Type keyword(s) to search

Actors You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't hate him, exactly, but can someone explain why Gerard Butler has a career and keeps getting cast in big movies?  He's a mediocre actor and most of the movies he's been in have been disappointments at best and bombs at worst.

This so much! He's not even pretty to look at, if he's still going to have an acting career. I see him as a big hunk of nothing.

• Love 4
On 12/28/2017 at 11:41 AM, proserpina65 said:

I don't hate him, exactly, but can someone explain why Gerard Butler has a career and keeps getting cast in big movies?  He's a mediocre actor and most of the movies he's been in have been disappointments at best and bombs at worst.

I have been wondering this too. He's not someone I can't stand, but he's not someone I love either. It feels like every couple years, a Butler movie comes out trying to make him "happen" and I have to say, "Again?!"

Is it because of his body and fitness type? Does he have an amazing talent management/agent? Is it a great/nice guy to work with? I know that's a reason Keanu Reeves keeps getting cast, but I haven't heard anything about Butler being exceptional in any way.

On 12/29/2017 at 11:17 AM, Athena said:

I have been wondering this too. He's not someone I can't stand, but he's not someone I love either. It feels like every couple years, a Butler movie comes out trying to make him "happen" and I have to say, "Again?!"

Is it because of his body and fitness type? Does he have an amazing talent management/agent? Is it a great/nice guy to work with? I know that's a reason Keanu Reeves keeps getting cast, but I haven't heard anything about Butler being exceptional in any way.

I think it's because Butler is/has what Hollywood execs think is supposed to appeal to audiences. He's a macho guy, he's handsome to many, he's interested in doing action movies, he won critical acclaim in some smaller movies he did (at least earlier in his career), 300 did pretty well. And you know Hollywood, they love giving second and third and fourth (so on and so forth) chances to white men. I think maybe he's the cheaper and somewhat more socially acceptable Scottish version of Russell Crowe?

I don't get Anna Kendrick's appeal. Too eager music theater types are always off-putting to me, though.

• Love 4

She's a theater gal who can also pull off playing the everywoman "girl next door type" as opposed to a contemporary like Lea Michele. She also looks young for her age, and cute. She might hit some big turbulence though when she's 40 and not so girlishly cute. I don't know if she can transition as well into her 40's like Amy Adams did, who also had the cute young pep typecast going on when she was in her early 30's. (I do like Anna Kendrick but I wouldn't put her on par with Amy Adams, at least not yet.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 12/15/2017 at 2:31 AM, Chas411 said:

I think Rooney comes off like a self important asshole which makes her less appealing. Her sister seems a lot warmer and down to earth.

Kate's been acting since she was a kid. I think she's just a lot more comfortable in front of the camera and doing press because she's been doing this for a decade longer than Rooney. The other thing about the Mara sisters is that they grew up pretty privileged. Their father's family owns the Giants and their mom's family owns the Steelers.

I do think that what bugs me about Rooney is that she is/was pushed as the next Audrey Hepburn (it was REALLY obvious with the styling in Carol) and she just does not have the warmth/charisma for it. It's not really her fault that she gets pushed that way, but if you're trying to make me think of Audrey, who was literally the closest thing to a real-live Disney princess we'll ever get, Rooney just isn't doing it for me.

• Love 1
On 12/28/2017 at 11:41 AM, proserpina65 said:

I will always have a soft spot for Gerard Butler because of the movie Dear Frankie.  I haven’t enjoyed him in any other film that I can think of.   

• Love 2
15 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I do think that what bugs me about Rooney is that she is/was pushed as the next Audrey Hepburn (it was REALLY obvious with the styling in Carol) and she just does not have the warmth/charisma for it. It's not really her fault that she gets pushed that way, but if you're trying to make me think of Audrey, who was literally the closest thing to a real-live Disney princess we'll ever get, Rooney just isn't doing it for me.

Tom and Lorenzo call her the Audreybot, like an actual robot trying to impersonate Audrey Hepburn.

