Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: A Yaught in Kneed

• Start Topic

On 6/29/2021 at 12:18 PM, Mr. Miner said:

Instead Sandy called a sous chef that apparently didn't know how to boil water.

When she arrived, she told Sandy she was an "assistant."   From the 'net:  WHAT IS A SOUS CHEF & WHAT ARE THEY RESPONSIBLE FOR?

A Sous Chef is second in command after the Executive Chef in a professional kitchen. This means he or she answers to the chef, but also has some authority over the other kitchen staff. Many of the terms that relate to cooking and cuisine in a professional setting are French.  Sous is French for under, so you can see how the sous chef would work directly under the leader of the kitchen. If the Chef is unavailable or off for the night, the sous chef is in command, and the kitchen staff is expected to offer the same respect to him or her as they would to the boss. Often times, a Sous Chef will work in the role for several years with the goal to move on to become an Executive Chef.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

She definitely wasn't a sous chef. Sous chefs have skills. As @Back Atcha mentioned, she specifically said she was an assistant when she came on board and talked to Yawn. Considering that the two boats were in the same bubble, and that it sounds like that may be the boat with the crew, there was definitely some producer fun going on there. That or the other boat was all - send her - so that they didn't have to deal with her for a bit. She was completely clueless to not even get steak right. I also find it funny that Yawn thought another boat would give up their sous chef for a night!!!

Also didn't yawn talk about how she really helps out when it is needed on the last season? She didn't seem to really help out that much. she didn't even delegate well. She is such a bad leader that all her talk about mentoring made me LOL. 

• Love 12
On 6/28/2021 at 6:28 PM, 65mickey said:

Sandy get Melia the bosun to consult with the chef on what he wants to do. Wouldn't it been more appropriate to have the chief stew in on that conversation? 

I don't know- Malia was in the kitchen quite often last season bailing Tom's ass out of hot water.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Why don’t they cast a souls chef? It’s never made sense to me to have a one man show for something as important as feeding the guests. 
The new chief stew seems likable. Ms Bahamas seems full of herself. The deckhands seemed alright. You wouldn’t know what an obnoxious rat fink the boson is based on this episode.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Chatty Cake said:

Why don’t they cast a souls chef? It’s never made sense to me to have a one man show for something as important as feeding the guests. 

As well as feeding 10 or so crew members.  That's a lot of work 3 times a day, plus throw in the silly picnics here and there.

• Love 7

Probably because they want it to be as chaotic as possible. There should probably be more stews and more deckhands, too. I've noticed some of the stews saying they worked on a boat with 10 people under them, yet the yachts they use on this show are some of the biggest around, so why the skeleton crews for such huge boats? Drama.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I've noticed some of the stews saying they worked on a boat with 10 people under them, yet the yachts they use on this show are some of the biggest around, so why the skeleton crews for such huge boats? Drama

it does seem understaffed to me, particularly in the kitchen (I mean the chef has to prepare breakfast at whatever time the guests get up, and then it seems pretty much work through the day until their typically rather late dinners. That's a lot of stress), but then again the crew bunks seem to be limited, hence all the drama about who rooms with whom on many seasons. Do you think they are deliberately "walling off" a couple extra double bunks for more crew?

• Useful 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Do you think they are deliberately "walling off" a couple extra double bunks for more crew?

I don’t know about “deliberate” or if it’s because of production but the Lady Michelle has room for 14 crew and they have 12 crew this season, 9 cast and the 3 that were introduced but won’t be shown much if at all.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 4
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t know about “deliberate” or if it’s because of production but the Lady Michelle has room for 14 crew and they have 12 crew this season, 9 cast and the 3 that were introduced but won’t be shown much if at all.

So, if Malia hooks up with one of the crew, she won't have to use her clout with Sandy to move someone else out of their room because there's an extra room available.  😁

• LOL 3

I think the Nicholas Cage story was funny - I think the joke was that some dude said he looked like Nicholas Cage, and he doesn't at all, so they made a big thing of it with the t-shirt and everything.

Aside from Captain Sandy and Malia, rest of the crew seems promising, in a "I won't hate them before the season is over" kind of way.  Of course, I often feel that way at the start of a new season...

• LOL 3
On 7/5/2021 at 11:51 AM, Chatty Cake said:

The new chief stew seems likable. Ms Bahamas seems full of herself. The deckhands seemed alright. You wouldn’t know what an obnoxious rat fink the boson is based on this episode.

I don't get that either.  That's a lot of work for one person.  

• Love 3