Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Sober Sex, Plastic Silverware, and Losing My Religion

Pallas
  • Start Topic

On 10/4/2021 at 9:36 PM, MissLucas said:

Well, after last week's Bible drawer anything goes - maybe there's a grimoire stashed in the colander?

Apparently there's also a sewing drawer. Right between the stove and the sink. Because that's the logical place for a sewing drawer.

"Let's go down there and crash Louise's wedding dress shopping that she clearly didn't invite us to!

"Well, I guess we have to."

Uh, no. No, you don't.

Why do they think this version of Jackie is funny?

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 20

Yeah, figured that's what was driving Darlene being so pushy this episode. Glad she and Louise worked things out, though. I do like the idea of them getting to know each other better, I think that could work well for both of them in a lot of ways. 

Also liked the second dress Louise picked (and thank you, Mark, for expressing my exact thoughts about the first one :p). And I really loved the dress Harris had on, she looked beautiful in it. 

Good to see Mikey again. I'm curious to see if there'll be more to them getting together as they did, could be interesting to see them bond further and continue getting to know each other better and whatnot. 

Also like the pastor. His advice to Darlene was good (and I loved his explanation to the congregation about why she ran out :p). 

• Love 18

I loved this episode!!

I liked Becky & Mike and hope that's explored more later on they make a nice couple, but I have to admit I was surprised she slept with him so fast.

I hated how Darlene came down so hard on Louise like that, but I figured she was upset about her & Ben still so I guess I can forgive her and I'm so glad her & Louise worked it out and hopefully they can get close. Liked how Harris and Mark helped Louise out with her dress shopping that was cute!

I liked both dresses Louise picked, but definitely the second one was gorgeous and I'm assuming that's the one she picked. 

Next week is the big day so I can't wait!! 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 9

I do like Mike. Who is the actor playing him?

If Louise didn't like Darlene's idea she should just say so instead of lying.

Emilo and Beverly Rose are MIA.... does anyone still work at Wellmans?!?! LOL

Edited by greekmom
  • Love 10

Harris looked so pretty in the bridesmaids dress.  Louise is very sweet to include Mark and Harris.  Hopefully she did not forget about Mary.  
 Darlene is just so annoying so far this season.  Others have problems too.  
     Jackie was drinking a lot.  She still really misses her sister.  Hope she behaves at the wedding.  

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I do like Mike. Who is the actor playing him?

If Louise didn't like Darlene's idea she should just say so instead of lying.

Maybe she didn't want Darlene to get the wrong idea because she knows Darlene has been having a rough time and Darlene did come down hard on Louise which wasn't fair either because it wasn't her wedding besides Louise did apologize and explained her reasoning which I don't blame her.

The actor who plays Mike is Darien Sills-Evans

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

She was funny last week when she was classic Jackie. Her screaming at Louise this week over the dress shopping was unhinged. It distracted me from the scene. 

• Love 21
6 minutes ago, OLynn33 said:

She was funny last week when she was classic Jackie. Her screaming at Louise this week over the dress shopping was unhinged. It distracted me from the scene. 

Yeah that was weird and very uncalled for, but maybe it was because of the alcohol? 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Apparently there's also a sewing drawer. Right between the stove and the sink. Because that's the logical place for a sewing drawer.

I wonder if there are drawers that actually contain kitchen stuff?  It’s not like that kitchen has a lot of cabinets in it. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, tribeca said:

JMHO

Jackie is not ok with this wedding.  

I don't know about that. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt for now especially because her & Louise are getting along at least for the most part and I like that it's great especially for the fact of how she treated Louise in the beginning which I hated. I just hope she doesn't ruin Dan & Louise's wedding day I'm more concerned about her than anyone else ruining it. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I wonder if there are drawers that actually contain kitchen stuff?  It’s not like that kitchen has a lot of cabinets in it. 

If she had called it the junk drawer that would have made more sense. Most people have a drawer for miscellaneous stuff in the kitchen where scissors would likely go. (I wanna know what other sewing supplies are in there. My mom's sewing drawer is the bottom drawer of her dresser. I just have a sewing box and it's in the closet in my office/library/storage room/yoga studio.) And the scissors go in a magnetic bin on the side of my fridge. I only have three drawers in the kitchen.)

