Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 4/6/2022 at 8:00 PM, Katy M said:

I briefly considered Monaco, immediately discarded it, settled on San Marino and at the last second changed it to Malta.  At least I got to travel all around Europe in 30 seconds.

I got the missed clues of Thebes, confirmation, agriculture, and Transcontinental Railroad.

I didn't do great, but better than I've been doing.

I considered other places but did finally land on Monaco in time.  I got all of those missed clues except Transcontinental railroad; I was trying to say it, but couldn't quite get it out of my mouth before time was up.

I like Mattea, although I could do without the septum piercing.  But I've seen worse.

On 4/6/2022 at 10:41 PM, Bastet said:

The adrenaline TS surprised me, as did confirmation (bias), Sir Walter Raleigh, transcontinental railroad and Stagecoach a bit.  I think my biggest surprise was the Lake Mead response to the Great Salt Lake clue

Yeah, those surprised me as well.  I was yelling "Stagecoach, you fools!" at the tv.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, PaulaO said:

The contestants have GOT TO STOP with the “cutesy” comments after they answer.  That should result in automatic disqualification.  It wasn’t cute or funny when James did it.  It’s not cute or funny now.

Eh, most of the time I don't mind it.

16 hours ago, illdoc said:

I don't know which TS upset me more: "Pumping Iron" or "The Blue Boy"????

As for Velcro....I saw an episode of "I've Got a Secret" from 1960 or so (not originally--on Buzzr). The secret was that this woman was going to stand on a ceiling. She put on Velcro-bottomed shoes and they helped her up onto the bottom (ie "ceiling") of a 10-foot  platform and she hung there by just her shoes for several minutes while the host was talking. Velcro was a new thing and a guy (from NASA?) talked about how they were planning on covering the inside of a rocket ship with it and the astronauts would be able to walk around the ship "normally" in the zero-gravity with their Velcro shoes (not, apparently covering the entire bottom of the shoe, just 25%). Obviously, that plan was not carried out (can you imagine hearing the ripping of the Velcro constantly in that tiny area???).

I got Blue Boy but couldn't remember Pumping Iron to save my life.

NASA may have scrapped that plan but they did find Velcro very useful for corralling cables inside the capsules.

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Got home super late and just finished watching on youtube. Ran Literature for Younger Readers, anti-ran Ballpark (though I was in the right city for one of them, at least).

I didn't run Ballpark but did get most of them.  (Damn you, Willie Mays!)  I'd probably have had an argument on my hands about Oriole Park because while the full official title is "Oriole Park at Camden Yards", no one I know here in Maryland calls it anything but Camden Yards, which was my answer.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Driad said:

TheJeopardyFan.com said: "Velcro® is still a branded trademark to refer to a specific brand of hook-and-loop fastener—one effort that the company made to resist the genericization of its trademark was this amusing 2017 YouTube video."

LOL at  the first comment on that video: "I didn't know Hook and Loop was even a company. They sure make make good velcro tough."

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I sure wish I had read earlier in the day about the lend-lease arrangement the United States is entering with Ukraine.  Then maybe I wouldn't've thought that an alliterative policy by which we offered weapons to our allies was "cash and carry," like foreign policy was a wholesale warehouse or something.  Oy!

You weren't that far off!  There was an earlier policy called Cash and Carry, which allowed Allied nations (mostly the UK) to purchase military equipment from the United States, as long as they paid cash for it and transported it themselves.

Lend-Lease came later, in 1941.  Under Lend-Lease, the US essentially gave food, oil, and weapons (including ships and airplanes) to the Allied countries for free, in exchange for leases on military bases in Allied territory.  In theory, the equipment was supposed to be returned after the war, although very little of it actually was.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

You weren't that far off!  There was an earlier policy called Cash and Carry, which allowed Allied nations (mostly the UK) to purchase military equipment from the United States, as long as they paid cash for it and transported it themselves.

Hooray!  Thanks for that.  I wouldn't've said I knew that, but maybe it was stuck in my subconscious.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't run Ballpark but did get most of them.  (Damn you, Willie Mays!)

I thought that one might be tough because it's had 4 names in 20 years.  As recently as 2018 it was AT&T Park.  I'm not a sports fan, so the name of any player likely wouldn't help me, but I know stadium names in various cities...as long as they don't change them!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I thought that one might be tough because it's had 4 names in 20 years.  As recently as 2018 it was AT&T Park.  I'm not a sports fan, so the name of any player likely wouldn't help me, but I know stadium names in various cities...as long as they don't change them!

