Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Kill the Fatted Calf

• Start Topic

I felt for Daniel.  First, Ringo is an amazing song writer.  Stop comparing him to John or Paul.  Second, how much charisma do you
need to moderate a debate? As a Washingtonian, I watch all debates and have
never been like wow that moderator has charisma.  

I am only a VP but at some point in my life I would like to be the woman dropping truth bombs on Cory.  Everything she said needs to be said.  

Laura to Bradley…you don’t mind being Southern was lost on me.  I don’t understand what she meant.  I understand her frustration with Bradley over sexual identity but the Southern comparison was lost on me.  I also don’t know repressed is the same as confused and not wanting to label their relationship immediately.  The days of labeling sexuality based on one relationship are hopefully ending soon. 

Stella showing her cards to Alex was the scene I needed.  Also Mia telling Chip not to effing undermine her.  Yep you tell him.

I think Bradley and Cory are just close friends.  I never get a romance vibe from them.

• Love 5

My fav line - Cybil to Cory re Fred & him:

“Two shitty peas in one shitty pod‼️

Bradley is so freaking delusional thinking that she has saved Cory’s job. 😂

With the way Cory was staring at Bradley while she’s dancing to the Foo Fighters, are we getting the Laura-Cory-"I am just not actually a lesbian" Bradley love triangle?

Really not interested in Mitch-Paola’s romcom in Italy. They can quarantine and have Covid together off-screen.

• Love 3

I can think of few things I care less about than Bradley's sexual orientation.

Whatever Laura is doing with Bradley is shady and setting off alarm bells. I can't help thinking that Laura is every bit as manipulative as Mitch.

Daniel's singing. What? Why?

Am I supposed to be rooting for Stella? Because I'm not. I feel nothing for her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

I don't know exactly why but I absolutely love this show.

The omnidirectional firing squad that is the diversity-olympics in this workplace...it's both hilarious and dispiriting.

Not enjoying the Mitch redemption arc, though. I found his "Don't touch me!!!" a bit rich and a bit much. That reflex is for traumatized victims, not perps.

• Love 4

Does anyone know WHY Daniel decided to sing?  I just didn't understand how that is supposed to help him become a debate moderator? I hope we get some insight into his thinking next week. For now I'm just puzzled. 

I'm also still not entirely sure I understand Stella's viewpoint on Alex. I feel like I missed something. 

• Love 8
On 10/8/2021 at 8:29 AM, dmc said:

Laura to Bradley…you don’t mind being Southern was lost on me.  I don’t understand what she meant.  I understand her frustration with Bradley over sexual identity but the Southern comparison was lost on me.

I think she was saying that a) Bradley has no problem playing up her Southern identity for her own advantage when it suits her (like how her accent comes and goes depending on the situation), so she shouldn't act high and mighty about not "using" her sexual orientation to get ahead, and b) that growing up in West Virginia has left her too repressed to come out.

The whole thing felt extremely shoehorned in. Did Bradley actually think that coming out to Stella privately as bi would change Stella's mind about who should be moderating the debate? 

Other thoughts:

- What did Stella mean when she told Daniel that she looked forward to him doing the twist?

- On the "behind the episode" segment, Karen Pittman (who plays Mia) said that the goal with Daniel singing was to ask the audience, "Were you cheering alongside Daniel singing that song, only to realize, 'Oh, shoot, was that minstrelsy?'"

I'm so confused by that. Why on earth would anyone have been cheering alongside Daniel singing that song? It was pure cringe. Did the makers of the show expect people to be moved by his performance?

- I don't buy for a second that Daniel would sell out that way. And for that matter, I've never believed for a second that he'd be any kind of morning show anchor. His personality is completely wrong for it. His whole vibe is so serious and sour.

- Bradley continues to be unbearable. Breaking the vase was completely uncalled for. And she thinks that because she yelled at the board, that means Corey only has his job because of her? Ugh, shut up. You're way too old to be acting this way.

The best moment of the episode was Holland Taylor telling Corey, "You let the talent walk all over you, if you can call Bradley Jackson talent."

