Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Tragically Hip

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, T Summer said:
1 hour ago, MCMLXXVII said:

This, exactly. Carrie’s a multimillionaire now, she could have gone ahead and hired a nurse and the girls could still stop by daily. Miranda was wrong and inappropriate, but Carrie’s tone was just…I would have left her in that pee.

How totally selfish - and very Carrie-like - to expect your friends to play nursemaid when you can afford to have someone do it for you. I get that she didn’t want to be alone, but the girls could’ve kept her company without having to take her to the bathroom.

11 hours ago, luna1122 said:

And I'm shallow, but the last thing I want when I'm  at my weakest and most vulnerable is a hot physical therapist, male or female. It shouldn't matter, obviously, but that'd make me feel even worse. Gimme the cuddly looking guy who takes my insurance. 

I was thinking the same.  I was once referred to an absolutely gorgeous, hot, young gastroenterologist. He was a great doctor, but, yeah, I would’ve preferred talking about my, um, digestive problems with someone a little less swoon inducing. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

Supposedly, talks for season 2 have been stalled. They're blaming the Chris Noth situation but I call bull💩 because Big was killed off before that came to light. 

I think (I hope!) that the valid criticism is hard for them, their egos, and the money bags at HBOMax to ignore and that is the real reason season 2 isn't a guarantee. 

That excuse makes no sense because Big is dead. He wasn’t even mentioned once in yesterday’s episode and that’s only halfway through this wretched series reinvention. And we’re supposed to believe that’s the reason talks are stalled and not the tripe that’s on our TV screens every week?

The SATC creators simply took the criticism of the original show (a product of its time as most shows are) and assumed that meant that everyone would be on board with whatever this is trying to be. But they massively overcorrected and in the process, the actual characters have been lost under a progressive template. It doesn’t work and I just don’t believe anything the creators of this show have to say anymore.

• Love 18

Charlotte instigated the Excel spreadsheet caring-for-Carrie thing, so I don't put that on Carrie. Carrie could have hired a nurse, however, for the more intimate needs. The surgery gave the writers a chance to put out there that Carrie's got no man to help her now, but Big would not have been carrying her up the stairs or to the toilet. He'd have hired round-the-clock nurses, stopped by the recovery bedroom to say "Hey, kid, how's it going?", and got on with his life. Also, where's her walker? There's no way a real post-surgery patient would be half-dragged to the bathroom, she would be using a walker as soon as possible, or she would have been assisted in walking by someone (even her friends) trained in the correct way to help her safely get out of bed and across the room. So ridiculous, nonsensical, and unrealistic that they inserted this hip-surgery plot situation and I still don't know why. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 24
11 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Caroline Marie Bradshaw-Preston wakes up from hip surgery in pearls and a cardigan… 🤦🏻‍♀️

37D4AE21-D4B3-4604-83DA-3840936C4B56.jpeg

Dead. She does look like Bunny.  I did wonder why the hospital didn't have a catheter in her at the hospital since she couldn't feel herself peeing.

2 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

This, exactly. Carrie’s a multimillionaire now, she could have gone ahead and hired a nurse and the girls could still stop by daily.

Right?  Why would you have your one friend who is busy with school and has her own shit at home to deal with and another friend who has 2 children and her own shit to deal with go over to take care of you, wash you, change you, take you to the bathroom and NOT hire a nurse!?!??!  Plot contrivance for Miranda to hook up with Che. UGH

• Love 18
26 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

That excuse makes no sense because Big is dead. He wasn’t even mentioned once in yesterday’s episode and that’s only halfway through this wretched series reinvention. And we’re supposed to believe that’s the reason talks are stalled and not the tripe that’s on our TV screens every week?

Chris Noth's troubles do seem to be a convenient excuse for HBO to say no thanks to a second season.  But we the viewers can see with our own eyes why this show most likely will not be getting a second season. But I do wonder if they wrote the last episode with an eye toward another season. But at this point they could literally have a cliffhanger with the women hanging off a cliff and I won't care what  happens to them.  

29 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

The SATC creators simply took the criticism of the original show (a product of its time as most shows are) and assumed that meant that everyone would be on board with whatever this is trying to be. But they massively overcorrected and in the process, the actual characters have been lost under a progressive template. It doesn’t work and I just don’t believe anything the creators of this show have to say anymore.

