Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Let’s All Push Our Hands Together for the Stew Train and the Conners's Furniture

Pallas
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Re Aldo's kids: I understand it in terms of plottiness but the counsellor is wrong. When kids start acting out, it's a cue to start addressing their concerns, not to give in to them. Dad's moved on, accept it, work it out with him. Pandering to them when they break the rules is not helping.

Agreed. That being said, moving your 19 y/o "girlfriend" that you haven't been dating very long into a house with two unstable kids is not a good idea, even if it is seen as pandering. I don't recall what happened to their mother, if she was married to Aldo, and how long she hasn't been around (or died?) but those kids obviously need their dad's full attention right now.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

The furniture plot was not working for me either - we all know that none of Louise's stuff will make it into that house because *iconic set*

Right? There's no way that couch is going anywhere.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Agreed. That being said, moving your 19 y/o "girlfriend" that you haven't been dating very long into a house with two unstable kids is not a good idea, even if it is seen as pandering. I don't recall what happened to their mother, if she was married to Aldo, and how long she hasn't been around (or died?) but those kids obviously need their dad's full attention right now.

Aldo said something about the kids hoping their parents would reconcile so I assume the mom is alive. If not t h at could be even more interesting.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I don't recall what happened to their mother,

Per the Halloween episode (when Darlene asks Harris why she's playing stepmother to these creepy children and where their actual mother is ["I'm guessing, hiding?"]), she's addicted to drugs and isn't allowed to watch them.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Annber03 said:

So, interesting ending with Harris there. She can't stay with Aldo, and now she isn't with Darlene and the others, so...where is she going to go, then?

Maybe she can crash at the hardware store with Ben.

20 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Nick is interesting. I like him and his interaction with Darlene, their teasing banter was cute and fun. But yeah, clearly his advice to her about how to improve her life and relationships may need some work, or she may need to look elsewhere for help. 

Darlene's been on some sort of journey seeking spirituality all season.  We'll see if it goes anywhere.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Per the Halloween episode (when Darlene asks Harris why she's playing stepmother to these creepy children and where their actual mother is ["I'm guessing, hiding?"]), she's addicted to drugs and isn't allowed to watch them.

Thanks. I knew it was addressed but couldn't remember, and Google wasn't helpful. I wasn't prepared for how defensive of Aldo I've become but I think Harris is proving to be an unreliable narriator becuase she is so angry with her mother and is manipulating the situation to fit what she thinks should happen without giving a thought to how it impacts others. She did something similar when she wanted to quit her job and live in the protest camp with her rich boyfriend (or was it "boyfriend").

Should she have to pay rent to live in her grandfathers house because of how financially irresponsible the elders in the family are? It's not her fault but that is the hand she has been delt and if she doesn't like it she can move out. Renting Louise's condo would be a good solution, if she was being charged fair market rent. It would also solve the issue of where Louise's furniture would go.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Renting Louise's condo would be a good solution, if she was being charged fair market rent. It would also solve the issue of where Louise's furniture would go.

Louise should negotiate and make Harris take the old furniture to the condo, so Louise can move her furniture into the house.  Then the family can go hang out at the condo on their beloved old couches, while Louise and Dan have the house to themselves.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Okay, I haven't watched my recording yet, but as far as the two fridge's is concerned. Wouldn't you put the sketchier one in the garage for extra storage and the nicer one in the kitchen? I only had one kid and we had a garagerator for beverages and extra freezer space. Especially because my kitchen is too small for a large capacity fridge. 

They already have a fridge in the garage, and I'm pretty sure it's the old brown fridge that was in the kitchen from the original show's run. But they could still replace that one with whichever of Dan's or Louise's is older. In any case, I think she should've left her fridge at her place, lol.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Jillybean said:

How does Darlene keep getting guys? They aren't losers either -- well, not until they hook up with Darlene. 

Because Sara Gilbert is the executive producer and can therefore cast the hottest guys for herself.

No, seriously, I was too lazy/tired to say anything here last night, and even after nearly 24 hours have passed, I STILL found myself only wanting to ask that very question, and you saved me the time! Thank you.