Edited by Blakeston
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, coconspirator said:

Does anyone know WHY Daniel decided to sing?  I just didn't understand how that is supposed to help him become a debate moderator? I hope we get some insight into his thinking next week. For now I'm just puzzled. 

He was trying to show he has the It Factor ;)

Were the writers really not aware of the law or were they trying to paint Cybil (head of the network Board) as not being informed, when Cory asked her for help in quashing rumors being planted by Fred about Hannah?  She said they wouldn’t get involved and that the girl’s family would have a good lawsuit against Fred for libel, but that’s not true.  After death, those claims are barred, so the family has no recourse really….perhaps, infliction of emotional distress for themselves, but not libel, as Cybil said.  

I got the impression that having Bradly present Laura with that $300. gift card was a way to show that Bradley doesn’t recognize things of value.  She thought that is what a nice, expensive vase would cost.  😉

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1

Some thoughts on the season so far.

They are basically still beating to death the events of last season so this season can be about something. Because so far we get a lot of threatening, yelling, ultimatums, manipulation and a Mount Everest amount of entitlement.

Why have Bradley date a reporter? Does she not know that the reporter can write about everything that is said and done. I mean "Being a celebrity 101"?

Why devote a large part of the episode and season on the redemption arc of scumbag Mitch? Why portray him as human garbage in season one and ask the audience to forget everything and try to get behind his redemption. So far I have been fast forwarding through his scenes. Don't care.

Why turn Bradley into a heel and make her a whiney, self entitled, angry asshole? So she needs a pep talk from Laura to get her to be decent to her boss? I mean "Being a good employee 101".

Most of the other characters are angry, threatening, entitled and abusive to each other. Hard to cheer for anyone so far.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, juno said:

Some thoughts on the season so far.

They are basically still beating to death the events of last season so this season can be about something. Because so far we get a lot of threatening, yelling, ultimatums, manipulation and a Mount Everest amount of entitlement.

Why have Bradley date a reporter? Does she not know that the reporter can write about everything that is said and done. I mean "Being a celebrity 101".

Why turn Bradley into a heel and make her a whiney, self entitled, angry asshole? So she needs a pep talk from Laura to get her to be decent to her boss? I mean "Being a good employee 101".

I think Bradley’s personal relationships are constantly her downfall.  Her issues with Cory stem from her view that they are friends above all, not employee and boss.  She loves her family, but her relationships with them are wildly unstable.  She seems to have fallen for Laura without realizing that Laura is almost certainly manipulating her.  Bradley seems to be drawn to people who only want something from her when she should be seeking out people without agendas.  

I have to admit that I’m developing a soft spot for Chip.  He’s not without major flaws, and he had a hand in perpetuating the toxic Mitch situation at UBA.  But Chip was the fall guy at the end of last season and, because Fred and Mitch are no longer around, he’s had to take the lion’s share of the blame this season.  This is despite the fact that Chip seems to be the only male character with a conscience save possibly Daniel.  I want something good for Chip this season.

Edited by eejm
  • Love 5

This was an interesting episode. I am wondering what the show really wants the viewer to think about the whole ‘spiritual animal’ apology plot line. 

I don’t know if Laura intended to get in a relationship with Bradley and to use the relationship to get information but it sure looks like she is taking advantage of the situation. I don’t know if there will be a love triangle with them and Cory but I suspect that Laura sees that Cory’s intentions with Bradley aren’t exactly friendly. Laura definitely had an agenda at first it seemed like she was going to go after Alex and her relationship with Mitch but I think Bradley and the whole issue with how she was hired has become her focal point now. 

I wonder if the show is going to go with a whole Mark Cuban type storyline with the owner of the station where she might think she is clean from all of this but people are still going to want to hold her accountable as she is employing these people. Cause either she knew about what was happening and covered it up or she didn’t know and was just made a fool by Fred and Mitch. 

