Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: A Yaught in Kneed

• Start Topic

Captain Sandy is back with a new boat - the Lady Michelle - and an almost new crew. 

The crew are as follows:

Sandy Yawn — Captain

Mathew Shea — Chef

Katie Flood — Chief Stewardess

Lexi Wilson — Stewardess

Courtney Veale — Stewardess

Malia White — Bosun

David Pascoe — Deckhand

Lloyd Spencer — Deckhand

Mzi "Zee" Dempers — Deckhand

The crew feature some experienced and some not so experienced crew members.

The first charter of the season gets off to a shaky start as an injury sees the crew having to cope without a chef for the first dinner. 

• Love 1

I will not watch the series with yawn on and malia. Btw,  When I 1st heard John or reddit I didn't realize that was the captain's name I thought it was a description of her. I'd like captain Glenn and I like Lee a lot, and I had hoped to like a female captain but they went and chose this idiot.

Anybody else giving up watching this show while she's on??

• Love 15

I'm hate watching,  lol. The 1st episode was a shit show!  It was great seeing Sandy get hosed immediately by the chef!  Total karma for how Kiko was treated!  I'll be surprised if he comes back,  he was folding like a cheap lawn chair under the pressure!  The galley is huge compared to other boats we've seen,  but there are stairs everywhere.  Looks like chef was not in shape,  haha.  

Watching Sandy try to cook then getting bitched out for how bad it was was worth it.  The asst chef they borrowed was zero help,  lmao. 

I can tell Malia is trying to redeem herself, we'll see whose back ends up with one of her knives in it this time around.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 19
22 hours ago, ihartcoffee said:

I'm hate watching,  lol. The 1st episode was a shit show!  It was great seeing Sandy get hosed immediately by the chef!  Total karma for how Kiko was treated!  I'll be surprised if he comes back,  he was folding like a cheap lawn chair under the pressure!  The galley is huge compared to other boats we've seen,  but there are stairs everywhere.  Looks like chef was not in shape,  haha.  

Watching Sandy try to cook then getting bitched out for how bad it was was worth it.  The asst chef they borrowed was zero help,  lmao. 

I can tell Malia is trying to redeem herself, we'll see whose back ends up with one of her knives in it this time around.  

Wow - I may actually watch it based on your comments about sandy getting hosed!!! :) Was thinking I would skip as I can't stand Sandy or Malia. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, slaterain said:

Wow - I may actually watch it based on your comments about sandy getting hosed!!! :) Was thinking I would skip as I can't stand Sandy or Malia. 

I hate them too, but there's always the chance they get some karma.   The boat is really big with like 4 sets of stairs.  I liked the 1st episode more than I thought I would.  I knew I'd hate watch before I'd be able to quit, lol.  I haven't reached my housewife show level of disdain... yet.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
On 6/24/2021 at 12:11 AM, antfitz said:

I will not watch the series with yawn on and malia. Btw,  When I 1st heard John or reddit I didn't realize that was the captain's name I thought it was a description of her. I'd like captain Glenn and I like Lee a lot, and I had hoped to like a female captain but they went and chose this idiot.

Anybody else giving up watching this show while she's on??

It's like crack or something, I just cant quit it.  Plus the snark on this board makes it all worthwhile.  Thank you all :)

• LOL 9
  • Love 13
(edited)

I am no fan of Sandy or Malia but I actually enjoyed the first episode.  The rest of the crew are all new and there is no token hot male as we’ve seen in the past.  I do think it’s strange the chef is freaking out considering he has worked with some big wigs.  He did seem to over order and going up and down that circular stairway with crates would have been difficult.  Why didn’t he have more help.

Considering I’ve bailed on many other Bravo shows this year I hope I continue to enjoy this one.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Love 18
(edited)
On 6/28/2021 at 7:09 PM, Emmeline said:

I am no fan of Sandy or Malia but I actually enjoyed the first episode.  The rest of the crew are all new and there is no token hot male as we’ve seen in the past.  I do think it’s strange the chef is freaking out considering he has worked with some big wigs.  He did seem to over order and going up and down that circular stairway with crates would have been difficult.  Why didn’t he have more help.

Considering I’ve bailed on many other Bravo shows this year I hope I continue to enjoy this one.

I planned on not watching, but I'm in the same boat (pun intended). Although I still watch a few other Bravo shows, (for Housewives, I'm down to RHONY and RHBH.)

Plus, I read an interview with a past cast member who said it well. Why make the rest of the cast suffer. I dislike both Sandy and Malia and there is no form of redemption I would buy for how they handled Hannah's situation last season. NONE. But, I'm not Hannah's babysitter. As they say, the show must go on.

Edited by Jextella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

I'm liking Katie on WWHL.  Very smart and very diplomatic.  Refused to get drawn into any BS.

Sandy is pathetic.  

eta: so Mal-ia and Tom broke up.  Shocking!

