Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: True Crime

• Start Topic

Upper West Side neighbors Charles, Oliver & Mabel bond over a shared love of true crime. When a fellow resident dies in their building, the trio determine to solve the mystery and record an accompanying podcast.

Available August 31, 2021

only-murders-in-the-building-elevator-ri

only-murders-in-the-building.jpg

Selena Gomez (Mabel) doesn't have a whale tattoo in real life, so it is probably a clue.

Mabel knew Tim Kono from High School since he was one of her Hardy Boys.

Mabel doesn't actually live in the building. Her apartment is 2 to 3 times larger than the other apartments and stripped bare. Did she commandeer several apartments by breaking through the walls while thoroughly searching the places. She did think she could climb through the vents into the neighboring apartments. Her fantasies of killing people help her sleep at night.

Mabel really seemed to like that ring, was she mad that Tim Kono was going to give it to somebody else. 

The person seen going up the stairs while everybody else was going down the stairs will probably be important.

Why would Tim Kono be carrying a garbage bag into the elevator and why do the 3 think it is the same one they found in the trash, I would assume it would still be in his apartment.

All 3 seem to be keeping secrets.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Excellent episode!  I'm hooked! 

I'm hooked as well.  I'll have to watch the beginning again because it seemed like when they first showed the locations of the apartments (which floor each of the three main characters lived on), it didn't match up with how they would get on and off the elevator.  Wasn't Martin Short's character -- Oliver? -- shown living on the highest floor of all three, yet he got off the elevator before Charles and Mabel?

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, MMLEsq said:

I'm hooked as well.  I'll have to watch the beginning again because it seemed like when they first showed the locations of the apartments (which floor each of the three main characters lived on), it didn't match up with how they would get on and off the elevator.  Wasn't Martin Short's character -- Oliver? -- shown living on the highest floor of all three, yet he got off the elevator before Charles and Mabel?

Oh, I don't know! I'm not sure I'm following it all that close.  LOL!  Not a true crime fan, but I am loving the character depth so far.  I'll rewatch too!

Marty's character calls it "the World Wide Web" in 2019-2020ish?  I'd hate him on sight too. 

While they're not Mrs. Maisel level, those would be pretty expensive apartments in modern New York City. So yeah.  The dropped in explanation of how they got them was completely necessary. 

The weird imaginary stuff (people and things falling) was... interesting. I didn't hate it.  

17 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Her fantasies of killing people help her sleep at night.

It was also significant she arrived at that restaurant so longer after the other two. 

10 hours ago, MMLEsq said:

Wasn't Martin Short's character -- Oliver? -- shown living on the highest floor of all three

No, I'm pretty sure Mabel was the highest floor.  The credits show this too. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I thought Charles lived on 14, Oliver lived below him (maybe on 12?), and Mabel lived on 10? Now I need to rewatch the first episode to see them hit the elevator buttons again!

I loved it, it was quirky and funny but also more serious than I expected. The sets are gorgeous. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, emma675 said:

I thought Charles lived on 14, Oliver lived below him (maybe on 12?), and Mabel lived on 10? Now I need to rewatch the first episode to see them hit the elevator buttons again!

I just rewatched the first 5 minutes with opening credits. The credits show Charles on the lowest floor, Oliver above him, and Mabel on the highest floor. BUT in the elevator Charles hit 14, Oliver hit 10, and Mabel hit 12. I assume we are supposed to notice and obsess about this.

Steve Martin can do no wrong in my book. One of the all time greats. After one episode I love this.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

I am hooked right away, this was a great first episode. I really love stories set in apartment buildings, and this seems like its going to be a great mystery. I certainly cant say I ever expected to see Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez starring in a murder mystery, but its absolutely working. 

• Like 2
  • Love 17

I also hadn't heard about this until it popped up as a recommendation, but it's an odd and interesting little show.  It gave you a basic sense of the characters really quickly.  Oliver was immediately a lot, and Charles had his perfectly aligned bell peppers in the fridge.  There is a nervous mix of emotions going on.

