Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Summer Spaghetti for supper tonight.

What's summer spaghetti?  

Lunch today:  Steamed greens and tempeh

Dinner:  chilli and almond flour crusted chicken tacos and grilled vegetables.

11 minutes ago, PRgal said:

What's summer spaghetti?  

“A wonderful summertime pasta, easily assembled if you prepare the sauce ahead of time. The mix of the cold salad with the hot spaghetti creates a great taste. This sauce benefits from sitting for a few hours to allow the flavors to meld, so you can even make it before you leave for work in the morning. Leftovers are fought over in my house, and are enjoyed either at room temperature as a salad, or warmed.  This sauce can be used as a dressing for pasta salad, as a topping for grilled fish or chicken, or even as a bruschetta topping.”  Serves 4   Source:  Deborah Mele
SUMMER SPAGHETTI—(adapted)
1 lb ripe tomatoes, seeded
1 medium onion
6 green olives (w/o pimientos), sliced
2 medium garlic cloves –or less
1/3 cup Italian parsley
2 Tbsps fresh basil
2 tsps rinsed & drained capers
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup light olive oil
Salt & Pepper
1/2 tsp oregano or marjoram
1 lb spaghetti
Parmesan or Pecorino Cheese (if desired)
Chop tomatoes coarsely. Chop onion & olives. Mince the garlic. Combine tomatoes, onion, olives, garlic, parsley, basil, capers,  pepper flakes & oregano. Drizzle vinegar over tomato mixture, then pour over oil. Mix well; refrigerate at least 5-6 hours.  Cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain & mix immediately with the chilled sauce. Serve at once, offering cheese if desired.

My note:  I use Roma tomatoes &/or Campari tomatoes, & make this “sauce” year-round.  I use small garlic cloves; otherwise it can get quite garlicky.  I also sprinkle ½ tsp sugar over the mixture before stirring, just to make sure the tomatoes will have that good tomato taste (unless I can get really *good* tomatoes).

• Love 2

Grilled marinated salmon*, twice baked potatoes (Omaha Steaks), and steamed asparagus. I'm trying to empty the freezer since we are supposed to get a new refrigerator on Friday (we ordered it over 6 weeks ago). Trying to make freezer space so everything will fit in the garage fridge freezer.

*managed to get it cooked just before thunderstorms rolled in.

Beef tacos and grilled corn on the cob.

After reading the ingredients in Ortega's Mild taco seasoning mix (maltodextrin, corn starch, salt, chili pepper, sugar. Contains less than 2% or less of spice, vegetable oil, onion powder, silicon dioxide (anticaking agent), garlic powder, natural flavor), I decided to make my own. I already had all the ingredients. It was much better than the Ortega mix.

• Love 3

Blue Apron quiche with goat cheese - swapped out asparagus for the corn (we ate that last night with our tacos). Side of Bibb lettuce salad.

One of the eggs was broken. When I contacted Blue Apron, they comped the meal. I've yet to pay $20 for an egg. 😆

• Love 1
17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Chinese delivery: sweet & sour soup and Grandma's Bean Curd for Mr. P914. Chicken curry and spring rolls for me. 

Grandma's Bean Curd...you mean MaPo Tofu (that's the only thing which comes to mind.  Ma = paternal grandmother; Po = maternal grandmother)?  

What I'm eating today:

Breakfast: thawed berries, yogurt, kefir and a sprinkle of no sugar added cold cereal

Lunch: Steamed greens and arctic char, a slice of homemade multigrain soda bread

Dinner:  Freezer leftovers (turkey and riced broccoli) and corn salad

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Grandma's Bean Curd...you mean MaPo Tofu (that's the only thing which comes to mind.  Ma = paternal grandmother; Po = maternal grandmother)?  

I have no idea... that's all it's called on the menu and I don't order it for myself. But MaPoTofu is something he orders at other restaurants.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I have no idea... that's all it's called on the menu and I don't order it for myself. But MaPoTofu is something he orders at other restaurants.

