Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I had to think about it for a second, but I did get FJ tonight!  That's one for the week...

I also got the TS of stationery/stationary, powwow, Joseph Conrad, mole, Skylab, and avoirdupois.  I even surprised myself by remembering how to spell avoirdupois.

• Hugs 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

FJ was a near-instaget, albeit with a slight question mark at the end.

I got it too! and I was so surprised, I said it with a big question mark at the end.

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

I work across the street from Museum Row!  Just passed there two hours ago!

Howdy neighbor! Fellow Long Islander.

I had to skip out of watching most of the episode tonight as something came up. From what I saw of the show I got the TS's of Museum Row and Tarte Tatin.

I'm assuming Ryan is still the champion?

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I'm assuming Ryan is still the champion?

Yes, he is. Wyatt built an early lead but Ryan came on strong in DJ and made it another runaway.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I was a little late tuning in, so had to play the "Don't Get Confused" category via the archive at commercial break.  The stationery TS in that one surprised me, since they chose it last of the five, so it's not like they weren't yet used to what the category meant; that was very much a $200 clue, so I was surprised it went unanswered.  The powwow TS surprised me a bit, too, as did museum, with "M" spotted.

I always check the game dynamics graph on the archive after the episode to get the data behind my impressions of game trajectory, and poor Lucia was a complete non-entity in the first round; she only successfully rang in once, and that was on clue #28.  It wasn't much better in DJ; she only answered four more clues, and got one of those wrong.  That has to sting, and I hope she's ultimately happy she got to do something special.

If it wasn't for the Renaissance art category, I'd have had a great first round, missing only three, but I blew that category other than correctly guessing Florence.

In DJ, I figured the superhero category was going to be a disaster for me, and I was right -- I only knew Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (having picked up that fact about their names via cultural osmosis; I've never seen the films or shows).  Other than that, I did well.  I only ran "M" and fiend words, but I got all but one in history and missed two each in the others.

At least FJ was an instaget (well, an instaguess I, upon further thought, felt confident was indeed correct), after two FJs in a row of not even having a guess.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2

This was the 3rd (? 4th?) FJ miss in a row for me. Gah. Clearly I need a nap.

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't about the rest of you, but I'm having fun responding with FIRE to almost everything. Bwaahahahaha

I’ve noticed. 🔥 🔥 I’m also enjoying putting teddy bears everywhere. Because who doesn’t love a 🧸?

• Hugs 8
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 1

An okay game for me. I got the missed answers of woodcuts and avoirdupuis.

The FJ category didn't look good for me but it turned out to be an easy guess so I got my first and only FJ of the week.

I'm glad Ryan continues to win.  At least I didn't have to worry about last night's outcome.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I missed a couple of clues which I knew and couldn't pull to the surface in time, which is the worst.

That's the story of my life on Jeopardy.

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I love teddy bears, but I'm not a hugger.  😉

Me neither, but virtual hugs are okay. Up close and personal (with anyone other than family and close friends) is what I try to avoid.

1 hour ago, ABay said:

On J! Venetian artist is always Tinteretto or Titian and yet I always say Botticelli.

Same.

I didn't have a particularly good game, but at least I got FJ so I don't end up the week with zip.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

"In 2020 more than 2 miles of this iconic San Francisco street were permanently closed to automobile traffic" gets a raised eyebrow from me.  Local government made a big noise about "Car-Free Market Street," but there are plenty of automobiles still there.  In addition to lawbreakers, taxis are allowed, as are any vehicles with commercial plates.

I would've had no issues with the clue if it had read "private automobile traffic."  For most, the clue probably boiled down to "name an important street in San Francisco that begins with an 'M,'" but for this SF local and frequent transit rider or walker along Market, what was presented was incomplete and could be misleading.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

"In 2020 more than 2 miles of this iconic San Francisco street were permanently closed to automobile traffic" gets a raised eyebrow from me.  Local government made a big noise about "Car-Free Market Street," but there are plenty of automobiles still there.  In addition to lawbreakers, taxis are allowed, as are any vehicles with commercial plates.

