Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E05: Disney Villains Night

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

My sister just now: "What do you mean, 'in no particular order', you're only listing one more couple who's staying!"

I always 🙄 at that one but I think the cue card writers mean than the last couple to be called safe isn’t necessarily the third-to-last in the overall placements (i.e. not almost in the bottom two). 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

*(I wish Tyra would stop mispronouncing Jimmie's name, though.)

This has been driving me crazy! There's a few times she gets it right, but she seems to mostly call him "Jammie." And last night, I swear there were more than a few times she kept calling Len "Lin" or something else. It is not that hard to pronounce people's names right.

4 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Let me guess Production darlings Jojo and Olivia will go last or one of them will. Also seeing Emma looking like a Sexy AF Tinker bell reminded me that on OUAT they hinted of Hook and Tinkerbell hooking up in the past 

Other than the first week, Jojo hasn't performed last (and I don't think Olivia has at all.) In fact, I've been kind of surprised at how often Jojo is either one of the first to dance or in the middle.

It's weird because I've never been one of those people who love to hate villains, but I really, really enjoy the villain dances on this show. I think Rumer was the first female who decided not to do a princess dance and did a samba as Ursula - still one of my favorite dances done to one of my favorite Disney songs. And I watch Jenna and James's Suicide Squad a lot! This was a really solid night of dances. Many of the dances I watched twice. Even the weaker dancers weren't so terrible. I probably said "shut up, Tyra" a lot less tonight.

I tried not to agree with many others at first, but Brian did really get weaker and weaker and was the right choice for one of the people to go home. I didn't really care much who went between Kenya and Matt. I did enjoy Matt's performance more tonight. I probably would have saved Matt. It feels like Kenya's save will kind of be a waste and she'll probably be in the bottom two again next week.

I loved Iman's first dance, but I've kind of been iffier on his others. Last night and tonight, I agreed more with Len's scores (especially last night.) I would have gone a point higher. I thought the 8s last night were ridiculous, but the 9s tonight didn't bother me too much. I kind of agreed with Derek's critique. He started off saying there were issues but the lifts were so insane. The lifts were great (absolutely amazing and brilliant from a choreography standpoint because she's supposed to be a parrot) but other than that, he didn't do a whole lot of dancing. It's funny, but it kind of reminds me of Titanic. Sure the last hour and the spectacle of the boat sinking is great, but not Best Picture-worthy great. You have to look at the whole of it. The whole of Iman's dance, I don't think, was really nine-worthy.

I agree that Suni is coming out of her shell more. I thought the picture of her and her sister was so cute because it perfectly encapsulated what she said about being more shy and her sister being more outgoing.

I have to agree with the judges again. What impressed me the most about her tonight was the performance aspect. It was a really cute, enjoyable dance.

Melora's dance was great! The facial expressions were perfect. I wonder if she'll end up like Justina, doing great, and even making it to the finals, but not winning.

Miz's dance was good. I don't think it was worthy of nines necessarily, but it was good and rewatchable.

I think Amanda will be one of those dancers I know is technically good, but I just don't connect to. 

I thought Jimmie's dance was fantastic! I kind of forgot about it a little bit because he was first and there so many great dances after, but it's a dance I'll definitely rewatch.

There was a discussion in the thread from yesterday's episode about why they don't do more Star Wars or Marvel movies. The guess/explanation last night made sense to me that they didn't have many iconic songs. But, until it was pointed out here, I didn't think about Jimmie's dance being done to "Bad Guy" which has nothing to do with Peter Pan. If that can be done, then why can't they expand the movies they use? Especially since they keep doing Pirates of the Caribbean pasos to the same damn song.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

This has been driving me crazy! There's a few times she gets it right, but she seems to mostly call him "Jammie." And last night, I swear there were more than a few times she kept calling Len "Lin" or something else. It is not that hard to pronounce people's names right.

At first I tried to justify it or give her benefit of the doubt (I know) that she was trying to do the cutesy smush-couple name thing and call them Jemma, but yeah, I don't know what she's going for.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

At first I tried to justify it or give her benefit of the doubt (I know) that she was trying to do the cutesy smush-couple name thing and call them Jemma, but yeah, I don't know what she's going for.

