Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: A Yaught in Kneed

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, dleighg said:

I loved Sandy's description of "thinking about hanging it up, but I wanted to come back and mentor people yada yada." So really, she was thinking of quitting yachting? Or quitting TV YACHTING and mentoring people ON TV. 

The preview intro of lots of drunken shenanigans leaves me fearful of this season.

Does chief stew Katie remind anyone else of Mariel Hemingway circa "Manhattan"?

It was driving me crazy who Katie resembled; thank you so much for suggesting Mariel Hemingway.  Now the only things left for me to be frustrated about while watching the show are Yawn and Malia!

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, Maccagirl said:

It was driving me crazy who Katie resembled; thank you so much for suggesting Mariel Hemingway.  Now the only things left for me to be frustrated about while watching the show are Yawn and Malia!

Milaria in particular is trying to be all cute and carefree.  Gag.  We know what you really are.  

• Love 14
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

I loved Sandy's description of "thinking about hanging it up, but I wanted to come back and mentor people yada yada." So really, she was thinking of quitting yachting? Or quitting TV YACHTING and mentoring people ON TV. 

The preview intro of lots of drunken shenanigans leaves me fearful of this season.

Does chief stew Katie remind anyone else of Mariel Hemingway circa "Manhattan"?

This is Sandy’s way of covering her ass when she isn’t asked back next season. I think her  and Malia were already contracted to do this season. But Sandy knows with all the hate, this is her last season. So, now she’s gonna say she was planning on retiring —-and that’s why she’s not doing the next season. 
And yes, Malias ultimate goal is to become a captain, but she’ll do this show for the money and fame.

• Love 13

I’m not surprised that the crew couldn’t cook. I couldn’t either when I was their age.

As many other posters have mentioned, the obvious solution would have been to call for catering. However, that would have left production with no drama,

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, janiema said:

As many other posters have mentioned, the obvious solution would have been to call for catering.

Instead Sandy called a sous chef that apparently didn't know how to boil water.

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Lamima said:

I thought she looked like her too. And sounded like Aisha (Jack's other f buddy). He definitely has a type.

First I thought she sounded just like Aisha and then after looking at her I thought she looked like her too so once that bit came out about her being Jacks ex I was kinda blown away. You're right he does have a type. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Did Duska come from a pirate ship or "Circle Line" type of boat that only serves pre-packaged meals? WTH she was clueless to even be considered a sous chef. That boat actually looks old and dated to me. I have never pan fried a steak, for me its grill only or when I run out of propane I will toss it in the broiler. I would be pissed too if I were the guest and that all falls on Cap't Sandy. No eye candy for me, unless they bring back those 3 engineers I saw a quick glimpse of. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, mbaywife123 said:

It also bugged me that Capt. YAWN knew since before lunch that chef had already prepared that he probably would not be back in time for dinner prep and service yet she did really nothing to get ahead of the problem at hand except make a few "phone/radio" calls. She should have once again ordered the dinner catered, hired a local land chef if no one aboard was capable of preparing a good dinner for the guests.

I call Production produced drama on this play. I doubt she was allowed to bring in another chef or allowed to cater it. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

I call Production produced drama on this play. I doubt she was allowed to bring in another chef or allowed to cater it. 

Sandy said she couldn't get another chef because of Covid.  Duska came from another boat so had already been cleared, I think.

• Useful 4
1 minute ago, PaperTree said:

Sandy said she couldn't get another chef because of Covid.  Duska came from another boat so had already been cleared, I think.

She mentioned Duska’s boat had been in their quarantine bubble. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 6/28/2021 at 12:41 PM, Chatty Cake said:

I can’t stand Malia! I thought the idiot wanted to become a captain and not another season of being Sandy’s darling.  Sandy is gross. It’s time to replace her.

She had a lot of training as a sous chef she should step up lol

Why do they all shake hands in the reception line, is there not a pandemic.....ridiculous.