But yeah, Darlene's personality is absolutely rancid; ain't no way a cutie like Nick would give her the time of day if Sara Gilbert weren't there to make it so.

(And it's for that reason, despite the blatant disrespect towards her mother, that I can't be too upset with Harris over her behavior; THAT'S how much I hate Darlene right now.) 

7 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

The privilege of being a lead character.

That too. 

• Love 7

Thanks. I knew it was addressed but couldn't remember, and Google wasn't helpful. I wasn't prepared for how defensive of Aldo I've become but I think Harris is proving to be an unreliable narriator becuase she is so angry with her mother and is manipulating the situation to fit what she thinks should happen without giving a thought to how it impacts others. 

Agreed. I don't even remember Aldo asking her to move in. Don't we just have Harris's word for that?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Agreed. I don't even remember Aldo asking her to move in. Don't we just have Harris's word for that?

We saw it happen.  Darlene brought it up to the two of them, thinking it would scare Aldo off and that would piss Harris off, but he was all in.

Because he's an idiot.  He's been dating a teenager for about five minutes, has two of the most fucked-up kids in America living with him full time - because they have a mom who can't be with them unsupervised due to her addiction-induced behavior - and decides, yeah, that would be a great idea, move on in!

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

We saw it happen.  Darlene brought it up to the two of them, thinking it would scare Aldo off and that would piss Harris off, but he was all in.

Because he's an idiot.  He's been dating a teenager for about five minutes, has two of the most fucked-up kids in America living with him full time - because they have a mom who can't be with them unsupervised due to her addiction-induced behavior - and decides, yeah, that would be a great idea, move on in!

Good to know. I only saw about ten minutes of the previous's week's episode. We keep forgetting to watch...

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I do hope they make the bedroom Louise's though. Complete makeover. And I hope she has better taste than Roseanne's hodgepodge crapola aesthetic.

I definitely agree with you on that. From what I've seen I think Louise has better taste, but we'll have to see what happens.

• Love 5

I hope Harris moves in with DJ so we can get a glimpse of his home life with his wife and daughter, but I doubt it will happen.

The furniture storyline was idiotic, for all of the logistical reasons that have been mentioned already. I'll be generous and give them a pass due to Katey's accident though, since I assume it was originally planned that Louise would be a bigger part of the negotiations about what pieces would stay/go in the house. And just to be clear, the sofa and chair by the fireplace are not from the original set, so I'm completely fine switching them out if Louise has nicer things, as long as the afghan blanket stays.

Totally agree that someone like Nick would not go for sourpuss Darlene, especially after seeing how nasty she is to her daughter. At this point, I just feel insulted that the writers think we're stupid enough to believe that an endless string of decent guys are lining up for Darlene. I haven't seen this actor before, but I was convinced he was another Savage brother, since he looked like a combo of Fred and Ben to me, and Fred is already connected to the show. Guess I was wrong!

It's so weird to me that this show consistently omits a main character for an entire episode. This week was Mark's turn I suppose, which was disappointing because it would have been interesting to get his perspective on Harris's situation. Or, you know, get any inkling about what kind of sibling relationship they have, because after all these years I still don't know.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Totally agree that someone like Nick would not go for sourpuss Darlene, especially after seeing how nasty she is to her daughter. At this point, I just feel insulted that the writers think we're stupid enough to believe that an endless string of decent guys are lining up for Darlene. I haven't seen this actor before, but I was convinced he was another Savage brother, since he looked like a combo of Fred and Ben to me, and Fred is already connected to the show. Guess I was wrong!

You're not alone, because I couldn't help but notice his resemblance to Fred, either. I knew it WASN'T Fred, of course, but the resemblance was kind of eerie. 

• Love 6

I can only see Louise as a fantasy character. She's a fit, attractive, talented woman who appeared financially stable with her own home, and we are to believe she was so into Dan that she happily moved into a poverty situation, and is all good living with his grown dysfunctional kids with all their fights and selfishness. She wants to move her nice sofa there but the kids say no, so it's put on the porch to get ruined, and she just laughs it off. Uh huh.  

