Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E05: It's Not a Shore Thing

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

I don't interpret "Municipal Wastewater Operator" as garbage man. I work for a federal agency that manages lots and lots of infrastructure and the people who run our locks and dams and other projects would have a similar title. He likely has an engineering or technical background of some sort and helps keep a plant running.

Right -- he probably operates plant machinery, not jumps off the back of a garbage truck.  He would've had to be at least certified.  

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

If that's what the job title meant, I don't see anything wrong with it and we certainly need them.  

My former colleague was (I assume she still is) married to a sanitation worker. Pretty good money, very good benefits, secure, and as you say, we need them. There have been delays in garbage pickup due to COVID and everybody notices how much we need sanitation workers then. Not everybody wants to sit in an office all day. 

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Intuition said:

You are not the only one to wonder about that.  In my house we all wondered if production put Mark up to saying he wanted to slow things down.  I think this show keeps firming up the contracts to make them have to say what production wants them to say when they tell them to say it.  Like there is a script they're sometimes told to follow.  Lindsey was obviously put on the show for drama and if things are going too good between her and Mark she might not provide it so much.

I have been saying this for a long time.  Much of this "reality" show is scripted.  🤣

• Love 7

I too was wondering why if the situation is so severe ( Alyssa and Chris) -why why why with all these experts on board why why why there is no "ok let's all sit down and discuss"...... very strange and very wrong.  

And can I just say I am so not team Lindsey . While it might have been 3 of the airplane bottles of wine, that's still a lot of wine to consume. Give me a break. The flight from Boston to PR and 3 glasses of wine?  It's like 3 or 4 hours. Right, like not crazy indulging but seriously a lot more than people I see on planes.

• Love 7
On 2/4/2022 at 12:37 AM, ChiMama said:

Do you mind sharing the name?

It's called Are You My Podcast? Even if you just put married at first sight in a podcast search engine, it will pop up. Two female comedians do the podcast. They are funny but they geuinely like the show. Their comedy can be quite blue at times just as a heads up.

The bald and the beautiful is also great.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Nancybeth said:

I don't think in either of those cases they were as brutally honest as Alyssa is being, it was just a vague "There's no attraction for me."

Well, didn't Luke say he felt dead inside and go into the bathroom and throw up after they had sex? And then had sex with her again? As big a jerk as Zach was, he didn't have sex with Mindy to see if that "built attraction," as he was always looking for.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Retired at last said:

Well, didn't Luke say he felt dead inside and go into the bathroom and throw up after they had sex? And then had sex with her again? As big a jerk as Zach was, he didn't have sex with Mindy to see if that "built attraction," as he was always looking for.

I don't remember Luke or Zach being as specific and pointed as we are seeing Alyssa be. I may be wrong, but her saying "I don't like his teeth," or talking about his body would be the equivalent of a groom telling the producers, "Her boobs are too small" or "I hate short hair on women." 

• Love 4
On 2/3/2022 at 12:50 AM, buttersister said:

These people. According to Lindsey on the after party, she and Mark had sex 3 separate times that day and he’d promised her a very romantic dinner then tapped the brakes. That would be a no. I kinda don’t blame blind-sided Lindsey, who I don’t like, for divulging his personal grossness and bailing. WTF?

I'm wondering if she was putting pressure on him to do it though?  Maybe he was trying to tell her it was too much, too soon?  Slow it down?  I don't know...she seems like the over aggressive type.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, Polliwollidoodle said:

I too was wondering why if the situation is so severe ( Alyssa and Chris) -why why why with all these experts on board why why why there is no "ok let's all sit down and discuss"...... very strange and very wrong.  

And can I just say I am so not team Lindsey . While it might have been 3 of the airplane bottles of wine, that's still a lot of wine to consume. Give me a break. The flight from Boston to PR and 3 glasses of wine?  It's like 3 or 4 hours. Right, like not crazy indulging but seriously a lot more than people I see on planes.

Those little airplane bottles of wine are much smaller than what you'd get if you sat down to eat at a restaurant/bar.  Three of those would probably be like 1 1/2 glasses of wine is you're at a restaurant, so to me, that wasn't an unreasonable amount in a 3 to 4 hour setting when you're on your honeymoon and aren't driving.

That said, if the wine hit her hard and that's the reason she was being obnoxious, that's a different thing.  However, she's obnoxious sober so I doubt that is the reason but the excuse for why she was being obnoxious.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mellybelly said:

I'm wondering if she was putting pressure on him to do it though?  Maybe he was trying to tell her it was too much, too soon?  Slow it down?  I don't know...she seems like the over aggressive type.  

