Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Let’s All Push Our Hands Together for the Stew Train and the Conners's Furniture

Pallas
  • Start Topic

"Do you always have to be such a bitch?"

"Now it's a Conners dinner!" 

LOL. I also liked Dan, Jackie, and Becky betting during that face off.

So, interesting ending with Harris there. She can't stay with Aldo, and now she isn't with Darlene and the others, so...where is she going to go, then? And what does this mean for her going forward? 

Their fight was pretty tense, too - on the one hand, I still share in Darlene's wariness about Aldo and the long-term nature of Harris' relationship with him and his kids. It just seems a bad setup all the way around. But she is also right that given Darlene's track record, it's hard for Harris to take her advice about men and relationships all that seriously. I get Darlene suggesting she and Harris get some space from each other, and I don't think that's a bad idea in and of itself. But yeah. I do wonder how long that'll last, too. 

Nick is interesting. I like him and his interaction with Darlene, their teasing banter was cute and fun. But yeah, clearly his advice to her about how to improve her life and relationships may need some work, or she may need to look elsewhere for help. 

As for Dan and Louise, I hope he can get a few more of her things into the house at some point. I do like Louise's suggestion of them just starting anew completely with revamping the bedroom, I think that's a wise idea for both of them. I loved her suggestion to Dan to pick out what he wanted, ask what the complete opposite of that would be, and then buy that :p. 

• Love 20

Great episode.

I feel that in one way Harris deserved what she got and in another way she's just a little girl who needs her mother to mother her.  I wish she would just go and live with David. Hoping his life is better now.

The crazy Jackie storyline was meh as well as the extra furniture storyline. At least I can understand the whole Louise storyline due to some accident that Katey had.

• Love 9

Loved this episode. 

Dan & Louise loved their scenes of course. I just love how fair Louise is (I knew she would be) I loved her ideas and it definitely was a great suggestion to have Dan buy what he wanted and them to change the bedroom and start new as husband & wife. I was surprised that Louise's band was going back on the road and that's great, but I don't want her to leave. I can't wait to see the continuation of Dan & Louise's storyline. 

Harris & Darlene I could see both sides here, but Harris was being horrible to her mother. Harris and Aldo I don't think it's gonna last.

Jackie's strew train thing was funny at the beginning. 

Can't wait for the next episode which is on the 1st..ugh repeat again

Edited by ESS
  • Love 5

At least I can understand the whole Louise storyline due to some accident that Katey had.

What's this about?

That pizza they were eating looked awful.

Why would Louise bring her refrigerator? Don't you pretty much have to leave that? And if they're doubling up on appliances, just pick whichever is newest/better. That's an easy fix.

I think Dan gave in to easily anyway. Those kids are all freeloaders.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

What's this about?

That pizza they were eating looked awful.

Why would Louise bring her refrigerator? Don't you pretty much have to leave that? And if they're doubling up on appliances, just pick whichever is newest/better. That's an easy fix.

Katey was hit by a car back in October(a few weeks ago) and she's still recovering from her injuries at the moment, she only retuned to work this past Friday.

Spoiler

The Dan & Louise is going to be continued in the next new episode 4x08 so this isn't the end of it just yet

, but that's a good question about the refrigerator though. 

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, that was odd; rentals usually come with the appliances, at least. And did she really expect to just bring all her stuff into the house and replace all of Dan's? (They can't get rid of the couch!!) Also, they have facetime; he can still take her furniture shopping from a distance.

Though I'm pretty sure Scotch Guard isn't going to save the couch on the porch from the weather. Or critters.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, that was odd; rentals usually come with the appliances, at least. And did she really expect to just bring all her stuff into the house and replace all of Dan's? (They can't get rid of the couch!!) Also, they have facetime; he can still take her furniture shopping from a distance.

Though I'm pretty sure Scotch Guard isn't going to save the couch on the porch from the weather. Or critters.

Hopefully all of these questions will be answered in the next new episode on the 1st. 

• Love 2

Where I'm from in CA rentals don't always come with a refrigerator, microwave, etc... Newer corporate complexes do but it's common to have to bring your own.