Yep.  Except in this case, they don't mean "Ma" as in paternal grandmother, but a pocket marks.  And "po" can also mean a woman above a certain age (it's supposed to be respectful, but many boomer women HATE the term.  Unless they ARE grandmothers).  

• Love 1

Cheese and Triscuits with a glass of Prosecco.

Dinner plans were scuttled when a neighbor arrived to help modify kitchen cabinets so our new refrigerator will fit. Irony being the new fridge now has no ETA - best estimate is sometime in the next 6 MONTHS!

Edited by chessiegal

Sorry @chessiegal hopefully it will arrive in 2020!

For breakfast I made cape gooseberry scones with homemade clotted cream.

For dinner I realized we had some roast pork in the freezer and some ham so I made some rolls and  did Cubanos with potato salad and corn on the cob.

BLTs for lunch. Dinner will be shrimp and grits, with oven fried okra on the side (I was supposed to make this last night, but I was too lazy to do it). I’m also making Salted Cookie Crinkle Top Brownies, which are chocolate chip cookie dough on the bottom with a layer of Nutella brownie on top. 

ETA - brownies are just okay. They turned out a it dry and cakey. I may have over baked them a little. Good with coffee or ice cream.

Edited by MargeGunderson
13 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’m also making Salted Cookie Crinkle Top Brownies, which are chocolate chip cookie bard on the bottom with a layer of Nutella brownie on top. 

Um, recipe please?????

For lunch there was steamed artichokes that were used as a delivery system for spicy homemade mayo and lemon butter sauce.

Dinner tonight will be an omakase from our closest sushi restaurant that finally reopened for takeout. I love not making decisions! 

I haven't yet decided what dinner is going to be (I went grocery shopping this afternoon, so I have many options), but I'm currently having some Talenti salted caramel truffle gelato as an "appetizer".

• LOL 3

For lunch I made Adjaruli Khachapuri (Georgian Cheese Bread), that was yummy, gooey goodness and a simple arugula salad.

Dinner will be a quinoa salad with avocado and shrimp.

Edited by biakbiak

I was inspired by someone here posting about making lamb shanks to get a very nice and large lamb chop so last night I grilled it on top of some branches of rosemary from my garden and liberally seasoned with salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder. So yummy!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

We had beautiful weather yesterday - sunny, high in the low 80s, low humidity. Dinner was grilled chicken breasts marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and rosemary, scalloped potatoes, steamed asparagus, and radicchio coleslaw served with a glass of chardonnay. We ate on the porch and ended up sitting out there enjoying the evening until bedtime.

I have no idea what's for dinner, but I just had a BLT for lunch that hit the spot perfectly.  I always love them, looking forward to tomato season every year, but, man, this one really did it for me.  Especially after my usual two Bloody Marys for Sunday breakfast.  🙂  I got distracted by a phone call and toasted the bread a bit more than I normally do, but I think I'll do it like that from now on.

• Love 3

I made lobster rolls for lunch, since we haven’t been comfortable dining out. I bought pre-cooked meat, so it was easy. Dinner will be oven fried chicken, braised green beans, creamed corn (homemade with fresh corn) and maybe hush puppies (ETA - nope, too lazy). I was going to make a peach crumble pie, but my peaches aren’t quite ripe yet.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2

We just had Katie Lee's Breakfast Bread for Sunday supper (we now have them on flour tortillas instead of naan). I'm still struggling trying to get the eggs just right (sunnyside eggs baked are trickier than cooked in a skillet). It was good. Geez, there have been some tasty meals mentioned here: BLT's, lobster rolls, fried chicken, marinated grilled chicken etc. It's inspiring!!

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

We just had Katie Lee's Breakfast Bread for Sunday supper (we now have them on flour tortillas instead of naan). I'm still struggling trying to get the eggs just right (sunnyside eggs baked are trickier than cooked in a skillet). It was good. Geez, there have been some tasty meals mentioned here: BLT's, lobster rolls, fried chicken, marinated grilled chicken etc. It's inspiring!!

I had to look up the recipe for the breakfast bread - that looks good! I love breakfast food, so it’s right up my alley.

• Love 2