I would've had no issues with the clue if it had read "private automobile traffic."  For most, the clue probably boiled down to "name an important street in San Francisco that begins with an 'M,'" but for this SF local and frequent transit rider or walker along Market, what was presented was incomplete and could be misleading.

Well it did say "car free" not automobile free although a taxi may be a car so you have a point there. Most pedestrianized streets allow commercial vehicles for deliveries etc but I have no idea why taxis would be allowed.

Ryan is such a surprising long-term champ. Even when he dominates a game, his demeanor is so casual that I don't notice. It was always obvious to me when someone like Matt or James H. were steamrolling everyone and dominating the game.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Well it did say "car free" not automobile free although a taxi may be a car so you have a point there. Most pedestrianized streets allow commercial vehicles for deliveries etc but I have no idea why taxis would be allowed.

It isn't really a pedestrianized street, at least in the sense I understand that term.  Pedestrians are still expected to remain on the sidewalk - Market is still a multi-lane road with heavy traffic, including about a dozen bus and streetcar lines and the other vehicles I mentioned, plus cross traffic of all kinds from the intersecting streets.

Renovations had been planned to include much wider sidewalks, some plazas with seating, more sturdily protected bike lanes, etc.  Taking private autos off the street, ostensibly to speed up travel times for the remaining modes, was sort of a consolation prize for advocates of the other changes when they were dropped from the plans one by one.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 5
On 6/1/2022 at 6:04 PM, 853fisher said:

I smiled at the understated callback to Ken's infamous response about a long-handled gardening tool.  It didn't bother me that there was no outward sign that anyone onstage "got" it - the contestants were focused elsewhere and Mayim is what she is (in this case, not anyone who'd followed the show before last year).  But I did wonder why they didn't save that for a Ken day instead.

I totally caught that reference and thought it hilarious, although the absolute dead air and no response from anyone made me wonder if anyone had ever watched this show before.

It would have been doubly good if it happened on a Ken day. But then, I think everything about this show is doubly good on a Ken day.

• Like 1
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I would've had no issues with the clue if it had read "private automobile traffic." For most, the clue probably boiled down to "name an important street in San Francisco that begins with an 'M,'" but for this SF local and frequent transit rider or walker along Market, what was presented was incomplete and could be misleading.

@853fisher  Thanks for sharing all this info. I definitely fall into the category I bolded above from your original post. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting San Francisco in many years, but certainly the first, most prominent "M" street that popped into my head was Market Street. Honestly, I didn't think it could possibly be the correct answer as it's such an important, busy and wide thoroughfare! Your explanation helps to make it a sensible answer.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Tourist $$$.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

but I have no idea why taxis would be allowed.

Probably because not everyone can walk, or walk the distance of the section closed to most cars, so there needs to be an allowance for delivering those folks to their destination rather than the outer boundary.

• Like 4

I did fairly well Thursday night.  Only ran 2 categories in the first round (Service and "Inn") but didn't miss more than one in each of the other categories.  I ran 4 categories in DJ (Theater, Ye Old "E", Goodbye and Rock & Roll) and only missed Wyoming and anti-coagulant.  I said Warfarin for that one - technically not exactly incorrect since Coumadin is one of the brand names for the generic Warfarin but probably too specific since it looks like they wanted the class of drug.

My TS gets were galleons, Marie Laveau and fentanyl.  I had no clue for FJ, though in retrospect I probably should've known it.

Friday's game was spottier for me, although I did get 7 stumpers: Titian, hoard/horde, powwow, Skylab, Joseph Conrad, Market Street and avoirdupois.  Didn't run anything in the Jeopardy round, although I should've gotten everything in the ART category.  I ran Go Down in History and A Bit of Lit in DJ.  Had no clue for FJ.  Tardis leapt instantly to mind, I'm sure because of the "time & space", and I couldn't get it out of the way.

On 6/2/2022 at 7:59 PM, Trey said:

The best I can say about FJ is that I've at least heard of Gertrude Bell.