I think that he is into her and wanted to connect but she also said I'm in love with you during that same day which is what I think he wanted to slow down on. Not the connecting and growing part. His word salad of an explanation killed him though.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, JenE4 said:

So Michael is right that everyone (aside from Katina) knows that “I’m sorry you felt that way” is passive aggressive and not a real apology. But Katina is also right that she didn’t do anything wrong and doesn’t need to apologize. And though they’re both right on the one hand, they’re more egregiously wrong on the other person’s point, so I’m going to deem them both wrong in this fight. Michael gets a slight advantage at the end by acknowledging that she feels she didn’t do anything wrong, and he should accept whatever apology she gives, plus some other positive stuff—but then he says “nip it in the butt” and he loses again.

They say a shark never stops swimming—but Mark the Shark is pumping the brakes. Lindsey is either all in or all out. Now she’s pulling out his bathroom habits?! What is happening? Oh, I think she’s implying he needs to use manners to court her? Where are your manners, ma’am? Oh, now she’s admitting to consummating the marriage? So much for playing coy at the top of the episode. I’m sure the show planned this dinner. Oh, no, there are rose petals leading to the heart on the bed! Noooooo! Lindsey is on the floor blowing out tea light candles.

@JenE4 Thank you for the laugh this morning - your play by play of what feels like  Jasmina & Mike's 100th argument about stupid crap made me laugh. I'm going to start using "nip it in the butt" from now on.......

And yes to questioning Lindsey's manners - you don't get to complain about someone's private bathroom habits when you drank THREE BOTTLES OF WINE! on an airplane and made a fool of yourself. And I'm not even mentioning getting drunk right before your wedding and pulling your top all the way down to find your vows. Oops, I guess I did mention it. My point: She is not exactly classy either......

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

Kudos to the producers who found Alyssa's least flattering angle with her gut sticking out, and held the camera on her for a long time!  

While she complained about Chris with his shirt off, while standing there like the biggest stick-in-the-mud as he was attempting to salvage some fun.

And love the camera people who always manage to focus just enough on her double chin.  Love it!

• LOL 6
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Mercolleen said:

I have only read p. 1 of comments, but OMG Alyssa is mad because Chris doesn't match what A PSYCHIC said she would get? 

you know what would have been amazing?  if Chris had ripped off his pants at that moment and showed her an eagle tattoo (or whatever it was) on his butt!!!

Edited by Alexander Pope
  • LOL 16
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mercolleen said:

I have only read p. 1 of comments, but OMG Alyssa is mad because Chris doesn't match what A PSYCHIC said she would get? 

It gets even more interesting apparently. Alyssa was told that her man would actually have a lion tattoo not an eagle.

Steve has a lion tattoo. 

She told Noi that Steve should have been her match and made Noi cry.

So, when she says eagle, she was told to say that because of the issues it caused.

Also, Steve was told to cover up his lion tattoo as a result of this. This all comes from Steve.

• Useful 8
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Intuition said:

I thought similar about Alyssa.  It's not just that she didn't want to go snorkeling with Chris, it's also that she wouldn't want to get her hair wet and mess up her false eyelashes and eyeliner.  That's the absolute BEST she can look and I'm sure she knows that she would look awful with wet hair with wonky eyelashes.  She was fine with the boarding on the water, because she didn't get wet at all.

She also knew already that she was good at paddle boarding. I think that ACE only likes to do things she's good at. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Jesus. Who does that? What does she expect Noi to do, get divorced? “You’re right, you can have my husband. I’ll call a lawyer when I get home.”

34 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

She also knew already that she was good at paddle boarding. I think that ACE only likes to do things she's good at. 

I think she is also very conscious of the way she looks on TV and doesn’t want to look bad (too late!).

• Love 9

Too bad Atlanta and Boston aren't closer together because the perfect 90 pairing would be Lindsey and Virginia...

I must be the only one, but hearing someone farts and has clogged up a toilet doesn't really offend me (I, too, once clogged up a toilet...). So, LIndsey only made herself look bad when she said Mark did those things.  However, I am right there with Lindsey about Mark wanting to slow down after having sex.  Mark-those issues were there BEFORE you had sex, so you are the one making yourself look bad.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

It gets even more interesting apparently. Alyssa was told that her man would actually have a lion tattoo not an eagle.

Steve has a lion tattoo. 

So, when she says eagle, she was told to say that because of the issues it caused.

Also, Steve was told to cover up his lion tattoo as a result of this. This all comes from Steve.

