Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I had planned to roast a chicken but my boyfriend picked up burritos at lunch from our usual neighborhood place that recently changed hands and came home with the largest burrito I have ever seen, it was so large I weighed it and it came in at just over 2 1/2 lbs so that will be feeding us for the foreseeable future. 

• Love 4

Pork chorizo meatballs and pepper rice with chipotle peanut sauce - compliments of Blue Apron. My box is scheduled to arrive by 9 pm on Fridays. When it wasn't here by 9:30, I contacted Blue Apron and they refunded the cost. It did show up about 11:30 pm.

On 10/3/2020 at 10:40 AM, annzeepark914 said:

I just had a Trader Joe's breakfast: a slice of the Cinnamon Coffeecake & a slice of the Almond Danish Coffeecake. They're both small but oh so tasty. I couldn't decide which one to buy so I bought both.

My hometown is finally getting a Trader Joe’s, by the end of the month. I don’t live anywhere near it, but they’ve been reporting on it on our local news. They already have the sign up & are hiring workers. There’s more info on our Trader Joe’s in the Trader Joe’s thread, in case it’s the closest store for anyone else here.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

My hometown is finally getting a Trader Joe’s, by the end of the month. I don’t live anywhere near it, but they’ve been reporting on it on our local news. They already have the sign up & are hiring workers.

I hadn't been to a TJ's since the days of standing in line and I was out of my favorite items. Everything was great until I got 3/4's of the way through the store. I noticed *lots* of people around me. So I immediately went to check out. Next trip: go when they first open up!! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm tired of cooking. Just picked up a mushroom and sausage pizza from the family business near us.

I was like this just last night and ordered delivery. Wish we had a good pizza delivery near us. Tonight I made chicken piccata, baked tomatoes, peas, & Bob Evans mashed potatoes (Bob saves the day frequently here!)

• Love 1
On 10/6/2020 at 7:01 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Pasta with butter and pepper. It’s my comfort food when my stomach is being weird.

Feel better soon!!  My comfort food when my GI system is cranky:  rice with a little butter, salt & pepper.

We had Rotini with Italian Sweet Turkey Sausage, Mushroom and Zucchini tonight. 

• Love 1

I have several Canadian friends and family and they were all talking about their upcoming Thanksgiving plans because it’s on Monday and I started craving the food so got a split turkey breast, had leftover homemade sourdough, and the store had fresh cranberries so tonight will be thyme roasted turkey breast, sausage and mushroom stuffing, roasted Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes and gravy, fresh cranberry sauce and Japanese milk rolls. I stopped short of making dessert because that is probably the biggest time commitment but the day is still young and everything is made or prepped so there is a good chance I will make pumpkin bread.

• Love 5

It’s our 20th anniversary, so my husband and I braved a restaurant for the first time since early March. I had panko crusted shrimp with a lime vinegrette and served over a cucumber salad for an appetizer, some of my husbands calamari appetizer, which was very lightly battered calamari drizzled with a sweet chili sauce and tossed with mango, grapefruit and cashews (the best calamari I’ve ever had), and for dinner roast pork tenderloin with an apple and bacon jam, served over pureed parsnips with a rosemary cider demi-glaze. Also a delicious glass of autumn sangria, made with merlot,  brandy, and peach liquor. I brought most of the pork home for lunch tomorrow! 

• Love 7

Yesterday it was raining so I did the split pea soup with ham meal. Dang, I should have added some Texas Pete and will next time. I’ll have remember to count the number of shakes. 
Texas Peter to me is a slightly milder version of Tabasco and seems to have less salt. Sometimes I want all the heat, but it makes the food too salty to enjoy. I’m learning to cook with hot peppers instead. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I agree re: Texas Pete--not as hot as Tabasco. There's also sambal oulek (ground fresh chili paste it says but it's not a "paste"). I learned about sambal oulek in an Italian restaurant in Stockholm when I asked the waiter what made their marinara so good. 

• Love 1

Yesterday:  Thanksgiving dinner (yesterday and today = Canadian Thanksgiving):  turkey breast, brussels sprouts, mashed sweet potatoes (which my son LOVES), salad, beans (all from the store) and homemade dinner rolls, cranberry sauce and pumpkin purée cornbread.  We weren't able to have a large gathering (we haven't done in years, anyway), thanks to COVID, but we still wanted to make it as close to "normal" as we could.  Earlier, we had brunch delivered - avo toast for me, eggs benedict for my husband.  Son had a bit of each from us (he's turning 2 this week!!!!!)

Today: lunch was steamed greens and salmon.  We're ordering in tonight (I don't feel like leftovers)!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

There's also sambal oulek (ground fresh chili paste it says but it's not a "paste"). I learned about sambal oulek in an Italian restaurant in Stockholm when I asked the waiter what made their marinara so good. 

I love sambal oelek and use it in many things that most use sriracha in, because I like the spice level and distinct chile flavor created by leaving out the sugar.  Fresh chiles are best, but sometimes I don't have them or don't want to bother, so I always have sambal oelek in the fridge.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LucindaWalsh said:

@Gramto6 Texas Pete is a hot sauce. I don't like hot stuff so this is my limit on what I can manage. It is vineger-ey and smooth with no bitterness that I get from tabasco and most other sauces. I think I have that thing where you taste cilantro differently because I taste most hot sauces as a bitter ashy taste. Texas Pete provides just a bit of warmth and a good tangy-ness to most things. I am not one who enjoys hot things that just numb your mouth, taste bitter, and clear your sinuses. 

Thanks for the explanation. I on the other hand do love a lot of different hot sauces. I always have Sambal Olek in the fridge plus several varieties of Bravado Spice Co hot sauces. My newest favorite is Secret Aardvark Habanero hot sauce I learned about from watching Iron Chef Michael Symon on one of his cooking videos. You only need a few drops of that one...great in my bloody marys! I'll look on Amazon for Texas Pete hot sauce could be a good addition to my collection.

4 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

I think I have that thing where you taste cilantro differently because I taste most hot sauces as a bitter ashy taste.

The specific genetic thing where one tastes cilantro differently (as opposed to just disliking its actual flavor) makes it taste like soap; I've never heard of that being accompanied by chiles/hot sauces tasting bitter and ashy.

• Love 1

Count me in as a sambal ulek fan. I spent a year in Indonesia during college and my host mother taught me to make a bunch of different sambals that I still make today because they are quick, involve a mortar and pestle you can use to get out aggression,  and keep for awhile.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Pierogi, sautéed cabbage with apple-Gouda sausages, and applesauce. Perfect for rainy fall weather.

Oooh yum!!!! That is one of my favorite meals:

I used leftover cranberry sauce to do a port and rosemary sauce for pork chops, leftover mashed potatoes, and roasted broccoli. I used the leftover Japanese milk rolls to make pumpkin bread pudding. 

• Love 2