Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: French Revolution

• Start Topic

Very interesting with Sylvie quitting the company and also convincing all the employees to go with her. I wonder if that is something she could acually do ~ legally ~? But it's obvious Emily will go to work for Sylvie's company too next season. The showrunners must have been pretty damn sure they are getting a third season with that ending.

I don't really like that we finished the Gabrielle romance plot in the same place where it began, but that would be my only critique of the season. Otherwise it was really good and enjoyable. And a very logical continuation of season 1.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Miss Slay said:

Gabriel is annoying me - he is textbook stringing Camille along. 

I hate the whole Gabiel thing.  Hate it.  The show fixed some problems from last season (although it created new ones) but it kept the lump of nothing that is Gabriel.  He's not rootable with anyone,  

8 hours ago, Harvey said:

I wonder if that is something she could acually do ~ legally ~?

Quit the company and take other employees?  Probably.  But take the clients?  I don't know about that,  

• Love 5

When Madeline was talking about hiring young, cheap employees she could “mold” I wanted to barf. I recently retired a little early from a very large company that’s been pursuing that strategy for several years now and it ain’t working out well. There’s been a “brain drain” of us older people that’s resulted in a lot of negative headlines over the past few years. (But hey, short-term stock price!!! /s) So yeah, lots of luck, Madeline.

Now, I’ve never been a manager much less an executive. But I have to call BS on Madeline’s Ugly American behavior. My husband did a lot of international travel and the company would not send anyone to another country unaware of the business etiquette there because it would obviously reflect badly on the company. Someone at Madeline’s level definitely should not have needed to be told the French don’t discuss business at a party, for example.

I also couldn’t help thinking “You idiot. Sylvie’s had long-standing business relationships with most of the clients. Do you seriously think none of them will follow her elsewhere?” So that was no surprise. The only surprise was asking Emily to come with them too. I also wondered if she was going to buy Savoir from Emily’s company, but apparently not. Wonder what they’ll name the new agency?

P.S. Count me on Team Camille. I do enjoy the show, but I just find myself disliking Emily more and more. And Gabriel as written doesn’t have much in the way of a personality so it’s hard to see him as this Great Love.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

She did the pact on purpose I’m pretty sure. She had a whole plan and her mom told her to just do what she says.

I don’t like Gabriel at all. I am not buying him and Emily as this great love. I don’t see a lot of chemistry. The show would be better if he just fucked off lol. Alfie is hot but I don’t know if I buy him and Emily together either.

I knew Sylvie had some plan. Madeleine was so annoying tho it was almost too much. Would a professional really act like that. She was always shoving food in her mouth and spilling on herself and just being obnoxious. Bleh.

Too much Mindy singing throughout the season. I started FF a lot of her singing scenes.

Edited by Marley
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

So did Camille "forget" about the no-Gabriel pact or she did it to Emily on purpose? 

I don't think the show made that clear.  In the episode where the pact was made, we saw the mom pull Camille aside.  But in the subsequent episodes, I don't think Camille herself did anything seductive or outright more engaging with him that would suggest manipulation.  

Maybe we'll find out but Camille broke it and Emily was going to too after lying to Camille at the beginning of the season.  Because this is what Emily claimed to want, even if she was lying. So I don't care if it was planned or not,

• Love 5

Well the mom did the whole thing at their house too making it seem like the dads injury was worse off when she kind of lied to Gabriel on the phone so he would come to the house and then spend time with Camille.

Why either then wants Gabriel so bad is lost on me. He seems like a dud. I wish they had cast a really charming hot French guy and it would make all this much more interesting to watch. Seems like Gabriel just doesn’t want to be alone. There’s nothing engaging or romantic about him even tho the show keeps trying to tell me that.

Also Camille’s family champagne is supposed to suck right? There was a few comments about how it was garbage champagne basically.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Marley said:

Also Camille’s family champagne is supposed to suck right? There was a few comments about how it was garbage champagne basically.

Spray it, don’t sip it. Yep, crap-ay.

eta: Which, wtf? 