Yes. It's like the writers read a book called "Progressive Storylines for Once Beloved Comedy Series Reboots for Dummies".

20 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Charlotte instigated the Excel spreadsheet caring-for-Carrie thing, so I don't put that on Carrie. Carrie could have hired a nurse,

This is true and I'm pretty sure Carrie even said if they couldn't be there she would hire people.

20 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

The surgery gave the writers a chance to put out there that Carrie's got no man to help her

I think so too.  And this isn't a criticism of just AJLT.  So many shows and movies continue to show women as being helpless without a man.

23 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

So ridiculous, nonsensical, and unrealistic that they inserted this hip-surgery plot situation and I still don't know why. 

They had to find a way for Miranda and Che to hook up without it looking like they planned to hook up.  Also since Miranda misbehaved in front of Carrie she now believes what Charlotte said about Miranda having a drinking problem.   And as far as that three month time jump I would totally believe it was just so they could show Carrie in those shoes.

5 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Plot contrivance for Miranda to hook up with Che. UGH

Great minds think alike @greekmom

• Love 12

From that article linked above: 

Parker, 56, was particularly upset by the claims against the man who played Carrie Bradshaw’s longtime love interest and eventual husband.

“She is fiercely protective of Carrie Bradshaw and livid that she and everyone else at the show has been put into this position,” an insider recently told Us. “It is not about the money, but rather her legacy. Carrie was all about helping women and now, under her watch, women are saying that they have been hurt.”

On the page before, ifionlyknew mentioned that the lines between Carrie and SJP are a little blurry, and the quote above seems to make that line fuzzier. It’s like the character and the actress are interchangeable, and if this is a real quote, I think that’s weird and a little creepy. I understand it is poorly worded, but still, whose money and legacy are they talking about and who was all about helping women? I figure they’re actually referring to SJP, but it reads like Carrie which almost implies they’re one in the same.

It occurs to me that in a way, the Chris Noth mess is kind of giving them an out. I get the feeling that they’re going to use that as an excuse for tepid fan response and criticism of the show.

Even though I’m not watching, I hope the show isn’t picked up for a second season. I don’t see how they could rescue the mess they’ve made of the franchise and another season would only make SJP and MPK think that they’re really onto something. This thing just needs to go away for good; let HBO pour money into something worth watching and let the actors try to salvage their legacies with something different.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Trillian said:

How totally selfish - and very Carrie-like - to expect your friends to play nursemaid when you can afford to have someone do it for you.

In fairness to Carrie, Charlotte was the one who presented everyone with schedules, etc. of when they would be over to help Carrie.  Carrie didn't ask for any of that, or demand the girls and Anthony help her on a daily basis. 

21 minutes ago, Maysie said:

I get the feeling that they’re going to use that as an excuse for tepid fan response and criticism of the show.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is the show is doing very well for HBO Max.   

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

In fairness to Carrie, Charlotte was the one who presented everyone with schedules, etc. of when they would be over to help Carrie.  Carrie didn't ask for any of that, or demand the girls and Anthony help her on a daily basis. 

Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but when Charlotte presented the spreadsheet, it appeared that it had already been discussed and decided on.  Even if not, when Anthony said “I’m not changing your bedpans”, she could’ve so easily said “Absolutely not.  I’m  getting a nurse for that.  I just want you all for company”.  Instead, she says that Anthony isn’t going anywhere near her pee - but I guess that’s ok for Charlotte and Miranda. 

There’s nothing degrading or wrong about helping a friend in need, it’s just that Carrie wasn’t really in need of her friends when she could so easily afford a professional.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Finger banging your coworker/employee's married drunk friend in their kitchen while she's recovering from surgery is so many kinds of creepy and inappropriate

Add Miranda's orgasmic face and noises and you have creepy and inappropriate x10. I wonder how may takes they had to do to get that scene right. 

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but when Charlotte presented the spreadsheet, it appeared that it had already been discussed and decided on.  Even if not, when Anthony said “I’m not changing your bedpans”, she could’ve so easily said “Absolutely not.  I’m  getting a nurse for that.  I just want you all for company”.  Instead, she says that Anthony isn’t going anywhere near her pee - but I guess that’s ok for Charlotte and Miranda. 