With the ultimate reveal (if you want to call it that) of how Fred really got fired and Cory really got his job - and how distinctly but underwhelmingly it conflicts with Bradley’s self-inflating ideas, I almost think the writers intended for the story to be that Bradley went to the board and played the Hannah tape to establish Fred culpability … but then they decided that they needed the recording to come into play some other way so they changed the Fred/Cory/Bradley/board story on the fly. To the detriment of Bradley the character because she looks lamer and lamer. I also totally think the Crate and Barrel thing was product placement tho her citing the amount was insane. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Beeyago said:

I thought it was a snooze-fest. I kept checking the time remaining, the first time it wasn’t even half way through.  Really hoping it starts going somewhere soon🥱

Me too. I want to like this show, but it’s meandering. I don’t know what the writers are doing. There doesn’t seem to be a plot. Last season was much better. 

I’m bored by the scenes between Mitch and the woman. Each time they cut to him it drags down the show IMO.

The singing scene was pointless and not funny. 

It seems like Bradley is becoming the main character of this show, and she’s not likable. I would rather watch Alex. She has her faults too but I enjoy the character more than Bradley. I do not want to see a romance between Cory and Bradley if that’s where this is going. I think it’s inevitable that Laura is going to screw her over. 

I have no idea what to think of the Stella speech, except I still don’t like her. 

The best moment of the episode was Holland Taylor telling Corey, "You let the talent walk all over you, if you can call Bradley Jackson talent."

Agree! 

Edited by Sweet-tea
Added something
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Sweet-tea said:

Me too. I want to like this show, but it’s meandering. I don’t know what the writers are doing. There doesn’t seem to be a plot. Last season was much better. 

I’m bored by the scenes between Mitch and the woman. Each time they cut to him it drags down the show IMO.

The singing scene was pointless and not funny. 

It seems like Bradley is becoming the main character of this show, and she’s not likable. I would rather watch Alex. She has her faults too but I enjoy the character more than Bradley. I do not want to see a romance between Cory and Bradley if that’s where this is going. I think it’s inevitable that Laura is going to screw her over. 

I have no idea what to think of the Stella speech, except I still don’t like her. 

Agree! 

Yes. Totally agree with everything you said!!!  And I’ve started fast forwarding through Mitch & the Italian woman scenes (don’t even know her character’s name). 

On 10/8/2021 at 6:51 PM, Armchair Critic said:

He wanted to prove he has the "It Factor"? Although I think that backfired. 

I used to work in live television.  The instant he went off-script, I was alarmed.  When he started singing, I was horrified. The crew did a masterful job of covering it, but in the real world, that would have been Daniel's last day on a live set.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Why (Coming to) "America"? It just seemed like such an odd choice. Well, so did the singing, but...."America"?? And I can't quite remember, but didn't he say something in his "intro" about how this goes out to a very special lady, like what? A song about immigration? Had he been practicing that song in the mirror for days, because he thought it showcased his talent? Poor Daniel. I do think he's been bypassed a lot, and I understand his frustration, but WTH?

That being said, Mia calling him "Bojangles" made me wince.

This show is so bizarre this season, it's all over the place. I do think somebody's or more than one somebody is going to get COVID, at least that seems to be what they're leaning towards. 

Bradley is insufferable. 

• Love 6

I binged all of season 1 over the past week. Thought all of season 2 had already aired.

I loved season 1 but I’m not enjoying this season at all. I know people had issue with Bradley last season but I didn’t and enjoyed her. Now I can’t stand her.

Cory was awesome last season and now I’m not liking his character.

I miss the Claire character. The vibe is totally different now. I’m disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Re the singing: as already brought out that in the behind the scene, Mia says it was minstraly and she called him Bojangles in the show. I think it was trying to show his “it” factor and doing the old “dining for your supper” trope and it completely backfired in him. 

16 hours ago, littlepaw said:

Why (Coming to) "America"? It just seemed like such an odd choice.

Yes! I understand he was trying to show his It factor, and that Mia thought it was minstrelsy, but WHY that song? So weird. If it was supposed to appear to be a surprise tribute to Alex, shouldn’t it have been like, I don’t know, a nice song about a woman, or a welcome back, missed you type song?  It just didn’t make sense to me. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, littlepaw said:

Why (Coming to) "America"? It just seemed like such an odd choice. Well, so did the singing, but...."America"??