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 13
(edited)

I came here for the random weird-ass Malia hate, and can already see I will not be disappointed.

Sandy:  Did you even consider possibly ordering dinner out?  What an idiot.

I still can't imagine the company truly brings every staff member here the DAY BEFORE, that is unbelievably shitty practice.  That HAS TO BE for television, right?  What service company/service would have such unreal shitty preparation time?

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 9

I just had to watch the first episode for the Kitchen Karma alone.

Good grief, couldn't Capt. YAWN have had one of the local restaurants "cater" the dinner or have one of the local chefs come on board to prepare that one dinner? Seems like the local chefs would have been Covid tested and safe to use???

Also with all of those bountiful and beautiful provisions it would seem like someone on the "crew" should have been able to google and cook a decent meal (prep & cook times are included in recipes and simple math can used to determine servings yielded)

Easy prep & cook menu:

Course 1: Lobster bisque 

Course 2: Oysters Rockefeller 

Main Course: Bacon wrapped filets with side veg of either roasted Brussels sprouts with balsamic glaze or green beans almonden.

Desert: some sort of ice cream with a sauce like bananas foster or cherries jubilee or as simple as an ice cream with a fresh cookie or brownie.

• Love 13
(edited)

I figured I would give this a try. These have to be the dorkiest bunch of deckhands I've ever seen on any BD show. It's like they raided the AV club to cast them. I can't help but wonder if they chose these nerds so they wouldn't feel emasculated working for Malia. I don't know what this show sees in her. She's hella sketch.

I don't know what Bravo sees in Captain Sandy either. Maybe they just have a hard time finding a captain willing to go along with their crap. All she does is wander around the boat looking for shit to stir so she can play star boss bitch. The chef injury seemed orchestrated for Sandy to insert herself into the kitchen. God knows she's played every other role. So happy it didn't work out in her favor. 

The sous chef had to be Mila's twin. She didn't even seem like she knew how to cook.

At least I don't have to look at Bugsy and her huge teeth and ever changing extensions.

There's not enough money in the world to make me watch that wonky eyed asshole Andy Cohen.

Edited by iMonrey
  • LOL 11
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

The "sous-chef" was totally useless.  Maybe Sandy's reputation is such that nobody good would take that job.

Yes, she was totally no help whatsoever, but bless her heart for trying???

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

Kiko karma comin' at you Queen Sandy.

eta:  Have dinner catered at the dock.  There are plenty of restaurants around.

I agree that they should have had the dinner catered, because of the charter guests.  But the original chef over-ordered everything and those provisions were going to go bad.  I felt bad for the way they were treating the lobsters.  I know they aren't sentient beings in the same sense as mammals, but just throwing them around and trying to figure out how to cut them while they are alive was unsettling to watch.  And after all that, none of the food was enjoyed because it wasn't prepared well.  Such a waste. 

• Love 14

It also bugged me that Capt. YAWN knew since before lunch that chef had already prepared that he probably would not be back in time for dinner prep and service yet she did really nothing to get ahead of the problem at hand except make a few "phone/radio" calls. She should have once again ordered the dinner catered, hired a local land chef if no one aboard was capable of preparing a good dinner for the guests.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Mstk3000 said:

I felt bad for the way they were treating the lobsters. 

Head first in a big pot of boiling water.  10 mins or so and done.

3 minutes ago, Mstk3000 said:

But the original chef over-ordered everything and those provisions were going to go bad. 

True, but it's not like it's coming out of their paychecks.  Stuff goes bad; order more :)

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Head first in a big pot of boiling water.  10 mins or so and done.

IKR?  Don't keep throwing them around trying to figure out how to cut them up while they are alive.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

There's not enough money in the world to make me watch that wonky eyed asshole Andy Cohen.

For me, watching Sandy squirm was worth enduring Andy Cohen :)  And Katie was worth it, too.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Jextella said:

I planned on not watching, but I'm in the same boat (pun intended). Although I still watch a few other Bravo shows, although for Housewives, I'm down to RHONY and RHBH.

Plus, I read an interview with a past cast member who said it well. Why make the rest of the cast suffer. I dislike both Sandy and Malia and there is no form of redemption I would buy for how they handled Hannah's situation last season. NONE. But, I'm not Hannah's babysitter, though. As they say, the show must go on.

We’re in the boat together.  I once watched most of the housewives and I’m also down to the same two.  Watching BH just to see Erika’s behavior, talk about schadenfreude.  I love that word!

• Love 7
(edited)

As far as the provisions going bad. Fish and fruits are usually the first to go "bad" (usually flavor wise)

The lobster could have been used the following morning for omelettes or lobster/dill crepes along with fresh fruit salad, pastries, ect.

Or for lunch lobster roll sammies with a fresh slaw mango/pineapple slaw.

Or the next nights dinner with a seafood tower, choppino or a yummy gumbo.