I presume Carrie did have an aide or nurse for her at some points during the day given Charlotte, Miranda and Anthony did not appear to be spending the night and have other responsibilities during the day they would need to attend to.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Add Miranda's orgasmic face and noises and you have creepy and inappropriate x10. I wonder how may takes they had to do to get that scene right. 

Ugh, Miranda's orgasm...grunts! So not hot. 

I'm confused about Carrie’s apartment. In the movies, it got quite a makover: turquoise walls, a new gallery wall of art above Carrie’s bed, some new furniture. 

But now the walls are mostly ecru again, the shelves are back above the bed, sge even has the old bench at the end of the bed, tho it was recovered in a diff fabric in the films. And it was very decorated, lots of art and pillows, but now its sparse. I get nobody has actually been living there for years, but it was sometimes used by Carrie and friends. Why go to the trouble of de-volving the place with boring beige paint and removing all the actual decor? 

Also, from the preview: it looks like she's still looking for a new apartment? Will she actually ever sell the brownstone? 

Also in the preview: yummy Jonathan Groff. New love interest for Anthony? 

Also, one thing that made me laugh in this episode: Carrie "Boop boop"-ing the muscle guy carrying her upstairs with her half eaten baguette. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

For my money, the best scene in the entire series is the laundry room scene in the episode "One" in season 6 when Miranda  and Steve decide to get back together. She and David acted the hell out of that little moment. Cynthia really has the instincts not just to act both comedy and drama, but to blend them when the moment calls for it. Her instincts were always impeccable.

Agree, that's one of the best episodes of the series, and Carrie and Charlotte have great storylines in that one too.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Trillian said:

And I'm shallow, but the last thing I want when I'm  at my weakest and most vulnerable is a hot physical therapist, male or female. It shouldn't matter, obviously, but that'd make me feel even worse. Gimme the cuddly looking guy who takes my insurance. 

Yes, ALL of this. Especially "Gimme the cuddly looking guy who takes my insurance". These words are art.

• Love 6

And I'm done.

I'm trying to find a single redeeming quality for this show and failing at every turn. There is nothing engaging or interesting about this and it's painful to watch characters that I enjoyed being torn down and made into caricatures that I don't recognize anymore. It's one thing to show a character evolving and deciding that a relationship that had made them happy in the past no longer does and it's another to completely rewrite a character's history in order to fit a new narrative that they want to play with.

Yes, I'm talking about Miranda. Or more, Cynthia Nixon because this is not Miranda Hobbs. If they want to have her explore bi (or pan) sexuality at her stage in life, that's fine. Boring and done before, but fine. And it's fine for them to show that she and her husband have drifted apart and that she no longer wants to be married. But to try to paint this that she never loved Steve at all? Do they think that none of us watched SITC or the movies? Do they think that we're going to forget how her relationship with Steve evolved, had it's highs and lows and open statements of love for one another. That even though they were very different people and her pregnancy was accidental, they built a sincere and genuine relationship. Now we're being told to ignore all that because she never loved him and she hated her life and...

Miranda, you don't need to get fingered in Carrie's kitchen while she pees the bed (I'll get into that in a minute). You need to get your son's ho out of your house. You need to get into counseling and figure out what you want in life. And if it means ending your marriage, then at least have it make some kind of sense! This is just being insulting to the audience.

And it shows a real weakness of the writing. Steve is just an accessory in Miranda's life. She's going to discard him like an out of season handbag for the new flashy thing that caught her interest. He has no agency or POV. He barely exists except to be an obstacle to what she now wants in life. I feel badly for the actor because I wonder if he would have agreed to revisit the show if he knew that his character would be treated like this.

As for Carrie... I just don't care. It would have been mildly more interesting to see her actually deal with the health effects of being in her 50s (and joint problems are almost inevitable). But to see her bouncing back to her Jimmy Choos had me shrugging. I long since gave up on my high heels for daily wear because they are one of the things that I handled fine in my 30s that I can't any more.

Do I even care about Charlotte? No. Do I care about any of these characters? No. The one thing that I'm taking away from this is that Kim is an astonishingly wise woman and dodged a major bullet. I don't think there is anything that can salvage this mess.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Useful 1
  • Love 21

What happened with Darren Star?  He worked on SATC the original series and the movies.  Did he and MPK have a falling out?  I know he does Younger and Emily in Paris now but why couldn't he help with this?

MPK is obviously SJP's champion, so was Darren Star Kim Cattrall's?  