My problem was that I didn't know which team Mays had played for to begin with, never mind all the stadium name changes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Eh, most of the time I don't mind it.

I got Blue Boy but couldn't remember Pumping Iron to save my life.

NASA may have scrapped that plan but they did find Velcro very useful for corralling cables inside the capsules.

I didn't run Ballpark but did get most of them.  (Damn you, Willie Mays!)  I'd probably have had an argument on my hands about Oriole Park because while the full official title is "Oriole Park at Camden Yards", no one I know here in Maryland calls it anything but Camden Yards, which was my answer.

Everyone calls the Orioles ballpark Camden Yards that was a poorly written clue.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Everyone calls the Orioles ballpark Camden Yards that was a poorly written clue.

I don't think it was poorly written, exactly.  "Birdland" is indeed the section of the park which includes artwork dedicated to baseball players who had played in Baltimore at some point, and anyone who'd know that the Orioles are commonly referred to as "The Birds" here would most likely know the name of their ballpark.  I'd just argue that because the park is locally called Camden Yards rather than Oriole Park, the judges would've had to accept that as a correct answer.

I'm assuming that 'everyone' means baseball fans all over the country when talking about Baltimore's stadium.  I have to admit, I've never heard any of the announcers on non-Baltimore affiliated networks call it Oriole Park either.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I got the Giants only because Willie Mays was in that clue as I had no idea that it was no longer AT&T Park! (In fairness, I follow an AL team so I'm most familiar with those stadiums.) Thank heavens for Yankee Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Wrigley Field, Kauffman Stadium and Fenway Park. May they never change those names.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Thank heavens for Yankee Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Wrigley Field, Kauffman Stadium and Fenway Park. May they never change those names.

Even though it's been gone since 1990, for 80 years and still in my mind, the White Sox play at Cominsky Park. Always was, always will be ... for me anyway.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I left Chicago in the mid 1980s and I don't follow baseball closely, so I had no idea they didn't still play at Comiskey Park

It was "US Cellar Field" (ie "The Cell") for a while, then it became "Guaranteed Rate Field". 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Did okay in the first round. Apparently I know my beans; ran that category. Missed one Multiple Meaning and two in everything else. Did terribly in DJ.

My TSes were Juliette Lewis, Glengarry Glen Ross (total guess; it rhymed with Moss in the clue 🤷🏻‍♂️), hamlet, and Metropolis (DD). 

FJ was beyond an instaget. (As soon as I saw the word "workhouse" I knew it was Dickens. That was a $200-level question in my book.)

Yay, Mattea gets to meet Ken.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 5

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of Da Gama, Edict of Nantes, Heidi Chronicles, Metropolis, and I'm giving myself Ygdrisil because I'm not sure exactly what I said, but I'm going with close enough.  

I had a really bad DJ round.

On an up note, I didn't see last night, because I went to trivia night with my friends and we won. Whoo-hoo!!

• Love 10

I knew FJ was Dickens but couldn't come up with Oliver Twist. I was saying "Please, sir, may I have some more," but for the life of me couldn't remember his name. I must have been sleeping in English classes when they taught Norse Mythology; it seems to be a popular category on Jeopardy, but I know nothing about it. What is "TS" that all of you mention?

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

What is "TS" that all of you mention?

TS means triple stumper. A question that none of the contestants can answer. If you go back on the main Jeopardy page here you will find one choice that is a glossary of the abbreviations and terms we use in this thread. 

FJ was sooooo easy tonight, but at least there will be few at the zero table this week. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

TS means triple stumper. A question that none of the contestants can answer. If you go back on the main Jeopardy page here you will find one choice that is a glossary of the abbreviations and terms we use in this thread. 

FJ was sooooo easy tonight, but at least there will be few at the zero table this week. TT

Thanks for your response. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of Da Gama, Edict of Nantes, Heidi Chronicles, Metropolis, and I'm giving myself Ygdrisil because I'm not sure exactly what I said, but I'm going with close enough.  

I had a really bad DJ round.

On an up note, I didn't see last night, because I went to trivia night with my friends and we won. Whoo-hoo!!

Congrats!

I was so relieved the other contestants got back on the board at the 11th hour... I feel so bad when someone can't play FJ! Even if you don't have a shot at winning, that experience, with the Think music, must be something else. 

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I liked the flowers on Mayim's blouse today. I'm pretty much a sucker for blue flowers.

