Type keyword(s) to search

Coffee vs Tea vs ?

Bella
  • Start Topic

POLL OPEN

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I make my own hot chocolate/coffee drink for breakfast every morning.  Then I drink white tea during the day (I like white tea since it's very mild and I don't need to add sugar or milk).

Along with being a Coke-aholic, I was a Coffee-aholic until January of this year.  All that caffiene I have taken in for 3 decades completely toasted my adrenals, so I am in the middle of trying to repair them.  So no caffiene in my system at the moment.

I do like hot tea in the winter.  But I drink salt water in the morning these days <---yeah, I know it sounds gross, but this actually helps the adrenals.

I just can't drink tea--it makes me gag.  I think it has the same kind of taste as when you get too much water mixed with kool-aid, only hot.  If I feel like I should drink some just to be polite, I load it with sugar and cream so I can barely taste it. 

• Love 1

I drink water and tea most of the day. I have a lot of tea, mostly black and green loose leaf including pu-erh. I only drink it about 2 cups a day though. I rarely drink coffee, and when I do it's usually espresso based or espresso itself. Sometimes, I drink milk. Rarely, juice of any kind. 

As for alcohol, my preferences are wine (white and red), scotch, bourbon, cider, and some cocktails. 

• Love 1

Weekdays, milk (1%).  Weekends, Bloody Mary.

I don't drink coffee -- I love the smell, but not the taste.  My favorite tea is green tea (decaffeinated, as I have both a low tolerance for caffeine and a heart condition that doesn't like it).  Whatever the tea, I add nothing to it.  (But I'm much more apt to drink it at night than in the morning, so I didn't vote for it.)

During the day, water.

With dinner, water or wine.

Edited by Bastet

I picked "I wake up high on life!"  Not because I really do, but because I almost never have time to drink (or eat) anything before I head to work in the morning.  I'd rather be sleeping.

Usually halfway through the morning I rouse myself from my computer screen long enough to get a Pepsi (if I have change) or a sweet iced tea (if I don't).  The smell of brewing coffee makes me want to vomit, although I do love the smell of the dry beans.  My parents never drank coffee when I was a kid - we just had it if my grandparents were coming over - and I've never gotten used to the smell.  A few years ago, they took up coffee again, and now I cannot be at their house in the early morning.

I love pu-erh, @Athena - it's what I switch to on a cold day after I've had my coffee.

Yes, I've gotten into it only recently because I have a cousin who now owns a tea store selling it primarily. It's not really a cheap tea either so I'm making my tea gifts last.

Like @photo fox I said I wake up high on life. I drink water in the morning.

A strong espresso first thing for de-zombification purposes, then a steady stream of milky black tea throughout the day. I try to get a camomile or valerian before bed.

Edited by zbornak

But I drink salt water in the morning these days <---yeah, I know it sounds gross, but this actually helps the adrenals.

I read about that @BizBuzz when I looked into adrenal fatigue after my years with the spawn of Satan. Constant fight or flight had me concerned I did damage. I never tried the salt water for some reason. Maybe my brain hiccuped.

I prefer to wake up slowly (mmrph!) but have to rush usually because I take a few minutes to get going. I pack kids lunches & cook breakfast & if I drink anything during that I have water. I do fix my kiddos hot drinks. One has hot tea with cream & the other has what we call coffee milk, half decaf coffee & half cream. If I wasn't rushing if probably prefer milk. We drink raw milk & I love it.

• Love 2

We drink raw milk & I love it.

Oh, I love raw milk.  In fact, I've had 2% in my fridge for so long, that plain old pasteurized/homogenized whole milk is a treat that I savor. 

Edited by Shannon L.

We need a milk poll. Whole, 2%, 1%, soy, almond, etc. I can't post it now as I'm just popping in and out on my phone.

Don't forget non-fat, said the only person on the planet who actually prefers skim milk.

• Love 4

Coffee with a splash of half and half every morning.  I try to keep it to one cup at home, as the coffee at the office is basically tar and needs a lot of additions to make it palatable.  Water and sometimes herbal tea during the day.

Anyone tried butter coffee (or bulletproof coffee, where you add coconut oil I think)?

But I drink salt water in the morning these days

Salt water is usually considered an emetic.  I can't imagine drinking it on purpose.  Maybe you use just a teeny bit of salt?

• Love 1

Salt water is usually considered an emetic.  I can't imagine drinking it on purpose.  Maybe you use just a teeny bit of salt?

About 1/4 tsp to 8 oz of water. It's actually tasty. And it's Celtic Sea Salt.

@stewedsquashRe: iced tea, I grew up drinking it sweet, but now prefer unsweetened. In Atlanta a few years ago, I ordered a "sweet tea," just to say I'd had it. Oh, my. I was nearly in a sugar coma.

My daughter calls it cake tea.

• Love 1

Coffee w/almond milk. When I first get up.

I can't drink more then 2 mugs. and pretty much water the rest of the day.

I cannot drink coffee any other time. it gives me a terrible head ache, does anyone else have this.

Re: iced tea, I grew up drinking it sweet, but now prefer unsweetened. In Atlanta a few years ago, I ordered a "sweet tea," just to say I'd had it. Oh, my. I was nearly in a sugar coma.

When driving south through Virginia, I like to play a game with myself to pinpoint "the sweet tea line." It's like the Mason-Dixon line, only it divides the part of the country where the default is unsweetened tea from the part where it is sweetened tea. 

I think it's just very slightly south of Richmond these days.

• Love 2

Not a big fan of hot tea, except at Chinese restaurants. LOVE the Chinese tea, have been known to drink a whole pot by myself!