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/sex-and-the-city-creator-darren-star-glad-isnt-revival-series-1-reason.html/

https://www.thelist.com/281742/the-untold-truth-of-sex-and-the-city/

Darren Star created "Sex and the City," but by the end of the series, he was no longer involved in creating the plot lines or scripts. As he revealed to Kindle Singles (via Vogue), he tried to give the team of writers free rein, saying, "If you're empowering other people to write and produce your show, at a certain point, you've got to let them follow their vision." As a reminder, in the final episodes of the series, Carrie ended up in a happily-ever-after scenario with Mr. Big, which made for one of the most romantic TV scenes. However, Star wasn't pleased. "I think the show ultimately betrayed what it was about, which was that women don't ultimately find happiness from marriage," Star confessed.

However, it turns out that the cast wasn't comfortable with this lack of diversity. When a Black actor was finally cast as a romantic lead in 2003, Cynthia Nixon, who played Miranda, revealed to CBS News, "We all of us, and no one more than Sarah Jessica, had lobbied for this for a long, long time." She went on to explain that initially creators Darren Star and Candace Bushnell had written the show to reflect the circles they moved in — which were largely white. But for Nixon, this wasn't a good excuse. "It is six years later now, and I think it's irresponsible," she stated.

Read More: https://www.thelist.com/281742/the-untold-truth-of-sex-and-the-city/?utm_campaign=clip

1 hour ago, Toodleoo said:

Since around season 2 of SATC, I have thought SJP was playing herself in the role of Carrie. Particularly with the “cutesy” shrieks and other wacky affectations.

I'm sorry, but as a stan of S2 can I contribute that the shrieking started in S3??   I remember they went to LA and Sam took Carrie to this place to buy fake Fendis and there were dogs, and Carrie started shrieking.  I don't remember that happening in S2.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Miranda’s rant “I’m unhappy, I’m unhappy, I’m trapped. I hate my marriage. I hate it. I hate my life. I hate it. Since when? Since forever. (That’s not true) It feels like it is … (why didn’t you say something) what would I say? that I don’t wanna be this person anymore? That I wanna be something more. That this isn’t enough!” (That’s exactly what you should say.) well Then I said it…

Then she segways into I’m not a drunk and how it’s just pandemic drinking carrying over and finally they get back to the fact she just cheated on her husband like it’s no big deal….

(and what about that other activity in the kitchen?) “I don’t know if I want to quit that. I never felt like that.  In my life’

So instead of talking to Steve about any of this she cheats and is gonna justify in her head that it’s ok lol you just cheated on your husband and admitted you don’t wanna stop  you are an asshole in this for not immediately telling him all of this and acting like cheating is ok  

This whole rant was and is just ridiculous… 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What happened with Darren Star?  He worked on SATC the original series and the movies.  Did he and MPK have a falling out? 

It's not uncommon for a show's creator to move on from the property to other things.  Darren Star did it multiple times, including with 90210 and Melrose Place.    

3 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

So instead of talking to Steve about any of this she cheats and is gonna justify in her head that it’s ok lol

I tend to think these kinds of situations often aren't so black and white.  Perhaps as the show continues, we'll be given more insight into she and Steve's problems.

• Love 6

2 hours ago, Maysie said:

Parker, 56, was particularly upset by the claims against the man who played Carrie Bradshaw’s longtime love interest and eventual husband.

“She is fiercely protective of Carrie Bradshaw and livid that she and everyone else at the show has been put into this position,” an insider recently told Us. “It is not about the money, but rather her legacy. Carrie was all about helping women and now, under her watch, women are saying that they have been hurt.”

On the page before, ifionlyknew mentioned that the lines between Carrie and SJP are a little blurry, and the quote above seems to make that line fuzzier. It’s like the character and the actress are interchangeable,...

It's almost as if BIG was the one who has been accused of abusing women, another blurring of the lines between character and actor. It's weird -- as if after Big died, several women came forward with accusations against him and Carrie now has to deal with it. Actually, that would have made for a much better (and more realistic) story line for this show.

