Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I have a feeling that, for better or for worse, this might be the new normal.  Since Harry Friedman retired as executive producer in 2020, it seems like the newer regime has been doing more to make the show a bit less "stodgy," for want of a better word.  Things like little comments between clues, personal messages in Final Jeopardy responses, and the like, seem to have become more common.  In earlier days, they would have been stamped down harder.  Alex himself might have had something to do with that, as well.

I do think that it's a deliberate decision.  It seems to be the case that more "colorful" contestants tend to generate buzz on social media, which is one of the things that they want.  For a long time, Jeopardy! has had a reputation as a show for old people.  I think they're deliberately trying to broaden the show's appeal.  Making it more like a more traditional game show, with over-the-top contestants, is likely part of that strategy.

For whatever it's worth, most articles about Mattea that I've noticed call her a "fan favorite."  Now some of that is probably journalistic hype, but I do wonder what the breakdown is between people who love her versus people who find her annoying.  For the most part, I've been enjoying watching her.

I agree with you on the producer's and I really like Mattea,  I think she is fun.

• Love 6

I surprised myself by getting FJ tonight!  I briefly considered Dylan Thomas, but changed to Yeats at the last second -- plenty of time to write it down.

I also got the TS of thermodynamics, Neil Young, Gaudi, and Andrew McCarthy.  Poor Andrew.

I am quite relieved that Mattea managed to win again.  Ben was brutal to his buzzer, and as I have said so many times, my peeve is when the contestants don't start at the tops of the categories.  

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, possibilities said:

That is a cute photo, although part of me thinks I wouldn't publicize that my emotional regulation hasn't improved since I was 8 years old.  No question that's a harsh reading of the tweet and I don't intend for it to be taken at face value exactly.  My point is that I think many were trained, in childhood and adulthood, that some of the behaviors Mattea exhibits are not desirable or appropriate.

Radical openness (some would say oversharing), a lack of interest in filtering, etc. are traits I associate with many young queer people in my circle, possibly heightened by a sense of having previously been hiding one's true self.  Many are happy to discuss subjects I reserve for my closest family and friends with thousands of casual acquaintances online.

I find that discretion and emotional temperance serve me better for what I want out of life, but I understand the other approach.  Am I stretching too far trying to make a connection between sharing intimate details of one's life on social media and being chatty on a game show?  Maybe, but this thought's been germinating for a while, so I thought I'd share.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I knew FJ because they posted Ken's intro on Facebook and some jackass decided to answer the question of whether someone would stop her streak by spoiling not only that she won, but the correct answer as well. When asked why he would do that, he responded, "I already saw it." Jerk. I won't count it because after reading the clue I don't think I would have gotten it.

There are regularly comments, when I use YouTube for "Jeopardy!" or "25 Words or Less" (which posts all episodes on its official channel...ahem), that are literally just "_____ wins / loses!" or "17 days now!" or similar.  If I just wanted the result, I can't imagine I'd look for a YouTube video, so I assume these people are just farming for likes.  Of course it's selfish because they risk the comment being seen by those who have come to, I don't know, watch the damn video!  YouTube always seems to sort a spoiler into the "top comment" that catches my eye before I can switch to full screen video.  I often want to ask what the thoughtless posters are thinking, but then I realize negative attention is still attention.

1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

I am also tired of contestants leaving the show and wanting to be celebrities.  Really? Amy needs a management company? I never listen to to most of the interviews in the middle because I don't care about their lives. I would like it to be the same once they lose. I mean, I loved people on Sale of the Century, etc. but had no interest in what happened to them after they left the show! 

I get what you mean.  I feel especially odd at times about what semes like an expectation of sharing. In a way the “overheard” segments seem intrusive to me. I wouldn’t like to be “overheard” by millions in a semi-personal moment after the game I came there to play was over. The interview segment is usually more than enough for me. I have wondered what the response would be like if a superchamp didn’t like to comment about their playing style, shied away from interview requests (not sure what contractual obligations there may be for contestants) and had no social media and a very private personal life.