I was startled by the appearance of Tina Fey as the podcast host, but she gave a great heightened reading.  I wonder if we'll get more snippets.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 8/31/2021 at 6:51 PM, BingeyKohan said:

I was charmed by the first episode. Since it takes place inside an apartment building I’m going to imagine it’s a spiritual sequel to The Westing Game.

Ha! I didn't read that book until I was an adult and given it with the challenge to figure it out before the end (I did), so I gave it to my sister with the same challenge. I am unreasonably happy that she didn't figure out the final mystery. 😜

I saw ads for this before watching it, and I was wondering if it was at all similar to The Manhattan Murder Mystery, but it's not, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

• Love 3

Just started to give it a go after hearing positive things and I'm already hooked.  I'm always down for a good murder mystery, but one involving the whole podcast concept and featuring Steve Martin and Martin Short?  Sold!

Obviously both Martin and Short were their normal awesome selves and it was great seeing them bounce off one another again.  But I was pleasantly surprised by Selena Gomez here and thought she held her own pretty well against those two vets.  Not sure how that casting came about, but I think it might end up paying off.

Obviously too early to really get a handle on the supposed murder.  They certainly are making it look like Mabel and she does seem to have the most secrets right now, but I suspect she's a classic "red herring."

Fun seeing a few other familiar faces like Da'Vine Joy Randolph and Maulik Pancholy.  Plus a Tina Fey sighting as the podcaster they were all listening too!

Off to watch the next one!

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 9/2/2021 at 7:29 AM, tennisgurl said:

I am hooked right away, this was a great first episode. I really love stories set in apartment buildings, and this seems like its going to be a great mystery. I certainly cant say I ever expected to see Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez starring in a murder mystery, but its absolutely working. 

Steve Martin did not surprise me at all. He's done a few comedy/mysteries in the past. considering he also created this. I feel like he really enjoys them and I enjoy watching him in them. Martin Short pairs so well with him, so that's delightful. I don't know anything about Selena Gomez, so she's my wildcard.

I also randomly stumbled upon this cause it came up in my suggestions. I love it so far. Blazed through the first 3 episodes in no time. Can't wait for the new one tomorrow and looking forward hearing people's thoughts.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

@SunnyBeBe, it's a reference to a performance art video that Oliver described earlier in the show about a man who fell off a staircase then bounced up again.  It was a metaphor for getting back up and trying again in spite of the continuous challenges of life.

Right. Thanks!

On 8/31/2021 at 9:51 PM, BingeyKohan said:

I was charmed by the first episode. Since it takes place inside an apartment building I’m going to imagine it’s a spiritual sequel to The Westing Game

Thank you for this reference to my very favorite book! I thought the same thing. I hope the show delivers because I’m certainly intrigued. 

1 minute ago, Lukeysboat said:

Thank you for this reference to my very favorite book! I thought the same thing. I hope the show delivers because I’m certainly intrigued. 

<3 Are you just starting? I'm jealous! It is delightful all the way through, I thought. No spoilers beyond that : )

Just starting this after being coaxed into it by a friend. 
Steve Martin and Martin Short are fantastic, but I am not sure about Selena Gomez. I haven’t seen Selena in anything before - is this her voice, genuinely? The flat delivery is throwing me a bit.

Definitely binging this. 

• Love 1

It was a little precious but I liked the intro of Selena's character and throw in Tina Fey and a cute dog and you've got my interest. Right now I care more about the mystery than the mysteries in the characters' lives. The backstory for Steve Martin's character is interesting because he had a good acting moment and cooking an omelette with bell peppers every day to throw in the garbage is weird. Selena's character knowing the dead guy is kind of intriguing but in a How to Get Away With Murder way that I don't really care about right now. I couldn't care less about Martin Short's subplots. 