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2017/05/rooney-mara-in-christian-dior-mara-at-the-cannes-film-festival-2017/

I won’t go into my reasons for all of these just so I don’t just repeat what everyone else said. I’ll split them between the women and the men. As long as relevance/star power doesn’t matter, here goes...

Lena Dunham

Kat Dennings

Gwyneth Paltrow

Angelina Jolie

Natalie Portman

Cameron Diaz

Chloe Sevigny

Sami Gayle (In case you don’t know of her, she portrays Nicky on Blue Bloods. I cannot stand the way she speaks, especially when she uses that vocal fry a lot of young actresses like to use.)

Julia Roberts

Kristen Stewart

Rebel Wilson

Anna Kendrick

Rashida Jones (No matter her role, her characters always come off as condescending, bored, or annoyed.)

Rachel Bilson (I actually forgot all about her and how much I couldn’t stand her trying to act, but then I saw a Chapstick commercial and it all came back to me.)

The Gyllenhaals

Clooney/Pitt/Damon/Affleck

Tobey Maguire

Robert Pattinson

Channing Tatum

Ashton Kutcher

Main cast of Will & Grace

Edited by MissGradenko
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MissGradenko said:

Rebel Wilson (If she wasn’t obese or didn’t have a British accent, she wouldn’t be as famous as she is now.)

She's Australian!

• Love 3

Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson, get on my threepenny bits!

Ford just doesn't know how to smile or be happy - he is a miserable git, and not the most friendly of people off-screen either.

Gibson - dreadful actor and horrible human being - hates nearly everyone, especially ex-girlfriends.  

• Love 4
On 1/14/2018 at 2:05 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I'd put Grace Kelly up there, too, and not just because she got to be a REAL princess. ;)

• Love 3

I think trying to set up any modern-day actor as the "next So-and-So" is a recipe for disaster (think poor Julia Ormond). Besides, real stars are never "the next" or "another"... they're original. They're themselves, they have their own light and charisma, and no one can add or detract from that. There will never be another, say, Audrey Hepburn (again, poor Julia Ormond), and comparing Rooney Mara to her or anyone is a mistake. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I think trying to set up any modern-day actor as the "next So-and-So" is a recipe for disaster (think poor Julia Ormond). Besides, real stars are never "the next" or "another"... they're original. They're themselves, they have their own light and charisma, and no one can add or detract from that. There will never be another, say, Audrey Hepburn (again, poor Julia Ormond), and comparing Rooney Mara to her or anyone is a mistake. 

It really fucked over late 90's actor Brad Rowe, who of course got constant Brad Pitt comparisons but he was never able to find the role that got him out of being typecast as the pretty boy. He DID get cast in a gay film called Shelter, but that really didn't do much for him in terms of getting people to take him seriously. Then the looks started to dim a tad, and he hasn't worked in  a couple of years.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Comparisons are pretty common, though.  I agree that they're kind of dumb because most actors are originals.  Once an actor or actress starts to succeed on their own, I've noticed the comparisons tend to stop until some new actor is being billed as the "next FormerlyNewStar."

I think Rooney is only being compared because of her fashion choices but I could be wrong on that.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think Rooney is only being compared because of her fashion choices but I could be wrong on that.

Her team has to be playing it up. They probably saw the Audrey comparison or however thin it was, and started to aggressively style her with it. It's perplexed me because Rooney never smiles on the red carpet either. 

13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

It really fucked over late 90's actor Brad Rowe, who of course got constant Brad Pitt comparisons but he was never able to find the role that got him out of being typecast as the pretty boy. He DID get cast in a gay film called Shelter, but that really didn't do much for him in terms of getting people to take him seriously. Then the looks started to dim a tad, and he hasn't worked in  a couple of years.

He's moved on into public policy and advocacy work, he founded his own public policy company.

