Type keyword(s) to search

Season 23 Live Feeds Discussion

Message added by statsgirl,

We understand that some hot button topics are coming up this season, such as with the Cookout. Reminder that it's ok to disagree but do NOT break our Be Civil rule. Keep your comments about the show, NOT about the people on this forum. If you can't disagree civilly and without talking about the posters, utilize the Ignore User function or scroll past their posts. And reminder that there is more to this season than the Cookout so if you feel like a conversation is going in circles, feel free to move on to something else. Going forward, unwillingness to adhere to these rules will result in warnings.

• Start Topic

Just now, peachmangosteen said:

There will always be half white people tbh.

Yes. BB19 Jessica even posted that many past HGs have told her they won’t watch this season because it ‘triggering.’ I mean!

Oh yeah I saw Cody posted that (her husband) I can see why it would be triggering for him he grew up watching Big Brother went on the show and was a terrible player lol. 

Right even this season was 8 white people, 2 NBPOC, and 6 black identifying hammies, I actually heard bitches about Claire being the minority, clearly NO. I think the issue especially with the show is that we've had Latinx winners and Asian winners, being "non-white" has not impeded winning but specifically being black has. Ideally I'd love to see these ratio's set at no more than 5 people of the same race in any cast. Also I want all the white men to be like Steve/Ian/Dan/Bunky/and yes even Derek F and overall less competitions driven by physical attributes in Survivor it makes sense in a purely psychological game like BB? Nah. I mean I hate Big D and his bullshitting ass, but I do feel bad seeing comp after comp come down to something where his size and body ace him out before he has a chance (same when the game actually had people over 50 they clearly can't compete on those levels). But I know casting people who are not physically fit, young, and pretty is bridge way too fucking far. LOL.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Danielle Reyes losing in season 3 is one of the worst things that happened to this show. 

Amen to that. And the show recognizes it too. Danielle lost that season because the jurors got to watch those diary room sessions before voting for a winner. The producers added jury sequester after that season as a direct result of her loss. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, me5671 said:

Amen to that. And the show recognizes it too. Danielle lost that season because the jurors got to watch those diary room sessions before voting for a winner. The producers added jury sequester after that season as a direct result of her loss. 

Yup but we also would have had a black female winner maybe it would have paved the way for more black winners maybe it wouldn't have. 

• Love 2

I can't wait for this season to end. Not only has it been largely boring, but several off the HGs have been so incredibly annoying that I find myself truly disliking them as people. Additionally, all the arguing about the CO on every platform known to man will finally go away.

Go X. And to hell with everybody else.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

This is the primary outcome I expect; a greater degree of racial diversity will be preserved in future castings, but it will be more evenly spread across multiple racial groups to dilute the possibility of single-race alliance juggernauts.

There will still be a very  likely possibility of an all non-white alliance against whites -- united in hatred.

It's already started with anger against whites for something they haven't done yet:

4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:
hours ago, keke23 said:

If anything think this encourages more people of color to apply because now the thought can be yes I really do have a shot to win. If white people stop applying because this one season scares them out of it, then what does it say about those people? Are they only willing to play games where they have an unearned priveledge of being part of the majority race in the game?

We sure see a lot of whites trying to play basketball and football even though they don't dominate in those games.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

"Triggered" is one of those words being run into the ground nowadays, the way "iconic" has been.

Still not as bad as the newest phenomenon of "gaslight", though. That word's been getting the Inigo Montoya treatment from me as of late, and I look forward to bitching about its constant misuse here with you all sometime in the not-so-distant future.

Here endeth the old lady vocab bitching.

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but I’d seriously question that.  After this season I could easily see (for example):

• A cast with evenly distributed 25% Asian/black/white/Hispanic representation.
  • A cast with ~33% white and the remaining ~67% distributed across 3 or 4 minorities - which would represent whites in the House as a plurality, but not a majority.

Unless you’re saying future castings will probably maintain a (flexible?) ceiling of not more than half white…?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

There will still be a very  likely possibility of an all non-white alliance against whites -- united in hatred.

It's already started with anger against whites for something they haven't done yet:

I don't see the hatred or anger.  

ON previous seasons, it's not only that Black contestants tend to be voted out first - it's also the pattern of white houseguests entering the house, introducing themselves, and making alliances with other white houseguests, without ever considering that Black houseguests  - like they were invisible.  They never identified what they were doing as racially motivated, because they were most likely unaware - not considering that someone who is a different race might have something to contribute, might have something in common with you, or  just be an interesting person to get to know.  They were treated like they didn't matter.   No matter what you think of the Cookout, they didn't disrespect or shun the white houseguests.  

• Love 22

Can anyone fill us in on what's been happening on the feeds today? Or have things entered the phase where people mostly lie around and grumble?