Edited by buttersister
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 12/25/2021 at 6:24 PM, Snow Fairy said:

So did Camille "forget" about the no-Gabriel pact or she did it to Emily on purpose? 

I don't think Camille had any intention of keeping the pact. She was just waiting till she could get him back. And since Emily went to Gabriel's to break the pact (she was going to right?) I guess it's only fitting that Camille got there first.

On 12/26/2021 at 8:52 AM, Marley said:

Too much Mindy singing throughout the season. I started FF a lot of her singing scenes.

With very few exceptions I loathe characters singing during TV shows.  I like Mindy but I can really do without  hearing her sing.

I knew Sylvie had some plan. Madeleine was so annoying tho it was almost too much. Would a professional really act like that. She was always shoving food in her mouth and spilling on herself and just being obnoxious. Bleh.

As someone who loves Kate Walsh in everything she does her character here was just awful.  And as someone who was that pregnant should she have even flown to Paris?

With all that being said I enjoyed Darren Star's show so much more than Michael Patrick King's current show.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

As someone who loves Kate Walsh in everything she does her character here was just awful.  And as someone who was that pregnant should she have even flown to Paris?

I know it can be different for everybody, but they made her look like she was ready to have the baby right then rather than at 6 months like she was supposed to be when flying wouldn't be an issue yet.

My problem with Madeleine was they made it so easy for Emily to pick between the two jobs that they had to bring back the forced Gabriel triangle to make it so Emily had to even think about it.

Edited by Nellise
  • Love 3

Well, thank the gods I won't have to listen to another episode of Mindy singing. I loved her in the first series as the older-sister-meets-tour-guide-meets-sounding-board, and I also was interested in her relationship with her father. Then that went absolutely nowhere and this series turned into the damn Mindy Caterwauling Cabaret. I got through this series much faster via the FF button thanks to her breaking into song at least once per episode. Thanks, Mindy. 🙄

Speaking of fathers, why does Emily speak well of her family (the few times she brings them up) but NEVER talks to or interacts with them? No phone calls or FaceTime or Skype? No Mother's Day or birthdays? Nothing. She also never had any girlfriends contact her from the States that we saw, and she certainly never talked about friends or colleagues back home. I'd stay in Paris if I had that kind of life in the U.S., too.

Camille talked about Emily being an 'illiterate sociopath,' but it looks like it takes one to know one. At least hair & makeup decided to comb Camille's hair in the last few episodes. Good lordt, I'd run someone over in the parking lot if they kept making me look that bad for the majority of two entire series. And her acting sweet as pie while embracing Emily to let her know she's moving in with Gabriel was beyond the pale, even though Emily acted like she wanted them back together (outwardly). I hope in series 3, Emily sics Sylvie on Camille.

Edited by lightninggirl
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

I, too, am concerned about a pregnant woman in her 50s flying in what is clearly her third trimester. There is so much to handwave in his show (hello Mindy who is supposed to be Chinese but is clearly American) but this takes it to the absurd.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

There is so much to handwave in his show (hello Mindy who is supposed to be Chinese but is clearly American)

I love how they take an American actress of Korean descent, make her Chinese and then just have her throw in "oh and my mom is Korean" a few times like it doesn't matter. Asians have enough issues with representation in Hollywood, so you'd think they'd at least try to get it right. 🙄 Nope!

• Love 1
On 12/26/2021 at 1:00 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Maybe we'll find out but Camille broke it and Emily was going to too after lying to Camille at the beginning of the season.  Because this is what Emily claimed to want, even if she was lying. So I don't care if it was planned or not,

Heh, this is a very good point!  Mindy with the good advice in this episode, though: yes, it was a "manipulative pinky swear" and Emily needs to be clear about what she wants.  The only reason Camille was able to play Emily was because Emily keeps trying to play selfless nice girl and lies about what she really wants ... until she snaps and throws herself at Gabriel at the end of each season.

I feel like such a dummy for not figuring out sooner Sylvie was selling her interest in the restaurant to Laurent!!   I loved how smooth Sylvie was in taking all the employees with her and calmly quitting.  When they all left the fashion show early together -- heh, so damn cold.   