Also how did Jackie get the other scissors apart so she could throw them like darts?

• Love 7

"I'm so proud of you for being sober, but you were sweeter when you were drunk; sometimes I miss my tipsy little angel."  This show always has some of its best lines in the open.

I'm glad they're revisiting Becky and Mikey's new friendship, and LOL at "This whole thing is going to be embarrassing and awful" about having sex after they both ate a heavy meal and then at how awkward it indeed was at first.  Becky is very much not ready for a romantic relationship, as she said, and I'm glad he respects that.

Louise not having a single non-Conner in her life to help with all the wedding stuff or even have in her wedding is typical TV ridiculousness, but I'll go with it for "Keep spinning - until the dress flies off you and back onto the rack."  Amen, Mark; that first dress was hideous.  I don't like the second one, either, but it looks better on her.

Darlene and Louise both handled themselves well after their initial missteps.  I can see them developing a good relationship.

But if between now and the wedding someone in this family doesn't express how bittersweet it is to see Dan marry someone else, I'm going to lose my shit.  I get it, writers, you hate Roseanne Barr.  I do, too.  But these people loved Roseanne Conner, and there's an inevitable occasional emotional tug, no matter how much time has passed, how organically it happened, and how good Louise and Dan are together, yet we haven't had one single "Is this ever kind of weird to you too?" moment between the kids about that.  Louise marrying and moving in better finally trigger something realistically nuanced from someone before everyone just concentrates on the positive.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 21
Just now, tessaray said:

right up until Louise goes to change something in the house.

Spoiler

Well according to the writers this is gonna be the complicated part for everyone so it's going be interesting how that goes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I dislike Darlene more and more every episode. She sucks so bad. She’s such a POS asshole that ruins everything. Can’t we spend less time on stupid Darlene and her dumb journey.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 21

An uneven but mostly ok episode. I too thought Mike was married, it seemed to be inferred in his first appearance. Also, guess I'm an old fogey, but do people that are just "old friends" just have spontaneous sex like that so easily? But I am glad the inter-racial thing wasn't brought up. Funniest parts of the episode: Mark as Wedding Planner (although a wee bit stereotypical) and Harris suddenly being ok with the Bridesmaid tradition once she realized how good she looked in that dress.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 9
44 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I too thought Mike was married, it seemed to be inferred in his first appearance.

What in his prior episode implied that?  I don't know this show the way I do the original, so I just re-watched their dinner (and teared up again at Becky's fantasy life of paying off Dan's house so he was retired, and having a baby whose future is secure - and laughed again at Becky's IKEA bench grad school [I love tonight when she said she almost panicked worse and went with Chumbawumba]), and he's not wearing a wedding ring nor does he say anything about his personal life other than also getting emotional when he was able to help his family.

I also watched Becky's talk with Darlene afterward, and there's nothing there either.

So is there something in Becky's conversation with someone before the dinner (I didn't watch the first half) - maybe about her reading something upon looking him up after he got in contact with her - that is what she's referring to tonight as having caused her to infer he's married?

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yes. I hate the fact that Jackie is now "Daffy Duck" and not someone that the Conner "kids" can go to for emotional support. Maybe if I'd never seen the original recipe Roseanne, it wouldn't bother me so much but that Jackie was one of the greatest characters on TV. There's no way she wouldn't be there 100% for Darlene, Becky and DJ, especially after Roseanne's death.

I actually enjoyed Darlene's talk with the pastor and figuring out what was really bothering her was that she wasn't the one getting married. Becky's whole story fell a little flat for me and I didn't find her scenes very funny. I like Mikey though and am glad everything worked out for her.

I liked how Mark was not hurt but rather concerned about Louise's dress. That was funny as well as telling her to spin around until the dress found it's way back on the rack.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

So is there something in Becky's conversation with someone before the dinner (I didn't watch the first half) - maybe about her reading something upon looking him up after he got in contact with her - that is what she's referring to tonight as having caused her to infer he's married?

Not sure. I think it was in the writing/directing in Mike's first appearance - almost like they wanted to keep his relationship status vague in case the show-runners wanted to go down a relationship road. Mike didn't seem to have any romantic interest in her originally. But either way, I'm glad Becky got a little lovin' from a guy that seems really, really decent. One thing though - who keeps their glasses on during or after sex????