Chef is a total loser ha ha

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, dleighg said:

Lord, oysters are the easiest thing on the planet to "cook" (once you've shucked them). Put them on ice, make a little shallot and vinegar, or just a squeeze of lemon and call it a day! Idiots. 

Oysters are LITERALLY the easiest thing to make, you just open them!  Who would cook them?  

Those poor lobster, I almost couldn't watch how they were treating them.

Do we know if the chef comes back?

• Love 7
8 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

The previews have me dreading the season. 

I know there is always drama, hookups, and high jinx every season, but I am sensing that Below Deck (regular  & Yachting) has taken a cheap turn to sleazy Real World antics. More antics, less scenery. 

Especially after this most recent Below Deck Yachting Season 2 , which really pushed the boundaries of sex, and drama.

The producers are trying to keep it "fresh" and keep eyeballs tuning in to BD - so they resort to sleaze.

• Love 8

Do you mean to tell me that while the chef was waiting to find out if he could get an MRI, he couldn't have gathered some crew together to at least explain what to do? Did he have NO Menu planned? Either he's incompetent or it's producer shenanigans.

I'm a n00b to this series, having watched a bunch of the marathon. May God have mercy on my soul, and may this series bring back Ben. He's a kvetch, but the man can cook.

• Love 14
10 hours ago, ihartcoffee said:

I'm so confused on how I managed to watch episode 1 last week before it aired.... and I see episode 2 on demand already.  I'm a slinger btw, don't use Peacock.  So sorry if I posted too soon.  

I'm not watching this season, I refused to even watch the last few episodes of last season after I read about Sandy's fuckery of Hannah. My sister also managed to watch this episode last week. She told me about Sandy's don't forget to tell me about your meds speech and something about Malia not reporting an injury right after they were told to make sure they were all reported. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Just remembered - nice of Sandy to add "don't do drugs kids" to the initial team meeting.  Mmhmm.  Damage control, too late.

Honestly, is she still on about drugs? She really needs to get over herself and move on or learn something in the process, but she won't, her ego is her biggest stumbling block.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

So after all that backstabbing and ambition last season the annoying BUGSY did not return as the chief stew?  

I guess she was too busy writing a book on 'tablescaping' lol.....seriously!

• LOL 7

I’m torn. On the one hand, I think that the show appreciates just how much Sandy is despised, and manufactured the chef drama so the audience can gleefully scream “Karma!”.

But then I remember that just last week they subjected us to a full hour narrated by Sandy, in which she faked grief about Hannah’s firing. 

14 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Knee injuries are no joke. I was once convinced to walk down a mountain after taking a bad fall while skiing, and I paid dearly with pain, surgeries, PT, etc. Knee has never been the same.

Why didn't the chef at least ice his knee and take Aleve? I question whether he ordered all of those provisions, unless COVID forced them as a kind of insurance. Producer shenanigans?

MRIs don't show soft tissue damage (at least that's what I've been told).

I had to turn this off mid-way. The rapid preview edits of disasters, combined with the chef disaster, was too much.

MRI’s are actually good at picking up soft tissue injuries. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, Emmeline said:

We’re in the boat together.  I once watched most of the housewives and I’m also down to the same two.  Watching BH just to see Erika’s behavior, talk about schadenfreude.  I love that word!

I'm waiting for SLC and Jen Shah getting arrested while filming.

12 hours ago, dleighg said:

How did "hang and steam" turn into "launder"? Seriously, one would think that listening is job 1 in service.

Didn't a recent season have a stew that didn't listen to instructions. I think it was original recipe.  She also mixed cleaning chemicals and caused fumes.

My theory is Chef was intimidated by the cameras.  Also, someone said he should take aleve for his injury.  Sandy would have probably fire him for not logging his medication properly.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 6/28/2021 at 8:29 PM, PaperTree said:

Kiko karma comin' at you Queen Sandy.

eta:  Have dinner catered at the dock.  There are plenty of restaurants around.

Wouldn't it be fun for Kiko to be available to take the place of this chef?! Watching Sandy kowtowing down to him would be amazing!