At first, I thought it was me. I wasn't paying too close attention to him the first couple of weeks. So, I wondered if I'd heard wrong and that was how his name was pronounced. And, then yeah, I wondered if it was some couple smush thing, but it's not. It would be one thing if she only did it once for one week, but she's kept it up and I don't know how he doesn't take her aside and tell her how it's really pronounced.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

At first, I thought it was me. I wasn't paying too close attention to him the first couple of weeks. So, I wondered if I'd heard wrong and that was how his name was pronounced. And, then yeah, I wondered if it was some couple smush thing, but it's not. It would be one thing if she only did it once for one week, but she's kept it up and I don't know how he doesn't take her aside and tell her how it's really pronounced.

He seems too nice for that, but you'd think Emma would? Or at least Derek or one of the producers?

• Love 3

I thought Daniella was an oddly-costumed carpet, so her outfit makes so much more sense realizing she's the parrot. Clearly, I don't remember the movie well... does the parrot sleep a lot? Whatever the justification for the choreography, I agree that the lifts were pure magic. I also agree that the dancing between the lifts was mediocre.

I've been meh on the men compared to the women in general, but the Miz is high up on my list. He's a solid dancer, and his performance quality/charisma is high. Plus, he is throwing himself all in on the costuming!

In general, the dance level is high enough to make it hard to know who should stay and who should go. With Brian gone, the last of the genuinely bad dancers are gone. 

I didn't get Val's choreo for Remember Me. I think Olivia danced what she was given as well as she could, but I don't think he gave her good content. I'm not even sure who she was supposed to be portraying or why she was in pants instead of a skirt. But the guitar battle and spotlight battle was cute.

Edited by Zuleikha
  • Love 6

I'm throughly enjoying Jimmie and Iman. It's nice to see a baller who can actually dance for a change. Daniella is a excellent pro, if the show lasts long enough for her to get given a proper ringer as a partner then she's going to fly. I also always seem to a huge soft spot for any older contestant who does really well against younger opposition, so well done to Melora. I think the Justina comparison from last season is a good one, however I do worry about her fanbase going forward compared to others.

Although it made me look like an idiot, well done Len for taking the chance to ditch Matt, Yes Kenya could potentially be toast going forward, but I thought she was the better dancer tonight. Shame Tyra is the worst host of all time and couldn't explain the simple rule regarding the head judge having the casting vote in the event of a tie, leading to mass confusion from the viewers. Honestly, I despair of her!

• Love 10

BAG's paso was terrible. Definitely should have been with a different partner to stand a better chance of being receptive to coaching.

I'm afraid there will be a push for husband vs. wife in the finals so it'll be Val vs. Jenna, which may be unfair for someone like Jimmie or Melora.

Matt was improving. Paso was his best so far. I feel like Kenya has already been on this show even tho she hasn't. 

Suni could be perfect but she's incredibly boring.

Mel C looked good and gave great face this time BC her expressions suit villainy/the Maleficent mask.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

“Each of our judges gets to vote to save one couple. As head judge, Len will vote last and his vote counts as two votes, so if the other three are not in agreement his vote will decide who stays. Who do you vote to save Bruno? Okay that’s 1 vote for Matt. How about you Derek? Okay we’re at 1 vote Matt, 1 vote Kenya. Carrie Anne? You vote to save Matt, we’re at 2 votes Matt, 1 vote Kenya. Now it’s down to you Len, remember audience, Len’s vote counts as two votes. Len votes for Kenya, and with 3 votes Kenya, 2 votes Matt, that means Kenya will stay and Matt you must leave the tribal council.”

JUST GIVE THE RUNNING TALLY, SHOW, you’d make it so much simpler, Jeff Probst has been doing it for like, 50 seasons of Survivor.

They should do like AGT and if the judges are tied, go back to the actual audience vote. I think it'd be more interesting (and easier for Tyra to explain, since she has experience with that rule).

8 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

It is not that hard to pronounce people's names right.

Going by my experience of, well, my life, apparently it is (and my name isn't even hard). 🙄 But you'd think the host of a TV show would be more careful.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, luvbadtv said:

So do we start the countdown to the end of Sharna & BAG's relationship?

If we found out that he broke up with her the minute she tried to instruct him weeks ago and they've just been playing it up for TV this whole time, I wouldn't be surprised. He's looked miserable and completely uninterested in learning any dance this whole time.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, vibeology said:

If we found out that he broke up with her the minute she tried to instruct him weeks ago and they've just been playing it up for TV this whole time, I wouldn't be surprised. He's looked miserable and completely uninterested in learning any dance this whole time.

I'm sure he thought the show was beneath him, but, good grief, it's a paycheck and it's one for her too.  I think he's a mess and I wish Sharna would see that.  His previous love interests have not turned out well.  I don't want to see her go down the same road.