I saw that on the after party and I find it very hard to believe Alyssa's story about the psychic.  That's a very specific thing and most psychics don't get THAT specific.  They may use more general adjectives about eyes and height but tattoos?  I think she liked Steve and caught a glimpse of his tattoo and then made that story up.  Then she stirred the shit by telling Noi about it.  She's figuratively throwing a tantrum because she didn't get what she wanted and when she saw Noi with someone better in her view and happier with her match, she tried to take her down with her.  Her maturity level is an insult to toddlers.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

My former colleague was (I assume she still is) married to a sanitation worker. Pretty good money, very good benefits, secure, and as you say, we need them. 

Very different from the UK where garbage disposal has been privatised. Local councils tender for service contracts and take the cheapest option. The average wage for a garbage man in the UK is about £20,000 (around $27,000) and they are usually on zero hours contracts (which means pretty much "at will" employment with no benefits or security).

Where I live (busy suburban area) our garbage is only collected once every two weeks - and then they will only take one bin per household. As a single person, I don't find that a problem, I recycle paper, plastic, etc. and compost plant waste and so don't tend to have a full bin of other trash. But for families with babies who need to dispose of diapers, etc. or just any household of more than a couple of people, it's a problem. If the bin is full and people leave bags of trash next to their bin, they aren't taken, and then foxes rip them open and scatter the contents everywhere. I don't mind people filling up my bin once I put it out for collection. Neighbours are regularly having to take their extra trash to the dump in their cars.

I admire anyone who does that kind of work. Even if Olajuwon is working in a plant, it's probably not the most pleasant job, so good for him.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I don't interpret "Municipal Wastewater Operator" as garbage man. I work for a federal agency that manages lots and lots of infrastructure and the people who run our locks and dams and other projects would have a similar title. He likely has an engineering or technical background of some sort and helps keep a plant running.

I actually took the time to look up the requirements for a position with that title and at least in NY State a HS diploma or GED is the minimum educational requirement for all levels of the position.  As the grade levels go up there are more courses required to be certified, but even the highest level only requires something like an additional 6 courses, and I'm not even sure they're college level courses but specific trades courses.  So it he's not a "garbage man" but it's also not a job where one needs a degree or background in engineering.  I am sure the managers at higher levels would need those degrees, but not someone with a title of "operator".

But seriously, there is no shame in that and like others have said, I'm sure it's a good career with good benefits.  Both Olajuwon and Katina don't strike me as having been college educated but so what?  My husband has a GED and so did my dad.

• Love 7

I must be the only one, but hearing someone farts and has clogged up a toilet doesn't really offend me (I, too, once clogged up a toilet...). So, LIndsey only made herself look bad when she said Mark did those things. 

Everyone farts. Everyone poops. I can see that there are more and less polite ways to do these things but it's not Mark's fault the toilet clogged. I thought it was ridiculous for Lindsey to bring it up, even though I could understand why her feelings were hurt.

• Love 3

I think that some people are missing the fact that airplane bottles of wine are not the same as bottles of wine you would buy at the store. 3 bottles of 187 mL does not equal 3 bottles of 750 mL. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Everyone farts. Everyone poops. I can see that there are more and less polite ways to do these things but it's not Mark's fault the toilet clogged. I thought it was ridiculous for Lindsey to bring it up, even though I could understand why her feelings were hurt.

Yeah, the thing to have said would be:

"Wait, now you want to go slow, but having sex with me several times isn't too fast?"

I'm confused why that wasn't her go to?  

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

I don't think anyone is missing the difference in wine bottle sizes, and it's already been discussed.

I must have missed it. I just think they way people are horrified and keep emphasizing "three bottles of wine" in all caps seem like it is understood that she put away 3 full size bottles, when it was more like 3-4 glasses of wine. That might be a lot, but she was on a plane on the way to her honeymoon. Why not?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, sara416 said:

I must have missed it. I just think they way people are horrified and keep emphasizing "three bottles of wine" in all caps seem like it is understood that she put away 3 full size bottles, when it was more like 3-4 glasses of wine. That might be a lot, but she was on a plane on the way to her honeymoon. Why not?

Trust me -- it wasn't even 3-4 glasses of wine.  The mini bottles are much smaller than a normal glass of wine you'd get at a restaurant.  I doubt she was even drunk if she had 3 of the small bottles on the plane (although airport bar is probably the start of drinking).

