Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I have guessed Narragansett for several bay clues recently (not necessarily on Jeopardy) I was always wrong. For this one, I thought it, then thought it was probably wrong so didn't say anything. 😞

I probably would have gotten it anyway (Narragansett is the only bay I readily associate with Rhode Island), but it also helped that my friend got married at Fort Adams State Parke which is right on the water in Newport. It "offers an exceptional panoramic view of both Newport Harbor and the East Passage of Narragansett Bay."

• Love 2

Another vote for roly-poly. I’ve heard of pill bugs, of course, but I didn’t realize they were the same thing.

I briefly interned as a features reporter for a small paper, so a non-instaget for lede would have been embarrassing.

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

There are so many different hygienists working in so many different situations.  Do they have some kind of governing board or code of conduct or something, that required or "allowed" them to dress a certain way?

Maybe it was just a standard industry uniform. I remember when all nurses (including my mother) wore short white dresses, white hose and shoes, and that little starched hat that took like a bazillion bobby pins to keep on.  I don’t remember what dental hygienists wore when I was a child, but maybe something similar?

On 3/18/2022 at 8:57 PM, shapeshifter said:

image.png.b53171d846f01c629a2ef1c0806388c7.png

Beautiful fox!

15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Some things do make me feel old, but in Jeopardy's case, I always think "aw, they're too young." 😉

And then just feel sorry for them because they missed so much, poor things! 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Maybe it was just a standard industry uniform. I remember when all nurses (including my mother) wore short white dresses, white hose and shoes, and that little starched hat that took like a bazillion bobby pins to keep on.  I don’t remember what dental hygienists wore when I was a child, but maybe something similar?

Dental hygienists were originally called dental nurses, and even after, yes, were outfitted similarly through the late '60s (there was not a single male graduate of a dental hygiene program until 1965 or so, and others were quite slow to follow; it was very much seen as a woman's job and the uniform reflected that).  Even when a pant option was introduced in the early '70s, it was as much about "maybe they can't sit ladylike on that stool to work all day" as it was about comfort.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Potato bugs are an entirely different organism where I come from. They don't even look slightly similar. I wonder what they call what I call "potato bugs" where my "pill bugs" are called "potato bugs"!

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Potato bugs are an entirely different organism where I come from. They don't even look slightly similar. I wonder what they call what I call "potato bugs" where my "pill bugs" are called "potato bugs"!

I lived in a lot of places, and answered pill bugs (which I did call them at some point) but I think I started out calling them roly poly bugs. Potato and Sow bugs must be names in places I didn't live.

• Love 1

Re FJ:  At the magazine I work for, we often write it as "Led," rather than "Lede." (Still pronounced "leed," though.)

Wonder if they would've given it to me.

Edited by NoReally
On 3/19/2022 at 11:41 PM, Cotypubby said:

Pill bug for me, NYC area:

6A2DA1EB-BCCE-41BC-9DD8-C663D9935CC6.jpeg

I question the accuracy of that map.  I grew up in Central Indiana, which is given a light reddish cast, and yet I never called them anything but "pill bug."

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I question the accuracy of that map.  I grew up in Central Indiana, which is given a light reddish cast, and yet I never called them anything but "pill bug."

I am in the "no idea what this creature is" portion of the map, and I concur.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I am in the "no idea what this creature is" portion of the map, and I concur.

You need to take into account the people who taught you what to call it and where they grew up.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 3/18/2022 at 7:38 PM, ams1001 said:

My TSes were hollandaise, exchange rates, what (the Norwegian 'w'), Carrie Underwood, loupe, and Narragansett Bay (DD).

I didn't come up with exchange rates but did get the rest.  I also got tagine, Easy Rawlins and dental hygienist.

I didn't call those bugs anything but EWWWWWW growing up, but when I had an infestation of them in the apartment I rented, I discovered they were called both pill bugs and sow bugs; the clue obviously was looking for pill bug.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

You need to take into account the people who taught you what to call it and where they grew up.

My parents grew up where I grew up, and they were sow bugs or pill bugs to them.  Still just EWWWWW to me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I found a few interesting things in dental history timelines online.  It seems that allowing the hygienists to sit rather than stand while performing their duties was considered a major change in itself, apart from what the almost entirely female workers wore while they did it.  Making pants an option was apparently in part to facilitate the modest use of a stool.

Diana Ross is going to be plenty mad when she finds out she's aged 20 years!  She did release an album in 2021, so that wasn't totally out of left field.  Her daughter, Tracee Ellis Ross, seems to have a wicked sense of humor.  I wonder if she'll see it and say anything.

I'm not sure what that "on tomorrow's Jeopardy" bit added.  Except in very rare circumstances, the challengers will be unknown quantities to 99.9% of viewers.  Surely there aren't many who would decide whether to watch day to day based on how they liked the looks or hometowns of the players?  I think the show risks looking silly if they do too much sports-style hype.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

I liked the Picture/Book category (even though I missed one). Also missed one each in Boating Glossary and Films of the 90s, but I ran Dance Off, Bro! In DJ I ran The Ancients Speak and missed one in 3 Letters in a Row.

