Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Tonight was spinach risotto and half a small sweet cantaloupe (think just a bit larger than a softball) with Port wine in the center (after its been de seeded). The latter is something we had in Spain. 

• Love 1

I had a hankering for a burrito last evening so went to a place that makes a tri tip burrito and they were sold out (they had chili relleno burritos but that did not appeal). After standing around a bit forlornly the manager volunteered to make me a tri tip burrito and since he was doing it just for me I was able to get him to leave the rice out (this place uses both beans and rice, which I think is starch overkill). It was full of lots of tri tip, beans, cheese and salsa for $6.00 and way too much food for one meal (for me). What I should have done was eat half and leave the other half for today's lunch but nooooooooo.....I ate 3/4 and spent the rest of the evening feeling entirely overstuffed. No room for the white peach I had anticipated for dessert. But it was delicious!

• Love 3
On 7/7/2020 at 5:39 PM, biakbiak said:

Every time I cook something en Papillote (encased in parchment paper and baked) I think I should do this more often because it’s dead simple, quick and requires minimal clean up and then I forgot to do it for another six months or a year.

I'm the same!

It's getting rather slim pickings in my fridge (I limit my shopping to once every 2-3 weeks during the pandemic, as the numbers are still atrocious here in L.A.). 

I made some seafood pozole verde a few days ago that I've been alternating with turkey wraps and egg white scrambles for lunches. 

I grilled a ribeye steak for last night's dinner (even though I just had a cheeseburger last weekend for 4th of July, so I may start mooing from the increased beef intake) and had that with artichoke (and a garlic wine dipping sauce) and the last mixed greens salad I could cobble together.

So tonight I let someone else do the cooking and Thai food is on its way:  chicken satay, som tum salad, and pad ped seafood (shrimp, squid, and mussels).

That will give me leftovers, but it will still be time to venture out to market tomorrow as I have plenty of meat in the freezer but the fresh produce is pretty much gone.

• Love 1

Yesterday's dinner was chickpea and vegetable fried bulgur.  Think fried rice, but with bulgur wheat.  My mom liked the photo I shared on Instagram, but I'm pretty sure she finds my food rather....interesting.  At least she's not like a frienemy of mine who is going through a phase of (re)discovering her heritage - posting pictures of items that are common in Chinese cuisine.  It's as if she's trying to shame people who aren't actively following/(re)discovering their ancestry.  And TBH, I have Hong Kong roots, so fusion-y foods like fried bulgur wouldn't be all that out of the ordinary! 🙂 

• Love 2

Lunch was grilled chicken thighs that I made yesterday, with a cold curried pearl couscous salad with pine nuts and feta. Dinner is going to be spaghetti and meat sauce made in the Instant Pot and a salad. I’m also making sloppy joe meat for tomorrow, bacuse I defrosted more ground beef than I need for the spaghetti. With all of the leftovers I might not have to cook again until Friday.

• Love 3

Lunch was pho with imperial rolls and Vietnamese iced coffee from our favorite Vietnamese place.

For dinner I did a stir fry with the various odds and ends I had left over from making a ton of dumplings to freeze and to have for quick snacks and various vegetable so ground pork, Napa cabbage, green beans and red pepper Thai chilis, ginger, garlic and used a little of the pho broth that I saved for a quick sauce.

• Love 1

Lunch was a small amount of pasta with greens and cannellini beans and a tiny bit of homemade whole multigrain bread (yeah, I know...carb overload.  But at least they were whole grains?)

Dinner tonight will be eggplant, zucchini and ground turkey casserole (pasta/rice-free).  

11 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Fresh-picked sweet corn from the farmer's market.  It was so delicious!  But if anyone has any helpful hints to get rid of the silks, I'm all ears (heh).

I get as much of the silk off as I can, then run it under cold water while using a bristle brush to start at the top and brush down. Gets rid of most of it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I get as much of the silk off as I can, then run it under cold water while using a bristle brush to start at the top and brush down. Gets rid of most of it.

Thanks!  I'll try that with the next batch I get, probably next week.

Blue Apron dinner of grilled salmon with Weeknight Spice Blend (whatever that is, but it was good), roasted cubed potatoes and green beans. Green beans were mixed with fromage blanc and mustard sauce,

(edited)

We had Korean Beef & Noodles (thin spaghetti) despite humongo storms rolling eastward. Better not be stormy tomorrow--Dr. Fauci is throwing out the first ball when the Nats play the Yankees. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 2

The grill master braved the rain to cook us beef tenderloin steaks from Omaha Steaks. I served them with baked potato and steamed asparagus. I'm trying to clean out the garage freezer of Omaha Steak products that I stocked up on because of the pandemic. We have a new kitchen fridge coming end of August, we hope. It's not easy buying appliances during a pandemic, because of factory closings and difficulty get parts from China.

Lunch was oat penne tossed with greens, chickpeas and quark (it's a cheese spread similar in texture as cream cheese but very low fat)

I'm not sure about dinner.  I think I'm going to make chicken strips and broccoli.  

