Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: A Farewell

• Start Topic

I love the surprising references to other vampire movies/shows.  How on Earth did the house vamps setup that dining room and hire staff in one night?  It was gross that the council members came and felt up a supposedly dead Nandor.  I laughed when Guillermo tried to fluff up Nandor's size.

That can't really be the end of Colin Robinson, right??  No wonder Lazslo has been so nice and accommodating.

• Love 2

Oof. Nandor can't get respect from anyone, and Colin Robinson dies.

Touching stuff from Lazlo in regard to becoming friends with Colin Robinson in his final days . . . . but I still feel that Lazlo does stuff like that in order to convince himself he's an honorable man. I'd say "good," but that's a whole weird area with vampires. If Colin Robinson were to stay dead (and not heal from Nandor crushing his skull), I would bet Lazlo forgets his name inside of two months. I will say that I'm impressed that a throwaway moment from a previous episode turned out to be Lazlo withholding the truth under the guise of jacking it.

I'm thinking a lot of time passed from last episode, based on Nandor's hair going back to being long. Yeah, I know, Interview With The Vampire and what's-her-name. Even with all the shade he threw at the others, Nandor got hurt. Does it get more humiliating than being forced to play dead while party guests look at your dick and talk shit about it?

You know, given how delightfully fucked up Gotham turned out to be, I could see Donal Longue (Harvey Bullock) actually being a vampire with none of his cast mates knowing. And he was so nonchalant about it. And I just remembered Gotham was partially filmed on Staten Island, which adds to . . . . I dunno . . . I just think it's funny.

ETA: Just remembered Nandor no-selling Colin Robinson zapping him with the cattle prod. Great callback.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 8

Okay, I admit it. I cried. I laughed when Nadja said Colin Robinson farted a quiet fart before dying but then I continued crying. I’m verklempt…☹️

I don’t think Lazlo was insincere about making sure Colin Robinson had a good time in his last few months. Or that he does it to make himself look good.

• Love 6

I'm sure getting David Cross as Dominykas the Dreadful was the big get for the guest actor spot, but my personal favorite was definitely Actual Vampire Donal Logue, who apparently got interested in the "lifestyle" after his time on Blade.  And since it was already established in season one that Wesley Snipes himself is also a real vampire in this universe, I wonder if he had anything to do with the recruitment.  Hell, maybe Wesley was his maker!

Unless Mark Proksch wanted out, I have to imagine this isn't it for Colin.  Maybe energy vampires regenerate or something?  Since Lazlo was the only one who read the page, I have to imagine there is more to it because Lazlo isn't the most thorough person/vamp out there.  But I have to imagine some big changes will be in store, no matter how this plays out.

Looks like Nadja isn't as thrilled as she would have expected over possibly being the lone leader of the council.

Even if he had ulterior motives on some levels, Lazlo wanting to make Colin's "last" few months special was actually pretty touching and unselfish for him.

Looks like Nandor is going to have to wait on the Supreme Sleeping!

Can't believe next week is already the finale.  This season has gone by fast!

• Love 11
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

Since Lazlo was the only one who read the page, I have to imagine there is more to it because Lazlo isn't the most thorough person/vamp out there. 

Hmm, I am sensing this could be like when one of the Brady Bunch kids read a medical encyclopedia and two pages got stuck together, so he thought he was dying of a terminal illness (I think it was Peter?) ...I'm sure there has to be an out!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

They thought the Sire was dead, so maybe this isn't it for Colin. But that smashed face was pretty gruesome.

Nandor's depression is actually making me genuinely sad.

I was surprised Nadja cared so much about CR's death. Maybe she's just a drama freak who enjoys the heightened emotion. She was crying about Nandor. too. 

If Nandor really wanted to die, wouldn't he get himself staked somehow? Or just go into the sun? 

• Love 7

I cannot believe this show would really kill off Colin Robinson. I just can't. Please tell me this is just subterfuge and he's going to regenerate somehow. It would seriously be a much lesser show without him. 