However, I can't begrudge Amy or anyone for trying to parlay several weeks of national exposure into new opportunities.  If I were in that position, I too would think hard about how I could use my new platform to advance my pet projects. I note that Amy seems to be using her status / the agent to do things like book speaking engagements where she advocates for trans rights.  I would probably feel differently if she were leveraging it to sell crappy merchandise or get on the Bravo / E! circuit or that kind of thing.  But using success on a quiz show to advance a thoughtful point of view seems fitting.  I felt the same way when Ken started writing books etc.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 11
12 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

There are regularly comments, when I use YouTube for "Jeopardy!" or "25 Words or Less" (which posts all episodes on its official channel...ahem), that are literally just "_____ wins / loses!" or "17 days now!" or similar.  If I just wanted the result, I can't imagine I'd look for a YouTube video, so I assume these people are just farming for likes.  Of course it's selfish because they risk the comment being seen by those who have come to, I don't know, watch the damn video!  YouTube always seems to sort a spoiler into the "top comment" that catches my eye before I can switch to full screen video.  I often want to ask what the thoughtless posters are thinking, but then I realize negative attention is still attention.

I get what you mean.  I feel especially odd at times about what semes like an expectation of sharing.  I wonder what response would be like if a superchamp had no social media and a very private personal life.  However, I can't begrudge Amy or anyone for trying to parlay several weeks of national exposure into new opportunities.  If I were in that position, I too  would think hard about how I could use my new platform to advance my pet projects.

I note that Amy seems to be using her status / the agent to do things like book speaking engagements where she advocates for trans rights.  I would probably feel differently if she were leveraging it to sell crappy merchandise or get on the Bravo / E! circuit or that kind of thing.  But using success on a quiz show to advance a thoughtful point of view seems fitting somehow.  I felt the same way when Ken started writing books and that sort of thing.

I don't "begrudge" anybody anything, I just think it is a sad product of where the world is going. My point being that I don't know what she or any of the others are doing because their being successful on a game show does not make them any more of an expert or more interesting than they were before talking about a subject, unless they are talking about being successful on a game show.  I don't follow them.   If people are really interested in what ever topic they are talking about, it is a shame that if it is a thoughtful topic they were not listening before they got a perceived "celebrity" status, because really what has changed? If she was talking about those rights before, why would I listen to her any more now than I did then if I were interested in the topic? 

I just saw a blurb that she had signed with someone.   Just as I don't feel as if people who have been on reality shows should be elevated to hosts, presenters, singers etc. over people who have gone to school for years, paid their dues and tried to get opportunities in those fields. 

Someone got a "platform" for an illicit tape, but that doesn't mean I want to follow them or their ideas, value, etc. have any more value because of their number or followers or how many people saw them on tv a tape, etc.  But then again, I think role models are the people in your life who are doing the things that set a good example.   People in the news are admirable, but they are not people I aspire to be because I don't know them, or what they do, believe, etc. except the portions they choose to show me. 

Just like the dating shows people watch...they are not going to find a mate now if they ever were. They are going to get 5 minutes of fame that they can parlay into a social media career and not work. I will never understand how xxx being rejected on a dating show makes them someone I want to buy every product they hawk..... I just feel now that game shows are going the same route.  Everyone wants to have "hook" that makes them memorable, a meme, GIF or trending topic...and are less serious about the "game."  Even now, many of the challengers of late look like they were just happy to be there. 

• Love 2

I've never heard anyone utter a single one of those proverbs in my life.  I figured out all but "a change" as being the thing that's "as good as a rest", but I'd never actually heard any of them.

This was another upside down game for me, where I had a rough first round but then did well in DJ.  I only ran chicken/egg in the first round.  I got all but one in three other categories, but missed three each in novels and first.  With more time, I could have run the sports category; I knew Ovechkin is a hockey player, and figured the city of power players hint meant he played in D.C. but I could not come up with the team name in time (I pay almost no attention to hockey; I only know Ovechkin's name because my cousin has a kid who's obsessed with him).  Duh, the Capitals.

In DJ, though, I ran three categories, got all but one in a fourth, and missed two each in the other two.