Is Claire aware she's leaving? I've read different takes on that. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

Damn - dramatic much? 😆  I’d be reasonably certain the percentage of people in any race-specific collective pool with race hatred as their primary directive to be minuscule, including this season.  To the best of my recollection nobody in the CO has ever voiced anything in the neighborhood of race hatred; they’d just like to see a black person win for a change, and for the first time in the history of the game they have a large enough cast presence to make that happen.

8 hours ago, keke23 said:

If white people stop applying because this one season scares them out of it, then what does it say about those people? Are they only willing to play games where they have an unearned priveledge of being part of the majority race in the game?

Purely a guess on my part, but I would suspect anybody so race-polarized as this would not be applying to BB in the first place; such people would probably find the prospect of having to cohabitate with minorities in the House for up to three months intolerable.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, JayDub1987 said:

I can't wait for this season to end. Not only has it been largely boring, but several off the HGs have been so incredibly annoying that I find myself truly disliking them as people. Additionally, all the arguing about the CO on every platform known to man will finally go away.

You must be new here. We never stop bitching about stuff, even an entire decade later. Guinea pigs, anyone?
source.gif

Edited by Callaphera
  • LOL 22
  • Love 2

But honestly, in a unsarcastic way, if (general) you think the discourse over this season or racism in Big Brother is going to end at the end of BB23, you're wrong. It's not going to go away, it's always going to be a topic of conversation for this show, and one all black alliance making it to the end isn't some magical fix. If there's a BB24, there will be discussion about racism and racial identity in the game. It's part of life, therefore it's part of the game. Things like that don't just disappear because you're locked in a house for a summer to play a game. There will still be and will always be thinkpieces because of this season - if you don't want to engage with it, don't. But that doesn't mean it won't exist and it doesn't mean that it's just going to go away. And if that's a problem for (general) you, maybe find a different way to engage with the show or consider watching something different. I guess you could do the kid thing and just close your eyes and pretend that if you can't see it, it's not real but we're not three year olds - although I never say no to a juice box and a nap. But I'm finding it hard to think back to a season where we didn't discuss racism so that's a lot of eye closing and pretending you would have to do.

If there are still debates about BB15 and there are still debates about BB21, there will still be debates about BB23, the Cookout, and whether the giggle hair flips were really that giggly and hair flippy.

• Love 18

This season may be an all black alliance but they aren’t mean or nasty about it. In fact, they each became friends with their plus 1 that they can’t bare (or, too chicken to) put them on the block themselves. LOL!!!! I think the amazing thing was they were never altogether in one room u til recently. Most blob alliances would sit in the HOH bedroom and actually tell non members to beat it. That’s why I don’t even think of it (as a white person) that anyone or anything is racial about this season. Personally, I just want it to get to the 6 and see how this plays out. That said, I don’t want Tiffany voted out first and that may end up being the case. Sniff! Sniff! 😢 I don’t like the double-double but I’ll be watching. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

Go X. And to hell with everybody else.

It's not the COs fault that so many people are still stuck in the "reverse racism" loop. I also think the annoying houseguests dropped out fairly early, and even eye-rolling stuff like Britney's martyr complex wasn't THAT bad.

• Love 9
Just now, Auntie Velvet said:

It's not the COs fault that so many people are still stuck in the "reverse racism" loop. I also think the annoying houseguests dropped out fairly early, and even eye-rolling stuff like Britney's martyr complex wasn't THAT bad.

Yeah, if your main reason for watching BB is over-the-top drama, this season avoided most of that, as the closest season to this one, BB12, had Rachel and Brandon drama-ing it up, so people remember that stuff and not the EXTREMELY similar vibe to that season to this one post Rachel/Brandon. 

• Love 4

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but I’d seriously question that.  After this season I could easily see (for example):

• A cast with ~33% white and the remaining ~67% distributed across 3 or 4 minorities - which would represent whites in the House as a plurality, but not a majority.

Unless you’re saying future castings will probably maintain a (flexible?) ceiling of not more than half white…?

Yea, I think there will definitely still be only 50% BIPOC next season. Maybe down the line we'll see that change, but I honestly doubt it.

1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

Is Claire aware she's leaving? 

She is, but she is not giving up hope. Not yet at least lol. I suspect someone will tell her just before the live show tomorrow that she doesn't have the votes.

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

She is, but she is not giving up hope. Not yet at least lol. I suspect someone will tell her just before the live show tomorrow that she doesn't have the votes.

Claire once she finds out:
I9la.gif

• LOL 7

I've always thought that some of the greatest players and moments of Survivor came from the season that was 25 percent each Asian, white, Black and Hispanic. (Even if it was fucked up to actually place them in four segregated camps, LOL). 

