Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Whenever I am out of ideas for what to make I google two or three of the ingredients I want to use up  together, this time it was lamb shanks and leeks and discovered a recipe that cooked lamb shanks en Papillote  so made that tonight with leeks, carrots, rosemary and orange with some couscous. Delicious and so easy, will definitely make it again! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

I made Ina's Roasted Butternut Squash & Kale Saute, along with rotisserie chicken, customized Stovetop stuffing, and lingonberry sauce. I had to gussy up the squash & kale by adding maple syrup & that *really* made it delicious. But I need to find something not as tough as kale (yet not a green that would end up mushy). 

If you’re near an IKEA there Lingonberry sauce is quite good and they sell in a separate food section at the front of the store so you can get in and out quickly. 

My boyfriend misread the grocery store list and bought a half gallon of heavy cream, which in his defense in a normal year we could easily go through between now and New Years Day, but given I am just cooking for the two of us instead of my plan to go eat light tonight changed to fettuccine Alfredo and an arugula salad.

The family isn't getting together this Christmas, so I'm cooking for one. I had leftover cornbread muffins with butter for breakfast and leftover spaghetti for lunch.  Dinner will be homemade chicken gumbo (as soon as the rice is ready) and hopefully-still-warm sour cream pound cake for dessert. Both foods that will make nice leftovers for the day after Christmas and beyond. 

• Love 4

Since I love having cooking projects which can be hard when it’s just the two of us for the holiday I decided to challenge myself to making from scratch (including the aspic for the soup dumplings) some of our favorite dim sum dishes: so we had xiaolongbao, char siu bao, shrimp shu mai, scallion pancakes, Chinese broccoli, shrimp toast, and finished off with some char siu fried rice because I had leftover char siu. 

• Love 4

I made Christmas Eve dinner for a dear friend who, like me, was going to be on his own this holiday and we agreed upon (and feasted upon!) prime New York strip steaks, baked potatoes, green salad with lots of avocado, and pecan pie with whipped cream - all of which came out perfectly. So today I'm not cooking nothing, but going over to another friend's house who invited me for "Christmas grazing" (she says no sit down dinner - just a loaded buffet table for munching on over a period of some hours, interspersed with carol singing and present opening). We've all been super careful about the (shhhh!) Covid so with some mask wearing and keeping reasonably well apart (and singing outside - the weather here is warm and sunny) we should be good to go! As "grazing" will include ham, I'm already drooling!

• Love 2

Roast duck with green peppercorns and Dijon, cheesy hassleback potatoes gratin, green beans almondine, an endive and radicchio salad with blue cheese and pear, sour cream and chive fantails, and a Lane Cake for dessert! 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Togarashi popcorn chicken with hoison mayo and sweet chili slaw. The slaw had a vegetable in it I've never heard of before - a watermelon radish.

This sounds so good! The hoison mayo caught my eye. What is togarashi popcorn chicken?

13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

This sounds so good! The hoison mayo caught my eye. What is togarashi popcorn chicken?

It was a Blue Apron dinner. The kit included cut up chicken that you coated with a mixture of flour, corn starch, and a spice mixture labeled togarashi spice. They say it was a mixture of sweet paprika, hot paprika, dried orange peel, poppy seeds, and white and black sesame seeds. The chicken is sautéed in olive oil. The mayo hoison sauce was served on the side. It was good.  

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It was a Blue Apron dinner. The kit included cut up chicken that you coated with a mixture of flour, corn starch, and a spice mixture labeled togarashi spice. They say it was a mixture of sweet paprika, hot paprika, dried orange peel, poppy seeds, and white and black sesame seeds. The chicken is sautéed in olive oil. The mayo hoison sauce was served on the side. It was good.  

Yum!  Thanks for the info'.

I will have the same thing I have had every year for (probably) decades: crackers, pumpernickel or rye bread (that small square shaped kind, cheese and summer sausage. This year I'll add in some smoked salmon, caviar and capers. It was tradition with my mom since I was in my teens and I've continued since she passed away - though I graduated from coke to champagne and gin. 