And I agree it's also unbelievable that these attractive guys with decent personalities would be into scrubby, acerbic, downer Darlene. ...sure, Jan. 

• Love 20
6 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I can only see Louise as a fantasy character. She's a fit, attractive, talented woman who appeared financially stable with her own home, and we are to believe she was so into Dan that she happily moved into a poverty situation, and is all good living with his grown dysfunctional kids with all their fights and selfishness. She wants to move her nice sofa there but the kids say no, so it's put on the porch to get ruined, and she just laughs it off. Uh huh.  

I have trouble with this, too.  After how many years of independence, I also think she would struggle being in a house constantly full of people, especially a house that doesn't have any of her things, her memories, in it.  She's far too blase about her possessions having no place in that house, and about her couch being left outside to rot.

If I were her, I'd want the condo just for a place to get away for some peace and quiet, and a choice of tv shows and snacks, and all the time in the world for a luxurious bath.  Maybe she and Dan should keep it and stay there when they want privacy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, izabella said:

I have trouble with this, too.  After how many years of independence, I also think she would struggle being in a house constantly full of people, especially a house that doesn't have any of her things, her memories, in it.  She's far too blase about her possessions having no place in that house, and about her couch being left outside to rot.

Especially in a house full of losers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Yeah, it's hard to figure that one out; she can't be blinded by her high school crush all these years later.  I understand why she's in love with Dan and wants a relationship with him, but marrying him and moving in with him, I don't get.

Hopefully once she actually moves in, we might start to see some realism from everyone, including her, as everyone acclimates.  Adjusting to living with a partner is enough of a process - ever, but especially after having your own place for so long - but doing it in a house packed to the rafters with a multi-generational family - particularly this family - is on another level.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

just logged in to say I was hoping some  where along the way Dan might realize his dependence on alcohol when Becky went into rehab. All we've ever seen is his retreat into the garage when things he didn't want to deal with rose to the surface.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 8

On 11/17/2021 at 10:53 PM, ams1001 said:

Yeah, that was odd; rentals usually come with the appliances, at least. And did she really expect to just bring all her stuff into the house and replace all of Dan's? (They can't get rid of the couch!!) Also, they have facetime; he can still take her furniture shopping from a distance.

Though I'm pretty sure Scotch Guard isn't going to save the couch on the porch from the weather. Or critters.

Most rentals come with appliances but not all. And I thought this was a condo? 

On 11/18/2021 at 12:24 AM, bobalina said:

Louise said it was her condo tonight and she was gonna rent it out

That's what I remember - she's going to rent out her condo. And I was also wondering if that will really happen because there will be more income coming into the house and it will be hard to justify living the way they do. 

On 11/18/2021 at 6:08 AM, Browncoat said:

I think Aldo never really wanted Harris to move in. He just got caught up in the moment and felt he couldn’t get out of it.  I suspect if she hadn’t jumped the gun, he’d put her off for some reason (most likely involving the kids) forever.

My speculation is that Harris is going to go break into Louise’s condo and set up there.  At least until it’s rented out or this storyline resolves with her coming back.

I think the same thing about Aldo not wanting Harris to move in. Not every dating couple does that and it seemed rushed. 

On 11/18/2021 at 9:31 AM, theredhead77 said:

MMV, obviously. In my entire rental experience I lived in two apartments that came with a refrigerator. They always included the oven/range but a refrigerator and microwave were for the nicer, newer complexes. The last place I rented was BYO Refrigerator and washer / dryer. I offered to leave them, for free, since I wasn't going to haul them to Georgia and then landlord said no. They didn't want to deal with any maintenance requests for issues. It may not be common in IL but it does happen.

I agree that he may not pay her back and may have tried to put her off forever, but after seeing him put his kids first, and hearing about their serious issues, I'm reserving judgement on him until I learn more. As I mentioned upthread, we have no idea if Harris is offering to help with the kids and give him money, as a way to insert herself more into his life, or if he is asking for her help. Their relationship could have started as a hook-up (problematic due to the age gap) and Harris manipulated the situation to turn it into a relationship Aldo didn't really want as a way to escape her chaotic homelife. I could be, and am probably wrong, but until I learn more I'm not going to rake him over the coals as a user.