I even read a book about her.  Still didn't help.  Too many years ago, I guess.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:35 PM, ams1001 said:

I guess space station isn't acceptable for Skylab (probably a BMS, though who the hell knows these days)?

Maybe if Mir hadn't also fallen from orbit.  That TS made me a little sad because I can remember when Skylab fell to Earth, mostly over the ocean but significant bits did land in Western Australia.  Someone from Esperance, WA, claimed the reward mentioned in the clue.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:00 PM, Katy M said:

I got FJ and the missed clues of Joseph Conrad and mole, but other than that I had a pretty bad night. I missed a couple of clues which I knew and couldn't pull to the surface in time, which is the worst.

I had several like that over Thursday & Friday.  I hate when that happens.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 6/3/2022 at 10:41 PM, Bastet said:

In DJ, I figured the superhero category was going to be a disaster for me, and I was right -- I only knew Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (having picked up that fact about their names via cultural osmosis; I've never seen the films or shows). 

Me, too.  Superheroes are not my thing.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:04 AM, ABay said:

On J! Venetian artist is always Tinteretto or Titian and yet I always say Botticelli.

Every once in awhile it's Canaletto.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Maybe if Mir hadn't also fallen from orbit.  That TS made me a little sad because I can remember when Skylab fell to Earth, mostly over the ocean but significant bits did land in Western Australia.  Someone from Esperance, WA, claimed the reward mentioned in the clue.

My favorite memory of Skylab's demise was that there was a guy who went out into the wilderness to get away from everything, and a piece landed very close to him. I think that qualifies as irony.

You have a good point about Mir.

• Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

One more thought re SF taxis, under spoiler tag for those who didn't sign up for a local policy roundtable:

Spoiler

The allowance for traditional taxis with city-issued medallions, and pointed exclusion of Lyft / Uber / etc, reflects another controversy. When the apps first became popular, the city started letting them operate with very little regulation, and the cost of rides has always been heavily subsidized by venture capital money. Those who had invested large sums in medallions found themselves pretty well screwed, drowning in debt and subject to many additional rules, as most riders moved to the new platforms.  It was felt that the city had not held up their part of the proverbial bargain they had made with the taxi industry over many decades.

So lately the city has seemed to be trying to make it up to them, by making it less convenient to use the apps. If you attempt to get a pickup or dropoff on Market from the apps, you will be directed to a white zone on one of the streets it intersects. At the airport, there is a cab stand right across from the baggage carousels, but the app drivers are only authorized to pick up in a remote garage. Etc etc etc. I'm not sure what effect it's having, but I find it all very interesting. IMO these and other 1099 apps rely on exploitative business models and are not good actors in our society, but they're just so frighteningly ingrained now.

• Useful 5

I got Skylab right away as there were many people who were in a panic at the time over the whole thing. I had just started working in Manhattan and lots of street vendors were selling different variations of this "protective" 😄 helmet. 

Screenshot_20220606-154426_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 11
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I got Skylab right away as there were many people who were in a panic at the time over the whole thing. I had just started working in Manhattan and lots of street vendors were selling different variations of this "protective" 😄 helmet. 

My dad walked around for a while with a metal colander on his head.  In his case he was being ironic.

image.png.0de9432b43460bc0753e340c0c34153c.png

This is not him, but he did have a beard.  Connected?  Possibly.

• LOL 12

Well, I hope y'all enjoyed Monday episode while I was not enjoying full-time local NBC television coverage of OMG IT'S RAINING! LOOK AT OUR RADAR! after the first five minutes of Jeopardy aired, then was preempted. I guess I'll try to find it on YouTube. 

Or not.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

I certainly wish Ryan all the best, and I hope he is able to spend some time preparing for the ToC.  You have to be lucky and good, and he seems to have been both.  I really wouldn't mind a spell without superchamps now.

Eric is with the National Weather Service, in case you were wondering.  I was curious because it occurred to me that, if he were a TV meteorologist, he might be ineligible for this show if he worked for the station that carries it.

I was genuinely shocked to see what amounted to "here's a photo of a saxophone - name it" in the $1200 box!  Maybe something went wrong with the intended clue and that was the one they carry in reserve for each category?