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
(edited)
16 hours ago, Meowwww said:

She mentioned Duska’s boat had been in their quarantine bubble. 

Duska’s boat was that moored next to BDSY and used by them for their day off cruise, apparently it’s also being used for production crew. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1

As much as I dislike Sandy, I found this episode very stressful. I still enjoy watching competence and my thoughts around how much a cruise like this costs versus what they are getting for it ( a totally unpalatable meal and the prospect of more of the same) make this hard to watch.

• Love 3

Holy crap, is this getting off to bad start!  Loved seeing Sandy squirm but that whole situation really did suck. I felt bad for all of them. That chef had absolutely no idea what he was doing. That provision order! Omg! Did u see all the fruit he ordered? I mean trays and trays of fruit, berries and there was an entire tray of fresh figs! They go bad in like 1 day! Ugh, i just felt bad for him because clearly he couldn’t handle it and just wanted out in any way, he took the knee pain and just ran with it. You could tell he was fighting back tears the minute he saw that provision order. He knew he was screwed.  Also, and i think this is completely unfair—that boat is way too big for this type of show that only uses 1 chef. This is the type of yacht that uses more than 1 chef, has sous chefs and food runners. The galley was huge. The pantry being 2 floors down is ridiculous for only 1 chef. Agreed, this episode was so cringe and extremely hard to watch. Yes, those guests are high maintenance a-holes but i would be just as upset and say the same things to Sandy.  The primary with “steam and hang all my clothes” while wearing a dress from Forever 21.  I literally have that exact same dress, it was $27.  I mean, that meal was just inexcusable.  I think sandys excuse is going to be, look it’s a pandemic, this is the best we could do. If i were that primary, i would demand my money back and leave. Side note, i love Lloyd! I though from the previews he would be a huge dork, and that mustache is a no, but so far, he’s my favorite. The preview for the rest of the season looks like a nightmare. 

• Love 14
1 minute ago, Inga said:

The primary with “steam and hang all my clothes” while wearing a dress from Forever 21.  I literally have that exact same dress, it was $27. 

That's hilarious; I'll have to go back and look. What's the dress look like?

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

It was kind of retro looking, blue and orange, graphic pattern. Long wrap dress. I actually really like it, but doesn’t fit me well ☹️

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

If you google Forever 21 retro billowy surplice dress, you’ll see it. $27.90. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 5
On 6/28/2021 at 6:15 PM, nytonc said:

I’m in just to see the karmic comeuppance bite Malia and Sandy in the ass. 

Sandy came back because she loves to “mentor” people?  In her world, mentoring means criticizing and demeaning and being up someone’s ass 24/7. 

The second those words came out of her mouth, my instant response back at the TV was, 'No, you came back because you're a flagrant fame whore.'

I too am only hate-watching at this point, hoping to see Malaria and Captain f***head hopefully repeatedly receive their comeuppances. 

I finally gave up on my last two Housewives shows (Beverly Hills and New York) the year that Lisa Vanderpump got bullied to death (even more than she ever had been before) and finally left the show for good.  All I have left of BRAVO shows are the Below Decks and Family Karma.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/28/2021 at 6:52 PM, TexasGal said:

Wait, chief stew doesn’t like tacky table decor?  She and Sandy will be butting heads in no time. 😂

One of the first things that made me like about this chief stew.  On a superficial note, I think she's absolutely gorgeous.  Hopefully she won't have a shi**y personality that will make me later hate her.  Visions of that tacky a** chief stew a**hole buddy of Malaria's, Bucky, no Bugsy, having a heart attack at the low key table settings enjoyably flashed through my brain.

I already don't like stews #2 & 3.  Stew #2, "I never tell anyone about my pageant days".  How many people has she already told within the first half hour of episode 1?  I think at least 3.  I think she and stew #3 both hate their jobs, think they're too good for it and that they instead should be the sugar baby passengers being waited on hand and foot.