I have rented in several places over the years and a few didn't have refrigerators. I think Louise has a condo and may have been able to rent the condo with the refrigerator but it would make sense for the Conners to get rid of the old refrigerator and get an upgrade. The kitchen refrigerator can move to the garage and the garage refrigerator can move to the trash LOL.

I'm also reserving judgment on Aldo. Harris is just 19 and infatuated with an older guy. I don't think they're even on the same page about the relationship. But the way he spoke to Harris about not moving in was upfront and respectful. 

On 11/18/2021 at 10:00 AM, theredhead77 said:

I forgot to mention that if Louise had nicer kitchen appliances (such as the refrigerator and microwave) it would make sense to use those insetad of their old, breaking down appliances. I get not wanting to replace the furntiure in the primary living spaces and do love that their compromise was making the bedroom theirs. 

I hated seeing Louise in that bedroom so I'm glad she spoke up about that. But I think there needed to be a little more compromise. It would be different if Dan were against moving Louise's furniture. But the rest of those people should have no say. 

On 11/18/2021 at 10:46 AM, ams1001 said:

Is David still in town? Maybe Harris can stay with him (he can remain off screen if JG isn't available). If she stays with Jackie (or DJ) then Darlene will certainly find out so I assume she won't want to do that (because she won't want Darlene to know she was probably right). They don't seem to even talk to David anymore.

Though I was a bit annoyed with Darlene telling her to leave now if she wasn't planning to move in with Aldo for another month. Darlene shouldn't assume she can move in earlier than planned (and I got the impression she knew Harris wasn't moving immediately). Fine if she thinks it's better to not have Harris living there but she should have sat her down and discussed it, not just hand her two suitcases and shove her out the door.

I immediately thought Jackie/Bev but living with an off-screen David is a great idea!

Harris behaved horribly. And it felt like Darlene just wanted to push her off and not deal with her.  Having a random stranger facilitate that pushing exercise doesn't count as trying. 

On 11/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, Brn2bwild said:

In an episode like this, it feels like having Roseanne there would have made a difference.  During that mother-daughter fight scene, she would have shouted some obvious (and likely hurtful) truths at Harris.  It might not have helped, but Darlene's "it's all my fault/I don't want to destroy our relationship" isn't the way to deal with the situation, either.

I thought the jokes from the family were funny but the situation was hard to laugh at. Becky and especially Jackie were disappointing. 

And yes, Darlene telling her 19-year old daughter to leave and packing her suitcases was awful! She goes back and forth trying (albeit, unsuccessfully) to make things work with romantic partners but then packed her daughter's bags? 

On 11/18/2021 at 11:11 AM, peacheslatour said:

Neither was packing her suitcases and kicking her out. That was heartless. No wonder Harris is so messed up. There is no continuity in her life except chaos and dysfunction.

Yep. Mark's sunny disposition is an anomaly. The way Harris behaves is much more expected coming from  

On 11/18/2021 at 11:18 AM, bobalina said:

Unless I missed something Darlene didn't know Harris had nowhere to go. Harris should have told her.

I don't know why Darlene assumed Harris would be moving in with Aldo when she was planning to do it in the near future - not right away. 

On 11/18/2021 at 11:21 AM, izabella said:

Yes, this.  I put this fiasco on Harris.  She was too stubborn or embarrassed or something to tell Darlene she couldn't move in with Aldo and had nowhere to go.  There is no way Darlene would have let her out the door if she knew that. 

All Harris has to do is tell her mom she has nowhere to go.  She could be back in the house any time.

Or maybe she's hurt? That's how I read it. Aldo rejected her and she was disappointed. But then to come home and your mother has packed your things, even after you told her you weren't leaving yet. Harris is a legal adult but she's also a hurt teenager whose mother doesn't want her there.