I liked her blouse, too. Blue is my favorite color. :)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Glengarry Glen Ross

“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”

“Put. That coffee. Down. Coffee's for closers only.”

We had to watch Oliver Twist in grade school so I remembered it.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Well, we're back to form tonight - another game where Mattea's challenges mostly just stand there.  That's three of four now.

American Masters being a TS made me sad.  No one recognizing Juliette Lewis surprised me a little, as did the scale TS.

I missed two each in characters and TV and one in potpourri (you guessed it, the religion clue, but I'd have remembered eucharist with more time to ponder), but got everything else in the first round.

In DJ, I ran writing, but that was it.  I missed all but one in mythology (shocking, I know), three in place, two each in 17th c. and EM, and one in R&B (I was breezing through that category until the $2000 clue, at which I had absolutely no shot, as I'd never heard of Summer Walker).

I rebounded well with FJ, since it was an instaget.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I must have been sleeping in English classes when they taught Norse Mythology

I have a feeling most people these days know Norse Mythology from the Avenger movies.

Meant to ask, Mattea reminds me of someone but I can't place her, any ideas?

Edited by dgpolo
ETA
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Well played?????

That's a good guess.  "GG" could be good/great game.  I play board games online and that's the shorthand some players like to put in the chat box at the end of a game.

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Holy shit. I left Chicago in the mid 1980s and I don't follow baseball closely, so I had no idea they didn't still play at Comiskey Park

My father was born and raised in Bridgeport.  One of the few knickknacks he displays is a brick from the original Comiskey Park.  I'll have to ask him what he calls the new one.

20 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I have a feeling most people these days know Norse Mythology from the Avenger movies.

That's a much nicer thought than mine, which was that many people familiar with Norse mythology today know it through its appropriation by white supremacist groups.

35 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Yeah, my sons would know but action and/or Marvel types of movies are not my thing. 

How the heck did Mattea get Broadway's "How to Succeed in Business Without Even Trying"? That's even a bit before my time, although I knew it. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

How the heck did Mattea get Broadway's "How to Succeed in Business Without Even Trying"? That's even a bit before my time, although I knew it. 

Daniel Radcliffe of Harry Potter fame starred in the 2011 Broadway production. That might have given it some currency with the youth. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
24 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I think Mattea and I are about the same age. Sometime when I was in middle school, it was the annual musical in the attached high school. She might know it from something like that as well as the recent revival with Radcliffe, if she’s not just a musicals fan in general. I’m not sure whether it’s still doing the rounds in schools 15 years later but I imagine the extent to which it seems tired and dated vs relevant “period piece” depends a lot on presentation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Even though it's been gone since 1990, for 80 years and still in my mind, the White Sox play at Cominsky Park. Always was, always will be ... for me anyway.

Agreed. Even when the old park closed and the White Sox moved to the new park, it was still called Comiskey Park for a decade or so! Then they sold the naming rights. 😒 

I got several TS tonight, but Metropolis was an absolute instaget for me. Some years ago, our family was driving halfway across the country. Soon after we crossed from Kentucky into Illinois, we exited the interstate for a bathroom break and at the exit there was a small sign that said "Giant Superman Statue." ⬅️ Both of my then-teenage sons wanted to go see the statue, so we did. In addition to the statue, there's a large "Welcome to Metropolis" billboard with comic book style lettering and also a small Superman museum. As roadside attractions go, it was a fun find. (I pulled a photo from the Internet as my photos from that trip aren't on my phone.) 

Oliver Twist may well be my fastest FJ response ever. 😄

Screenshot_20220408-235950_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Love 7
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

That's a much nicer thought than mine, which was that many people familiar with Norse mythology today know it through its appropriation by white supremacist groups.

It occurs to me that this could be read to indicate that I wondered whether those onstage answering questions on Norse myth may be white supremacists.  That sounds silly, but you never know these days!

To clarify, I only meant that, when I did badly in that category and wondered how I might learn about it / who is talking about it / etc, that is what came to my mind first, and I think it's a shame that these myths have been co-opted in that way.  I wish Marvel had popped into my head first - that's a much less grim thought.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Beyond the fact J! contestants generally study pop culture they weren't exposed to on their own (that which was popular when they were pre-teens, teens, and young adults with some degree of autonomy plus that which they saw/heard via their parents or grandparents who controlled what was viewed and discussed at home) in order to lessen the "before their time" risk factor, I think "corporate bigwig" could have been enough to prompt a contestant to pair that up with How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying in their mental rolodex as a guess even if they didn't know the names and plot to be sure.  It's not an obscure title; it was a $1000 clue, so not difficult enough to be a DJ clue but placed in the most difficult first round slot, and I think appropriately placed, so I wasn't surprised any given J! contestant of any age could come up with it (or that any given J! contestant of any age couldn't).