Also, did anyone know what song the birthday card was playing? Laszlo said it was Colin's favorite song.

One bit of continuity that kind of bugged me: the whole reason our vamps were sentenced to death by the Vampiric Council back in Season 1 (and again in the Season 2 finale) was because they had committed the crime of killing another vampire. So how is Nadja allowed to claim she killed Nandor without any consequences?

Also, how did they think she killed him while leaving his body intact? When Guillermo staked Carol she turned to dust.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 10
39 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I cannot believe this show would really kill off Colin Robinson. I just can't. Please tell me this is just subterfuge and he's going to regenerate somehow. It would seriously be a much lesser show without him. 

Also, did anyone know what song the birthday card was playing? Laszlo said it was Colin's favorite song.

One bit of continuity that kind of bugged me: the whole reason our vamps were sentenced to death by the Vampiric Council back in Season 1 (and again in the Season 2 finale) was because they had committed the crime of killing another vampire. So how is Nadja allowed to claim she killed Nandor without any consequences?

Also, how did they think she killed him while leaving his body intact? When Guillermo staked Carol she turned to dust.

I tried to recognize the song, but no luck. 

Like you, the whole Nadja killing Nandor made me thing the same thing too. I didn't even think about Carol. 

18 hours ago, possibilities said:

They thought the Sire was dead, so maybe this isn't it for Colin. But that smashed face was pretty gruesome.

Nandor's depression is actually making me genuinely sad.

I really wasn’t ready for Colin’s smashed gooey face.  NO!

Agreed on Nandor.  At least we got a “that fucking guy” out of him.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Remember earlier this season when Colin Montgomery implied that his mother was still alive? At the time, I thought that meant she was an energy vampire too, but now…🤨

26 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Maybe his original mom died and he was adopted.

Or maybe they really do get reborn in some way?

• Love 4

That final scene with Colin Robinson gave me flashbacks to Tangina Barrons in Poltergeist 3.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:13 AM, iMonrey said:

The vampires Guillermo killed back in the Season 2 opener didn't; he had to dispose of those bodies.

• Love 1
Just now, Bruinsfan said:

The vampires Guillermo killed back in the Season 2 opener didn't; he had to dispose of those bodies.

Hmmn. We really need some clarification on vampire death. Do they turn to dust or not? It seems like sometimes they do-- like when exposed to sunlight. But apparently not always. Also, if Nandor's only alternative to a life of eternal misery is the slumber, and not death by staking or sunlight, that also doesn't add up. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Hmmn. We really need some clarification on vampire death. Do they turn to dust or not? It seems like sometimes they do-- like when exposed to sunlight. But apparently not always. Also, if Nandor's only alternative to a life of eternal misery is the slumber, and not death by staking or sunlight, that also doesn't add up. 

I don’t think Nandor wanted to die. He just wanted to get away for a few hundred years!

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maybe his original mom died and he was adopted.

An adoptive mother in that case would still be extremely old!

• Love 2

I can’t believe that Colin Robinson is dead. I did expect him to pop up again so I gasped when Nandor smushed his face. I think he is going to respawn, or one of his clones will wake up, something. I mean really, we’re depending on Laslo to get something like that right? 

On a different note, I felt like David Cross was channeling Billy Crystal a bit, especially from The Princess Bride. 

Poor Nandor, no respect! 

Ann Rice’s Lestat did a super slumber in his book, so it wasn’t that strange - of course Lestat didn’t get molested!

• Love 4

I could kinda tell they had switched to a dummy Colin Robinson when Nandor came into the room, so I was expecting something, but not that.  Oh my.  Colin Robinson has grown on me, and it would make me sad if this is indeed the last of him.  There are a couple copies buried out in the yard, or like @possibilities said I could see them reaping the benefits of a funeral.  Perhaps energy vampires metamorphose into something else after a hundred years.  They've had ghosts on the show too.  It really added some poignancy to all Lazlo's antics and his somewhat plaintive request to see if everyone signed Colin Robinson's card.

