Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

My and Mr. Lovecat’s 3rd wedding anniversary is on Wednesday, so we’re having a nice dinner a couple days early tonight, since it’s a holiday and we have time to cook and bake.  We’re having London broil, corn from our CSA, and potatoes (also from our CSA), either grilled or mashed (he’s in charge of the spuds and hasn’t decided yet 🙂 ).  I’m making an Irish cream pound cake with Irish cream whipped cream, since the top of our wedding cake (which we enjoyed on our 1st anniversary) had Irish cream filling.  Simple, but delicious.

• Love 6

Our heatwave continues but I had meat I needed to use up and a hankering for meatloaf so used the Instantpot to make some this morning and will have meatloaf sandwiches and a spinach and apple salad for dinner. 

Since I am currently living in a dark orange hellscape (so dark the streetlights never turned off) making a comforting meal of split pea and ham soup with homemade sourdough. We also had too many carrots and some leftover pineapple so made a pineapple carrot cake for dessert. 

• Love 6

Breakfast:  Typical Thursday of hardboiled egg (whites only), kefir/yogurt with a small amount of dried cereal and supplements.  Coffee and water to wash it down.

Lunch:  Oat pasta with kidney beans, tomatoes and greens (and something my parents and many family members would criticize me for...not because I'm not cooking cultural (Chinese) food, but because it's not "standard")

Dinner tonight will likely be something with chicken, mushrooms and tomatoes.

20 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Air quality continues be absolute shit but luckily it’s cooled down enough so we can close the windows and not get ash or smoke inside. So chicken udon soup with a ton of ginger and chili.

Stay safe. It literally looks like hell out west!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Stay safe. It literally looks like hell out west!

Thank you, my iPhone camera kept trying to  color correct because it was flummoxed by what it was capturing. Luckily we don’t actually have to deal with the flames unlike so many others. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Air quality continues be absolute shit

Yep; I was going to grill tonight, but I don't want to have to stand outside for any length of time since the air is pretty smoky before I add to it!  So I'm switching gears entirely, and have just ordered Thai food - Sai Krok Isan, a papaya and blue crab salad, and chicken panang.  Lots of leftovers!

• Love 2

Today we hit purple on the Air Quality index, meaning very unhealthy. Luckily we don’t need to leave the house for any reason for the next few days.

Since we don’t have any sunlight for the third straight day, I am making an extremely yellow corn chowder with roasted cherry tomatoes on top and another loaf of homemade sourdough. I don’t know how I would get through all this garbage if I had issues with gluten! 

I picked up beef stroganoff from a very nice restaurant on the way home tonight. I like it and I don't get it a lot (oddly I don't like mushrooms though) so I was very excited. 

It was not good.

So I'm having a bowl (or two) of Peeps cereal. Paired with a very nice Russian River pinot noir.

• Love 2

In quarantine I have really upped my breakfast game because the two diners near me have been closed for most of quarantine and this morning my hash browns were crispy perfection and I did some poached eggs and ham steak.

I made 100 dumplings to freeze for later so dinner was a quick spaghetti with burst cherry tomatoes, basil and goat cheese.

• Love 1

I was able to get some wild caught halibut on sale (halibut is usually way too pricey nowadays for me, though I love it) and was planning on grilling it but the air quality is still just too bad here to stand outside long enough to grill. So risking drying the lovely fish out, I squeezed a bunch of Meyer lemon juice on the filet, liberally doused it with garlic powder and fresh ground black pepper and then put several pats of butter on top. Put it under the broiler and it came out extremely well. Shared some with the ruling feline, who seemed appreciative 🙂 Lovely cantelope for dessert.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

As today is my birthday, lasagna from our favorite takeout place and cupcakes! (No calories when eaten on one's birthday. I have spoken!  😎)

It’s also my birthday! Happy Birthday!

For lunch I ate out for the first time since March, outdoors in individual pods at my favorite place in the world Swan’s Oyster Depot and had a dozen oysters, crab Louie, smoked salmon, scallop crudo, sourdough bread and washed it down with anchor steam.

Tonight we are having a socially distanced gathering in my friends backyard with pulled pork, coleslaw, potato salad, homemade dill pickles, and chocoflan for dessert. 

i will be wearing roomy maxi dresses for the forseable future!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8

Has anyone made Ina's cupcakes with the cream cheese/coconut  frosting?  When we were discussing wedding cakes, I remembered the last reception we attended where instead of cake, they had tiers of white buttercream frosted cupcakes (vanilla or chocolate). No one missed a cake as we all selected our favorite flavored cupcakes.

Just finished feeding myself and a too hardworking friend (working all the way through the weekend poor soul) a big green salad with lots of avocado, grilled spicy chicken, homemade sweet potato fries with chocolate truffle ice cream for dessert. Super easy, super yum.

• Love 1

Brunch:  hardboiled eggs and green salad w/ toast

Dinner later tonight:  Leftover middle eastern takeout (namely chicken skewers, chicken schwarma, tabule and reheated pita) from last night and maybe some seaweed salad.  May or may not heat up some apple cake I made for Rosh Hashanah

• Love 1

I am watching a 9 year old who is obsessed with Parks and Rec so tonight is individual calzones with pepperoni, red pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, and black olives among the options plus spicy roasted cauliflower and an arugula salad on the side because she just discovered she loves it. 

• Love 1

Leftover tacos was tonight, but I'm super excited for lunch at work tomorrow. We're doing an office lunch and ordering out from a local mexican place that I recommended: shredded chicken with rice and black beans, fried pork chops with yellow rice and red beans, beef empanadas (& chicken but I'm all about the beef baby), and churros.  I am definitely sneaking leftovers home!!!

• Love 2

Blue Apron - creamy chipotle chicken with cilantro rice and cotija cheese. I was thinking of stopping my Blue Apron subscription, and then they come up with a winner like this. It's definitely not something I'd make without being given the ingredients.

Takeout night and our neighborhood sushi restaurant finally reopened and is doing a friends and family test run. So we got chirashi with all the best fish available and purple rice that was so prettily presented I almost didn’t want to eat it but that only last a few seconds, their house made tofu with mushrooms and one of my favorite sakes that is made especially for them. So amazingly delicious! 

Edited by biakbiak