On 11/18/2021 at 1:07 PM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Going on a first date with someone to meet their entire extended family and try to mediate a disagreement between them and their daughter is so many levels past thirsty that I'm not even sure there is a name for it.

That was horrible. No words for Darlene inviting a nonprofessional stranger into her family situation like that. 

On 11/18/2021 at 1:15 PM, Jillybean said:

How does Darlene keep getting guys? They aren't losers either -- well, not until they hook up with Darlene. 

I feel like this show spends a lot of time on Darlene's love life with guys who aren't so bad. Until they are LOL.. 

Edited by love2lovebadtv
  • Love 5
On 11/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, joanne3482 said:

Officially it is Andrew Leeds. If you watched Bones he was Christopher Pelant, a serial killer so that's what I thought the whole time I watched the episode. 

He was also Zoey's brother in "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist."

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

That's another way in which the Dan character is unrecognizable. The Conners were working poor, but aside from some husband-ly laziness about installing bookcases or a dishwasher for Roseanne, Dan took care of things. He had that workshop in the garage, slaved over his boat and motorcycles, worked on their cars, fixed anything around their house or Jackie's or his Mom's, or Crystal's ... that man is going to leave good furniture outside? 

And I'm not finding the evil children storyline remotely funny. There was a running gag about DJ growing up to be a serial killer back in the day, but he was just weird. These kids are presented as actually being seriously disturbed and I guess we're supposed to find it... amusing?  If they wanted to go there they could have gotten there more organically, with everybody thinking the kids were just weird until something awful happened, and the fallout from it.  But here it's simultaneously a gag AND a plot device to get Harris out of a plotline. 

I just wish somebody in charge would get the writers and cast together and make them binge watch the original series (up until the lottery). Because it feels like a good percentage of them have never watched the show, and the cast need some serious reminders. Lecy's Becky was never flaky.  Jackie was not a lunatic. Dan was not a wisecracking family-insulting shlub. He and Roseanne would make JOKES about being poor hicks (especially to mortify their children) but they did not relentlessly refer to themselves and their family as losers.

So much of this current show is the family bragging about being multi-generational losers. And I wonder what we're supposed to DO with that. Find it funny? When that kind of awful realization would creep into the old show it would be poignant, because it seemed that they could never get ahead long enough to feel secure... but it was the opposite of funny. It was heartbreaking, but then they'd pull us away with an absurd take on the situation that honored the sadness but still made us laugh. That was the magic and genius of it. And maybe it can't be recaptured, but the current show doesn't even seem to be using the same ingredients and recipes, let alone executing them well. 

• Love 12

I honestly thought they couldn't make Harris any worse than the day she yelled at Dan and threw her paycheck at him. Boy howdy, that was a failure of imagination on my part.

Harris shoving her birth control pills at Darlene and saying "Have fun worrying" was a new low. It was sick. I know that mindset is real among part of the population but watching it play out on screen was awful. Then Harris pushing Darlene to the floor, I'm sorry but when your kid turns violent it's time to look at other option. Of course it reminded me of when Jackie slapped Darlene.

I wonder where Harris will end up staying. Maybe Ben will let her sleep in the back of the store.

All these kids on the show can't seem to stop growing. Mary's well on her way to young womanhood. Where's Gina?

• Love 6
On 11/18/2021 at 7:46 AM, ams1001 said:

Is David still in town? Maybe Harris can stay with him (he can remain off screen if JG isn't available). If she stays with Jackie (or DJ) then Darlene will certainly find out so I assume she won't want to do that (because she won't want Darlene to know she was probably right). They don't seem to even talk to David anymore.

Maybe she could stay with Ben in the hardware store.

• Love 2

And I'm not finding the evil children storyline remotely funny. There was a running gag about DJ growing up to be a serial killer back in the day, but he was just weird.

It was a little more than that. It was heavily implied that he was killing and torturing animals. That IS one of the predilections  of serial killers. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, marceline said:

I honestly thought they couldn't make Harris any worse than the day she yelled at Dan and threw her paycheck at him. Boy howdy, that was a failure of imagination on my part.

