Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Over 90 again but needed to eat so managed to make a tuna salad but it seemed like too much to turn that into a sandwich, so eating it out of bowl with crackers! Luckily for me the rosé in the fridge was a twist off so managed to summon the energy to open it!

• Love 3

It has been hideously hot even here at the beach since Monday (setting records hot, not just in my imagination hot) and I also have no energy to do more than twist the cap off some Firestone Sauvignon Blanc. So last night was salad with some of that wild salmon that comes in a pouch (surprisingly edible and my cat thinks its great). At least the salad involved mixed herbs and greens, vine ripened tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and homemade ranch dressing. And a yummy tangerine for dessert.

• Love 1

Ordered brunch delivery today.  Egg white and spinach sandwich with a salad for me, a bacon and egg sandwich w/ fries for DH and then pancakes to share.  The little guy had his own brunch lunch earlier so he only ate a bit of what we had.  The pancakes were supposed to be from their "kids' menu," but goodness, they're certainly GENEROUS!

Dinner tonight?  I ordered a salad earlier, so we'll have that, along with a bit of bread and cheese and maybe some additional protein.  I still have one piece of pancake left for dessert if we feel like it.  

• Love 1

Ravioli lasagna made with pumpkin & sage ravioli, pumpkin chipolte pasta sauce, Transylvanian cave cheese (it's a thing) all thanks to Aldi, some mozzarella and Parmesan to fill out the cheese needs, and a light dusting on top with ground sage for a little extra color. Yum!

• Love 1

@LucindaWalsh, that was creative use of leftover sloppy joes! I usually just freeze it, but maybe I’ll try your recipe next.

We ordered BBQ takeout from a new-to-us place. We’re in Massachusetts, so I was a little skeptical, but it was really good! Chopped BBQ beef, collard greens, BBQ beans, coleslaw, and macaroni and cheese. We have lots of leftovers, so will have it again tomorrow. We don’t have a lot of good takeout places in our neighborhood (this place is 20 minutes away) so it’s nice to find a new place. 

• Love 1

Blue Apron spicy chicken stir fry with veggies over rice with diced persimmon in rice vinegar. I baked the Bobby Flay chocolate chip cookie dough I made yesterday (it needs to rest for at least 24 hours), so that was dessert.

I'd never had persimmon before. My husband said he used to pick them off trees.

• Love 1

One advantage to living alone is that when you make the effort and cook up something yummy, you get to eat it for days on end. So last night, having had a super busy day giving away food at my local food pantry, I came home to my third meal (one more to go!) of the meatballs in spicy tomato sauce I made last weekend - I like to use 2/3 ground pork and 1/3 ground beef (I prefer chuck for this), some plain breadcrumbs, chopped red onion, an egg and lots of garlic, black pepper and oregano for the meatballs. The sauce started with plain tomato sauce with some freshly chopped tomatoes, chopped fresh garlic, basil, oregano, chopped yellow onion, pepper and red wine. Once I browned the meatballs and added the sauce I put in a little water to cook it down. You notice I don't use any additional salt - I find nowadays that the natural salt in food is plenty sufficient and that restaurant food is way too salty.

• Love 2

Leftovers Publix subs and homemade corn chowder. I made lunch for a work group today and have quite a few slices of the sub ring left (which ended up being free due to Publix not making the order in time for pick up) so I have a feeling I'll be eating then for my weekend meals.

On 10/17/2020 at 4:27 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

A bunch of dredged in seasoned flour chicken tenderloins fried crispy. Drizzled with a syrup mixed with Texas Pete, chopped bacon. Baked sweet carrots and boiled with the peel on new potatoes that were then smooshed and loaded with butter.  The tenderloins and carrots were dipped in an herb-y dill pickle ranch dressing. The dressing is going to for sure be used the next Friday fish day. 

A small pumpkin cream stuffed croissant dusted with powdered sugar that my future (next weekend!!) daughter in law brought late this morning.  

I like the syrup with Texas Pete and chopped bacon--yum!!  Good luck with getting through the wedding. They're fun but a lot of work.

Cheesy pork chorizo enchiladas with shishito peppers and rice.

When did shishito peppers become a thing? I'd never heard of them before they started showing up in my Blue Apron box, Ina has a recipe for roasted shishito peppers with hollandaise sauce in her new cookbook Modern Comfort Food. I'm in and out of the grocery store so fast these days I haven't bothered to see if they carry them.

11 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

When did shishito peppers become a thing?

Have they become trendy or something?  They're part of the vegetable tempura appetizer at a Japanese restaurant I've been eating from most of my life, but I haven't noticed an overall uptick in shishito pepper dishes.  Of course, I don't get out  much. 

