first I thought it was going to be Ryan and then the mayor. Nice fakeouts. 

I found the religious talk a bit too much this season. It was there last year but not all the time. Felt very preachy. 

It was a bit much how Noreen suddenly became everyone's best friend lol. The teen romance stuff is eh. 

I get why Maddie was annoyed that he didn't tell her the day before when she specifically asked. He mentions anger management but doesn't just say he got arrested? 

All the above posts perfectly encapsulate my thoughts on S2, especially the last post from @Bobcatkitten

Throughout the season, I just kept waiting for Isaac to be the mayor’s son. Like so many of you, I felt Maddie’s reaction to the news was over the top. I felt Bill was beginning to redeem himself, but I’m disappointed he didn’t try to spend more time with Noreen and the baby. I realize she has a lot going on as a new mom, but with all the small town gossip, she needs to hear the news from him.

Good for Peggy for trying to form a relationship with Isaac despite her mother’s objections.

Helen needs to get past Ryan. Part of me wished Ronnie would stop trying to get back with Dana Sue. He seems too good for her, but I know how much it means to Annie to have them back together. 

Is the show popular with teens? If not, I wish they’d drop some of those storylines—especially those involving Kyle.

• Love 6
On 2/7/2022 at 12:25 PM, greekmom said:

I'm wondering if Maddie 's issue was more town gossip directed at her kids because of Bill, Peggy and Issac than anything else. Plus it gives Mary Vaughn more ammunition against her.

I wouldn't want Helen to be mayor just because there won't be anyone to do the "lawyering" in town. 

I live in South Carolina. I’ve met several teens and teachers who identify as LGBTQ here. People know and are accepting, so I felt that part is realistic. 

I agree about Helen as mayor. I hope she remains an attorney and stays out of politics. 

ETA: I’m disappointed with Helen’s character this season. Initially she came across as strong and intelligent. One scene she was that and the next a crying mess. Based on her wardrobe, she seemed the obvious choice for Dana Sue’s new partner. The baby storyline just doesn’t mesh with her original personality. I hope they move past that and give her more opportunities to shine next season rather than weighing her down with so much drama.  Let Maddie and Dana Sue continue as the drama queens while Helen remains steady. 

I’m also disappointed with what they did to Coach Cal’s character. If they wanted Maddie to remain single, there could have been a better way for his exit. 

Edited by Neiman
On 2/12/2022 at 4:36 PM, Neiman said:

Is the show popular with teens? 

I don’t know the answer to this (or maybe the answer is No since my two teen daughters don’t watch it), but I came here to ask the impression of fellow viewers: 

In the scene where Tyler goes to Helen’s house to drop off the thumb drive (this was the second to final S2 episode), we know that when Helen is discussing first love she’s talking about Ryan, but did anyone else see subtext where Tyler might have been thinking about Annie?  Am I crazy for thinking this?  
My reason for this is when Tyler mentions to Helen about someone having a simple coffee order, I didn’t know what the heck he was talking about and then later, at the coffee house Ty hears Jackson order a “complicated” coffee that Ty knew was Annie’s coffee. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I don’t know the answer to this (or maybe the answer is No since my two teen daughters don’t watch it), but I came here to ask the impression of fellow viewers: 

In the scene where Tyler goes to Helen’s house to drop off the thumb drive (this was the second to final S2 episode), we know that when Helen is discussing first love she’s talking about Ryan, but did anyone else see subtext where Tyler might have been thinking about Annie?  Am I crazy for thinking this?  
My reason for this is when Tyler mentions to Helen about someone having a simple coffee order, I didn’t know what the heck he was talking about and then later, at the coffee house Ty hears Jackson order a “complicated” coffee that Ty knew was Annie’s coffee. 

I don’t think that was even subtext, I thought it was very explicit that he was thinking of Annie. Cici even said he never got over his “kindergarten crush” so we can assume Ty has feelings for Annie. I thought season 1 did a much better job of showing the tension there but I suppose it will be picked up in season 3. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Jma14 said:

I don’t think that was even subtext, I thought it was very explicit that he was thinking of Annie. Cici even said he never got over his “kindergarten crush” so we can assume Ty has feelings for Annie. I thought season 1 did a much better job of showing the tension there but I suppose it will be picked up in season 3. 

Is it confirmed there will be a S3?  Also, man oh man I hope there isn't a long gap between S2 & S3 the way there was between S1 and S2. I desperately needed the recap Netflix provided because I couldn't remember a dang thing that happened in S1  (besides the Bill/Maddie divorce, thus freeing her to get together with Cal)!!!