Julien had the best line of the season --  Luc: Emily is the best!  Julien: She's alright, calm down.  LMAO.  

Madeline needs to hire a lawyer tout-suite who understands French law on employment, contract law, and non-competition .... because she thinks she knows what she's doing but I'll bet she really, really does not.   When Madeline was dismissive about the pronunciation of "Cannes" ... well, I just knew the show was purposely shifting her to unlikeable status LOL.  I'm thinking / hoping next season Emily chooses Sylvie and is constantly crossing paths with/competing for clients with Madeline.  ('Cause apparently Madeline is just having that baby in Paris now).

Last wardrobe critique of the season: Emily's neon pink boots and giant yellow neon taffeta coat  ... thing (over two mismatched patterns, naturellement!) --- LOLOLOL I'm dying.  Never change, Em.  Her red fashion show dress was ridiculous but I kinda liked her elaborate hair and the heart necklace.  The last outfit, with the light pink over the pink patterned dress ... cute!  So of course she ruined it with a teal patterned coat that made zero sense.

I liked Mindy's singing dress, and didn't even mind the neon pink and black tube dress (lose the gloves, hat, and Barbie pink shoes though!) ... but those acid washed pink jean shorts -- no no no no no and quelle horreur!  Finally:  that fashion show was an atrocity.  That was a song and dance number in fake costume hoop skirts, not a fashion show with actual clothes.  W in the actual F.  

Julien was rocking that pink suit.  Oh, and wardrobe got one last shot at Camille - that black blouse was hideous. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

That was a song and dance number in fake costume hoop skirts, not a fashion show with actual clothes.  

It was a fashion show for Gregory's new line of shapewear, easily seen through the hoop skirts.  They deliberately included women of all body shapes; I thought it was kind of fun.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, CatWarmer said:

It was a fashion show for Gregory's new line of shapewear, easily seen through the hoop skirts.  They deliberately included women of all body shapes; I thought it was kind of fun.  

Oops, I totally missed that it was a line of  undergarments!  Now I feel silly!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Madeline needs to hire a lawyer tout-suite who understands French law on employment, contract law, and non-competition .... because she thinks she knows what she's doing but I'll bet she really, really does not.

Are we sure?  I think the show wants us to believe she doesn't and that Sylvie knows best but this is also a show about France and the French culture that doesn't seem to know much about those subjects.  They need your advice as much as, if not more than, Madeleine does.

The whole Madeleine thing doesn't make sense.  The reason Emily is here is because Madeleine got pregnant but if she's willing to travel at 6 months, there's no reason why she couldn't have come over at the point of purchase to set things up the way she wanted them.

• Love 9

I found both Emily and the show much less annoying in the second season, so I'm pleased. I'd actually look forward to watching a third season, whereas after the first it took quarantine and extreme boredom to get me to try the second. Emily was much less "look how cute I am" in her demeanor this season and other characters reacted to her more normally rather than instantly finding her adorable and brilliant at everything. Humbling her a bit made the show much more bearable for me as I found her completely obnoxious in the first season (my reaction to Emily in S1 was basically the same as Sylvie's).

I also like that it felt like we got more of the other characters this season, especially Sylvie. I wish the show was entirely about Sylvie and her job and her romantic life because I love her and find her fascinating. The actress is magnetic and on a shallow note, what a babe. She rocked every single outfit. 

I liked Alfie and the fact that he wasn't immediately interested in Emily, even found her quite annoying at first. I actually like Gabriel too, but I wish they'd give him more to do or even a storyline on his own completely unrelated to Emily. The actor does what he can, but he's written as basically a mannequin for Emily and Camille to fight over. I'd be interested to see more of his conflicts at work, or even his family or other friends, kind of like they did for Mindy this season. 

• Love 14

I guess I'm in the minority but I'm team Madeline all the way. Despite her gauche behavior, her company does own Savoir, and it bugged me all during Season 1 that Sylvie acted like it was the other way around. I was glad to see Madeline show up and finally put the damn woman in her place. I hope Madeline's company sues the shit out of Sylvie's new company for taking those clients with her. Although I don't think this show is terribly interested in portraying factual business practices. Pretty sure most of those clients have a contract with Savoir, and that former Savoir employees would have a non-compete clause in their contracts. 