• Love 6

Mattea risks only $2k because she wants to “keep her lead”? Come on, she could have lost $10k and still been way ahead. Live a little! If you listened closely, I think you could hear James Holzhauer weeping softly into his sofa cushions.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Daphne Zuniga?

image.thumb.jpeg.5e507957f18822942caf90c9553f1fa8.jpeg

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

No one recognizing Juliette Lewis surprised me a little

I recognized her, but her name didn't come to me in time.

9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Glengarry Glen Ross

“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”

“Put. That coffee. Down. Coffee's for closers only.”

"Will. You. Go. To lunch."

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Yeah, my sons would know but action and/or Marvel types of movies are not my thing. 

It's before my time but I know it from mad Men. Several references to it in the series including Robert Morse being in both shows. 

On the other hand somehow I came up with Glengarry glen ross out of nowhere no idea how I even knew it

• Love 1

I knew How to Succeed... largely because I did it in community theater a few years ago.  I was Mr. Twimble, the head of the mail room.  But more generally, anyone going on Jeopardy! would be well advised to brush up on musical theater if it's not something they already know about.  It's a subject that Jeopardy! goes back to pretty regularly.

Speaking of musicals, I'm embarrassed that my response to FJ was "Oliver."  I'd like to think that, had I actually been standing there for 30 seconds, I would have remembered to add the "Twist" part, but I can't say for certain! 😀

• Love 11
9 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

...I think "corporate bigwig" could have been enough to prompt a contestant to pair that up with How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying in their mental rolodex as a guess even if they didn't know the names and plot to be sure. 

As Bastet mentioned, the title is How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, and not, Without Even Trying.

• Love 3

13 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I knew FJ was Dickens but couldn't come up with Oliver Twist. I was saying "Please, sir, may I have some more," but for the life of me couldn't remember his name. I must have been sleeping in English classes when they taught Norse Mythology; it seems to be a popular category on Jeopardy, but I know nothing about it. What is "TS" that all of you mention?

I don't recall Norse Mythology being taught in my English classes (lit major here), I learned my Norse Mythology primarily through a New Zealander tv show called "The Almighty Johnsons" (which, if you have access to it, is a lot of fun). And a smidge from the Avengers movies, of which I've watched a few with my kids (grown women, that is).

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I liked the flowers on Mayim's blouse today. I'm pretty much a sucker for blue flowers.

I loved that blouse.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

American Masters being a TS made me sad.  No one recognizing Juliette Lewis surprised me a little, as did the scale TS.

I managed to get American Masters, and I recognized Lewis but for the life of me could not pull her name out of my brain.

10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I think Mattea and I are about the same age. Sometime when I was in middle school, it was the annual musical in the attached high school. She might know it from something like that as well as the recent revival with Radcliffe, if she’s not just a musicals fan in general. I’m not sure whether it’s still doing the rounds in schools 15 years later but I imagine the extent to which it seems tired and dated vs relevant “period piece” depends a lot on presentation.

My kids are possibly around the same age as you, and every single play their school put on was an old 50's or early 60's play. (well except for Almost, Maine - in which the teacher switched the gender of one of the characters so there was no "gay" reference, which made the scene nonsensical). My kids, who were in many of the plays, complained about her a lot - and for good reason....but I digress.

It was an excellent game for me (especially compared to my lackluster games of late), I ran Pulitzer and Beans, and did very well (even surprisingly in the R&B category).

FJ was an instaget. I've read the book, seen the play (children's version with my kids in it), seen the movie as a kid. Knew most of those songs by heart.

I am amazed I got Glengarry Glenn Ross because I did not like it and because the name is something of a tongue twister for me.

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Juliette Lewis surprised me a little, as did the scale TS.

I recognized her right away, I’ve seen Yellowjackets, but I could not pull her name from my brain in time.

And count me as another who knew the Norse mythology ones only because of the Marvel films. Loki, Mjolnir & Midgard are all heavily featured in the Thor and Avengers series.

Also got all the Pulitzer titles, except for the Heidi Chronicles, instantly. Glengarry Glen Ross is a great film if you’ve never seen it. Saw How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying with Daniel Radcliffe on Broadway so that question was easy and I didn’t question at all why Mattea knew it.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 7