• Like 1

it's a reference to a performance art video that Oliver described earlier in the show about a man who fell off a staircase then bounced up again.  It was a metaphor for getting back up and trying again in spite of the continuous challenges of life.

I found it irritatingly precious. The first time it happened, I thought Martin Short's character had lost his mind and was being dramatic and would be comically hurt. 

9 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I found it irritatingly precious. The first time it happened, I thought Martin Short's character had lost his mind and was being dramatic and would be comically hurt. 

That could have worked if the source material had been more universally familiar on a level with Noah’s Ark or The Three Bears.

I really, really liked it.

I like mysteries but I prefer those that pull me into the lives of their characters (I care less about the whos and whats than the whys), so I'm a Dorothy Sayers fanatic, for instance.

But when Short's character fell off the stairs then smiled and bounced up... man, that was wonderful. That's what I want. I loved it, the unexpected poetry of it... and I am all in.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:47 PM, aradia22 said:

I loved it. But then again, 75% of the reason I love LA STORY (flaws and all, including the disaster of Victoria Tennant) is the moment when the two lovers walk alone in the park and the statues come to life and they are children again.

I'm a sucker for little unexpected magicalisms, every time.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I liked this first episode, but didn't love it. I may need to watch it again as there was more going on than what I expected.

However, this did nothing to change my extreme dislike of Martin Short. That could be a problem as I continue watching the series.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

I liked this first episode, but didn't love it. I may need to watch it again as there was more going on than what I expected.

However, this did nothing to change my extreme dislike of Martin Short. That could be a problem as I continue watching the series.

WritinMan,

I hope  you stick with this show as I am watching the second season now. I love both Short and Martin but it took a while for me to come around on Selena Gomez. If it makes you feel any better about him Martin Short's character is hated by just about everyone else but our two other crime solvers and his son. I think this show is well written.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, WritinMan said:

I don’t know if you can enjoy the show if you dislike Martin Short so vehemently. Maybe take a pass and avoid the aggravation? His character brings a lot of the humor. It’s a tv show. Why invite the michegas?

• Like 4

I thought the first episode had a somewhat different tone than the rest of season 1, almost like a pilot episode where some of the elements were dropped for the regular season. And it was somewhat disjointed in terms of how much it tried to do; without giving anything away, I think it plays a lot better in retrospect, so if you can get past Martin Short, it might be worth your while. FWIW, I don't think this show is amazingly fantastic; it's just a fun murder mystery with a truly great episode here and there...and some good piano BGM.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I wasn't familiar with Martin Short's work before this show——if I saw him in anything, it didn't register——but IMO, he contributes a lot to the humor and to the cohesiveness of the characters.
I gather your dislike of Short is not personal, so if it's stylistic, maybe this isn't your show? There are a lot of really popular shows I will never watch (Game of Thrones), but I enjoyed the first season of Only Murders In The Building, and even more the second season that is now airing.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 7/18/2022 at 2:12 PM, WritinMan said:

Is it his comedy? Because, I am VERY hit or miss on Martin Short's comedy. I do not think Jimmy Glick is funny at all. I think it's stupid, painfully heavyhanded, and I hate the fat suit. It's like he thinks "He's fat! It's hilarious!" and I just do NOT get it. But I felt the same way about several of his most famous SNL characters too. They tend to be very over the top and obnoxious.

However, as an actor? I adore the guy. I love him when he just turns down the "ME ME ME" dial and ACTS. I love him as the sweet nebbish in "Innerspace," and he and Helena Bonham Carter were the only characters I cared about in that execrable "Merlin" miniseries (Short was terrific as a rare romantic lead and won a much-deserved Emmy). He was also just fantastic in his one-season full-on dramatic guest stint on "Damages" (another Emmy nomination).

If it helps, I like him on this show a lot. I do think he's over the top, but I also buy that his character IS this super-theatrical over-the-top guy, and he's had enough quiet moments to balance it all out for me.