Okay so I just realized I think he’s talking about COVID is Coming to America. 

I binged all of season 1 over the past week. Thought all of season 2 had already aired.

I loved season 1 but I’m not enjoying this season at all. I know people had issue with Bradley last season but I didn’t and enjoyed her. Now I can’t stand her.

Cory was awesome last season and now I’m not liking his character.

I miss the Claire character. The vibe is totally different now. I’m disappointed.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SoWindsor said:

Okay so I just realized I think he’s talking about COVID is Coming to America. 

That makes about as much sense as anything. He may not have even meant it intentionally, but it definitely has a ring of irony. Or, he could have been using the song as more of a warning that anything. Maybe it'll play again over the end credits in a future song. 

My take was that Daniel's rationale for choosing a patriotic song was that he was trying to pander as much as possible to viewers who don't care for Black, gay intellectuals.

As in, "Conservative red-staters won't be able to resist me if I give them a song and dance about how much I love America, and dedicate the performance to a white lady!"

But I totally agree that the whole thing was bizarre and convoluted.

It would have worked so much better if he'd actually been a good singer. Then he wouldn't seem like such a fool for thinking it might work. And maybe some the audience actually would have been moved by what he was doing.

• Love 4

Honestly I thought it was supposed to be a total WTF moment to show Daniel’s cracking a little. It’s the only way it makes any kind of sense to me. It was a hilariously terrible performance either way. 

On 10/8/2021 at 8:24 PM, coconspirator said:

I'm also still not entirely sure I understand Stella's viewpoint on Alex. I feel like I missed something. 

Singing was Daniel's way to show everyone he has "the it factor". That's my take.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:47 AM, juno said:

Why devote a large part of the episode and season on the redemption arc of scumbag Mitch? Why portray him as human garbage in season one and ask the audience to forget everything and try to get behind his redemption. So far I have been fast forwarding through his scenes. Don't care.

For me, it is just the opposite. I can't turn away when Steve Carell is on the screen. His skill as an actor is captivating and I admire the actor, not the character.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 10/9/2021 at 10:12 PM, Johnny Dollar said:

Laura after Bradley gives her a $300 Crate and Barrel gift card: “That vase cost $30,000.”

Honestly? I have no idea how much a Crate and Barrel vase cost so I took a look at the website. Most vases are under $100. What am I missing? Did Laura tell Bradley the cost of the vase? Did I miss that?

Crate and Barrel Vases

Edited by luvthepros
On 10/21/2021 at 9:43 PM, Johnny Dollar said:

It’s more likely a one of a kind piece by an up and coming artist that Bradley thought looked like something you buy at Crate & Barrel

That makes more sense. Why didn't I think of that?

Bradley is just unbearable this season.  Like, she’s not even been at the network a full year and she’s already acting like she owns the place.  Yes, Cory is her boss and he is way too nice to her.  She’s let the “fame” get to her head, even though I think they said she is in third place in the ratings??

I felt bad for Yanko, as he seems to be the only decent person left to root for.  I was rooting for Daniel and all his truth bombs in prior episodes, but I have no idea what the fuck he was thinking with that song.

Whenvever Jennifer Aniston and Juliana Margulies (sp) try to form any type of facial expression they both have that vaguely disfigured look to them that screams too much Botox/fillers/????.  It’s not overt, but it’s enough to notice somethings just not right.  A shame, they are both beautiful women.

On 10/8/2021 at 2:49 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Really not interested in Mitch-Paola’s romcom in Italy. They can quarantine and have Covid together off-screen.

I am interested if it turns from a romcom into a horror movie. Because looking back, being in Italy and getting original recipe COVID when hospitals are overwhelmed seems like it would be aweful.

On 10/9/2021 at 10:12 PM, Johnny Dollar said:

Laura after Bradley gives her a $300 Crate and Barrel gift card: “That vase cost $30,000.”

Yea I was waiting for something like that. Like it was a one of a kind piece from the Renaissance that she got at an auction or something.