Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I needed a break from cooking (or even thinking about cooking) so we ordered & picked up crabcake sandwich dinners from our neighborhood golf course restaurant. They were good (for inland crabcake sammies 😊) and I enjoyed being able to concentrate on the news.

• Love 2

With a forecast of 4-8 inches of snow for today, I made red lentil soup with North African spices for lunch. We're having meatloaf, potatoes, and green beans for dinner. So far, the snow has fizzled out. It's been snowing since midnight and we don't even have an inch. The roads are clear.

I picked a bunch of Thai basil this afternoon, so I'm going to make a stir fry with that, Thai chiles, and chicken, with brown sauce.  The side salad will be red and green cabbage with chile lime dressing and a sprinkling of cilantro.

• Love 1

I did my super easy version of tandoori chicken: mix plain yogurt with some very hot curry paste (Patak makes good curry paste that comes in a glass jar and lasts in your refrigerator forever) and marinate the chicken thighs in the mixture, then bake low and slow until done. Accompanied with a lovely tangerine for dessert and a few glasses of chenin blanc.

• Love 2

We got some lovely jamon Iberico so did tapas! Pan con tomato with the iberico, a soufflé omelette with  piquillo peppers, garlic shrimp, mushrooms in garlic sauce, bacon wrapped dates, and a croquette with leftover green rice and manchego. 

• Love 3

I've decided to make spaghetti aglia e olio with shrimp.  Aglia e olio is the only way I'll eat spaghetti noodles, and I have some that have been hanging around the pantry for a long time.  The salad will be arugula, radicchio, and endive with balsamic vinaigrette and pine nuts.

That will pretty much use up the last of my greens, other than some cabbage, so I will have to venture out to the market tomorrow.

• Love 1

I wanted to make a meatloaf, but didn't have any ground beef, so I thawed some Omaha Steaks hamburgers and made one, served with green beans and seasoned oven potatoes. Omaha Steaks chocolate caramel mousse cups for dessert.

• Love 1

Slow cooker thick-cut pork chops in barbecue sauce with onions and peppers.  Added some green beans at the end.  Served 2 of my neighbors and they were thrilled (it's a Covid thing.. we all share cooking, recipes, and feeding).

• Love 1

I'm putting the grill master to work tonight while we have no snow on the deck or grill. Filet mignon, baked potato, and broccoli.

They've been having a hard time predicting the snow this winter, but because we live on the Chesapeake Bay, our weather can be different than 30 miles to our west.

31 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

comeback sauce

I had to look that up.  I only like mustard that has no vinegar in it, and I don't much care for ketchup, but I think if I used my own mustard (which is just mustard powder and water) and kept the ketchup minimal, I'd find that a tasty dipping sauce.  I'll file that away in the back of my mind.

Tomato cheese omelets with bacon and biscuits.

My husband made the bacon. When he got it out of the fridge he remarked about how much food we had. Based on weather forecasts, I'm prepared to be iced in. Hope not, but as long as we don't lose electricity, we're ready to stay put for awhile.

• Love 1

Shrimp cocktail, spinach salad with pine nuts, sun dried tomatoes, and basil vinaigrette, and fettuccine Alfredo. I bought mini sfogliatelle from Whole Foods for dessert, but I don’t think I’m going to eat mine today. Oh, and a large glass of sangria. 

• Love 2

My parents knowing the way to my heart is rarely chicolate sent us a huge ass care package from Russ and Daughters so it was bagels, cream cheese, smoked salmon, whitefish salad, pickled herring and because sometimes chocolate does hit the mark chocolate babka! 

• Love 6

This is more of WHAT ARE WE MAKING TODAY?  I was up at 4:30am.. It is now 6:30 am.  I am making chinese chop suey (because my girlfriend/hairdresser) gave me a recipe.. the only thing i couldn't get was water chestnuts.. It will still be good.. and my neighbor was over here yesterday (trying to get some tech stuff working.. i have no clue) but he said he LOVED my slow cooker pork chops/barbecue sauce with peppers and onions - so i'm making that later for him.  I love to cook and I love to share it with my friends.. and if they like it?  Even better.

• Love 1

Today’s (Thursday) is the seventh day of the Lunar New Year and according to tradition, is “human day” or “everyone’s birthday.”  It’s customary to eat long noodles to symbolize longevity (people eat long noodles on their real birthday as well).  I made a dan dan mien inspired dish I’ve called Cin Cin mien.  Ummm, it’s not really all that Chinese except for soy sauce.  Instead of Chinese sesame paste, I used hummus (it has tahini in it, so why not, right?) and almond butter instead of peanut butter.....

87688550-0B71-4D25-A5D2-EEFCDD69ACF3.jpeg

• Love 5

My boyfriend’s bike ride took him near a restaurant we haven’t been to since last March so we had a feast of chili crab, Dan Dan noodles, beef rolls, mapo tofu, and dry fried long beans. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

My next door neighbors decided to grow stuff in raised garden beds starting last March (well, what else did we have to do?) and we have been trading herbs and such; last week I gave them a big bag of my Myers lemons and in return got a wonderful full bag of freshly picked thyme. So although it is decidedly not Thanksgiving, I made a turkey breast with lots of garlic, thyme, a bit of black pepper and butter and it came out wonderfully for dinner last night. Now I have turkey leftovers for a few days yay!

• Love 3