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, sara416 said:

Yeah, you missed it. ☺️

• Love 1
9 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Right, if it were anyone else I’d agree that he meant the airplane-sized bottles, which would really only be three glasses of wine. But we saw—and Lindsey told us—that she had two full bottles of champagne just in the limo between the hotel and the wedding venue! Plus however much else she had already had at the hotel—and later throughout the wedding reception! This woman drinks an inordinate amount! That’s why Mark, upon hearing they were going to a pina colada-making class immediately said let’s try to take it easy with the drinking. He’s not concerned about 3 glasses of anything—though three is a lot for me and probably for a lot of women. But we’ve seen Lindsey pounding back shocking amounts of alcohol this whole show—and her behavior changes the more she drinks. Honestly, if Mark had the conversation with Lindsey about slowing things down earlier in the day she may have better understood the point he was trying to make that they’re still getting to know each other. But he made the fatal mistake of waiting until evening and after drinks all day and at dinner, when her blood-alcohol content was probably at its highest. 

I think Lindsey is a functional alcoholic who doesn't think she’s an alcoholic because she doesn’t drink on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday nights. Even her body reflects her over-drinking. And she’ll let everything fly without a second thought, then blame it on the alcohol and how she was triggered. 

I bet that her drinking led to the breakdown of her relationship with her mother. She probably verbally abused her mom during a drunk moment, her mother was offended, told Lindsey never to speak to her like that again, get some help with the drinking problem or she (Mother Lindsey) won’t have anything to do with her.

Having their honeymoon activity center around pina colodas HAD to be a producer set up. Lindsey was completely inebriated. Mark the Shark needs to realize that Lindsey might “love” him, but she loves her alcohol even more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Bad communicators this episode: Alyssa- still wouldn't say she quit, Chris- still let her get away with not saying she quit, Michael- unproductive connection issue, Jas- rejecting his "cut-off" issue & fake apology, & Mark- slowing down crap. Steve & Noi were borderline bad with the falling in love crap. O & Kat didn't really talk, but she didn't say she had an issue with how he was talking to her at the gym. O talking about the mother/daughter was too much.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Intuition said:

But seriously, there is no shame in that and like others have said, I'm sure it's a good career with good benefits.  Both Olajuwon and Katina don't strike me as having been college educated but so what?  My husband has a GED and so did my dad.

I believe Olajuwon and Jephte from the previous Boston season played college football together.  I wouldn't be surprised if Katina who works in HR had some level of college education as well.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Chris- still let her get away with not saying she quit, 

I'm not sure what else he can do. He asks. She non-answers. He can't force it out of her.

I bet that her drinking led to the breakdown of her relationship with her mother. She probably verbally abused her mom during a drunk moment, her mother was offended, told Lindsey never to speak to her like that again, get some help with the drinking problem or she (Mother Lindsey) won’t have anything to do with her.

Lindsey has been drunk a whole lot of the time she has been on this show but I'm not yet ready to say she is an alcoholic nor do I necessarily think that alcohol caused a rift with her mom. I think it's equally, if not more, likely that Lindsey's use of alcohol resulted from a lifetime of relationship issues with her mother. She said her mother had never been kind to her. That's a pretty profound rejection. 

• Love 5

I would have sympathy for Chris if he hadn't specifically ask for a "skinny, fit" wife. Which was rich coming from him. There's a saying, "be careful what you wish for because you just might get it."  How is that skinny wife working out for you, Chris?

• Useful 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7

Lol just reading comments about MTS and I thought that guy had a busy day!

Sex three times, plugged up the toilet, fart party then broke up with his wife at the fancy dinner he arranged!

He’s quite the guy!

• LOL 13
19 hours ago, Intuition said:

What grossed me out is that it seemed like Olajuwon was bragging about it in front of his new wife and everyone else.  That was the height of bad taste and low class.  If he had truly changed he would cringe to have people know that stuff.  Unfortunately I don't think Katina will be put off by that, which says something about her too.

Here I thought she was too classy for him.  Now, after him revealing he slept with a family, I don’t know about her.  She should be mortified when he speaks like that.  It’s not funny.  Plus, he talks too much about threesomes.  She just laughs. Maybe she’s not as bright as I thought she was.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Empress1 said:

My former colleague was (I assume she still is) married to a sanitation worker. Pretty good money, very good benefits, secure, and as you say, we need them. There have been delays in garbage pickup due to COVID and everybody notices how much we need sanitation workers then. Not everybody wants to sit in an office all day. 

Let me be clear here.  Growing up in Queens, N.Y. , four men on the block worked and were called garbage men.  Nothing wrong with that.  After awhile, they were called sanitation workers.  No offense.  It’s a good city job with benefits and pension after twenty years.  Why all the fuss?