Yesterday I went out to lunch (outside of course, but it was swell!) and had a grilled chicken sandwich that came on some great Italian style bread with pepper jack, avocado, sprouts and a spicy mayonnaise. Since the sandwich also came with a big salad, I ate half the sandwich and the salad and brought the other half of the sandwich home. Well - looking at it today (I did properly wrap it up and refrigerate), the avocado and sprouts are yuck so I have decided to take the chicken and throw the rest away and make a big salad with fresh avocado, mixed wild greens, tomatoes, cucumber and ranch dressing (my local market makes their own ranch dressing which is so good I just lick it off the spoon - I call it "crackranch dressing"). I also have a zucchini that I think was grown with steroids (it is huge!) that was given to me at the food pantry (I work there, I'm not a client) because we have so much zucchini. I want to make the zucchini into ersatz pasta and bought a weird little device that is supposed to do this so that is tonight's food experiment!

• Love 1

I had to use up the last of the vat of collards I made so decided to go with a big cheesy gooey baked mac and cheese with a bunch of leftover knobs of cheese we have so smoked Gouda, gruyere, mozzarella, and extra sharp cheddar. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I had to use up the last of the vat of collards I made so decided to go with a big cheesy gooey baked mac and cheese with a bunch of leftover knobs of cheese we have so smoked Gouda, gruyere, mozzarella, and extra sharp cheddar. 

I love collards and mac and cheese! 
I’m making gazpacho for dinner, with focaccia on the side. It’s so hot here I might not want to eat it.

• Love 1

Breakfast today: baked oatmeal squares (which I made last week and froze) with berries and yogurt

Lunch:  Steamed greens and salmon

Dinner tonight:  I plan to bake vegetable gyoza (frozen) with tomato sauce, a bit of bocconcini and vegetables.  I have zero idea what temperature or for how long for gyoza itself, but I've found several oven baked ravioli recipes and will base it on that

it is my boyfriend’s birthday so got takeout from his favorite Thai place: curry puffs, crab rolls, larb, green papaya salad a duck curry with garlic rice. For dessert I made his favorite coconut cream pie. 

• Love 5

I needed a break so we ordered Chinese delivery. My fortune cookie said:"The night life is for you". This is so true. I have a hard time going to sleep cause I'm reading lots of articles on my smartphone until the wee hours 😉

• Love 2

Blue Apron Cajun spiced shrimp with veggies over corn pancakes. It was good. This is something I would never make on my own, so this is a case of nice to have just the right amount of ingredients to make the dish.

Last night I did a throwback to my childhood. I made a pot roast in an oven bag. There were onions, carrots, celery and potatoes in the bag and I steamed up some fresh green beans for a side. I need to tweak my mother’s recipe, but it was basically ok. I did like the oven bag. It made clean up a snap. 

• Love 1

Today's brunch:  Shakshuka from a German-Israeli (the restaurant was originally from Germany, but moved to Israel mid-20th century, according to Wikipedia)

Dinner tonight:  I'm thawing and reheating a jerk chicken I got from a cook-and-reheat catering service as well as mac and cheese and some vegetables. 

On 7/23/2020 at 7:50 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Wednesday dinner: thin and crispy Dominoes pizza.

Thursday dinner: leftover thin and crispy Dominoes pizza. 

I know theirs is more of the thin and crispy variety but if you also like a thin and kind of folds when you a hold a slice I have to say the Shaq-a roni from Papa Johns is pretty solid for it being from one of the major 3 for 12 bucks. 

I’m making linguine and meatballs with the recipe from Gimme Some Oven site for best meatballs- they are divine!  And a Caesar salad. 

• Love 1
On 7/29/2020 at 9:17 PM, biakbiak said:

it is my boyfriend’s birthday so got takeout from his favorite Thai place: curry puffs, crab rolls, larb, green papaya salad a duck curry with garlic rice. For dessert I made his favorite coconut cream pie. 

If I was your SO there would be no takeout on my birthday.   That’s like dating Emeril and he orders takeout haha!

@biakbak I want 4 cheese stuffed hand made ravioli in a Gorgonzola sauce, homemade garlic bread, a salad with brioche croutons and something chocolate and divine. 

I kid- I love you got him that but I am amazed at your skill. 

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, KnoxForPres said:

I know theirs is more of the thin and crispy variety but if you also like a thin and kind of folds when you a hold a slice I have to say the Shaq-a roni from Papa Johns is pretty solid for it being from one of the major 3 for 12 bucks. 

Ooh, thanks. I may have to try this. Papa's John's in across the street from my work.

2 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

kid- I love you got him that but I am amazed at your skill. 

Awww, thank you so much! He wanted takeout so he could force me to go on a super long bike ride without me making an excuse we could spend more time on his birthday together. 

We had buttermilk to use up so fried chicken and potato salad and corn on the cob. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I wanted something super simple and that would not require washing dishes last night so I took a bone in chicken breast and liberally doused it in Myer's lemon juice, then sprinkled on a little salt, freshly ground black pepper, lots of garlic powder and a bunch of dried oregano, and then put several pats of butter on top. All this went into a foil lined baking pan and cooked at 375 degrees for one hour. It was delicious and very tender.

• Love 1