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 5

I liked this conversation with the pastor a lot better than last week's - especially that he admitted that religion might not be the answer for Darlene. Her plot can go either way but I appreciate that he did not push for God as the one answer to all her problems and gave good advice. The wedding drama was maybe a bit exaggerated. Darlene went from 0 to 100 within one day but in the end it worked out, so I'm fine with that. (It's clear that in this current constellation the writers can't figure out what to do with Jackie and it shows. I tend to ignore her Duffy scenes although I was a bit bothered to see her and Darlene leaving the house through different doors when rushing to the bridal shop. Jackie was drunk so I hope she wasn't driving there on her own.)

Good for Becky to be honest with Mike. But I'm not entirely convinced going for sober sex was such a good idea, especially in light of his (late) admission to have feelings for her. I'm glad she told him about the one year rule but I can't help wondering if she also told him about having a baby. 

I'm impressed how Dan handled the conflict between his fiancée and his daughter. No drama, pushing for honesty, leaving them to sort it out once the elephant in the room had become visible. That was some good writing.

• Love 12

I could have REALLY done without the sober sex plotline, especially after Mikey admitted to having feelings for Becky. Just...blah.

I hate the Daffy Duck jokes about Jackie, but I actually LOVE Drunk!Jackie, for the most part. I could almost forget about the existence of Wacky!Jackie. Almost.

I need Darlene to stay as far away from religion as possible.

I do hope she and Louise become closer, though. 

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:
1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

One thing though - who keeps their glasses on during or after sex????

Me.....'cause Mr. Yogisbooboo finds it sexy, 😛

Oh yeah - the Naughty Librarian look 🤣

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I'm impressed how Dan handled the conflict between his fiancée and his daughter. No drama, pushing for honesty, leaving them to sort it out once the elephant in the room had become visible. That was some good writing.

And acting as well. John Goodman does those "quiet moments" scenes better than almost anyone in the business, IMO.

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I liked this conversation with the pastor a lot better than last week's - especially that he admitted that religion might not be the answer for Darlene. Her plot can go either way but I appreciate that he did not push for God as the one answer to all her problems and gave good advice.

Good acting from Jason Alexander as well. Funny and really subtle at the same time. Most of the cast brought their "A" games last night and made good use of some uneven writing.

• Love 11
31 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Oh yeah - the Naughty Librarian look 🤣

And acting as well. John Goodman does those "quiet moments" scenes better than almost anyone in the business, IMO.

Good acting from Jason Alexander as well. Funny and really subtle at the same time. Most of the cast brought their "A" games last night and made good use of some uneven writing.

I like his pastor. He didn't push his religion he just suggested a lot of different ways Darlene could get help.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, UYI said:

I hate the Daffy Duck jokes about Jackie, but I actually LOVE Drunk!Jackie, for the most part. I could almost forget about the existence of Wacky!Jackie. Almost.

Me too, Drunk!Jackie works for me so I was having fun in that part. I just wish the more grounded Jackie also still existed because the contrast is more fun!

I'm tired of almost every episode being about Darlene being awful, even when they do the big "reveal" explaining why she was awful. They don't have to do this. Just let her be funny and not awful for one episode, ever??

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

LOL, I don't look like him....but my sight ain't as good as it used to be, my glasses do make me sexier.

It's all good - there is something about glasses that makes most women look so smart and desirable, I totally get it.😁 And FWIW, I'm damn near legally blind without my glasses, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
48 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

Outside of the dress shopping, I didn’t care for this one. I just don’t like the Becky storyline. The whole sleeping with one guy while still married to another guy bothers me. 

I forgot all about Emilio.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

It's all good - there is something about glasses that makes most women look so smart and desirable, I totally get it.😁 And FWIW, I'm damn near legally blind without my glasses, lol.

The weirdest thing happened to me a couple years ago. I was trying a new blood pressure med and it made me lightheaded. One day I fainted. I broke my nose, split my lip and other assorted owies. The weird thing was, I no longer needed reading glasses.

image.png.71184199362bc177c96d23d5dcc9c05f.png

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The weirdest thing happened to me a couple years ago. I was trying a new blood pressure med and it made me lightheaded. One day I fainted. I broke my nose, split my lip and other assorted owies. The weird thing was, I no longer needed reading glasses.