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

Trust me -- it wasn't even 3-4 glasses of wine.  The mini bottles are much smaller than a normal glass of wine you'd get at a restaurant.  I doubt she was even drunk if she had 3 of the small bottles on the plane (although airport bar is probably the start of drinking).

That’s what I was going to say.  Who knows what and how much she drank before the plane.  She was bombed at her wedding, because she drank several big bottles of champagne.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Yes, I wasn't making fun of his job when I posted "Municipal Wastewater Operator."  It's necessary work.  Someone just asked what he did and I posted it. 

Yes, and I wasn’t making fun of “ garbage man”.  That’s what they were called in my day where I lived.  Years later, they were called “ sanitation workers.”  Plus, what do we call the stuff we throw out everyday?  GARBAGE.  Who takes it away?  A man.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 3

I will say that after seeing Katina on the after party, I do think her hair being draped all over her face is a contributing factor in her not always looking her best shall we say. I maintain that the nose also plays part. But, she looked much better with her hair in braids.

• Love 3

Who takes it away?  A man.

Or a lady.

Municipal Wastewater Operator

I don't think this is the same thing as a garbage man or a sanitation engineer. I'm stuck on the wastewater piece. I think he works at a wastewater treatment plant. From my friend google, "Wastewater treatment plant and system operators remove pollutants from domestic and industrial waste. Used water, also known as wastewater, travels through sewer pipes to treatment plants where it is treated and either returned to streams, rivers, and oceans, or used for irrigation." Evidently it's a fairly in demand job that can pay well and provide a steady career.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

Yeah, I am just listening to the Afterparty story.  That's definitely much better, still gross, but better.

If I remember correctly, wasn’t he talking to the Mother the day after the wedding, when she corrected the name Katina instead of Katrina like he said?  Didn’t the Mother have long red hair?  If so, wasn’t she old?  He had sex with her?  Or someone else’s Mother?

5 hours ago, After7Only said:

I believe Olajuwon and Jephte from the previous Boston season played college football together.  I wouldn't be surprised if Katina who works in HR had some level of college education as well.   

Could be, but Jephte seems heads and tails above Olajuwon in intelligence.  Just my impression.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

If I remember correctly, wasn’t he talking to the Mother the day after the wedding, when she corrected the name Katina instead of Katrina like he said?  Didn’t the Mother have long red hair?  If so, wasn’t she old?  He had sex with her?  Or someone else’s Mother?

No this was way before he got married so it's someone else's mother and her daughter.

Personally I think it's skeevy even if he had sex with them at different times.  And I'm not so sure he's grown up all that much since then despite what he says about himself.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Intuition said:

I saw that on the after party and I find it very hard to believe Alyssa's story about the psychic.  That's a very specific thing and most psychics don't get THAT specific.  They may use more general adjectives about eyes and height but tattoos?  I think she liked Steve and caught a glimpse of his tattoo and then made that story up.  Then she stirred the shit by telling Noi about it.  She's figuratively throwing a tantrum because she didn't get what she wanted and when she saw Noi with someone better in her view and happier with her match, she tried to take her down with her.  Her maturity level is an insult to toddlers.

This show is about four hours long.  Apparently, I missed some parts.  It’s news to me about the fortune teller.  First time I’m hearing about it, but Alyssa doesn’t surprise me at all.

1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

This show is about four hours long.  Apparently, I missed some parts.  It’s news to me about the fortune teller.  First time I’m hearing about it, but Alyssa doesn’t surprise me at all.

The story was told on the After Party, formerly "Unfiltered".  

14 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

From my friend google, "Wastewater treatment plant and system operators remove pollutants from domestic and industrial waste. Used water, also known as wastewater, travels through sewer pipes to treatment plants where it is treated and either returned to streams, rivers, and oceans, or used for irrigation." Evidently it's a fairly in demand job that can pay well and provide a steady career.

This is exactly it.  My son worked at one, and we used to say he worked in a sh*t factory.    Pay was decent, good benefits which included a pension.  He still lived at home when he worked there, and there was never a day he came home smelling like crap.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 2/3/2022 at 10:33 PM, Alexander Pope said:

I should add having read more of the boards, that I didn't realize they had had sex three times that day.  So I get that she is hurt.  But that was still crass and inappropriate.

Lindsey revealed that on the “After Party” with Keisha.  Then, I put it on the board.  The After Party tells lots of things we don’t know about. Keisha gets everything out of them.  It’s the After Party where Lindsey wears the off the shoulder green dress, and is sitting on the right.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 2