I hate everyone and everything tonight, so I do not want to cook but need to soak up the bourbon, so I'm going to order comfort food - a mixed greens and avocado salad with green goddess dressing, chicken wings in mango habañero sauce, and a thin crust whole wheat pizza with pesto sauce, shrimp, Italian sausage, and spinach.  That all usually yields ample leftovers, but I plan on chowing down.

• Love 4

For dinner, I had Hawaiian (brand) Original Potato Chips, from the Party Size bag (I didn’t eat the whole bag) & a Wild Cherry Pepsi.

In my defense, I had a big lunch today—the special where I live was 1 of my favorites: ham & cheese quiche (I had 2 pieces), fresh fruit salad, & a piece of peach cobbler (they/their food provider make mostly really good desserts; cobblers, especially) with another Wild Cherry Pepsi (having been born & raised [partially] in the South, I prefer Cherry Coke or Cherry Coke Zero Sugar, or even original Coke, but my assisted living center contracted with Pepsi... What can you do?)

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment and correct a product name.
  • Love 1

Chicken Lo Mein.

I thought for awhile it was going to be peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Our power went out about 2:30. We got a lot of rain from Zeta but no wind, but that was enough to cause a fuse to blow in our neighborhood. We got power back 2 hours later.

• Love 2

My friend offered to get take out (he is one of the few ppl that I trust to have contact with and this is only my second take out since March) so I’m having chicken Parmesan with a small side salad. He is having Chicken Alfredo. We may give each other tastes of each other’s before diving in. This is late for me and I haven’t eaten since 1 egg for breakfast. 12 hrs ago. Anything sounds good now because I’m so hungry. 

• Love 1

I bought a premarinated chicken and roasted it last night.  It was HUGE - nearly (small) turkey sized!  Needless to say, there were leftovers.  I'm reheating that tonight with a salad I ordered along with my brunch delivery.  I also have quesadillas in the freezer that I want to heat up.

Brunch today:  Daal (Indian style lentil stew) with a poached egg, salad and toast.  Also half a biscuit with ricotta and blueberry compote.  

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I bought a premarinated chicken and roasted it last night.  It was HUGE - nearly (small) turkey sized! 

It's obscene how large the factory-farmed chickens are.  I won't buy them on general principle, but the times I've been tempted by a great sale at the grocery chain, I've pawed through the selection and never found one under five pounds and plenty that are hovering around seven pounds!

Even if I didn't care what's done to them to make them grow that large that fast, that would be way too much chicken - I like it, and it's quite versatile, but I don't want to eat chicken-based dishes for a week straight!  A 3-1/2 pound chicken is the perfect size for me; when I roast one, I eat the wings while I'm letting it rest, and then have one leg as my dinner.  That leaves me the other leg for another meal, and all the breast meat to divvy up between pastas, salads, and chicken salad sandwiches.  (The carcass is used to make stock.)

I suspect tonight may be one in which I make a big bowl of spinach, artichoke, and cheese dip, open up a bag of tortilla chips, and go to town; I'm in massive election anxiety mode, the Rams are playing like shit right now so football is not a pleasant distraction, and when it gets dark at an unholy hour, I'll be even more depressed.  So, since I have all the ingredients, I suspect I'll go that route rather than - here's the relevance - roasting the chicken I have in the fridge.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It's obscene how large the factory-farmed chickens are.  I won't buy them on general principle, but the times I've been tempted by a great sale at the grocery chain, I've pawed through the selection and never found one under five pounds and plenty that are hovering around seven pounds!

Even if I didn't care what's done to them to make them grow that large that fast, that would be way too much chicken - I like it, and it's quite versatile, but I don't want to eat chicken-based dishes for a week straight!  A 3-1/2 pound chicken is the perfect size for me; when I roast one, I eat the wings while I'm letting it rest, and then have one leg as my dinner.  That leaves me the other leg for another meal, and all the breast meat to divvy up between pastas, salads, and chicken salad sandwiches.  (The carcass is used to make stock.)

I suspect tonight may be one in which I make a big bowl of spinach, artichoke, and cheese dip, open up a bag of tortilla chips, and go to town; I'm in massive election anxiety mode, the Rams are playing like shit right now so football is not a pleasant distraction, and when it gets dark at an unholy hour, I'll be even more depressed.  So, since I have all the ingredients, I suspect I'll go that route rather than - here's the relevance - roasting the chicken I have in the fridge.

Cooked chicken is freezable, so you can always shred or chop some of the meat and save it for another time, weeks away.  Mine was already butterflied, so no bones for stock.  

LOL on eating the wings - wings aren't very reheat-friendly the next day, so I, too, ate the remaining wing last night.  I think I have enough for 1 1/2 people (my parents ate with us yesterday.  They live in our building and are part of our bubble).  With the extra salad and empanadas (actually, that's what I have in the freezer.  Quesadillas were eaten another time), I definitely have enough for 2 adults and a toddler (who eats part of a meal beforehand we eat, anyway).