I noticed none of the contestants cracked a smile when Mayim gave us her impression of the "more cowbell" sketch.  Me neither.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 3
  • Fire 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 13

I feel like the intro with the list from Philly was written Gor Ken, who could have made it seem like he actually knew all the people and that they were from Philly. Mayim made it sound like an awkwardly memorized list of random words.

I also didn't like how she led into FJ with "Ryan you had a good run..." Even though she linked it to his late game surge, it sounded like she was writing him off before the category and clue were even revealed.

• Fire 1
  • Love 9

I said Jason and Perseus.   

I got the missedclues of Samuel Johnson, Yellow Sea, bray,chez, Jill Biden, Martin Luther King, clinical psychology, Berlin and Celeste Ng.

I go tthe entire categories of Lifetime Movies and writers right.

• Like 3

I tuned in just before DJ & was shocked to see Ryan so far back from the lead. Then, watching him in DJ, I just felt he was holding back. Maybe he'd had it? Was exhausted & ready to go home? I agree about the saxophone clue. I yelled out "alto sax", figuring they wanted the right type of sax. Nope. Good grief. I have felt this past year either I'm getting smarter or quite a few of the clues are getting easier.   

• Like 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

A youtube night for me (left work late and had to go to the grocery store). First round not too bad...ran Lifetime Movie Titles, missed two Coasts and Doctors, and one each in the others. Second round not too good. Missed one Writer, three Cyrillic and D-Day, and two each in everything else. No FJ, but then I felt dumb; I don't know a lot of mythology but I know C&P are twins so the "family" hint in the clue should have at least given me an idea.

My TSes were psychology, Jill Biden, Johnson, chez, Berlin, and midden.

Grumpy Cat was a girl. image.png.d52dfcb892469527c49859eecc303d3c.png

Sorry to see Ryan go. I liked Eric, though. (Would have been fine with either of them, really.)

1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I was genuinely shocked to see what amounted to "here's a photo of a saxophone - name it" in the $1200 box!  Maybe something went wrong with the intended clue and that was the one they carry in reserve for each category?

I was surprised by that, too. "Seriously?"

1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I noticed none of the contestants cracked a smile when Mayim gave us her impression of the "more cowbell" sketch.  Me neither.

I did give a mild chuckle at her response of "Excellent." to the correct Wayne's World response.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I also didn't like how she led into FJ with "Ryan you had a good run..." Even though she linked it to his late game surge, it sounded like she was writing him off before the category and clue were even revealed.

I thought she meant "you had a run" in the sense of having answered several clues in quick succession and positioned himself much better position for a potential last minute turnaround (he went from $2800 to $6800 in just 5 clues, against contestants with $10K and $9K).  But I agree it would have been better to phrase it differently, because it's so close to "you've had a pretty good run."  

Just now, ams1001 said:

I did give a mild chuckle at her response of "Excellent." to the correct Wayne's World response.

I have to admit, that went over my head!  The keyword that makes me think of Wayne's World is "hurl," but I guess it's tough to work that into an acknowledgement of a contestant's response.  Alright, Mayim, I'll give you a point for that. ;)

• Like 5

I really wanted Ryan to break the $300,000 mark.  He looked tired today.  He has spoken about how tight his finances are, and contestants do not get their winnings until their run is over.  Maybe flights and hotel stays are taking their toll on his checking account.  Will be interesting to see how he fares in the TOC.

• Sad 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I really wanted Ryan to break the $300,000 mark.  He looked tired today.  He has spoken about how tight his finances are, and contestants do not get their winnings until their run is over.  Maybe flights and hotel stays are taking their toll on his checking account.  Will be interesting to see how he fares in the TOC.

I think with the consolation prize he hit $300,400.  I was thinking about that milestone too.

