Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Heavy Hoarders

• Start Topic

I love how Amy comes off as the good guy in this duo; everything is relative!

It just dawned on me that the Slaton sisters are the southern female equivalent of the Assanti brothers.

Im sorry I have to respectfully totally disagree.

Tammy and Amy are far more fun, humorous and entertaining than those freaks.  Tammy is nowhere near as bad as the sadistic and twisted Steven.   They also somewhat get along and you can tell that they do have some love for each other.  If nothing else they know how to cut up, laugh and have a good time.

The Assantis hated each other and never saw anything remotely fun from either of them.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, mytmo said:

2 slices of pizza and a bacon cheeseburger shouldn't constitute a 15lb weight gain in a month.  

My daughter and i were watching; and of course I am talking out loud to the television like these idiots can hear me.

I asked what size is one slice of pizza to her; and how many patties was her bacon cheeseburger? I know at this point though it is just a drop in the bucket!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

My daughter and i were watching; and of course I am talking out loud to the television like these idiots can hear me.

I asked what size is one slice of pizza to her; and how many patties was her bacon cheeseburger? I know at this point though it is just a drop in the bucket!

Two pieces of pizza to her is like the one glass of wine or two beers when the police pulls you over. No way. 

Tisa is a good human.

• Love 7
On 12/6/2021 at 11:19 PM, kathyk24 said:

My heart broke for Amy

You are a much better person than I am. I was repulsed. She has resources now that A LOT of working single moms don’t. She doesn’t have a job outside of being Gage’s mom (and Tammy’s enabler). Her place is small and she has a sweet, precious baby to protect and she didn’t even do the damn bare minimum! She got the surgery - no doubt through TLC’s largesse - and even with cameras on her she chooses to be lazy and filthy. It’s disgusting and she SHOULD be ashamed. So should TLC for exploiting these people. In the words of Liz Lemon - “Shut it down people. Shut it down.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

You are a much better person than I am. I was repulsed. She has resources now that A LOT of working single moms don’t. She doesn’t have a job outside of being Gage’s mom (and Tammy’s enabler). Her place is small and she has a sweet, precious baby to protect and she didn’t even do the damn bare minimum! She got the surgery - no doubt through TLC’s largesse - and even with cameras on her she chooses to be lazy and filthy. It’s disgusting and she SHOULD be ashamed. So should TLC for exploiting these people. In the words of Liz Lemon - “Shut it down people. Shut it down.”

Amy was raised in a hoarded home & her grandma was one too. The fact that she is trying to better herself by losing weight & improving her home is a good thing.  There's no shame in that. Those of us who were raised in a more sanitary environment should be grateful for that.  Michael has a job, and I know plenty of families in my neighborhood with full-time moms.  Amy's a married mom who's unable to drive & tries her best to care for her (unappreciative nasty-ass) sister.  Her husband obviously loves her & Gage very much and I'm rooting for her.  I'm liking this show a lot more than I initially thought I would. For better or worse, these are real people.  That said, to have the ladies go to that ridiculous "high tea" (mini muffins, for real?) did seem rather exploitative). 

• Love 14
On 12/7/2021 at 3:30 PM, Cosmocrush said:
On 12/6/2021 at 10:32 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

How did Tammy survive COVID. ?!?!

I marvel at that as well.  It's truly amazing.  I can only guess it was mild but still..obesity is a huge co-morbidity for terrible outcomes of Covid. 

IIRC, it was serious enough that she was hospitalized and on a ventilator. I believe Chris had a milder case and my theory is they got it from the personal trainer. I also think that’s when Tammy became reliant on oxygen. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1

I do think Amy had somewhat of an epiphany about the total mess in her home. No doubt she was embarrassed and ashamed that people see her. My goodness, if I had a camera crew in my house day in, day out for a month at a time, I'm sure things would be shown that I'd be mortified about. The thing is, I'd never allow a camera crew in my house. Sorry Amy, you signed up for this 3 times. That being said, lean into this, clean your house and learn from these very sweet organizers.