Both Emily and Camille look pretty desperate and pathetic chasing after Gabriel but Camille is the worse of the two. She has to know she's his second choice, and the fact that he would ask her to move in after Emily turned him down doesn't look good on him, either. But since Camille broke the pact she made that neither she nor Emily would get together with him, it looks like Emily is now free to start things up with him again eventually. I hope she's not so dense that she can't see how Camille played her. 

(But yeah . . . why either of them would want him at this point, I don't know.)

I liked Mindy's singing. I'm assuming that's Ashley Park's real voice. 

My guess: Emily will turn down Sylvie's offer at first, but things will deteriorate at Savoir and by the end of Season 3 she'll end up switching to Sylvie's company after all. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I guess I'm in the minority but I'm team Madeline all the way. Despite her gauche behavior, her company does own Savoir, and it bugged me all during Season 1 that Sylvie acted like it was the other way around.

This is my problem. They obviously wanted us to dislike Madeline so they had her act horribly.  I guess we are supposed to root for Sylvie and the others.  I find stories more interesting when there isn't a villain to root against.  

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

This is my problem. They obviously wanted us to dislike Madeline so they had her act horribly.  I guess we are supposed to root for Sylvie and the others.  I find stories more interesting when there isn't a villain to root against.  

I think they also want to hold her up to Emily.  "You think Emily displays ugly American tendencies,, just look at her boss." 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

They obviously wanted us to dislike Madeline so they had her act horribly.  I guess we are supposed to root for Sylvie and the others.  I find stories more interesting when there isn't a villain to root against.  

Agreed. Sylvie has been the de facto "villain" of the series up until now. So now we're supposed to root for her? Just because Madeline is a rude American who eats a lot? Uh, no. Also, it does appear that Sylvie has mismanaged the company's finances, perhaps even criminally. Are we just supposed to overlook that simply because Madeline is a bull in a china shop?

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Agreed. Sylvie has been the de facto "villain" of the series up until now. So now we're supposed to root for her? Just because Madeline is a rude American who eats a lot? Uh, no. Also, it does appear that Sylvie has mismanaged the company's finances, perhaps even criminally. Are we just supposed to overlook that simply because Madeline is a bull in a china shop?

I mentioned this in another thread, but this show has all of the characters using Apple products except for Sylvie.  Emily, her friends, and Madeline all have iPhones while Sylvie has an obvious Android phone (the much cooler Samsung flip).  I know Apple has a clause in their contracts with movies and TV that states only the heroes can use their products.  I found it jarring in a way to see one of the main characters in this show using a Samsung product when Emily is always shown using her MacBook.  Usually I do not notice what phones characters in a show are using, but that Samsung phone is unique, and the Apple product placement is glaringly obvious.

It is possible that Apple has eased up on this particular clause, though.

• Useful 3

Count me with the folks who were sick to death of hearing Mindy sing . yes she’s a good singer but damn. Less is more. Plus the fake busking annoyed me. Have them actually sing it live instead of the clearly pre recorded tracks. It would have been more interesting 

I like Gabriel in season 1 but I’ve turned. Lol what a dud. I much preferred Alfie. 

as for the fashion show, it might have been my favorite moment all season. I loved the entire thing. What a hoot. But overall I liked this season more than the first.

1 minute ago, TiredMe said:
Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 5
On 12/28/2021 at 6:38 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Are we sure?  I think the show wants us to believe she doesn't and that Sylvie knows best but this is also a show about France and the French culture that doesn't seem to know much about those subjects.  They need your advice as much as, if not more than, Madeleine does.

The whole Madeleine thing doesn't make sense.  The reason Emily is here is because Madeleine got pregnant but if she's willing to travel at 6 months, there's no reason why she couldn't have come over at the point of purchase to set things up the way she wanted them.