FJ was an instaguess that I was pretty sure was correct, which was a relief, as the category had me pretty pessimistic about my chances.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I don't "begrudge" anybody anything, I just think it is a sad product of where the world is going. My point being that I don't know what she or any of the others are doing because their being successful on a game show does not make them any more of an expert or more interesting than they were before talking about a subject, unless they are talking about being successful on a game show.  I don't follow them.   If people are really interested in what ever topic they are talking about, it is a shame that if it is a thoughtful topic they were not listening before they got a perceived "celebrity" status, because really what has changed? If she was talking about those rights before, why would I listen to her any more now than I did then if I were interested in the topic? 

I just saw a blurb that she had signed with someone.   Just as I don't feel as if people who have been on reality shows should be elevated to hosts, presenters, singers etc. over people who have gone to school for years, paid their dues and tried to get opportunities in those fields. 

Someone got a "platform" for an illicit tape, but that doesn't mean I want to follow them or their ideas, value, etc. have any more value because of their number or followers or how many people saw them on tv a tape, etc.  But then again, I think role models are the people in your life who are doing the things that set a good example.   People in the news are admirable, but they are not people I aspire to be because I don't know them, or what they do, believe, etc. except the portions they choose to show me. 

Just like the dating shows people watch...they are not going to find a mate now if they ever were. They are going to get 5 minutes of fame that they can parlay into a social media career and not work. I will never understand how xxx being rejected on a dating show makes them someone I want to buy every product they hawk..... I just feel now that game shows are going the same route.  Everyone wants to have "hook" that makes them memorable, a meme, GIF or trending topic...and are less serious about the "game."  Even now, many of the challengers of late look like they were just happy to be there. 

Ah, thanks for saying a little more.  I think I understand your central point better.

I guess I just feel differently about whether being a long-running champion in a challenging intellectual arena (as opposed to leaking a sex tape or being rude on a talk show or whatever) is an accomplishment that suggests to me an individual's other work may be worth learning about.  There is still skill, knowledge, talent, whatever required for that other work.  If the public did not find Amy's speaking interesting, found Ken's trivia books riddled with errors, etc, then things would end there.

But I suppose I consider making serendipitous connections, finding different opportunities, etc just a part of life in society.  I believe in bridging the systemic gaps that give some people totally unearned access others can hardly dream of, and this show is not immune to those issues.  I'm thinking, for instance, of the point made that many qualified contestants couldn't possibly afford to take off work and fly themselves out to California to compete.

However, that aside, I think sometimes you get lucky.  If I won 50 games on Jeopardy and people looked me up to see that I've written and presented about XYZ historic topics, found that interesting and demonstrated interest in more, I would be grateful for a chance I wouldn't get otherwise to do more with something that, yes, was worthwhile before I went on Jeopardy.  Somebody else with a PhD in those topics who does equally excellent work in that field might be put out I'd gotten that opportunity instead of them, because of a sort of fluke.  Well, that's just the way it is sometimes.  I don't mean to be dismissive, but as someone who's been both the "winner" and the "loser" in these kinds of situations, I feel that's life.

All this reminds me, in a roundabout way, of a story my father told me about the stage actress Sutton Foster.  He heard her say on a radio show that she got her big break when she was only 17 at an 18+ casting call.  My father thought it was just terrible to hear her laugh about having gotten in to that audition, and said he thought less of her for having broken the rules.  I thought it showed a bit of chutzpah and drive, that could just as easily have resulted in a blacklist if they'd decided they didn't want to bend the rules for her: it's a tough field and you have to take any opportunity to break in.  I was fascinated by our different responses.  What about the woman over 18 who might have gotten that big break instead, he asked, who had done her training and paid her dues and all that?  Well, I thought, the decision makers must still have thought Sutton was better. And, in a way, she got lucky.

Lastly, I just don't feel that most people are coming on the show hoping to pitch something / get this kind of opportunity, even the ones on the more showboat-y side.  Maybe I'm being naive but I truly think of the few (to my knowledge) who have attempted to move into more public work as enjoying a fringe benefit of their success, taking a lucky opportunity in a world where there are not always many to be found.  I don't discount your reaction, just sharing how I reacted differently.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've never heard anyone utter a single one of those proverbs in my life.  I figured out all but "a change" as being the thing that's "as good as a rest", but I'd never actually heard any of them.