(Note: for you and any other who are curious. Short's autobiography ("I MUST SAY") is really pretty thoughtful, smart, and charming, and talks a lot about the glory days of 70s comedy (with a lot of SNL and SCTV, etc., in the mix). It's also surprisingly honest about his own failings (and failures) and is ultimately pretty moving, with some lovely tributes to people like Gilda Radner, Nora Ephron, Steve Martin, and (more than anyone) Short's late wife. I was genuinely choked up at the end of the book.)

On 7/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, Kiddvideo said:

I don’t know if you can enjoy the show if you dislike Martin Short so vehemently. Maybe take a pass and avoid the aggravation? His character brings a lot of the humor. It’s a tv show. Why invite the michegas?

I love the way you put this, it was perfection. And honestly, Short's character annoys me too sometimes but he has also really affected me as well, so it all balances out. It's interesting -- Steve Martin can be a bit detached as an actor -- he sort of keeps us at arms' length in ways that Short doesn't. So I've come around on liking his character overall.

And I admit it, when I realized he lives on hummus (and perpetually steals hummus and dips from parties and gatherings) I laughed out loud. It's just such a theatre thing to do (I've totally put hors d'oeuvres in my purse, darn it).

On 7/18/2022 at 3:47 PM, shapeshifter said:

I wasn't familiar with Martin Short's work before this show——if I saw him in anything, it didn't register——but IMO, he contributes a lot to the humor and to the cohesiveness of the characters.
I gather your dislike of Short is not personal, so if it's stylistic, maybe this isn't your show? There are a lot of really popular shows I will never watch (Game of Thrones), but I enjoyed the first season of Only Murders In The Building, and even more the second season that is now airing.

He's got a really good rep in Hollywood, honestly, all things considered. When people are insufferable it always gets out eventually, and he's been a sweetheart for decades now.

6 hours ago, marinite said:

I love this. ♥️

Thank you! That totally made me fall over and bounce back up.

Edited by paramitch
oops word usements brain not working
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I like Short quite a bit as a person, but I never forget for a solitary instant that he's MARTIN SHORT every time he's on screen. In some ways the same for Steve Martin, but Steve's stock dramatic character is staid, earnest, good natured, good guy, and that meshes with lots of different material. Martin Short is just MARTIN SHORT turned up to 11 ALL THE TIME.  And I don't get it, because even on SNL he was capable of subtlety.  

As much as I like this show, when he's on screen he's one beat away from going full Ed Grimley and it makes me tense. I never think for one instant that Steve Martin is going to break into Wild and Crazy Guy.

Would love to see Short play a shy, low energy guy for once.

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, paramitch said:

Is it his comedy? Because, I am VERY hit or miss on Martin Short's comedy. I do not think Jimmy Glick is funny at all. I think it's stupid, painfully heavyhanded, and I hate the fat suit. It's like he thinks "He's fat! It's hilarious!" and I just do NOT get it. But I felt the same way about several of his most famous SNL characters too. They tend to be very over the top and obnoxious.

However, as an actor? I adore the guy. I love him when he just turns down the "ME ME ME" dial and ACTS. I love him as the sweet nebbish in "Innerspace," and he and Helena Bonham Carter were the only characters I cared about in that execrable "Merlin" miniseries (Short was terrific as a rare romantic lead and won a much-deserved Emmy). He was also just fantastic in his one-season full-on dramatic guest stint on "Damages" (another Emmy nomination).

If it helps, I like him on this show a lot. I do think he's over the top, but I also buy that his character IS this super-theatrical over-the-top guy, and he's had enough quiet moments to balance it all out for me.

I think my problem with Short is that he's basically been milking the same character for the past 40 years. And that character is over-the-top and incredibly annoying. If you asked me for 50 words to describe Martin Short, "subtle" and "range" would not be on that list. 

Also, I have read some comments of his in past interviews that I found quite obnoxious. (The odds of me finding these again are probably not very high.)