I find it more interesting how the show keeps depicting how people are to handle "affairs" in France/Europe oppose to the US. I mean, Sylvia's "boyfriend" was in complete shock to find out they were still married and as someone who might be "younger". It leads to the entire: "Umm... so open marriage? Umm... why?" 

• Love 1

Undercharging a client is bad business, but is it a crime?

I'm not sure what Madeline was inferring when she said that, but possibly the fact that Sylvie was giving "discounts" to men she was sleeping with. That might fall under the header of kickbacks. I'm not sure.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/31/2021 at 10:26 AM, iMonrey said:

I'm not sure what Madeline was inferring when she said that, but possibly the fact that Sylvie was giving "discounts" to men she was sleeping with. That might fall under the header of kickbacks. I'm not sure.

Right and in the US, that can lead to some serious ethics violations and also if any of the clients get caught in doing something or go under, it puts things in a bad light in the company and cost them problems. Of course in France it's: "Whatever, as long as it gets money and everyone is happy, who cares? What you slept with my boyfriend... you are still married... hey pass me some wine, who cares."

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Pegasaurus said:

I agree with this assessment completely. Gabriel is so handsome and polite but it kind of ends there.  I kept waiting for his character to develop into one more interesting/challenging.  Instead, he just continued to stay with Camille like a whipped pup and stare at Emily with big sad eyes.  I like him but he's being wasted.

Exactly. I also find it odd we never see any other friends of Camille or Gabriel. They have presumably lived in Paris for years, but they don't have a solid group of friends that make Emily feel like an outsider? In real life, they'd have a whole cool Parisian gang who'd hate Emily for hooking up with Gabriel. Instead, when Camille found out and was upset, she was the one isolated from Emily/Mindy/etc. I'd just like to see the show continue to expand its world as it goes on. Season 2 was better but they can still do more, even if it does still revolve around Emily.  

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I get the Mindy actress is a singer IRL but way too much singing this year. It was every episode sometimes more than once. I started FF her pretty quickly.

I hate the Emily/Gabriel/Camille plot so much. Now its dragging out even more.

• Love 2
On 12/29/2021 at 5:06 PM, iMonrey said:

Yep. Sylvie has, at best, questionable morals leading to bad business decisions, treated Emily poorly much of the series, but Madeline is an “ugly American” with bad taste so let’s all side with Sylvie. (Not here; I mean the show tone.)

43 minutes ago, deaja said:

Yep. Sylvie has, at best, questionable morals leading to bad business decisions, treated Emily poorly much of the series, but Madeline is an “ugly American” with bad taste so let’s all side with Sylvie. (Not here; I mean the show tone.)

And the most ironic part about it is that I have been on Sylvie's side in her treatment of Emily because Emily is obnoxious.  But now that they want me to take her side against another character, I can't because I think that other character likely has a very good point. 

Basically, I feel like this show is incapable of creating a character whose side I'm supposed to be on because the minute they decide I should be on that character's side, they do something where I don't root for them. 

• Love 2

Undercharging a client is bad business, but is it a crime?

It is if you get a benefit from it, particularly if it is one that could have/should have inured to the benefit of the company. At the very least, it would be grounds to terminate "for cause".

And the most ironic part about it is that I have been on Sylvie's side in her treatment of Emily because Emily is obnoxious.

I'm sure there is a better thread, but I found Emily annoying and could easily see that she could be annoying to her French counterparts (who referred to her as a "hick" in episode 1), but not obnoxious. Now Sylvie I found obnoxious in the condescending way she treated Emily and Madeline.

But I really came here to say, Emily..... LEARN FRENCH. Spend the time and learn the freakin language. Stop spending your time taking selfies and start studying so that you can speak the language you need to do your job. I am terrible at foreign languages, but I'd spend the time if it was what I needed to do my job better....or at all. 

• Love 1

There were things Madeline where she was out of line (sitting in Sylvie's chair and offering her a seat in her own office, discussing business at a party), things that the show seemed to portray as bad that I thought were reasonable (asking Emily to help her look into Sylvie's dealings), and things that were just bad personal moves (the outfits not fitting the setting, eating rudely, etc).  I get that we were supposed to see her as a fish out of water not understanding how things are done in France, but that's not how much of it came across.

