Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I'm making a turkey stir fry from Blue Apron, which is to be served over cauliflower rice. After reading the instructions on how to make the "rice" from a head of cauliflower, I decided - no, too much trouble. I'll make rice and use the cauliflower for something else. When I was telling my husband, he was, what? cauliflower rice? Never heard of such a thing. I said yes, it's for people who are watching their carbs. What he heard me say was - yes, it's for people washing their cars. Why would people want to wash their cars with cauliflower rice? 🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Summer in SF means 65 and overcast so white bean and ham soup with homemade sourdough.

I am envious of your dinner and your weather!

I had a tuna sandwich with tomato and watercress. I have eaten so many tuna sandwiches since I’ve been working from home. Somehow it’s also become the default dinner when neither of us feels like cooking. Maybe because we stocked up on so much tuna at the beginning of the pandemic. We still have at least 10 cans to go!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Summer in SF means 65 and overcast so white bean and ham soup with homemade sourdough.

I need to move to SF...65° in the summer? It's in the 90's here, don't wanna think what the humidity is. We had Thai delivery & my seafood curry was a bit too spicy (it didn't even have that little red pepper by it on the menu).  But it was delicious! Hurry up autumn.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Taco Tuesday with grilled local sweet corn on the cob.

Tacos here, too! (Granted, ours came delivered from GrubHub, but still...) And they gave more than ordered, we weren't charged, so bonus.  🙂

• Love 1

Last night was my three spice baked chicken thighs (oregano, thyme and basil with garlic powder, salt and pepper topped with a big pat of butter on each thigh - bake at 375 for 1 hour ten minutes) - tonight its going to be way too hot here to cook anything inside, so - grilled prime top sirloin steak with a salad should do nicely 🙂

Dinner was grilled sirloin beef steaks, grilled corn on the cob, and baked potatoes.

For the 1st time since I started using Blue Apron in April, my 3 meal box that was supposed to arrive today is MIA. Blue Apron has credited my account, but dang, that's 3 meals I did not plan on shopping for.

I had a mango smoothie for breakfast, a spinach salad for lunch, and Blue Apron* creamy pesto chicken with orzo for dinner.

*My Blue Apron box arrived Saturday morning (was supposed to arrive Friday), looking the worse for wear - wet from rain and starting to fall apart, but everything inside was okay. The gel freezer packs were still partially frozen enough to keep everything cold.

• Love 1

Lunch:  steamed kale and poached salmon 

Dinner tonight will be: Japanese-Mexican fusion - baked vegetarian gyoza (okay, reheating frozen ones in the oven) with vegetables, pinto beans and guacamole.

Edited by PRgal
25 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Coconut curry chicken, curry roasted cauliflower, and basmati rice. 

I've got a leftover head of cauliflower I didn't use from a Blue Apron dinner that called for making cauliflower "rice" from it. Instead I just made regular rice. Curry roasted cauliflower sounds good!

10 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I've got a leftover head of cauliflower I didn't use from a Blue Apron dinner that called for making cauliflower "rice" from it. Instead I just made regular rice. Curry roasted cauliflower sounds good!

It was! Cauliflower, olive oil, curry powder and salt, roasted for 30 minutes at 425. I otherwise don’t like cauliflower, but I love it roasted. In the fall/winter I roast a couple of sheet pans of broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes and whatever else is around, almost every weekend. We are having unusually cool weather the last couple of days, so I was able to roast and bake a few things.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I otherwise don’t like cauliflower, but I love it roasted.

I'm fine with it in general (and love cauliflower "rice" as a substitute for rice, which I find utterly pointless filler but I sometimes need something like it in a saucy dish), but roasted is my favorite.  I particularly like it roasted with olive oil and red pepper flakes.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Delivery pizza and I tried new (for me) toppings: diced tomatoes & fresh mozzarella.

Add basil, and that's a summertime favorite for me.  Margherita pizza is one of the few with a tomato sauce I love (I prefer pesto, olive oil, alfredo, or another white sauce); the other is a pizza topped with chorizo, cilantro, onions, and jalapeño.

I made roasted curry cauliflower soup with the leftover Blue Apron head of cauliflower, a red onion, and a packet of Vadouvan curry spice. It was very good. I cobbled together various cauliflower soup recipes. One recipe said not to use an immersion blender - didn't get it smooth enough. I ignored that and used an immersion blender and it was nice and creamy.

• Love 1

We tried a Katie Lee recipe--grilled hoisin pork chops, along w/ mashed potatoes, and a Greek salad (leftover from that pizza delivery--it was huge). For "dessert" I had a cup of diet Swiss Miss with a ton of mini marshmallows. I'm ready for autumn!

Edited by annzeepark914

Last of the Blue Apron box that arrived late - Korean style steak and rice bowls with mushrooms, Bok Choy and snap peas. The steak was flank steak that the recipe called for salt, pepper, and a sauté in olive oil. I nixed that and marinated it in olive oil, soy sauce, honey, red wine vinegar, and garlic and we grilled it. Much better. 

• Love 2

Easiest and best marinade I've found for flank steak is Paul Newman's Classic Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing which is what I did last night - started marinating the meat the day before and then grilled it last night. It is super hot and smoky where I live and we are being asked not to use our ovens (or any powered cooking devices) in the evenings as to spare the grid so I guess I'm grilling every night until this is over.

Pan fried scallops in brown butter with cauliflower rice in the butter with preserved lemons from Morocco and sliced garlic and a few capers. Yum, I'm kind of eating a bit upscale as my appetite is down so I am trying new things to make it interesting.

• Love 3

Yesterday, I picked up 1lb of smoked salmon from a local fish guy at the farmer's market next door to my office. I think I'm going to make a cream cheese/sour cream spread (capers, red onion, lemon) and spread it on some crackers with chunks of the salmon on top. I will also try to not eat all 1 lb of the salmon. (It is SO GOOD y''all!!!!!)

Edited by callie lee 29
  • Love 5

I was planning on making roast chicken but the horrible air quality we have had the last few days, a result of smoke from the devastating wild fires in Northern California, has reeked havoc on my throat so used the chicken to make some homemade chicken soup which was very soothing. 

• Love 4

A tweaked Blue Apron dinner except for the roasted carrots. I added sour cream to the garlic mashed potatoes, and marinated the chicken breasts in olive oil, mustard, rosemary, lemon, and garlic and grilled it. Served with the included fromage blanc, mustard, and lemon sauce.

• Love 2

Well, tonight's *simple* supper was Sabrett's hot dogs (made in The Bronx!!) & French fries. Those garlic mashed potatoes ^^^^ are reminding me of Ina's adaptation of  bangers & mash. Haven't made them in a while & they are soooo good. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

My favorite diner reopened for the first stone time since March so breakfast was takeout eggs Benedict and hasbrowns,  they are only a block away so it was still perfect when I got home! 

Mushroom risotto and an arugula salad for dinner. 

• Love 1