I’m already not looking forward to season three. Helen figuring out if she should choose the superior Erik or wishy washy Ryan, manufactured drama for Cal and Maddie by his prior anger issues, more bullying by Mary Vaughn, Dana Sue continuing to be annoying as hell, and the dreaded triangle between Ty, Annie and Jackson. I actually prefer Ty with CeCe and like Annie and Jackson so this one will probably be the worst.

Maddie’s reaction to finding out about Isaac was absolutely ridiculous. Bill didn’t even know about the pregnancy and kid and she’s making it all about herself. Probably anger from the cheating but my goodness. And she gets all “big eyed” when Cal gets angry when she has her outbursts. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 6

I just finished bingeing the season and...just like season 1, I found it just ok, not great. I completely forgot about everything that happened from season 1 so a lot of the first couple of episodes was piecing together storylines I didn't remember.

I do like Helen/Erik, which is why it's a shame they brought Ryan to do the obligatory "Ooops, jk, I want kids now!" and introducing another dreaded love triangle. If Helen's smart, she'll let Ryan down easy and tell him she's looking forward with Erik, not with him.

Dana Sue's storyline was annoying, as per usual. That's something I didn't forget about her character from the first season. They got rid of Farmer Jeremy rather quickly. I don't mind Ronnie and did like the scene where he finally told her off and told her that she was also at fault for their failing marriage. I hope that Dana Sue's romance drama is over and done with, and her and Ronnie just work on themselves from now on. 

Annie/Jackson/Ty? Yawn. I actually like the Annie/Jackson and Ty/Cece couples and I'm still hoping that Ty/Annie never become a thing. Maybe the old guy who was with Miss Frances was foreshadowing Annie/Ty's future (Annie not reciprocating any feelings for Ty). It was good to see Ty and Annie in their own separate storylines, too. Ty had a good personal story this season and I don't need him bogged down with a love triangle for a potential season 3. And as annoying as it is that they turned Jackson from jackass jock to heart-of-gold Romeo to Annie's Juliet, I like the actors' chemistry way better. 

Alas, if Kyle/Nellie are getting together, they likely won't have Jackson/Annie stay together either. Two of the mayor's kids dating two of the main character's kids? 

Isaac being Peggy and BILL's child was...well, one was unexpected, the other was not. Of course, anything to shit on Bill even more. Now, I don't even like Bill, and I liked that he was only in, like, three or four episodes this season, but Maddie berating Bill for something he didn't even know, before he and Maddie were a couple, is just ridiculous. I get you hate him, Maddie, but you really need to either get over your anger issues or be like your boyfriend.

Speaking of Cal, what an...abrupt turn-around with his character. Yes, he has some anger issues, but they suddenly ramped it up ten-fold. And, no, I don't count the one or two bursts of anger this season as true "foreshadowing" because he's basically been calm and patient up until this finale. Not well done at all, especially with Cal suddenly forgetting about his assault and battery when him and Maddie were trying to figure out what Mary Vaughan had on him. Right, of course he conveniently forgot that fact.

As for Mystery Woman who hates Dana Sue, join the club! Ok, now the only downside is that Mystery Woman took it out on Annie, which is a no-go. 

I'm not even sure why I'm considering coming back for a third season. There's not a lot I'm really looking forward to.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I just finished bingeing the season and...just like season 1, I found it just ok, not great. 
Same here. 

Annie/Jackson/Ty? Yawn. I actually like the Annie/Jackson and Ty/Cece couples and I'm still hoping that Ty/Annie never become a thing. Maybe the old guy who was with Miss Frances was foreshadowing Annie/Ty's future (Annie not reciprocating any feelings for Ty).
I have to admit, I’m a sucker for the trope of “boy/girl next door basically grow up together and go from friends to more than friends.” I don’t sense much chemistry between Ty/Cece (comments from Ty & Gabe make it seem Ty hooked up w/Cece as “cover” for Ty’s feelings about Annie since he’s not ready to admit to himself what he feels for her) or Annie/Jackson. 

And as annoying as it is that they turned Jackson from jackass jock to heart-of-gold Romeo to Annie's Juliet, 
THIS! And I felt more needed to be done to show Jackson truly had a change in personality. 

Speaking of Cal, what an...abrupt turn-around with his character. Yes, he has some anger issues, but they suddenly ramped it up ten-fold. And, no, I don't count the one or two bursts of anger this season as true "foreshadowing" because he's basically been calm and patient up until this finale. Not well done at all, especially with Cal suddenly forgetting about his assault and battery when him and Maddie were trying to figure out what Mary Vaughan had on him. Right, of course he conveniently forgot that fact.