I liked seeing this side of Aldo. The age difference is problematic but we don't know if Harris has been offering to help as a way to gain favor and insert herself into their life as an escape from her family, or if Aldo is asking her to watch the kids and pay his rent. 

I hope Harris ends up at her other friends house and does some soul searching about how she can improve her situation. She is an adult, Darlene does need to back off and perhaps this will be the catalyst to launch Harris into a new path.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Louise said it was her condo tonight and she was gonna rent it out

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

"I'm pretty sure that's a pre-existing condition" about the birth control pills making Harris moody made me laugh, but I certainly hope she's using something else instead.

It's easy to be all zen if your daughter makes thoughtful decisions like Nick's does, but Harris is a raging idiot right now, so, while Darlene has no veto power over her at this age, it's pretty unrealistic to expect her to just sagely accept she has to advise where she can and then just let it play out.

But what she wound up doing was moving, since it was rooted in her fear that their relationship would be irreparably damaged.  Is Odessa still around?  (I don't remember why Harris wound up leaving her apartment and moving back home.)  Hopefully Harris can go live with her.

(All of Harris's stuff fits in one suitcase?)

The kids objecting to getting rid of any of the furniture was refreshingly realistic, and better be a precursor to finally getting an honest emotional reaction to Louise marrying Dan and moving in out of them.  Fair warning that if that doesn't happen next episode, if it's just about Dan's reaction to the final stage in transitioning the bedroom from his and Roseanne's to his to his and Louise's, I'm going to freak my shit in here.

Also, you don't just fill a pod with all your furniture and expect your husband to make room for it; for every piece of furniture there's now two of (with only room for one), decide which one to keep, and then fill the pod with the stuff that's moving in with you and sell/donate the stuff that's not.  What Louise ultimately came up with - keep the living room and kitchen as it is, since that's family space, but replace the bedroom furniture with stuff that's neither his nor hers but theirs - is great, so all's well that ends well, but it was contrived getting there.

It's weird that she talked about renting out her place, period, rather than saying she didn't have time to prep it for sale before going on tour, but could still clear it out now and temporarily rent it for some extra income.  Or is she renting, her lease isn't up yet, but same idea, she can sub-lease for the rest of the term?  Between that and the talk of storage, it was just a weird way of dealing with a move that's intended to be permanent.

"Burn victims and lawsuits in 3, 2, 1" was funny, but Jackie's stupidity in operating the restaurant is wearing thin.

• Love 12

I think that Odessa kicked Harris out when Harris lost the job at that store because she couldn't help with the rent anymore?  I'm not positive though. 

I hope that they won't have Darlene end up in some stupid love triangle with Nick and Ben.  I'm wary though because TPTB seem very much attached to Ben, even though the episodes without him seem to go just fine.

• Love 6

I think Aldo never really wanted Harris to move in. He just got caught up in the moment and felt he couldn’t get out of it.  I suspect if she hadn’t jumped the gun, he’d put her off for some reason (most likely involving the kids) forever.

My speculation is that Harris is going to go break into Louise’s condo and set up there.  At least until it’s rented out or this storyline resolves with her coming back.

• Useful 8
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Where I'm from in CA rentals don't always come with a refrigerator, microwave, etc... Newer corporate complexes do but it's common to have to bring your own.

Hm..microwave, sure, but I never had to provide my own fridge until I bought my condo (and that was only because the previous owner moved hers to her new house). Never saw a rental that didn't include the major kitchen appliances. 

6 hours ago, bobalina said:

Louise said it was her condo tonight and she was gonna rent it out

I know, but why does she need to take her fridge to Dan's? They have a fridge. (I could see maybe trading if hers is nicer, but they don't need two at Dan's house and Dan's seems to be perfectly functional. And they have one in the garage, too, don't they? Maybe that's just for the beer.) I get her wanting to keep at least some of her furniture; on the other hand she could probably charge more if she rented the place furnished.

6 hours ago, izabella said:

My recording cut off at the end when Jackie had just launched her stew-delivering drone.  I imagine it ended in a tragic crash.  Can anyone fill me in on what happened?

It picked up a little basket (more like a flat tray attached by strings) holding the bowl and (of course) it tipped and spilled across the floor while a customer at a table ducked.