Carrie was all about helping women? Does this mean we're going to see her involvement in the charity world in the next episodes, maybe making a huge donation to a domestic violence shelter or something? Otherwise, I'm not aware of Carrie helping women other than her closest friends and her assistant. She only went to the women in publishing luncheon to be seen by Natasha, basically a jealous, mean girl move. She even said she never went to those things, meaning she didn't participate in professional organizations that help other women in her field.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

So instead of talking to Steve about any of this she cheats and is gonna justify in her head that it’s ok lol

This really rubbed me the wrong way because it feels very much like how my best friend's marriage ended. On her 19th anniversary, her husband told her that he didn't love her, never loved her and wasn't willing to go to counseling because he had already decided that he wanted out and nothing would change his mind, Do people get married when they don't really love the other person? Sure? Was that what happened here? No, because we saw a fuckton of Miranda's POV where she navigated her relationship with Steve. She had already accepted being a single mother and had no worries about raising her son by herself. She married Steve because she loved him. 

Retconning a character's history to justify a new storyline is just evidence of shitty writing. Or catering to CN who wanted to basically transform her character into herself. 

• Love 13
20 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Miranda’s rant “I’m unhappy, I’m unhappy, I’m trapped. I hate my marriage. I hate it. I hate my life. I hate it. Since when? Since forever. (That’s not true) It feels like it is … (why didn’t you say anything) what would I say? that I don’t wanna be this person anymore? That I wanna be something more. That this isn’t enough!” (That’s exactly what you tell someone) “well I’m telling you” 

(and what about that other activity in the kitchen?) “I don’t know if I want to quit that. I never felt like that.  In my life’

So instead of talking to Steve about any of this she cheats and is gonna justify in her head that it’s ok lol you just cheated on your husband and admitted you don’t wanna stop  you are an asshole in this for not immediately telling him all of this and acting like cheating is ok  

This whole rant was and is just ridiculous… 

I will say that "Since forever. Well, it feels like it..." gives the show an out to now have Miranda and Steve actually talk about what's happened with their relationship. I can buy that Miranda feels like it's been forever, but no, it simply has not been forever. If the show goes that way, I'll join the chorus of those truly angry over the retcon of the long Steve-Miranda arc. And yeah, if somehow Miranda now justifies cheating when she threw Steve out and slammed the door on any discussion after his one incident, which he tearfully confessed to and apologized for, then I'm so totally over these writers!

ETA: I'm so annoyed by this, and yet I never bought that Miranda loved Steve in the way you should love someone you marry. I actually thought her whole story with Steve was wrong for her, especially the move to Brooklyn and becoming a "family woman" lifestyle. She was contorting herself, I felt. But the show and movies wanted me to see it as love and growth of Miranda as a person so I went with it. Now they're apparently yanking that away and I'm pissed. (Pissed is such a good word for this episode!)

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

When you look at SJP’s roles before SATC, she played a wide variety of characters, none of them like Carrie. Since SATC, all of her characters are Carrie-like in some way.

I think the opposite.  SJP played the hot young thing in Honeymoon in Vegas, The First Wives Club, and Til There Was You.  After SATC she's played a lot more different roles.  The first one that comes to mind is The Family Stone.  She is nothing like Carrie in that one.  Also the show "Divorce".  SJP who minded sex scenes and profanity suddenly loved it in the show "Divorce".

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I will say that "Since forever. Well, it feels like it..." gives the show an out to now have Miranda and Steve actually talk about what's happened with their relationship. I can buy that Miranda feels like it's been forever, but no, it simply has not been forever. If the show goes that way, I'll join the chorus of those truly angry over the retcon of the long Steve-Miranda arc. And yeah, if somehow Miranda now justifies cheating when she threw Steve out and slammed the door on any discussion after his one incident, which he tearfully confessed to and apologized for, then I'm so totally over these writers!

Well the flashforward of 3 months at the end doesn’t bode well that she told him anything at all … they are really just crapping all over Miranda here 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

tend to think these kinds of situations often aren't so black and white.  Perhaps as the show continues, we'll be given more insight into she and Steve's problems

But I don’t think we will. The show has clearly made up its mind in how the storyline will progress. Steve, if even given a POV will just be used to further “justify” Miranda cheating. It’s just so fucking lazy.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

It's not uncommon for a show's creator to move on from the property to other things.  Darren Star did it multiple times, including with 90210 and Melrose Place.    

I tend to think these kinds of situations often aren't so black and white.  Perhaps as the show continues, we'll be given more insight into she and Steve's problems.