Yep, this plot development was half baked and not well executed. 

I'm not even sure why I'm considering coming back for a third season. There's not a lot I'm really looking forward to.

I’ll watch S3 if indeed there is a S3 since this show is an easy binge. 

I liked the first season much better. This one? There isn’t much drama in physical therapy and parking spaces. And the ending was ridiculous- the man was clearly out of line and Cal punched him one time and it’s a matter for the police?

Agree with all who have said that Maddie's reaction to Bill was unwarranted.  I kept wishing he would say, "I just found this out myself! And I am here telling you right away!" But he just kept apologizing and asking for forgiveness.  For what?  This really has nothing to do with her.  It will probably be a shock to the kids, but again, this happened a long time ago when Bill and Peggy were 16, right?

Are the Sweet Magnolias books so religious? I really noticed all the preachy references in the last few episodes, and I can do without them.

I do like the town of Serenity, and the Corner Spa is beautiful. I could see this becoming a series on the Hallmark Channel.

• Love 4
On 2/17/2022 at 10:55 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I do like Helen/Erik, which is why it's a shame they brought Ryan to do the obligatory "Ooops, jk, I want kids now!" and introducing another dreaded love triangle. If Helen's smart, she'll let Ryan down easy and tell him she's looking forward with Erik, not with him.

Ryan's proposal is BS. Even when he and Helen were dating last season, he was barely around. He travels for work. So now he's going to settle down in small town Serenity and have a family? He's going to do a 180 for his high school/college gf whom he's only spoken to for a few months in the past 20 years? Please. He needs to get his head out of the clouds and move on. 

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 3

I guess I'm alone here, but I actually enjoyed this season more than Season 1. I liked that Maddie was over the angst of Bill/Noreen for the most part. It felt more like an ensemble with the town.

Dana Sue has always been unlikeable to me, so more of the same there IMO. At least this season she was actually called on it by Ronnie, her friends and gently by the pastor.

I like Annie and Jackson together rather than her pining for Tyler. The guy playing Ty is probably my favorite on the show. Ty is such a good kid - almost too good, but I did love when CeCe made the relationship analogy of the value of continuing to repair a broken car vs. just letting it go. She is a boss.

I liked that Ty made peace with Jackson. I don't mind that Jackson has been somewhat redeemed this season - I think the guilt of what he did last season made him realize what an ass he was. Plus, the weight of the expectations of the baseball team falling on him after Ty was injured might have helped him see things from Ty's perspective. I am kind of digging the Romeo and Juliet vibe of him and Annie. Of course the older kids decide to defy their parents while the younger ones defer.

Helen continues to be the shining star of this show. I thought her storyline was the best and very moving until that turd Ryan came back. I hope she sends him packing quickly. It seemed she had already made up her mind by standing by Erik at the funeral. I think I would watch this show just to see what Helen is wearing. So much fab! And definitely the obvious choice for mayor.

I admit I was moved when Maddie went to see Noreen after she had the baby. Her tears felt true - sad for what was lost yet knowing a little baby did not deserve to be blamed for the situation. Maybe my favorite scene with Maddie of the whole series - JGS always seems so wooden. And yes, her reaction to Bill was over the top. But man, I would be pissed to know Bill has sired yet another child. It's just embarrassing.

I wonder why Dana Sue was given the money from Miss Francis. I hope Helen gets her baby, but not with Ryan. I hope Trotter and Ashley get their kid. I hope the mayor gets recalled and we find out what dirt Peggy has been holding back. I hope Ty and CeCe make up and Ty figures out what else he likes besides baseball. I want to see Jackson and Annie sneaking around behind their parents backs. I want to see Isaac and Noreen as roomies. I don't care about the psycho lady, Kyle or the younger sister who exists mostly as background noise to the point I wonder why she is even there. I don't really care about Maddie and Cal or Dana Sue and Ronnie. But I do hope there is a season 3. This is not high art, but it is easy to watch and relaxing. Plus, I like that Netflix has something that isn't TV-MA for once.

• Love 7

I binged season 1 & 2. Helen is my favorite character. Dana Sue has such an ABRASIVE personality, it’s hard to imagine she even has friends.

Maddie annoys me so much. I’ll say it, I think she’s not a good mother. She can’t wait a few months until baseball season is over to date the coach? Even though Ty has told her how embarrassing it is for him?

I don’t understand why they wrote the younger daughter on the show. Between her job at the spa, dates with Cal, going to town meetings, margaritas with the girls, when exactly does Maddie spend any time with this kid? I can see the older kids not needing that much attention, but this is an early elementary-aged kid that seems to spend 90% of her time with a babysitter or grandma.