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

but Harris is a raging idiot right now

Yeah, don't do it, Harris. He will not pay you back. Ask me how I know.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Hm..microwave, sure, but I never had to provide my own fridge until I bought my condo (and that was only because the previous owner moved hers to her new house). Never saw a rental that didn't include the major kitchen appliances. 

MMV, obviously. In my entire rental experience I lived in two apartments that came with a refrigerator. They always included the oven/range but a refrigerator and microwave were for the nicer, newer complexes. The last place I rented was BYO Refrigerator and washer / dryer. I offered to leave them, for free, since I wasn't going to haul them to Georgia and then landlord said no. They didn't want to deal with any maintenance requests for issues. It may not be common in IL but it does happen.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, don't do it, Harris. He will not pay you back. Ask me how I know.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I think Aldo never really wanted Harris to move in. He just got caught up in the moment and felt he couldn’t get out of it.  I suspect if she hadn’t jumped the gun, he’d put her off for some reason (most likely involving the kids) forever.

I agree that he may not pay her back and may have tried to put her off forever, but after seeing him put his kids first, and hearing about their serious issues, I'm reserving judgement on him until I learn more. As I mentioned upthread, we have no idea if Harris is offering to help with the kids and give him money, as a way to insert herself more into his life, or if he is asking for her help. Their relationship could have started as a hook-up (problematic due to the age gap) and Harris manipulated the situation to turn it into a relationship Aldo didn't really want as a way to escape her chaotic homelife. I could be, and am probably wrong, but until I learn more I'm not going to rake him over the coals as a user.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I forgot to mention that if Louise had nicer kitchen appliances (such as the refrigerator and microwave) it would make sense to use those insetad of their old, breaking down appliances. I get not wanting to replace the furntiure in the primary living spaces and do love that their compromise was making the bedroom theirs. 

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I do like Louise's suggestion of them just starting anew completely with revamping the bedroom, I think that's a wise idea for both of them. I loved her suggestion to Dan to pick out what he wanted, ask what the complete opposite of that would be, and then buy that :p. 

It was funny, but I can't imagine not wanting to be involved in picking out my bedroom furniture.

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Also, they have facetime; he can still take her furniture shopping from a distance

Yup.

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

on the other hand she could probably charge more if she rented the place furnished.

11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yes, wouldn't you get more rent if you left the fridge?  Are the Conners really so attached to their old microwave (which they recently joked about not working properly)?

I wonder how much it will cost Louise to store her living room furniture, microwave and coffee maker. Possibly a kitchen table and chairs, too.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

(All of Harris's stuff fits in one suitcase?)

There were 2 suitcases.

I wonder how all this uncertainty over Harris affects Mark, with whom she shares a room.

• Love 8

Is David still in town? Maybe Harris can stay with him (he can remain off screen if JG isn't available). If she stays with Jackie (or DJ) then Darlene will certainly find out so I assume she won't want to do that (because she won't want Darlene to know she was probably right). They don't seem to even talk to David anymore.

Though I was a bit annoyed with Darlene telling her to leave now if she wasn't planning to move in with Aldo for another month. Darlene shouldn't assume she can move in earlier than planned (and I got the impression she knew Harris wasn't moving immediately). Fine if she thinks it's better to not have Harris living there but she should have sat her down and discussed it, not just hand her two suitcases and shove her out the door.

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Are the Conners really so attached to their old microwave (which they recently joked about not working properly)?

Yes, yes they are.  I had to pry my parents' old microwave out of their kitchen even though I had bought them a new one when I noticed theirs worked when the door was open.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

In an episode like this, it feels like having Roseanne there would have made a difference.  During that mother-daughter fight scene, she would have shouted some obvious (and likely hurtful) truths at Harris.  It might not have helped, but Darlene's "it's all my fault/I don't want to destroy our relationship" isn't the way to deal with the situation, either.

• Love 11
Just now, Brn2bwild said:

In an episode like this, it feels like having Roseanne there would have made a difference.  During that mother-daughter fight scene, she would have shouted some obvious (and likely hurtful) truths at Harris.  It might not have helped, but Darlene's "it's all my fault/I don't want to destroy our relationship" isn't the way to deal with the situation, either.