I recall reading (somewhere I thought was credible, although I can't tell you where) that Ken was given an advance on his winnings.  I don't know whether they'd consider that for a shorter run, whether it was offered or had to be requested, etc.  But I would like to think the staff would be proactive.  The show will fly you back if you're a returning champion (not sure about lodgings) but of course he would been without his regular earnings anyway.  So in a way he may be breathing a sigh of relief.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I was just reading an interview with Ryan from our affiliate in Philadelphia Channel 6. He said he bright to shirts and pants. He didn’t think he’d be there more than a day or two. He said the wardrobe people were very helpful to him. He doesn’t have some high paying job and I’m sure his winnings will be a great help. He was a good player but never had huge payouts to get him in the $500,000 but his winnings aren’t anything to sneeze at. I will confess that I don’t watch the whole show. First off, I dvr it. Secondly, I only watch the introduction and then forward to about 20 minutes. So I was really shocked to see he was in 3rd place going in to Final Jeopardy and with hardly any money.

Well, on to another champion to see what he can do. The long running arcs are always fun to watch though. I’m looking forward to the Tournament of Champions to see who wins that. Good times ahead. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I tuned in just before DJ & was shocked to see Ryan so far back from the lead. Then, watching him in DJ, I just felt he was holding back. Maybe he'd had it? Was exhausted & ready to go home? I agree about the saxophone clue. I yelled out "alto sax", figuring they wanted the right type of sax. Nope. Good grief. I have felt this past year either I'm getting smarter or quite a few of the clues are getting easier.   

As a Monday game, this would have been the first one of day to have been filmed (they film five a day, two days a week/four days a month total). There was a two week break in filming between Friday's game and today, so maybe Ryan was jet-lagged from the cross-country flight.

Sorry to see him go - he's second to Matt as my favorite champ in recent memory.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
52 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

The keyword that makes me think of Wayne's World is "hurl," but I guess it's tough to work that into an acknowledgement of a contestant's response. 

"Hurl" was already in the clue as well, so "excellent" was better on two fronts.

48 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I recall reading (somewhere I thought was credible, although I can't tell you where) that Ken was given an advance on his winnings.  I don't know whether they'd consider that for a shorter run, whether it was offered or had to be requested, etc.

Ken's run started in June and ended in November, so he would have had episodes air before he was done with his streak. Also, like Matt Amodio, his streak started in one season and ended in the next. I think it's less likely that they would advance the payment to Ryan before any episodes air -- not sure whether they routinely pay out all winnings at the end of one season even to the champion who will start the next, or to someone like Zach Newkirk who had a gap between his runs.

I wondered whether Ryan guessed Agamemnon and Menelaus for FJ because they and Sparta were on his mind after the Troy category. It wasn't a terrible guess other than they weren't Argonauts.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I noticed that Mayim mispronounced "salmonella."  She left off the "l" like she'd be saying "salmon."

Not to start a whole Barry/Berry thing again, but that's how I have always heard it pronounced (without the first L), and I have treated patients with it.

1 hour ago, laredhead said:

Well, sorry to Ryan and everyone else, because when I saw his returning total of $299 400, I thought well, isn't that great, he will break $300 000 even if he ends up in third place tonight. So of course, I jinxed him.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Jason and Perseus.   

I said Jason and . . . . Bob. I should have said Kit.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I agree about the saxophone clue. I yelled out "alto sax", figuring they wanted the right type of sax. Nope. Good grief. I have felt this past year either I'm getting smarter or quite a few of the clues are getting easier.   

You would have been wrong - it was a tenor sax! (I played alto sax for years in junior high, high school, and university band. The alto sax has a straight neck from the mouthpiece to the bend at the top of the body. The tenor sax has an upward curve in that same area.)

image.thumb.png.621b0e08ce2409f4ee3a173f8931c261.png

• Like 1
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Not to start a whole Barry/Berry thing again, but that's how I have always heard it pronounced (without the first L), and I have treated patients with it.

I looked it up in Merriam-Webster, and it gives me the below; however, I didn't check any other dictionaries, so who knows what I'd find.

example_pronounce.thumb.PNG.66515984bf32af47701da849f18fa510.PNG

• Useful 1

Oh, look, "Women Writers". 🙄

Ryan earned a nice chunk of change and a spot in the ToC, and, since he's a man, I didn't have to endure a bunch of complaining every time he won another game (or sighed, or made a conservative wager, or wore an item of clothing), so his run was quite pleasant.