• Love 15

I'm not sure if Amy is a real hoarder. I know she was raised in a hoarding environment that was really yucky and dirty, so yucky and dirty isn't out of the realm of normalcy for her. It's what she is accustomed to. If you look around their apartment, the storage seems pretty limited. There's just no place to put stuff, so it winds up strewn about. Before Gage I think their place was a lot more orderly. So I do give her a bit of a pass on the messiness. Sometimes you just don't see things until your eyes are opened to them. Honestly I think they are just really shitty housekeepers and just need to learn how to keep a clean and orderly home. That is definitely doable and they can learn. When you're in a small place with not much storage, keeping things tidy *can be a pretty hard thing to do. If you have to clean a surface and there's no place to go with the items that are on the surface, what do you do? It gets mentally exhausting pretty quickly. But they have to do something. I really hope they figure it out.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

Amy was raised in a hoarded home & her grandma was one too. The fact that she is trying to better herself by losing weight & improving her home is a good thing. 

How you were raised (clean home vs hoarded home) undoubtedly makes a big difference in how you live as an adult.  Amy reminded me of myself in a twisted way:  my mother was a very good housekeeper, not obsessive, and our house always was clean and neat.  But, due I'm sure to some rogue gene, whenever she told me to clean up my room, I truly didn't understand what she meant.  My response always was to start emptying out my dresser drawers and and putting things back in a more orderly fashion.  "Cleaning my room" meant to me a sort of massive spring cleaning sort of thing, when my mother meant pick up your clothes off the floor and make your bed.  We had lots of arguments over my room, and it's only as an adult that I understand what my mother meant.  I needed to be told explicitly what she wanted me to do.

I wonder if Amy is a little like that, needing someone to say "first, wash and put away all the dishes."  When that's done, "gather up all the toys and put them in a box out of the way" and so on.  Especially being raised by a hoarder, she probably has no idea of what "cleaning up" is.  She needs an organizer, sure, but more than that I think she needs someone to direct her in precisely what to do, every day.

• Useful 4
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, Mothra said:

How you were raised (clean home vs hoarded home) undoubtedly makes a big difference in how you live as an adult.  Amy reminded me of myself in a twisted way:  my mother was a very good housekeeper, not obsessive, and our house always was clean and neat.  But, due I'm sure to some rogue gene, whenever she told me to clean up my room, I truly didn't understand what she meant.  My response always was to start emptying out my dresser drawers and and putting things back in a more orderly fashion.  "Cleaning my room" meant to me a sort of massive spring cleaning sort of thing, when my mother meant pick up your clothes off the floor and make your bed.  We had lots of arguments over my room, and it's only as an adult that I understand what my mother meant.  I needed to be told explicitly what she wanted me to do.

I wonder if Amy is a little like that, needing someone to say "first, wash and put away all the dishes."  When that's done, "gather up all the toys and put them in a box out of the way" and so on.  Especially being raised by a hoarder, she probably has no idea of what "cleaning up" is.  She needs an organizer, sure, but more than that I think she needs someone to direct her in precisely what to do, every day.

I think ya’ll are very kind. No way she doesn’t know to wash a dirty dish or wash a pot that has months old unfinished chili in it. Once roaches are crawling up the walls it’s time to get a clue. She’s lazy, sorry, but that’s my take on it and I don’t care if that’s okay with her but once you have a baby to care for time to Google “how to properly clean your house” and I’m sure something useful will pop up. No, it’s more fun to put on stupid wigs and make dumb you tube videos for people you don’t even know vs. allowing roaches to crawl around your baby. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

This is a great perspective, and this was my experience growing up as well. To this day I am triggered by the sound of the vacuum cleaner, because then and now it means my mother is on a "cleaning rampage" and the yelling might start. I remember her ramming the vacuum cleaner under our beds and losing her shit if we had put anything under them. That was a major no no.  We never really knew exactly what we needed to do to have our rooms up to spec either.

The moral of the story is, we didn't know which end was up, but we made sense out of it. I don't think Amy knows the difference because she's never known a clean, sanitary, tidy living environment. She does need to learn. 

Chris and Brittany have a really cute and clean house. She could learn from Brittany for example, and Brittany seems like a really nice gal.

• Love 7

I'm losing patience and interest in this show. But I somehow feel like I should still watch, mostly for Gage.

As a former single, working Mom with 2 kids and 4 pets (at the time) and a 2 hour commute, I cleaned my damn house too. Amy is really pissing me off. She's a SAHM and lives in a tiny space, with one little dog. Granted this family seems to all share an IQ level, but come on.