Deckhand "Nicholas Cage" - uh, no.  He really does, though, look like the old time actor Peter Sellers of "The Pink Panther" fame.  Thus far I do like his pleasant, upbeat personality.  Hopefully that's who he really is, a pleasant guy.

Even though there are no drop dead gorgeous deckhands this season (though as much as I hate Malaria with the heat of 1,000 suns, I will giver her a compliment where it's due, and that is that I like her with the blonder hair), I find something very attractive about the other British deckhand, in an offbeat, unconventional way.

Edited by Xebug67
Typo
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 6/28/2021 at 8:26 PM, Mstk3000 said:

I agree that they should have had the dinner catered, because of the charter guests.  But the original chef over-ordered everything and those provisions were going to go bad.  I felt bad for the way they were treating the lobsters.  I know they aren't sentient beings in the same sense as mammals, but just throwing them around and trying to figure out how to cut them while they are alive was unsettling to watch.  And after all that, none of the food was enjoyed because it wasn't prepared well.  Such a waste. 

Honestly, that made me sick to my stomach.  I've been a serious vegetarian for going on 32 years now.  I'm an animal rights vegetarian, as opposed for those people who are for health reasons.  I just can never bear knowing that lobsters are boiled while they're still alive.  Yest, it's better that they killed them before cooking them, but the indignity of the production that they all made over killing them is what really got to me.

On a lighter note, whenever I say I could never eat a living thing, my non-vegetarian husband always tells me I eat lettuce, and that I'm eating his food's food, LOL.

Edited by Xebug67
Typo
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Xebug67 said:

I already don't like stews #2 & 3.  Ste #2, "I never tell anyone about my pageant days".  How many people has she already told within the first half hour of episode 1?  I think at least 3.  I think she and stew #3 both hate their jobs, think they're too good for it and that they instead should be the sugar baby passengers being waited on hand and foot.

didn't pageant girl essentially say that? And honestly, I wouldn't give her a second glance on the street, pageant-winner or not.

• Love 5
On 6/29/2021 at 3:08 AM, Kdawg82 said:

Is it me or is there more staff on this boat?! It's going to be another hard to keep track. Mostly likeable people with exception of Sandy & Malia. I can't believe the chef, too! Idk what "happened" to his "knee" but he came across super intimidated. I was so happy to have enjoyed his presence at first. Then he sort of came off like a big baby. Unprofessional. I think it's the "doing a wedding by myself" thing. I don't disagree the stairs are quite cumbersome but an MRI?!! I wonder who the chef will be if Matthew doesn't return. As a guest, I'd be really disappointed in the food situation also. Not that I eat anything that was served besides steak & the salad. But the sous chef they brought on board-bless her heart- was either very intimidated & nervous or didn't know jack sh** about cooking. That was a hot mess. I don't usually cook & don't know much besides what I have learned from my husband & a bit from watching mom while growing up- but I know that the steak was not done properly at all & it's pretty hard to screw up cuts of meat like that. 

I too at the very first thought this chef seemed like a decent, friendly, easy going guy, but I lost all respect for him when he connived to get out of the first day's work because of his pseudo knee injury.  Just as I lost respect for Rachel on the Original Below Deck this past year, when she had her temper tantrums, quitting and leaving the rest of the crew and guests high and dry before ultimately coming back.

Yes, there were a lot of/too many steps (the harbinger of this becoming an issue for someone was when Sandy at the very start of the episode was talking about how this yacht was specially designed for charters).  They should have had corny, ominous music playing in the background while she was saying that.

I mean, I can understand freaking out a little bit, but this is YOUR job that YOU signed up for, chef.  Pull it together and DO YOUR dang job.

I love how everyone else in the crew seems to be on to him, and how his knee "injury" came and went.

Moving forward, even if he redeems himself, I doubt that I will like him again.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 5:29 AM, dleighg said:

How did "hang and steam" turn into "launder"? Seriously, one would think that listening is job 1 in service.