• Love 12

CBS’s pledge was to cast 50% non-white. Not “at least” 50% non-white. And they’re too busy patting themselves on the back for that move to go and do something crazy like make whites a minority! (Heaven forfend.) It would be fantastic if the cast was split evenly over racial groups, but I don’t see that happening unless it’s some kind of gimmick like Survivor’s Cook Islands season. 

I would also like more age diversity, but I think I have better odds of getting a magic flying pony.

8 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Danielle Reyes losing in season 3 is one of the worst things that happened to this show. 

I don’t know if it had that much of an effect on the show (other than jury sequestering), but I still haven’t gotten over it.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I don't see the hatred or anger.  

ON previous seasons, it's not only that Black contestants tend to be voted out first - it's also the pattern of white houseguests entering the house, introducing themselves, and making alliances with other white houseguests, without ever considering that Black houseguests  - like they were invisible.  They never identified what they were doing as racially motivated, because they were most likely unaware - not considering that someone who is a different race might have something to contribute, might have something in common with you, or  just be an interesting person to get to know.  They were treated like they didn't matter.   No matter what you think of the Cookout, they didn't disrespect or shun the white houseguests.  

Agreed, I like all the cast members this year with the exception of Tiffany. 

I wasn't talking about the Cook Out.   People here were speculating about future seasons and what awful reaction white people might have if they aren't in the majority, some even speculating that they wouldn't play at all with out some sort guarantee win.   You yourself say you don't see any anger and then go on to list a dozen reasons why POCs in the future might be angry.  So I was speculating about future cast members who might hate white people with as much hatred as the hatred I see on the social media this year.

All season nasty things about white people in general and white BB houseguests in the past have been said over and over to justify and explain why it's cool to be racist against them.

Some even think anything goes against people who belong to a group with more power than their own. That attitude was what the 9-11 terrorists had.  America is the most powerful country in the world and their country was poor and oppressed so it was good to bomb us.  People all over the world cheered. 

21 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

It's not the COs fault that so many people are still stuck in the "reverse racism" loop.

Racism is racism.  It's prejudice, discrimination, or dislike directed against a person based on their race.

It can be applied to any race.  If it's applied to white people it's still racism. There's nothing "reverse" about it just  because it's against whites.  That's like saying a man who was raped was "reverse raped."

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I've always thought that some of the greatest players and moments of Survivor came from the season that was 25 percent each Asian, white, Black and Hispanic. (Even if it was fucked up to actually place them in four segregated camps, LOL). 

The Aitutaki 4 taking out the Rarotonga 8 through sheer teamwork and awesomeness is still one of my favoritest things on any competition show. They took out Parvati, FFS. And I love Parvati. I seriously wanted a spinoff that was Yul, Ozzy, Sundra, and Becky driving around in a van and solving mysteries. With Penner as the Scooby, I guess.

This being BB, though, what I expect next season is a cast of four Caucasians, four Blacks, four Hispanics, and four Asians, but they'll be split up ahead of time into four racially and gender-balanced teams. The winner will still be a dude, though.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Callaphera said:

We never stop bitching about stuff, even an entire decade later. Guinea pigs, anyone?

I will never be over the guinea pigs.

1 hour ago, Callaphera said:

Claire once she finds out:
I9la.gif

Possibly my favorite Jenius moment. What a treasure ❤️

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

I'd much rather they cast for personalities more than race. Tiffani would make that cut. Azah wouldn't and neither would Alyssa.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Eh I disagree. Annoying people have been kicked out, but there are still plenty more. Can't stand Azah, Tiffany or Alyssa. And I've been on record more than once as saying that DereF is potentially my least favorite houseguest of all time. I'm watching this thing through because my wife and I watch it every year. But God have mercy, this one ending feels like putting me out of my own misery. If we could double evict every week to speed this mess up, that'd be great.

I wondered if they might do a duo/partner season again and make the partners interracial.  That way people’s loyalty will definitely be to their real life friend/partner, since people are so afraid BB will become a race war.  Even though it’s always been that way to a degree.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Coco88 said:

I wondered if they might do a duo/partner season again and make the partners interracial.  That way people’s loyalty will definitely be to their real life friend/partner, since people are so afraid BB will become a race war.  Even though it’s always been that way to a degree.

I would love for them to do a partners season like they did in season 6. I am sort of surprised they didn't repeat that twist since that season is so popular. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, lilmarysunshine said:

I'd much rather they cast for personalities more than race. Tiffani would make that cut. Azah wouldn't and neither would Alyssa.

I’m pretty sure they aim for a mix of personalities, not just “big” ones. You can’t have a house full of Joshes banging pots and pans at each other. 

Alyssa probably seemed like a good call: She has her own business, seems relatively smart, and was pretty funny early on. Then she got mesmerized by a hair flip and all was lost.

Azah is also successful, a world traveler, and likeable. She may not be a great player, but her type of personality balances out some of the bigger ones. 