Harris shoving her birth control pills at Darlene and saying "Have fun worrying" was a new low. It was sick. I know that mindset is real among part of the population but watching it play out on screen was awful. Then Harris pushing Darlene to the floor, I'm sorry but when your kid turns violent it's time to look at other option. Of course it reminded me of when Jackie slapped Darlene.

I recall Roseanne yanking Harris to the sink and shoving her head into it and turning on the faucet, during the first season of the reboot.  Violence is learned.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Or maybe she's hurt? That's how I read it. Aldo rejected her and she was disappointed. But then to come home and your mother has packed your things, even after you told her you weren't leaving yet. Harris is a legal adult but she's also a hurt teenager whose mother doesn't want her there.

I so agree with this. She is a hurt teenager. She may legally be an adult but everyone knows teenagers are morons. Darlene is supposed to love her daughter but she is not teaching love to her child, she's teaching that it's okay to dump her in the street when everything about Harris's actions are screaming for guidance and understanding. They are both acting like immature brats but only one of them has all the power and only one of them is an actual adult. And that is Darlene.

• Love 4
On 11/19/2021 at 1:44 AM, Cherpumple said:

I hope Harris moves in with DJ so we can get a glimpse of his home life with his wife and daughter, but I doubt it will happen.

The furniture storyline was idiotic, for all of the logistical reasons that have been mentioned already. I'll be generous and give them a pass due to Katey's accident though, since I assume it was originally planned that Louise would be a bigger part of the negotiations about what pieces would stay/go in the house. And just to be clear, the sofa and chair by the fireplace are not from the original set, so I'm completely fine switching them out if Louise has nicer things, as long as the afghan blanket stays.

It's so weird to me that this show consistently omits a main character for an entire episode. This week was Mark's turn I suppose, which was disappointing because it would have been interesting to get his perspective on Harris's situation. Or, you know, get any inkling about what kind of sibling relationship they have, because after all these years I still don't know.

18 hours ago, TVbitch said:

And I agree it's also unbelievable that these attractive guys with decent personalities would be into scrubby, acerbic, downer Darlene. ...sure, Jan. 

17 hours ago, izabella said:

If I were her, I'd want the condo just for a place to get away for some peace and quiet, and a choice of tv shows and snacks, and all the time in the world for a luxurious bath.  Maybe she and Dan should keep it and stay there when they want privacy.

All of this - In fact I think the whole show has become idiotic anymore.  Every episode it only gets worse.  Everything is completely preposterous and unbelievable.  Who is coming up with these inane ideas, Sarah Gilbert?

Louise is completely unbelievable as a character.  I'm not feeling anything about her.  She is like a caricature by this point.  Who waits until they've already gotten married and moved in to decide what to do with their old apartment?  Oh, and here's a Pod with my furniture while we're at it.  Then, predictably the freeloaders complain about losing their horrible furniture and Dan caves in, like no one could have seen that coming a billion miles away!  It's so bad I almost can't believe they'd ever make this more realistic, like with her not liking how Dan gives into those losers.  There is only so much flexibility we can believe from her.  And being sentimental doesn't explain the kids' pathological attachment to the shit in that place.  

The irony is that Harris is spot on about her mother being a pathetic loser.  Too bad she can't see that about herself.  And it's insulting to the audience already that any man, let alone the relatively with it, good looking guys like Ben and Nick would consistently hit on Darlene like no tomorrow.  She is so toxic at this point I want to look away like it's a bad accident on the highway.  The only realistic thing is that she will likely poison this next relationship just like she did the last one.  Why should anything change?  Is this guy going to help her to some new level of self awareness and spiritual enlightenment?  That would be another impossible-to-believe development!

I know I've said it before, but I really don't know why I'm watching this anymore.  I really have no attachment to the former series as I rarely watched it back in the day.  I liked the actors from other shows and movies but that is wearing thin and not enough to make me loyal to this farce.  One thing I know from what I did watch of the former series is that this entire show is like a caricature of that one.  You could almost believe they have the 19 year old interns writing it, and they're secretly making fun of the show in the process.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

And it's insulting to the audience already that any man, let alone the relatively with it, good looking guys like Ben and Nick would consistently hit on Darlene like no tomorrow.