I can see Nadja's ploy about killing Nandor as either acceptable because it was a power struggle, or as a lapse in continuity.  The show hasn't been super focused on continuity as much as being funny in the episode.  The stuff with Nandor's 'corpse' didn't land with me.

On the lighter side, I agree David Cross was channeling Billy Crystal but his make-up and bat ears were fun.  Guillermo serving his date chicken nuggets and spaghetti really amused me.  The funniest part was Donal Logue as himself as a vampire.  I love @thuganomics85's theory that Wesley Snipes turned him.  Though his character went though some horrible things in Blade so I'm not sure which parts appealed to him.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, edhopper said:

Lazlo didn't read the next page about energy vamps, where it talks about their rebirth.

Too convenient . . .. though it has been established Lazlo is the laziest vampire Nandor has ever known, so it would be in-character for him to miss that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

He might be the most kind and even human vampire, though. He enjoys being friends with the human neighbors, for instance. And he decides to be kind to Colin when he thinks C is dying. He doesn't seem to have the same contempt the others do for everybody else. Even Nandor, who sort of cares about Guillermo, doesn't really treat him like an equal, the way Lazlo does with his friends next door.

• Love 10

This cant be the end of Colin Robinson, the show just wouldn't be the same without his particular brand of vampiric boredom. I feel like Lazlo might have misread something or he only read the first page and tore it out before he could read the second page where it turns out that energy vampires are reborn into a new even more boring form after "dying" on their 100th birthday, Lazlo is the laziest vampire Nandor knows after all. If he really is gone, the show will have lost a lot without him around, he has really grown on me during the last few seasons. 

It actually is pretty touching that Lazlo has been hanging out with Colin Robinson so much because he wanted him to have some fun before his death, in his own Lazlo kind of way. He is in a lot of ways one of the most amoral of the vampires, but he does actually have a real capacity to care about people and tries to make them happy, like his neighbors or the girls volleyball team he got super invested in as Jackie Daytona. Sometimes with ulterior motives, but a lot of times out of a real desire to help out. 

Nandor no selling Colin Robinson's cattle prod was actually pretty awesome. Hopefully he gets out of his funk soon, as much as his angst has been played for laughs, its actually being played for some real feelings. 

A wild David Cross appears! So I am just going to start assuming that the entire cast of every Blade movie is a vampire now.

• Love 10

I have always enjoyed Colin Robinson, so I hope he returns even more boring than before (Colin Robinson’s Promotion is one of my favorite episodes). I grew to like Lazlo more after all of his adventures with Colin Robinson this season; they were the buddy comedy that I never knew I needed. 

• Love 11

I hope Colin comes back.

Has anyone heard rumors of backstage shenanigans leading to Colin’s ouster? Because, man, that was one harsh exit - farting and getting his face smashed in.

• Love 1
On 10/23/2021 at 8:12 PM, Eliza422 said:

On a different note, I felt like David Cross was channeling Billy Crystal a bit, especially from The Princess Bride.

This works with the idea that a super slumber is basically "not dead, just mostly dead"

I love this show. I am not ready for the season so end.

• Love 10

I would think if Mark Prosch were actually leaving the show he would have appeared on this week’s episode of After The Shadows and some of the cast would have had social media posts wishing him well, etc. As far as I can tell, none of those things have happened. Hopefully we’ll get more information on the next episode/season finale. I hope for some sort of return for Colin Robinson. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

A wild David Cross appears! So I am just going to start assuming that the entire cast of every Blade movie is a vampire now.

Parker Posey can probably do that vampire trick of sliding between a door jamb and its door without resorting to CGI!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So I am just going to start assuming that the entire cast of every Blade movie is a vampire now.

Well that would give us Ron Perlman.  And it would in no way shock me if Patton Oswalt turned up.

ETA: a moment I missed - Guillermo said he didn't care about being a vampire anymore when he asks Nandor to stay.

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 2