My TSes were Sling Blade, gunwale, Catcher in the Rye.

FJ was an instaget. 

Aw, I liked Finn and it was cool to see someone in the middle of their college career in the regular game.

16 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I think the show risks looking silly if they do too much sports-style hype.

Ugh, I don't need previews on Jeopardy. They did them during the College Championship, which at least made a little more sense since some people were probably looking forward to seeing specific players and/or schools. The little recaps are more than enough (I don't really need those either).

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 6

I won't embarrass myself with my wild FJ guess. I knew it was wrong, but had to guess something, didn't I?

I got the missed clues of Sling Blade, Fiji, and gunwale (which I pronounced gunwale, so I learned something).

I got the entire category of 4 letter countries right.

• Love 2

Almost instaget FJ for me tonight -- it took me a second to dredge his name from my brain.  I got it in plenty of time to write it down, though.

TS I got include Sling Blade, trim, Fiji, gunwale, and "The Naked and The Dead".  I didn't understand the category at first, or I might have gotten "The Catcher in the Rye".

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I also noticed the champ said "Pliny" (rhyming with Shiny) instead of "Plinny".

I guess he hadn’t had a chance to watch the most recent shows!  But I guess the rule is, spelling only counts if it changes the pronunciation, and pronunciation only counts if it changes the spelling, unless it makes it not fit the clue… Does that cover it?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I also noticed the champ said "Pliny" (rhyming with Shiny) instead of "Plinny".

Well, there is a beer called "Pliny the Tiny." They also make onesies. Years ago I saw a Roz Chast cartoon showing "Pliny the Elder," "Pliny the Younger", and 'Pliny the Tiny." The latter was doll-sized.

Like many here, I was amazed that two of the three players thought Diana Ross was 95! I thought someone might say Cher.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I missed Tony Bennett, despite every opportunity to know it was him.  I read he collaborated with Lady Gaga recently but didn't know that had included a second album, after the one they did 7 or 8 years ago.  I think my mind was probably looking for a solo album anyway.  At least now I have something to listen to!

51 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Like many here, I was amazed that two of the three players thought Diana Ross was 95! I thought someone might say Cher.

I was curious: Cher's last album is from 2018.  It looks like it did quite well.  I didn't know she had recorded that recently.  I mostly just see her tweets.  She is only 75, but that didn't stop anyone with Diana, so why not?  There could've been worse random guesses.

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess he hadn’t had a chance to watch the most recent shows!  But I guess the rule is, spelling only counts if it changes the pronunciation, and pronunciation only counts if it changes the spelling, unless it makes it not fit the clue… Does that cover it?

I wasn't shocked that they gave him the point, but I was a little surprised that Ken didn't add the correct pronunciation. Same with Finn's pronunciation of "plebeians" as PLEE bee uns.

• Love 2

To explain two contestants coming up with Diana Ross for FJ, I guess they both skipped over the "age 95" part of the clue.  I can't fathom either one actually thinks she's that old, so I figure they knew she'd released an album last year (which happened just a few months before this was taped) and thought she was the old artist with a 2021 album they were looking for, totally forgetting the age was specified.

Also, I figure Catcher in the Rye was a TS because they hadn't thought about what the category meant yet (if they'd started at the top, I bet they would have).  That picture book category was fun.

I can't believe Gangnam Style is still lurking in my brain, taking up space that could be used for a far more important piece of information, but, hey, it got me 400 imaginary dollars.

I got all but three in the first round, but in DJ I only ran seismic.  I still had a good round though, missing two each in plum and history, and one each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget, so I'm off to a good start.

• Love 5

Somewhere Diana Ross was watching and spit out her dentures........

I guessed Tony Bennett and got ALL the 90's movies right. I was surprised Shawshank wasn't an answer.

...and I will say it again.....Every Monday when they announce it's Ken Jennings, I cheer like mad....

EDITED TO ADD: That Book category seemed like a nod to Alex's "Classic Concentration" show...(which I've seen on Buzzr and has now replaced Match Game as my guilty pleasure..

Edited by stonehaven
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I can't believe Gangnam Style is still lurking in my brain, taking up space that could be used for a far more important piece of information, but, hey, it got me 400 imaginary dollars.

I actually have an acoustic cover version of it on my ipod. Jeopardy made me go listen to it again.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Also, I figure Catcher in the Rye was a TS because they hadn't thought about what the category meant yet

I thought it was a waffle and before I could try and figure out what baseball had to do with a waffle in New York they gave the answer. 😆 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I thought it was a waffle and before I could try and figure out what baseball had to do with a waffle in New York they gave the answer. 😆 

I got what it was supposed to be - but I thought it looked like a panini! Where were the caraway seeds if it was rye bread??