I was surprised to see “a change is as good as a rest” in the $1000 box, because it was the only one of the 5 I’d definitely heard used. It’s the title of a very funny episode of the 70s “Britcom” about department store workers, Are You Being Served. The change in that case sees the staff of ladies and gentlemen’s apparel swapped with the toy department for a week. It’s very funny and, unusually for this show, rather heartwarming. I couldn’t possibly condone pirating media but I do think it’s on YouTube for anyone curious.

And now I think that’s enough out of me for the day!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I've heard (or read, at least) "hunger is the best sauce";  "a change is as good as a rest" sounded vaguely familiar after Ken said it (never would have come up with it, though), and I guessed the lion ("regal beast"="king of the jungle"=lion) and judge ones just based on what made sense in the context of the rest of the phrase, but "No one can have a mouth full of [flour] & also blow on a fire"...huh? 

• LOL 2
47 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Ah, thanks for saying a little more.  I think I understand your central point better.

I guess I just feel differently about whether being a long-running champion in a challenging intellectual arena (as opposed to leaking a sex tape or being rude on a talk show or whatever) is an accomplishment that suggests to me an individual's other work may be worth learning about.  There is still skill, knowledge, talent, whatever required for that other work.  If the public did not find Amy's speaking interesting, found Ken's trivia books riddled with errors, etc, then things would end there.

But I suppose I consider making serendipitous connections, finding different opportunities, etc just a part of life in society.  I believe in bridging the systemic gaps that give some people totally unearned access others can hardly dream of, and this show is not immune to those issues.  I'm thinking, for instance, of the point made that many qualified contestants couldn't possibly afford to take off work and fly themselves out to California to compete.

However, that aside, I think sometimes you get lucky.  If I won 50 games on Jeopardy and people looked me up to see that I've written and presented about XYZ historic topics, found that interesting and demonstrated interest in more, I would be grateful for a chance I wouldn't get otherwise to do more with something that, yes, was worthwhile before I went on Jeopardy.  Somebody else with a PhD in those topics who does equally excellent work in that field might be put out I'd gotten that opportunity instead of them, because of a sort of fluke.  Well, that's just the way it is sometimes.  I don't mean to be dismissive, but as someone who's been both the "winner" and the "loser" in these kinds of situations, I feel that's life.

All this reminds me, in a roundabout way, of a story my father told me about the stage actress Sutton Foster.  He heard her say on a radio show that she got her big break when she was only 17 at an 18+ casting call.  My father thought it was just terrible to hear her laugh about having gotten in to that audition, and said he thought less of her for having broken the rules.  I thought it showed a bit of chutzpah and drive, that could just as easily have resulted in a blacklist if they'd decided they didn't want to bend the rules for her: it's a tough field and you have to take any opportunity to break in.  I was fascinated by our different responses.  What about the woman over 18 who might have gotten that big break instead, he asked, who had done her training and paid her dues and all that?  Well, I thought, the decision makers must still have thought Sutton was better. And, in a way, she got lucky.

Lastly, I just don't feel that most people are coming on the show hoping to pitch something / get this kind of opportunity, even the ones on the more showboat-y side.  Maybe I'm being naive but I truly think of the few (to my knowledge) who have attempted to move into more public work as enjoying a fringe benefit of their success, taking a lucky opportunity in a world where there are not always many to be found.  I don't discount your reaction, just sharing how I reacted differently.

And I respect that.  Thanks!  And yeah, I get your point that "life is not fair," but it is more than being lucky that is driving a lot of this.  I tell my students all the time life is not fair and not everyone will have the same experience or may get something you don't for a variety of reasons, but this is something different I can't articulate correctly. I particularly have to make this point when parents and other students start complaining about my students with disabilities that receive accommodations. 

It is an unhealthy obsession with celebrity and looking up or trying to emulate what these people do...elevating them to some level of wisdom just because they were "lucky" enough to be in the right place at the right time.

It is not realistic and is leading to a lack of civility,  people having financial problems, unhealthy body images  and much more.  We have normalized people being mean and aggressive to each other just because it makes them money on a tv show and they are using their "Platform" to advance certain behaviors. The sad thing is many times  ( not all ) these people are not "better" they are just a more attractive prospect, or they have more "followers" which makes them more marketable.   Luck also does not have anything to do with it when historically people have not been given opportunities.  Even Jeopardy can now all of a sudden find women and people from a variety of minority or marginalized communities. Some of these same wonderful winners have been trying to get on the show for years, but they did not fit a certain demographic and they are the same people now as they were then...and just as smart. 