That being said, it seems that he is a somewhat calmer version of himself here, and I have liked him in this show. For example, the flashback episode involving the card game was very good. Although there are still moments of "Short-isms" which I find annoying. Not sure if it's the director or producers or whatever, but he does seem reigned in here and more focused. However, he is still my least favorite of the main three.

It could just be the overall show, which I enjoy quite a bit, that has made him more tolerable. I also don't like Jane Lynch, be she was very funny as Steve Martin's stunt double.

• Love 1
On 9/21/2022 at 7:13 AM, kassa said:

I like Short quite a bit as a person, but I never forget for a solitary instant that he's MARTIN SHORT every time he's on screen. In some ways the same for Steve Martin, but Steve's stock dramatic character is staid, earnest, good natured, good guy, and that meshes with lots of different material. Martin Short is just MARTIN SHORT turned up to 11 ALL THE TIME.  And I don't get it, because even on SNL he was capable of subtlety.  

As much as I like this show, when he's on screen he's one beat away from going full Ed Grimley and it makes me tense. I never think for one instant that Steve Martin is going to break into Wild and Crazy Guy.

Would love to see Short play a shy, low energy guy for once.

Yeah, this is a common thing for me with Short, and people like him -- Robin Williams (still so very missed), Steve Martin (80s Steve), Jim Carrey, etc. I prefer them tamped down, bottled up. Because then that energy comes out not in this manic flailing look-at-me way, but in pure quiet intensity. Even with Williams, while I could recognize his comic genius, it felt too desperate and sweaty to me, I rarely enjoyed it as much as his more dramatic, sensitive work.

Steven Spielberg once commented back in the 90s that he badly wanted to hire Jim Carrey just so he could "sit on him" -- meaning, not let him use every single tool he was so used to falling back on. The irony is, Carrey WAS eventually able to do this (most notably and successfully, for me, in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind).

So I definitely get it. I also remember when Martin was one of those flailing desperate funny types (often, again, brilliantly), but he began to calm it all down little by little, so that after Roxanne, for instance, he was regularly playing more sensitive, dramatic roles as well as comedic ones.

Last but not least, as far as Short, it's interesting because he won his two Emmys by dialing the energy way down. He was terrific (and never, ever in "clown mode" on Season 3 of "Damages." (NOTE: There's a minor spoiler here but out of context it's pretty innocuous.)

On 9/21/2022 at 3:49 PM, WritinMan said:

I think my problem with Short is that he's basically been milking the same character for the past 40 years. And that character is over-the-top and incredibly annoying. If you asked me for 50 words to describe Martin Short, "subtle" and "range" would not be on that list. 

Also, I have read some comments of his in past interviews that I found quite obnoxious. (The odds of me finding these again are probably not very high.)

That being said, it seems that he is a somewhat calmer version of himself here, and I have liked him in this show. For example, the flashback episode involving the card game was very good. Although there are still moments of "Short-isms" which I find annoying. Not sure if it's the director or producers or whatever, but he does seem reigned in here and more focused. However, he is still my least favorite of the main three.

It could just be the overall show, which I enjoy quite a bit, that has made him more tolerable. I also don't like Jane Lynch, be she was very funny as Steve Martin's stunt double.

I agree as far as his routines and the kinds of characters Short does -- he's attracted to a kind of over-the-top Vaudevillian comedy that just doesn't appeal to me. 

On the plus side, he really does have a good rep though in terms of being a sweetheart to work with. And I have a pretty long list of confirmed assholes in Hollywood (some of whom have played really popular, sweet characters).

It's funny that you mention Jane Lynch, because I feel the same way about her -- she's a very funny person but when she does comedy, I just see "Jane Lynch." But when she's quieter, I find her way more interesting (she was just wonderful in a minor but really lovely dramatic supporting  role in The Fugitive long ago).

Edited by paramitch
missing parentheses
  • Love 2