I too was cracking up at the youngsters (at least the 20-year-old youngster; I have no idea how old Karen is) thinking Diana Ross is 95!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Here we go again:

"Buries" does NOT rhyme with "marries." 😤

Maybe it depends on where you grew up and how you learned to pronounce it, because… yes, it does?

I’m not really surprised by a younger person who only knows Diana Ross in a historical context thinking she could be approaching 100. At a certain point, “way before my time” encompasses a lot of ages, many of them indistinguishable if you don’t put much thought into it.

It still made me laugh to think of Ms. Ross glancing up from her knitting* and saying “Hey…!”

*or whatever near-centenarians do these days 😛

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

But presumably they both guessed her, out of all the possible "before their time" artists, because she had indeed put out an album in 2021, just a few months before this was taped, and they remembered reading/hearing about it.  Whatever they read/saw likely came with a picture of the album cover.  I just can't believe both of them had looked at her and, upon being given this clue a few months later, consciously thought, "Yep, 95 would fit; it must be her."  I think it more likely one or both forgot that part of the clue once they honed in on her fitting the other part.

• Useful 1

I don't think album covers are as well-circulated these days as they used to be. When you just download or stream your music, you're not handling the "album" like when they were 33 1/2" LPs.

Even if you buy a DVD, it's so much smaller than an old record, the cover art shrinks in notice, I think.

Also, if you're not actually a fan who's planning to listen to or buy it, and you just hear about it happening, you may never look at the art at all.

Record covers used to become famous in their own right, but I don't think they get as much attention anymore.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

presumably they both guessed her, out of all the possible "before their time" artists, because she had indeed put out an album in 2021….  
I just can't believe both of them had looked at her and, upon being given this clue a few months later, consciously thought, "Yep, 95 would fit; it must be her."  I think it more likely one or both forgot that part of the clue once they honed in on her fitting the other part.

Possibly. But my money is on both of the contestants who went with Diana Ross for FJ thought she was not that old, but couldn’t think of anyone else, and wouldn’t have buzzed in had it been a regular clue.   
Or, maybe:

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

a younger person who only knows Diana Ross in a historical context thinking she could be approaching 100. At a certain point, “way before my time” encompasses a lot of ages, many of them indistinguishable if you don’t put much thought into it.

Tony Bennett was my instaget because I will always cry when I recall this:

–—but I kept doubting my Tony Bennett FJ guess because I knew of Tony's Alzheimer's and didn’t consider that cover songs can be described as “new material;” also, Guinness World Records are not on my radar. But others I considered are just a few years older than I am (Bob Dylan, Diana Ross) or at least not in their 90s (Willie Nelson) whereas Tony Bennett is  from my parents’ generation.  
So, having apparently internalized the lesson of my Tornado, tornado, tornado…hurricane FJ fiasco last week, I went with Tony.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7
56 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

but I kept doubting my Tony Bennett FJ guess because I knew of Tony's Alzheimer's and didn’t consider that cover songs can be described as “new material;”

That was my problem too. I instantly thought of Tony Bennett but the songs he sings are not new, but covers. However, I couldn't think of any other 95 year old, so I figured the clue meant "not previously recorded by the artist" and went with Tony. I do think the clues are badly written this season.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, mertensia said:

It does for me. Wisconsin native.

But I also pronounce Mary, marry and merry the same as well.

As I've mentioned before, a slight majority of Americans (57%) pronounce all three words the same.  It's the people claiming that they don't rhyme that are the statistical outliers.

Edited to add: In regard to Tony Bennett and "new material," I suppose they are using that to mean "newly recorded," as opposed to something like a greatest hits or other compilation album.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

but I kept doubting my Tony Bennett FJ guess because I knew of Tony's Alzheimer's and didn’t consider that cover songs can be described as “new material;”

23 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

That was my problem too. I instantly thought of Tony Bennett but the songs he sings are not new, but covers. However, I couldn't think of any other 95 year old, so I figured the clue meant "not previously recorded by the artist" and went with Tony. I do think the clues are badly written this season.

I've done my share of complaining about recent clue writing, but, in this case, the clue writers can pass the buck to the folks who name the categories at Guinness World Records: 
guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2021/10/legendary-tony-bennett-officially-the-oldest-person-to-release-an-album-of-new-ma-678310

I know little about Guinness World Records, but I wonder if they created the category to honor him? Right now I'm not able to research their categories.
If so, perhaps "new music" was to emphasize that--even with Alzheimer's--he had to practice and perfect material he had not previously recorded?

And perhaps some Jeopardy! folks involved in the clue production were also wanting to honor Tony Bennett at this time and draw attention to his worth as a person even with Alzheimer's.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

Re: "Pliny"---First, I pronounce it "Pliny". Second, the only reason I mentioned it was because of the category (a few weeks back) of "They should rhyme but don't" and the clue answer was "Pliny" & "shiny" and the contestant pronounced it "Pliny" (which of course rhymes) and was ruled incorrect. The next contestant (who pronounced it "Plinny") got the money. 

• Love 3