I grew up watching my parents drink iced coffee, and it's been a favorite for many years. It wasn't easy to find when I was a kid, it wasn't really a 'thing' back then. I remember on several occasions when my parents ordered it, they'd get two cups of hot coffee and a few ice cubes on a plate! Restaurants at that time didn't have a good grasp on the iced coffee concept.

When my Dad was alive, he had to have his iced tea with dinner every night, so I drank it with him, but I had to quit, my stomach was starting to rebel, so I went back to water with dinner.

My favorite drink at Starbucks, though, is the black iced tea unsweetened.  I use sweetener in it.

• Love 1

I've recently limited my caffeine intake, so there have been a lot of changes. Coffee wasn't a necessity, but I used to drink loose-leaf green tea all day long.

So now I drink flavored loose-leaf rooibos (red) tea. It's a poor substitute for me. I've tried unflavored rooibos and it was worse. But at least I can drink it all day.

My once a week treat is now caffeine. Whether it's a cup of coffee, a cup of green tea, or a nice chai tea latte.

I really enjoy chai lattes. But I find most places make it too sweet and less spicy. I'd prefer a spicier chai with a little less sweetness.

• Love 1

Large Taiwanese-style iced brown rice milk tea with double tapioca pearls, 50% sugar, regular ice is my standard drink order to the point that my local Chatime makes it for me while I'm in the line unless I indicate I want to change it up, which only happens very rarely. When I was in Saigon recently, the staff at the Chatime there learnt my order in about three days. With language barriers.

I had to cut out caffeine a few years ago due to thyroid problems and I've never been able to go back to it. I would seriously be like a hummingbird on speed if I had a cup of coffee now. It sucked for the first few weeks, but now I'm totally used to it. I still love coffee, tea (iced and hot), and soda, but I rarely drink any of it and if I do, it's caffeine free. I drink tons of water daily now.

But I drink salt water in the morning these days <---yeah, I know it sounds gross, but this actually helps the adrenals.

Bizbuzz, ditto here! Years of thyroid disease lead to adrenal fatigue and now I'm hooked on pink Himalayan salt. I seriously could eat it raw, which sounds so gross, but my body craves it.

Edited by emma675d

Ok guys you're making me think it's time to try it. BizBuzz & emma675 can y'all tell me how you do the morning salt water thing? I'm hypothyroid & while my tests show my adrenals aren't blown they're on the low side of the normal range. I've read about salt in water before but it was in connection with a drawn out adrenal rebuilding program.

ramble, I basically mix 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt into an 8 oz. glass of cold water and drink it first thing in the morning. Don't use regular table salt, you need something like Celtic or Himalayan salt so you get all of the good trace minerals. It sounds horrifying to most people, but I love it (probably because my adrenals are craving it).

Thanks so much emma675! I've been using Celtic sea salt for years but recently switched to Redmond Real Salt. I'm going to try this. I'll have to start slow & build up I imagine, but I love the idea of helping my adrenals.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 1

I've recently limited my caffeine intake, so there have been a lot of changes. Coffee wasn't a necessity, but I used to drink loose-leaf green tea all day long.

So now I drink flavored loose-leaf rooibos (red) tea. It's a poor substitute for me. I've tried unflavored rooibos and it was worse. But at least I can drink it all day.

My once a week treat is now caffeine. Whether it's a cup of coffee, a cup of green tea, or a nice chai tea latte.

I really enjoy chai lattes. But I find most places make it too sweet and less spicy. I'd prefer a spicier chai with a little less sweetness.

I totally agree with this. Indian chai is both very sweet and very spicy. I lived in university accommodation with a bunch of Indian students who could make GREAT chai with less sugar for me. I had a good one at Salamanca Markets in Hobart, Australia recently.

I love the smell of coffee, but can't stand the taste. Don't like tea either.

Except chai. I could drink chai all day. Borders used to have the best chai, but now I have to settle for Starbucks. I usually drink it iced, even in the winter.

I buy chai tea powder at Trader Joe's.  They used to sell decaff but now it's just regular.  So, I buy decaff chai tea powder at Harris Teeter supermarkets.  I love the aroma of fresh brewed coffee and drink it once in a while with some Half & Half in it.  But coffee doesn't seem to like me so I'm mostly an iced tea w/ lemon drinker (love Zero Coke too :>)

Edited by annzeepark914

Diet Coke first thing in the morning, mainly because everything else takes time to make. For the rest of the day, after I become human again ("SANDMAN87 SMASH! GIVE CAFFEINE NOW!"), it can be Diet Coke, coffee, tea, or a latte, depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Coffee (or Americano) with a bit of milk, no sugar, please!  Sometimes, I might make myself a "dirty chai" or dirty chai latte - chai (latte) with a shot of espresso.  Again, unsweetened.  Weekends = lattes/cappuccinos.  I have green tea most afternoons.  Once in a while, I might have a Hong Kong Milk Tea (black tea with condensed milk and sugar) or maybe yin yang (Hong Kong Milk Tea with coffee, so yeah, sort of like a dirty chai, but with instant coffee (or drip, if you're lucky) instead of espresso). Not a big fan of either, though. Both are available at most Hong Kong style diners/bakeries, which are abundant in the Toronto area.

Edited by PRgal

I had a Starbucks gift card, so I went to check out the new coffee drink - flat white. It's supposed to have a stronger coffee flavor than a latte. It's nothing special. I find Starbucks to be overpriced, yet I love the cafe Americano. My compromise is u s ing the Starbucks K-cups at home.