[rant on] I REALLY fucking hate Lea Michele. She was such a bitch on the set of Glee, to the other actresses, Dianna Agron and Naya Rivera. She was also a diva on set to multiple other people, some of the other actors have come out and said.

But the reason I can't stand this little twit the most, is because she used Cory Monteith's suicide/death, as a way to play the 'grieving widow' so to speak, all over social media and to anyone and everyone who saw her.

From the moment the guy was announced dead, she was all over social media using the woe is me, poor me, act. Constantly talking about Cory and how much she missed him, always posting pictures of him. There's a difference between grieving and missing a deceased loved one, and using that person's death for attention. And this bitch did the latter.

I don't know of a single person, or at least a single celeb that would want to be in the limelight after finding out that their significant other had died. But yet, there she was all over Twitter and other sites going on and on and begging for attention. Makes me wanna puke. The bitch is still doing that today, and it's been a few years since the poor guy died.

Let him rest in peace and stop using him for exposure you stupid hoe. [/rant off]

Edited by Laina
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Laina said:

[rant on] I REALLY fucking hate Lea Michele. She was such a bitch on the set of Glee, to the other actresses, Dianna Agron and Naya Rivera. She was also a diva on set to multiple other people, some of the other actors have come out and said.

But the reason I can't stand this little twit the most, is because she used Cory Monteith's suicide/death, as a way to play the 'grieving widow' so to speak, all over social media and to anyone and everyone who saw her.

From the moment the guy was announced dead, she was all over social media using the woe is me, poor me, act. Constantly talking about Cory and how much she missed him, always posting pictures of him. There's a difference between grieving and missing a deceased loved one, and using that person's death for attention. And this bitch did the latter.

I don't know of a single person, or at least a single celeb that would want to be in the limelight after finding out that their significant other had died. But yet, there she was all over Twitter and other sites going on and on and begging for attention. Makes me wanna puke. The bitch is still doing that today, and it's been a few years since the poor guy died.

Let him rest in peace and stop using him for exposure you stupid hoe. [/rant off]

Yes, yes, yes! I couldn’t have said it better.

• Love 2

It just irritates me how disrespectful she is, to Cory, to his family and friends, to his fans. With constantly mentioning him and posting pictures of him. To be honest, I'm not even a fan of Cory. I don't dislike him or hate him or anything, but I just felt meh, about his character Finn, which is the only thing I've ever seen him in.

With that said, it's not about whether or not I like his character, or him. It's about being respectful to someone who's died. And Lea Michele hasn't been respectful to anyone. Someone needs to put this woman in her place. Namely Cory's Mom, should tell the bitch where to go.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 2:52 PM, Silver Raven said:

He's moved on into public policy and advocacy work, he founded his own public policy company.

Good for him. He could have chosen to become one of those Hallmark Channel guys where he plays the perfect boyfriend/husband type (and he did do movies like that) but it sounds like he wanted to do something else, and did it.

I googled it, and wow you guys weren't kidding about how Rooney Mara never smiles on the red carpet. And yeah, I just don't see anything particular special about her looks. She's just a skinny woman with dark hair and blue eyes. Even glammed up there's nothing distinctive or memorable about her looks.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Laina said:

It just irritates me how disrespectful she is, to Cory, to his family and friends, to his fans. With constantly mentioning him and posting pictures of him. To be honest, I'm not even a fan of Cory. I don't dislike him or hate him or anything, but I just felt meh, about his character Finn, which is the only thing I've ever seen him in.

With that said, it's not about whether or not I like his character, or him. It's about being respectful to someone who's died. And Lea Michele hasn't been respectful to anyone. Someone needs to put this woman in her place. Namely Cory's Mom, should tell the bitch where to go.

Agreed. I mean, it’s one thing to grieve but at some point, someone who wasn’t so self-absorbed would let his family have some peace. I’m sure it wasn’t easy for them to keep hearing about how much his death affected HER. Imagine losing a loved one and having their spouse or significant other talking about it for the next several years to every single person they encounter. It would open up the same wound again and again. Of course, I don’t know Cory’s family so who knows how they truly feel about Lea, but I have some guesses lol.... It’s just been something Lea made all about her again and again, and it’s sickening how she exploited her boyfriend’s death for extra attention.