Stephanie vaguely resembles Khrystyne Haje to me (back at the age I last saw Haje).

The Jill Biden TS surprised me a bit, as did bray.  Chez even more.

I almost ran the entire first round, but I couldn't think of Samuel Johnson and I'd never heard of/seen Dr. Teeth (the only Muppets I watched as a kid were the ones on Sesame Street).

In DJ, I expected to blow the D-Day category as war history is not my thing, but I only missed two.  I had a great round, period; I only ran films, but got all but one in the rest.

I groaned aloud when I saw the FJ category and, indeed, once I saw the clue I didn't even bother trying to think of mythological pairs I've heard of.  So, dud ending to a great game, but still a great game.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I thought she meant "you had a run" in the sense of having answered several clues in quick succession and positioned himself much better position for a potential last minute turnaround (he went from $2800 to $6800 in just 5 clues, against contestants with $10K and $9K).

Yes, it was about his late-round run of clues, not his long run of games.

She said he had a good run that gone a long way toward catching him up with Eric and Stephanie (not her exact words, but the point is she positioned it in relation to Eric and Stephanie), so it was about his run of correct answers for the last five clues after what had been a dismal performance in DJ; she was assuring him - and the audience - he was still very much in the game.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

BOO! I’m very sorry to see Ryan go. He didn’t even get to meet Ken, right? And as for looking like he was ready to go home… doubtful. Nobody with money problems wants to throw away a chance to rack up a lot more of it. Ryan has always presented as an unassuming, low energy dude. He also had some wrong answers early on that cost him, so he may have been feeling a bit nervous. It was an off day for him, and it was his bad luck that the other guy was having an on day. I’m happy for Ryan that he did as well as he did, and exceeded his own expectations. I wish him the best, and look forward to seeing him in the TOC.

4 hours ago, 853fisher said:

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I thought both readings were flat. Her response of “excellent” made me certain that her responses are being scripted, because I did not think she had any idea that she was making a reference.

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I have felt this past year either I'm getting smarter or quite a few of the clues are getting easier.   

Smarter, definitely! We’re all getting smarter!!

My FJ answer was “Jason and… who’s another argonaut?” So, on second thought, strike my last response — at least in my case, at least for today.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Smarter, definitely! We’re all getting smarter!!

My FJ answer was “Jason and… who’s another argonaut?” So, on second thought, strike my last response — at least in my case, at least for today.

I said the same thing, sorta. "Jason and, and, and, one of the Argonauts!". But yeah, we must be getting smarter (most of the time 😆).

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

You would have been wrong - it was a tenor sax! (I played alto sax for years in junior high, high school, and university band. The alto sax has a straight neck from the mouthpiece to the bend at the top of the body. The tenor sax has an upward curve in that same area.)

image.thumb.png.621b0e08ce2409f4ee3a173f8931c261.png

You'd think the alto sax would be the bigger sax. I lugged a tenor sax home from school one day. The music teacher wanted me (a flute player!) to try it out. It was so darn heavy...no idea how I made it home. Went back to the flute the next day!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

When is the Tournament of Champions? How many players start in the field? I’ve seen it many times but I forget the who , what, when & where part? LOL!!!!

November 2022.

Fifteen players start out: the professors' tourney winner, the college tourney winner, and 13 from regular games. Here are the current standings.

When the contestants missed "bray" and "chez" right off the bat, I feared the game would be a dud, but it wasn't. I wondered if they would have accepted "melee" instead of "fray" or "psychology" without specifying "clinical." I also knew Jill Biden because I remembered the flap over her calling herself "doctor" when she isn't an M.D.

I got FJ but thought it was kind of obscure, not the sort of thing most people would know if they aren't myth buffs. A movie buff might remember that Castor and Pollux Troy were the baddies in the Travolta/Cage movie Face/Off. Agamemnon and Menelaus wasn't a bad guess; Achilles and Aeschylus was. Aeschylus was not mythic! 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3