Hey good friend Peaches! We haven't chatted in a minute. Good to know that the only lasting effects from that were only positive ones. Kind of like the stories where people come out of comas with newly acquired talents or the ability to speak a second language.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Hey good friend Peaches! We haven't chatted in a minute. Good to know that the only lasting effects from that were only positive ones. Kind of like the stories where people come out of comas with newly acquired talents or the ability to speak a second language.

Hey, pal!🙋‍♂️  I had a friend who's mom got cancer. She went through chemo and surgery. All of her grey hair fell out and when she was better, her hair grew back and it was black and curly!

• Love 6

I was really expecting Becky or Mike to back out at the last second and the other one to be relieved. Kind of impressed they (the show, not the characters) went through with it.

2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Hey, pal!🙋‍♂️  I had a friend who's mom got cancer. She went through chemo and surgery. All of her grey hair fell out and when she was better, her hair grew back and it was black and curly!

My friend's mom's hair also grew back curly after chemo. Don't think it changed color, though.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

One thing though - who keeps their glasses on during or after sex????

Not during, but, yes, I put mine on after, since everything a foot or farther from my face is fuzzy without them.

4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I can't help wondering if she also told him about having a baby. 

She told him that when they had dinner in his first episode.

2 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

The whole sleeping with one guy while still married to another guy bothers me.

It doesn't bother me because they're only married on paper, they don't actually have a marital relationship in which sexual fidelity - or anything - has been promised.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

At first I thought Darlene might experiment a little with various religions and find something she needed in Islam. That would be been interesting.

Harris looked amazing. 

Katey Sagal is still beautiful. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

9 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Yes. I hate the fact that Jackie is now "Daffy Duck" and not someone that the Conner "kids" can go to for emotional support. Maybe if I'd never seen the original recipe Roseanne, it wouldn't bother me so much but that Jackie was one of the greatest characters on TV. There's no way she wouldn't be there 100% for Darlene, Becky and DJ, especially after Roseanne's death.

Original recipe Jackie was indeed one of the greatest characters on tv - loving, loyal, always striving in adversity, occasionally kooky but reliable when it counted (emotionally codependent on her sister but self sufficient, was able to loan the Conners $ or stand in as parental backup, etc) Metcalf and Goodman brought the real heart to the show even when writing was weakest, and when it was great they soared and took the rest of the cast with them. When things went off the rails I wondered what the hell Metcalf was thinking -- just sticking it out for the paycheck out of loyalty to Roseanne? Secret urge to really play broad physical comedy that was stifled by her serious work? And even if that was true, why not push for better NOW?  (Forgive me if she is trying her best and the show runner actually WANTS it this way)

In the Conners there was that one brilliant flash when she went after Becky for drinking and endangering the baby. THAT was Jackie. Not this scofflaw Gilligan bitter wreck of a human being.  If they're rewriting Becky's ambition back into her then they can rewrite Jackie's better qualities too. Deal with Andy. If you don't want him on the show, make him have died and THAT sent her around the bend and she can get the treatment she needs instead of spiraling into this person we don't recognize. It's sad that tragedy may be the only way for them to connect to the heart of these characters we love so much, but if they have to go there to find it, so be it.   

I like Jason Alexander and assume they're aiming for him to be her new relationship? Don't like him for that. Love Becky's friend/beau . Even if he ends up being "just" a friend he brings more to the show than most of the cast.

Funny how they're hiding the growth spurt of the actor who plays Mark - he's always stooped over at the counter, then they cut to him already seated.

• Love 18

I've heard of this idea where if you are working through AA treatment (or other kinds of mental health issues), you shouldn't get involved in a relationship.  Given the rationale for that, I'm a little surprised that casual sex has a green light.  I'm guessing that could also lead to complications, especially with a good friend - as in oops, turns out he has feelings for you.  Is this really an approved thing?  I know sex has virtually no meaning in today's culture, but wow.

6 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

More like the Ben Turpin look, as I have a lazy eye. 

Kudos for the Ben Turpin reference.  I confess I would have never known he was at all except for a throwaway reference to him by Laura on The Dick Van Dyke Show.  I had to look him up to find out who he was.

• Love 7