And what's with the bottled coffee Frappuccino-looking drinks Amy was putting in the fridge and one was sitting out near the couch? My  money is on the fact that they probably aren't for Michael. 

I work with rodents for a living (research lab). I can smell a dead one at 50 paces. So yeah, that house STINKS if they stand in front of the cabinet and can't smell it.

Amy is a dirty person. The bottom of her feet are always filthy when she crosses her leg under her on the couch. And someone please get this woman a damn bra that fits and the straps don't ride down her bicep through the entire show. Or put a regular shirt on instead of spaghetti straps 24/7. 

Tammy - I don't have any respect or sympathy for her. I don't care what her back story is, I feel she is a mean and selfish person. The fact that I've lost healthier friends/family to COVID and watch this oxygen-sucking blob not be able to walk 75 steps a day (what Dr. Smith asked of her)...Hell, I am  50+ pounds overweight and  age 53 with a bum knee,  and walk almost 8K steps a day just going about a normal day when not working. Tammy is becoming the female "James K." of M600PL. 

Chris - I agree with whoever said it's difficult to listen to his voice without your throat feeling sore. I noticed his home appeared cutely decorated and clean, another reason I think Amy is crying BS regarding their upbringing. I doubt it's just his wife who keeps it that way. He needs to focus on his own "journey" and leave Tammy with her new feeder BF.

• Love 17

This video is from three years ago! Why is she crying about haters and roaches now? If she was that upset about it, she could have done something back then.

I’m sure we’ll get more tears next season when a nest of possums is discovered under Gage‘s crib. “This reminds me of how haters would make mean comments when I had a chili pot older than my son in the kitchen sink 😭” 

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

This video is from three years ago! Why is she crying about haters and roaches now? If she was that upset about it, she could have done something back then.

I’m sure we’ll get more tears next season when a nest of possums is discovered under Gage‘s crib. “This reminds me of how haters would make mean comments when I had a chili pot older than my son in the kitchen sink 😭” 

Hole up, Little was 15 in that video? Amy said she was "really old" but she looks maybe 15 months there, not 15 years.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

Hole up, Little was 15 in that video? Amy said she was "really old" but she looks maybe 15 months there, not 15 years.

What happened to that dog? The one in the video with the cone on his head?

And that "peanut butter" fudge looked gross. Like Diabetes in a pan. Oh well, to each his own.

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

And that "peanut butter" fudge looked gross. Like Diabetes in a pan. Oh well, to each his own.

I guess it’s the thought that counts, she said she was going to take some to her mother and to Michael’s mother 😊

I actually googled two-ingredient peanut butter fudge and this “recipe“ has rave reviews at every site it’s posted on. I might have to try it, just for fun! 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

actually googled two-ingredient peanut butter fudge and this “recipe“ has rave reviews at every site it’s posted on. I might have to try it, just for fun

Report back! Lol. I'd love to know.

I found Amy's demeanor (in that older video above) to be quite different from how she behaves/presents herself now. It's almost like she IS being prompted by producers to behave different. 

She just seemed sweet and kind in the older video. Maybe Tammy has taken her toll on Amy. Who knows. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 7
48 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Report back! Lol. I'd love to know.

I found Amy's demeanor (in that older video above) to be quite different from how she behaves/presents herself now. It's almost like she IS being prompted by producers to behave different. 

She just seemed sweet and kind in the older video. Maybe Tammy has taken her toll on Amy. Who knows. 

Totally agree with your assessment. Her accent was stronger too I think? Maybe because she was speaking more naturally, idk.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Totally agree with your assessment. Her accent was stronger too I think? Maybe because she was speaking more naturally, idk.

I think Amy s personality seems the same but she gained weight.

• LOL 1
On 12/7/2021 at 12:13 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

And then the live roach walking up the wall…..when Amy was talking about how viewers complained of that years ago.  

The roach appeared as if on cue. If they had to film that scene in more than one “take,” I wonder if the director said, “Cue the roach...” 

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

I'd be willing to give Amy the benefit of the doubt regarding the roaches *if* she lived in an apartment complex where one has to depend on their upstairs/downstairs/next door neighbors to keep their places clean and tidy to avoid an infestation.

But don't Amy and Tammy live in side-by-side duplex apartments?  Aren't they each their only neighbor?  

I'm just wondering how, with Amy's half being infested, Tammy's half doesn't appear to be.  