Oh and I didn’t dislike or hate Monteith either; Lea Michele could have done the same thing had it been someone else she was dating. It’s all about how much press she can get for herself.

Edited by MissGradenko
On 11/5/2017 at 3:32 PM, Ohwell said:

The Gyllenhaals.  Both Jake and Maggie.  It's not that I can't stand them, it just that I don't understand why they get parts that I think should go to other actors.  Neither one is that attractive, and I've never seen them in anything that I would say was great acting.  The only memorable role I recall is Jake in Brokeback Mountain.  I think she won an award for Sherry Baby (I'm too lazy to look it up) but I thought her acting was just ok. 

There’s something off-putting about both of them. I can’t figure out what it is. Maybe it’s their shared lack of emotional range, I don’t know. I don’t get mad seeing them in a movie, it’s more of a feeling of disappointment. 

• Love 1
On 12/22/2017 at 0:42 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Seeing Pitch Perfect 3 ads reminds me how much I absolutely hate Rebel Wilson. Something about her drives me up the wall.

Same here! She’s not funny. All she has going for herself is the accent and using her weight as a comedic crutch. So many people find her hilarious, and I just don’t get it.

• Love 2
On 1/19/2018 at 1:23 AM, methodwriter85 said:

He DID get cast in a gay film called Shelter, but that really didn't do much for him in terms of getting people to take him seriously.

In fairness, Shelter is basically the Citizen Kane of gay independent cinema, and he did quite well in it.

6 hours ago, starri said:

In fairness, Shelter is basically the Citizen Kane of gay independent cinema, and he did quite well in it.

Right, but it wasn't the career boost for either him or Trevor Wright the way it should have been. (Trevor Wright hasn't had an IMDB credit since 2012.)

Anyway, not surprised to hear that about Rebel. I love that the bitch had the gall to lie about her age, but then complain about how younger women in Hollywood aren't taken as seriously.

Edited by methodwriter85

I just don't know if a movie with a tiny budget (seriously, if it was much more than $1 million, I'd be surprised) that's going to have a pretty narrow audience could be expected to be a huge career boost for anyone.

Anyway, I have plenty of good things to say about Shelter, but we should maybe more to the LGBT thread.

On 10/28/2017 at 4:03 AM, NUguy514 said:

I've got a good one: Daniel Day-Fucking-Lewis. Oh god, how I loathe him. Watching him act drives me up a wall.

Firstly, the way he treats his fellow actors (specifically those who portray his characters' antagonists) when the cameras are not rolling is appalling (I mean, as one example, Paul Dano, whom I also despise, was the third or fourth actor cast in those roles in There Will Be Blood because DD-L was so horrible to the previously cast actors that they quit); be a fucking human being and treat people with kindness, dick.

Secondly, I hate his method actor approach to every role. Method acting is bullshit, but the extreme nature DD-L takes it to is beyond the pale. Everything he does – every vocal inflection, every look, every gesture, eeeeeverything – is so incredibly calculated and planned that it completely robs his performances of any sort of life, magic, or spontaneity because nothing is really happening in the moment. For example, I'll compare his absolutely stultifying performance as Lincoln to Tommy Lee Jones's kinetic performance as Thaddeus Stevens: the former's performance was so boring to me because DD-L wasn't actually responding in the moment and was instead following the predetermined script in his head while the latter's performance was so terrific because he was responding to what was thrown at him in the moment, thereby giving his performance life (yes, I was a pretentious Theatre major). He has three Oscars because he has created this myth around himself that he's the most committed actor to his craft in the whole universe because he lives in character during the entirety of a film shoot (and often for a time leading up to the shoot), which everyone buys into, causing them to project a quality onto his onscreen work that isn't there. Honestly, his greatest accomplishment is his near-universal gaslighting of everyone. If he weren't so wildly overpraised, I wouldn't hate him so much; however, he is, so I do. I felt incredible validation some years ago when one of my acting teachers out here in LA (a man who's been in the business in one way or another for over forty years) basically said, in response to DD-L's name being brought up by someone, "Ugh, that fucking guy – he's a shitty actor and a fraud." I'll never forget that moment.

