Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was going to make Blue Apron Spanish-spiced salmon and farro, only to discover they didn't include the spice package and farro. They refunded the meal. I marinated the salmon for grilling, and am serving it with Omaha Steaks twice baked potatoes and green beans,

I have a question for you. I live alone, and don't eat a lot of food at a time. Would I be able to finish off the meals from Blue Apron without having a lot of waste? The foods you mention sound really good, but would it work for a single?

8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I have a question for you. I live alone, and don't eat a lot of food at a time. Would I be able to finish off the meals from Blue Apron without having a lot of waste? The foods you mention sound really good, but would it work for a single?

The meal plans are for 2 or 4 people. If you got the 2 servings plan of 3 meals, that would last you 6 meals a week if you don't mind eating leftovers. There may be other meal kit plans that are single serving, but there are 2 of us, so it works.

• Love 1

Those Blue Apron meals really do sound delicious. I enjoy cooking but not every night. We do delivery once a week (last night was Chinese--I have them tone down the heat in their Chicken Curry!) But maybe if places like Blue Apron or Hello Fresh have a once a week plan, that might work well for me.

I did not feel like cooking at all last evening, so I made some salmon salad with one of those cute little pouches full of wild salmon: mayo, chopped red onion, chopped celery, fresh ground black pepper and lashings of dry dill weed. Had it with some delicious rosemary/olive oil crackers and fresh sliced tomatoes and a few glasses of chenin blanc.

• Love 2

Braised short ribs, sautéed mushrooms and pearl onions, mashed potatoes, and roasted broccoli. Frankly all I really wanted to eat was the broccoli. I have what might be an unhealthy love of roasted broccoli. I also made broccoli and cheese soup for the week, croutons with a half a baguette I found in the freezer, and a loaf of semolina rye bread. (Looking at this list, now I know why I’m tired and it’s only 7pm.)

• Love 4

We have been very fortunate that we haven’t had difficulty finding things during the pandemic with the exception of certain types of pasta, jumbo shells and bucatini* in our case, so was delighted that my boyfriend found both over the weekend. Tonight it’s cheesy stuffed shells and a Cesar salad.

*interesting and entertaining article about Big Pasta and the reasons that some pasta shapes have been difficult to find.

• LOL 1
On 1/10/2021 at 4:09 PM, MargeGunderson said:

I also made broccoli and cheese soup for the week,

I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow, and was undecided on what type of soup I wanted to make next (I almost always have some in the fridge for lunches, and just finished my batch of sausage and kale), but that's sounding particularly good right now, so I've made a note on my list to get extra broccoli and some half and half, and that's what I'm going to make.  I'm glad you mentioned it.

I'm thawing some shrimp, having decided on shrimp tacos with mango and avocado slaw tonight.  I make them a lot, but they're just so damn good.  If I didn't try to keep half an eye on carbs, I could eat tacos or pizza every night - so many options.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow, and was undecided on what type of soup I wanted to make next (I almost always have some in the fridge for lunches, and just finished my batch of sausage and kale), but that's sounding particularly good right now, so I've made a note on my list to get extra broccoli and some half and half, and that's what I'm going to make.  I'm glad you mentioned it.

I'm thawing some shrimp, having decided on shrimp tacos with mango and avocado slaw tonight.  I make them a lot, but they're just so damn good.  If I didn't try to keep half an eye on carbs, I could eat tacos or pizza every night - so many options.

@Bastet, do you have a recipe for the tacos and slaw you can share? I love shrimp tacos but haven’t food a recipe I love, and avocado slaw sounds delicious!

It's my fix-it version of a recipe I saw online years ago, @MargeGunderson, and I just eyeball things, but here's what I'd say for six tacos:

Dressing:
1-1/2 T mayonnaise
1 tsp sambal oelek (could use sriracha instead)
Juice of 1 lime
A pinch of sugar (I'd omit this if you use sriracha)
1/2 T chopped cilantro

Slaw:
1/2 (heaping) cup each red and green cabbage, thinly sliced
Half a mango, thinly sliced
A quarter of a red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Half an avocado, thinly sliced

Shrimp:
24 shrimp (extra-large size), peeled and deveined (so, four shrimp per taco)

Tortillas:
6 corn tortillas, warmed

Mix the dressing ingredients together and toss 1 T of it with the shrimp.
Mix the slaw ingredients together and toss with the remaining dressing.  Let everything sit, covered in the refrigerator, for about an hour.
Sauté the shrimp until fully cooked while warming the tortillas.
Assemble and enjoy.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
On 1/17/2021 at 8:39 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Take out from a BBQ place - pulled chicken, baby back ribs, macaroni and cheese, coleslaw, collard greens and green beans. It was all so good, and there are lots of leftovers. 

I don't know how I missed this. I love these foods & used to get them when I lived in Raleigh. Now I need to find a bbq place nearby 🙂

On 1/15/2021 at 5:26 PM, Mindthinkr said:

@Bastet That recipe looks really good, but I’m allergic to shrimp.
Do you think that it would taste similar if I used chicken instead? 

I think the dressing/slaw goes particularly well with seafood, so I'd substitute scallops, crab, tilapia, red snapper, or mahi-mahi, instead. 

• Useful 1
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I think the dressing/slaw goes particularly well with seafood, so I'd substitute scallops, crab, tilapia, red snapper, or mahi-mahi, instead. 

I would, but I’m allergic to anything out of the sea except clams and oysters. It blows as I know there is a lot of good stuff that I am missing out on. 

Just now, Mindthinkr said:

I would, but I’m allergic to anything out of the sea except clams and oysters. It blows as I know there is a lot of good stuff that I am missing out on.

Oh, that sucks.  Clams or oysters would work, too; I like oysters better, but for tacos I'd probably go with clams.

• Love 1

I broke down and bought an air fryer so I made crunchy french toast. They are very crunchy (you coat it in cereal, I used special k they recommend cinnamon toast crunch). It's pretty good, not overly sweet or gooey like some french toast always seems to be. 

• Love 1

Winter has finally arrived here in central coastal California, so I am making chili Colorado which will probably feed me for at least 3 suppers. I use lean stew beef (not ground beef), brown onion chopped coarsely, lots and lots of fresh chopped garlic, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, and cayenne.  No beans! I've found its best to make over the course of an afternoon so it can simmer for a few hours, then cool, then refrigerate and wait to eat the following day. Delayed gratification cooking!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2