Derek sort of addressed the voting controversy on his insta.  He doesn't say if he knew Len would get two votes but he seemed like he was doubting his decision to have Kenya stay.  He said her quality of dancing was better but Matt's performance was better. He did a poll and over 80% thought the wrong person went home.  I think she'll leave next week anyway, I just think the voting wasn't properly explained.  Was Matt even bottom 3?  Clearly Len didn't' like him, but he's also way underscored Iman.  The Len of a couple of years ago wouldn't have acted so against certain dancers, he doesn't appear impartial at all.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

The Len of a couple of years ago wouldn't have acted so against certain dancers, he doesn't appear impartial at all.

I remember how Len treated Mario so I'm not so sure about that. Len consistently seems to have a problem with Black men. It's a terrible look.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

I'm sure he thought the show was beneath him, but, good grief, it's a paycheck and it's one for her too.  I think he's a mess and I wish Sharna would see that.  His previous love interests have not turned out well.  I don't want to see her go down the same road.

I hope I am just projecting but I get such bad vibes from their dynamic. It seems like she is way more into him than he is into her. It seems like she is the convenient rebound he needs to "get even" with his ex moving on. It seems like Sharna sees him as such a "catch" and is willing to do anything, including make herself smaller to placate his fragile ego. I hope, if they continue as a couple, she never has to choose between focusing on her work on DwtS and paying attention to him.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I remember how Len treated Mario so I'm not so sure about that. Len consistently seems to have a problem with Black men. It's a terrible look.

People online have been calling out his racist ass for years. The weird thing though is he doesn't seem that racist on the British version.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I didn't get Val's choreo for Remember Me. I think Olivia danced what she was given as well as she could, but I don't think he gave her good content. I'm not even sure who she was supposed to be portraying or why she was in pants instead of a skirt. But the guitar battle and spotlight battle was cute.

It seemed to me like he sort of mashed up Remember Me and Poco Loco

Remember Me is a weird “villain song” because while it’s related to the villain the whole point of the movie is that you’re not supposed to know why or how. In a way that you can’t explain without ruining the movie. (Also everyone go watch Coco, it’s one of my favorite movies full stop of the last few years and will make you cry your face off.)

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Didn't Derek test positive for Covid a week ago? How is he back already?

This was a weird night overall. I could be wrong, but the songs Jimmy and Kenya danced to weren't even Disney songs, were they? And the costumes. Kenya was the Evil Queen but who was Brandon? A crow? Who was Artem supposed to be? I don't remember anyone with an eyepatch in Tangled. Who was Alan supposed to be, Andy Warhol? And the Miz, once again, gets the most horrific costume at all. Those colored contacts are probably pretty rough to wear.

I thought a lot of them were over-scored so again I wonder what shenanigans are going on to save producer faves. Iman did really well but 9s? No. A 10 from Len for Melora? I didn't think their number was very interesting.

Maybe Tara should drop the questions after the scoring because some of these people end up saying the dumbest things. Like JoJo saying "Lovers never go away." Um, huh? Ah, youth. And no, Kenya, the Evil Queen was not 1000 years old. I don't know where she got that idea. And no, Jimmy - your wife is not two centimeters pregnant. I hope not anyway. I think you mean dilated. 

Sasha's real hair looks just as strange as Winifred's Sanderson's.

Everyone keeps saying Olivia looks just like her mother, but I'm old enough to remember when Lori Laughlin started out on The Edge of Night, and I think Olivia's sister looks even more like her.

I tried to watch Cocoa once and couldn't make it past the first 15 minutes.

• Love 3

I had to rewatch a few dances... Emma for her cuteness (most of those pro women are so gorgeous, hate love 'em all) and Jimmie 'cause I like him and he can dance, Daniella and Iman (for those lifts - wow!), Amanda and Alan (I'm rooting for Amanda* and Alan's costume of polka dots is like a magnet for me), Val and Scandal Girl (I'm shallow), and of course, Melora and Artem (she's great, not just acting and dancing - also singing!)... did I miss anyone special? Oh yes, the JennaJoJo paso? I think they're excellent dancers -  and yet it's a love/hate watch for me. I've seen Jenna dance 'live' with Val a few times and, wow, can they jive! It's something about the personality that's an issue for me. "Look at ME!" camera hogging?

You have no idea how much I wish Mel C was dancing with someone (anyone) other than Gleb... IMO, she's fantastic. He's an excellent dancer, no question. It's his rep and the slightly icky feeling I get that clouds my vision of him.