In what world is cheating ever justified? Leave him if you arnt happy .. she was cheated on she knows this first hand. 

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

But I don’t think we will. The show has clearly made up its mind in how the storyline will progress. Steve, if even given a POV will just be used to further “justify” Miranda cheating. It’s just so fucking lazy.

There's not enough time, there's no way they're going to give Steve a POV.

• Love 3
On 12/30/2021 at 5:05 AM, ruby24 said:

Okay, so..Miranda just IS Cynthia Nixon now. Great.

I was just thinking this, and I am remembering how the writer Michael K (Dlisted) calls Cynthia's real-life wife Rojo Caliente!  I always got a kick out of that.  Does anyone else remember this?

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

ETA: I'm so annoyed by this, and yet I never bought that Miranda loved Steve in the way you should love someone you marry. I actually thought her whole story with Steve was wrong for her, especially the move to Brooklyn and becoming a "family woman" lifestyle. She was contorting herself, I felt. But the show and movies wanted me to see it as love and growth of Miranda as a person so I went with it. Now they're apparently yanking that away and I'm pissed. (Pissed is such a good word for this episode!)

This is me too.  I never bought them as a long term couple but the show insisted they were so I accepted it. And now they want to say Miranda never wanted the life she ended up with.  Well duh.  I knew that 20 yrs ago but you didn't listen to me.  You don't get to change things now because Miranda's portrayer has a different life and expect viewers to just be ok with it. Yes women sometimes later in life realize they aren't what they thought they were regarding sexual identity but they don't disavow the life they had led up to that point. If Miranda spent time with her professor and they grew close and she realized her and Steve were no longer feeling like husband and wife and she wanted to explore a relationship with the professor that is a story I would have said yes to.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

My point is I think the show is suffering for not consulting Darren Star and Candace Bushnell for the writing.  They are flying by the seat of the pants with only MPK and it's not going well.  If Darren and Candace were really anti diversity that's really sad.  Hard for me to believe with Candace.  I haven't read the book in a while but I wonder if she mentioned race at all so her characters could have easily been race bent.  A bit easier for me to believe with Darren looking at all of the white faces that star on his shows.  But, in terms of other things, they really could have helped and it would have been worth getting their point of view considering how hard these producers/writers think bringing SATC into 2021 would be.

They are looking at 2021 as this incredible unsurmountable mountain and they are overcorrecting as a result.  They are trying way too hard.  They are not letting any of the good things about the original series sing.  Unfortunately that includes Kim but nothing they can do about that.  There were good things about Carrie, Charlotte, and Miranda too but they've all but forgotten all of that and destroyed all of that now.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, violet and green said:

SJP looked just like Bunny MacDougal when she was in the foyer waiting to be admitted for her hip operation!

OMG She Did!!! 

I was trying to figure out why SJP looked familiar. 

• LOL 3

I saw Cynthia Nixon in both her Tony-winning performances (Rabbit Hole and The Little Foxes).  She is a great actress.  But I agree that she seemed off in her big scene here, possibly because she's not playing a consistent, convincing character.

I guess they're trying to show that Seema is a take-charge person, but she basically steamrolled over her cousin and his office to get Carrie an urgent appointment for something that wasn't urgent.  And I thought her cousin's "Yes, I'm fine, thanks for asking" response to Seema's non-greeting of him and her non-acknowledgement that he did her a favor to be quite telling.  Rather than thanking him, she gave him a hard time because it had been thirty minutes since the x-rays were taken?  Who cares that he had to consult another doctor about them, and Carrie didn't really have an appointment in the first place?

I don't see how Seema and Carrie will become close friends because they both want to have the central focus be on them.  They both can't get that at the same time.

• Love 7

As much as I 100% agree with you all on how poorly so much of AJLT is written, I still can't stop watching. I love these characters too much, and I WILL watch another season if we get one. 

Even though I hate how they're writing Miranda, we've all seen people who seem to have everything-health, a nice lifestyle, a family, good friends, and they're still unhappy. Their marriages aren't fulfilling. They feel trapped. I haven't been in those shoes, but Ive seen it many times. I don't know if it's falling out of love, getting bored, a combination or what. But just like Steve was wrong in the movie, you don't just go and cheat. Talk to your partner. Get therapy. Leave the marriage. Steve isn't a scary guy who's hard to talk to. Miranda doesn't need him for money. Brady is young and has issues but isn't a baby. She's not helping to take care of Steve's mother. I don't see why she won't just leave. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, mikem said:

I saw Cynthia Nixon in both her Tony-winning performances (Rabbit Hole and The Little Foxes).  She is a great actress.  But I agree that she seemed off in her big scene here, possibly because she's not playing a consistent, convincing character.