14 minutes ago, deaja said:

I get that we were supposed to see her as a fish out of water not understanding how things are done in France,

I think the show wants to have it both ways—Madeline is a savvy businesswoman who is also an ugly American—and it doesn't work, IMO. In the very first episode she was shown as being disappointed in not being able to go to Paris, and I find it hard to believe that person wouldn't have done some research on French business practices. Her characterization is a mess, and they've wrecked her for me. Sylvie at least has shown some consistency in her awfulness.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I think the show wants to have it both ways—Madeline is a savvy businesswoman who is also an ugly American—and it doesn't work, IMO. In the very first episode she was shown as being disappointed in not being able to go to Paris, and I find it hard to believe that person wouldn't have done some research on French business practices. Her characterization is a mess, and they've wrecked her for me. Sylvie at least has shown some consistency in her awfulness.

That might be part of my issue. "Should I root for the one who is consistently awful or who is super inconsistent?"

Gabriel is really not worth this much effort. I liked him alright the first season, but this season he's been so bland and wishy washy, I cant really get behind him or that invested in a love triangle where the person in the middle seems to hardly be involved, he just goes with whatever girl is pushing harder. I guess Camille really was playing the long game with her moms "I'll give you advice" and her manipulative pinky promise, which seems somehow worse then what Emily did. Emily really messed up, but her sleeping with Gabriel and then not telling Camille was more fumbling, while this seems manipulative and malicious in a way that Emily's screw up never did. 

I liked this season quite a bit more then last season, even if this show still isn't exactly great. Emily was a lot more likable, her problems seemed more understandable, and they did a lot more with the supporting cast, especially Sylvie, who is my favorite character, even if she isn't the best person. Honestly scenes between her and Maddy were just exhausting, its just two immovable objects refusing to budge, not giving a single inch and starring at each other like their cultural differences are also massive personal failings. Of course, Maddie is an ass and Sylvie is definitely making some questionable business choices giving special deals to clients she sleeps with, so the personal failings were very real. Still, this season was still better and I am excited about what Emily at a brand new French agency will be like. Its a nice light show filled with most fun characters and beautiful locations, and sometimes that really is all I want. Like cotton candy, but with weird Champaign your supposed to spray at people. 

I like Alfie and I am sad that he had to go back to London, made even worse by Emily apparently still being in love with Gabriel for some reason. Granted, Alfie is also a bit of a dick, but he became a lot more likable and he and Emily at least seem to like being together, Gabriel and Emily are just never ending angst. I don't know why TV and movies are so obsessed with the idea that any true love must be difficult and painful and filled with drama while any relationship that is just nice and fun is somehow lesser. Its just stupid, just because something is hard doesn't mean that its automatically more real, and just because something is easy that doesn't mean its not real. 

If nothing else, this Darren Star show is WAY better then Michael Patrick King's current show, I will take Emily over that hot mess any day of the week. 

• Love 7

I have an intense dislike for Jeremy O. Harris so my biggest gripe with the second season was his presence, lol.

Season II was a definite improvement over season I and also a natural continuation. I hope season III explores more of Sylvie and Laurent’s dynamic as he is clearly still so in love with her - and she is in my opinion the most interesting character on the show. And the best dressed, lol.

Side note, Emily is not interesting enough to have everyone fawning over her. I was cracking up when Luc was like she’s the best and Julian was like she’s alright, calm down. That’s I how I feel. Like she’s so basic but perhaps that’s the appeal. 

My prediction for season III, Emily follows Allie to London (and it obviously) does not work out and then she ends up back in Paris with Sylvie and gang. And Sylvie could have absolutely done what she did as long as there was no no compete clause. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Side note, Emily is not interesting enough to have everyone fawning over her. I was cracking up when Luc was like she’s the best and Julian was like she’s alright, calm down. That’s I how I feel. Like she’s so basic but perhaps that’s the appeal.

There was one time in an earlier episode that Emily said something sarcastic to Alfie. It was so out of character that Emily might actually have a personality that I was sure it must've been an ad-lib and not meant to be there.