As for fashion, Derek's the one I'm always looking forward to seeing... he never disappoints. I'd kill for that jacket he wore last night... feminized slightly, of course... I'd wear it with a slinky cami and my fave black pencil skirt.

* because one of my family members knew her husband and the whole story breaks my heart... especially that she never got to say goodbye to Nick... I know that level of grief... so I wish her well.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, sbluv2dance said:

Is it just me, or do Mel C and Sharna kind of look alike?

Not just you...I wasn't wearing contacts on the Disney heroes night and when Mel C and Gleb started "Step in Time" I thought she was Sharna...and was AMAZED at how much better BAG had gotten, lol.

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This was a weird night overall. I could be wrong, but the songs Jimmy and Kenya danced to weren't even Disney songs, were they? And the costumes. Kenya was the Evil Queen but who was Brandon? A crow? Who was Artem supposed to be? I don't remember anyone with an eyepatch in Tangled. Who was Alan supposed to be, Andy Warhol? 

I looked at the Wikipedia page the other night to see which songs they were doing and the ones that weren't from actual movies said "(inspired by)" ...I have no idea what that's supposed to mean here.

Couldn't recall but I just googled and the evil queen in Snow White does have a crow (or raven?). At first I thought he was the henchman sent to kill Snow White but the feathers didn't make sense for that. 

The eyepatch guy (Artem) in Tangled is one of the Stabbington Brothers. Flynn Rider's partners-in-crime who later work with Mother Gothel to get revenge.

Haven't seen Cruella but from what I can tell (from wiki + a google image search) Alan was a member of Cruella's entourage named Artie (the character was "inspired by David Bowie and Marc Bolan").

image.png.7795532988be2cbf3df1aa0d770af373.png

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Those lifts  Iman and Daniella did were insane.

I had to roll my DVR back to watch their dance again. Daniella has got some core strength right there.  But Iman had to be strong enough to lift a 110 pound woman over his head and seem artistic.  I was impressed. 

Glad BAG is gone. He was giving me Unwilling Father of the Bride vibes the night before. 

I'm Team Suni and I'm so happy to see her loosening up so much.  She's got an absolutely fascinating story with her family (I spent a lot of time watching Olympic gymnastics last summer). 

Jimmie got himself a little confused with his wife's condition, but boy, I'm enjoying his dancing along with Melora - she's elegant and strong at the same time. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I'm Team Suni and I'm so happy to see her loosening up so much.  She's got an absolutely fascinating story with her family (I spent a lot of time watching Olympic gymnastics last summer). 

I agree!!

She is the complete opposite of Olivia what's her name. So is her family.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I thought Daniella was an oddly-costumed carpet, so her outfit makes so much more sense realizing she's the parrot. Clearly, I don't remember the movie well... does the parrot sleep a lot? Whatever the justification for the choreography, I agree that the lifts were pure magic. I also agree that the dancing between the lifts was mediocre.

LOL at the carpet vs parrot confusion, that amuses me for some reason. I do think the lifts were incredible, but the commentary afterward was starting to worry me about Daniela's self-esteem, she seemed quite bothered by the amazement that he could lift her from those positions. I truly believe those were difficult lifts and they were beautifully done, but I do hope someone took her aside afterward and reassured her about what they meant, because young girls in a profession like this are definitely vulnerable.

I really like seeing a basketball player advance in this competition, this usually isn't their forte. Football players excel, baseball players get by on fanbase sometimes, but basketball players are almost always too tall to be contenders. I like that he's overcoming the height issue and doing his best. 

Regarding the final 2, perhaps I was reading into things, but I really thought Brandon wanted to be done. He was so enthusiastic when the other couple got a vote, but his eyes also told the tale when he got a vote to stay. Like a cry for help...

He seems like the sweetest guy (and very young, as someone pointed out previously, it does seem like he's awfully young compared to Kenya) and I have to remember that regardless of the neat editing packages of their time together, she's still both a pageant alum AND a Real Housewife...there's no way he's not dealing with attitude out the wazoo every week. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

LOL at the carpet vs parrot confusion, that amuses me for some reason. I do think the lifts were incredible, but the commentary afterward was starting to worry me about Daniela's self-esteem, she seemed quite bothered by the amazement that he could lift her from those positions. I truly believe those were difficult lifts and they were beautifully done, but I do hope someone took her aside afterward and reassured her about what they meant, because young girls in a profession like this are definitely vulnerable.

I really like seeing a basketball player advance in this competition, this usually isn't their forte. Football players excel, baseball players get by on fanbase sometimes, but basketball players are almost always too tall to be contenders. I like that he's overcoming the height issue and doing his best. 