I guess they're trying to show that Seema is a take-charge person, but she basically steamrolled over her cousin and his office to get Carrie an urgent appointment for something that wasn't urgent.  And I thought her cousin's "Yes, I'm fine, thanks for asking" response to Seema's non-greeting of him and her non-acknowledgement that he did her a favor to be quite telling.  Rather than thanking him, she gave him a hard time because it had been thirty minutes since the x-rays were taken?  Who cares that he had to consult another doctor about them, and Carrie didn't really have an appointment in the first place?

I don't see how Seema and Carrie will become close friends because they both want to have the central focus be on them.  They both can't get that at the same time.

Yes, everyone is RAVING about Seema based on her 10 minutes of screentime and I just don't get it at all.  Not my type of person I guess!  I do like Sarita Choudhury in other projects though.

• Love 5

In thinking about all of this, the main reason I loved SATC so much is that it was relatable for me. Not their lifestyles or careers, but that they made it feel acceptable to be dating and having sex into ones 30s without real judgment.  I myself was doing the same and the show made me feel seen and accepted. 

With AJLT none of it is relatable...none. I'm 52, not much younger than the 3 remaining OG characters, and there's nothing in their lives I can relate to. I'm not a wealthy widow...I'm not suddenly questioning my marriage and sexuality (I'm sorry, I refuse to believe that one can suddenly have a sexual awakening at age 55)...and I'm not a wealthy wife with a non-binary (?) child. They've gone too far to the extreme to be relatable to the average viewer. This, above all the retcons and character assassinations, is why the show is failing for me. They've taken once-somewhat-relatable characters and made them completely unrelatable. 

I hadn't planned to watch until we got a free HBO Max promo, and after this week, I don't know that I will again. They've already ruined SATC for me, and that's not nothing.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

In thinking about all of this, the main reason I loved SATC so much is that it was relatable for me. Not their lifestyles or careers, but that they made it feel acceptable to be dating and having sex into ones 30s without real judgment.  I myself was doing the same and the show made me feel seen and accepted. 

With AJLT none of it is relatable...none. I'm 52, not much younger than the 3 remaining OG characters, and there's nothing in their lives I can relate to. I'm not a wealthy widow...I'm not suddenly questioning my marriage and sexuality (I'm sorry, I refuse to believe that one can suddenly have a sexual awakening at age 55)...and I'm not a wealthy wife with a non-binary (?) child. They've gone too far to the extreme to be relatable to the average viewer. This, above all the retcons and character assassinations, is why the show is failing for me. They've taken once-somewhat-relatable characters and made them completely unrelatable. 

I hadn't planned to watch until we got a free HBO Max promo, and after this week, I don't know that I will again. They've already ruined SATC for me, and that's not nothing.

YES! SATC was kind of groundbreaking for that actually. I'll always appreciate it as a single, childfree 30-something woman. I was very young when the show first came out, so I appreciate it so much more in my 30s.

I don't get it either! I'm all for people being their authentic selves, but everyone I know who's not straight knew from a pretty young age. And it's not like Miranda was a sheltered woman or didn't date around and have sex. She had sex with a good number of men and even kissed a woman before. Miranda questioning her sexuality at her age doesn't come across organic unless it's something she always did but kept to herself. That is something I can understand.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm sorry, but as a stan of S2 can I contribute that the shrieking started in S3??   I remember they went to LA and Sam took Carrie to this place to buy fake Fendis and there were dogs, and Carrie started shrieking.  I don't remember that happening in S2.

I was speaking in general about SJP being Carrie regardless of when the shrieks started but ok you sure showed me?

• LOL 1
5 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm all for people being their authentic selves, but everyone I know who's not straight knew from a pretty young age.

Did Cynthia Nixon know that she wasn't straight when she was a pretty young age?  And what about Meredith Baxter?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

And it's not like Miranda was a sheltered woman or didn't date around and have sex. She had sex with a good number of men and even kissed a woman before. Miranda questioning her sexuality at her age doesn't come across organic unless it's something she always did but kept to herself. That is something I can understand.  