Edited by mbaywife123
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, mbaywife123 said:

As far as the provisions going bad. Fish and fruits are usually the first to go "bad" (usually flavor wise)

The lobster could have been used the following morning for omelettes or lobster/dill crepes along with fresh fruit salad, pastries, ect.

Or for lunch lobster roll sammies with a fresh slaw mango/pineapple slaw.

Or the next nights dinner with a seafood tower, choppino or a yummy gumbo.

So true.  Nice menu :)  Oranges and Pineapples will last a week or so, assorted berries a few days.  

The show has never shown us, but I assume the cupboard is pretty bare at the start of a season, so the chef would have to order everything he might need.  He may have overdone it a bit, but in this Covid environment, can you really have too much?

• Love 6

During Covid no such thing as too many provisions or TP!

OT: Over three decades ago when I traveled to Africa it was my pleasure to show the "ladies" who did the food preparation out on the ranches how to make ( when the men folk were gone on business) a proper tuna salad and deli sandwiches using mayo, mustard, ect. (Instead of just can drained tuna or meat on bread with butter only!) also tuna melts and several easy pasta salads and salad dressings, all of the ingredients were in their larders. When I left they thanked me and said that their pay had been raised because of their delicious increased cooking skills. I never let on to anyone where these skills had come from.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Is it me or is there more staff on this boat?! It's going to be another hard to keep track. Mostly likeable people with exception of Sandy & Malia. I can't believe the chef, too! Idk what "happened" to his "knee" but he came across super intimidated. I was so happy to have enjoyed his presence at first. Then he sort of came off like a big baby. Unprofessional. I think it's the "doing a wedding by myself" thing. I don't disagree the stairs are quite cumbersome but an MRI?!! I wonder who the chef will be if Matthew doesn't return. As a guest, I'd be really disappointed in the food situation also. Not that I eat anything that was served besides steak & the salad. But the sous chef they brought on board-bless her heart- was either very intimidated & nervous or didn't know jack sh** about cooking. That was a hot mess. I don't usually cook & don't know much besides what I have learned from my husband & a bit from watching mom while growing up- but I know that the steak was not done properly at all & it's pretty hard to screw up cuts of meat like that. 

• Love 8

Knee injuries are no joke. I was once convinced to walk down a mountain after taking a bad fall while skiing, and I paid dearly with pain, surgeries, PT, etc. Knee has never been the same.

Why didn't the chef at least ice his knee and take Aleve? I question whether he ordered all of those provisions, unless COVID forced them as a kind of insurance. Producer shenanigans?

MRIs don't show soft tissue damage (at least that's what I've been told).

I had to turn this off mid-way. The rapid preview edits of disasters, combined with the chef disaster, was too much.

• Love 4

I loved Sandy's description of "thinking about hanging it up, but I wanted to come back and mentor people yada yada." So really, she was thinking of quitting yachting? Or quitting TV YACHTING and mentoring people ON TV. 

The preview intro of lots of drunken shenanigans leaves me fearful of this season.

Does chief stew Katie remind anyone else of Mariel Hemingway circa "Manhattan"?

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I thought she looked like the daughter from Schitt's Creek.

I thought she looked like her too. And sounded like Aisha (Jack's other f buddy). He definitely has a type.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, dleighg said:

How did "hang and steam" turn into "launder"? Seriously, one would think that listening is job 1 in service.

Honestly, this woman is on the boat for a few days and she wants her entire suitcase full of clothes to be steamed only to be put back in the suitcase because half of which she will not wear.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

But the sous chef they brought on board-bless her heart- was either very intimidated & nervous or didn't know jack sh** about cooking.

But sous chef Dushka did supply the best line of the night.  After asshole Sandy's "It's unfair", Dushka posited the ever true "life's unfair".

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

The preview intro of lots of drunken shenanigans leaves me fearful of this season.

It left me hopeful for some entertainment!

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

Ok could the chef have been anymore confusing when talking to Sandy about what was going on?  He sounded like an idiot uncappable of forming a clear narrative of what was going on with his knee?  It sounded like he was freaking out about being chef instead of his knee hurting.  Sandy had to PULL it out of him.  I thought he was going to cry.

And do none of these people know how to cook a simple lobster and steak dinner?  It all looked awful.  And I too wondered why they did not have food from local restaurant brought to boat?  I am sure that is not usual in that area.  I call fowl on this and that this was producer driven to make Sandy look bad.  HA maybe production hates her too?

The souse chef was totally worthless.  She didn't know how to fix lobster?  Or Steak?  Seriously?

• Love 11

Lord, oysters are the easiest thing on the planet to "cook" (once you've shucked them). Put them on ice, make a little shallot and vinegar, or just a squeeze of lemon and call it a day! Idiots. 

They prepared WAY too much food for their cooking "abilities." Should have adhered to the mantra "KISS."

• Love 6