I watched all of Daniella's interviews with Nelly and she often had a similar look on her face when asked about how they were doing. She seems to think, rightly so, that she's new and doing her best to show what she's capable of but hasn't enjoyed any ringers yet. 

• Love 2

I usually comment on the ladies, but the guys had my favorite routines tonight.

Jimmie and the Miz have been growing on me each week. I thought they were both great on Britney night and Disney Heroes night as well. Jimmie had the best jazz IMO and had the most actual jazz content. The Miz was great as Scar and he danced that AT well.

Iman is not the most technical dancer, but what makes him appealing is how he commits to every performance and character. Having said that, while his AT lifts were cool, I wish Daniella gave him more actual dancing because I'm sure he could have handled it.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:
On 10/12/2021 at 10:32 PM, LexieLily said:

I think Cheryl's not as recovered from Covid as she wants us to think, tbh.

100%, she seems like she is still sick just full of b12 shots and coffee. 

Yep, I mean it’s still somewhat crazy to me that they’re still in. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cheryl-burke-dwts-return-covid-134257443.html

“And Burke, 37, said she experienced somewhat of an out-of-body experience: "Like, my brain and my body not connecting like I had on Sunday. It was as if there was a pillow on my face as I was jiving."

"Look, I can always do a dance once but to have to repeat it, which we have to do it. The cameras have to know what we're doing," she added, "but I definitely felt that it … it wasn't stamina as much as it was like, 'Whoa, like, I can barely breathe.' My lungs felt like they were going to collapse."”

15 minutes ago, MissPriss said:

This is entertainment. Nothing earth shattering will happen if Cheryl drops out. Her health is more important than anything. I sure hope she’s not feeling pressure to continue. 

Part of me wonders if she feels guilty for getting Cody sick and jeopardizing the DWTS experience for him and thus pushed herself to come back/choreograph dances for him/dance with him, etc. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Yep, I mean it’s still somewhat crazy to me that they’re still in. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cheryl-burke-dwts-return-covid-134257443.html

“And Burke, 37, said she experienced somewhat of an out-of-body experience: "Like, my brain and my body not connecting like I had on Sunday. It was as if there was a pillow on my face as I was jiving."

"Look, I can always do a dance once but to have to repeat it, which we have to do it. The cameras have to know what we're doing," she added, "but I definitely felt that it … it wasn't stamina as much as it was like, 'Whoa, like, I can barely breathe.' My lungs felt like they were going to collapse."”

I suffered long covid. Five months after infection, I still couldn't complete a workout class. I'm a lifelong trained dancer and younger than Cheryl. I was just trying to dance 3 hours a week, and it was too much.

I totally see the disconnection in her face. Hand/eye coordination was one of the last things that came back when I finally recovered. Neuro symptoms last for different times and have nothing to do with the severity of the actual virus.

I wish they'd let her go home. Lindsey can take over for Cheryl.

Can't they swap out pros so that Cody can work with someone healthy and Cheryl can focus on healing? This is unfair to Cody, Cheryl, and the audience. Mostly it is unfair to Cheryl. And it is bad for her health and recovery.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Can't they swap out pros so that Cody can work with someone healthy and Cheryl can focus on healing? This is unfair to Cody, Cheryl, and the audience. Mostly it is unfair to Cheryl. And it is bad for her health and recovery.

They probably could but I’d bet money that Cheryl is insisting she’s fine and can do it. So short of a doctors order declaring she needs to sit out, I don’t know that you could force her to rest.

• Love 3

Honestly, Cheryl has looked disinterested now for several seasons. She and Cody weren't a great match anyway. He would have been fun with Britt or Lindsay, both of whom are available now. She really just needs to retire already.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2021 at 9:18 AM, iMonrey said:

Maybe Tara should drop the questions after the scoring because some of these people end up saying the dumbest things

Maybe Tara should drop the questions after the scoring because some of these people end up saying the dumbest things out entirely...from hosting AND executive producing.

• Love 7

Late to this thread.  Just remembered that Tyra actually looked decent with both outfits.

The three women that I previously mentioned had performance issues were a lot better.  I guess it helps to play an evil character instead of being vulnerable and being yourself.  It also helped Sunni not to have a song like I'm A Slave For You and do a straddle move over Sasha.  Can't blame her for being uncomfortable with that.

• Love 3

Iman's dance was amazing. I was reaching for the remote to watch it again when Tyra mentioned people at home are rewinding. Yes, I was. It was the first dance in a long while that has made me do that. Talk about strong core. They are great together.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4