Also tired of the dramatics between Maddie & Bill. Yes, he’s the villain  but she overreacts in every scene with him. As others have mentioned, like when he tells her about Isaac. He didn’t know himself, he’s not allowed to be angry that he didn’t know either? Instead he’s left apologizing. And at the hospital Maddie blames him for Kyle’s accident because he bought Ty the car. He’s supposed to predict that his 14 yr old is going to take it & crash? Also she gets on Cal for having stuff in his past & not dealing with it, but he’s been patient with her & all of the chaos in her life.

I think we’re supposed to sympathize with her but I just get annoyed. And side note, I thought she was Amy Adams! 

• Love 6
On 3/28/2022 at 2:06 PM, Ilovepie said:

But man, I would be pissed to know Bill has sired yet another child. It's just embarrassing.

I wonder why Dana Sue was given the money from Miss Francis.
 or the younger sister who exists mostly as background noise to the point I wonder why she is even there.

Plus, I like that Netflix has something that isn't TV-MA for once.

I know he didn’t know about Isaac, so I took her anger as “Jesus Christ, Bill, I just got me & the kids recovered from your first scandal. Now we’ll be the talk of the town again.”

Very curious about that $. I thought each of them would get an envelope. 

I’m either wondering where the little sister is (prob w/Grandma) or when she is on screen, wondering why the little girl is wearing a wig.

In the corner, it said whatever rating for language and sex. Laughable b/c there is barely any language & the sex is very vanilla. Ronnie hasn’t even take off his shirt. 😢

~~~~
Finally heard the entire song they use for the theme song & I love it. Destination by Nickel Creek. 

• Love 2

I just binged watched the entire series this weekend. I loved it. I like the adults and the teens. Helen is amazing. I love the friendship amongst Maddie, Helen, and Dana Sue. Best part of the show. Love the margarita nights. 

Feel bad for Helen. I think Ryan has jerked her around long enough. Sometimes at some point you have to accept it’s not meant to be and move on. 

I’m totally onboard with Cal and Maddie. I think they are so sweet/cute. Awww. I don’t like this manufactured anger issues though. And the boosters who above all wants athletic results firing the guy (a popular gorgeous former pro athlete who took the team to states for the 1st time in 10 years in his 1st year as coach) for getting in a fight with some guy back in the day. Pfft. Please. And very short sighted for next year. I really hope this latest fight (which I think was totally justified) doesn’t screw up him/Maddie or his future in this town. 

I like all the kids. I think the acting and storylines are good. I thought Kyle and Nellie were sweet. While I’m glad that Jackson seems to be growing up, I admit was hoping for a Ty/Annie romance. I am glad to see some healing between the friends. 

I thought for sure Isaac’s Daddy was going to be the mayor. I never in a million years even though it would be Bill. Jesus, clearly the man doesn’t believe in safe sex. That’s going to be a mess. Can’t wait to see the margarita night reveal of this between the friends. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, MzLiz said:

Can’t wait to see the margarita night reveal of this between the friends. 

But do we know that this show has been renewed?  Netflix is having money issues from what I hear...

20 hours ago, norcalgal said:

But do we know that this show has been renewed?  Netflix is having money issues from what I hear...

Yes, it has! 😊 I tried to link the article, but couldn’t. 

Some random questions- how can isaac afford to live in such a gorgeous house? Why is the little girl wearing a wig?

Its a slow moving show but sweet and fairly uncomplicated, thats why i enjoyed watching.

I came late to this show, ran across it while looking for something to watch on a hot day.  Watched them all within a week or so.

Cal and Maddie are vanilla, no chemistry between them at all.

I was completely lost with the game building kids and their discussions which seemed to go on forever.  Assuming that this is not a show for kids, it was way too much time wasted.  Can't care much about any of the kids although Kyle has the most gorgeous eyes.

Hate Ronnie, he comes across as a sleaze to me.  Meh on Dana Sue.  Can't seem to care about her one way or other.

Poor Isaac sure got the bottom of the barrel in his bio parents.

Love Helen and Eric, they belong together. Ryan just need to go back to some foreign country and save the world.  But I do not see Helen's obsession with having a baby.  Does she realize that they grow up and won't be infants forever?  Her craving seems over the top.

I can't hate Bill because I can't stand to listen to him with that horrible, horrible fake accent.  Makes me miss most of the story.

And, please drop all of the relligious crap.  God this and god that is seriously getting on my nerves.  Forgiveness flows way too readily.

With all of that said, I will probably watch season three, if for no other reason than to see the mayor and his witch wife go down.

• Like 2