Thirdly, he was physically abusive to one of his exes. Girl, bye.

Good to see others that dislike him. I think he's hilariously bad in Gangs of New York. It's interesting that his character is named Bill the Butcher, because he hams it up for 2 1/2 looooooooong hours.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, WritinMan said:

Good to see others that dislike him. I think he's hilariously bad in Gangs of New York. It's interesting that his character is named Bill the Butcher, because he hams it up for 2 1/2 looooooooong hours.

tenor.gif?itemid=4850955

In light of today's nomination--Denzel Washington. He's gotten so self important lately, last year when he lost the Oscar and the camera got that show of him looking pissed--hilarious! I don't think he's that great an actor anyway.

• Love 2

Michelle Williams kind of bugs me. Or maybe it's Busy Phiklips with Michelle Williams? The Instagram posts on Heath Ledgers 10 year anniversary kind of rubbed me up the wrong way. I just feel there's a time and place for that kind of thing and it's not in front of millions of people. Granted it was probably meant in a good way but it sort of just made me roll my eyes. If my ex partner or my friends ex partner had passed away and it was his anniversary the last thing I'd be doing is posting reflective pictures of me grieving. Granted it was actually Busy milking it but still. 

I know the above will be major unpopular S everyone adores Michelle Williams. 

• Love 1
On 1/23/2018 at 12:20 PM, cpcathy said:

In light of today's nomination--Denzel Washington. He's gotten so self important lately, last year when he lost the Oscar and the camera got that show of him looking pissed--hilarious! I don't think he's that great an actor anyway.

I think he did a great job with last year's Fences (Hard not to, with August Wilson's great words) but he definitely got a nom this year because he's Denzel. (And that James Franco quickly fell out of favor.)

• Love 1

I dont mind him or dislike him in any way but, Armie Hammer's name bugs the nuts out of me, sounds almost like Arm&Hamer  (baking soda) 

I'm being  petty, IKR? LOL

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, xls said:

I dont mind him or dislike him in any way but, Armie Hammer's name bugs the nuts out of me, sounds almost like Arm&Hamer  (baking soda) 

I'm being  petty, IKR? LOL

I'd like to tell you there's reason for that.  Armie's great-grandfather was Armand Hammer.  (Armie's given name is Armand.)  And Armand Hammer was a billionaire who owned stock in the company that made Arm & Hammer.

But I can't tell you that there's a reason for the similarity because Armand wasn't named after Arm & Hammer and Arm & Hammer wasn't named after Armand. 

So the reason they sound alike is just a coincidence; albeit there are connections.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I'd like to tell you there's reason for that.  Armie's great-grandfather was Armand Hammer.  (Armie's given name is Armand.)  And Armand Hammer was a billionaire who owned stock in the company that made Arm & Hammer.

But I can't tell you that there's a reason for the similarity because Armand wasn't named after Arm & Hammer and Arm & Hammer wasn't named after Armand. 

So the reason they sound alike is just a coincidence; albeit there are connections.

thats really cool I just thought his parents had a sense of humor :)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

He eventually did buy a large interest in the company because of his name and because people kept asking him about the name.

• Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:02 AM, Zola said:

Gibson - dreadful actor and horrible human being - hates nearly everyone, especially ex-girlfriends.

I won't defend Mel Gibson as a human being, because there really isn't a defense.  I will say, however, that there was a time in his career, early on before Hollywood got ahold of him, when he was quite a good actor.  He was very good in The Road Warrior, and excellent in Gallipoli and The Year of Living Dangerously.  Maybe he just needed the right director - apparently Peter Weir really brought out the best of his talents.