I think that's why some of the die hard fans are pissed off.  Carrie, Samantha, and Miranda kind of explored this a bit in the first series.  They're writing the new series as if the first one didn't happen.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
16 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

My favorite moment in this episode was when Miranda asked Che, “are you always this funny?”  And my thought was “they’re actually not funny at all.

This. Che is so completely unfunny.  The more Miranda loses her mind laughing or Carrie says how funny Che is, the more I dislike Che. Not Funny and Not interesting.  As  someone else said as soon as Che enters a scene I roll my eyes. 

I hate that stupid podcast. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 14

Miranda was acting like a smitten teenager about Che--ugh the Miranda I remember would've spent more time questioning this attraction. I love an awakening story-- this one doesn't feel genuine/authentic. I'm not a huge fan of these writers so I blame them.

I miss Samantha but I can understand the characters absence if they were such close friends that she removed Carrie's diaphragm, there's no way she'd would abandon her, unless... Carrie dismissed her when it was suggested our other friend was struggling or flipped from friend seeking sympathy to The Client, when she didn't get the response she wanted.

So what's "woke"? I just want to get some context... it seems to have a different meaning here than on Twitter.

I really feel for Harry and Charlotte. They seem like great parents who must adhere to rules that were put in place because of shitty ones. I think Charlotte and Harry together, should have a heart to heart or Tik Tok to Tik Tok with Rock lol. The school's responsibility is to the welfare of the child.  Abuse isn't limited by social status or religious affiliation--school has to be a safe and supportive environment in case home isn't. 

The difference between men ogling women and women ogling men is one situation has the potential for violence (or death) the other...not so much. 

Edited by Adgirl
Clarity
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Cozytea said:

This. Che is so completely unfunny.  The more Miranda loses her mind laughing or Carrie says how funny Che is, the more I dislike Che. Not Funny and Not interesting.  As  someone else said as soon as Che enters a scene I roll my eyes. 

I hate that stupid podcast. 

Me too! When it showed Miranda listening and laughing at Che’s completely unfunny quips, I rolled my eyes in disgust. I don’t like it when a show insults my intelligence to this degree,

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, Adgirl said:

The difference between men ogling women and women ogling men is one situation has the potential for violence (or death) the other...not so much.

Both situations incredibly disrespectful and belittling. So wrong for men and women to do.

• Love 7

I think it's normal to find people attractive whether they're on the job or not.  So far, she hasn't done anything disrespectful.

The SHOW was pretty disrespectful to the guy who was covered by insurance - I get that.  That felt like old 80s 90s humour.  

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Adgirl said:

Miranda was acting like a smitten teenager about Che--ugh the Miranda I remember would've spent more time questioning this attraction. I love an awakening story-- this one doesn't feel genuine/authentic. I'm not a huge fan of these writers so I blame them.

I miss Samantha but I can understand the characters absence if they were such close friends that she removed Carrie's diaphragm, there's no way she'd would abandon her, unless... Carrie dismissed her when it was suggested our other friend was struggling or flipped from friend seeking sympathy to The Client, when she didn't get the response she wanted.

So what's "woke"? I just want to get some context... it seems to have a different meaning here than on Twitter.

I really feel for Harry and Charlotte. They seem like great parents who must adhere to rules that were put in place because of shitty ones. I think Charlotte and Harry together, should have a heart to heart or Tik Tok to Tik Tok with Rock lol. The school's responsibility is to the welfare of the child.  Abuse isn't limited by social status or religious affiliation--school has to be a safe and supportive environment in case home isn't. 

There's woke and there's WOKE.  True woke is respect and inclusion of others.  The kind of WOKE we see on the show is very in-your-face lecturing and pushing of identities.  Unfortunately, we get more of THAT, not only from media, but also from diversity and inclusion teams at workplaces and other committees.  I'm not the only person who has started to avoid them because they're offensive (especially to me as someone who is a child of immigrants from Asia) and the over-victimization is just disgusting.   

• Love 10

On a rewatch... I'm a marijuana loving gal but seriously how fucking rude for Che to light up in Carrie's apartment without permission! I don't use flower anymore but back when I did I would ask permission even to light up on the porch. Not everyone partakes. Be considerate.

• Love 14