Casting for personality gets you Deref.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
48 minutes ago, lilmarysunshine said:

You really want to leave “personality” evaluations to people who picked Paul - or Josh - or the majority of the BB15 cast?  😄

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

There is talk about giving Claire sympathy votes, who should give one and how many she should get.  Do you guys think giving sympathy votes curries any favor with jurors.  Especially if they find out they never wanted you to stay.  It would probably have the opposite effect on me.  Especially Tiffany’s stupid sympathy vote for SB which was the one of the fakest things I seen this season.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Coco88 said:

There is talk about giving Claire sympathy votes, who should give one and how many she should get.  Do you guys think giving sympathy votes curries any favor with jurors.  Especially if they find out they never wanted you to stay.  It would probably have the opposite effect on me.  Especially Tiffany’s stupid sympathy vote for SB which was the one of the fakest things I seen this season.

Tiff’s “sympathy” vote for SB - and against Ky - had nothing to do with sympathy for SB, and everything to do with spoiling Ky’s chances to claim a “perfect season” (i.e., never having a vote cast against him) in any F2 pitches to the Jury.

• Useful 8
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Coco88 said:

Do you guys think giving sympathy votes curries any favor with jurors.

If the person voted out knows the sympathy vote came from their ally who really wanted them to stay, then it could benefit the one left behind. But if it's clearly some kind of strategic move, it makes the person casting the sympathy vote look manipulative. Or like they think the evictee is dumb enough not to see through the strategy. It could certainly backfire. 

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, Nashville said:

You really want to leave “personality” evaluations to people who picked Paul - or Josh - or the majority of the BB15 cast?  😄

Don’t know those people - just started watching a few seasons ago. I am not a fan of rigid percentages by race, though. I find it distasteful. YMMV

48 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Well, luckily, they have a new casting director and they seem a lot better than Kass.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

A twitter spoiler source who seems to work BTS at CBS says that DR called in both Tiff and Ky to ask about the showmance.

The source is Spoilergirl. Who is so notoriously wrong or vague to the point of meaning anything that even Kat Dunn mocked the account at the start of the season.

Edited by Callaphera
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, PhoneCop said:

This being BB, though, what I expect next season is a cast of four Caucasians, four Blacks, four Hispanics, and four Asians, but they'll be split up ahead of time into four racially and gender-balanced teams. The winner will still be a dude, though

What if it’s an unknown mix of skin colors/genders made to constantly wear full armor and voice-changing masks/helmets from the first time they meet? No one would know who looked like what. Imagine the possibilities if no one can tell what anyone else looks like.

you know what? I think they’d still wind up in alliances based on looks (skin color, level of attractiveness, age) and gender. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Eyeland Baby said:

What if it’s an unknown mix of skin colors/genders made to constantly wear full armor and voice-changing masks/helmets from the first time they meet? No one would know who looked like what. Imagine the possibilities if no one can tell what anyone else looks like.

Just make everyone robots like they did to Sam in the first week of BB20 - robot!Sam was far superior to Aunt Sam. Imagine a bunch of robots on Roombas running around the house. Doing the slip and slide comp. Trying to make that tight corner coming out of the DR. Big Brother will finally be able to get rid of the "Quit horsing around!" clip they added to the BB Soundboard after Arbor Day broke her branch. We won't have to hear them whine about never getting backyard time because robots don't need fresh air. Win win all around!

Now I'm imagining two robots tucked into the HoH bed for... what's the equivalent of a fingerbang for a robot? Rapidly plugging in and pulling out a USB cord? I dunno, I'm really starting to think this idea has potential.

• LOL 13
  • Love 3

[deletes entire post because Callaphera beat me to it]

But yeah, Robot BB can't be a worse idea than Battle of the Block or Friendship Bracelets or Camp Comeback or...

Plus we already have Zingbot and Chenbot, so the theme was there all along.

Edited by PhoneCop
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m pretty sure they aim for a mix of personalities, not just “big” ones. You can’t have a house full of Joshes banging pots and pans at each other. 

Shudder.  I was getting ready for sleep, but now I'll need some time to scrub that scenario out of my brain.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Now I'm imagining two robots tucked into the HoH bed for... what's the equivalent of a fingerbang for a robot? Rapidly plugging in and pulling out a USB cord? I dunno, I'm really starting to think this idea has potential.

Well in my day, it involved a floppy disk...

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, PhoneCop said:

But yeah, Robot BB can't be a worse idea than Battle of the Block or Friendship Bracelets or Camp Comeback or...

It's proper name is fan favourite Battle of the Block. Julie made sure to stress that for us the second time around. I still want to track that fan down and ask them why they liked it so much but I'm 80% sure it was Derrick Levasseur. I assume fan is singular because there's no way there are two people that liked that bullshit. However, in the grand tradition of everything in the modern Big Brother era...

Fuck Big Jeff, it's all his fault.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1