Neither was packing her suitcases and kicking her out. That was heartless. No wonder Harris is so messed up. There is no continuity in her life except chaos and dysfunction.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, bobalina said:

Unless I missed something Darlene didn't know Harris had nowhere to go. Harris should have told her.

Yes, this.  I put this fiasco on Harris.  She was too stubborn or embarrassed or something to tell Darlene she couldn't move in with Aldo and had nowhere to go.  There is no way Darlene would have let her out the door if she knew that. 

All Harris has to do is tell her mom she has nowhere to go.  She could be back in the house any time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

Is David still in town? Maybe Harris can stay with him (he can remain off screen if JG isn't available). If she stays with Jackie (or DJ) then Darlene will certainly find out so I assume she won't want to do that (because she won't want Darlene to know she was probably right). They don't seem to even talk to David anymore.

Yes, David seems to have disappeared into the void, like Crystal, Jackie's son, Little Ed and Jerry Garcia.

Emma Kenney better watch out, she is being typecast as a bratty poor teen who makes terrible life decisions. There is very little to differentiate Harris from the character she played on Shameless.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Okay, I haven't watched my recording yet, but as far as the two fridge's is concerned. Wouldn't you put the sketchier one in the garage for extra storage and the nicer one in the kitchen? I only had one kid and we had a garagerator for beverages and extra freezer space. Especially because my kitchen is too small for a large capacity fridge. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 12
13 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Okay, I haven't watched my recording yet, but as far as the two fridge's is concerned. Wouldn't you put the sketchier one in the garage for extra storage and the nicer one in the kitchen? I only had one kid and we had a garagerator for beverages and extra freezer space. Especially because my kitchen is too small for a large capacity fridge. 

When I was a kid we had a smaller fridge in the basement, plus a chest freezer (both long gone now). When my parents redid their kitchen some years ago they got a new fridge and moved the old one to the garage. It mostly holds drinks and Sam's Club-size bags of frozen shrimp and the like.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MsTree said:

I don't know about most of you, but if I ever talked to my mother the way Harris did, I'd be seeing stars for days....after the hand-print wore off.

RIGHT?!!  See, this is why I’m glad I don’t have any kids ‘cause that shit she pulled right there?  Would have had me in jail.

First of all, my mind when blank with Harris calling her mother a bitch…..I don’t give a good goddamn what kind of parent Darlene is, at the end of the day you are the child so watch your mouth!  Secondly, her pushing her to the floor would have had her face smashed against the fireplace with me giving her a major ass kicking (that is, if she was still alive after the bitch comment!)  So no heiffa, you don’t get to call me a bitch, push me to the floor then waltz back home ‘cause your 38 year old boyfriend told you to kick rocks, FUCK...THAT!

My sympathy was for Darlene, because it killed her to do what she did.

Who played Nick?  He looks familiar.

• Love 8

The house I rented in North Carolina did not come with a refrigerator or a stove.  When I did the first walk-through to see if I liked it, it actually took me a while to figure out why the kitchen was so large.  I think my brain could not compute that there were no major appliances.  I bought a used fridge and stove and left them there when I moved out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Who played Nick?  He looks familiar.

Officially it is Andrew Leeds. If you watched Bones he was Christopher Pelant, a serial killer so that's what I thought the whole time I watched the episode. 

Edited by joanne3482
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Harris is an adult and wants to be treated like one. You can't go around assaulting your mother and disrespecting your grandfather (in his own home) and expect to have a place to live. Darlene isn't innocent, at all, but I can't fault her for kicking Harris out after calling her mother a bitch and pushing her to the ground. She also didn't know that Aldo said Harris can't move in or that she doesn't have a place to live.

• Love 17
23 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

Officially it is Andrew Leeds. If you watched Bones he was Christopher Pelant, a serial killer so that's what I thought the whole time I watched the episode. 

That's right!  He also reminds me of a young Martin Hewitt, who played David Axelrod in one of my all-time favorite Brooke Shields movies, Endless Love.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Also Zoey's brother from Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist.