Ugh, I wouldn't wish cockroaches on my worst enemy.  Amy and Michael really need to step up their cleaning game *after* they pay a professional fumigation service to get rid of the existing roaches.  No baby should have to be in the same vicinity of those nasty little bastards.  

• Love 12

What kind of job does Michael have? Or does he not work? He just seems to be background noise, there but not being relevant. Why doesn't he clean the house? What does he do all day, or if he works, on the weekends? He just seems like a blob to me, never offering anything or being useful other than driving and pushing Tammy around.

Tammy should take some of TLC's money and get some dental work done. If I had missing front teeth I would be mortified and my self esteem would plummet to zero. She doesn't seem to care. Getting some dental work would certainly help her in seeing herself just a little better.

Tammy  has never really had a life. No idea what the world can offer her. She doesn't know what she's missing. I don't see her as ever caring enough about herself as to make any self-improvement, let alone massive weight loss. Girl, try and get a hobby and show some interest in something besides eating.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Breedom said:

What kind of job does Michael have? Or does he not work? 

It has been mentioned a few times by Amy that Michael works. In the above posted video (from years ago) Amy said he worked night shift. I don't know if he still works night shift or if he still works at all or just works for TLC. It's a mystery. 

I've asked the same question here and nobody seems to know. Whatever Michael's job status might be, I like him so far. He seems kind and loves Amy.

I just wish he would quit hauling Tammy's 700 pounds around. He's going to be disabled soon too with back problems.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

It has been mentioned a few times by Amy that Michael works. In the above posted video (from years ago) Amy said he worked night shift. I don't know if he still works night shift or if he still works at all or just works for TLC. It's a mystery. 

I've asked the same question here and nobody seems to know. Whatever Michael's job status might be, I like him so far. He seems kind and loves Amy.

I just wish he would quit hauling Tammy's 700 pounds around. He's going to be disabled soon too with back problems.

I agree he seems very kind. To me, that’s a huge victory for Amy. She didn’t marry an abuser, which will go a long way in helping her not repeat all the crap that went on in her family of origin with Gage. 

Edited by readheaded
  • Love 9

Well,  saw this last night and of course Tammy gained weight. What else is new? Amy isn't a hoarder, she's a slob. I understand her place is small, but you have to keep it picked up and tidy. There's no excuse for dirty dishes to be sitting out for days. The baby takes naps, right? Do the dishes while he's sleeping. Take your sister off your "to do" list-let her get her own meds and food. Places do deliver, ya know. She's always bitching about being independent-so let her! And all the boo-hooing about the bugs-people are mean, etc. If she's so embarrassed about have roaches and mice-use that energy to clean up. Just taking out the garbage is a good start. And guess what-if Amy has roaches so does Tammy-their places share a wall so the bugs will spread out. Stop wasting time making stupid videos and keep your place clean and your baby safe.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, GaT said:

Michael is a mill operator at Shamrock Technologies in Kentucky.

I think better now of Michael now that I know for sure he has a job. The three of them make a nice little family. Gage is so cute!

But the cleanliness of the house - is there really an excuse for that? THEY ARE ON TV. Does Amy really and genuinely care? No, otherwise she would do something about it. So if Amy can't or won't clean her house, why doesn't someone else step in to save her the humiliation of her TV audience seeing this horrific mess? She did acknowledge how bad it was (so she knows) and how embarrassed she was.  Her brother or Brittany could really step in to "save" her this humiliation. Does Michael give a flying whoop? She has friends, I'm sure that could suggest a clean-up. If my sibling was lacking so badly in this territory and she/he was going to be filmed on a show, absolutely, I'd step in. I think Tammy's place looks pretty clean; at least nothing leaps out at me now where I would question it. Who's cleaning her place?

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Tisa’s making the bed 😐

Tisa also helps "clean up Tammy" as in personal hygiene. Damn that Tisa is a gem.

Amy needs to thank God, the universe, luck, Buddha, TLC for finding this woman who knows how to accomplish what she was hired to do. And she does her job with a smile, a great upbeat personality and respect for her client (Tammy.) So butt out and fuck off Amy. Go clean your own shithole and continue being a mom. Hey everyone...did you know Amy is a mom!!??? 

The only upside in baby Gage's life is his dad. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 12/11/2021 at 5:23 PM, Friday said:

I wonder how often sheets and towels in these two households get changed.  I shuddered thinking about it.