Just like another idiot stew with poor listening from one of the previous Below Decks (I can't remember her name or which Below Deck it was) who was told to only launder I think the master bedroom's bedding, and the idiot who had similar poor listening skills laundered all of the bedding from all of the rooms.

It's like they zone out when they're being given their instructions, and/or only hear what they want to hear.

But I can't for the life of me figure that someone would give themselves more work intentionally, regarding the extra laundering duties they brought upon themselves.

Edited by Xebug67
Corrected punctuation
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Xebug67 said:

Just like another idiot stew with poor listening from one of the previous Below Decks (I can't remember her name or which Below Deck it was)

It was Elizabeth on the last season of regular BD. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It was Elizabeth on the last season of regular BD. 

Thanks, BiakBiak.  They're all starting to bleed together, LOL  Either that, or older age memory loss is kicking in.

• LOL 5
53 minutes ago, Xebug67 said:

Thanks, BiakBiak.  They're all starting to bleed together, LOL  Either that, or older age memory loss is kicking in.

I on the other hand wish I didn’t remember them! 

• LOL 5

Chef better remember to register his anxiety meds with Sandy, we all know what happens when you don't.  Which brings me to my next question, didn't Chef tell Sandy he has anxiety and wouldn't lead to a follow up question from her as in, "do you take medication for that, if so please show me the perscription, etc..."

I hope Malia does not put Chef on her shit list because before you know it she will be sending Sandy photos of his toiletries, right?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

No eye candy for me, unless they bring back those 3 engineers I saw a quick glimpse of. 

I really, really want to know what the casting decision was here. None of the stews are going to hook up with any of these dorks, and God knows that's what Bravo wants every season. Are they trying to avoid hook-ups because of Covid? These are literally the most unattractive deck hands they've ever had. We're talking < Pete. 

And yeah, Lloyd, you kinda look like Nicholas Cage . . .  if he was cross-bred with Mr. Bean.

Edited by iMonrey
  • LOL 9

The main thing that I was focused on in this episode was the boat itself. I am kind of amazed they used this boat for the show- it looks so old and dated inside - all that dark brown wood everywhere.  It looks like it was designed in the 90's.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

The main thing that I was focused on in this episode was the boat itself. I am kind of amazed they used this boat for the show- it looks so old and dated inside - all that dark brown wood everywhere.  It looks like it was designed in the 90's.  

Yeah, it should be all white and grey with shaker cabinets. Oh, and what's with all these different deck levels? It needs a gut job. Open concept is where it's at. It should just be 1024px-Aerial_view_of_HMS_Queen_Elizabet

• LOL 17
  • Love 1

Please stop discussing other shows in the Below Deck Mediterranean forum. Those posts are considered off-topic. If you wish to discuss another show, either do it in that show's actual forum/thread or in Small Talk. Posts have been hidden as a result. 

13 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I really, really want to know what the casting decision was here. None of the stews are going to hook up with any of these dorks, and God knows that's what Bravo wants every season. Are they trying to avoid hook-ups because of Covid? These are literally the most unattractive deck hands they've ever had. We're talking < Pete. 

And yeah, Lloyd, you kinda look like Nicholas Cage . . .  if he was cross-bred with Mr. Bean.

I truly thought this past Sailing Yacht season's cast was the most unattractive group and I was shocked, shocked I tell you that any of them hooked up. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I truly thought this past Sailing Yacht season's cast was the most unattractive group and I was shocked, shocked I tell you that any of them hooked up. 

The fact that two people fought over GARY!!!! Is proof that when a boatmance needs to happen it will! The fact that the first officer isn’t a cast member indicates the rumors are true and Sandy isn’t actually captaining rhe boat due to her lapsed license.. 

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I thought Malia was right - he looks like Mario

I would imagine the casting pool is greatly diminished by COVID and any new requirements imposed by the production company.  Miss Barbados and the blonde 3rd stew are very attractive as is the cheerful lobster slayer.  The rest are normal people - like us.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2