Maybe as an educator and hearing kids aspire to being "lucky" rather than going to college, etc. gives me a different perspective.  They want to short cut by gaining fame by being on a show, etc. instead of doing the work. The problem is not everyone is going to be "lucky" so what about the rest who are waiting around thinking that happens for everyone? 

I appreciate the people who make their money and go back and live their life.  Just the idea that they start talking about having a "platform" lets me know they are taking themselves way too seriously.  I think you also miss the point that I have no issue with the "celebrity" and their actions, but rather  the people who elevate them just because they were on tv or made the news. 

There are plenty of famous people who choose not to have social media or market themselves beyond the job that they do even though engaging in that way could gain them more fans, fame and theoretically more money.  It is a choice and I get everyone is not going to make the same one. 

As you say we don't have to agree and that is o.k.  I appreciate the civility 

• Love 2

Dear Mattea: It’s not the facial expressions I have a problem with. It’s the incessant blathering.

Just once, I want the clock to run out while she’s rambling on about how much she should have bet or why she knows the answer she’s about to give— before she gives the answer. Maybe that would teach her.

7 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

And apparently NBC tweeted out something calling Mattea a "lesbian tutor"! 

I didn’t realize lessons were required. So is there a certification test, or something?

• LOL 14
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, SeanC said:

Mattea's fun. I don't know why people object to the players having some individuality.

Because, IMO, it should be about the game. Not about how special and cute you think you are. 

4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I didn’t realize lessons were required. So is there a certification test, or something?

Well, she is Canadian and they do things differently up there. 

Edited by Josiemae
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Josiemae said:

Because, IMO, it should be about the game. Not about how special and cute you think you are. 

Thank you for articulating my feelings.  That’s why I can’t stand Mattea.  She’s all about “look at me.”  There have been blind contestants, contestants on the spectrum and none of them have been as attention thirsty as she is.

• Love 9

I don't mind people having personality 

I just find her irritating. The hand waving especially.  

And the constant 'I should have bet more' on daily doubles she gets correct. No **** now that you know the answer you wish you'd bet more?  And have to say it?  What are you 12?  

She's not special or cute. She strikes me as immature, like someone you'd see on the teen tournament.  

Also not on the topic of her but this long streak topic in general, this is more than just a coincidence now having so many 10 plus game winners in one season.  I don't know what they've done or how but it seems something has changed to create those streaks. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Yeah, Ross's ex-wife explained that on Friends years ago: "You have to take a class, or they don't let you do it." 😀

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

She's not special or cute. She strikes me as immature, like someone you'd see on the teen tournament.  

I've seen comments elsewhere saying "she's young!" and one even brought up "her brain isn't fully developed yet"...by that logic the teen and college tournaments should be total chaos. But we haven't seen this kind of thing there (certainly not to this extent).

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Josiemae said:

She’s not acting like she’s “special and cute”, she’s just being herself. She has some very common mannerisms.

• Love 15

Yes.  I will acknowledge that Mattea knows an impressive amount of information.  However, I am in the “please leave now” camp.  The hand-flapping is annoying and the babbling about Daily Double wagers makes me want to run into a brick wall at full-speed.  But what gets me the most is when she acts like she isn’t sure of the answer and 9 out of 10 times she gets it right.  I feel like that she is trying to be cutesy.  And if she does gets it wrong, it’s okay, because she was so unsure of herself going into it.  I don’t know—it is hard to explain and probably irrational.  But, when you are kicking tail in Jeopardy, just own it. All of it.  I am not buying that you don’t know something.  😂

• Love 15
On 4/26/2022 at 2:58 PM, possibilities said:

. I am amazed by how relaxed she seems to be.

She’s been doing a lot of interviews in Canada these days and said that once she won the first game, she was happy with any outcome after that.