I bet both sisters are like a friend's former roommate.   She changed her sheets once during the school year, didn't do laundry, just recycled clothes from the bottom of the pile, left things in the fridge until they grew furry mold, and she came from a nice family.   Her sister was nothing like that.   

Once the place is cleaned up, all Amy has to do is maintenance, and maybe get a maid service in every couple of weeks.   Cleaning out stuff they don't use any more would help a lot too.   I bet half of the stuff in Amy's house is duplicates, or no longer needed.   

Amy's sight might be a factor also.    A friend who had eye issues was a bad housekeeper, because she simply didn't see the dirt, and filth.     I don't know why Amy doesn't just use paper plates, or other dishware, and toss them after use.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

With Tammy it’s probably a sponge bath of just the pits, bum, and coochie so not many towels needed.

I think that would either be lots of towels or bath sheets, we're not talking normal size pits, bum an coochie. 🤮

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Once the place is cleaned up, all Amy has to do is maintenance, and maybe get a maid service in every couple of weeks.

But she’s a MOM now!  She doesn’t have time to keep the place picked up!!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I don't know why Amy can't get one of Gage's grandmas to take him for 4 or 5 hours once a week so Amy can clean the house. But maybe that's not possible. 

I hope Amy never leaves sweet Gage with her nasty, abusive mother. 

• Love 14

I agree with those that think that growing up in a hoarded home with no role models for cleaning and obvious ongoing depression play huge roles in housekeeping ability. Hoarding seems to be an obsessive compulsive disorder and somewhat hereditary. Apparently having OCD and wanting to do everything perfectly or not at all leads to a paralysis about certain things. It's entirely possible that her living situation even in the pre-Gage years was so light years ahead of how she grew up to her it WAS clean, and that having him is pushing her toward seeing she needs even more improvement. Having a baby certainly seems to have  jolted her into thinking that the baby deserves better, even if internet shaming didn't make her think that SHE did. So good for her. Know better, do better. Having been humiliated on the same issue already, she put her pathology on display knowing she'd get kicked for it, hoping it would still work out for the best. That's pretty courageous.

I'm another grown up child who never "got" the cleaning gene. Don't have OCD, but if you add depression, you don't even SEE it, and when you do you feel bad and tune it out. I have a feeling Amy has tuned out a LOT in her life. If she's learning to see things through different eyes now (pardon the metaphor), good for her.  I hope that she can get the kind of therapy they give to hoarders and learn systems for cleaning as well as organization. She probably would do great with a FlyLady type structure where you literally get assignments daily and by the end of the month your house is clean and you're developing the habits other people come by naturally or in their childhood homes.  

• Love 9
17 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I don't know why Amy can't get one of Gage's grandmas to take him for 4 or 5 hours once a week so Amy can clean the house. But maybe that's not possible. 

Certainly not her nasty mother.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 12/6/2021 at 11:13 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

Does anyone know how tall she is? Because she honestly looks like she is close to being as wide as she is tall.

Also, when I was doing some research on cremation and burial of the super morbidly obese, I read an article that said there's a company that makes special caskets that are 52" wide. That's 4'4". 

Tammy looks like she's pretty close to that if not over.

Tammy is 5'9", and Amy is 5'5".

• Love 1
12 hours ago, kassa said:

She probably would do great with a FlyLady type structure where you literally get assignments daily and by the end of the month your house is clean and you're developing the habits other people come by naturally or in their childhood homes. 

Love The Fly Lady! 

5 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Michael doesn’t have the squeakiest clean of records 😔 

His arrest/charges seem to be vague. I saw 4th Degree domestic violence, but that doesn’t mean he roughed up a girlfriend or a former wife. It could’ve been a brother or a cousin that he didn’t get along with for all we know, but at least he’s not a felon. He seems like a very loving husband and father and especially kind as a brother-in-law so I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

His arrest/charges seem to be vague. I saw 4th Degree domestic violence, but that doesn’t mean he roughed up a girlfriend or a former wife. It could’ve been a brother or a cousin that he didn’t get along with for all we know, but at least he’s not a felon. He seems like a very loving husband and father and especially kind as a brother-in-law so I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt!

Also in many jurisdictions If police are summoned to a domestic dispute it is required that someone be arrested.  

• Love 3