• LOL 5
On 1/4/2022 at 11:26 AM, dubbel zout said:

The show's manipulation of the audience - in regards to Madeline - is gratingly obvious.  I admit it worked on me, as I turned on Madeline when she pushed the company to represent Gregory as everyone told her that was going to royally piss off another, long-time client, Pierre (a client they've already had to work hard to keep after Emily accidentally offended the guy multiple times).  In any client-centered business, you have to take rivalries with competitors and potential conflicts seriously.  Pushing Pierre to quickly get on board with Gregory, who regularly insults and undermines Pierre's product and public image, blew up in their face predictably.  

But still.  I acknowledge what the show is doing with Madeline appears to be a completely in-your-face, plot-driven turnaround.  

Now they could be doing something interesting here, showing that as Emily grows in her career she's seeing a different side of Madeline -- after all, in the first season we only see Madeline briefly and through Emily's eyes, at a time when Emily was Madeline's loyal protege who hadn't yet questioned her boss on anything.    

But .... LOL, this is "Emily in Paris" and it's unlikely the writers planned this transition out.   

• Love 5

Yeah she’s likely to take the job with Sylvia and continue to make puppy dog eyes at Gabriel while stringing along Alfie. In other words, mostly a rinse and repeat of the second half of season two. 

On 1/5/2022 at 6:00 PM, tennisgurl said:

Its a nice light show filled with most fun characters and beautiful locations, and sometimes that really is all I want.

Yes!!! I don't get the hate I read.  This is fluff and it was meant to be fluff.  Thankfully it doesn't take itself seriously like far too many "comedies" these days.  There is enough drama and matters of import going on real life.  I am happy to make a brief escape from that with something light and visually interesting like this show.  I even like Emily's wardrobe, as OOT, ridiculous and unrealistic as it is.  I was happy to hear it's coming back for at least two more seasons. I'll be looking forward to more of the same.

• Love 4

Glad I’m not the only one. I did watch (and love) the last performance, though.

• Love 1
On 12/28/2021 at 7:59 PM, SallyAlbright said:

The actor does what he can, but he's written as basically a mannequin for Emily and Camille to fight over. I'd be interested to see more of his conflicts at work,

I really thought he’d have an affair with the beautiful bartender. But, guess we need to save him for Camille and Emily 🙄

• Love 1
On 12/29/2021 at 11:17 AM, iMonrey said:

I guess I'm in the minority but I'm team Madeline all the way. Despite her gauche behavior, her company does own Savoir, and it bugged me all during Season 1 that Sylvie acted like it was the other way around. I was glad to see Madeline show up and finally put the damn woman in her place. I hope Madeline's company sues the shit out of Sylvie's new company for taking those clients with her. Although I don't think this show is terribly interested in portraying factual business practices. Pretty sure most of those clients have a contract with Savoir, and that former Savoir employees would have a non-compete clause in their contracts. 

I agree, the giving her boyfriends cheap rates or paying less and benefits doesn't really make Sylvie look good. I hope Madeline and the Gilbert Group win. Sylvie acted like she owned Savoir and made the decisions. With Sylvie's money practice, how would she even pay her employees or get office space. 

I can't with Emily and Gabriel, she chose her friendship, she pink promised and bought Camille & her mothers plot. He also falled for plots and ran back to Camille and asked her to move in? Emily was the one who said they couldn't be together because she was going back, so I'm think she'll stay at Savior to rebuild and plan to go back.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I agree, the giving her boyfriends cheap rates or paying less and benefits doesn't really make Sylvie look good. I hope Madeline and the Gilbert Group win. Sylvie acted like she owned Savoir and made the decisions. With Sylvie's money practice, how would she even pay her employees or get office space.

I think they were going for a difference between the American version of extracting as much profit as you can and a French version where the relationships matter more than maximum profit. It doesn't mean the French version isn't profitable, it's just that they're not extracting every bit they can. Like you'll see an American company report "disappointing" results because they only had $3 billion in profit in a quarter instead of $3.2 billion.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3