• Love 4
On 4/27/2022 at 9:35 AM, MrAtoz said:

Since Harry Friedman retired as executive producer in 2020, it seems like the newer regime has been doing more to make the show a bit less "stodgy," for want of a better word.  Things like little comments between clues, personal messages in Final Jeopardy responses, and the like, seem to have become more common.  In earlier days, they would have been stamped down harder.  Alex himself might have had something to do with that, as well.

I do think that it's a deliberate decision.  It seems to be the case that more "colorful" contestants tend to generate buzz on social media, which is one of the things that they want.  For a long time, Jeopardy! has had a reputation as a show for old people.  I think they're deliberately trying to broaden the show's appeal.  Making it more like a more traditional game show, with over-the-top contestants, is likely part of that strategy.

Well, the show is a stereotype “old people” show. It’s a joke that you know you’re old when you watch Wheel and Jeopardy every night. I can see why the producers might want to attract a younger audience. Someone like Mattea, young and exuberant, appeals to that.

13 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I just think it is a sad product of where the world is going. My point being that I don't know what she or any of the others are doing because their being successful on a game show does not make them any more of an expert or more interesting than they were before talking about a subject, unless they are talking about being successful on a game show.  I don't follow them.   If people are really interested in what ever topic they are talking about, it is a shame that if it is a thoughtful topic they were not listening before they got a perceived "celebrity" status, because really what has changed? If she was talking about those rights before, why would I listen to her any more now than I did then if I were interested in the topic? 

This isn’t new though, as per “where the world is going”. People have always parlayed their talents and interests into fame and fortune. Any tv chef or realtor or designer or whatever. Existing celebs shill stuff in ads on or shopping channels, or someone who makes the news for a local fundraiser that goes viral becomes a spokesperson for that cause. Many other examples, including Ken Jennings turning his Jeopardy success into a hosting gig.

As for people not taking interest in a cause until a celebrity brings light to it, maybe that’s what a cause needed. How can you know about something if you don’t know about it? I wonder if some long-time Jeopardy fans who enjoyed Amy’s run might get a little more of an open mind regarding trans issues because of her. 

I’m curious why people here seem to dislike Mayim so much. I really like her, both in her acting career and as a Jeopardy host. I think it’s refreshing to see a woman succeed in so many varying sectors.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

If the producers didn’t like her being so chatty, they would tell her to cut it out. 

I feel like I'm reasonably tolerant, and I don't necessarily want to see her gone, but I kind of wish Dr. Rick, is it?, from the insurance commercials, would pull her aside and tell her, "you don't need to say everything out loud."

• Love 10
46 minutes ago, Shermie said:

It’s a joke that you know you’re old when you watch Wheel and Jeopardy every night.

I love Jeopardy and hate Wheel. Does that make me half-old?

• LOL 11
  • Love 11
On 4/28/2022 at 5:45 AM, PaulaO said:

Thank you for articulating my feelings.  That’s why I can’t stand Mattea.  She’s all about “look at me.”  There have been blind contestants, contestants on the spectrum and none of them have been as attention thirsty as she is.

I am wondering why a blind contestant or a contestant on the spectrum would be considered attention thirsty?

I like Mattea precisely because she is so relaxed. A couple of months ago there was a multi game winning contestant who seemed utterly miserable the whole time she was on the show. Even Ken commented a few times on her demeanor. I found her very uncomfortable to watch. Likewise a contestant who was on a few weeks ago. She had a very clipped way of asking for the clues and answering, and never smiled. Give me chatty, relaxed Mattea any day.

I don't think the fact that I am Canadian has coloured my view of Mattea but eh, maybe it has? ☺️

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 11
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Dylan Thomas. Poetry is not my thing.

I go tthe missed clues of thermodynamics and Gaudi.

I did pretty well in the first round if we discount the MVP category of which I only got the $200.  Didn't do so well in the second, but would have been OK had I got final right.

I didn't run a single category in the first round, although I did get most of them in each, including the missed DD of thermodynamics.  I wouldn't have known the specific one but I had heard of the laws of thermodynamics so it was an educated guess.

I did run Miscellany, Ancient World and Celebrity Memoirs in DJ, including the triple stumpers of Gaudi, Neil Young and Andrew McCarthy.  I only got New Guinea singing dogs because earlier in the day I'd read an article about dingoes which mentioned them.  Cuckoo coincidence.