Maybe I missed a line, but I was also bothered by Darlene telling Nick, "Okay, we can date,"

He was kinda flirty but...I don't recall him actually asking her out. 

• Love 6

I know I've said it before, but I really don't know why I'm watching this anymore.  I really have no attachment to the former series as I rarely watched it back in the day.  I liked the actors from other shows and movies but that is wearing thin and not enough to make me loyal to this farce.  One thing I know from what I did watch of the former series is that this entire show is like a caricature of that one.  You could almost believe they have the 19 year old interns writing it, and they're secretly making fun of the show in the process.

My husband and I were discussing this last night. We decided it's nothing more than nostalgia. The old sets are comforting and we used to love Jackie, Dan and the crew but now, half the time we forget to watch it at all and then when we do, it's just meh. 

• Love 5

Does anyone find it odd that as soon as the non-honeymoon is over, Louise is back on a tour bus when at least I had the impression she'd given all that up, before she married Dan, and the happy couple was contemplating taking a road trip themselves?  Now she's bailing on her condo, furniture, and husband.

Also, as I predicted, we've never again seen that dog Dan was going to foster as a favor to Neville, Jackie's veterinarian brother, and make a few bucks in the bargain.

Geena is nowhere in sight and she's been back from the Middle East quite a while now.  David is nowhere, as if he has joined Jerry Garcia, Crystal, and the rest of the MIAs.  Yet they throw one new character after another at us, most of whom are besotted by the sparkling personality of Darlene.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Maybe I missed a line, but I was also bothered by Darlene telling Nick, "Okay, we can date,"

He was kinda flirty but...I don't recall him actually asking her out. 

I'd read an article about the actor signing on to do a few episodes as "Darlene's latest love interest", so I knew that's what they intended, but their interaction didn't at all play that way to me.  Their interaction at the bookstore didn't give me the sense he wanted to date her, it seemed like he's just really into how he's changed his life, particularly his relationship with his daughter, via these techniques, and likes helping customers do the same. 

And why he'd want to date her after seeing the family in all its dysfunctional glory is beyond me.

Nor do I understand why Darlene would want to date anyone right now.  She's still processing the break-up of a very serious relationship, she's got a kid at home who's having a tough time transitioning to high school, she has a teenager who's making stupid choices, she has a job with responsibilities she's still settling into, and she thinks there's something fundamentally wrong with her approach to life so is searching for a healthier way of handling things.  Adding a new dude to the mix seems like a good idea?!

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

It is pretty funny that all these reasonably attractive men only have eyes for Darlene.   But what's even crazier is that they're all ok with everything going on in the Conner house.   How many episodes now where they're physically fighting in the living room with company over.   I don't get the Dan and Louise relationship at all.   Why is Louise so crazy about dan?  Why does she want to live in that house at all?   I feel like we should have had some kind of explanation for that.   Normal people would take one look at the bitching and screaming and fighting and run screaming. It's also extremely unrealistic that Louise is just cool with dan parking her stuff on the porch because his grown kids come before her.   The entire Louise character is just there to be supportive and not bat an eye about any of the crap that Dan's loser kids and granddaughter pull.   The only thing I remember her saying is that she wants to be with dan because he's a good guy.   It's worth all of that for the privilege of being with Dan?  

Harris is a nightmare, they should have kicked her ass out a long time ago.  

• Love 9
6 hours ago, lexiexx said:

It is pretty funny that all these reasonably attractive men only have eyes for Darlene.   But what's even crazier is that they're all ok with everything going on in the Conner house.   How many episodes now where they're physically fighting in the living room with company over.   I don't get the Dan and Louise relationship at all.   Why is Louise so crazy about dan?  Why does she want to live in that house at all?   I feel like we should have had some kind of explanation for that.   Normal people would take one look at the bitching and screaming and fighting and run screaming. It's also extremely unrealistic that Louise is just cool with dan parking her stuff on the porch because his grown kids come before her.   The entire Louise character is just there to be supportive and not bat an eye about any of the crap that Dan's loser kids and granddaughter pull.   The only thing I remember her saying is that she wants to be with dan because he's a good guy.   It's worth all of that for the privilege of being with Dan?  