• Love 3

A few 'Li'l Smokies' sausages (baked in the oven) and a couple of crescent rolls with butter for breakfast, and a big bowl of chicken gumbo from Christmas for lunch (there is just enough left to put several servings in the freezer for later days). 

My New Year's Eve supper will be NY strip steak, a couple more crescent rolls, some type of veggie (maybe corn or a baked potato) with the last slice of sour cream pound cake and the remaining Klondyke Reese's PB ice cream bar as a dessert duo. 

We are basically grazing all day so I could get in all the tastes I want: oysters, shrimp cocktail, caviar with homemade potato chips, reverse seared NY strip with a bearnaise sauce, roasted cauliflower, blue cheese wedge, duck fat potatoes and a chocolate banana cream pie for dessert. And copious amounts of sparkling wines to help forget this shitty year! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I snack all day on New Year's and don't have dinner, but I usually make a really nice dinner on New Year's Eve (something I don't treat myself to all that often throughout the year because of how much time it takes and/or how much it costs).  Tonight, though, I will be making a big bowl of spinach, artichoke, and cheese dip and opening a bag of tortilla chips.  Washed down with gin and tonic.

• Love 1

We decided to have cheese and tomato omelets, bacon, and Pillsbury Grands - a meal we've made many times with success.. Tonight the omelet fell apart coming out of the pan, the biscuits had to go back in the oven as they were under baked. My husband overcooked the bacon. We looked at each other, and decided it was a fitting last meal for 2020. 🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

I'm starting the New Year off right by cleaning my house from top to bottom.  I've made a little dent, but still have a long ways to go.  Anyway, because I was busy with other stuff, I didn't really concentrate on cooking today.  I had leftover ham for breakfast and only an apple for lunch.  I do need to get my New Year's 'lucky' foods in today, so I just put a pot of black-eyed peas on to cook (with a little ham for seasoning).  I usually cook some cabbage (just cook it in a skillet with a little water and bacon or ham), but since they days' getting away from me I might have to just make a green salad for my 'lucky money greens' today and cook cabbage tomorrow. 

• Love 3

A chef acquaintance has started doing small batch meal kits with his amazing hand pulled noodles so we got his cold noodle kit (perilla seed paste, roasted garlic, his homemade shoyu, and amazing chili crisp) I topped it with a fried egg and it was perfection and brought me back to eating from food stalls in Chengdu. 

• Love 3

I had an absolute disaster of a collapse with my quiche crust which I was baking in a tart shell instead of a pie dish so instead of making a new crust I finished baking the crust which turned out so flakey and delicious and turned the quiche into a frittata and cut the crust into wedges and served it alongside with a salad.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I had lentils for New Years. I haven’t been able to chose what I want to eat in a long time, but I could tonight. 
I made tacos with all the fixings. It was a sloppy mess and tasted so good. I got a porterhouse steak dirt cheap. 
I’ll eat it tomorrow night with either a baked potato or potato salad and broccoli. I’ll make either Indian or 
Nasi Goreng this weekend when I have more time. 

• Love 1
On 1/5/2021 at 9:28 PM, biakbiak said:

Butter chicken, chana masala, and because I was craving it and it can’t really be delivered I made poori.

Off topic, but did you ever take a class with Eleanor Zelliot at Carleton or was she before your time? Every term she would have each of her classes over to help make and eat an Indian meal. I remember being thrilled when my first poori puffed up. And I made the kheer occasionally for years afterward.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Babalu said:

Off topic, but did you ever take a class with Eleanor Zelliot at Carleton or was she before your time? Every term she would have each of her classes over to help make and eat an Indian meal. I remember being thrilled when my first poori puffed up. And I made the kheer occasionally for years afterward.

Of my time because that lovely old bitty (she would have been honored) has my heart! Was my advisor for a 3 years until I changed my thesis so Harry Williams took over, he was awesome but had no good recipes!.

Her chai recipe also on point!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I was going to make Blue Apron Spanish-spiced salmon and farro, only to discover they didn't include the spice package and farro. They refunded the meal. I marinated the salmon for grilling, and am serving it with Omaha Steaks twice baked potatoes and green beans,