I got FJ through the process of elimination.  They obviously wanted someone Irish.   On Jeopardy, Irish playwright = Oscar Wilde, Irish novelist = James Joyce and Irish poet = William Butler Yeats.

16 hours ago, SeanC said:

Mattea's fun. I don't know why people object to the players having some individuality.

People are bugged by different things, I guess.  I like Mattea, but disliked other contestants who were popular here.  I just try not to talk about it too much and try to tune out people's complaints.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

Well, the show is a stereotype “old people” show. It’s a joke that you know you’re old when you watch Wheel and Jeopardy every night. I can see why the producers might want to attract a younger audience. Someone like Mattea, young and exuberant, appeals to that.

As of 2011 the average viewer was 65. I doubt it changed much since. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I am wondering why a blind contestant or a contestant on the spectrum would be considered attention thirsty?

I like Mattea precisely because she is so relaxed. A couple of months ago there was a multi game winning contestant who seemed utterly miserable the whole time she was on the show. Even Ken commented a few times on her demeanor. I found her very uncomfortable to watch. Likewise a contestant who was on a few weeks ago. She had a very clipped way of asking for the clues and answering, and never smiled. Give me chatty, relaxed Mattea any day.

I don't think the fact that I am Canadian has coloured by view of Mattea but eh, maybe it has? ☺️

Matt Jackson was a machine with the questions!. He'd cut off Alex....on to next question!  

I hate the contestants wasting time because I want to hear all the questions. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think maybe that was the point, that they were so old that nobody's heard of them?  I certainly hadn't but did figure out all but the last one the same way you did.

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Dear Mattea: It’s not the facial expressions I have a problem with. It’s the incessant blathering.

When they don't clear the board, I'll worry about it.  Since they have in all but one of her games, it's not a problem for me.  But to each, their own.

1 hour ago, Shermie said:

I’m curious why people here seem to dislike Mayim so much. I really like her, both in her acting career and as a Jeopardy host.

I don't hate her as host but to me, she comes across as acting a role whereas Ken seems more natural.  I do find her vaccination stance disturbing and am very annoyed by the bullshit brain supplement she shills for, though.

1 minute ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Matt Jackson was a machine with the questions!. He'd cut off Alex....on to next question!  

I hate the contestants wasting time because I want to hear all the questions. 

And I disliked that about him.  That, and his serial killer smile.

They've been clearing the boards during Mattea's run except for game 5, so you're not missing clues because of her.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 8
Just now, proserpina65 said:

I think maybe that was the point, that they were so old that nobody's heard of them?  I certainly hadn't but did figure out all but the last one the same way you did.

When they don't clear the board, I'll worry about it.  Since they have in all but one of her games, it's not a problem for me.  But to each, their own.

I don't hate her as host but to me, she comes across as acting a role whereas Ken seems more natural.  I do find her vaccination stance disturbing and am very annoyed by the bullshit brain supplement she shills for, though.

Yes I find it ironic that if I just saw Ken and mayim without knowing their backgrounds I'd think Ken was the one with a lifetime on screen and in acting not mayim.  He is much more comfortable in the job. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

If the producers didn’t like her being so chatty, they would tell her to cut it out. 

I believe James was told to stop writing greetings on his FJ! answers but that that didn’t stop him.  But I do agree that the producers probably don’t discourage this.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I don't think the fact that I am Canadian has coloured by view of Mattea but eh, maybe it has? ☺️

I don't think of her as relaxed. In fact she appears to hyperventilate toward the end of the show when someone is catching up with her.

• Love 3

Mattea revealed this week that she had the lead role in her high school musical, so her theatre experience combined with years of debating have given her a high comfort level with performing in front of a live audience.  However, her actions last night were the last straw for me.  The eye rolling, hand on hip stance, stream of consciousness dialogue, and facial expressions were so overly dramatic that I just couldn't tolerate her behavior.  I really don't care if the producers condone and/or encourage these actions;  it simply appeared to me as self-indulgent and immature even for a 23-year-old.   Why does she believe that the viewing audience cares about her every thought?