More recently, he was Peter (Sophie's creep music teacher) on A Million Little Things. I think his run there might be done (since they jumped ahead six months after his storyline a couple episodes ago). It was kind of odd seeing him as a nice guy here knowing I was going to watch AMLT later (and while he wasn't in the episode it did refer to him and what his character did).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, MsTree said:

I don't know about most of you, but if I ever talked to my mother the way Harris did, I'd be seeing stars for days....after the hand-print wore off.

I wonder if the writers were trying to top the Darlene vs Jackie showdown.

15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

What's this about?

I expected Darlene and Becky to protest but why DJ? He's hardly there and has his own place.

I thought of it as Dan using the kids as a scapegoat because he doesn't want to get rid of everything either. If Dan really wanted to replace the furniture and appliances he can put his foot down and say "if you don't like it, you move out" which we all know they won't.

1 hour ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

My sympathy was for Darlene, because it killed her to do what she did.

Sadly some kids do talk to their parents like that and they don't do anything. I never pictured Darlene to be that parent though.

Has Harris completely given up school? 

• Love 5

I just thought this was sad.  Darlene was trying to be helpful and learn new ways to relate and didn't know Harris didn't have a place to go.  Harris was too stubborn or afraid to say something.  Idiot-plot syndrome (TM) keeps them from saying something that would prevent a terrible outcome.

• Love 14

I liked that Harris lost both her options on where to live at the end. She needs a wake-up call to start trying to work out things with her mother. Darlene's been awful at times but she's really trying now.

I think Dan needs a wake-up call on how to be in a second marriage. Louise brought her furniture to his place because she didn't want it ruined from the renters. Keeping all his grotty stuff and putting hers on the porch does not augur well for their marriage.

Re Aldo's kids: I understand it in terms of plottiness but the counsellor is wrong. When kids start acting out, it's a cue to start addressing their concerns, not to give in to them. Dad's moved on, accept it, work it out with him. Pandering to them when they break the rules is not helping.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's weird that she talked about renting out her place, period, rather than saying she didn't have time to prep it for sale before going on tour, but could still clear it out now and temporarily rent it for some extra income. 

Maybe she's hedging her bet in case the marriage doesn't work. With that family, it's a sensible move.

3 hours ago, izabella said:

Yes, this.  I put this fiasco on Harris.  She was too stubborn or embarrassed or something to tell Darlene she couldn't move in with Aldo and had nowhere to go.  There is no way Darlene would have let her out the door if she knew that. 

All Harris has to do is tell her mom she has nowhere to go.  She could be back in the house any time.

It's to Harris' credit that she didn't tell her mother that she can't go to Aldo's. She wants to reject her mother and be an adult, here's her chance.

I like @Browncoat's idea that Harris will break into Louise's apartment and stay there.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I like @Browncoat's idea that Harris will break into Louise's apartment and stay there.

Maybe Louise can rent it to her! (Though that would also mean Darlene knowing she didn't move in with Aldo so maybe they work something out after she's found squatting...)

• Love 10

I know the family betting on an outcome of the fight between Harris and Darlene was supposed to be funny but I did not laugh. Enjoying emotional abuse and conflict is this family's main problem - well, apart from an inability to make good life choices and handle money. But somehow they all seem connected 🤷‍♀️

Nick is likeable but he was in way over his head. He did not come off as particularly wise by stepping into a family conflict of people he knew practically nothing about. That's a job for family mediation.

The furniture plot was not working for me either - we all know that none of Louise's stuff will make it into that house because *iconic set*

• Love 13
1 minute ago, MissLucas said:

I know the family betting on an outcome of the fight between Harris and Darlene was supposed to be funny but I did not laugh. Enjoying emotional abuse and conflict is this family's main problem - well, apart from an inability to make good life choices and handle money. But somehow they all seem connected 🤷‍♀️

Nick is likeable but he was in way over his head. He did not come off as particularly wise by stepping into a family conflict of people he knew practically nothing about. That's a job for family mediation.

The furniture plot was not working for me either - we all know that none of Louise's stuff will make it into that house because *iconic set*

I do hope they make the bedroom Louise's though. Complete makeover. And I hope she has better taste than Roseanne's hodgepodge crapola aesthetic.

• Love 15