Harris is a nightmare, they should have kicked her ass out a long time ago.  

Louise wants to be with Dan because she's wanted to have a relationship with him since high school (they were in the same class together along with Roseanne and Jackie they've all known each other for over 40 years) that's why it's been established since season 1. Louise's character being okay with everything including the kids and all it's just how she is, she's laid back and calm, she's her own person and character. As for why she wants to live there because it's where Dan is she's married to him now and loves him very much. 

Spoiler

FYI: This storyline with the furniture and everything isn't over it's going to be continuing into the next new episode on the 1st.

Edited by ESS
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My husband and I were discussing this last night. We decided it's nothing more than nostalgia. The old sets are comforting and we used to love Jackie, Dan and the crew but now, half the time we forget to watch it at all and then when we do, it's just meh.

Same here. I've watched the original series many times over (on re-runs, DVD, and now streaming), but this reboot has zero rewatch value for me. I haven't seen a single episode more than once and when it's over I'll never revisit it. But I'll continue to watch the originals!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ESS said:

Louise wants to be with Dan because she's wanted to have a relationship with him since high school (they were in the same class together along with Roseanne and Jackie they've all known each other for over 40 years) that's why it's been established since season 1. Louise's character being okay with everything including the kids and all it's just how she is, she's laid back and calm, she's her own person and character. As for why she wants to live there because it's where Dan is she's married to him now and loves him very much. 

Yeah I know the background and it still doesn't make sense to me.   So she had a crush on him in high school.  I don't get how that translates to her lifestyle turning into what it is now.  In fact all of the inexplicable behavior on that show could be explained by oh that's just how they are.  All of the men who are dying to date Darlene, Harris acting like she does, Ben's willingness to stay and support the family after she cheated on him, this new guy who doesn't bat an eye at Harris hulking out in the living room and shoving Darlene to the ground, etc.  It's lazy writing in my opinion. 

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Season 2 episode 7, "Slappy Holidays"

Thanks.  This is how little attention I pay to this show.

eta: I', anon violent person,usually, but I think Darlene is  a crap mother who deserved it.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • LOL 2
On 11/20/2021 at 12:55 AM, kassa said:

So much of this current show is the family bragging about being multi-generational losers. And I wonder what we're supposed to DO with that. Find it funny?

I'm having the same problem. I'm all for self-deprecating humor, but a lot of the jokes on this show are awkward and unfunny in a "punching down" sort of way, which is very difficult to get right. I suspect they're trying to go for the "awful people doing awful things" genre, like Seinfeld and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (I think- I've never really watched that show), but it's ending up more like the Big Bang Theory, which purported to be about celebrating nerd/geek culture, but really just made fun of it.

By contrast, I'm thinking about the original episode when Becky and Mark moved into a trailer. Roseanne and Dan were embarrassed and viewed it as a step backwards, but Becky and Mark were thrilled to have a place of their own and excited about making it work in the short term to save up for a better future. There were some funny jokes, and a great interaction with the quirky neighbor (played by Sharon Stone), and it all worked. Becky and Mark didn't feel degraded or humiliated by the move, and Roseanne and Dan made the best of things and found humor in a situation that they didn't really like. It was a good balance.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

When did Jackie hit Darlene?

Darlene had power of attorney for Bev. She had the Lunch Box for rent and Jackie wanted it highly. Darlene said no because it was a bad deal for Bev and there was a chain that was a good deal. Jackie wouldn't back off, verbal fight and Jackie slapped Darlene. Dan took Jackie's side .

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

I was thinking {too much time on my  hands} If Darlene wants to get away from Harris why didn't SHE move out  -- , she had a steady job and she more less fend for herself better than her teenage daughter.

Darlene wasn't trying to get away from Harris, she was trying to let go, be less controlling. And  this family never communicates she didn't know Harris had no where to go.

• Love 5