I can't wait for her to play against Matt and Amy in order to gain a bit of humility.  Remember that both Matt and Amy have expertise in sci/tech areas and Matt is a true sports aficianado, which have not been strong areas for Mattea.   Speaking of Amy, i wasn't surprised that she quit her day job and hired a show business agent.  She probably needs to capitalize on her fame very soon because the general public's memory is short.

• Love 10

She does get a little tiresome sometimes but overall she doesn't annoy me anymore than most people I know. I have no problem with any of them capitalizing on their run while in the public conscience & hope that they do well going forward, much more deserving than all these reality "stars" who suddenly think they're gods gift to the world or any🤡 who says they're "an influencer".

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, Tazley said:

I can't wait for her to play against Matt and Amy in order to gain a bit of humility.  Remember that both Matt and Amy have expertise in sci/tech areas and Matt is a true sports aficianado, which have not been strong areas for Mattea. 

There's no guarantee that either of them would beat Mattea.  They both had gaps in their knowledge base.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

There have been a lot of contestants who bugged me but never to the point of not watching until they are defeated.  Everyone has their quirks, and the longer a contestant is on, the more obvious those quirks are.  Do I cringe a bit when she Mattea gets chatty? Sure, but as it has been pointed out, the boards are getting cleared for the most part.

I have had a couple of auditions so I do wonder what people would think of me if I ever got on the show.  I also tend to be chatty, and while I would like to think that I would rein it in, there is no telling how I would react in that situation. 

I can't remember if she said it on the show or on Twitter, but Mattea did mention that her winnings have made home ownership a possibility for her- living in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) it would have taken forever to save up for a down payment.  I can certainly appreciate that, and it may explain her conservative DD wagers.  I have never been a gambler myself, so I understand her reluctance to take a chance.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

As of 2011 the average viewer was 65. I doubt it changed much since. 

As recently as 2019(?):
"Jeopardy’s average viewer is 65 years old. That’s down from the average age of 70 back in 2000"
(mediafeed.org/22-facts-about-jeopardy-that-you-probably-dont-know).

And now in 2022:
"A CivicScience survey of 4,200 U.S. adults in late February and early March shows . . .
Among those who watch on a regular basis, nearly 4 in 10 are under the age of 35. Only one-quarter are 65 or older"
(civicscience.com/the-average-jeopardy-watcher-isnt-who-you-think-they-are).

And now a possible future Jeopardy! clue should they decide to engage all these youthful, social media savvy viewers with a few Easter eggs:
Category: BORN IN THE YEAR OF
@shapeshifter is closer to the average Jeopardy! viewer age back in 2000 than those in 2019.

Spoiler

What is 68?

Got the missed DD of thermodynamics and the TS of shin.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

As recently as 2019(?):
"Jeopardy’s average viewer is 65 years old. That’s down from the average age of 70 back in 2000"
(mediafeed.org/22-facts-about-jeopardy-that-you-probably-dont-know).

And now in 2022:
"A CivicScience survey of 4,200 U.S. adults in late February and early March shows . . .
Among those who watch on a regular basis, nearly 4 in 10 are under the age of 35. Only one-quarter are 65 or older"
(civicscience.com/the-average-jeopardy-watcher-isnt-who-you-think-they-are).

And now a possible future Jeopardy! clue should they decide to engage all these youthful, social media savvy viewers with a few Easter eggs:
Category: BORN IN THE YEAR OF
@shapeshifter is closer to the average Jeopardy! viewer age back in 2000 than those in 2019.

Hide contents

What is 68?

Got the missed DD of thermodynamics and the TS of shin.

I find it hard to believe it went down that much in 3 years. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I find it hard to believe it went down that much in 3 years. 

But you are talking pre- vs post- (during?) pandemic. In my area (Chicago), J! airs at 3:30---a time when most of those "under 35" were probably at work in 2019, but at home during the pandemic shutdown, and therefore are able to watch J! now.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, illdoc said:

But you are talking pre- vs post- (during?) pandemic. In my area (Chicago), J! airs at 3:30---a time when most of those "under 35" were probably at work in 2019, but at home during the pandemic shutdown, and therefore are able to watch J! now.

I can't even imagine it being on that early. 7pm here, a great time as far as we're concerned even though I record it just in case.