But yeah, a really shitty person.

Not that you aren't welcome to hate him.  Because he's very hateable, that's for sure.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The Year of Living Dangerously.

I loved loved loved that movie back in the day -- the entire cast was wonderful in it.  I still recommend it, but with reservations because Mel Gibson.

• Love 3
On 1/23/2018 at 1:33 PM, Chas411 said:

Michelle Williams kind of bugs me. Or maybe it's Busy Phiklips with Michelle Williams?

Why do I have to look up Michelle Williams every time someone mentions her? I keep confusing her with Allison Williams, whom I also have to look up. In any event, people keep trying to convince me how talented and special Michelle is, but I just don’t see it  

And I love Busy Philipps. Her voice is a little annoying, but her humorous streams of consciousness crack me up. 

• Love 1

I don't hate him, but after watching one of the morning shows today, I've decided that I'm ready for Adam Rippon to go away for awhile.  I enjoyed his various appearances during the Olympics, but I'm finding that a little of him goes a long way.  Please, Adam, don't turn into Johnny Weir! 

(Rippon's not an actor, but he's becoming something of a celebrity outside his sport, so I thought it should go here.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I won't defend Mel Gibson as a human being, because there really isn't a defense.  I will say, however, that there was a time in his career, early on before Hollywood got ahold of him, when he was quite a good actor.  He was very good in The Road Warrior, and excellent in Gallipoli and The Year of Living Dangerously.  Maybe he just needed the right director - apparently Peter Weir really brought out the best of his talents.

But yeah, a really shitty person.

Not that you aren't welcome to hate him.  Because he's very hateable, that's for sure.

Agreed - some of his early output (possibly up to and including "The Bounty") were all quite impressive., but then he went off the rails both personally and as an actor, and just became quite an odorous individual (Braveheart, was very good though) 

• Love 4

Is Kristen Bell annoying anyone else but me? I feel like she tries to be relatable with her stories but to me it just comes off as trying too hard. I think it she was on The Soup (I believe it was The Soup, is that still on? Either way, Joel Mchale was there) and she told a story about how she had anal worms. Girl what?! Why are you sharing that with the world? I've been told The Good Place is really funny, I just can't bring myself to watch it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

Is Kristen Bell annoying anyone else but me? I feel like she tries to be relatable with her stories but to me it just comes off as trying too hard. I think it she was on The Soup (I believe it was The Soup, is that still on? Either way, Joel Mchale was there) and she told a story about how she had anal worms. Girl what?! Why are you sharing that with the world? I've been told The Good Place is really funny, I just can't bring myself to watch it.

Anal worms. Uhhhh, I don’t want to know the story behind that one. 

Kristen Bell has said how much of a people-pleaser she is (and tries not to be), so it makes sense that she might come across as trying too hard. 

But I just can’t share your hate. KB is a friend in my head. She had me at Veronica Mars. She had me at Veronica Mars. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I actually liked her before you brought up that story (and am willing to try to let that slide as a horrible anomaly). However; I have to wonder if she'd want either of her children to be stuck on a bus with someone telling them that that had happened to them.

On 8/8/2016 at 1:03 PM, Popples said:

He got on Liam Neeson's nerves when they were filming together because he kept calling Liam by his character's name.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm rather fatiguing of Meryl Streep. Are there no other American actresses over 60? I was somewhat familiar with the story of Florence Foster Jenkins, but once I saw Streep was in the title role, I lost interest.

Streep. I'm not afraid to say I can't stand her. Have never understood all the accolades, because you can always see her "acting."  Even in some of her early roles. I was already forming my unpopular opinion after Sophie's Choice, Silkwood, and The Dingo Ate My Baby, to name a few. I refused to see Thatcher. That said, I surprised myself by enjoying her in Florence Foster Jenkins. 

• Love 1